PDA

View Full Version : Languages?

ClareT
23-05-06, 15:22
I was just wondering which languages can you speak? And which ones are you learning, if any?

I can speak English, obviously, since I was born in England. And I know French and German. I'm trying to learn Japanese, but it seems very difficult at the moment :D

CuteKittenlol
23-05-06, 15:23
English, French and German :tea:

Punaxe
23-05-06, 15:25
Hmm I speak Dutch (mother tongue), English (best second), German, and would be able to pick up French again if I tried (can only read it now), same with ancient Latin.
Am tyring to get myself to learn Finnish... :p

Sirius Black
23-05-06, 15:27
English, French, Welsh and I used to speak fluent Russian but not anymore. :(

Agnese Croft
23-05-06, 15:30
Latvian..like I`m born in Latvia..learn English (I know it good, not perfect, but really good), German(1 year im learn) and Russian..(perfect know this language)

Edit:French..not good

Cochrane
23-05-06, 15:31
German (native), English (quite good), French (not good at all). If it is not too difficult, I sometimes can make sense out of dutch texts.

sweetPoison
23-05-06, 15:31
English, French(been speaking this bloody language since I was 12/13...they just pounded it in my head!!), picked up a few swear-words in Afrikaans! LOL, filipino, and I am busy learning how to read egyptian hieroglyphs, and I want someone to teach me how to learn classical greek!! Help!!!!!

Ampersand
23-05-06, 15:35
English only. :p I can understand quite a lot of Filipino, but I'm not so keen on learning to speak it. :o

sweetPoison
23-05-06, 15:37
English only. :p I can understand quite a lot of Filipino, but I'm not so keen on learning to speak it. :o

Why, oh, why? That is your heritage! You must learn it!!!LOL

Thorir
23-05-06, 15:40
Norwegian and English.
Understand Swedish and Danish perfectly (but can't speak it).
Know some Icelandic, German and a bit of Spanish. Basic French, Italian and Japanese.

Ampersand
23-05-06, 15:41
Why, oh, why? That is your heritage! You must learn it!!!LOL

It just doesn't roll off my tongue smoothly, I find it really embarrassing to even attempt it. :o

Sirius Black
23-05-06, 15:43
I want someone to teach me how to learn classical greek!

ask Elen....she's a classy greek.......;)

...*hides*

TopCat.TopBeing
23-05-06, 15:44
hmm, let me see :) i speak lithuanian quite well :D then i guess my second best known language would be english :) then hmm.. russian i guess.. at least i can understand what ppl say in russian and i can also say some simple stuff in russian. well then ive been "studying" french for two years :D as a result i now know some 20 words in french ;D

Punaxe
23-05-06, 15:44
I studied Greek for three years or so... Or two, I don't remember. I haven't remembered anything. I guess I just couldn't deal with the different character set :(

sweetPoison
23-05-06, 15:45
ask Elen....she's a classy greek.......;)

...*hides*

I might do just that!! LOL:D

Jun~Pax
23-05-06, 15:54
I speak German (native), English (pretty well, I hope ;)), French (at least I used to, but no way near as well as English) and I have taught myself some Latin, just because I love it. I have also learned some Czech from my grandmother. Not much, though. :D

RAID
23-05-06, 15:56
English, Italian and a bit of Spannish. And a few words in Japanese. All I know in Japanese, I've learned it in Anime and Kill Bill. :p

jarhead
23-05-06, 15:57
just english.

forgotten most of the french but still remember lots ( of that which i learnt)

but i would porbaly pick up a language easily- i juts cant be bothered yet- im too busy

Lost_Soul
23-05-06, 16:02
Estonian(Native), English, Russian(not so well though) And want to learn German and Finnish...

Lone Raider
23-05-06, 16:03
I speak german (native), english, a bit of french, a bit more of spanish, and can read or make sense of dutch and italian texts.

VonCroy360
23-05-06, 16:43
Croatian, english (still learning), german (also learning), french (just started to learn it)... :)

ChineseDragon
23-05-06, 16:45
German, English, Polish and French. ;)

ClareT
23-05-06, 16:50
What would you say is the easiest language to learn?

And also, I have always wondered this. For those that have learnt English and it is not your mother tongue, how easy is English as a language?

Tombreaper
23-05-06, 16:52
What would you say is the easiest language to learn?

And also, I have always wondered this. For those that have learnt English and it is not your mother tongue, how easy is English as a language?

English is the most easy language to learn:)

jarhead
23-05-06, 16:53
im not sure about easiest- but ive herd that its very easy to pick up german and french becasue people will love chatting to you and they also seem to want to help you.

Betal
23-05-06, 16:54
swedish, english and little french
I understand Norwegian and danish but I can't talk it:(

VonCroy360
23-05-06, 16:55
English is quite easy...
The grammar is much more complicated in other languages...

In english there are no... I don't know how to say it cause there is none in english, in croatian we call it padež... it's got to do something with grammar... we have 7 of it in croatian, there are, for example, 4 in german...

I just realised how stupid this sounds... :)

ClareT
23-05-06, 16:57
That's interesting to hear that English is quite an easy language :D It's weird thinking how those that don't know English will see this language as being like another language is to us. It's really interesting ^_^

My favourite language at the moment though is French, I speak it all the time, I think my parents must be sick of hearing me talk in French to them :D

Rivendell
23-05-06, 16:58
English and Welsh :wve:

Tombreaper
23-05-06, 17:01
English and Welsh :wve:

Welsh?? LOL:) :)

jun89
23-05-06, 17:01
I speak Finnish (mother tongue) and English. I've studied Russian and I'm studying Swedish but I don't do very well in them :D

ClareT
23-05-06, 17:44
I was thinking of learning a fourth language, but have spent the last half hour trying to decide which one :D

Russian looks good, but a bit hard. I looked into Norwegian and I'm considering learning that. And if all else fails, Spanish doesn't look too hard.

Mona Sax
23-05-06, 17:53
English, German and French (a bit).

in these arms
23-05-06, 17:54
I do no a little german.

Wie geht es dir? anybody?

VonCroy360
23-05-06, 17:56
Ich? Gut. Und du?

Mona Sax
Gut, danke, und dir?

Hey, Slash's from Stoke-on-Trent! :jmp:

ClareT
Ich bin gut :D Und du?

I'm busy teaching myself Norwegian though, and at the moment I know "Hvordan har du det?" and "Hva heter du?" :D

AnthonyShock1515
23-05-06, 18:20
Well Im learning.....

French
German
Russian
Japanese
Irish
Chinese
Hindi
Latin
Greek
Icelandic
Hungarian
Czech
Norwegian
Polish
Arabic
....ooooh, I know this one....um....Italian!

lol thats it

jarhead
23-05-06, 18:26
how small are you- can you fit into a suitcase. :mis:

your my new translator for every holdiay i go on.

MiCkiZ88
23-05-06, 18:26
1. Puhun suomea ( I speak finnish :p )
2. I speak english (duuuuuhhh... :tea: )
3. Jag pratar svenska ( I speak swedish... )
4. Hablo español ( I speak spanish )
5. Niet boni my batrushki ( or how the hell you write it down.. that means I dont speak russian )
6. Few words in french so I can manage down there...
7. Ich spreche deutch...
8. Hevrit... Shalom! Manishma?

Uapa
23-05-06, 18:27
Sehr gut, danke schon

Polish

So cześć! How long did You learn it? and you learn it 'cos you want or sth like work?

ChineseDragon
23-05-06, 18:37
Sehr gut, danke schon

So cześć! How long did You learn it? and you learn it 'cos you want or sth like work?
czesc! My parents emigrated to Germany. They were born in Poland (w krakowie) . I was born in Germany but can't await the time when it's time to say good bye! (they talked polish at home so that was the first language I spoke. I learned German in school and by firends) I can speak and read polish very well but I have some problems with writing ;).

Thorir
23-05-06, 18:38
Ich bin gut :D Und du?

I'm busy teaching myself Norwegian though, and at the moment I know "Hvordan har du det?" and "Hva heter du?" :D

Hei, Clare! :)
Just ask me if there's anything you need help with! :)

badboy70
23-05-06, 18:48
dutch, english , french

i wonna learn to speak portugese :D i love that country

ClareT
23-05-06, 19:04
Hei, Clare! :)
Just ask me if there's anything you need help with! :)

Thanks, I'll let you know :D I found a good website which offers lessons, so at the moment I'm learning basic phrases, the alphabet and the numbers from one to ten (or en to ti) :)

VonCroy360
23-05-06, 19:08
Thanks, I'll let you know :D I found a good website which offers lessons, so at the moment I'm learning basic phrases, the alphabet and the numbers from one to ten (or en to ti) :)

Which site? Are there any other languages?
I would like to learn French... Right now I'm starting from books I borrowed and such cause I can't find a teacher... :)

ClareT
23-05-06, 19:23
Which site? Are there any other languages?
I would like to learn French... Right now I'm starting from books I borrowed and such cause I can't find a teacher... :)

French is a good language :D

And I found this site for Norwegian: http://www.sofn.com/norwegianculture/languagelessons/index.html

But there aren't any other languages, but if you try typing something along the lines of "Learn French" or something in a search engine you should be able to find a good site.

Rivendell
23-05-06, 19:28
Welsh?? LOL:) :)

Yep! Both my primary school and high school were & are taught in Welsh language!

Thorir
23-05-06, 19:37
Yep! Both my primary school and high school were & are taught in Welsh language!

Welsh is beautiful... :)
I think. Not sure if I've heard it, actually... :o

L.C
23-05-06, 20:01
English of course, I can also read/speak/understand a bit of Spanish (my strongest other language), French, some German, and learned a bit of Flemish, although I can't remember much. I also know a few Japanese words and phrases and can read Katakana characters as well :)

Does fluent American count? :p

Anubis_AF
23-05-06, 20:02
English is quite easy...

In english there are no... I don't know how to say it cause there is none in english, in croatian we call it padež... it's got to do something with grammar... we have 7 of it in croatian, there are, for example, 4 in german...

Not to me, probably because I understand what you mean :)
I speak 4 languages. Serbian(mother tongue), English, Arabic & French.

Lara Croft!
23-05-06, 20:21
I speak my mother tongue of course...Greek,English and French.

ClareT
23-05-06, 20:21
Welsh is beautiful... :)
I think. Not sure if I've heard it, actually... :o

I was just wondering about a word in Norwegian and how to pronounce it :D The word "Jeg" in phrases such as "Jeg er" or "Jeg heter". :D

Thorir
23-05-06, 20:50
I was just wondering about a word in Norwegian and how to pronounce it :D The word "Jeg" in phrases such as "Jeg er" or "Jeg heter". :D

Our pronounciation isn't always logical, and "jeg" is an example...

It's said sort of like "yeey". Or "yai".
More accurate would be something like "yi".
/ is the sound made in English "sky". (Ski)

Uhm... Maybe this was a bit complicated, sorry!

xMiSsCrOfTx
23-05-06, 20:56
I can speak English, Spanish, German, some French, some Greek and some Japanese. :)

Tomb Raider Master
23-05-06, 21:12
I speak Croatian, English and Italian. I'm also learning Latin and planning to learn French (and Greek also, if I manage).

VonCroy360:
In english there are no... I don't know how to say it cause there is none in english, in croatian we call it pade... it's got to do something with grammar... we have 7 of it in croatian, there are, for example, 4 in german...

I just realised how stupid this sounds... :) Yeah, it does. :D Stupid Croatian grammar. :hea: :p

jarhead
23-05-06, 21:17
you mean genders for objects??

Tomb Raider Master
23-05-06, 21:22
No, not genders. If you ever studied Latin, pade = casus. :)

Lone Raider
23-05-06, 21:25
English is quite easy...

In english there are no... I don't know how to say it cause there is none in english, in croatian we call it pade... it's got to do something with grammar... we have 7 of it in croatian, there are, for example, 4 in german...

I think that's declination/conjugation you're talking about. We got four or five Flle ("categories of inflection")(german) , the russians got six to deal with, the french are with five or so long in the running, only the blessed english say to the with the of the by the anything!!!

Tomb Raider Master
23-05-06, 21:28
Lone Raider:
I think that's declination
Correct! :tmb:

SSJ6Wolf
23-05-06, 21:57
English is my native language. I have also been studying French for about 5 years and I love it, even though my accent isn't very good :p But no one around me knows French. Maybe I should listen to those French-speaking tapes.

I don't like the way pronounciation works in English, there is no pattern whatsoever. Example: the ending "-ough" can be pronounced five different ways: rough, though, through, bough, and cough are all pronounced differently. Spelling is annoying too. People say "i before e except after c" but this isn't always true. Examples: Weird, Science. Again, there is a lack of pattern.

Wolfguard
23-05-06, 21:58
Yeah, aside from English...

I can get by with Spanish.
Know some phrases in Farsi/Persian and Japanese.
A few words here and there in Arabic, Italian, and Turkish.
One or two words in Armenian, Greek and Russian.

I also know the Turkish alphabet (I believe it's present day written form is based on the German alphabet) and can identify "letters" in Arabic, Farsi, Greek, Japanese and Russian.

G-Paul
23-05-06, 22:16
Nobody mentioned this, so here goes...........rrrrrrrrrromanian.English works fine for me,french, italian.Although I can understand german, I pretty much suck at it.

CerebralAssassin
24-05-06, 01:21
english,greek :)

ivannnnn
24-05-06, 03:29
Just English...of course i speak Indonesian
Do you know Indonesia?Maybe i'm the first to join this forum in Indonesia

Tomb Raider 5194
24-05-06, 04:58
I can speak Spanish and English I would like to learn Russian and French.

scoopy_loopy
24-05-06, 05:28
English is the hardest languge in the mondern world to learn says the internet.

I speak Australian :P Nihongo (Japanese) and En Francias! (Frech)

Tomb of Legends
24-05-06, 05:48
I speak English (alot XD)
A little Nihongo (Japanese)
And only little Italian!

Cochrane
24-05-06, 06:19
I wonder why so many people try to learn German. I've heard it's not an easy language to learn and germans who regularly deal with others can most often speak English.

Thorn
24-05-06, 06:28
Swedish, English, and Japanese. Japanese takes a long time without question. :p

angelika
24-05-06, 06:34
I speak greek of course. I also speak english and french.

And I decided to learn spanish this year.

MiCkiZ88
24-05-06, 06:53
hejsan! :D

Tomb of Legends
24-05-06, 06:56

Not me, I just annoyed the teacher by copying everything she said! :p I didnt even know what I was talking about after class! LOL

BTW, Did your name come from the room Thorn in TR1's St. Fransis Folly by any chance? :D

Janny
24-05-06, 07:43
Romanian, English, French (I can understand pretty well when people are talking to me, at writing I suck :o ), Latin - just a tiny bit, and that's all... :o

G-Paul
24-05-06, 12:39
Oh yeah, I'm pretty good at cursing in spanish.....does that count too?:cen:

Thorns
24-05-06, 17:32
English is my mother tongue, also fluent in Japanese.

ClareT
24-05-06, 17:37
I wonder why so many people try to learn German. I've heard it's not an easy language to learn and germans who regularly deal with others can most often speak English.

German is a great language to learn. It's easy at first but if you stick with it, it can be harder than French. But it's still a good language and useful to know.

And for whoever this may concern:-

:D

God kveld! Hvordan har du det?

badboy70
24-05-06, 19:58
German is a great language to learn. It's easy at first but if you stick with it, it can be harder than French. But it's still a good language and useful to know.

And for whoever this may concern:-

:D

God kveld! Hvordan har du det?
when dutch is your mother language it's pretty easy to speak dutch :D