PDA

View Full Version : Question about Movie Maker

ELEN
19-05-06, 23:56
I have a question about Windows Movie Maker. I want a word to be displayed during the clip. WMM adds a word (or whatever) on the clip from "Title and Credits" option, but it places the word in the middle of the clip (which is annoying) and it doesn't last for more than 2 seconds. Is there a way to place the word in the bottom corner (left or right) and make it appear during all clip?

Betal
20-05-06, 00:21
I don't know exactly what you mean. But you can change the time. But I don't know what you mean (I'm not so good on english)

Shark_Blade
20-05-06, 00:26
On the bottom of the application, there's a timeline. When you inserted the text it will appear in a small box under there. Stretch it to your desired time and that's all. :)

Shark_Blade
20-05-06, 00:28
oh, bottom corner?
you mean like a subtitle?

ELEN
20-05-06, 00:43
Nice tip Shark. I didn't notice this one!

But yeah, I want it to be at the bottom (not necessarily in the corner). The subtitle option, though, doesn't put the word at the bottom. It's between the bottom and the middle. You see?

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/elen_gr/elen_0001.jpg

tombfan91
20-05-06, 03:37
oooo ummm if you would just give me a few minutes. i have done this before i know somewhere i'll get back to you on this in a few.

tombfan91
20-05-06, 03:47
did you want something like this ?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HAqgxkj5HRg

Punaxe
20-05-06, 14:08
Windows Movie Maker, as far as I know, only allows you to do very limited things - namely the things provided. I tried overlaying the video with a transparent .gif containing text, but it doesn't work - you can only have one image or video at the time. As for text, seems like you'll have to do with what the credits and titles allow you to... :(
I would strongly recommend Adobe Premiere if you like making movie clips.

ELEN
20-05-06, 15:43
did you want something like this ?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HAqgxkj5HRg

I need the word to be where the purple letters appear if possible.

Punaxe, I know that Movie Maker is limited. I want to make one simple thing once. I don't need Premiere in general.

Jacob x5
20-05-06, 16:37
I don't know a lot about Windows Movie Maker. Is it a bit like how some videos have the website they came from in the corner? Are you planning on making the word slightly transparent? I think that would look good and make the video easier to view. ;) :p

I'm sure it is possible with a bit of experimentation. Remember: it's Windows. Windows is Microsoft. Microsoft makes every simple thing extremely diffictult. :p

Paul H
20-05-06, 17:12
There are numerous ways to do that but I don't know if it is possible in Windows Movie Maker because I haven't used that.

VirtualDub is a superb video program and you can download that free from lots of places on the web. In some ways it is actually better than Adobe Premiere.

The way I always put logos etc onto videos is very unusual (I might even be the only person who does it this way) but it gives great results. First I make the video without the logo. Then I convert each frame into a numbered bitmap pic (using either TMPGEnc (which is free) or Premiere), and they all go into a folder. Then, using one of the bitmap pics in Adobe Photoshop, I record an action (i.e. macro) of the text logo being put onto the picture. Then I apply that action to all the pictures (frames) in the folder - which is now done automatically with just a few clicks. Finally, I import all the pics into a video program (usually VirtualDub) and remake the video from them, with the logo now in place.

There are easier ways but I find that one to be the best and most flexible because you can put anything you wish anywhere on the video.

If you wish, I could do that for you if you are able to upload your video to the web.

Tonttu
20-05-06, 19:22
VirtualDub is a superb video program and you can download that free from lots of places on the web. In some ways it is actually better than Adobe Premiere.

VirtualDub is probably the best open source video editor

The way I always put logos etc onto videos is very unusual (I might even be the only person who does it this way) but it gives great results. First I make the video without the logo. Then I convert each frame into a numbered bitmap pic (using either TMPGEnc (which is free) or Premiere), and they all go into a folder. Then, using one of the bitmap pics in Adobe Photoshop, I record
an action (i.e. macro) of the text logo being put onto the picture. Then I apply that action to all the pictures (frames) in the folder - which is now done automatically with just a few clicks. Finally, I import all the pics into a video program (usually VirtualDub) and remake the video from them, with the logo now in place.

That's kind of weird way to do it

There are easier ways but I find that one to be the best and most flexible because you can put anything you wish anywhere on the video.

In my opinion that's anything but flexible way to do it. There is a lot easier way of doing it.

What you need is:
VirtualDub (open source video editor)
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/virtualdub/VirtualDub-1.6.14.zip?download

AviSynth
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/avisynth2/Avisynth_256.exe?download

AviSynth is a powerful tool for video post-production. It provides almost unlimited ways of editing and processing videos. AviSynth works as a frameserver, providing instant editing without the need for temporary files.

AviSynth itself does not provide a graphical user interface (GUI) but instead relies on a script system that allows advanced non-linear editing. While this may at first seem tedious and unintuitive, it is remarkably powerful and is a very good way to manage projects in a precise, consistent, and reproducible manner. Because text-based scripts are human readable, projects are inherently self-documenting. The scripting language is simple yet powerful, and complex filters can be created from basic operations to develop a sophisticated palette of useful and unique effects.

After installing the programs copy this code to notepad and save it with .avs extension
All lines with # in the beginning are comments
#AviSynth script for adding subtitle for your video

#Load the video file
AVISource("C:\video.avi") #change this to point to your video file
#If VirtualDub gives you an error change AVISource to DirectShowSource

#Add subtitle
Subtitle("Your subtitle here", font="georgia", size=24, text_color=$ff0000, align=2, first_frame=0, last_frame=1000)

#align values for subtitle:

# value --- subtitle position
#
# 1 --- left on bottom
# 2 --- middle on bottom
# 3 --- right on bottom
# 4 --- left on center
# 5 --- middle on center
# 6 --- right on center
# 7 --- left on top
# 8 --- middle on top
# 9 --- right on top

#If you want the subtitle to last for the entire video
#then remove ", first_frame=0, last_frame=1000"
#If you want the subtitle start from lets say frame 5000 and last
#to end of your video that has 10000 frames, you need to use
#first_frame=1000, last_frame=9999

Open the script in VirtualDub
Now you can preview the video and do some editing if you wish
Then go to Video and check that Full processing mode is enabled. Then go to Audio and check that Source Audio is selected.
Go to Video --> Compression and choose codec you wish to use to compress it and set the compression settings
Go to File --> Save as AVI
Finally wait for VirtualDub to compress the file.

ELEN
22-05-06, 09:11
Thank you very much Paul and Tonttu (welcome to the forum :wve: ). I'll try your suggestions :tmb: (in fact right now) Thanks again!

I take it that VirtualDub and AviSynth are two different programs that edit videos. I mean that AviSynth is not something that VirtualDub needs, right?

*edit: I guess not. I just installed both. I have no idea what to do with AviSynth. LOL! Ok, I need to do some reading. I'll get back if I have problems.

Paul H
22-05-06, 11:07
With VirtualDub it is a good idea to also install the extra filters that are available. You get some with the standard installation but there are some very good third party ones that I think are essential.

There is a link to various filters and some subtitle filters (lower down the page) on this page:

http://www.virtualdub.org/virtualdub_filters

You don't have to use VirtualDub with Avisynth. I used to use Avisynth before it was possible to edit MPEG 2 files in VirtualDub, but then a program called VirtualDub Mod came out which is the same as VirtualDub but with MPEG 2 support, so I never use Avisynth now.

ImpoSSibleL
22-05-06, 12:55
Nice tip Shark. I didn't notice this one!

But yeah, I want it to be at the bottom (not necessarily in the corner). The subtitle option, though, doesn't put the word at the bottom. It's between the bottom and the middle. You see?

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/elen_gr/elen_0001.jpg
Wait a sec...this programe isnt only from camera?

Tonttu
22-05-06, 14:25
Thank you very much Paul and Tonttu (welcome to the forum :wve: ). I'll try your suggestions :tmb: (in fact right now) Thanks again!

I take it that VirtualDub and AviSynth are two different programs that edit videos. I mean that AviSynth is not something that VirtualDub needs, right?

*edit: I guess not. I just installed both. I have no idea what to do with AviSynth. LOL! Ok, I need to do some reading. I'll get back if I have problems.
AviSynth is a frame server controlled with simple scripts, you can learn more about it in http://www.avisynth.org/
When you open the AviSynth script from my previous post in VirtualDub the script tells AviSynth to open C:\video.avi for frame serving and add subtitle to the frames.