PDA

View Full Version : New Tomb Raider Engine by Wonderboy and Friends

Pages : [1] 2 3

wonderboy
03-05-06, 08:33
Hi all,

As some of you know there are a few things about Tomb Raider Legend that I and a few other forums members did not like. And as some of you may know when I expressed my displeasure with some aspects of the game I was told "as if you could do better." Well, for the last 2 months I have been programming an engine (from scratch) with a few friends of mine. We have addressed several issues with the game focusing on advancing gameplay and combat. Our graphics engine is built on next-gen technology using things such as

- HDR Lighting
- TRUE real time shadowing
- Soft Shadows
- Normal Mapping and a bunch of other nonsense.

I am posting below a teaser screenshot of the mansion stripped of ALL textures and the back rooms and 90% of the models in the game. Our engine is running on the same system that ran Legend at 2 times the frame rate and 4x the graphics power, which just prooves how bad a job CD with the coding, but then again they were rushed and have come out with a patch to fix some issues. I will be posting some screenshots and videos and information about the game and engine over the next several months.

http://users.nexopia.com/uploads/1195/1195998/mansion.jpg

CHEERS

Lenochka
03-05-06, 10:19
:rolleyes: why would you tweek a perfectly fine game? who cares about lighting. Im in it for the gameplay not the graphics. if the game is fun i will play. Like super mario Graphics are really bad yet i could play that game for hours. Yes it sounds cool but i really dont know why you would take time to do it... is it out of spite? to prove to those members you could? or just out of free time? anyways looks great and sounds great but... I still see no reason to fix whats not broken...

GodOfLight
03-05-06, 10:26
Hi all,

As some of you know there are a few things about Tomb Raider Legend that I and a few other forums members did not like. And as some of you may know when I expressed my displeasure with some aspects of the game I was told "as if you could do better." Well, for the last 2 months I have been programming an engine (from scratch) with a few friends of mine. We have addressed several issues with the game focusing on advancing gameplay and combat. Our graphics engine is built on next-gen technology using things such as

- HDR Lighting
- TRUE real time shadowing
- Soft Shadows
- Normal Mapping and a bunch of other nonsense.

I am posting below a teaser screenshot of the mansion stripped of ALL textures and the back rooms and 90% of the models in the game. Our engine is running on the same system that ran Legend at 2 times the frame rate and 4x the graphics power, which just prooves how bad a job CD with the coding, but then again they were rushed and have come out with a patch to fix some issues. I will be posting some screenshots and videos and information about the game and engine over the next several months.

http://users.nexopia.com/uploads/1195/1195998/mansion.jpg

CHEERS

wow! this is amazing what you're doing! :tmb: :jmp: good for you! i really hope it works out the way you plan it to work out. everything youve got there looks and sounds very promising :tmb: :hug:

:rolleyes: why would you waste time tweeking a perfectly fine game? who cares about lighting. Im in it for the gameplay not the graphics. if the game is fun i will play. Like super mario Graphics are really bad yet i could play that game for hours. Yes it sounds cool but i really dont know why you would take time to do it... is it out of spite? to prove to those members you could? or just out of free time? anyways looks great and sounds great but... I still see no reason to fix whats not broken...

honestly lenochka... i cannot say this any better... but SHUT UP. your post is completly rude and unneccesary. there is no need to insult someone else's hard and passionate work :rolleyes:

Lenochka
03-05-06, 10:33
wow! this is amazing what you're doing! :tmb: :jmp: good for you! i really hope it works out the way you plan it to work out. everything youve got there looks and sounds very promising :tmb: :hug:

honestly lenochka... i cannot say this any better... but SHUT UP. your post is completly rude and unneccesary. there is no need to insult someone else's hard and passionate work :rolleyes:

never was insulting there work. i was asking why, there is a difference. I said it was nice and i liked it the model looks great but i was asking what interested them in persuing it.( just in different words. Im tired leave me alone XD ) what made legend bad in there eyes etc. im sorry if i offended anyone in anyway...

StormHarvey
03-05-06, 10:41
Lovely! :D I hope the mansion has an outside part this time..:D

GodOfLight
03-05-06, 10:42
never was insulting there work. i was asking why, there is a difference. I said it was nice and i liked it the model looks great but i was asking what interested them in persuing it.( just in different words. Im tired leave me alone XD ) what made legend bad in there eyes etc. im sorry if i offended anyone in anyway...

okay then, no problem :wve: what wonderboy is doing is no different from what any one of us has done when we've played around with the old tr level editor. the only difference is that he's got the capabilities to work with and create and even more amazing and stunning engine :tmb:

interstellardave
03-05-06, 11:30
That does look good! I will be interested to see what you come up with in the end. I will say though, to my knowledge, CD made the engine around the PS2, which limited it from the start... the next-gen engine was more-or-less "mashed together" in a hurry. They said as much in the interview in the strategy guide.

So, not to invalidate your work (quite the contrary), it's just to remind everyone what CD had to deal with in regards to not being able to focus on the best possible scenario. Making Legend for all the various platforms probably required a lot of "time saving" short-cuts, which is another reason that TR8 should be next-gen only.

tombraider_roxs
03-05-06, 14:07
It looks nice. I'm looking foward to the completion of your works. :tmb:

Kamrusepas
03-05-06, 14:19
Sounds and looks interesting. Keep us posted :tmb:

RoseTyler
03-05-06, 17:57
Wow... and you made the old mansion too! :jmp:

Omg thats so clever of you! I wish I could make something like that, can you make an actual game with your software?! :eek:

Jacob x5
03-05-06, 18:04
:rolleyes: why would you tweek a perfectly fine game? who cares about lighting. Im in it for the gameplay not the graphics. if the game is fun i will play. Like super mario Graphics are really bad yet i could play that game for hours. Yes it sounds cool but i really dont know why you would take time to do it... is it out of spite? to prove to those members you could? or just out of free time? anyways looks great and sounds great but... I still see no reason to fix whats not broken...

I am guessing wonderboy did this because he/she wants to and takes pleasure in doing it. I myself am extremely impressed with this and I think you, wonderboy, have an awful lot of talent. :tmb: How old are you? I'm just wondering, because if you are young, are you thinking of having a future career in graphic/game designing and such? Because you definitely have the talent. :tmb: :wve:

wonderboy
03-05-06, 18:09
Lenochka, although I do appreciate your comments I would like to say that your opinion of a perfectly good engine differers greatly from mine. A lot of gamers found TRL to be very easy and we have spent hours working out a very advanced game engine and here are just a few of about 5000 very detailed aspects we programmed into it.

Our engine takes FULL advantage of the Ageis Physics hardware, so everything is calculated in real time. every pillar, every wall, every boulder can be pushed. pulled, broken, and chipped if you apply the right amount of force, this means that you can take your guns and shoot a climbing path up and around our environmet.

Our engine has a VERY advanced AI system that you really need to see to believe. Let's just say our enimes have yet to do the same thing twice and we've played our first level about a 1000 times

We have left in auto grab but with a HUGE twist. Super action sequcences are not preprogrammed but ramdomized with a neat camera trick. So when the player REALLY misses a jump the camera freezes to fix itself behind her. Unfreezes into real time and a combination of 3-5 buttons will appear on screen (like in legend) and you have to press them pretty fast to see lara align herself and grab the ledge.

So in short, the graphics was the last thing we worked on.

Cheers

tombraider123
03-05-06, 18:17
well done!

taika
03-05-06, 18:23
Good luck with your project, it's looking good. Do you plan to have the same levels as legend or different levels? maybe some people here could come up with some inspirational ideas, hehe..

wonderboy
03-05-06, 18:29
I have read through every possible suggestion thread in the TRL forum and have taken a lot into consideration. We have an aztec temple and cambodia as well as ghana. It's a neat storyline that has nothing to do with legend, becaues I would really like to see where CD is taking it. Don't get me wrong I loved legend, and what CD did, but I'd really like to have a go at it, so i did. BTW i'm not that young lol 20... :-S

wonderboy
03-05-06, 18:42
Whoops missed a question. Yes the Mansion has a full outdoors area with racetrack and hegemaze. Training is done in her mansion and combat training is with the "SAS"

GodOfLight
03-05-06, 22:06
I have read through every possible suggestion thread in the TRL forum and have taken a lot into consideration. We have an aztec temple and cambodia as well as ghana. It's a neat storyline that has nothing to do with legend, becaues I would really like to see where CD is taking it. Don't get me wrong I loved legend, and what CD did, but I'd really like to have a go at it, so i did. BTW i'm not that young lol 20... :-S

you should do a proper version and continuation of angel of darkness wonderboy! :jmp:

laras
03-05-06, 22:08
:eek: Looks nice! :tmb:

Lost_Raider
03-05-06, 22:11
Oh, is it playable once your are finish with it?

LegenDarY
03-05-06, 22:16
wow you must have been working on this for ages, cause you have so much finished already..

and there's another thread in the art forum where someone is remaking the mansion.. and here you are, making an entire game.. it's very impressive

please keep posting screens, i love that stuff..

and GodOfLight, good idea about AoD..!

btw i have a question: will it be playable for us? or isn't that possible, you should really team up with CD

wonderboy
03-05-06, 23:43
It is already playable and I'll have to check on if I can at least give it out as free software, and the legality of it. I will have a gameplay video ready for everybody in a few weeks. I'll make a site for updates and whatnot but just a quick note of some features.

We happily welcomed back the SPRINT! her speed is controlled by your middle mouse button so it's very intuitive to go from sneaking to full spriting in a matter of seconds.

and a teaser hint... she can aim at two things at once.

Lost_Raider
03-05-06, 23:50
Don't know about aiming two thing at once...but sprint key is great!!!

Is there a switch lock button for PC?

wonderboy
03-05-06, 23:52
Switch lock? The two target thing is really cool, wait till you see what we did to the combat system, completely overhauled to implement the advanced AI and super action sequences. You can just go in and shoot things but because the whole environment is destructable both you and the enemy can use it to the best of it's advantage.

Dingaling
03-05-06, 23:53
This sounds brilliant! I cannot wait to play this! Or at least see the video :D Well done on this and hope everything turns out great!

laralives
03-05-06, 23:54
i was working on a game with Blender but i just gave up and continued with the level editor :(

Lost_Raider
03-05-06, 23:57
All I can say is Woohoo!!!

Edit...is this a stand alone or an add-on to TRL?

SlinkyRaider
04-05-06, 00:02
That is some great work, wonderboy! :tmb:

wonderboy
04-05-06, 01:00
This is a scene, again with no textures and stipped of a lot of details (so not to ruin some surprises) but it's after a gun fight with grenades thrown all around. This was with Hardware Accelerated Physics OFF so anybody can get these results. Pillars and walls and alters are broken all over and if you turn on all features and Hardware Acceleration on the pieces would look very real and there would be no floating bits. Also you can see our depth of field and some spikes and blades in the background, we're brining back hardcore traps.

http://users.nexopia.com/uploads/1195/1195998/bits.jpg p.s the bits would not look so blocky when details are turned up to normal

tombraider_roxs
04-05-06, 01:06
Are you thinking of adding the grapple hook? I've been watching all three Indiana Jones movies today, the whip instead of the grapple would be pretty nice.

wonderboy
04-05-06, 03:21
grapple hook is already programmed in and it has some interesting applications like allowing her to run along walls a la POP.

GodOfLight
04-05-06, 03:23
grapple hook is already programmed in and it has some interesting applications like allowing her to run along walls a la POP.

oh my god... that sounds amazing!! :jmp:

RoseTyler
04-05-06, 03:28
wonderboy you are AMAZING! Why are you not working for CD or something?! Omg you're making TR exactly how it should be! I am so keeping track of this, I cannot wait to see your trailer!

wonderboy
04-05-06, 04:06
Well it's not something I'd like to do as a job, more a hobby. I have some very talented friends who are helping out who have worked on some amazing games before. The programming took a hell of a lot of time. I'm such a nerd that i'm taking 2 months of work to see this project through.

StormHarvey
04-05-06, 04:22
*DROOLS* This is great! :jmp:
I think your ideas should be in TR8..:D and people can't say TR copied POP..I mean Lara DID run along walls in TR1 movie..XD
I hope Lara can shoot while running along walls..:jmp:

RoseTyler
04-05-06, 04:25
Well it's not something I'd like to do as a job, more a hobby. I have some very talented friends who are helping out who have worked on some amazing games before. The programming took a hell of a lot of time. I'm such a nerd that i'm taking 2 months of work to see this project through.

Well thats one hell of a hobby! lol, I so wish I could create something like that. It makes you wonder why the official creators of TR don't do it...

Lost_Raider
04-05-06, 04:31
Legend is invading every platform avalialbe on the planet...and each platform requires it's own programming team...with all the resources required I would be surprised if CD would actually patch TRL in the following months...

wonderboy
04-05-06, 04:58
well this wouldn't be able to run on anything less than a 360 so I guess if it was a real published game it would be next gen exclusive which is what TR8 should be. And shoot while running on walls, shoot while on ropes, shoot while haning upside down on ropes and poles... please done and done/.

Lost_Raider
04-05-06, 05:06
So uhm...what is the expected PC system requirement for your new mod?

wonderboy
04-05-06, 05:12
It'll be running on a 2.6Ghz and the Nvidia 6800 and it runs flawlessly.

Lost_Raider
04-05-06, 05:14
It'll be running on a 2.6Ghz and the Nvidia 6800 and it runs flawlessly.

That will possibly stretch the limit of my machine...

wonderboy
04-05-06, 05:30
It's a very scalable engine turn down everything and it will still look fantastic.

StormHarvey
05-05-06, 14:23
It's a very scalable engine turn down everything and it will still look fantastic.
I'm really looking forward to this..:D
I have a question though..If hmm..say..I could run the TRL PC Demo could I run this? :D

Cochrane
05-05-06, 16:11
Can you give some details on the technology used? Did you write that graphics code yourself, or did you use an already existing engine (e.g. Ogre)? Do you use DirectX or OpenGL? Will the final release be commercial, freeware or open source? Is there any possibility of a port to non-windows systems?

What you have shown so far looks very interesting, but what you said about the technical details sounds more like marketing than like actual information.

Apofiss
05-05-06, 17:09
I guess he didn't use OGL as only DirectX supports most of these "nonsense". I wonder if engine has been created for a commercial usage, after all it takes a time to create everything from scratch with c++ I presume, not some rapid type like delphix.

As for TRL performance, there is only problems with nVidia drivers while using such a stuff like normal maps and etc? I think engine is quite optimal as it is.

Greenkey2
05-05-06, 18:28
Good grief that's a big project you're undertaking, Wonderboy et al :eek: Looks like you've made a great start, and I look forward to seeing more screenies in the future! :tmb:

wonderboy
05-05-06, 18:43
it is a huge project, and what marketing do I have to do? It's free software. It's using a C++ and our graphics engine is made from scratch but we are using XSI to model Lara and the enemies. We are using directX software becaues OpenGL would NEVER be able to even dable in the technology. Using nvidia does have draw back, you cannot turn on Antialiasing and HDR lighing at the same time, but it was designed to take full advantage of Nvidia cards.

Our first video will be of Lara running the obstacle course so we can show you that I really mean that she can do what I've said she can. We've taken the auto aim system to a completely different level and made very good use of the players intuition.

For example, to run along a wall Lara can do it three different ways. She can initially ran along the wall and then grapple to stablize and allow her to continue to run. She can stand on a secure platfrom grapple above her and run towards the wall and run from there, OR she can grapple swing backand forth and then use her second grapple and shoot it against the wall to pull her in, and this is EXTREMELy useful for some of the huge trap and puzzle sequences we have.

Umm and you won't be killing any animals... because I don't think Lara would do something like that.

sammzzz
05-05-06, 18:53
:) :) Great, i am so happy 4 U,

(cun you put the demo of the level on tombraider forums!!!!! pleaazzzze)

:) :) :) :) ;)

wonderboy
05-05-06, 18:53
Taking intuition to the next level also transends to Lara herself. This allows for her to do a lot of interesting things like recognize which hand she is using to do what and allows her to aim with both guns and use ropes and shoots and whatnot. Her hand to hand combat has been implemented as a second control system that is engaged by clicking the shift button and combos are entered by using w,a,s,d as well as the left middle and right mouse button so she can kick and punch but if you press down and up while kicking she will do a backflip and kick the current enemy in the chin and auto aim and another enemy and you cna shoot them, multitasking was a HUGE thing for us.

You're also always in control of Lara even during what CD called "Super Action sequences." And what we call special saves. Lara has two knvies in her boots that she can use to cut ropes, throw, and save. These are really neat because you have the choice of dying and falling to your death OR if you still have both knives (because you can lose them) if you're climbing a ledge and moving to fast and the ledge breaks press (k) for lara to pull out her knives left click for her to press them into the rock and (e) and directing to have her climb up. Her knvies will be lost after this so you can only do it once. EDIT: This doens't work on all surfaces obviously and you're treated to a nice animation of lara stuggling to save herself and then falling ... ALL THE WAY TO THE GROUND, even if it's a huge drop.

Greenkey2
05-05-06, 18:58
A lot of the moves you've just described remind me strongly of the teaser screenshots for Angel of Darness. We were promised so much - look, Lara can hang from ropes and shoot!, and see her climb up difficult walls etc - but it looks like you're determined to make these moves actually work! :tmb:

wonderboy
05-05-06, 18:59
Well you'll have to wait and see... they are already working. LOL please don't compare it to AOD just yet. :-P

Greenkey2
05-05-06, 19:07
Well you'll have to wait and see... they are already working. LOL please don't compare it to AOD just yet. :-P

I just can't wait to try out (or see) some of these moves :D. The knife-saving-from-falling trick sounds very cool! :jmp:

wonderboy
05-05-06, 19:09
Well before people over complicate it it's very simple, just animation and then program a "if" line in the engine. So IF her fall animation engages, start rolling the knife save feature.

BoyTRaider
05-05-06, 19:21
Wonderboy! That is amazing! :D That graphic engine looks fabulous.
Running along walls??? *faints* Can't wait. :tmb:

illuminati30
05-05-06, 19:32
Great work :tmb: Keep it up! Show them how its done ;) Hope it can become available for us all to play.

illuminati30
05-05-06, 19:37
It is already playable and I'll have to check on if I can at least give it out as free software, and the legality of it. I will have a gameplay video ready for everybody in a few weeks. I'll make a site for updates and whatnot but just a quick note of some features.

We happily welcomed back the SPRINT! her speed is controlled by your middle mouse button so it's very intuitive to go from sneaking to full spriting in a matter of seconds.

and a teaser hint... she can aim at two things at once.

Hope you keep us posted on this! Just a question though, if you change the character to someone else, is this not a totally new game? Then you could make money :)

wonderboy
05-05-06, 19:39
Well then i would be accused non stop of ripping off Tomb Raider while here I am just being a huge fan nerd and doing my own thing. It's not something i'd wnat to make money on, my company keeps me busy enough while i'm not on vacation LOL.

illuminati30
05-05-06, 19:51
Well then i would be accused non stop of ripping off Tomb Raider while here I am just being a huge fan nerd and doing my own thing. It's not something i'd wnat to make money on, my company keeps me busy enough while i'm not on vacation LOL.

Oh that makes me sound so shallow! I guess i am thinking about the work you have put in, and i am skeptical about whether Eidos/CD will allow it to be posted, free or not. I dont think they are going to be happy to hear about this lol If they dont allow you to, consider changing it, and adapting it, so that it has just a TR feel about it, that way you would not be looked upon as ripping it off, as all games take inspiration from each other anyway, and we could all still play it :)

conorcroft2001
05-05-06, 19:51
Looking forward to it!

Conor

wonderboy
05-05-06, 19:53
Oh that makes me sound so shallow! I guess i am thinking about the work you have put in, and i am skeptical about whether Eidos/CD will allow it to be posted, free or not. I dont think they are going to be happy to hear about this lol If they dont allow you to, consider changing it, and adapting it, so that it has just a TR feel about it, that way you would not be looked upon as ripping it off, as all games take inspiration from each other anyway, and we could all still play it :)

Well i do have a legal department at my company who i take complete advantage of by using them to research trival things like my Tomb Raider obsession. We've contacted Eidos and if there is a problem we will change the game to be soething completely our own.

illuminati30
05-05-06, 20:01
Well i do have a legal department at my company who i take complete advantage of by using them to research trival things like my Tomb Raider obsession. We've contacted Eidos and if there is a problem we will change the game to be soething completely our own.

Excellent! Its great that you are doing this just out of your own passion for the game! I have a lot of respect for that, although in saying that, i would not think anything of you wanting to make some money from it after all the hard work.

This maybe the only way we could get a decent TRish game these days, <sorry guys but legend was a let down for me, mostly> and i would be more than willing to pay for it if you can do it, and that way ensure another installment. :wve:

wonderboy
05-05-06, 20:03
lol when it's done it'll be free. Oh and don't praise it too much until you see it played... after all all you've seen are 2 screenshots and me talking. But I hope you guys do get excited over the gameplay elements when you see it because she really controls very well... i'd dare say better than CD's version. I think we have an advantage over them because we don't have a huge publisher breathing down our backs with deadlines and expectations. We're dong what we love at our own pace. Also we are not buidling it for console so it's made for a PC keyboard and mouse.

One thing that I think will make things easier is the camera, it always fixes itself so when you pull up a cliff and the camera ends up in front of you there weill be a motion blurred effect and freeze frame that's really fast to have the camera get behind you and the action commences.

Also we're not afraid of taking ideas from old Tomb Raiders, like switches and finding keys and unlocking doors. By no means is the game made up of nothing but that but there are a few of them, which allows us to bring back something that resembles an inventory, but it's not a seperate screen, you access it by holding down CTRL and a menu expands from the corner, it's really sleek. We've also taken physics puzzles to another level by using things like water pressure and adding substantaial weight to everything,. including bits of rock that break away from shooting at walls.

illuminati30
05-05-06, 20:13
lol when it's done it'll be free.

:D

Anymore screens then? :)

wonderboy
05-05-06, 20:15
LoL not quite yet, I do have an agenda :-P. However, just a prewarning we are going for more of a realistic look with evertything,m so don't expect a dowed eye lara...

Lew
05-05-06, 20:15
*waits for demo* :D

scion05
05-05-06, 20:24

And what gives you the rights to tell someone to shut up for
no reason!

Lost_Raider
05-05-06, 20:25
Let it go, that was three days ago...

scion05
05-05-06, 20:26
Let it go, that was three days ago...

still that isnt the point :p

but ooo i cant wait to play this :D

Cochrane
05-05-06, 21:15
Are those screenshots from the game itself, or just renders to show your levels? I'm asking because it looks like that spread-eagle Lara in the first screenshot looks a little strange.

What are the implications on game play with that destructable terrain? It would certainly not be good if you could just blast your way through some difficult spots, instead of looking for a solution. Also, can you blow up really everything (including e.g. vehicles that you might use later, doors and so on)?

Could you tell how your engine manages to have the very highly detailed levels you've been telling about without negatively affecting performance? I'm quite surprised how well Legend did this and I'd like to know how profis (like you) do this. Managing all that game state with the terrain that you can blow up is certainly not goint to make this task easier.

Is there going to be a level editor, or at least the required information so that others can write their own tools for this engine? That would be very cool, and as it's free there's nothing really speaking against the latter.

Finally, is there any network support planned?

I guess a Mac version is more or less out of the question if you make heavy use of DirectX, too bad.

wonderboy
05-05-06, 21:39
Excellent questions cochrane.

Those are in game screenshots being played on Developer mode which is the system we use to determine frame rates and check for consistency. We will not be showing any screenshots of Lara for another few days as we are still working on some of the cloth simulaton.

You can certainly blast through a lot of things but there is no way you can blast through a whole level because there are like 10 feet of rock between each room... they're tombs. If there are enimies that are standing under a pillar you can shoot it onto them without having the preprogrammed press Y to shoot at this rock. Also you can shoot HUGE amounts of dust into the air and stun enemies and lose them for a brief period of time, puzzles, and traps can implement it.

As far as having high detailed levels that really boils down to programming and how you make use of built in GPUs on the graphics card versus what's on the PC. Level editor is questionalbe because we do want to keep it exclusive for awhile, but eventually.

scion05
05-05-06, 21:41
:wve:

when this is done where will we be
able to get it from ?

Geck-o-Lizard
05-05-06, 21:43
Sounds like a brilliant hobby project to be working on. :D

How many of your friends are helping? Are any of them pro's in the game industry? (Sorry if that's been asked already)

BoyTRaider
05-05-06, 23:16
This is amazing wonderboy. :D
When are you going to give us more screenshots? :)

And, will there be mythical creatures in this project you're making?

illuminati30
05-05-06, 23:20
Is there anyway it could be played on a console?

wonderboy
05-05-06, 23:28
absolutely not on a console. and mythical creatures, wow ABSOLUTELY! We also have some incredible bosses that really require some thinking.

LegenDarY
05-05-06, 23:50
You really deserve that name WONDERBOY, this is just a miracle

you are making the TR that everyone wants, because you are a fan, you know what the fans want and add it to the game.. it's amazing what you're doing..

you said keys, switches and doors were going to return, but not too much. that was brilliant.. that was exactly how i wanted it.. cause i don't want a game were you spend hours doing the same thing: pull a switch than find a door.. but it is cool when you have to do it occasionally

i still have a few questions:

- how far with the game are you? have you like planned the entire already and have to actually go build it now? (cause it sounds like that)

- and if you have everything planned, are there going to be outfits in the game again? also the ability to collect outfits and/or to pick your own outfit?

- when are you releasing that trailer/video with the moves? cause i REALLY would like to see something, i can't wait..:D

- do you have vehicle levels planned? where you have to use a vehicle a lot to complete a level..

- what locations is Lara going to be in?

i have to say i really respect you and i think you should make this game playable for everyone (if it's as good as i think it will be), also playable for all consoles, i would be more than willing to pay for such a game.. this sounds like the TR we were all expecting this time, but which we didn't entirely get, but that's understandable cause of all the reasons you said like time presure, multiple consoles and stuff.. (no offense CD, i still think you've done a great job! i love Legend)

i'm looking forward to seeing screens and in game footage from you :wve:

wonderboy
06-05-06, 00:03
- how far with the game are you? have you like planned the entire already and have to actually go build it now? (cause it sounds like that)

Story is done, Engine is built, lara is done, just putting all together and refining the engine more and more. Lara already has over 2000 animations... took way longer than it should have.

- and if you have everything planned, are there going to be outfits in the game again? also the ability to collect outfits and/or to pick your own outfit?

Lots of outfits using REAL TIME CLOTH SIMULATION!! Before each mission you get to debrief on the conditions and you chose weapons, backpack, and any out fit you want before each mission.

- when are you releasing that trailer/video with the moves? cause i REALLY would like to see something, i can't wait..:D

2 Weeks there will be an update when we release the official site. We'll reveal Lara and a trailer.

- do you have vehicle levels planned? where you have to use a vehicle a lot to complete a level..

Lots of cool vehicles, a canoe, motorbike, and aston martin are just a few. You can take any vehicle from her mansion to a nearby city/town to explore while training.

- what locations is Lara going to be in?

Mexico, Ghana, South Pacific, Japan (more traditional), and 3 other places which will be a surprise.

You guys are gonna die when you see what we've done to her house.

Lost_Raider
06-05-06, 00:07
I'll put 911 on speed dial just in case I pass out...

LegenDarY
06-05-06, 01:40
I'll put 911 on speed dial just in case I pass out...
You read my mind.. that's AMAZING wonderboy..

as Lara once said: "I'm falling in love all over again".. i'm getting this warm fuzzy feeling inside just thinking about everything you mentioned.. can't wait till you release the official site + trailer..

come to think of it.. how will the game be called? have you thought of a titel yet? or is that a surprise aswell?

Lost_Raider
06-05-06, 01:41
Better not "Wii" kind of surprise...the story is still TRL related right?

BoyTRaider
06-05-06, 01:54
Wait... I might be getting something wrong here. Do you work on a gaming company wonderboy?

Well, if the answer is yes, then I can see how you can't bring this to consoles...
It would be stealing copy-righted materials right from EIDOS' hands, and making it your own. Making it for the computer is a complete different thing; actually, it would be just like using a TR Level Editor, except with another engine.
Well, all the same, what you're doing sounds extremely brilliant. I just hope EIDOS doesn't interfere with your hard-working project.

Anyway, please, please send us another picture. :)

LegenDarY
06-05-06, 01:54
Better not "Wii" kind of surprise...the story is still TRL related right?
i think he said it wasn't, cause he wants to see for himself wat CD/Eidos will do with the Legend story.. so this is a whole new game with new story

wonderboy
06-05-06, 01:56
Unforutnatly I've decided to stay away from TRL's story because I'd really like to see where CD is taking it, it's a whole new storyline that assumes that AOD never happened. WOW lgendary, taht was like word for word what i was typing. I don't work at a gaming company I'm just a fan. I have a marketing company and because of how much 3d we use in our commercials we make, I already kind of knew what I was doing.

LegenDarY
06-05-06, 02:03
Unforutnatly I've decided to stay away from TRL's story because I'd really like to see where CD is taking it, it's a whole new storyline that assumes that AOD never happened.
AoD never happened.. uuuhm does that mean that you will have your own version of how Lara survived Egypte? (that would be amazing, cause you would AGAIN have thought of something the fans really want)

lgendary, taht was like word for word what i was typing.
hahah i remembered that you posted the reason why you don't continue with the Legend story ;).. and i kinda agree with you.. let CD do their thing.. and you do your own..

wonderboy
06-05-06, 02:05
You'd better believe the first level is her getting out of that tomb :-P

BoyTRaider
06-05-06, 02:07
I have a question; is this your first time working with a game?
If not, then I would be glad to see one of your other works. :)

Lost_Raider
06-05-06, 02:07
*passed out*

LegenDarY
06-05-06, 02:14
You'd better believe the first level is her getting out of that tomb :-P
i think my heart just skipped a beat.. i'm already falling in love with your version of the game..

you really think of the things that fans want because you're one of us.. it's the small things that make TR a great game.. and you think of all those small things.. very impressive

Cochrane
06-05-06, 07:43
Wait... I might be getting something wrong here. Do you work on a gaming company wonderboy?

Well, if the answer is yes, then I can see how you can't bring this to consoles...
It would be stealing copy-righted materials right from EIDOS' hands, and making it your own. Making it for the computer is a complete different thing; actually, it would be just like using a TR Level Editor, except with another engine.
Well, all the same, what you're doing sounds extremely brilliant. I just hope EIDOS doesn't interfere with your hard-working project.

Anyway, please, please send us another picture. :)

As a matter of fact, the copyright situation is the same, no matter whether they release it for consoles or for PC, but as he says, he's got lawyers working on that, so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

I guess a port to consoles is not going to happen for technical and possibly financial reasons. First of all, most consoles use different programming interfaces. The only ones that use DirectX are the Xbox and Xbox 360, so any other console is out of the question already. I guess Xbox is not an option either, because it's just too slow for the level of detail and especially the physics promised. The second problem is getting your own game on that console. You'll either have to pay Microsoft to allow you to do that, or you'll have to hack. The first is bad for a free game, the second is not exactly a good user experience either. Also, the Xbox 360 uses a PowerPC processor instead of an x86 one, which means that most optimisations of their code will be worthless and might result in a slower game there. Some stuff (like SSE code) will not work at all (of course, I don't know whether they used it, but it would make sense to do so). To make full use of it, it would also require much more multithreading than for current dual core processors, although Ageia claims that their engine can do lots of that internally.

So all in all, console support for a free game is always very unlikely, but when it is as advanced as this, it would likely require more ressources than they have.

LegenDarY
06-05-06, 15:02
how can eidos interfere if he is making a game for himself? or just for people but for FREE, so he isn't making any money on it.. than there's no problem right?

Do you have some more news wonderboy? :wve:

Barry Matharoo
06-05-06, 15:22
wow cool dude

that news freaked me out

looks like i need to get my pc upgraded
for that but it would be worth it

Hypnosos
06-05-06, 15:25
When is the earliest possible release date for the whole thing? Or a demo?
Sorry if this has already been asked, but I read the whole thread last night and I don't remember this question.

Cochrane
06-05-06, 18:59
how can eidos interfere if he is making a game for himself? or just for people but for FREE, so he isn't making any money on it.. than there's no problem right?

No, that's very wrong. Eidos has all the rights to Tomb Raider, so they alone decide who makes what with it. Eidos allowed people to release their own levels for the level editor, but this license is unlikely to extend to completely new games with a completely new engine.

Whether somebody makes money by creating something like that or not does not matter at all. It is still competition because people might say "I don't want to spend so much money on Legend when I can get this one here for free". I don't know whether they will interfere, but they have the right to do so as long as the (very valuable) trade marks from Tomb Raider are used in that game.

Some more questions about the game:

What happens if pillars that support bridges get destroyed? Will the bridge stay as it was before, will only parts of the environment that are marked as "bridge" fall down in this case, or will this always, in any situation, lead to a correct result? Or are the explosives provided simply not powerful enough for that case?
Are there trains in that game? If there are, are they pieces of crap like in TR4 or TRL, or are those trains that someone who is interested in trains will find realistic? I'd certainly prefer a game without trains to one with trains like the one in Legend…
Will a vehicle interact correctly with the surface it is on? For example, if a car is standing on a wood plank on appropriate ground, will the plank fly away when you open the throttle?

wonderboy
06-05-06, 19:07
wow, cochrane you're very right about Eidos holding the rights to Tomb Raider and Lara Croft, we're still waiting on an answer but they can't stop me from making a game under my own name and character as they do not own the rights to a game abou a female heroine who explores ancient ruins.

Release date, probably another 4 months which sounds like a lot of time but keep in mind that we're trying our best to make it a perfect fan experience and aiming for 16 hours of gameplay and HUGE replay value.

No trains, yuck.

The vehicles control amazingly! And I know that sounds so un modest but wow. We're using next gen technology NOW and we wrote the whole code ourselves. The land vehicles throw dirt and dust and get dirty as if they were real, it burns out, you shift gears, it's very neat.

If you destroy a pillar and the whole room collapes on you and kills you (which could very wll happen if you destory enough things) then you load your last save game. If you destroy a a pillar and a bridge across is destroyed, then you will need to find antoher way across, and there are always at least 3 ways of doing things because the enemy AI is programmed to stop you, this includes blowing up entrances and cutting down brdiges.

BlackGrey
06-05-06, 19:16
I'm amazed by everything you've mentioned and my stomach sinks, i really hope this is for real because it would kick CDs ass out of place!!! :cln: So like yours is gonna pick up where Core left or trek back to when she was left alone in the tomb?

LegenDarY
06-05-06, 19:55
No, that's very wrong. Eidos has all the rights to Tomb Raider, so they alone decide who makes what with it. Eidos allowed people to release their own levels for the level editor, but this license is unlikely to extend to completely new games with a completely new engine.

Whether somebody makes money by creating something like that or not does not matter at all. It is still competition because people might say "I don't want to spend so much money on Legend when I can get this one here for free". I don't know whether they will interfere, but they have the right to do so as long as the (very valuable) trade marks from Tomb Raider are used in that game.

hmm ok, i think i get.. but if it's for personal use? so he will keep it for himself and his friends, is that allowed? even if it's a whole new TR game.. is that legal?

I don't get something, there is someone else on this forum who is rebuilding the manor with extra's.. and it's taking him months for JUST the manor.. how can it be that you can complete a whole new game in a few months.. and it is taking him also a few months for the mansion alone.. how is this possible?

wonderboy
06-05-06, 19:57
I'm not sure... we're really fast? We made lara in 5 hours. Her mansion from top to bottom without textures took us about 6 hours.

Osojojo
06-05-06, 20:08
Hi my name is Joanna. Will you marry me? =] And give me a sneek peak?

Haha, kidding ;) but what you are doing is absolutely fabulous! You are my hero, and two weeks can't come fast enough. Letsee, two weeks from yesterday is 5/19....
Marking my calendar =]

BlackGrey
06-05-06, 20:15
Wonderboy is there any chance of a textured teaser shot? Please???

wonderboy
06-05-06, 20:18
I'll hook you guys up with a screenshot tomorrow, no Lara for 2 weeks though :-P

jarhead
06-05-06, 20:29
:jmp: :jmp: cant weait till tomorrow then. its gonna be great when its finished

BlackGrey
06-05-06, 20:32
Thank you so much wonderboy!

wonderboy
06-05-06, 20:40
lol... np guys happy to do it, trust me. BTW i'm David.

BlackGrey
06-05-06, 20:45
Okay David, i'll put my faith in you :p

Shauni
06-05-06, 20:49
Sorry if this has already been asked before (Didn't want to go through all of the pages), but what will the controls be like? The same as TRL? :wve:

Airave
06-05-06, 20:56
This is ..... Amazing!

Can't wait to see more!

BlackGrey
06-05-06, 20:57
Sorry if this has already been asked before (Didn't want to go through all of the pages), but what will the controls be like? The same as TRL? :wve:

He's completley over hauled it, obviously to make it easier :cln:

wonderboy
06-05-06, 21:03
controls are still being tweaked but she responds SO fast.

WASD to move, scroll middle mouse button to go from sneak to sprint click it to return to normal running.

Left mouse to shoot, hold down right mouse and scroll with middle moues to scroll through weapons.

q to graple, K to use your knife

shift to enter hand to hand combat

space to jump

e for action

CTRL to expand inventory

F to roll and dodge.

Those are the basic ones, there are a lot more for vehicle control and specials like for running on walls and hanging upside down and so on...

Catapharact
06-05-06, 21:08
Nice stuff.

So are directly overlapping the character animation from the board to the Engine. Its what the POP team did and it had magnificent results.

Shauni
06-05-06, 21:10
Ahh, so that's how you're going to do the controls. ^_^ Sounds nice. Are those just the plans or have they already been set? :)

wonderboy
06-05-06, 21:11
I'm not sure what that means sorry :-( All our animation is keyframed, and if you're asking what I think you are, we do hand draw out each frame then try and duplicate it in 3D. It's a very realistic in the sense that she stumbles and trips on rocks and trees if you're not careful. It's already been set and we're trying to do our best to not make it so complicated that you need three hands to do things BUT at the same time not make things too easy.

Shauni
06-05-06, 21:13
Awesome. :) I was just wondering if you have already created the controls or if they're still in-the-works. ;)

Catapharact
06-05-06, 21:13
I'm not sure what that means sorry :-( All our animation is keyframed, and if you're asking what I think you are, we do hand draw out each frame then try and duplicate it in 3D. It's a very realistic in the sense that she stumbles and trips on rocks and trees if you're not careful. It's already been set and we're trying to do our best to not make it so complicated that you need three hands to do things BUT at the same time not make things too easy.

Its exactly what I was asking and man... I don't either to b impressed by you or feel sorry for you Lol! Do you guys have a draftsman along with you? Hope you didn't do this all on your own :p.

wonderboy
06-05-06, 21:16
nope we're doing alot of it on our own, but I make hundreds of commercials every year that we're used to it. LOL oh god I'm totally taking advantage of my draftsmen at the office! They were working on the Eclipse commercial and I come in and "assign" them her grapple animation.

Catapharact
06-05-06, 21:20
Hope you are giving her overtime credit ;) Lol! Its so hard to lay frame by frame animation intregration using 3D Studio X Max. I just never got used to that program well enough to try full length animating.

A bit offtopic:

So you guys run a marketing firm :). Kudos.

wonderboy
06-05-06, 21:23
it's very tedious but the results are great. CD boasted that they gave her 11 animations simultaneously to make it look procedural, but we’ve given her 24-50 and that’s not just so we can say we added more. When you see her grab animation her arms swing her head tilts her lips open, legs move, and muscles tense. You will be wanting to put her in bullet time mode to see it in slow motion.

LegenDarY
06-05-06, 21:26
I'll hook you guys up with a screenshot tomorrow, no Lara for 2 weeks though :-P
that's great David, i can't wait till tomorrow and till 2 weeks..

can you tell us anything about her enemies? without revealing too much? :wve:

Catapharact
06-05-06, 21:27
Oh the more fluid the better.

Taking an example from another game series:

Prince of Persia. If you compare the animation of Warrior Within as compared to the new "The Two Thrones," you can obviously notice that WW had more frames and better FPS rate. The motion of the main character is so dared realistic. The Two Thrones game engine needs a whole lot of tweaking.

wonderboy
06-05-06, 21:31
Oh the more fluid the better.

Taking an example from another game series:

Prince of Persia. If you compare the animation of Warrior Within as compared to the new "The Two Thrones," you can obviously notice that WW had more frames and better FPS rate. The motion of the main character is so dared realistic. The Two Thrones game engine needs a whole lot of tweaking.

If you pull out her guns to shoot instead of them just popping up infront of her her hands grab the guns elbows come back guns come upto her face, and then extend forward from the elbows. LOTS of work put into the animation LOTS.

Catapharact
06-05-06, 21:40
Oh and definately her grip on the poles need work. It seems as if the poles get intregated in her skin or something Lol!

BlackGrey
06-05-06, 21:56
Just wondering what elements of the enviroments you'll be able to use the knife on? I love what you've said about the animations, it sounds so incredible :jmp: Keep it up David!

wonderboy
06-05-06, 22:00
Well it's integrated very well into puzzles. You can cut ropes mark spots that you have been, because we do have a few open ended levels where you just wander around an island. You can use them to dispose of enimies, cut through tents, and vines, and "save yourself from a nasty fall" throw them around and yeah...

BlackGrey
06-05-06, 22:01
You sure you've made all this possible? Your sure your not saying this??!?!? My hearts thudding in my chest but my brain just won't believe it, tell me its true!

Dingaling
06-05-06, 22:02
Will we be able to use a joypad for the game? I'm not a fan of the keyboard and no matter how many times I try, I can't play games with it. I'll give it a try even if the game doesn't support joypad as it sounds extremely exciting! :D

wonderboy
06-05-06, 22:04
just wait for the video BlackGrey... it'll put your mind at ease. We'll be putting together a trailer and just a straight ingame vidoe as trailers tend to Glamorize things a lot more.

BlackGrey
06-05-06, 22:05
The end of the next two weeks can not come soon enough David! Monday the 22nd i'm expecting an exclusive :p

LegenDarY
06-05-06, 22:41
can you tell us anything about her enemies? without revealing too much? :wve:

sorry to whine Darvid.. but i think you didn't see my question.. is there anything you can tell about the enemies? cause i'm very curious, i remember you said that you won't use animals, cause you don't believe Lara will kill those, so what are the enemies like? i'm curious :D

wonderboy
06-05-06, 22:45
whoops, sorry I missed that. She will have to face human enimies, LOTS of mythical and unknown... and maybe a dinosaur ... or two... but lots of interesting ones for sure. You will be shocked by the AI. The human enimies will notice if you blow away holes in the walls they can see your flashlight, or the reflection your flashlight casts on shiny rocks, they can hear you, and they will sneak up on you and cut down ropes and bridges and shoot pillars down on you, it makes for intresting battles.

Cochrane
06-05-06, 22:55
wonderboy, what is your exact position in this development? Are you a programmer or an artist?

wonderboy
06-05-06, 22:57
well i'm directing it but I do both, I wrote the engine with 4 of my friends and am modelling a whole lot of stuff! I designed Lara and built her but a lot of my friends are working on animation and environments with me.

LegenDarY
06-05-06, 22:58
so you've created your own creatures and used 'famous' mythical ones?

i can't wait to see Lara in a battle, the knives is a very good idea, she also had a knive on her enckle in AoD pictures, but you never saw them in the game or used them, it's cool you thought of that..

i have a question about the weapons: what weapons will there be in? will she also have a sword? and will she have infinite backpack space again? or Legend style? (sorry to be such a annoying person, but i'm just so curious, you're doing what i would love to do)

wonderboy
06-05-06, 23:00
We used a few famous ones most of them are our own... some of them are downright scary. When you're in mexico things get really freaky, there are only a few human enimies and well... watch your back.

Lots of weapons, no swords though. At the start of each mission you chose what type of guns you want to go in with. As far as hand guns go you can chose to have her standard pistols, as well as dessert eagles, uzies, revolver, and a few other ones, nothing crazy. But you can also pick up enimies guns. You also have the choice of 3 different backpacks, that can carry different number of things like med packs and stuff.

LegenDarY
06-05-06, 23:38
that sounds great..!! i just thought of something.. i've asked you what locations you were going to use.. is there a city level in there aswell? or all tombs?

and is there anything else really special we should look forward to?

wonderboy
06-05-06, 23:38
You'll have to be patient :-P I'll have someting posted in about an hour, nothing huge though

LegenDarY
06-05-06, 23:58
You'll have to be patient :-P I'll have someting posted in about an hour, nothing huge though
anything is welcome!.. 1 hour? it's 02:00 o clock in the netherlands, but i will wait.. :D i'm so curious i wouldn't be able to sleep anyway..:p

wonderboy
07-05-06, 00:01
lol it's not worth losing sleep over :-P go to bed

LegenDarY
07-05-06, 00:42
lol it's not worth losing sleep over :-P go to bed
i don't mind.. i really want to see it :D..

it's an hour later :D.. let us see ;)

Osojojo
07-05-06, 01:00
LengenDary, you are REALLY hardcore about this...haha:jmp:

LegenDarY
07-05-06, 01:10
haha yeah i REALLY love what David is doing, this project is amazing (at least what i've heard of it so far), so i'd like to see some screens..

i just can't wait till he posts the official site + trailer in 2 weeks..:jmp:

SSJ6Wolf
07-05-06, 02:20
Sorry if you have answered this and I missed it, but I didn't find you mentioning exactly which computer systems this will run on. I have a Mac and I would love to play it. (who wouldn't? ;) )

But either way I am amazed at the amount of commitment you put into this project, especially considering that it is non-profit. Good luck with the rest of the project! :wve:

Melonie Tomb Raider
07-05-06, 05:23
You need any voice actors? :P

BoyTRaider
07-05-06, 05:27
Mel! I was wondering the same thing! :D

I'll would live to voice some of your characters!

TRelic
07-05-06, 05:32
WOW.

Few questions, hope you dont mind.

You said that you're using Ageia's full capabilities, but wont you need the actual Ageia PhysX card to take advantage of it? Or are you just talking about the software?

Also, are you optimizing the graphics too? From what I understand with all the new things you're doing with the graphics, I'm going to need a top of the line card to run all the settings at max without problems.

Finally, will you be able to release this online without any legal ramifications?

Hope you havent already answered any of this, and thanks. It sounds amazing so far.

wonderboy
07-05-06, 06:24
WOW.

Few questions, hope you dont mind.

You said that you're using Ageia's full capabilities, but wont you need the actual Ageia PhysX card to take advantage of it? Or are you just talking about the software?

Also, are you optimizing the graphics too? From what I understand with all the new things you're doing with the graphics, I'm going to need a top of the line card to run all the settings at max without problems.

Finally, will you be able to release this online without any legal ramifications?

Hope you havent already answered any of this, and thanks. It sounds amazing so far.

You will need it to take full advantage of the gorgeousness that comes with destruction, you can still destory the environment but it won't be nearly as nice because it will break like polygons rather than real pieces.

Graphics will be incredible if you have the power to use them, and if you can run TRL with next gen on you will have no problem running ours because we have coded it to share the processing power of everything rather than the graphics crd.

Voice actors, maybe :-P

wonderboy
07-05-06, 06:45
LegenDarY sorry I didn't post up the link earlier! Had to run to an important meeting, but check your PM tomorrow for a special exclusive.

Melonie Tomb Raider
07-05-06, 07:03
I've done lara's voice for many different TRLE projects, so let me know if you need some one to voice Lara for you, or any other character. I could send you some demos and stuff if need be. I'm sure you're busy with other things now though, but whenever you get to that point, look me up. :wve:

BoyTRaider
07-05-06, 07:07
I'll be free to voice some characters also wonderboy. Maybe Lara has a guy baddie who needs voicing... lol I can show you a few demos also.
I'll be more than glad to help if needed. :wve:

wonderboy
07-05-06, 07:18
Now that you mention it Melonie, making this game has been so easy so far, but I could NEVER figure out how to use the level editor, haha. I'll keep you in mind but that won't be happening for awhile now

scoopy_loopy
07-05-06, 07:57
ausome! THIS IS AMAZING! I wish I was capable of doing something as spectacular as this!!

Whats happening in an hour? lol?

WOW!

Damjan
07-05-06, 08:26
I didn't see this till now... Well, first of all - thi is INCREDIBLE in the true sense of the word! I'm still very doubtfull about those two months hehe... I've always thought it takes a hell of a lot of time to make a game. It can take a year or two for game studios to make it, and it's their job! And you, doing this as a hobby, in your spare time... I'll have to take your word on that! :)

Congratulations, this is excellent. I can't wait to see the pictures. Also, I'm sure you're aware of that, but don't you know how much money you can make by selling this to a company? At least the engine.. All TR fan things aside now, it's a pretty nice amount of money. Your work and efforts have to be rewarded!

And another thing.. You might want to consider mapping the knife key to another one lol :) "K" seems to be so far away, considering you'll be using your right hand for the mouse :D

I think you wrote that you included the autograb feature too. Why is that so? I'd really like to hear that :)

anyway, good luck and congratulations, you deserve to be tapped on the back :)

wonderboy
07-05-06, 08:39
I didn't see this till now... Well, first of all - thi is INCREDIBLE in the true sense of the word! I'm still very doubtfull about those two months hehe... I've always thought it takes a hell of a lot of time to make a game. It can take a year or two for game studios to make it, and it's their job! And you, doing this as a hobby, in your spare time... I'll have to take your word on that! :)

Congratulations, this is excellent. I can't wait to see the pictures. Also, I'm sure you're aware of that, but don't you know how much money you can make by selling this to a company? At least the engine.. All TR fan things aside now, it's a pretty nice amount of money. Your work and efforts have to be rewarded!

And another thing.. You might want to consider mapping the knife key to another one lol :) "K" seems to be so far away, considering you'll be using your right hand for the mouse :D

I think you wrote that you included the autograb feature too. Why is that so? I'd really like to hear that :)

anyway, good luck and congratulations, you deserve to be tapped on the back :)

it has been changed to (v) and it works much better. It really did only take us two months to write, and I really don't understand why it takes game developers so long to make a game... and then have to push back deadlines and release dates. I think it's more of the fact that we knew what we wanted straight away and knew how we wanted to do it.

scoopy_loopy
07-05-06, 08:45
this is probably true.. could you enlighten me as to what you are revealing to us in the next hour?

wonderboy
07-05-06, 08:48
it's actually happening tomorrow, but you'll have to wait and see :-p

scoopy_loopy
07-05-06, 08:50
ahhh.. I see. Can you tell me bout how many hours away it is? lol, I have no idea what time zone your in :)

BoyTRaider
07-05-06, 08:51
I thought you said within an hour. :p

Hehe. :)

wonderboy
07-05-06, 08:52
lol i'm a horrible person lol. Ummm in about 21 Hours from right now. It was supposed to happen a few hours ago but we had troubles uploading it to our server.

scoopy_loopy
07-05-06, 08:59
oh it must be a big file.... hmm.. perhaps tiny snipet movie of a scene...?

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 09:04
Don't get greedy Scoopy-Loopy, within time they will release something ;)

wonderboy
07-05-06, 09:08
Well after about 16 hours of working today :-p I have taken an ingame screenshot before I head to bed... unfortunately my screenshot button messed up and it only took the corner of somebody's face... LOL yah right.

Enjoy

http://users.nexopia.com/uploads/1195/1195998/screen.jpg

Ampersand
07-05-06, 09:09
Stunning. :tmb:

EDIT: Hey, it's vanished. I'm questioning my sanity. :cln:

wonderboy
07-05-06, 09:12
fixed :-P

Ampersand
07-05-06, 09:13
OK. :p Still gorgeous, she looks almost real. Love the lip gloss. :D

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 09:14
Oh my god...My eyes they bleed :cln:

BoyTRaider
07-05-06, 09:21
AMAZING!! :D :eek: :cln:

scoopy_loopy
07-05-06, 09:23
WOW! and THATS INGAME you said!! :D

theoretically what will ones computer need to have to run this master piece of yours?

wonderboy
07-05-06, 09:26
if you can run TRL in next gen mode then you cna run ours with max graphics on. If you cna't then you can scale everything down from normal maps to HDR lights antialiasing, and model detail and so on and so forth, i'm trying to make this as accessible to as many people as possible without sacrificing quailty

Lew
07-05-06, 09:31
Yay thanks wonderboy i was dissapointed when they only let you put it all on at once, but hopefully with this i can put maybe Lara on as in the picture :P and put the rest low.

scoopy_loopy
07-05-06, 09:35
oh excellent! I can run TRL with all the graphical extra's bar Next-gen (I havent tested Next-gen as I only have the demo on the pc. But i have the full version on the xb. I am hoping to get a new PC within the month so I hope to be able to run legend and your ausome game with all the graphical functions!)

yay! GO you!

and thanks for considering us with crappyier graphics cards :)

BoyTRaider
07-05-06, 10:27
Well after about 16 hours of working today :-p I have taken an ingame screenshot before I head to bed... unfortunately my screenshot button messed up and it only took the corner of somebody's face... LOL yah right.

Enjoy

Will you mind telling me what character that is? :D

Lara Lover
07-05-06, 10:29
Awesome work :tmb:

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 10:36
I can't wait for monday :jmp:

scoopy_loopy
07-05-06, 10:42
me neither :)

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 10:57
We are getting mansion screens hopefully, David doesn't want to spoil any of the locations just yet :D

scoopy_loopy
07-05-06, 11:29
yeah. He has told us what some of the locations are though, he just hasnt supplied us with any pictures.

I must say, Im relly impressed.

You know what this is going to do dont you?

CD are going to have to make tr8 better than this at risk of people not buying tr8 because they can get a better TR for free. So tr8 will be a big power struggle and CD will be forced to make it a spectacular game.

I doubt even they can top what David and his mates have got going on here though... :D

MiCkiZ88
07-05-06, 12:01
whoa.. amazing details.. Going to by a new computer :D

Lew
07-05-06, 12:04
yeah. He has told us what some of the locations are though, he just hasnt supplied us with any pictures.

I must say, Im relly impressed.

You know what this is going to do dont you?

CD are going to have to make tr8 better than this at risk of people not buying tr8 because they can get a better TR for free. So tr8 will be a big power struggle and CD will be forced to make it a spectacular game.

I doubt even they can top what David and his mates have got going on here though... :D

Yeah cause most game Devlopers never listen to the fans and cant be bothered to make it like they want it, so CD are gonna this time or i want CORE back! They must!

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 12:09
What if David's just hacking into the files for TR8 and that's all hes showing us? LOL :vlol:

Damjan
07-05-06, 12:14
I hope eidos won't crush them...

that girls pic is.. fantastic really :D

could I please have some more? :D

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 12:19
I hope eidos won't crush them...

that girls pic is.. fantastic really :D

could I please have some more? :D

You will be seeing Mansion screenies on monday but they won't include Lara, he won't release the real Lara till two weeks from now and i can't wait :jmp:

MiCkiZ88
07-05-06, 12:30
You will be seeing Mansion screenies on monday but they won't include Lara, he won't release the real Lara till two weeks from now and i can't wait :jmp:
ok now I'm hyped about this game.. just like legend... I think EVEN MORE!!

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 12:36
I know Mickiz, exaclty what you mean :jmp:
Have you read all the pages and all the things he has already developed? One my favourite elements so far is the knife and the ability is to stab into rock with it as your falling :cln:

tombraiderluka
07-05-06, 12:51
I haven't read all the posts.I've seen 1 page.Can somebody explain me is it going to be playable and if it is how are we going to be able to play it?
oh and excellent work guys!!!

MiCkiZ88
07-05-06, 13:21
ok I read all the previous pages.. * faints * this is what I wanted..

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 14:10
I haven't read all the posts.I've seen 1 page.Can somebody explain me is it going to be playable and if it is how are we going to be able to play it?
oh and excellent work guys!!!

Basically it will be a PC game, free of charge and you'll have to be able to run Legend in next gen to play it. I have a question, did you say you were continuing the TR4 storyline? Told you Mickiz this guy and his friends are incredible if what he says they are doing is true.

t-unit
07-05-06, 14:24
Basically it will be a PC game, free of charge and you'll have to be able to run Legend in next gen to play it.

No, the thing with this game is that the graphic will be scaleable so people that can't play on maximum won't miss all the goodies.

Although you probably need a computer that can handle legend in next gen to play this game with decent fps on maximum.

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 14:27
So you have to be able to run Legend in next gen to get the bare graphics? Or can you scale them further down?

t-unit
07-05-06, 14:37
So you have to be able to run Legend in next gen to get the bare graphics? Or can you scale them further down?

???
You don't need a comp that's able to play legend in next gen to play this game. The gfx is scaleable, not like legends everything or nothing settings.

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 14:47
Oh thats great news, at least my PC will run it :jmp:

Hypnosos
07-05-06, 14:58

Enjoy

OMG! Amazing! Truly. Can't wait for the trailer.

StormHarvey
07-05-06, 15:36

Enjoy

OMG! :eek:

I want TR8 Lara to have skin like that!! *DROOLS* Imagine if thats on PS3! It would look even better! OMG!! CD and EIDOS should see this..I'm soo hyper I can't wait!!

taika
07-05-06, 16:19
It sounds really amazing. I'm just a bit upset cos I don't think my PC will be able to run it... :( Nice screenshot, looks like a painting.. hehe

Dingaling
07-05-06, 16:25
My god those lips are sha... very sexy :D And that neck... can I be a BETA tester? :D :p

Kamrusepas
07-05-06, 16:47

Are you sure that's not a photo? :D

Incredible work :tmb:

MiCkiZ88
07-05-06, 16:53
exactly how large is this going to be :D?

Osojojo
07-05-06, 16:56
exactly how large is this going to be :D?

Seriously. How is this going to be distributed?!?! :confused:

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 17:05
He is going to host it on a server and hopefully everybody will be able to download it, once hes finished of course :D

MiCkiZ88
07-05-06, 17:11
He is going to host it on a server and hopefully everybody will be able to download it, once hes finished of course :D
sell it to a publisher!

Osojojo
07-05-06, 17:12

Yes, but the file is going to be HUMONGOUS, and of course we'll all want it! That's gotta be one heck of a server.

t-unit
07-05-06, 17:13
Upload it with torrent would be a good idea...

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 17:19
Upload it with torrent would be a good idea...

That'd be a good idea, i'm thinking either a range of servers or what he said :p

tombraiderluka
07-05-06, 17:23
Well, I will have to wait two days to download it,it's going to be a big file

wonderboy
07-05-06, 17:24
when it's done i will mail them out to people, they'd just have to pay shipping and handling and it will also be availible to download.

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 17:39
Your awake at last, now get working!

wonderboy
07-05-06, 17:42
DOUBLE POST srry

Lew
07-05-06, 17:42
How dare you BlackGrey! hehe

wonderboy
07-05-06, 17:43
lol i woke up and showerd then went to the gym while planning out what i was going to do today and now i am back on my computer working just for you :-) I want this game to really feel like you guys were involved so everybody who is intrested go find a picture of a relic or painting or piece of art that you want in her house... this way you'll also see how great things look in game.

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 17:44
lol i woke up and showerd then went to the gym while planning out what i was going to do today and now i am back on my computer working just for you :-) I want this game to really feel like you guys were involved so everybody who is intrested go find a picture of a relic or painting or piece of art that you want in her house... this way you'll also see how great things look in game.

Oh a mission, i am on it! By the way where does the storyline take place? After TR4 i think you said?

MiCkiZ88
07-05-06, 17:45
:D just a question.. how much detail are you gonna use? I just played legend and got wondering.. you know when she gets up from water.. will there be water on the floor when she gets up??? or does she get wounded when she get's an impact..

Lew
07-05-06, 17:45
Lol Richard ^ is on a mission!

wonderboy
07-05-06, 17:46
yeah you will lead Lara out of the Tomb of Set and this near death experience will lead to her hiring her tech team... because I liked their dynamic... they just won't be so vocal.

wonderboy
07-05-06, 17:47
MiCkiZ88 both lara and enimies will slip on wet floor... that's so trival compared to some of the stuff we have.

t-unit
07-05-06, 17:52
yeah you will lead Lara out of the Tomb of Set and this near death experience will lead to her hiring her tech team... because I liked their dynamic... they just won't be so vocal.

When speaking of this, will we hear Laras voice in your game? Who will act Lara then, you forced your girlfriend to do it?:p

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 17:54
Capetan David i got some artefacts for you:

http://img325.imageshack.us/img325/7370/aretfacts2th.jpg

MiCkiZ88
07-05-06, 17:55
MiCkiZ88 both lara and enimies will slip on wet floor... that's so trival compared to some of the stuff we have.
XD :jmp: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp:

wonderboy
07-05-06, 17:56
Richard, that room is already there :-P 18 rooms and a HUGE garden in the mansion!

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 17:57
Oh never mind :rolleyes: I think you know what you are doing... so yeah, get on with it!

wonderboy
07-05-06, 17:57
When speaking of this, will we hear Laras voice in your game? Who will act Lara then, you forced your girlfriend to do it?:p

got a few forum folk in mind for voices. LOL find a copy of your favoirte piece of art, or maybe just something that could be a cool relic. I like your avatar.

MiCkiZ88
07-05-06, 17:58
got a few forum folk in mind for voices.
can I be one :D not for lara though.. :ton:

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 18:00
Will you follow the AOD storyline, i mean will you do the tech team thing and go onto AOD or will you do your own adventure?

wonderboy
07-05-06, 18:04
Unfortunately I will not be using the AOD storyline, in my opinion there wasn't enough reason for her to go into tombs if I were to go that route. It will be an original story, with a few twists and turns along the way. I think somebody asked if there was going to be a modern city level, and yes there will be, but mostly jungles and tombs and.... cough...

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 18:05
An island? :mis:

tombraiderluka
07-05-06, 18:05
Unfortunately I will not be using the AOD storyline, in my opinion there wasn't enough reason for her to go into tombs if I were to go that route. It will be an original story, with a few twists and turns along the way. I think somebody asked if there was going to be a modern city level, and yes there will be, but mostly jungles and tombs and.... cough...
Oh i can't wait!!!:jmp: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp:

MiCkiZ88
07-05-06, 18:07
:cln: the way i wan't it :jmp:

question...

will there be a sword?

will there be bullet time? not just bullet time moves?

poisoning?

wild animals?? snakes?

survival? eating? camp fire?

Lew
07-05-06, 18:07
Real Time!
Sleeping!

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 18:08
Oh come on the guy can't possible include all that! Can he???

wonderboy
07-05-06, 18:09
The Island:

Our game will be featuring an island. This island will set a different pace for the game and experiment with a few new aspects that we feel would add rather than subract to the over all feel of it. Once you land on the shores of the island you will quickly realize that it is a completely open-ended level. There will be NO change in actual gameplay mechanics but you can choose to explore the tombs or jungles of the island in what ever order you would like. There is a main objective obviously to keep the story progressing, but there are A LOT of hidden treasures within this island and you can explore it for hours before you find everything. There are going to be some neat submissions built into this area as well.

tombraiderluka
07-05-06, 18:10
What about the Lara's moves,are they going to be same as in Legend?

MiCkiZ88
07-05-06, 18:11
The Island:

Our game will be featuring an island. This island will set a different pace for the game and experiment with a few new aspects that we feel would add rather than subract to the over all feel of it. Once you land on the shores of the island you will quickly realize that it is a completely open-ended level. There will be NO change in actual gameplay mechanics but you can choose to explore the tombs or jungles of the island in what ever order you would like. There is a main objective obviously to keep the story progressing, but there are A LOT of hidden treasures within this island and you can explore it for hours before you find everything. There are going to be some neat submissions built into this area as well.
another one I dreamed of and requested :d :jmp:

wonderboy
07-05-06, 18:12
:cln: the way i wan't it :jmp:

question...

will there be a sword?

will there be bullet time? not just bullet time moves?

poisoning?

wild animals?? snakes?

survival? eating? camp fire?

No sword, bullet time is crazy!! I'd even say that we're doing something completely new with it. Poisoning maybe. Wild Animals and Snakes lots of them but Lara won't just kill them for no reason. If you thought Legend was alive with all it's fluttering birds. Well...

Survival, no she won't be stranded anywhere where she will need to eat worms to live.

You'll die when you see what fire can do.

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 18:14
So like your a God, how do you cope?

MiCkiZ88
07-05-06, 18:15
No sword, bullet time is crazy!! I'd even say that we're doing something completely new with it. Poisoning maybe. Wild Animals and Snakes lots of them but Lara won't just kill them for no reason. If you thought Legend was alive with all it's fluttering birds. Well...

Survival, no she won't be stranded anywhere where she will need to eat worms to live.

You'll die when you see what fire can do.
burn down the whole island :D

Lew
07-05-06, 18:16
I wanna see a textured pic :P

RoseTyler
07-05-06, 18:17
:yik: WOW.... again!

wonderboy can I come to your house? :p LOL!

I wanna voice Lara!!!! :D

RoseTyler
07-05-06, 18:18
when it's done i will mail them out to people, they'd just have to pay shipping and handling and it will also be availible to download.

:gki:

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 18:19
I wanna see a textured pic :P

You'll have to wait till monday Lew :jmp: I can't!

wonderboy
07-05-06, 18:27
MiCkiZ88 i'm not saying anymore :-)

ummm she'll hvae her basic moves like running and walking and stuff but everything else is new and everything is animated from scratch

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 18:29
Ok nuf' questioning David, he's got a game to make :D

LegenDarY
07-05-06, 18:30
LegenDarY sorry I didn't post up the link earlier! Had to run to an important meeting, but check your PM tomorrow for a special exclusive.
hey i'm back.. i was gone today.. i saw your picture.. it's amazing.. it looks very realistic..

what do you mean with special exclusive, are you sending a picture to me? that would be soooo cool.. and don't worry about last night.. it's not your fault you had a meeting..

:wve:

I think somebody asked if there was going to be a modern city level, and yes there will be, but mostly jungles and tombs and.... cough...
Yeah that was me, btw i really like your idea for the island.. cause that's what a lot of fans want to see..

tombraiderluka
07-05-06, 18:44
I've read all posts,and everything about her moves(wall walking and stuff)amazing,really!;)

Timy226
07-05-06, 18:51
I guess this is Just for PC :(. My comp wont be able to take it. Will it be playable on Mid range PC settings. And Great WORK! :tmb:I think you should call this game. TR8 :D

LegenDarY
07-05-06, 18:55
I guess this is Just for PC :(. My comp wont be able to take it. Will it be playable on Mid range PC settings. And Great WORK! :tmb:I think you should call this game. TR8 :D
you have to be able to play Legend in next-gen mode to play this game.. and he shouldn't call it TR8, cause i think Eidos would stop him.. he should just keep going with his plan to make a TR game for private use.. and if it is possible to give it people who want it..

i don't think Eidos will like, but he can always change Lara and make his own adventure.. Eidos can't do anything about that if i'm not mistaking..

btw David, Lara looks like Karima in that picture.. does she look like Karima a lot?

RoseTyler
07-05-06, 18:57
you have to be able to play Legend in next-gen mode to play this game..

What?! Noooo! :( *cries*

Timy226
07-05-06, 18:59
[QUOTE=LegenDarY]you have to be able to play Legend in next-gen mode to play this game.. [QUOTE]

I never tried as i dont have TRL for Pc, but NO!!!! It prob wont. This sucks i was phsyched (sp?) for this game, now i am bummed out :(

BlackGrey
07-05-06, 19:00
What?! Noooo! :( *cries*

No, no, T-Unit said you could turn things down and still play it but things would be less shiny. I think :p

wonderboy
07-05-06, 19:01
Yeah you can turn it down to like PS2 graphics and it won't look nearly as nice.

RoseTyler
07-05-06, 19:01
No, no, T-Unit said you could turn things down and still play it but things would be less shiny. I think :p

Really? Thank goodness! I don't mind playing this game with less shiny graphics! Infact I would happily play it with a TR1 engine it sounds so incredible! :eek: :D

LegenDarY
07-05-06, 19:04
Yeah you can turn it down to like PS2 graphics and it won't look nearly as nice.
just to be clear about everything, you don't have to be able to play Legend in next-gen mode to play your TR game? you can play it if you can play Legend?

wonderboy
07-05-06, 19:06
yup

LegenDarY
07-05-06, 19:07
yup
that's great for everyone who aren't able to play Legend with next-gen on..

you said it won't look as nice, but it will still look very good? or not?

tombraiderluka
Yes,but it won't be really beautiful like they make it to be.

BlackGrey
So what are you creating right now David?