PDA

View Full Version : Blade Runner Special Edition: A History

TombRaiderLover
03-05-06, 16:30
First released in 1982 and immediately a box office disaster, Blade Runner has 24 years later gained the status as a cult classic and one of the greatest films ever made. Directed by Ridley Scott (Gladiator, Alien, Thelma and Louise,) Blade Runner is a visually impressive film starring Harrison Ford (Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, American Grafitti) about a 'blade runner,' a cop that has the job of destroying replicants. Replicants are robots with the intelligence and features of humans, but are illegal on Earth.

Unfortunately, the distributors thought the film would be far too confusing for audiences and forced the director into adding a voice-over by Ford. Also, the dark and moody tone of the film was disliked too, so a happy ending was filmed.

Ten years later, Ridley Scott was given the chance to create a Director's Cut that was true to his vision. With the removal of the happy ending and voice-over, the Director's Cut was released and received well. However, Scott later confessed that this new version of the film was a rush-jpb and that there were still any things that he wished to change.

Rumoured for release in 2002 to celebrate the film's 20th anniversary was a three-disc special edition that included the original cut, the Director's Cut, the Ultimate Director's Cut and tons of extras. However, legal reasons prevented the DVD from release, and four years later the DVD hasn't been available.

News from a few months ago revealed that Warner Bros have continued work on the much-awaited special edition DVD of Blade Runner and that they hope it sees a release next year, on its 25th anniversary. Let's hope that it finally gets released!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More info here:

http://www.brmovie.com/BR_Special_Edition.htm

interstellardave
03-05-06, 16:33
Can't wait! One of my favorite films of all time. It was a fantastic film originally and the original Directors Cut was even better. I'll buy this immediately upon release.

DragonDan
03-05-06, 16:37
An absolute fantastic film. Light years ahead of its time!
I also signed the petition on the other post.

DD

TombRaiderLover
03-05-06, 17:39
Thanks for signing!!!!! Hopefully this DVD gets released!!!!