PDA

View Full Version : Help! Ant invasion!

Geck-o-Lizard
08-05-06, 17:52
My kitchen is swarming with ants. Literally. There must be an ants' nest under the floor or in the walls behind the cabinets or something.

How the heck would I be able to find where the nest is without having to tear all the worktops and cupboards out? :confused:

Real Life Lara
08-05-06, 17:53
Smoke them out? :whi:

Maybe not... :p

Ampersand
08-05-06, 17:54
Maybe follow the ants to see where they're coming from? :confused: Put down a lure or something and watch them carry it. :D

Nephili
08-05-06, 17:54
Stupid Question, wont they eventually die? But then you are left with dead ants in your kitchen. Hmm this is a tough one.

Geck-o-Lizard
08-05-06, 17:57
If we give 'em about a decade the nest will probably die out, but I don't want to have them around for a week more let alone years. :p

Amp: I tried that. They're too smart. They just ran under the cutting board and hid, or changed direction so I couldn't see where they were going. They're well trained. :(

xMyrax
08-05-06, 17:58
*raises finger* I have the puuurrfect solution...Bug Repellant! *jolly music in background* :mis:

Zip
08-05-06, 17:58
A freind of my dads had a invasion in his living room only way is call exterminators in and have it gased

Nephili
08-05-06, 17:59
Hmm well im stumped then, and i agree, i wouldnt want ants round for years either.

Lavinder
08-05-06, 18:01
:eek: No clue how to help you sorry but I hope you get rid of the little fellas'.

ELEN
08-05-06, 18:02
If their nest is behind the cabinets, killing them with poison wouldn't be a good idea, because you will end up with many dead ants. Just check from where they are coming from and remove the specific cabinet or the plinth if you see them coming from the base units (just to take a look). If the cabinets are not old, the wall units can be removed, but this has to be done by someone that knows.

illuminati30
08-05-06, 18:04
My kitchen is swarming with ants. Literally. There must be an ants' nest under the floor or in the walls behind the cabinets or something.

How the heck would I be able to find where the nest is without having to tear all the worktops and cupboards out? :confused:

Both my sisters living in the southside of Glasgow are having the same problem. I have no idea whats going on! Its not affected me, YET!

xMyrax
08-05-06, 18:08
OH GECK I'VE REALLY GOT THE PERFECT SOLUTION NOW! :D:D:D

Play Unreal Tournament with those tiny folks! ^_~

tombraider123
08-05-06, 18:18
Use the Vacum Cleaner :D :cln:

jun89
08-05-06, 18:56
I somehow can understand how terrible ants can be...:pi: Every year, between July and August these terrible, big flying ants come to my bedroom!!! They come somewhere under the floor and then spread over the room. I haven't got any other solution than to spray them and then vacuum them. If I only vacuum them they crawl out from the machine! :eek:

And 'cos I'm such a freak I go nuts when the ants are all over the place! I start smacking them with something...:D

Geck-o-Lizard
08-05-06, 18:56
OH GECK I'VE REALLY GOT THE PERFECT SOLUTION NOW! :D:D:D

Play Unreal Tournament with those tiny folks! ^_~

That's one good use for the spider mines. :vlol:

Elen: My dad built and fitted (and hasn't yet completed) our kitchen (and we've had it in a state of 70% completion for nearly a decade now) so if anything needs removed, he'll be able to do it.

Vacuum cleaner doesn't sound like a bad idea once we locate the nest, lmao. Got a big powerful Dyson; might see if it works. For now, I've put a line of washing up liquid along the floor around the cabinets so I can roughly figure out where most of the ants are going to/coming from.

With all the daft ideas I'm getting now I'm beginning to feel a bit like that mad scientist I drew. :cln:

Every year, between July and August these terrible, big flying ants come to my bedroom!!!

Argh! A huge swarm of those ants came here a couple of years ago and filled up the air for about two square miles just along the road from where I live. Had to walk through the swarm on a hot evening one day. I'd go insane if I had those in my room every year. :eek:

jun89
08-05-06, 19:23
I'd go insane if I had those in my room every year. :eek:

I GO insane! :D It's terrible trying to sleep when you think the ants are crawling in your bed.:eek: Ants are terrible!!!! :cln:

Greenkey2
08-05-06, 19:28
We also have ants that appear this time of year. They're harmless, but definitely not welcome in the house. We spray Deathlak on the floor underneath the kitchen cabinets (I have to keep away as it is really nasty stuff :eek:). You could also try pouring boiling water down the holes outside the house where they might be emerging.

Ants = major urgh

Ampersand
08-05-06, 19:29
If it's any consolation, I saw one ant crawling along our kitchen windowsill this morning. I took drastic action with large mug. :D

daventry
08-05-06, 19:58
:) Call me, im 10 times better then the Bug Exterminantors.

I havent seen an Ant in 3 Years now.

Spiders, Flies, Misquitoes, Bugs, Moths, Crickets are scares here in our House.

They know me, oh they know me very well. http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/evilgrin/evilgrin0002.gif

AnthonyShock1515
08-05-06, 20:21
I get them in my living room every summer.

Try using these, they really worked for me.

Washing up liquid
Talc Powder
Lemon juice (Anything citric)
Vinegar.

They worked swell for me:)

Geck-o-Lizard
08-05-06, 20:36
Thanks Anthony, I'll give them a shot. :wve: Might try mixing them into a paste and smearing it in lines around the floor under the cabinets if parents don't object to the smell (mum and sister hate vinegar).

AnthonyShock1515
08-05-06, 20:41
Thanks Anthony, I'll give them a shot. :wve: Might try mixing them into a paste and smearing it in lines around the floor under the cabinets if parents don't object to the smell (mum and sister hate vinegar).

Now thats the ol' noggin;)

Good luck:)

xMiSsCrOfTx
08-05-06, 20:41
Stupid Question, wont they eventually die?

Maybe, but they'll also breed and lay more eggs, resulting in even more ants. :eek:

Geck, do you know of any local exterminators? They'll probably have a sufficient way of getting rid of the ants without having to tear the entire kitchen apart. In my old house, we used to have an ant problem. Not as bad as yours sounds, though. We just set small glue traps and they'd die.

ELEN
08-05-06, 21:03
:) Call me, im 10 times better then the Bug Exterminantors.

I havent seen an Ant in 3 Years now.

Spiders, Flies, Misquitoes, Bugs, Moths, Crickets are scares here in our House.

They know me, oh they know me very well. http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/evilgrin/evilgrin0002.gif

What do you do to them? :D

Geck-o-Lizard
08-05-06, 21:11
If he's anything like me, he'll chase the flying ones around the house with a baseball bat. :p

Geck, do you know of any local exterminators?

Not personally... but the Yellow Pages should work if I run out of ideas and give up. Do they just seal off the room and pump poison gas in or something?

CerebralAssassin
08-05-06, 21:18
I'm surprised nobody hasn't mentioned this:eliminate all crumbs,become a clean freak for a little while!:D the only reason those suckers are sticking around is because they're finding food :p

xMiSsCrOfTx
08-05-06, 21:19
Do they just seal off the room and pump poison gas in or something?

You know, I'm not sure. You'd have to contact them, as different places may do different things.

Geck-o-Lizard
08-05-06, 21:26
I'm surprised nobody hasn't mentioned this:eliminate all crumbs,become a clean freak for a little while!:D the only reason those suckers are sticking around is because they're finding food :p

If you saw our kitchen, you'd realise it would be easier to invent cold fusion than to keep the place spotless for more than an hour. :p

I mean, heck, things appear in the kitchen that nobody can explain, like guinea pig seeds in the cutlery drawer.

lee32uk
08-05-06, 23:08
@Gecko

Do you have paving flags outside your house? They sometimes have there nests under concrete flags/paving stones etc.The best way to totally get rid is to lift the flags and see if there is a nest underneath.The ants will find a way into the house through outlet pipes etc.Pour lighter fluid or petrol onto the soil under the flags and toast the ants...best way to get rid of them.Also buy some ant powder from b&q and put some where they are coming in.If you can kill the queen (who will be deep down in the soil) the rest will die too.

Geck-o-Lizard
08-05-06, 23:26
There are lots of old paving stones outside the back door, and I've got absolutely no doubt that there'll be a nest somewhere there, but I didn't expect they'd be able to get inside the house in as many numbers as there seem to be. I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can find any spots of heavy activity between the slabs and if I can't secure the house I'll try eliminating them. Good suggestion, I was too busy hunting indoors to think about the garden. :o

xMiSsCrOfTx
08-05-06, 23:30
Not to change the subject, but I think a bumblebee's building its nest under my back step! :eek:

Geck-o-Lizard
08-05-06, 23:35
Yeeek! Well, tell it to stop, lmao! Better kill it now than when you've got a whole hive there to remove. We had to clear a wasp nest from a wall in my gran'pa's house; pain in the rear end getting rid of it.

madderakka
09-05-06, 04:01
Can't you just buy ant traps? They're like black boxes with poison inside that the ants take back to their nest so the whole nest dies, queen included. The last time I came back from vacation I had a full blown ant invasion: I laid the traps and they were gone in 2-3 days

Capt. Murphy
09-05-06, 06:01
Last year I had a mess of Ants in one bathroom. They all walked along the same line on the bathroom counter. It was from around the door, over the front edge, to the corner and around the sink. I have no idea what they could've been getting for food. The kithcen was just a rooms distance away. Well, I did have a few ants in the kitchen as well. But nowhere near the number that was in the bathroom.

So, I bought Ant poison. Pretty obvious -yeah- I know. ;) It comes in a bottle and is clear or discolored liquid. It's like sugar water. Just place a drop or more around the Ant traffic areas. You'll notice a ring of Ants gathering around the drop/s drinking them up. They can return to their nests and essentially infect the other ants with poison too. :mis:

I took about 2 or 3 days, but there were literally NO MORE ants. :D

BTW: The products name: Terro (http://www.terro.com/). :tmb:

I don't know if it would be sold in your country or not.

AnthonyShock1515
09-05-06, 06:20
My aunt in Liverpool had a house party once, and all of a sudden a crash was heard from upstairs, in the study, a massive wasp nest had crashed through the celing and it was the size of a boulder, she showed my pics and it was horrible, however the nest was abandoned by the wasps so there was no threat

AnthonyShock1515
09-05-06, 06:22
Also, my other aunt (Who lives just next door the aunt I was talking about^) she had a nest of flying aunts in her bathroom, and they removed the bath ans there were loads! She also said that the queen was white. Is the queen usually white? What would happen if you killed the queen?

Capt. Murphy
09-05-06, 06:35
...the queen was white. Is the queen usually white? What would happen if you killed the queen?I've seen in some nature documentaries - the queens are white... and usually HUGE! :yik: Although I don't know if that was an Ant or a Termite. :o Then again, they might both be like that. *shudders*

Oh, and you asked what would happen if you killed the queen. I think if anyone had the opportunity to kill one the first thing they might do is poke a big hole in that LARGE Abdomen.... It's not a Thorax. That's above -right? :confused: It might be like when you smash a pregnant fly, and all the little baby maggots wiggle about.

As for the ant colony I think they would break up, maybe try to find another queen, or if one is born they'll raise that up to be the new queen. I really don't know.

gazhammer
09-05-06, 06:36

I get the same thing every frickin year:hea:

My house is spotless thanks to my OCD, but still they come, wave after wave of tiny terrors!.

All i usually do is run a line of poison along the rear outer wall of the house(so to get in they have to pass through the trail of poison) and if i do still find a few in the house they are usually dead or dieing!.

If it rains(washes away poison), just put down more until the buggers are dead.;)

Capt. Murphy
09-05-06, 06:39
If anyone is bored you could probably make a maze of dish soap on your counter top. Yeah, it's messy. But amusing to see the little things find their way through. :p They shouldn't cross the lines of soap. If they do they'll get stuck and kill themselves. :D

Geck-o-Lizard
09-05-06, 17:21
@Gecko

Do you have paving flags outside your house? They sometimes have there nests under concrete flags/paving stones etc.The best way to totally get rid is to lift the flags and see if there is a nest underneath.The ants will find a way into the house through outlet pipes etc.Pour lighter fluid or petrol onto the soil under the flags and toast the ants...best way to get rid of them.Also buy some ant powder from b&q and put some where they are coming in.If you can kill the queen (who will be deep down in the soil) the rest will die too.

HAHAHAH! I GOT 'EM!

You were right on target. :D The nest was under a slab about a metre and a half away from the door. I lifted up two other slabs before I found it, but when I found the nest I knew that was it because of all the little baby ant maggots and the huge swarm of the beasts. Made about four cubic feet of ant-mud paste with a just-add-boiling-water formula. :mis:

Now to wait and see if that does the trick.

AnthonyShock1515
09-05-06, 17:24
hehe, did you use my formula?:D

Geck-o-Lizard
09-05-06, 17:28
Nope, not yet; haven't got any vinegar, and that sounds like a pretty crucial ingredient. I'll pop into a fast-food restaurant next time I pass one and grab a couple of handfuls of those little free vinegar sachets they give you...

Lonely Istari
09-05-06, 17:33
Ew! I *hate* bugs! There was a colony of ants in one of the walls of my house once *shudders*! :eek: You could even hear them crawling in the wall!!! :yik: We had to call an exterminator and they gassed them out or something, I dunno I was too scared to watch!

AnthonyShock1515
09-05-06, 17:37
I dont know what it is but the word 'nest' makes me shudder, it has a kind of negative feel to it. Apart from a birs nest, which is positive.

Lew
09-05-06, 17:38
I dont know what it is but the word 'nest' makes me shudder, it has a kind of negative feel to it. Apart from a birs nest, which is positive.

Not anymore :whi:

lee32uk
09-05-06, 18:11
Just make sure you keep pouring the boiling water down there at regular intervals as there will still be a lot of ants (and the Queen) deeper down in the soil.If you can manage to kill the Queen then the rest should die too.

Geck-o-Lizard
09-05-06, 18:18
Mmm, regicide. :p

Ampersand
09-05-06, 18:19
:vlol: Now I'm stuck with a vision of you lot murdering the Queen. :D