PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Kubrick: Appreciation Thread

TombRaiderLover
06-05-06, 16:10
This is a thread for Stanley Kubrick (RIP) fans. He is a brilliant film director, who created films such as Lolitia, Spartacus, Dr Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut.

gazhammer
06-05-06, 16:13
I have The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut on DVD, but must admit to not being a fan of the others!.:D

TombRaiderLover
06-05-06, 16:15
I only have The Shining. I saw Eyes Wide Shut a few weeks ago on TV.

gazhammer
06-05-06, 16:17
I only have The Shining. I saw Eyes Wide Shut a few weeks ago on TV.

Have you not seen FMJ before?, you really should!.;)

TombRaiderLover
06-05-06, 16:19

Unfortunately not. I've also seen Spartacus, 2001: A Space Odyssey (have you seen that?) and A Clockwork Orange (have you seen that? Have you??? Havvee youuuu???)

stereopathic
06-05-06, 16:21
my favorite director of all time. as well as all those amazing movies that TRL mentioned he is also responsible for the invention of the SteadyCam. 2001 is one of the most mind-bending films i've ever seen, ambiguous to a point of becoming visual music. everyone loves full metal jacket and i'll never forget the incredible barry lyndon, a film lit entirely by natural light. spartacus is unforgettable (even though he was director in name only), and dr. strangelove is one of the smartest satires ever made. he will always be remembered for his precise direction, unforgettable imagery and his unbending handling of the actors.

TombRaiderLover
06-05-06, 16:24
Spartacus is a huge epic masterpiece, 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of the most influential films ever made, full of beautiful visuals, symbolism and music. A Clockwork Orange is a gripping tale of free will and a daring prediction of a future with a crumbling society. The Shining is a horror classic with brilliant photography and sets, and Eyes Wide Shut is an underrated erotic thriller, shot with an odd dream-like quality.

UNDERTAKER
06-05-06, 16:25
I watched Eyes Wide Shut last night. Excellent film. I love the haunting piano tune! Just a few simple keys, yet so effective. Stanley Kubrick was a genius!

stereopathic
06-05-06, 16:25
dude, TRL! he is not kidding. go see this now! right now!

TombRaiderLover
06-05-06, 16:26
I watched Eyes Wide Shut last night. Excellent film. I love the haunting piano tune! Just a few simple keys, yet so effective. Stanley Kubrick was a genius!

Yeah, that music was creepy!!! :yik: Those masks were scary too! :yik: I first watched the film a few weeks ago.

TombRaiderLover
06-05-06, 16:28
dude, TRL! he is not kidding. go see this now! right now!

I would if a special edition comes out.

Special editions of four of his films are coming out in September!!! :D

TombRaiderLover
06-05-06, 16:31
I have The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut on DVD, but must admit to not being a fan of the others!.:D

You have his last three films! :D

stereopathic
06-05-06, 16:49
not too many people know that kubrick's true love was editing, not directing. he played a very active role in the editing process and it was one of the reasons why he shot so many miles of film.

TombRaiderLover
06-05-06, 16:55
Oh, why did he have to die???

stereopathic
06-05-06, 16:58
especially before he got to do A.I. woulda been much better with him at the helm. way more of a kubrick-type story than a spielberg.

TombRaiderLover
06-05-06, 16:59
I know!!!! He did so much planning for that film!!!

Real Life Lara
06-05-06, 18:16
I havent seen a lot of his movies, only The Shining really, which I loved. It was so freaky! :eek: Scary twin girls in the halls... ARGH!

Also I was really drawn to replying to this thread because everyone's writing in bold. :p

TombRaiderLover
06-05-06, 18:17
Heeerrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeee'ss Johnnyyyyyyyyy!!!

Real Life Lara
06-05-06, 18:20
Redrum.... :whi:

TombRaiderLover
06-05-06, 18:24
REDRUUUMMMMMMMMMM . . . REDRUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM . . . REDRUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM . . . Redrum! Redrum! Redrum!