PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

tlr online
24-05-06, 00:39
A friend of mine brought round an evaluation copy of Windows Vista this evening and we installed on a spare HDD on my PC. I gotta say this. The build was a latest build from MS and they certainly got their work cut out for them if they're going to make the 2007 debut.

The interface sure looks purdy, but functionally, it's an absolute nightmare. Every single option has been dumbed down, and stupid nag boxes appear asking if Windows has permission to do this, or that, or just about whatever you wanna do. I sure hope MS will spare a thought for those who've been around its o/s's for over ten years when the final built is rolled out. I wanna be able to disable all those stupid warnings!

It's also very resource-intensive, and I reckon 1GB of RAM is a pre-requisite. MS have now released a tool which tests whether a PC can run Vista. Mine is pretty fast, and it certainly felt sluggish to me.

I'm not overly impressed.

conorcroft2001
24-05-06, 00:41
One of my top buys for next year!

:yah: :tmb:

Conor

P.S. Just thought I would say - I go to www.winsupersite.com (http://www.winsupersite.com) regularly (not advertising). It's a great site and really helped my coursework this year when I did my blog)!

ace_85
24-05-06, 00:55
Microsoft certainly seems to be expecting a lot from customers with Vista. I'm aware that it's a 'premium' OS and isn't exactly supposed to be replacing XP when it comes out, but even so it seems like a lot of PCs won't have a hope of running it. It worries me that maybe a bit too much time has been spent on making it look nice rather than having it offer anything new :o

xMiSsCrOfTx
24-05-06, 00:56
Hmm, tlr says it's not that good, conor says it's one of his top buys next year... What to believe?! :D

conorcroft2001
24-05-06, 00:59
Hehe MissCroft!

I am buying it because I certainly like the look of it!

I d/loaded Media Player 11 this weekend past and it's stunning!

Conor

meansizzler
24-05-06, 01:19
Hehe MissCroft!

I d/loaded Media Player 11 this weekend past and it's stunning!

Conor

YUp but the online stpres are not working yet

amlai
24-05-06, 07:39
Its seems that Ms have a lot work to do then :(

Draco
24-05-06, 07:41
Bigger is not better. I miss 3.11.

EscondeR
24-05-06, 08:21
Bigger is not better. I miss 3.11.

Or maybe Basic interpreter... :tea: For me XP is just enough... yet. :) What is really interesting - the file system of Vista & it's abilities (security and data recovery, if smth new)!

Cochrane
24-05-06, 08:33
I'll stay with Windows 2000 until I have no other choice, for example if a new game or a new piece of hardware will absolutely not work with it.

From what I've seen so far, I don't like the UI at all, both the way it looks (well, better than XP candy, but still) and the usability, which looks quite horrible.

The technologies under the hood seem nice and seem to partly justify the hardware requirements, but a lot of aspect similar to those in Vista can be and have been implemented on systems with much lower ressources, for example advanced search in Mac OS X. Microsoft certainly pays a lot of attention to developers, which is never a bad thing, but they seem to hype a new technology that will make programming much easier every two years (.NET, DirectX 10, XNA, WinFX, ). As I avoid programming on the Windows platform, I have no idea whether this is good or bad, but it looks chaotic from the outside.

As far as Windows evolution goes, Vista could be worse (if it is ever released), but it doesn't look like it will be a trendsetter system, one that other vendors will try to copy and that customers will buy in large amounts because it's actually cool (not because of hype or because everyone uses it). If you want that, wait till August 7 (http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/).

MiCkiZ88
24-05-06, 08:34
ARGH.. why wouldn't they do a system like linus did.. it doesnt eat your pc alive.. some games run more smoothly on previous windows instalments than on my xp! Is this another marketing trick to make you buy bigger and worser windows... and by that to buy a new computer! :mad:

angelika
24-05-06, 08:37
I didn't even like XP compared to 98. Reading the above I hope I won't have to use them.

EscondeR
24-05-06, 08:46
From what I've seen so far, I don't like the UI at all, both the way it looks (well, better than XP candy, but still) and the usability, which looks quite horrible.

Well, I'll killed all the freaking "candies" right after install, so my XP looks like W2K, works extremely fast but saves all functionality of origin... :)

The most annoying thing is many autorunning services, some have no use and should be shut down (like remote registry :tea:) :wve: Bill Gates

GoranAgar
24-05-06, 09:24

We are doomed. :hea:

Geck-o-Lizard
24-05-06, 10:01
Urgh. It'd be wishful thinking to hope they get it all sorted by 2007, with their track record.

JasonDavies15
24-05-06, 10:10
I think the look of Vista is not my taste at all. I am very happy with XP and it's themes. I also tried Windows Media Player 11 Beta and I didn't like it at all. It was very buggy - it kept on importing every single music file on my PC which I didn't want, when I tried deleting them they kept on appearing after I adjusted the options in the tools menu.

meansizzler
24-05-06, 10:14
I think the look of Vista is not my taste at all. I am very happy with XP and it's themes. I also tried Windows Media Player 11 Beta and I didn't like it at all. It was very buggy - it kept on importing every single music file on my PC which I didn't want, when I tried deleting them they kept on appearing after I adjusted the options in the tools menu.

That's casue you don't know how to use it...:D

JasonDavies15
24-05-06, 10:17
That's casue you don't know how to use it...:D

I do know how to use it. I just had enough of it's stupid importing after I stopped it monitoring my computer folders. After all it is a beta.

conorcroft2001
24-05-06, 13:34
I think MP11 is very cool!

I like the black look of it too!

Conor

JamesFKirk
24-05-06, 13:34
There's one thing that will try to make us all buy Vista if the game industry goes crazy. That thing is DX10, which is going to be Vista only. Since Vista is going to cost about the same money as PS3 in my country (and that's just Vista, not counting the HW necessary to run it, better to say, to walk/crawl it), I really ask myself, do we really need this? It's a "get-more-money" trick which, from my point of view, threatens the PC as a major gaming platform should the game developers jump onto DX10 almost simultaneously.
I fear the future of PC gaming is grim.

conorcroft2001
24-05-06, 13:35
Well, I am going to buy it for Alan Wake if XP can't run it!

Conor

JamesFKirk
24-05-06, 13:36
If you want that, wait till August 7 (http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/).
Just came to my mind...
"Remember, remember August 7th, the MacOS-X treason and plot..."
OK, OK :D

conorcroft2001
24-05-06, 13:37
LOL, what is gonna be so "big" about the next OSX?

Conor

MiCkiZ88
24-05-06, 13:37
more reasons for me to buy a ps3

conorcroft2001
24-05-06, 13:38
I will buy a PS3 - when they come down in price!

Conor

£400 is far too much!

JasonDavies15
24-05-06, 13:39
Another reason why I don't like WP11 is that I get no online store! :(

JamesFKirk
24-05-06, 13:39
Well, I'm gonna stay with PC, but that's not saying I will continue to play games on PC. After all, I need a PC to do my job.

conorcroft2001
24-05-06, 13:40
Lack of online stores don't annoy me - I like the playlists in it!

Very nice to use!

Conor

JamesFKirk
24-05-06, 13:45
Maybe, just MAYBE someone will write DX10->DX9.0c conversion... Cause I personally think that DX10 being Vista-only is the final proof of someone being seriously mad inside Micro$oft.

conorcroft2001
24-05-06, 13:50
LOL!;)

Conor

Cochrane
24-05-06, 14:31
Don't expect anything good from a DirectX10 to DirectX9.0 transition, if there is one. Something like that can never be feature-complete and will be quite slow. If a game developer does actually use DirectX 10, he's also likely to use lots of other APIs that are only available on Vista. At least, he won't have any reason not to.

It remains to be seen how fast the game developers jump onto DirectX 10. They'll know that doing so will make the game unusuable for a part of their customers, and they'll have to figure out whether it is worth it. I don't expect many games to use DirectX 10 within the first (or maybe first two) years of Vista.

LOL, what is gonna be so "big" about the next OSX?

No idea, Apple will tell us August 7th :D. But the current OSX has already most of the features Vista is supposed to have available, and the rest (e.g. full UI scaling, extremely hardware-accelerated 2D drawing) as a hidden preference so that developers can try out how their apps will work with that. So chances are that the next OSX will be a lot better than Vista.

Punaxe
24-05-06, 14:35
Anyone not seen this one yet?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KMU0tzLwhbE&search=developers...

:D

And you're right, if DX10 would be Vista only... :/