PDA

View Full Version : Coincidence or no Coincidence?

GodOfLight
20-05-06, 11:23
so what do you think? do you believe in coincidences or no coincidences?

i don't believe in coincidences, but i also don't believe in fate. may seem paradoxical and contradictory, but it works for me :p

what do you guys think?

Jacob x5
20-05-06, 11:25
Of course coincidences exist. Two very similar events can happen at the same time. It is technically possible.

L.C
20-05-06, 11:25
I also believe in fate, which seems to be disguised as coincidences, if that make sense to anybody.

Ampersand
20-05-06, 11:29
I think there are such things are coincidences, yes. I can't be bothered with them really. :D

(Not so sure about believing in fate, destiny and all that though... :p)

Catlantean
20-05-06, 11:33
I don't like the idea of fate personally. I'd rather believe in chance, randomness, nothing at all, than that all that happens to us is predetermined and completely beyond our influence. Being a string puppet in the hands of fate, it's a scary thought.

So, coincidence for me :)

Volcano
20-05-06, 11:39
Yes, i do beleive in coinsidences.

RAID
20-05-06, 11:41
I don't believe in coinsidences. I believe that everything happens for a reason... Although sometimes, stuff that happen doesn't make any sense and we ask ourselves, "what kind of reason could there be for this?"

L.C
20-05-06, 11:48
Over the years, it's amazing how many of those reasons will get answered. You just have to give it time ;)

RAID
20-05-06, 11:54
Over the years, it's amazing how many of those reasons will get answered. You just have to give it time ;)
yes I agree :tmb:

Kamrusepas
20-05-06, 11:58
Some things seem too weird to be just a coincidence, but as I don't believe in fate, I don't believe that there's anything bigger behind some weird happenings :p

So, coincidence for me :D

Punaxe
20-05-06, 13:42
I don't like the idea of fate personally. I'd rather believe in chance, randomness, nothing at all, than that all that happens to us is predetermined and completely beyond our influence. Being a string puppet in the hands of fate, it's a scary thought.

Yup, agreed.
I'm a rational man :)

xMiSsCrOfTx
20-05-06, 13:53
I do believe in coincidences.

CuteKittenlol
20-05-06, 13:56

What cat said lol :D

Reggie
20-05-06, 18:50
In some cases Fate and destiny is indeed just a romantic notion in most cases it isn't. I don't believe in coincidences either.

sweetPoison
20-05-06, 18:53

I am guessing you believe in Existentialism then!!:D

GodOfLight
20-05-06, 18:59
after a while i notice that everything does seem to be big chain of events strung together though ;)

Janny
20-05-06, 19:00
I don't believe in coincidences. Everything happens for a reason ... I hope anyway :)

Forwen
20-05-06, 19:39
Of course everything happens for a reason. Pick up your physics book and find out.

As for the more romantic idea of "everything happens for a reason", it also has its prosaic reasons. It's a yet another tool - along with religions - of pretending that one has a control over one's life, or at least making the life easier to understand. Giving it a deeper meaning. And the notion of fate is born when the abovementioned idea fails. It's a way of convincing oneself that one's failures either were unavoidable (and thus, reducing the sense of guilt or bitterness), have a deeper meaning or will pay off in some metaphysical future. Simple as that.

MiCkiZ88
20-05-06, 19:47
I beliave in fate... :p

mau3genius
20-05-06, 20:41
I think everything happens for a reason.
So no coincidence for now

Lara's Boy
20-05-06, 21:12
Nope, I don't believe in coincidence :wve:

ILG49ers
20-05-06, 22:29
I think everything happens for a reason, so I don't believe in coincidences.

LegenDarY
20-05-06, 22:40
i don't believe in coincidences, i believe that everything in your life happens for a reason.. though the reason may often be unclear at that moment, it still happens for a reason..

and i also don't believe in fate.. though everything may happen for a reason.. i still don't think everything is predestined

CerebralAssassin
21-05-06, 00:49
I beleive in deterministic processes,whoever doesn't know what that means, look it up in a dictionary :D

Mona Sax
21-05-06, 15:59
I believe that everything that ever happens is just a coincidence. However, positive changes are favored by nature (> evolution).

Cochrane
21-05-06, 16:36
Everything has a cause in terms of physics, except for quantum physics which are just horrible. In my opinion, that doesn't make coincidences impossible at all. Two things can easily go their way, no matter whether it is predetermined or not, and interact at one point giving unexpected results. Not believing in coincidence assumes that an awful lot of detail has been exactly programmed, including all the interactions of events, and I cannot believe that.

So I believe in coincidence and not in fate or destiny.

Geck-o-Lizard
21-05-06, 17:54
Course there's such a thing as coincidence. I used to believe in fate, but there is no fate or predestination, we make our own paths; coincidences are not only possible but frequent.