PDA

View Full Version : Americans Abroad!

tha_mattster
02-05-06, 19:30
I dont know if this was a news story in the US but it was here in the UK. The US state department is giving advice about personal conduct for americans who go abroad. Do Americans need this advice? And for Americans on this forum what do you think about it? Here is some of the advice the US government is giving:

---------

Think as big as you like but talk and act smaller. (In many countries, any form of boasting is considered very rude. Talking about wealth, power or status - corporate or personal - can create resentment.)

Listen at least as much as you talk. (By all means, talk about America and your life in our country. But also ask people you're visiting about themselves and their way of life.)

Save the lectures for your kids. (Whatever your subject of discussion, let it be a discussion not a lecture. Justified or not, the US is seen as imposing its will on the world.)

Think a little locally. (Try to find a few topics that are important in the local popular culture. Remember, most people in the world have little or no interest in the World Series or the Super Bowl. What we call "soccer" is football everywhere else. And it's the most popular sport on the planet.)

Slow down. (We talk fast, eat fast, move fast, live fast. Many cultures do not.)

Speak lower and slower. (A loud voice is often perceived as bragging. A fast talker can be seen as aggressive and threatening.)

Your religion is your religion and not necessarily theirs. (Religion is usually considered deeply personal, not a subject for public discussions.)

If you talk politics, talk - don't argue. (Steer clear of arguments about American politics, even if someone is attacking US politicians or policies. Agree to disagree.)

MiCkiZ88
02-05-06, 19:34
funny list... does US really think this lowly about their people? :confused:

CerebralAssassin
02-05-06, 19:34
I dont know if this was a news story in the US but it was here in the UK. The US state department is giving advice about personal conduct for americans who go abroad. Do Americans need this advice? And for Americans on this forum what do you think about it? Here is some of the advice the US government is giving:

---------

Think as big as you like but talk and act smaller. (In many countries, any form of boasting is considered very rude. Talking about wealth, power or status - corporate or personal - can create resentment.)

Listen at least as much as you talk. (By all means, talk about America and your life in our country. But also ask people you're visiting about themselves and their way of life.)

Save the lectures for your kids. (Whatever your subject of discussion, let it be a discussion not a lecture. Justified or not, the US is seen as imposing its will on the world.)

Think a little locally. (Try to find a few topics that are important in the local popular culture. Remember, most people in the world have little or no interest in the World Series or the Super Bowl. What we call "soccer" is football everywhere else. And it's the most popular sport on the planet.)

Slow down. (We talk fast, eat fast, move fast, live fast. Many cultures do not.)

Speak lower and slower. (A loud voice is often perceived as bragging. A fast talker can be seen as aggressive and threatening.)

Your religion is your religion and not necessarily theirs. (Religion is usually considered deeply personal, not a subject for public discussions.)

If you talk politics, talk - don't argue. (Steer clear of arguments about American politics, even if someone is attacking US politicians or policies. Agree to disagree.)
I'm an American but there is absolutely no way I can talk fast:vlol: :vlol:

tombraider_roxs
02-05-06, 20:11
Good post. :tmb:

I don't personally have to worry about this when I were to go abroad, as I don't talk alot.. and speak way to low for anyone to understand me. :)

There are rather annoying people everywhere in the world, so I don't understand why this should just be for Americans. I went to Walmart yesterday, and I did percieve people as rather rude. Two women were standing in front of the grocery freezer doors for about half an hour, blocking everyones way and talking loudly.. also when we were in line there were three people laughing very loudly and using profanity, saying they were going to "kill someone." -Sighs- I wish people would respect others in public atleast..

Airave
02-05-06, 20:52
I've been an American Abroad for about 20 years.
People love me everywhere I go:) Am proud of that too.

I give and get respect without even trying.

xMiSsCrOfTx
02-05-06, 20:57

Hmm, as an American, I can't say those things apply to me...

belter_21
02-05-06, 20:59
I've been an American Abroad for about 20 years.
People love me everywhere I go:) Am proud of that too.

I give and get respect without even trying.
LOL good for you. :) In my personal experience the Yanks are polite and - dare I say it - quite modest too - the ones I've met.
I've encountered only one or too loud ones but what country doesn't have those. :) Those things listed are really just common sense and polite behaviour, imho, I was given similar advice before visting the Middle East.

GodOfLight
02-05-06, 23:08

---------

good god! now even our own country sees us americans as stupid. this is defenetly the end :vlol:

Lenochka
02-05-06, 23:19

• Listen at least as much as you talk. (By all means, talk about America and your life in our country. But also ask people you're visiting about themselves and their way of life.)

• Save the lectures for your kids. (Whatever your subject of discussion, let it be a discussion not a lecture. Justified or not, the US is seen as imposing its will on the world.)

• Think a little locally. (Try to find a few topics that are important in the local popular culture. Remember, most people in the world have little or no interest in the World Series or the Super Bowl. What we call "soccer" is football everywhere else. And it's the most popular sport on the planet.)

• Slow down. (We talk fast, eat fast, move fast, live fast. Many cultures do not.)

• Speak lower and slower. (A loud voice is often perceived as bragging. A fast talker can be seen as aggressive and threatening.)

• Your religion is your religion and not necessarily theirs. (Religion is usually considered deeply personal, not a subject for public discussions.)

• If you talk politics, talk - don't argue. (Steer clear of arguments about American politics, even if someone is attacking US politicians or policies. Agree to disagree.)

omg :vlol: :vlol: im an american and i find this the funniest thing i have ever seen XD XD XD XD

This is just absurd XD you cant just tell people to change there attitude.
lets see... You cant just tell someone to stop talking fast if they grew up talking at that speed then they did dont try to change that XD
Omg XD you can go anywhere and there will be people trying to have more join there religion.
the last part makes me laugh the most XD umm when you discuss things like politics people can debate about it... Debate is basically arguing XD

I have to thank the person or persons who made this list gave me the biggest laugh in a while XD

Osojojo
02-05-06, 23:48
Don't laugh, there are definitely some Americans who should and need to read this before leaving the US ;)

And I personally do talk really fast. So fast that mywordsgetjumbleduplikethis =]

CerebralAssassin
02-05-06, 23:54
I personally beleive that I'm the slowest-talking person in here,and I'm american for god's sake..:p

average stalker
03-05-06, 00:15
wow do they really believe americans are that stupid? obviously if you go to a different country the culture isn't going to be the same as yours.

RedTyga
03-05-06, 00:44
I think that list was intended for Southerners >_>

(j/k ... kinda)

ILG49ers
03-05-06, 01:35
Well, none of those things apply to me.

CerebralAssassin
03-05-06, 01:36
I think that list was intended for Southerners >_>

(j/k ... kinda)
:vlol:

Capt. Murphy
03-05-06, 01:54
About talking fast: I worked with this one lady and whenever I'd have to call work for whatever reason she'd answer and after she'd finish I'd be like; "....what?" She must've had too much Regular coffee or something. :cln:
Talking with me will go slow, and quiet, most of the time that is. I'm more of a listener anyway. :)

This list does seem funny, but I wouldn't doubt any of the 'resentment' other countries have for America. We're seen as an SUV driving, gas guzzling, money spending... type of... place. :confused: Well, not all of us are like that. The one's with the money can afford to go abroad, they're the ones that usually are obnoxious.

Working at a hotel there are these frequent guest called Priority Club Memebers. Most of them are real jerks. So I wonder about most of the people that travel internationally. :pi:

tha_mattster
03-05-06, 02:14
I live in a city that has loads of american tourists, they are always friendly but there is a joke about an american who commented

'Isnt it great how they built the castle next to the station!'

What I dont understand is why americans always wear jeans and cheap white trainers ('sneakers' to you yanks!) its like they are dressing down to visit us!

If I ever go to the US I will be sure to ask where the wild west is, and where do the simpsons live, and is it true you drink petroleum?

Spitfire
03-05-06, 02:43
yeah...more small sentences that are supposed to summarize my Nationality....Sorry but most of those don't apply to me and im very american...

tha_mattster
03-05-06, 03:51
yeah...more small sentences that are supposed to summarize my Nationality....Sorry but most of those don't apply to me and im very american...

not according to your state department! (looks at your avatar) I think your from Pluto, spirfire.

Spitfire
03-05-06, 03:54
not according to your state department! (looks at your avatar) I think your from Pluto, spirfire.

>.>

Who told you!?:p

Lord Icon
03-05-06, 04:38
I live in a city that has loads of american tourists, they are always friendly but there is a joke about an american who commented

'Isnt it great how they built the castle next to the station!'

People like that are everywhere. Trust me... I lived in Europe for 30 years and you wouldn't believe what kind of comments or "dumb" questions people from European coutries make when they travel to other European countries. Just because they're from Europe that doesn't mean they understand other European cultures.

What I dont understand is why americans always wear jeans and cheap white trainers ('sneakers' to you yanks!) its like they are dressing down to visit us!

That's one example of not understanding others. They dress like that because is more comfortable and practical when you're travel. When they go to cities like London, Paris etc. for business or to stay in, what you call 5 stars hotels, oviously they will dress accordingly. Japanese tourists do exactly the same. When they go to Waikiki in Honolulu they dress (what you would call "nice") but when they're exploring the city they're wearing jeans and sneakers (that's white trainers to you!).

If I ever go to the US I will be sure to ask where the wild west is, and where do the simpsons live, and is it true you drink petroleum?

Make sure to do that. Then they will make a joke about someone from Scotland asking about Simpsons.

tha_mattster
03-05-06, 04:58
I wasnt being serious! I didnt mean to anger you :(

My point about jeans and white trainers was why specifically they are the items of choice. I do realise the need to dress comfortably when your travelling. My little joke about the simpsons was just taking the idea of ignorant tourists to the extreme, I was not implying american people would believe it!

Lenochka
03-05-06, 10:30
Don't laugh, there are definitely some Americans who should and need to read this before leaving the US ;)

And I personally do talk really fast. So fast that mywordsgetjumbleduplikethis =]

why not laugh? its got to be the funniest thing i have ever seen. Do they really think we are like that XD what do they mean about religion XD the U.S. is a country of immigrants i would have to say we have more cultural & religious diversity than any other country i can think of. This is just the gov trying to act like " ohhh we know how to teach our peeps to be better people were taking charge weeeeeeeee " I think the person who wrote this needs a reality check. Do they think alittle bitty list is gonna change someones attitude? No way people will act as they please. I personally do not know anyone who talks fast, pushes there religion... and everyone argues :rolleyes:

RedTyga
03-05-06, 14:21
why not laugh? its got to be the funniest thing i have ever seen. Do they really think we are like that XD what do they mean about religion XD the U.S. is a country of immigrants i would have to say we have more cultural & religious diversity than any other country i can think of. This is just the gov trying to act like " ohhh we know how to teach our peeps to be better people were taking charge weeeeeeeee " I think the person who wrote this needs a reality check. Do they think alittle bitty list is gonna change someones attitude? No way people will act as they please. I personally do not know anyone who talks fast, pushes there religion... and everyone argues :rolleyes:

But you can't deny that there are a lot of people that fit that. I mean, I don't want to point fingers, but you know, read my last comment >_>