PDA

View Full Version : Report: 'Da Vinci' Boycott Urged

Catapharact
03-05-06, 22:43
Report: 'Da Vinci' Boycott Urged

A Vatican official reportedly called for a boycott of the upcoming "The Da Vinci Code" film Friday, saying it contained "slanderous" offenses against Christianity that would have provoked a worldwide revolt had they been directed against Islam or the Holocaust.

Monsignor Angelo Amato — Pope Benedict XVI's former No. 2 when Benedict was head of the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith — made the comments in a speech at the Pontifical Holy Cross University, which is run by the conservative Catholic movement Opus Dei, the ANSA news agency reported.

"I hope all of you boycott this film," the Italian agency quoted Amato as saying. He said the film, based on the best-selling novel by Dan Brown, was full of "offenses, slander, historical and theological errors concerning Jesus, the gospel and the church."

"Slander, offenses and errors that if they were directed toward the Quran or the Shoah would have justifiably provoked a worldwide revolt," he said, referring to Islam's holy book and the Hebrew word for Holocaust.

"Yet because they were directed toward the Catholic Church, they remain 'unpunished,'" he said.

Church officials repeatedly have spoken out against the novel and the upcoming film adaptation, which stars Tom Hanks and Audrey Tautou and is scheduled for release May 19.

"The Da Vinci Code" contends that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and had descendants, and that Opus Dei, which is close to the Vatican, and the Catholic Church were at the center of a cover up.

Last year, Italian Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone — Amato's predecessor at the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith — called for a boycott of the book. And earlier this month, the preacher for the papal household, the Rev. Raniero Cantalamessa, denounced theories that make huge profits in denying church teaching about Jesus — an obvious reference to the film.

However, Opus Dei, which is portrayed as a murderous, power-hungry sect in the novel, has specifically refrained from publicly calling for a boycott of the film, aware that bitter criticism of Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" helped generate publicity for the movie.

Opus Dei has, however, asked Sony to put a disclaimer on the movie saying it is a work of fantasy.

Sony has not responded to that request but has said it views "The Da Vinci Code" as a work of fiction that isn't meant to harm any organization.

Amato's comments were the second this week against the film by church officials in Rome.

Earlier this week, the Interior Ministry took down an enormous ad promoting the film that was plastered on the scaffolding of a Rome church after church officials complained that the film was against Christ and the Catholic Church.

Rivendell
03-05-06, 22:48
Well I'm definitely going to boycott it now that this Italian agency has told me to!

HAH! I've already pre-booked my seats! :D

Thorir
03-05-06, 22:50
Poor Christians.

xMiSsCrOfTx
03-05-06, 22:51
I'm still seeing it, but thanks for the article. Very interesting.

Night Crawler
03-05-06, 22:59
I still intend to see it :)

DREWY
03-05-06, 23:00
I have tix for our premier on the 18th May. Best bit, they were free!
I take it that the film will never rate No 1 at the Vatican box office?

Maureen Errant
03-05-06, 23:04
Can't wait to see the movie...........cause that's all it is is a movie.
Can't wait to read the book............cause that's all it is is a book.

If this stuff did happen it happened over 2,000 years ago.

People, you have to get over this.

ELEN
03-05-06, 23:10
There are some things that I don't like, because according to our religion they are not true. However, I believe in God and this is enough for me (and I believe for every Christian). I'm not waiting for a movie or a book to change my mind and thoughts. So, I don't have a problem to this point.

The problem with the book (and the movie) is that the writer touches an subject that is sensitive for some people. I (as Christian) see my religion to be given in a wrong way. The worst part is that you can also watch it, and as we know it's easier to watch than reading something, which means that more people will know about the book. It's something like Alexander. The movie was full of **** and it had nothing to do with the reality.

I'm not watching the movie, because I have read the book and as it always happen, the movies that are based on books are not so good as the books.

Maureen Errant
03-05-06, 23:20
The way I see it. there are so many religions, and they all believe in the same thing.........just call it by a different name. Ufortunately each faction of christianity thinks that they are right and eveyone else is wrong. This to me makes no sense. If people followed the 10 commandments to the best of their ability, they wouldn't need organized religion to keep them in line.

TKone
03-05-06, 23:43
There are a lot of other things I have to do (and there are a lot of more serious problems in this world) So I have no time boycotting a good movie.:D

Like Maureen Errant said: It´s only a film! and it´s only a book. There sure a lot of people who might get offendet by some (maybe, who knows for sure ;)) wrong facts but I think there are a lot unsolved mysteries (and some mysteries about the vatikan, too) in this world and people love mysteries. That´s why the book was so succesful.

Angel666
04-05-06, 00:28
I didn't intend to see it anyway. I read the book and didn't like it. It was too preachy, imo.

Geck-o-Lizard
04-05-06, 07:12
I think it'll be good for people to have the chance to challenge their thoughts on Christianity without feeling like a traitor to their religion - they'll know that this is mostly false, but the hype got everyone interested in finding out more about ancient history outside the Bible's recollection of events, and more knowledge is better than less. A step towards people finding out what they truly believe in and who they really are.

Though maybe I'm hoping for too much. :p

I'm not going to boycott the film, anyway. Probably won't see it simply because I rarely go to the cinema or buy new movies because I'm lazy.

GodOfLight
04-05-06, 07:17
i hope the film is successful :tmb:

Zip
04-05-06, 07:21
They can't stop us we can see it if we want and i intend on doing so

MiCkiZ88
04-05-06, 07:54
Poor Christians.
Who you calling poor christian's! :mad: I'm a christian! And I intend to watch the movie!! :cen: :cen:

MiCkiZ88
04-05-06, 07:55
There are some things that I don't like, because according to our religion they are not true. However, I believe in God and this is enough for me (and I believe for every Christian). I'm not waiting for a movie or a book to change my mind and thoughts. So, I don't have a problem to this point.

The problem with the book (and the movie) is that the writer touches an subject that is sensitive for some people. I (as Christian) see my religion to be given in a wrong way. The worst part is that you can also watch it, and as we know it's easier to watch than reading something, which means that more people will know about the book. It's something like Alexander. The movie was full of **** and it had nothing to do with the reality.

I'm not watching the movie, because I have read the book and as it always happen, the movies that are based on books are not so good as the books.

true...

gazhammer
04-05-06, 07:57
Apparently i am Jesus' great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great... . Aghh Nuts!......you get the idea?........................... Grandson.:D

Lenochka
04-05-06, 10:01
Omg what is the big deal? If you dont like the idea dont watch it. Im not planning on seeing it. I find contraversal movies to be... corny or boring... i havent even read the book so i dont see a reason to see it...

Voni
04-05-06, 11:07
This really winds me up... the book and film are both FICTION, Dan Brown wasn't telling us that really is some huge coverup by the Catholic church, it's a damned STORY!

And I'm a Catholic! I'm going to see it!

Dingaling
04-05-06, 12:18
The Vatican are getting their knickers in a twist over a work of FICTION... seems their hiding something... *Gets out detective hat and magnifying glass*

Shark_Blade
04-05-06, 12:36
Have you read "Memnoch the Devil" by Anne Rice?
My friend told me about it

Ampersand
04-05-06, 12:48
I won't be seeing it, can't be bothered... :pi:

And though the book was a work of fiction, I guess a lot of people who read it actually thought otherwise. That's why there's been an uproar over the whole Da Vinci thing. :o

Gabi
04-05-06, 18:06
I think it'll be good for people to have the chance to challenge their thoughts on Christianity without feeling like a traitor to their religion - they'll know that this is mostly false, but the hype got everyone interested in finding out more about ancient history outside the Bible's recollection of events, and more knowledge is better than less. A step towards people finding out what they truly believe in and who they really are.

http://www.britishspanking.com/forums/images/smilies/amen.gif to that.

It makes me wonder, though, why the vatican gets so upset about it all...........

Anubis_AF
04-05-06, 18:31
Can't say I didn't buy it. I'm watching the film definitely.

Sunwave
04-05-06, 18:53
Who cares? It's not meant as truth but as fiction, so... It actually CAN'T offend anyone except if you don't know what FICTION means. Sometimes I realy thing people are stupid...:rolleyes:

Cochrane
04-05-06, 19:42
You'd think that Sony pays the catholic church to say things like that…

Same thing happened here in germany with something different recently: Popetown, an animated series that is meant to make fun of the Vatican, started being aired on MTV. All kinds of politicians and church officials screamed "Bah, stop that, that's evil!". MTV embedded the airing of the first episode into a talk show with some church representatives and enjoyed a high number of people watching, mostly prompted by the comments against it.

If the catholic church doesn't like the movie, they should stay calm about it, everything else is just going to generate more publicity. Telling people that the movie does not represent truth would be as useless as putting a sticker in a rear view mirror saying "Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear" - they already knew that, unless they're stupid.

scion05
04-05-06, 19:51
silly vatican... it looks kinda cool :p

Greenkey2
04-05-06, 20:48
You know, I'm thinking of boycotting the Hobbits' Annual Reunion Festival because some silly sod called Tolkien wrote some toss about the little folk having the balls to overthrow the Dark Lord Sauron! :eek: :mad: As if they'd ever do such a thing!

My point: Enjoy the book as FICTION. Enjoy the movie as FICTION. To the people who insist on making a song and dance about the Da Vinchi Code (or any other controversial work), stop taking it too seriously!

jarhead
04-05-06, 21:22
its only a film and if they dont want to see it then its their choice. personally i would love to see it and im not going to boycott a film because a group feel that its slanderous.

AnthonyShock1515
04-05-06, 21:36
I knew this would happen, if they don't like it, don't see it, other people aren't bothered. Im sick of them keep protesting outside of cinemas getting this to stop, other people wanna see it, so they can get lost and ignore it if it bothers them so much, sorry if I offended anyone here but its getting rediculous.

Catapharact
04-05-06, 23:12
My thoughts on this:

The subject matter isn't touchy to me since I know for a fact that Roman Catholics of the past had religious sects bent on nothing but conquering and converting (referring to the Jesuits and the Templars; I don't think anyone can deny that their actions were... Questionalble.)

However what bothers me is the fact that the public got sooo mesmorized by this book. I mean all Dan Brown had to do was research a controvertial topic, and spin it in a 'tresure hunt' sort of mytery genere and the public bought it. Sad really IMO.

PS: Kudos to those who gave a perfect and bright response.

LegenDarY
04-05-06, 23:18
the banner at the top of this page says: the dark history of the church..

is that a coincidence or did you do that? if you did that, than how did you do that?