PDA

View Full Version : Straw Dogs - sexist????????

TombRaiderLover
04-05-06, 14:50
Some consider the classic film Straw Dogs sexist. I haven't seen it for such a long time so I can't remember enough to back it up or disagree, but what do you think???

Capt. Murphy
04-05-06, 14:57
Apparently and according to you -in your other topic- this movie has rape scenes in it. How is talking about a movie of that nature appropriate for an all age forum?

I expect this topic to be closed soon.

But that's just my opinion.

TombRaiderLover
04-05-06, 15:00
I didn't mention anything like that in THIS topic. Yes, I said it had scenes like that in another topic, but I didn't even go into detail.

Belfastard
04-05-06, 15:01

Exactly. Keep it to yourself please. :)

gazhammer
04-05-06, 15:01
Apparently and according to you -in your other topic- this movie has rape scenes in it. How is talking about a movie of that nature appropriate for an all age forum?

I expect this topic to be closed soon.

Hey Cap'n Murphy, when your opinion is asked for, ie; What is your opinion on................. ?. Thats cool;)

When you just add "your opinion" to every little thing, well.............. thats just annoying!.;)

Capt. Murphy
04-05-06, 15:16
Hey Cap'n Murphy, when your opinion is asked for, ie; What is your opinion on................. ?. Thats cool;)

When you just add "your opinion" to every little thing, well.............. thats just annoying!.;)That's funny. I don't remember anyone asking for your opinion either.

TombRaiderLover
04-05-06, 15:18
Please don't start an argument!!!!!!!! All I asked was what people thought about the film!

gazhammer
04-05-06, 15:19
That's funny. I don't remember anyone asking for your opinion either.

Yes but i admit to being annoying!.;)

Belfastard
04-05-06, 15:31
Yes but i admit to being annoying!.;)

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy0195.gif Gaz.

scion05
04-05-06, 15:33
i dont see whats wrong with
discussing anything like a film with some scenes
of an adult/sexist/abusive nature as long as we're
very brief... so we dont explain the scene and just
talk about what it is etc....

Jacob x5
04-05-06, 16:50
You don't really to worry about it being appropriate. If people have seen the film, they have seen it. If people haven't seen the film, they won't know what you're on about.

EDIT: Oh, and one other thing.

Sexism. :rolleyes: Now what is that, really?

gazhammer
04-05-06, 16:53
You don't really to worry about it being appropriate. If people have seen the film, they have seen it. If people haven't seen the film, they won't know what you're on about.

EDIT: Oh, and one other thing.

Sexism. :rolleyes: Now what is that, really?

You tell me dude?.;)

Capt. Murphy
04-05-06, 16:58
Yeah, and I bet if someone mentions a movie about b:cen:y asian nurses -as long as they haven't seen it- they shouldn't know what that person is on about either. :pi:

Jacob x5
04-05-06, 17:28
You tell me dude?.;)

Something made up by easily-offended lifeless individuals with nothing better to do than find an excuse to complain. :p

gazhammer
04-05-06, 17:30
Something made up by easily-offended lifeless individuals with nothing better to do than find an excuse to complain. :p

Hey dude, thats damn near the best defenition i've ever heard.:tmb:

Jacob x5
04-05-06, 17:30
Ok, seriously though sexism is when a person hurts physically or doesn't allow a certain sex to go to places or do certain things. The idea of sexist comments has gone way over the top, and people are being too sensitive about it if you ask me.

Jacob x5
04-05-06, 17:31
Hey dude, thats damn near the best defenition i've ever heard.:tmb:

:p

EDIT: Sorry, I'm going off the original topic a little.

Capt. Murphy
04-05-06, 17:43
sex·ism

1. Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.

2. Attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender.
sexhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/prime.gifist adj. & n.

adj : discriminatory on the basis of gender (usually said of men's attitude toward women) n : a man with a chauvinistic belief in the inferiority of women.

So if this movie is about the "abuse" of women (I don't want to get too specific or graphic as to clue anyone as to what this movie might involve) or if it is degrading to women, then yes. It must be sexist.

There. Mystery solved. :pi:

Jacob x5
04-05-06, 17:56
1. Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.

That definition of sexism could be classed as sexist. If I said something bad about women, everyone would be after me, but when a woman says they can get men to do whatever they want them to do, no-one cares.
A hundred or so years ago men were the dominant gender and that's the way it was. It's no use trying to 'balance it out' now.

Capt. Murphy
04-05-06, 18:00
Okay. Maybe not "especially" but more like "typically". I just pasted what Dictionary.com said. :p

TombRaiderLover
04-05-06, 20:05
This was from imdb.com:

'My interpretation of straw dogs is that it has a message that could be seen as sexist. To me the movie is about mans dominance over the woman. Amy loves David but she doesn’t respect his manhood. She needs to feel that her man is stronger than her. If he’s stronger than her, then he can protect her from outside threats. What amy really wants is to fear David. Then she’d feel safer. Which is a paradox. '