PDA

View Full Version : Which Game Do You Think Has the Best Music?

Mad Tony
20-05-06, 13:06
I know this is Tomb Raider in general but there isn't really anywhere else to put it.

Which Tomb Raider game do you think has the best music in it. e.g. tomb raider Chronicles

TheLostValley
20-05-06, 13:30
TRL

Troels Folmann hit the spot

CuteKittenlol
20-05-06, 13:42
TR1 4ever :D
Especially the danger music (the great pyramid) whooo

Doctorb
20-05-06, 14:49
I think Tomb raider 1 to 3 have the best music for the atmosphere in the game, TR1 maybe the best of them.

Tomb raider Legend has great music....on its own merits, but as far as creating an atmosphere I think it goes over the top, a sense of isolation is lost. Then again, you don't really feel alone, lost and in danger in Legend anyway.

in these arms
20-05-06, 15:41
tr1, It really his classical music to fit every level.

average stalker
20-05-06, 15:49
i like TR3 the best, but i haven't played TR4, 5 or 6 in a long time and i don't really remember the music

Lucy_Croft
20-05-06, 16:51
TR1, completely and utterly. NOTHING can match it. Maybe TR3 with some of its Jungle tunes. But nooooope, TR1, most definitely. It actually gives me a welling sense of nostalgia, sadness and beauty all in one. Aaaaah.

Lord PsyPing
21-05-06, 09:24
[Removed]

Lucy_Croft
21-05-06, 09:25
Nah, Legend's music is nice, but doesn't hold a candle to TR1 or 3

Brother Rumblebottoms
21-05-06, 09:31
I think all of the Tomb Raiders have their own, unique beautiful music; but my favourites will always be TR 1 (that Main Menu theme is just wonderful, as well as in TR 2--> also a very nice menu theme), and TR 3 has some amazing exotic tunes:)

Although TRL has an amazing soundtrack too, I love the Menu and the Credits theme, and that song that you get at the completion screen of each level.

in these arms
21-05-06, 09:32
Tr1's music fits every hard achievment that you have to do, or an atmosphereic place, like the cistern.

Lucy_Croft
21-05-06, 09:34
I think all of the Tomb Raiders have their own, unique beautiful music; but my favourites will always be TR 1 (that Main Menu theme is just wonderful, as well as in TR 2--> also a very nice menu theme), and TR 3 has some amazing exotic tunes:)

Although TRL has an amazing soundtrack too, I love the Menu and the Credits theme, and that song that you get at the completion screen of each level.
Yeah, well said. Some Legend music is very nice, like the music in Nepal. All of the TR menu theme tunes are lovely (well, except for TR4 and 5 - too sad :( )
I agree with you as well, in these arms, TR1's music always came in at the right moments and went on just long enough to instill certain emotions in you. Then it would fade away, leaving complete silence all around...

Elysia
21-05-06, 09:37
TR1, closely followed by TR3. The music actually contributes to these two being my favourite TRs. The choral chants of TR1 give it such a grandiose atmosphere... they fit the game so well! I love it when you first hit that pool room in Vilcabamba, and the chant starts - the first time I heard it, I was mesmerised. It just fit the atmosphere of the game so well. :)

Lucy_Croft
21-05-06, 09:46
And in the City of V. when you enter that room with all the skulls lining the walls, and with the first pushable block of the game (it makes me shudder when I see the blood smeared in the handholds), and that REALLY creepy music starts.... aaaaggh!!!!!!

Paul H
21-05-06, 09:56
For the main theme music I go for TR1 - I don't think that will ever be bettered. I also like the AOD main theme. The Venice music in TR2 is another classic.

Lucy_Croft
21-05-06, 09:58
AOD is quite nice, very dramatic and fits nicely with the game's darkness.
The Venice stuff I never really listen to, but I can see how some people would like it. It puts me in mind of sunshine and ciabatta. I don't know why :p

in these arms
21-05-06, 10:00
And in the City of V. when you enter that room with all the skulls lining the walls, and with the first pushable block of the game (it makes me shudder when I see the blood smeared in the handholds), and that REALLY creepy music starts.... aaaaggh!!!!!!

It dosent look like blood to me. Probbaly just scrath marks to me.

Lone Raider
21-05-06, 10:21
The music , in the second room in TR1, (coming down to face two wolves and then the timed door) is what totally got me hooked on TR instantly.
TR1 music is unsurpassed, but as Elysia said, closely followed by the beautiful coastal and jungle themes of TR3,( I even have a playlist with all the good tunes from any TR-related media)

But just to listen to, Legend has two or three really excellent tracks. :)
I always thought AoD was a bit too pompous. TR4 was ok but altogether more depressing and spooky, as opposed to the uplifting sounds from the first three...

TR 5, don't remember a single tune. :(

Lucy_Croft
21-05-06, 10:24
The music , in the second room in TR1, (coming down to face two wolves and then the timed door) is what totally got me hooked on TR instantly.
TR1 music is unsurpassed, but as Elysia said, closely followed by the beautiful coastal and jungle themes of TR3,( I even have a playlist with all the good tunes from any TR-related media)

But just to listen to, Legend has two or three really excellent tracks. :)
I always thought AoD was a bit too pompous. TR4 was ok but altogether more depressing and spooky, as opposed to the uplifting sounds from the first three...

TR 5, don't remember a single tune. :(
Agreed! Nicely said. Aaah, it makes me so nostalgic. {:)

Mad Tony
21-05-06, 19:14
I forgot to mention which game I think had the best music, well anyway here it is.

IMO I would say TR3 - as in these arms said there is a piece of music there to fit every achievement and event like when your are on the crash site level and discover the crashed plane and that military-style music plays, and somehow, it just seems appropriate.

tr1 and 2 also have some epic and nostlagic music, like on tr2 in the opera house when you are climbing up the ladder (near the start of the level) it just makes you think of what you have achieved so far in venice and makes you think of how much fun you have had (if you have had any)

Lucy_Croft
21-05-06, 20:33
Do you remember in one of TR2's levels, could be the Offshore Rig or Diving Area, and there's that HUUUUUUGE ladder (the bottom fades into darkness), and when you climb it there's that kind of 'rising' music that just makes you feel in complete awe? That's a key moment in TR2. Love it.

Lone Raider
21-05-06, 22:41
Aaaaah the endless climbing wall frog :D I loved that bit *dream*

Mad Tony
22-05-06, 06:21
That Rising Air Music Was the music was the one at the opera house, always seems to play going up ladders though?

in these arms
22-05-06, 06:56
I forgot to mention which game I think had the best music, well anyway here it is.

IMO I would say TR3 - as in these arms said there is a piece of music there to fit every achievement and event like when your are on the crash site level and discover the crashed plane and that military-style music plays, and somehow, it just seems appropriate.

tr1 and 2 also have some epic and nostlagic music, like on tr2 in the opera house when you are climbing up the ladder (near the start of the level) it just makes you think of what you have achieved so far in venice and makes you think of how much fun you have had (if you have had any)

But i did say the music for achivement was for tr1

Lucy_Croft
22-05-06, 08:36
I agree with you, in these arms, but Mad Tony has a point. TR3's music was a lot more versatile to fit the environment Lara was in - as he said, some extra drum beats for military areas, more exotic music for India etc - but the award for greatest amount of nostalgia goes to TR1 in my book :D

Nephili
22-05-06, 09:59
Tomb Raider Legend has some amazing music, but i also liked the music from the main menu of Angel of Darkness. Tomb Raider 4 had some good music, but Tomb Raider 1 had some amazing songs, the game wouldnt be the same without the music IMO.

ViperCLKGTR
22-05-06, 12:58
They all had great music but I think TR: AoD had the best.

Lucy_Croft
22-05-06, 16:23
Tomb Raider 1 had some amazing songs, the game wouldnt be the same without the music IMO.
Yeah, which is why I'm ****ed off my PC version has none :( lol

TRLore
23-05-06, 06:03
TR1, TR2 and TR3 will always have the best sounds and music for me...

Nicky
23-05-06, 10:19
Moved to General Chat :wve:

Lenochka
23-05-06, 10:22
Tomb Raider 1 I LOVED putting my PS1 disc in the CD player and listening to it, I looove that one song " Ambient " it plays in the sancuary of the scion once you go far enough down the sphinx. Its amazing! looves it alot ^^

MiCkiZ88
23-05-06, 10:22
tr4... just love the bost fight music and jeep thrill..

but other games.. well.. metal gear solid 2 for eve!

Kamrusepas
23-05-06, 10:56
Which TR, you mean? AoD.

Lucy_Croft
23-05-06, 11:37
Tomb Raider 1 I LOVED putting my PS1 disc in the CD player and listening to it, I looove that one song " Ambient " it plays in the sancuary of the scion once you go far enough down the sphinx. Its amazing! looves it alot ^^
Isn't it gorrrrrrrgeous! If you walk in the right spot you can trigger it to play whenever you want :p You know the door that leads down to the water with the archway bridge and one of the Ankhs? Well, the trigger spot is around there, on the sand. If you walk over to the door and back again, you should start the music off :D Then you can listen to it as much as you want. lol.

Spitfire
23-05-06, 12:37
Dreamfall and Indigo Prophecy hands down!
Indigo Prophecy more for it's actual music tracks
Dreamfall for it's original score and totally addictive ending song.

Laras Backpack
23-05-06, 12:41
Same here! :D
TR2 is also great. I love the music in Venice.

Spitfire
23-05-06, 12:48
Tomb Raider had good music but nothing extrodinary, only thing i dont mind listening to over in a loop is the mansion music from TRL, it's very soothing.

ace_85
23-05-06, 12:57
The music in all the TRs is great, especially the earlier tracks composed by Nathan McCree. The only other game I can think of with really stand-out music is Shadow of the Colussus :)

MiCkiZ88
23-05-06, 13:00
I forgot to mention.. final fantasy !

hunter
23-05-06, 13:09
TR5 and TRL :D

Spitfire
23-05-06, 13:12

Now That franchise....Advent Children has me singing "Sephiroth" all day long in that opera type tune with the little flute whistling at the end, always will final fantasy amazing it's players with some of the best compositions written for games ever!

Kamrusepas
23-05-06, 13:16

My first thought of course was [and still is] FFVIII, but the first post of this thread:

Which Tomb Raider game do you think has the best music in it. e.g. tomb raider Chronicles

MiCkiZ88
23-05-06, 13:17
My first thought of course was [and still is] FFVIII, but the first post of this thread:
I only read the title.. :o

Spitfire
23-05-06, 13:17
Well my feeling is TR never had that great of a musical score...

MiCkiZ88
23-05-06, 13:18
tr4 :D

Kamrusepas
23-05-06, 13:20

Same :(

Spitfire
23-05-06, 13:22
tr4 :D

it was still Meh IMO. I always enjoy long original musical scores found in most adventure games like God of War, Final Fantasy, The Longest Journey, and Dreamfall. But Tomb Raider had alot of music that I felt i had heard before. Dont get me wrong it totally fit the game but it didn't feel like it could stand out in a list of gaming compositions.

Lucy_Croft
23-05-06, 13:26
:yik:
Well, it incites more me emotion in me than most of the **** pop music these days, lol, unless that emotion is anger and disgust, in which case popular music wins! Yaaaay...... But you're right in a sense, I suppose. I love it though :D
And I'm really sorry to you Final Fantasy fans, but I played the demo of, like, number 2 or 3, years and years ago and it was so boring! I guess it's just not my kind of game.

Tombreaper
23-05-06, 13:30
TR I, II, III, Angel of Darkness.

Rivendell
23-05-06, 13:31
Tomb Raider 1 music was classic, in more ways than one, and is definitely my favourite.

Angel of Darkness music is amazing too - London Symphony Orchestra, Wow :jmp:

Lucy_Croft
23-05-06, 13:33
Tomb Raider 1 music was classic, in more ways than one, and is definitely my favourite.

Angel of Darkness music is amazing too - London Symphony Orchestra, Wow :jmp:
lol, yeah, they really pulled out all the stops for that!

RAID
23-05-06, 13:47
Tomb raider 1 of course

Punaxe
23-05-06, 14:56
Did anyone mention DOOM and DOOM 2 yet? :jmp:
Seriously, great music :tmb:

Hybrid Soldier
23-05-06, 17:34
Freedom Fighters
Call of Duty 1 & 2 (PC versions)

Though Call of Duty has occasional music...morely at the end of a/the level.

rachkitten
23-05-06, 17:44
Probbably Tomb Raider Legend :D

Wolfguard
23-05-06, 21:46
Well let's see...

Best game soundtracks:

Medal of Honor: Frontline
All Tomb Raider Games
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and Warrior Within
All Legacy of Kain games
All Baldur`s Gate games
Icewind Dale (1 and 2 + Heart of Winter)
Call to Duty
Diablo 2
Genji
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Lament of Innocence
Plainscape: Torment
God or War
GTA:3 , GTA: Vice City and GTA: San Andreas
Ace Combat 4
Street Fighter II
Darkstalkers
Tom Clancy`s Splinter Cell
Robotech: Invasion
The Godfather
Oddworld: Abe`s Oddysee and Abe`s Exodus

Best main character themes ever:

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - Ozarmidrashim/Raziel`s theme
Tomb Raider: Legend - Lara's theme/Main Menu track

Best "final mission" theme:

Ace Combat 4 - Rex Tremendae, Megalith -Agnus Dei-

Best retro early `80s themes:

Street Fighter Alpha

Best retro `70s space music ever:

Zero Divide (with bonus tracks from the game Phalanx)

Best shameless use of heavy guitar:

Dynasty Warriors 2, 3, 4 and 5

Best "old school" game tracks:

Dragon Spirit
Strider
Space Harrier

laras
23-05-06, 21:48
Tr1, Tr3, Tr4, Traod, Trl. :)

Tombreaper
23-05-06, 21:49
My second post:

God of War

Melonie Tomb Raider
23-05-06, 23:12
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time had the best music! Not necessarily because I liked the sound of it best, but it was so fitting to the game! I was highly impressed.

Next I'd have to say Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. the sound was pretty good on the first two games, but I liked it best in CT. Very fitting. :)

xMiSsCrOfTx
23-05-06, 23:16
TR3, Legend, James Cameron's Dark Angel, can't think of any others at the moment.

LegenDarY
23-05-06, 23:22
My first thought of course was [and still is] FFVIII]
Same here.. i really liked the music in FFVIII,

and the Tomb Raider 1 Main Theme, dunno why, but i get this wonderful feeling when i'm listening to that theme.. it's great.. i even have it on my phone and on my i-pod.. love it :)

i also love the woman who's singing in the Legend main theme.. i had low expectations of the new theme.. so i was surprised that i really liked it..

Shauni
23-05-06, 23:56
Beyond Good & Evil, by far. :)

ILG49ers
24-05-06, 00:33
I really liked the music from games like, Black, Prince of Persia The Sands of Time, Prince of Persia The Two Thrones, and Tomb Raider Legend. :)

Hybrid Soldier
24-05-06, 01:22
Well let's see...

Best game soundtracks:

Medal of Honor: Frontline
All Tomb Raider Games
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and Warrior Within
All Legacy of Kain games
All Baldur`s Gate games
Icewind Dale (1 and 2 + Heart of Winter)
Call to Duty
Diablo 2
Genji
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Lament of Innocence
Plainscape: Torment
God or War
GTA:3 , GTA: Vice City and GTA: San Andreas
Ace Combat 4
Street Fighter II
Darkstalkers
Tom Clancy`s Splinter Cell
Robotech: Invasion
The Godfather
Oddworld: Abe`s Oddysee and Abe`s Exodus

Best main character themes ever:

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - Ozarmidrashim/Raziel`s theme
Tomb Raider: Legend - Lara's theme/Main Menu track

Best "final mission" theme:

Ace Combat 4 - Rex Tremendae, Megalith -Agnus Dei-

Best retro early `80s themes:

Street Fighter Alpha

Best retro `70s space music ever:

Zero Divide (with bonus tracks from the game Phalanx)

Best shameless use of heavy guitar:

Dynasty Warriors 2, 3, 4 and 5

Best "old school" game tracks:

Dragon Spirit
Strider
Space Harrier

Haha, wow, Splinter Cell had music in it? During the gameplay? Or during the Cinematics? If your talking about cinematics then i noticed it, but if it was during gameplay then i didn't notice.

mau3genius
24-05-06, 01:31
TR3 and AoD.
I love AoD and I don't know why but specially the Parisian Theme has a mental effect on me.

ivannnnn
24-05-06, 03:40
TR3 and AoD.
I love AoD and I don't know why but specially the Parisian Theme has a mental effect on me.
Me too!!:jmp:

I like Soul Calibur 3,Final Fantasy X-2 and Tekken series

ingistefans
24-05-06, 09:18
Tomb Raider: Adventures of Lara Croft

Favourite song: Spooky Jungle from the Dirt bike level in the jungle.

Wolfguard
24-05-06, 13:08
Haha, wow, Splinter Cell had music in it? During the gameplay? Or during the Cinematics? If your talking about cinematics then i noticed it, but if it was during gameplay then i didn't notice.
Both. "Ambient" music as well as "spotted" music occurs during gameplay. When your "spotted," the fast paced music kicks in.

Kamrusepas
24-05-06, 14:12
Same here.. i really liked the music in FFVIII,

That's because it has the best music in the FF-series [and in general], closely followed by FFX :)

Lucy_Croft
24-05-06, 14:18
Tomb Raider: Adventures of Lara Croft

Favourite song: Spooky Jungle from the Dirt bike level in the jungle.
Yeah, that's song is lovely!
My fave tunes from TR would be:
TR1
Ambient (when you see the Sphinx)
Main theme
Scary music (the T-Rex theme :D)
Thor music (that one from the lightning room)
TR2
Main theme
'Rising' music (you know, when you go up big ladders or look out over huge shadowy chasms)
TR3
Main theme (love it!)
Dramatic (the one that starts with a few heavy beats)
Exotic (the Indian one from the Jungle)
Spooky Jungle
Various other little tunes
TR4
Various music, awe-inspiring ones especially :tmb:
TR5
Lots of music from the Young Lara levels
AOD
Main theme (it's alright)
Can't remember many other songs from it
LEGEND
Main theme
Peru Bike (can't get enough of it!)
Nepal music

Phew!
TR has tons of brilliant music.

Hybrid Soldier
24-05-06, 16:51
Both. "Ambient" music as well as "spotted" music occurs during gameplay. When your "spotted," the fast paced music kicks in.

Ohhh yeah! I loved it when it did that though, usually because i got startled by it. As odd as it sounds.

Catapharact
24-05-06, 16:53
Overall Score:

I will have to say Advent Rising and Halo. they both were part of the live Game Symphonies