PDA

View Full Version : Sony are gona loose big time with this whole price thing....

Timy226
09-05-06, 19:40
With the stripped down version of Ps3 they gona loose out. Not a lot of peeps have money for the full one. With 360 prob getting a price drop, as they said there will be one evry year, i think its between Nintendo and Microsoft now. Wii was a big success for me, i was nto expecting to be so WoWed by it.

Lara Lover
09-05-06, 19:43
Yes, It's abit disapointing about the PS3 price. You know?

I think I'm going to purchase a 360 and maybe get a PS3 whenever it's abit cheaper. Or, Buy the 360 and wait for the PS4 :D

RoseTyler
09-05-06, 19:43
Why, how much does a PS3 cost?

Lara Lover
09-05-06, 19:44
$500 with the 20 GB Harddrive
$600 with the 60 GB Harddrive

:tmb:

Timy226
09-05-06, 19:44
I got a 360 at launch, its well worth it, with awesome games to come (namely GTA4 WOOT!). I am plannign on getting a PS3 when sony realise how silly there pricing is and knock it down.

I want a Wii!

MiCkiZ88
09-05-06, 19:45
hmm.. I'm gonna say it again.. the price IS LOW!!!

think of a pc with eight cell cores that are clocked at 3.2ghz
and with those graphix... hehe.. I'm gonna shut up for now.. but it would cost more than 5000€ than 499 €

RoseTyler
09-05-06, 19:47
$500 thats like £250 in the UK. Thats about the price of the PS2 when it first came out. Infact I think the PS2 was £300. :eek:

MiCkiZ88
09-05-06, 19:47
$500 thats like £250 in the UK. Thats about the price of the PS2 when it first came out. Infact I think the PS2 was £300. :eek:
exactly... :ton:

scion05
09-05-06, 19:48
then the paper lies.... they said ps3 is £300.... :whi:

Timy226
09-05-06, 19:49
No its £350 not 250. The lower priced one is stripped down etc, i cant really explain, not as good as it sounds, its not really worth it in my opinion, all i want it for is FFXIII and i am goan wait for a big price drop

I want Wii!

MiCkiZ88
09-05-06, 19:51
No its £350 not 250. The lower priced one is stripped down etc, i cant really explain, not as good as it sounds, its not really worth it in my opinion, all i want it for is FFXIII and i am goan wait for a big price drop

I want Wii!
not good enough :yik: ??
you're crazy you know it... jk:ton:

RoseTyler
09-05-06, 19:51
No its £350 not 250

Its 250 for the one I was talking about. ;) 350 for the $600 one obviously.

Timy226
09-05-06, 20:03
Ahh ok, as i said the 250 is stripped down. I dont understand it properly but i dont think u can use HD or Blu-ray on the cheaper one. I dont know if thats right. The whole thing confuses me.

MiCkiZ88
09-05-06, 20:06
Ahh ok, as i said the 250 is stripped down. I dont understand it properly but i dont think u can use HD or Blu-ray on the cheaper one. I dont know if thats right. The whole thing confuses me.
erm the stripped down version is only 20gb when the more expensive onwe is 60gb or 80gb harddrive :confused:

Timy226
09-05-06, 20:08
No its much more than just a smaller hard-drive, but i dont know the full details.

MiCkiZ88
09-05-06, 20:09
No its much more than just a smaller hard-drive, but i dont know the full details.
maybe the conroller.. since they showed it's abilities of conrolling with mere hand movements...

Timy226
09-05-06, 20:11
No the controller is the same in all versions. It is somehting to do with Blu-ray capability and HD capability.

MiCkiZ88
09-05-06, 20:13
No the controller is the same in all versions. It is somehting to do with Blu-ray capability and HD capability.
strange... but bluray was especially designed for ps3 :confused:

might be the same thing with it than with xbox360

Timy226
09-05-06, 20:14
Yeah, thats why i am confused :confused:. I dont understand it properly.

Timy226
09-05-06, 20:14
might be the same thing with it than with xbox360

What do you mean?

MiCkiZ88
09-05-06, 20:15
What do you mean?
bluetooth conroller ( wireles ) and preinstalled net

interstellardave
09-05-06, 20:36
Any way you cut it the PS3 is $200.00 US MORE than the 360 packages were at launch... you can expect a corresponding price differential in the UK or wherever you are.

MiCkiZ88
09-05-06, 20:39
hmph.. I'm getting a ps3.. even if it might cost 10.000€ I'd still buy it :p No point of trying to turna faithfull ps3 fan to xbox.. I even though to buy the xbox360.. but the games :cen: ps3 has way better games!!!!

Timy226
09-05-06, 20:40
but the games :cen: ps3 has way better games!!!!

All a matter of opinion i dont find any interesting really excpet FFXIII

Thorir
09-05-06, 20:50
Money is of no importance. :)

Melonie Tomb Raider
09-05-06, 21:10
It's pricey, but basically made for hardcore gamers. I'll definitely be standing in line to get a 60 gig version opening day. In all reality, since online is free, it's not that much moret han the 360, and the graphics are far superior.

MiCkiZ88
09-05-06, 21:13
It's pricey, but basically made for hardcore gamers. I'll definitely be standing in line to get a 60 gig version opening day. In all reality, since online is free, it's not that much moret han the 360, and the graphics are far superior.
glad to hear someone thinks the same :D

chloe
09-05-06, 21:17
well I be getting nintendo wii or xbox 360 plus not smart to get $500 or $600
version of ps3 on lanch day look what to xbox 360 people had lot defect
xbox 360 so it could happen ps3 to be defect like xbox 360 were

Melonie Tomb Raider
09-05-06, 21:21
I'm getting alll three consoles, but the PS3 is the only one I'll get right away.

I'm glad to hear you agree with me Mic :tmb:

RoseTyler
09-05-06, 21:23
Money is of no importance. :)

Except if you don't have any...

MiCkiZ88
09-05-06, 21:26
I'm getting alll three consoles, but the PS3 is the only one I'll get right away.

I'm glad to hear you agree with me Mic :tmb:
who wouldn't.. that phrase brought up just how superior ps3 is.. besides I LOVE sony..

meansizzler
09-05-06, 21:27
Microsoft owns the Online Play/Content, sony can't touch them and the Know it...

tlr online
09-05-06, 21:29
Sony are gonna lose coz they arrived too late for the party this time round.

MiCkiZ88
09-05-06, 21:31
true.. but still..

Melonie Tomb Raider
09-05-06, 21:32
Microsoft owns the Online Play/Content, sony can't touch them and the Know it...

Well Sony claims that their online system for the PS3 will be better than Xbox Live. We'll see though.

I'm just happy that it's free. So over time, you'll actually save money on the PS3 over a 360.

Not to bash the 360, I'm still gunna get one.

Melonie Tomb Raider
09-05-06, 21:34

I disagree. I don't think we were ready for next gen last year.

Only time will tell though.

xMiSsCrOfTx
09-05-06, 21:38
For those who are worried about the price, just buy it when it goes down.

meansizzler
09-05-06, 21:38
Well Sony claims that their online system for the PS3 will be better than Xbox Live. We'll see though.

I'm just happy that it's free. So over time, you'll actually save money on the PS3 over a 360.

Not to bash the 360, I'm still gunna get one.

Have you used Xbox Live yet?, if you have you would know what I'm talking about..., Real Time Voice chat, Text Messaging, Video Messaging, Online Play, Game/Movie Trailer Downloads, Demo's and much more, with XBox Live your always connected, you can see when your friends are online, get game invites while playing a movie or watching aTv, heck even voice chat while watching a dvd or streaming TV through the 360...The 360 is your media hub, the only thing you need connected to your HDTV, your cable/sattelite tuner are all hooked up to your media center pc then access everything through the 360, stream live tv, set recordings, purchase movies on demand, prett much do anything you can imagine...

UNDERTAKER
09-05-06, 21:41
I don't believe Sony's online service will work as well as everyone hopes. Microsoft has spent years establishing Xbox Live and it is now very successful. Also I don't believe the whole 'our online is free'. You will still have to pay for all the extra game content etc.

Also, I read that the stripped down PS3 (20 GB HDD) lacks HDMI inputs and other features. Plus, Sony has lost out on big exclusive franchises like Grand Theft Auto. Their E3 presentation was lackluster at best. While Sony had MGS4, Gran Turismo and the unknown Heavenly Sword, Microsoft had the likes of Halo 3, Gears of War, Alan Wake, Grand Theft Auto IV exclusive content and so much more.

I love the PS3 don't get me wrong and I can't wait to get one, but Sony's arrogance has cost them big time. The thought they could dominate for the 3rd generation in a row but I doubt this will happen.

Dingaling
09-05-06, 21:50
GTA4 is coming to PS3 UT, unless I misread your post :) :wve:

BUT, I do think Sony will win this console war again - but the difference won't be as much as this console war. Maybe they'll be 40% and the Ninty and M$ 30%. And it'll take them a small while to catch up with the X360.

Altho' most reports have the majority percentage of people wanting a PS3, wonder how much that's changed from the price announcement? :D I want it for Tekken 6 - that's my main buying reason :)

Melonie Tomb Raider
09-05-06, 21:50
You forgot to mention Assassin's Creed UT. ;) The only thing Microsoft has to top that, in my opinion, would be Halo 3. You also neglected to mention Final Fantasy XIII and FF vs XIII. Most definitely worth mentioning. Metal Gear Solid 4 and Devil May Cry 4 as well. I keep remembering more! :jmp: The PS3 has just as many (more in my opinion) impressive exclusive titles as the Xbox 360. Not to mention, Alan Wake and GTA will also be on the PS3. At least I'm pretty sure... Correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

I was absolutely floored with Sony's press conference. A million times better than I even expected; astononishing. I think perhaps people have gotten their hopes up.

And Meansizzler, yes, I've played Xbox live before. The online is excellent, do doubt. I merely mentioned that Sony claims theirs will be better. I never said it actually was. We won't know until we try it.

LegenDarY
09-05-06, 23:20
new Tekken game as well ;)..

but sony won't lose a thing.. you'll see the console will sell just fine.. and the price will drop like always.. the ps3 will be the number console in the world.. (like playstation always has been).. no doubt about that

UNDERTAKER
10-05-06, 00:08
Alan Wake is now exclusive to 360 Mel :wve:

In any case, the next few years of gaming should be great for everyone :D

interstellardave
10-05-06, 00:12
Sony has great exclusives, no-one should ever doubt it--and you'll never hear me doubt it--but anyone thinking MS doesn't as well isn't looking very hard! Too Human, Alan Wake (now exclusive according to UT), Gears Of War, Halo 3, Fable 2 (and anything else made by the awesome Peter Molyneux and Lionhead studios)... MS is doing very well right now!

EDIT: Just watched the fantastic Fable 2 trailer... now that will be next-gen gaming! :D

Melonie Tomb Raider
10-05-06, 01:05

I agree. :)

Night Crawler
10-05-06, 01:07
I was absolutely floored with Sony's press conference.WTH? You must be the only person on the planet that was floored. It was the most boring conference ever!

ILG49ers
10-05-06, 01:10
Iím not too worried about the price for the PS3. I will get the full version for $600. Iíll be getting two part time jobs this summer to start saving up for it, though.:p

Melonie Tomb Raider
10-05-06, 01:15
WTH? You must be the only person on the planet that was floored. It was the most boring conference ever!

And you liked Nintendo's and Microsoft's better? I was bored out of my mind with the other two (and I'm a huge Nintendo fan by the way), but Sony's conference kept me enthralled! My brothers and I were so into it. I didn't want it to end, I thought it was downright incredible! I was shocked to hear that other people didn't like it. What did you expect?

Spitfire
10-05-06, 01:29
Alan Wake is now exclusive to 360 Mel :wve:

nope its on the PC too :)

PS3 will rise against the other consoles once its released, its gaming library always outdoes the others. I'm not saying its a for sure but i have supreme confidence that Sony's games will be so great that it will make the price tag worth it, which considering the way advanced technology they are throwing into the console a $600 dollar price tag is nothing. Considering the Blu-ray HD player alone is $1000 im looking a pretty sweet machine!

In order of my console priorities it follows:
1) PS3 because im a huge RPG fan and sony has always had the best selection for RPGs and it has so many great franchises like GTA, God of War, Devil May Cry, Tekken, Kingdom Hearts, and many many more that it would be stupid to pass that up.
2) Wii, i want to play with the controller and Zelda, Super Smash bros, and Mario!
3) 360 because I'm not that big of a fan for FPS beside Halo and their biggest problem is most of their games are going to come out for the PC, why buy a 360 when i have one that im typing on too!

In the end I'll probably get PS3 and Wii.

Oh and on a side note to TLR saying "PS3 is going to lose because it came in to late."
I do recall Dreamcast being incredibly revolutionary with its games and graphics for its time and then PS2 comming in after and killing it to bits.
Then you look at Xbox at the PS2 and they didn't take over...So in both situations Sony came out on top.
When i look at all my friends still more have a PS2 than they do a 360 and i know all of them are waiting for the PS3.
BUT I could be wrong so we'll just have to wait until the release of the system.

meansizzler
10-05-06, 01:33
I liekd Nintendo's one, it was pretty good unlike the last years conference, i like the free movement thing, and they have a speaker and vibration in the controls, great, liking the zelda, only thing good about the sony conference was the GT4 graphics, they were great, microsoft had a few good things, mainly the Live Aware as in cross platform gaming, that has to be the biggest thing, who cares about GTA....

Melonie Tomb Raider
10-05-06, 01:33
My console priorities are just the same as yours Spitfire :) Well said.

Joe_16
10-05-06, 01:45
I might buy the PS3.

Have always been a playstation player, although I have recently found myself converting to the PC. I won't be buying the PS3 on release, though. Far too expensive given the amount I would use it.

Spitfire
10-05-06, 02:03
My console priorities are just the same as yours Spitfire :) Well said. glad we share the same view :D

I might buy the PS3.

Have always been a playstation player, although I have recently found myself converting to the PC. I won't be buying the PS3 on release, though. Far too expensive given the amount I would use it.

Neither am i, im going to wait till after march when it's settled down some. Then i'll buy my PS3 and at the end of that year the Wii.
Going to split the cost with my parents since im only 16, going to put in 300 they going to put in 300 but if i get a summmer job this year ill buy it myself cause it is alot for a system but not alot when considering all the incredible specs.

Capt. Murphy
10-05-06, 06:10
Does anyone remember when the PS2 came out? They had a commercial for the PS9. :eek: Okay, it was a joke. ;) They said it could do all sorts of (impossible) neat stuff, like transmitting music to your brain or whatever.

Well the way I see it, that was Sony actually being serious. Because for you to be able to afford a PS9 when it comes out - you had to start saving your money when the PS2 was released. :cln:

Tomb of Legends
10-05-06, 06:24
I'm PS3 all the way! The Wii controlls have changed to a SNES control now. PS3 will come out on top, it has the graphics, different gaming, free online service, better games...everything! I still like the 360, but Wii is crap, they even atmited that it had the worst graphics of the total 3 XD (4 is you count new PCs!)

It will end up PS3 then either 360 or Wii, but I think Nintendo will come second....all the fans boys and girls, they make me sick how they would take a bullet for the bloody console *rolls eyes*

rsaw10
10-05-06, 06:32
Maybe it's for the rich

rsaw10
10-05-06, 06:37
Does anyone remember when the PS2 came out? They had a commercial for the PS9. :eek: Okay, it was a joke. ;) They said it could do all sorts of (impossible) neat stuff, like transmitting music to your brain or whatever.

Well the way I see it, that was Sony actually being serious. Because for you to be able to afford a PS9 when it comes out - you had to start saving your money when the PS2 was released. :cln:
AND HAVE YOU???

laras_2006
10-05-06, 07:37
It is using a blueray disc that can hold up to 50GB. this will mean bigger memory.

laras_2006
10-05-06, 07:50
I have worked out the UK prices from the US prices on Currency Converter on my yahoo.

$500=£267.2015
$600=£320.7186

Theses are more likely to change but they are just convertered from the US price.

MiCkiZ88
10-05-06, 08:15
It is using a blueray disc that can hold up to 50GB. this will mean bigger memory.
and bigger games :D
or hideo kojima can finally put every bonus thing in to the game cd :p

Lenochka
10-05-06, 12:16
I'm PS3 all the way! The Wii controlls have changed to a SNES control now. PS3 will come out on top, it has the graphics, different gaming, free online service, better games...everything! I still like the 360, but Wii is crap, they even atmited that it had the worst graphics of the total 3 XD (4 is you count new PCs!)

It will end up PS3 then either 360 or Wii, but I think Nintendo will come second....all the fans boys and girls, they make me sick how they would take a bullet for the bloody console *rolls eyes*

hate nintendo much XD
I love the way the Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! looks hehe ^^

anyways

what is the big deal? its $500 or $600. I dont have that kinda money but still its not that much. Alot of people thought it was gonna be like $700 or $800. I think with the technology there using its well worth it. I mean why is everyone acting like its $2,000?

interstellardave
10-05-06, 12:34
hate nintendo much XD
I love the way the Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! looks hehe ^^

anyways

what is the big deal? its $500 or $600. I dont have that kinda money but still its not that much. Alot of people thought it was gonna be like $700 or $800. I think with the technology there using its well worth it. I mean why is everyone acting like its $2,000?

It's because it is that much. The "technology" argument could be used with almost every console launch ever, on a relative basis. No successful launch has ever cost this much. The only truly significant technological difference between PS3 and 360 is that the PS3 uses Blue Ray... a format that they want to shove down everyone's throat--but which may not take hold in the marketplace. They're banking on it becoming the standard over HD-DVD, but what if Blue Ray--like so many Sony formats in the past--is a dead end?

Besides, the "look what you get" argument doesn't ever work in the marketplace; value compared to price does. And the price has to be low enough to appeal to a wide range of consumers. DVD players didn't start selling like hotcakes until the price was affordable to the average consumer--only then did they see how much they wanted them as opposed to VHS. DVD was at least far superior to VHS; the PS3 does not appear to be that superior to the 360--not as much as people were saying prior to E3 anyway. Not $200.00 superior.

Spitfire
10-05-06, 12:59
Your still not looking at the WHOLE picture.

Sony is known for it's games, lets face it a console is nothing without it's games. Sony has build alot of fans that were already willing to pay tons of money for the PS3. It will house some of the best game franchises known to the gaming industry.

Also don't disregard the new Online that Sony is throwing in for FREE which may not seem that big right now but over time XBOX live accumulates to alot of money. PS3 does have alot of value for it's dollar signs. They are using the Blu-ray, their cell chips, the graphics cards, the hardrives, its not like we are getting a Ps2 for that price.

PS2's price was relative to the technology back when it was made, same is being done with the PS3 which is using very expensive things, if people want Next Gen you have to accept the price for Next Gen advanced technology.

And another thing. As for the Price, i saw MANY people buying any 360 they could find at the release time and some were paying ridiculous amounts around $900-$1200. Sony could sell this thing out for $900 if they wanted at a starting price and alot of people would buy it. Remember Sony has many dedicated fans that they have earned through their amazing system and games, they are apealing to people who really want to move on to the next gen and they will definintly sell their systems without a problem for a long time in the beginning. Once a price cut comes people will buy it again and Sony will hold its own.

MiCkiZ88
10-05-06, 13:12

Sony is known for it's games, lets face it a console is nothing without it's games. Sony has build alot of fans that were already willing to pay tons of money for the PS3. It will house some of the best game franchises known to the gaming industry.

Also don't disregard the new Online that Sony is throwing in for FREE which may not seem that big right now but over time XBOX live accumulates to alot of money. PS3 does have alot of value for it's dollar signs. They are using the Blu-ray, their cell chips, the graphics cards, the hardrives, its not like we are getting a Ps2 for that price.

PS2's price was relative to the technology back when it was made, same is being done with the PS3 which is using very expensive things, if people want Next Gen you have to accept the price for Next Gen advanced technology.

And another thing. As for the Price, i saw MANY people buying any 360 they could find at the release time and some were paying ridiculous amounts around $900-$1200. Sony could sell this thing out for $900 if they wanted at a starting price and alot of people would buy it. Remember Sony has many dedicated fans that they have earned through their amazing system and games, they are apealing to people who really want to move on to the next gen and they will definintly sell their systems without a problem for a long time in the beginning. Once a price cut comes people will buy it again and Sony will hold its own.
nicely put :D here for example I found that xbox360 costed 799€ euros in some places.. and still some people bought em.. though the same boxes are still the shelves..

Lenochka
10-05-06, 13:15

wow you have a way with words :cln:
nicely put spitfire ;)

interstellardave
10-05-06, 13:18

Actually I AM looking at the whole picture... of course "hard-core" people were buying 360s at those prices--and PS3's at even higher prices probably. Those people don't make the market leader, however, and those people didn't make Sony the market leader over Nintendo back in the PS1 days. It's all the moms and dads that found the PS1 and PS2 to be desirable, and affordable enough to buy for their kids during the holidays.

"Hard core" gamers often stick with Nintendo, and the Xbox was also said to be for "hard core" gamers. It was the mainstream, "casual" gamers that made Sony #1. A high price-point and typical launch shortages combined with the fact that MS will probably drop their price and have far more games--a lot of them very good games--doesn't bode well for Sony in regards to "the whole picture". How can it? Sony may pass them eventually, but only if MS makes some big mistakes!

I also like how people always forget that Nintendo was the dominant player in videogames for more than a decade and had more powerful hardware yet they lost the battle to newcomer Sony and the PS1. Somehow people think the tables can never be turned on them as well?

Oh, one last thing: Sonys on-line network is a complete unknown right now. To say they're going to come in and do it as well as MS right off the bat is really a reach.

MiCkiZ88
10-05-06, 13:21
Actually I AM looking at the whole picture... of course "hard-core" people were buying 360s at those prices--and PS3's at even higher prices probably. Those people don't make the market leader, however, and those people didn't make Sony the market leader over Nintendo back in the PS1 days. It's all the moms and dads that found the PS1 and PS2 to be desirable, and affordable enough to buy for their kids during the holidays.

"Hard core" gamers often stick with Nintendo, and the Xbox was also said to be for "hard core" gamers. It was the mainstream, "casual" gamers that made Sony #1. A high price-point and typical launch shortages combined with the fact that MS will probably drop their price and have far more games--a lot of them very good games--doesn't bode well for Sony in regards to "the whole picture". How can it? Sony may pass them eventually, but only if MS makes some big mistakes!

I also like how people always forget that Nintendo was the dominant player in videogames for more than a decade and had more powerful hardware yet they lost the battle to newcomer Sony and the PS1. Somehow people think the tables can never be turned on them as well?

Oh, one last thing: Sonys on-line network is a complete unknown right now. To say they're going to come in and do it as well as MS right off the bat is really a reach.
a true xbox fan :ton: ( I'll defent it EVEN if it's much worser than playstation!! RAR!! ) :ton: besides from my point of view.. from my freinds.. They think sony has all the good games!! and micros*** is full of **** :ton: well what do we poor finnish people know over your mighty microsoft.. we have linus..

interstellardave
10-05-06, 13:27
a true xbox fan :ton: ( I'll defent it EVEN if it's much worser than playstation!! RAR!! ) :ton:

I'll assume you're joking due to the use of the smilies! I was a big PS1 fan and I bought the PS2 as soon as I possibly could. In fact I held out on buying an XBox for quite a long time--I really didn't want one for a long time. Still, facts are facts, and I don't see why people can't see this for what it is. To be the market leader you have to sell more units. Yes Sony has great games but truly so does MS. The difference in great game availability isn't as great as it once was. MS has some great developers working for them now. Fans are fans but when the average consumer is on the fence about it, and they see the games are about the same quality but there are more for the 360, AND the 360 is a lot cheaper... what do you think they'll do? What would you do if you didn't have any preconceptions about it all? :p

MiCkiZ88
10-05-06, 13:31
I'll assume you're joking due to the use of the smilies! I was a big PS1 fan and I bought the PS2 as soon as I possibly could. In fact I held out on buying an XBox for quite a long time--I really didn't want one for a long time. Still, facts are facts, and I don't see why people can't see this for what it is. To be the market leader you have to sell more units. Yes Sony has great games but truly so does MS. The difference in great game availability isn't as great as it once was. MS has some great developers working for them now. Fans are fans but when the average consumer is on the fence about it, and they see the games are about the same quality but there are more for the 360, AND the 360 is a lot cheaper... what do you think they'll do? What would you do if you didn't have any preconceptions about it all? :p
Yeah I was joking around :D but still.. I can't find better games on xbox that suite my taste... like metal gear solid 4, final fantasy xiii and versus xiii, tekken 6 and so on... :(

illuminati30
10-05-06, 13:33

A company should always try to appeal to a bigger market, and not rely on a previous marketing success, even more so in that it may have holes in it now.

You will always get the odd crazy person with too much money who will pay obscene amounts, although, they are in the minority, for sure!

Dingaling
10-05-06, 13:33
Seriously, in the end, the X360 will become just as expensive as a PS3. I mean, you'll pay about $150 for the HD-DVD attachment because the Xbox 360 doesn't have a built-in one. And I think the Premium package is $400? So, that's $550.

PS3 you're getting next-gen format out of the box.

One of the main reasons for the PS2's success was because it was a cheap DVD player. I wanted the games for PS2 but my mum didn't know if she should get it. As soon as she learnt it was a DVD player as well, my mum put it on top of the list! The PS3 is a cheap Blu-Ray player - whether this becomes a selling point is yet to be seen.

interstellardave
10-05-06, 13:37
Yeah I was joking around :D but still.. I can't find better games on xbox that suite my taste... like metal gear solid 4, final fantasy xiii and versus xiii, tekken 6 and so on... :(

See, I don't like final fantasy, MGS, or Tekken! Then again, I'm not a big Halo guy either. ;) PS3 will likely have God Of War 3 as well as whatever Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank games come out--those I will be excited to play. I want a PS3, certainly, and I'll have one but not near launch. I just can't justify spending that money--waiting won't hurt me (but it might hurt Sony, 'cause I'm definately not alone).

Melonie Tomb Raider
10-05-06, 13:39
I have worked out the UK prices from the US prices on Currency Converter on my yahoo.

$500=£267.2015
$600=£320.7186

Theses are more likely to change but they are just convertered from the US price.

At the Sony press conference, it was stated that for you UK peeps, the price is going to be 500 & 600 pounds. That's nearly double of what they are getting in the states. :eek:

MiCkiZ88
10-05-06, 13:39
See, I don't like final fantasy, MGS, or Tekken! Then again, I'm not a big Halo guy either. ;) PS3 will likely have God Of War 3 as well as whatever Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank games come out--those I will be excited to play. I want a PS3, certainly, and I'll have one but not near launch. I just can't justify spending that money--waiting won't hurt me (but it might hurt Sony, 'cause I'm definately not alone).
nope youre not.. :( But I gues after one year the sales are gonna grow.. after a price drop...

illuminati30
10-05-06, 13:40

I can vouch for Dave not being a MS fanboy and providing a balanced view, as someone who is a fan of all consoles. Its just the Sony fan boyness of this forum is utterly sickening lol

I dont know why people cant just look at a console, and say something good about it, rather than criticize all the time. Each console has its strong points.

MiCkiZ88
10-05-06, 13:41
At the Sony press conference, it was stated that for you UK peeps, the price is going to be 500 & 600 pounds. That's nearly double of what they are getting in the states. :eek:
whoa.. that's like.. almost 69 percent more in euros... here we get the better version for 599€ :jmp:

interstellardave
10-05-06, 13:41
Seriously, in the end, the X360 will become just as expensive as a PS3. I mean, you'll pay about $150 for the HD-DVD attachment because the Xbox 360 doesn't have a built-in one. And I think the Premium package is $400? So, that's $550.

PS3 you're getting next-gen format out of the box.

One of the main reasons for the PS2's success was because it was a cheap DVD player. I wanted the games for PS2 but my mum didn't know if she should get it. As soon as she learnt it was a DVD player as well, my mum put it on top of the list! The PS3 is a cheap Blu-Ray player - whether this becomes a selling point is yet to be seen.

The HD-DVD drive will NOT sell... console add-ons never do. DVD's will do fine, however, as no-one has ever shown how all this extra Blue-Ray space will be really used by developers. Gamers have these fantasies about super-gigantic game worlds and the like but even if someone does that it will take a correspondingly long time to make such a game, and will cost quite a bit more than your average game as a result. Just another one of those boring little "real-world" details no-one wants to think about. ;)

Dingaling
10-05-06, 13:42
That's odd Melonie because I read a UK text page everyday but they never said anything about the price being £500 or £600. Only that it would roughly be £350 or £410. Even then, we're still paying more than the US price :( If it is £500 or £600 here, I can see the sales not being as good only because £350 and £400 were pretty reasonable prices.

I'll go watch the conference again :)

tha_mattster
10-05-06, 13:42
I think you are right, it will be more expensive in the UK. Consumer goods are so cheap in the US compared with the UK. So unfair :(

illuminati30
10-05-06, 13:44

Really? **** that!

Dingaling
10-05-06, 13:46
Well, I looked for the price of a HD-DVD player - $500! And the extension for the X360 will be $150 (roughly). Because it isn't integrated with the X360, I think that may hurt sales in the long term because people won't be willing to buy it. Sony may have thought this through or they may not have :D

interstellardave
10-05-06, 13:48
I just want to go on record as saying I'm not putting down the PS3 hardware--no way. I'm sure it will be a fantastic machine! It's just that when weighing all the factors together (PS3 vrs 360 hardware, game availability, hardware availability, price, etc.) I don't see how Sony will just magically and automatically "dominate" once again! Not that I have any personal stake in this issue at all, and I probably wouldn't even post all the time about this if I didn't see so much Sony super-hype all the time, LOL! It just makes me want to present a different view. :wve:

illuminati30
10-05-06, 13:49
I think you are right, it will be more expensive in the UK. Consumer goods are so cheap in the US compared with the UK. So unfair :(

True, we always pay throw the nose! I have no idea why. DS games are £30 here, in America they are £10 - £20. Although American DS games work in the European DS. ebay anyone? :D

I payed £50 for Tomb Raider Legend, thats $93

How much was it in US?

interstellardave
10-05-06, 13:49
True, we always pay throw the nose! I have no idea why. DS games are £30 here, in America they are £10 - £20. Although American DS games work in the European DS. ebay anyone? :D

I payed £50 for Tomb Raider Legend, thats $93

How much was it in US?

It was $60.00 for the 360 version.

illuminati30
10-05-06, 13:54
It was $60.00 for the 360 version.

Now you know why i was so ****ed off about the game length lol Also the 360 premium package has less in it, and it costs more here.

Anyway, yeah UK people can expect to pay a lot more for the PS3. II paid £300 for the PS2 when it came out, and that was the most i have paid for a console, although i believe it was more like £400 when it first came out.

Melonie Tomb Raider
10-05-06, 13:55

Actually, most gamers of today are adults. Well, older teen to adults anyway. According to polls. If this is the case, then most of them won't be relying on their parents to buy the console.

Secondly, Sony has the largest fan base worldwide, not just in America. The Xbox sells really well in America, but it's not even close to as successful as the PS2 is nationwide. Additionally, in my personal opinion, Nintendo seems to be the console for casual gamers. It's cheaper and has a wider selection of multiplayer party games. I'm not sure if what you said was based on fact or statistics, but I myself would think that Sony has the largest hardcore gamer fanbase. I couldn't imagine that they'd sell the most consoles otherwise.

Also, I don't think anyone here has stated that the tables cannot be turned for Sony. Right now they are on top, and after seeing the Sony conference I think they will stay on top. This thought is due to what I have seen in all three conferences, not from "fanboyism" by any means. I was an avid fan of Nintendo far before Sony's time, and my opinions have been completely based on the hardware and games. Sony's games appeal to me more. I'm still a huge Nintendo fan, but I think that Sony is more successful for a reason.

Finally, regarding Sony's online network, I don't think anyone here has stated that Sony's online will be better than MS's. What we have said, however, is that Sony claims it will be better. Moreover, our biggest claim is that in the long run, the PS3 will actually be cheaper than the XBox 360. Over the years, Xbox Live adds up. And like Sony said, online play in gaming is as essential as the very air we breathe! Ok... maybe not to that extent, but it's very much needed anyway. :p

illuminati30
10-05-06, 13:56
It just makes me want to present a different view. :wve:

And for that i thank god. I think many people just like to follow the crowd or something........

Melonie Tomb Raider
10-05-06, 13:57
That's odd Melonie because I read a UK text page everyday but they never said anything about the price being £500 or £600. Only that it would roughly be £350 or £410. Even then, we're still paying more than the US price :( If it is £500 or £600 here, I can see the sales not being as good only because £350 and £400 were pretty reasonable prices.

I'll go watch the conference again :)

Well I could be wrong, this is just what I thought I heard anyway. I at least hope I'm wrong.

interstellardave
10-05-06, 14:13
:cool: Every system has "hard core" gamers but surely "hard core" anything is a minority. The majority are casual gamers--guys who play only Madden, for instance, or who just want to play games without a preference to any particular series. Sony is sucessful because they have had more games, period. This is undeniable. People say "if I can only have one console I'm buying the one that gives me the most games". It will take a while for this to happen this time around--if ever. MS has no huge 3rd party support "holes" this time around, because they've proven to be successful players in the industry. Additionally, Sony was always first off the mark in the past, not so this time.

As for markets, MS will always lose Japan but Japan as a gaming market has been shrinking. Sony has always done well with JRPG's for instance, but the market has been moving more towards Western RPG's of late--and MS consoles have featured these (Fable, Elder Scrolls, KOTR). Besides, I don't live in Japan--hardly anyone on this forum does! The battleground for our money is in the US, the UK, Europe and the rest of the world. Japan is a lost cause for MS, point given freely.

Oh, and whether most gamers are adults or not, it is adults who pay for these systems, and $500.00/$600.00 vrs $300.00/$400.00 is still a big deal to most people! Whether it fits your personal situation or not, this point--even if no other points I've made are accepted--should be seen as reasonable!

illuminati30
10-05-06, 14:37
I just found this:

Sony faces tough fight to remain king of the home console

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4756691.stm

YvesSL
10-05-06, 14:47
It's not so expensive.

Lenochka
10-05-06, 14:55
It's not so expensive.

exactly think about what the rumoured prices were $800 this is around 5/6 hundred alooooot cheaper than the estimated price...