PDA

View Full Version : Should I be concerned?

larasfrend
10-05-06, 18:02
I was listening to an audio sample of something on amazon. It made me download something called hurl.exe
I opened it without thinking. It opened a dos window, the computer started beeping and then stated that it performed something illegal.
I immediately discarded the file.

I'm scared I may have downloaded a virus or something like that. What should I do?

Titanium
10-05-06, 18:05
Scan with your Anti-virus and Anti-spyware programs :)

Except I dont think the program would of come from Amazon.

Legend of Lara
10-05-06, 18:07
Delete it. Viruses are awful and this shouldn't be important.

larasfrend
10-05-06, 18:08
Do you mean you don't think amazon would have it on their site? I thought that too, but it was a dos thing, not a realplayer file... I know I shouldn't have opened it, I just wasn't thinking...

Titanium
10-05-06, 18:08
And I just found out that Hurl.exe comes from Realplayer. I think you might of accidently clicked on a link linking to Realplayer.

Legend of Lara
10-05-06, 18:11
Hurl.exe? Sounds nasty...

Titanium
10-05-06, 18:11
Aha heres some information about it.

http://www.techimo.com/forum/t114570.html

Legend of Lara
10-05-06, 18:14
I don't see anything about hurl.exe than the title!:confused:

Lara Lover
10-05-06, 18:16
Hurl.exe is a file associated with LoudEye.com. LoudEye works with Real to encode and deliver streaming medial over the internet.

Seems pretty inoffensive to me, I couldn't find anything on the net bad about them.
Taken from that site Titanium linked too.

:tmb:

larasfrend
10-05-06, 18:20
Thanks, that thread is definately relevant. I'm still suspicious. I have a feeling it's hidden somewhere and it has NO RIGHT to be on my computer.
Ugh! I'm scanning now, but it'll take ages to completely scan my harddrive. Should I use spybot as well?

Legend of Lara
10-05-06, 18:20
I better launch an investigation about this "LoudEye".:pi:

larasfrend
10-05-06, 18:27
That's really kind of you Legend of Lara, but please don't go to any trouble. I don't want you to waste time on my behalf.