PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody here know how to read Chinese or Japanese?

Natla'd
30-04-06, 20:14
If so, could they tell me if any of these me are used as "Tomb Raider" in those languages?:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/MissNatla/TRjch.gif

The top line is Japanese, the middle name is Simple Chinese, the bottom line is Traditional Chinese. I got them from a online translator, and when I put them through google, some Tomb Raider-related links seem to come up.

Thanks in advance! I'm researching for my next tattoo. :D

- Id -
30-04-06, 20:18
Unfortunately I couldn't get in touch with my Japanese close girl friend, but if no one's translated it for tomorrow or something I'll post here as soon as possible. :)

Natla'd
30-04-06, 20:23
Thank you, Id! :)

t-unit
30-04-06, 20:27
I find both of the chinese lines a little inaccurate.

But since japanese and chinese letters are similar I find the japanese translation of tomb raider is moast accurate, it pretty much says tomb raider (or tomb invading person).

Legend of Lara
30-04-06, 21:30
I don't understand much Japanese/Chinese but I find these lagnuages fascinating and I am learning Japanese slowly. Aaaaaaaah... taiko!

Lost_Raider
30-04-06, 22:04
Well in Chinese that is not the offical trade mark of "Tomb Raider"...

This is the offical trade mark...
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3098/tombraider7nw.png

The Chinese translation you have means "Grave/Tomb Invader"...

My limited understanding of Japanese tells me the Japanese translation is along the same line.

Natla'd
30-04-06, 22:28
This is the offical trade mark...
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3098/tombraider7nw.png

Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted! Is there any way you could write it so I can copy-and-paste? :)

Lost_Raider
30-04-06, 22:33
I'll try to paste but you better have the proper encoding in you Internet browser...the encoding is Simplified Chinese GB2312 in IE6 browser on my computer...

古墓丽影(Tomb Raider)

Do you know the last two characters in the translation does not mean "Raider"?? :D

SlinkyRaider
30-04-06, 23:46
墓侵入者 I found this one. It looks different from this one:
古墓丽影

I used the dictionary.com translator.

Legend of Lara
30-04-06, 23:46
My PC can't display Japanese/Chinese letters. :( Even more annoying than than that buggy kaeru-kun.

SlinkyRaider
30-04-06, 23:49
Did you try dictionary.com? It is a good source for translating!

Lost_Raider
30-04-06, 23:49
My PC can't display Japanese/Chinese letters. :( Even more annoying than than that buggy kaeru-kun.

Download this encoding for your IE - Simplified Chinese GB2312

It should be availbe online in Microsoft Website...

Don't know anything about Japanese encoding...but I have all three encoding as a bundle...

Traditional Chinese is Traditional Chinese Big5 encoding...

Legend of Lara
30-04-06, 23:50
Download this encoding for your IE - Simplified Chinese GB2312

It should be availbe online in Microsoft Website...

Thank you.

Lost_Raider
30-04-06, 23:52
Edit: nvm...

Tomb Raider games in China are sold under the name 古墓丽影...

It does not directly translate into Tomb Raider...but it is a protected legal trade-mark for the game.