PDA

View Full Version : Will sony EVER get bankcrupt???

rsaw10
10-05-06, 06:41
I've said my qestion and I think yes in about 3-4 years time.
Plz can any of you say your says about this below????

MiCkiZ88
10-05-06, 08:16
nope.. sony is not only for playstation you know ;)

wonderboy
10-05-06, 08:32
Actually they filed for bankrucy protection last year... PS2 was the only thing keeping them out of the red.

MiCkiZ88
10-05-06, 08:33
Actually they filed for bankrucy protection last year... PS2 was the only thing keeping them out of the red.
ps3 is costing em much.. eh ;) that's why I'm wondering why it's so ''cheap'' considering the hardware

Hypnosos
10-05-06, 08:38
Actually they filed for bankrucy protection last year... PS2 was the only thing keeping them out of the red.... which is going to be pulled off the shelfs soon. If PS3 fails, they can file for bankruptcy. But I don't think it will.

MiCkiZ88
10-05-06, 08:41
I think ps3 is gonna sell much.. especially in japan.. remember ps2 arrival :D It was newscasted even in here how many people waited for their own ps2 :D

Punaxe
10-05-06, 09:13
According to Wikipedia, Sony has a revenue of 71.216 billion US dollars, which doesn't sound like much of a bankruptcy to me :D Though I know hardly a thing about economics...
Also, they've recently bought Konica Minolta's digital camera technologies, and I have never even heard of a rival to Dolby Laboratories...

tha_mattster
10-05-06, 09:22
I never knew they filed for bankruptcy! Are you sure? Sony's products are very good. I have sony tv, radio, ps1, ps2 etc.

wonderboy
10-05-06, 09:24
When a corporation files for bankrupcy protection it may just be for one part of the company. PS3 is taking a HUGE loss with even a 700$ price tag but they are hoping to make it back in software. Xbox360 did this very successfully.

MiCkiZ88
10-05-06, 09:26
When a corporation files for bankrupcy protection it may just be for one part of the company. PS3 is taking a HUGE loss with even a 700$ price tag but they are hoping to make it back in software. Xbox360 did this very successfully.
yup.. ps3 would cost alot more than just 599€ for the better version.. just think about it.. would it cst more than 5000€ per unit :confused:

tha_mattster
10-05-06, 09:27
I would never buy an X box. I would be too afraid of an alien crawling out of it. :(

wonderboy
10-05-06, 09:28
nah, it costs about 900 and something $ to produce... but there will be a huge price drop when bluray players are released.

Cochrane
10-05-06, 09:29
I don't think they'll go bancrupt, but it is likely that they'll get into trouble. Apple's pushed them pretty much out of the high-margin portable music player market, and in the console business they're facing direct competition from Microsoft, which is hardly ever a good thing. They've put an enormous amount of money in PS3 development, but although it has nice specs, it's success is very far from guaranteed, especially in the long term.

MiCkiZ88
10-05-06, 09:29
nah, it costs about 900 and something $ to produce... but there will be a huge price drop when bluray players are released.
yup.. Just considered that here a pc with 8 processors is pretty hard to come by :D

wonderboy
10-05-06, 09:30
Agreed! They're taking a HUGE risk and they are issuing SO many press releases trying to reassure their investors. Pushing back the release date 3 times doesn't help. :-S

rsaw10
11-05-06, 06:22
Agreed! They're taking a HUGE risk and they are issuing SO many press releases trying to reassure their investors. Pushing back the release date 3 times doesn't help. :-S
Well wonderboy,your thinking what they are not.If they ever do get bankcrupt,there are some posserbillitys

Draco
11-05-06, 06:47
We can only hope Sony falls into oblivion.

Zip
11-05-06, 07:31
Ahhh come on they aint that bad they gave us some of the best games,they wont even feel the loss from selling PS3's at a loss

If they do may they R.I.P

Draco
11-05-06, 07:35
SOE is one of the worst companies in business atm.

shockwave_pulsar00
11-05-06, 10:34
We can only hope Sony falls into oblivion.

NO!! I want my Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Fatal Frame 4, Silent Hill 5, Tomb Raider 8, and Resident Evil 5! I am aware that some of these games are multiconsole, but I want them on the PS3. For some reason, Sony's system always get the type of games I like. I mean, look at most of the games coming out for the 360 they are all pretty much FPS games.

Spitfire
11-05-06, 10:41
When it comes to Sony there are a few things that come to mind.

Sony own's it's own factories, that means making the systems is alot cheaper than normal, but still way more expensive than we are paying, probably around $1000 for them to make each one. But what about them loosing profit you...

Sony believe in Software and the long range in their Products cycle. They feel since they own all the media for the product that they will gain all their losses back and profit through their games, movies, Blu-ray players, bla bla bla.

MiCkiZ88
11-05-06, 11:43

Sony own's it's own factories, that means making the systems is alot cheaper than normal, but still way more expensive than we are paying, probably around $1000 for them to make each one. But what about them loosing profit you...

Sony believe in Software and the long range in their Products cycle. They feel since they own all the media for the product that they will gain all their losses back and profit through their games, movies, Blu-ray players, bla bla bla.
nicely put down..

interstellardave
11-05-06, 11:45
I mean, look at most of the games coming out for the 360 they are all pretty much FPS games.

Then you're not looking very hard...

t-unit
11-05-06, 11:45
NO!! I want my Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Fatal Frame 4, Silent Hill 5, Tomb Raider 8, and Resident Evil 5! I am aware that some of these games are multiconsole, but I want them on the PS3. For some reason, Sony's system always get the type of games I like. I mean, look at most of the games coming out for the 360 they are all pretty much FPS games.

That's not a big problem if Sony goes bancruptcy, game developers will turn to other console platforms then.

Shark_Blade
11-05-06, 11:56
it's possible for any company. It all depends on many factors. Dreamcast for example is a very good console and it outperform PS1 and nintendo 64 at that time. But then they go down the drain:( I don't know why, probably because of many price-cuts but the promotion that they've done was considerably good. I miss Sonic Adventure 2. Hope it'll come out on PC just like Sonic Adventure DX.

Catapharact
11-05-06, 12:02

Not only that but they don't just control one segment of the market. Already PSP has out shined DS is every aspect (will it change with the introduction of DS lite? Who knows but not every likely.)

They also have iron clad contracts with many hot game makers like Namco (makers of Soul Calibur series.) Their stuff it hot. VERY hot!

So it will be darn near impossible to budge sony out of the gaming market anytime soon...

interstellardave
11-05-06, 12:11
Already PSP has out shined DS is every aspect (will it change with the introduction of DS lite? Who knows but not every likely.)

Unless things have changed dramatically over the last month or so it hasn't come close to outshining the DS in one very critical area--sales. I own a PSP and I like it but it's certainly not close to being a "hand-held PS2" like it was being touted as. I don't have a DS but it seems to have the games and the proper price-point to still be dominating PSP in sales. (Just from what I keep hearing, I don't have figures on hand).

Catapharact
11-05-06, 12:24
The Irony of it... PSP has shown great market potential only to be out done by DS little Pen Scripting ability. However, it still has a strong hold on the market which was once thought to be only Nintendo's domain.

Wonder if Microsoft been looking closely at this...

Spitfire
11-05-06, 12:54
Technology wise, PSP is far far superior than DS. I already own a few games that i am in love with on my PSP and so many better ones are on their way, once Legend is on PSP, i won't be able ton concentrate in school :D

interstellardave
11-05-06, 13:02
Technology wise, PSP is far far superior than DS. I already own a few games that i am in love with on my PSP and so many better ones are on their way, once Legend is on PSP, i won't be able ton concentrate in school :D

It's so very superior technology-wise, I agree! It's like Stormtroopers vrs Ewoks or something... oh... oops... :o :cln:

Spitfire
11-05-06, 13:05
It's so very superior technology-wise, I agree! It's like Stormtroopers vrs Ewoks or something... oh... oops... :o :cln:

lol, plus i bought a new 2GB mem card, i love watching little movies on it, recently put the Gears of War, FFXIII, Heavenly Sword trailers and gameplay on it to show friends who don't know much about e3, it's SO handy :D

interstellardave
11-05-06, 14:19
lol, plus i bought a new 2GB mem card, i love watching little movies on it, recently put the Gears of War, FFXIII, Heavenly Sword trailers and gameplay on it to show friends who don't know much about e3, it's SO handy :D

LOL, and the Gears Of War trailer didn't make the PSP explode?!

(Star Trek style computer voice): "Error. Error. Can not compute. Alien video detected..." :cln:

Lara Croft!
11-05-06, 15:12
Hmmmm...will Sony ever get bankrupt????
Will I ever marry Kiefer Sutherland??????
I don't think that both are probable,but never say never!!!!

JamesFKirk
11-05-06, 15:16
Well, there's a chance. But it would have to be an affair of Enron size.

Melonie Tomb Raider
11-05-06, 15:37
Highly unlikely to say the least.