PDA

View Full Version : emulatorz

peffect
19-05-06, 07:43
hi guys:) ! i wanna ask if you you heard about a working ps2 emulator somewhere,cos i downloaded one yesterday(www.fulldls.com) it's a torrent by the way,but haven't tried it yet(i'm waiting for my daddy's pc cos it has a dvd-rom reader),till then i wanna know if it's gonna work and also ask about any game cube or psp or any other recent console emulatorz(working ones)???:confused:
ps: sorry for the"tomb raider for gay"thread,i didn't expect it's gonna go that far

Night Crawler
19-05-06, 07:48
Emulators are illegal, I'd remove that link if I were you...

(Or is it just the roms that are illegal? I forget)

Cochrane
19-05-06, 11:07
As far as I know, emulators are not illegal. The only PS2 emulator I'm aware of is not working well with most games and requires a very fast computer to use. You will find a list of emulators for all kind of gaming consoles on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emulators#Home_video_game_consoles

Paperdoll
19-05-06, 12:45
They're illegal if you don't own the games or the console. I use emulators for my old Master System that eventually broke and for my GBA that's at my brother's place. But that's usually as far as I go.

Spitfire
19-05-06, 13:22
I think emulators are perfect and fair for consoles that aren't that popular, aren't sold anymore or are small things u cant get like old GBA color or something they don't sell games for anymore...
But a PS2 emulator...i don't think thats very legal, I think u need to cought up $120 and just buy the console.

Capt. Murphy
19-05-06, 13:43
Emulators are perfectly Legal. Well, some are DERIVATIVES of copyrighted Emulators for the purpose of more speed or allowing hacks to be played, etc. I believe there's more to it than that... Those kind are supposed to be Illegal.

Sometimes for Emulators you would need something called the BIOs. Like for an Emu that emulates Sega Genesis/Mega Drive games... You can have the emulator -that's fine. But to play the Genesis/MD Games/Roms you need to have the system Bios (and sometimes a particular region i.e. U.S. Japan, Europe, etc.).

So if you don't actually have a PS2, then playing the PS2 games (rom images or actual DVD Discs) you are breaking the law. :pi:

Legend of Lara
19-05-06, 14:04
The MD and SNES emulators for PSP aren't legal.

JamesFKirk
19-05-06, 16:16
So far, as knowledge goes, no emulator has been proven illegal. There's nowhere said that it's only PSX/2/3 where you are allowed to play PSX games. In fact, trying to do so would by a monopoly attempt crime. It's like saying that you can play PC games only on PC with Windows. Why, DirectX has been developed only for Windows, now tell me - is gaming under Wine illegal? I don't think so. Restricting a game to be functional only on some particular hardware is. If you are capable of creating a PSX emulator for PC, there is no trouble about it. As long as you buy the games, that is.
After all, it's the games that make Sony the most profit, not the console sale itself.

Punaxe
19-05-06, 16:18
Sounds fair enough :)

peffect
20-05-06, 07:43
ladies and gentlmen,put in your mind that i've a gba emulator and a psx emulator and i can play all the playstation games,all (if not,how could i play the first silent hill,the first tomb raider game and the crash team racing game and the harry potter gba version cos the playstation one doesn't please at all)
so i don't understand what's the illegality you're talking about
and i bet you that the ps2 emulator i brought will work!:ton:

Cochrane
20-05-06, 09:26
There is intellectual property in a console that will have to be recreated to make an emulator, for example the PlayStation 2 uses a CPU that was created only for Sony and never used anywhere else. An emulator will have to emulate its instruction set and whatever low-level libraries the console has. As long as they are not using any actual Sony code (whether compiled or not does not matter), but only the interfaces, I think it is legal, but I'm not sure about this.

LiquidKal
20-05-06, 15:03
ladies and gentlmen,put in your mind that i've a gba emulator and a psx emulator and i can play all the playstation games,all (if not,how could i play the first silent hill,the first tomb raider game and the crash team racing game and the harry potter gba version cos the playstation one doesn't please at all)
and i bet you that the ps2 emulator i brought will work!:ton:

Just because you have gba and ps1 games and emulate them doesn't mean it isn't illegal. However it's only illegal if the games aren't original.

People steal from stores constantly, but it doesn't change the illegality. I dont mean to offend, but that seems like a fairly ignorant thing to say, I don't think you fully thought it out.

BTW, I bet you that the ps2 emulator you bought won't work. PS2 emulation simply hasn't progressed far enough to play commercial games. And if you did actually buy this emulator, then you were ripped off because you bought something that's free. Have a nice day :)

Capt. Murphy
20-05-06, 15:39
...if you did actually buy this emulator, then you were ripped off because you bought something that's free. Have a nice day :) :vlol:

No, no. It was probably a package deal. Buy the Emulator and get thousands of roms FREE -all for $19.95. :D

LiquidKal
20-05-06, 15:46
:vlol:

No, no. It was probably a package deal. Buy the Emulator and get thousands of roms FREE -all for $19.95. :D

LMFAO! :vlol:

Sounds like a great deal, and best of all, its completely legal! where can i sign up? [/sarcasm] :p