PDA

View Full Version : Da Vinci ... disappoints

Lenochka
18-05-06, 23:46
Not sure if this has been posted but i just seen this on " the Feed " off Attack of the show and found this article...

G4tv.com article:

" Da Vinci Stinks Up Cannes
Wednesday, May 17, 2006 9:26 AM

Apparently, The Da Vinci Code sucks. That's the word from Cannes, where audiences laughed at the climax to the film, and sat silently as the credits rolled. Uh oh. Looks like we might be three for three in summer movie flops, after the relatively unimpressive debuts of MI:3 and Poseidon.

The Da Vinci Code, directed by Ron Howard and starring Tom Hanks, is described as grim and dour, and very boring. The book on which it was based was apparently much of the same, but for some reason, reading it made stupid people feel like they had something to talk about. "

Link to page: ( on page is a link to a 3 page review )

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/TheFeed/post/595118/Da_Vinci_Stinks_Up_Cannes.html

Just thought i should say : /
Sorry if this has already been posted...

xMiSsCrOfTx
18-05-06, 23:53
Just saw a similar article on AOL news. That really sucks, I was anticipating this to be an awesome movie. Oh well, I'm usually the one to say "I won't judge until I see for myself", so I'm still seeing it!

Thanks for the article. :wve:

Legend of Lara
18-05-06, 23:53
So it sucks more than the nude versions of Mona Lisa? (Bad and unrealistic)

DREWY
19-05-06, 01:07
Well I've seen it. For once Australia had something first :yah:
Its not the worst film I've seen, and I don't want to give spoilers, but its not as bad as what those reviews say. Doesn't explain some parts well but overall I'd give it 7.5 /10 I suppose? I should say here I hadn't read the book, so my mind was open. I may have liked it more but I lost /dropped $50.00 in the lobby :cen: which changed my mood.
Overall worth the money IMO
(what is with Tom Hanks hair?) :eek:

MiCkiZ88
19-05-06, 04:50
ok was that from the article ''stupid people'' ? in case it was.. because I dont have the time to read it.. It's a typical.. I'm soo good you stupid people aint comment.... :hea: :cen: I liked the book

Capt. Murphy
19-05-06, 13:56
On my way into work last night I caught Bill O'Reilly on the Radio Factor and he was talking about this. He said Ron Howard had Tom Hanks more religious, saying stuff like (the things that Christians are not happy about -I'll spare you the details) "...aren't that important" or "...don't matter". And I also read in the USAToday that Tom's character was more religious than his 'book' character which was more 'scientific/scholalry'. (scholalry-sp?) :confused:

Bill also said that Ron did a good job 'softening' what would have been more offensive to Christians. I guess. :-/

Legend of Lara
19-05-06, 13:58
I'd rather want to see MI: 3

Catapharact
19-05-06, 14:01
The hype overdid the movie IMO (No I ahven't seen it;) From the reviews its getting though, I think people more expected a specticle rather than a translation. As I said, people just got too sucked into the hype. Overall, the plot is empty; VERY empty. Just a carbon copy of sooo many books before it.

ianneganda
19-05-06, 14:05
i've seen the movie. in my opinion the movie is good, movie-wise. I mean, of course there's a difference between the movie and a book, you can't put all what happened in the book in 2 and half hours of movie. and besides it's only "based" on the book so the director changed a bit, but it's good and great though.

Legend of Lara
19-05-06, 14:20
I'll eat my computer if it's worse than the first Harry Potter film.

Capt. Murphy
19-05-06, 14:25
I'll eat my computer if it's worse than the first Harry Potter film.By "worse" do you mean the evilness of it? As in - 'Not for/against Christians'? Or "worse" as in just a bad/boring movie? :D

Paperdoll
19-05-06, 14:28
I'll eat my computer if it's worse than the first Harry Potter film.

:vlol:

Haven't watched the movie or read the book, so I really can't comment on it. But it was probably like Catapharact said, over hype.

Legend of Lara
19-05-06, 14:28
By "worse" do you mean the evilness of it? As in - 'Not for/against Christians'? Or "worse" as in just a bad/boring movie? :D

Worse as in bad/boring movies.

Volcano
19-05-06, 16:30
LOL!
My friends says its a good film!
Mabey he lied...ill have to see it although my mother said the book was really boring and slow... i wonder if the film is.:confused:

Cochrane
19-05-06, 16:59
I've yet to see the movie, but I strongly disagree about the book. I liked the book and I think it is quite a nice book. That being said, I still would have preferred if they had made a movie out of the first one, "Saints & Demons" (if I recall correctly, german title was "Sakrileg"), which was much better.

Anubis_AF
20-05-06, 16:29
I don't care what they say :vlol: It's one of the best movies IMO :tmb:

Rivendell
20-05-06, 16:43
I'd really like to know why it was laughed at towards the end!

LiquidKal
20-05-06, 16:48
I saw this tonight, and it was definitely overhyped.

I haven't read the book, but I found the movie ok. Not great, but not bad. I also thought the ending was quite predictable. I spotted it coming less than a 3rd of the way into the movie.

My verdict is that it was worth seeing, but I won't see it again, or bother getting the DVD.

Punaxe
20-05-06, 16:49
I'll probably see it once...
Even if it was just for Tom Hanks and Jean Reno :) Good actors.

Rivendell
20-05-06, 16:53
Ian Mckellen was definitely the star of the film I think! :D

Punaxe
20-05-06, 16:53
Ah yes, I forgot to mention him. He's great, too :)

Sharyl_karloty
20-05-06, 17:22
The movie is good. Not as exciting as the book, but a good movie none the less. There have been so many debates on the movie and the book itself but all the hype aside, the movie is worth watching as it has been well directed. Besides Tom Hanks, Ian McKellen, Jean Reno, Audrey Tautou, Alfred Molina and Paul Bettany acted very well. Don't let all the negative reviews stop you from watching the movie. Go watch it and decide for yourself if it is good or not.

Lost Angel 21
20-05-06, 18:06
I've yet to see the movie, but I strongly disagree about the book. I liked the book and I think it is quite a nice book. That being said, I still would have preferred if they had made a movie out of the first one, "Saints & Demons" (if I recall correctly, german title was "Sakrileg"), which was much better.

It's "Angels and Demons"

I loved the movie, saw it right after school; I was talking about it all day. I didn't even finish the book before going, but now I'm starting all over. It is a bit controversial, when you look at it. I think I'll save my money and buy it when it comes out on DVD. I didn't like how they did Silas' ending though.....so different from the book...but I loved it none the less.