PDA

View Full Version : Sony - Pre-owned PS3 games BANNED?!

UNDERTAKER
24-05-06, 19:08
Sony makes moves to stamp out lucrative second-hand market

High street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

We assume that the thinking behind this move will ultimately be to stop PS3 games being resold several times - which currently snatches potential sales away from Sony - and to counter the impression in consumers' minds that games are only really worth their pre-owned price and are not worth buying new.

When we contacted Sony, it issued us with the following statement: "We have made all of the official announcements at E3 and cannot make any further comments at this time. We will be announcing more news running up to PlayStation 3's launch."

Source - www.gamesradar.com

Pathetic if true. I'd like to see the Sony diehards defend this decision... :mad:

Punaxe
24-05-06, 19:10
Well, just sell the licence and give the disc with it :p
I hardly see a difference?

Mona Sax
24-05-06, 19:15
That's ridiculous. There's no way they can ever stop people from selling the games directly or on eBay and the like.

interstellardave
24-05-06, 19:15
The liscense will be stored on the hard-drive; if you sell it, it'll be worthless to the purchaser.

MORE SONY ARROGANCE!!!

Now, I'll leave so the flood of Sony apologists can post...

Punaxe
24-05-06, 19:16
Ah yeah, there's a hard drive... Man that's lame. What if your station breaks down or you want to play it at a friend's?

UNDERTAKER
24-05-06, 19:17
When I complete a game it becomes useless. I like to trade it in at the game shops and get money off my next purchase. If this is true, then I will have to hold on to every game I purchase for PS3!

Not to mention the fact that some people just can't afford to pay full price for new games. They like buying them second hand for a discount price.

MiCkiZ88
24-05-06, 19:18
It's all about the money :rolleyes: ... What happens after the ps4 arrives and you want to sell your ps3...

Night Crawler
24-05-06, 19:18
The PS3 is seriously gonna bomb, they're taking too many chances and making too many mistakes.

Punaxe
24-05-06, 19:19
I'm getting that idea as well now, Night Crawler. What on earth or they doing?

interstellardave
24-05-06, 19:19
Ah yeah, there's a hard drive... Man that's lame. What if your station breaks down or you want to play it at a friend's?

Welcome to the world the corporations want you to live in... where your freedom of choice is more and more limited. 20 years ago that statement would really seem silly (although people were saying it). Now they're implementing it!

This is just like that patent that was approved wherein you won't be able to change television channels if commercials are on, nor can you skip commercials on recordings! Crazy but true!

interstellardave
24-05-06, 19:23
I realize I've been critical of Sonys moves already, so this may not mean anything to Sony fans, but if they do this I WILL NOT BUY A PS3 (and I was planning to, eventually). Seriously, no matter what games come out for it. Purchasing it under these terms gives liscense to everyone else to do this. If Sony suceeds then MS and Nintendo will do it as well--and who could blame them?! You can only vote NO with your wallet, folks. :mad:

Punaxe
24-05-06, 19:25
I'm giving the Wii my votes at this moment, definitely after this news... O_o

scion05
24-05-06, 19:27
bye bye sony

Dingaling
24-05-06, 19:37
I read this news months ago. Sony debunked the news saying it was false.

MiCkiZ88
24-05-06, 19:37
WHOA!! now that better :D

UNDERTAKER
24-05-06, 19:42

I hope so :wve:

TrojanMan
24-05-06, 19:58
I wouldn't put this past Sony. Game developers lose millions of dollars on rentals and used games. Why do you think EB Games employees pressure you to buy their used products? Because most of the profit of a new title goes towards the manufacturer, and the profit of a used title goes to the vender. Without the option of the vender profit, the game industry will make much more money.

Awful for consumers though. No way I'm getting a PS3 if this is true.

meansizzler
24-05-06, 20:01
SO since it's a licence they can't charge us full price, wonder how much it will be $10?...

Lara's Boy
24-05-06, 20:04
That REALLY sucks....hopefully this isn't going to be true.....:( :mad:

Mona Sax
24-05-06, 20:04
SO since it's a licence they can't charge us full price, wonder how much it will be $10?...
$50, just like now. When you buy a game, you purchase the CD/DVD and the right to use the software. The CD's worth is less than 10c, so actually you're already buying licenses for $49.90.

MiCkiZ88
24-05-06, 20:19
did some one even notice this?

Tombreaper
24-05-06, 21:45
did some one even notice this?

Ye, ff course, I'm on 5 forums already to check out on the rumour control panels:D :)

interstellardave
24-05-06, 21:57
[PS3] Sony makes moves to stamp out lucrative second-hand market
Words: Matt Cundy

Wednesday 24 May 2006
High street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.
It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.
We assume that the thinking behind this move will ultimately be to stop PS3 games being resold several times - which currently snatches potential sales away from Sony - and to counter the impression in consumers' minds that games are only really worth their pre-owned price and are not worth buying new.
When we contacted Sony, it issued us with the following statement: "We have made all of the official announcements at E3 and cannot make any further comments at this time. We will be announcing more news running up to PlayStation 3's launch."

interstellardave
24-05-06, 21:59
This story is dated TODAY! (I posted it above).

So Sony may have debunked the initial rumor because they didn't want the story out, especially if they weren't sure about it. But they might still be thinking of doing this because this story is brand new. :(

Plus this story mentions a retailer that was told this... anyone know anyone at High Street games?

Melonie Tomb Raider
24-05-06, 21:59
No skin off my back, I never sell games.

I can't say I condone the decision though. Although it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Dingaling
24-05-06, 22:47
This story is dated TODAY! (I posted it above).

So Sony may have debunked the initial rumor because they didn't want the story out, especially if they weren't sure about it. But they might still be thinking of doing this because this story is brand new. :(

Plus this story mentions a retailer that was told this... anyone know anyone at High Street games?

It is entirely possible they've started to think about it or that they've always intended it but looking through Gamespot and IGN, I haven't seen a thing and normally they would report something as big as this. Sorry, I'm remaining skeptic for now :p

Oh, also, I've heard a lot of things being told to websites from retailers which just aren't true.

And, this doesn't really affect me in any way. Like Melonie, I don't sell games, nor do I really buy used games. I've found that most of the time they're pretty messed up and I have to end up returning the game.

TrojanMan
24-05-06, 23:04
I don't sell games or buy used very often either, but could this affect rentals? If so...

illuminati30
24-05-06, 23:53
If this is true, bye bye Sony! Nice knowing you!

I also mentioned this kind of thing about Tomb Raider Legend. OK sales are good, but how many copies are in second hand bins?

Solution to this problem -

Make games people wont want to sell on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: UT your avatar rocks! Best you have had :tmb:

Thorir
25-05-06, 00:01
I don't believe it. :)

Thorn
25-05-06, 00:01
Jeez :confused:

dbot
25-05-06, 00:22
if that were true, that seems like it would be a disasterous idea. The ps3s already gonna be 500-600 bucks, and then you can only buy new games?

Im a BIG playstation fan, and i'll admit thats ridiculous.

Geck-o-Lizard
25-05-06, 00:25
I'm feeling more and more like a rat running through a maze, with total freedom of choice regarding which path I take, but total restriction in that all my options are pre-defined. I do hope this is a hoax or it might spell out the future of software...

Geck-o-Lizard
25-05-06, 00:30
No skin off my back, I never sell games.

I can't say I condone the decision though. Although it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

It's not so much the reselling as the buying of secondhand games. It's extremely convenient for people (like myself) who can't afford the price of brand new games - thirty pounds for ten hours of play isn't a fair deal for many. Half that price is, and the only way to get games that cheap is by getting them second hand. The idea of abolishing secondhand games trade is a huge deal to me.

[edit] Oops, double post, sorry. :o

BoyTRaider
25-05-06, 00:37
I don't think Sony would be stupid enough to do that... well, I can't really say anything. All industries are die-hard for money; yes, that includes Nintendo, Microsoft, and every other gaming industry.
Whatever Sony does won't affect me one bit. :)

Spitfire
25-05-06, 03:22
LOL
Im buying a game even if i dont own the system and seeling it cheap to a kid at aschool to be a rebel...COME ON SONY! As if people themselves are gonna follow this!

Spitfire
25-05-06, 03:41
More PS3 non sense
Vicious rumor apparently proven false
Words: Eric Bratcher

Not content to get all of the controversy regarding PlayStation (http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060524162421512039&sectionId=1006&releaseId=20060314115917309058#) 3 out in the open during E3 06 - see our story (http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060508213259903019&sectionId=1006&releaseId=20060314115917309058) regarding the sky-high price; the motion-sensitive, non-rumbling controller (http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060524162421512039&sectionId=1006&releaseId=20060314115917309058#); and the differences between the two PS3 models - Sony apparently saved some for later.
Our UK companion site recently posted an article (http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060524153157765035&sectionId=1006) outlining a claim that certain UK retailers have been informed that they will be unable to sell used PlayStation 3 games (http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060524162421512039&sectionId=1006&releaseId=20060314115917309058#).
Sony (http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060524162421512039&sectionId=1006&releaseId=20060314115917309058#) does indeed have the patented ability to create PS3 games that must be registered the first time they're inserted into your PS3, and could then only play on that specific PS3. This would obviously both severely hinder game piracy and also torpedo used game sales.
However, this rumor is apparently just that: a rumor. Despite contacting several industry insiders, neither GamesRadar US or its other companion site, www.next-gen.biz (http://www.next-gen.biz/), could seem to verify the UK retailer's story. NextGen's take on the scene can be found here (http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3086&Itemid=2), complete with quotes from various of industry insiders sounding bewildered and incredulous.
Sony's US office could neither allay nor confirm our fears. Kimberly Otzman, senior manager of corporate communications, offered, "We can't comment on rumors or speculation. We plan on announcing the [launch] lineup as we get closer to the launch in November. We haven't made any announcement on used game sales."
For our part, GamesRadar US contacted over a dozen industry insiders, and none have yet heard of such a plan. Many ceded that a system which locked a disc to a console (and which Sony has a patent on, incidentally) could be a useful tool to combat piracy, and that many publishers and developers would welcome the extinction of used game sales, which they view as little more than legalized piracy.
However, those same insiders also agreed that such a plan would enrage both retailers - many of which rely heavily on the sales of used games for income - and game-buying consumers themselves.
Finally, Jennie Kong, UK PR Manager at SCEE told the UK newspaper The Guardian that "this is false speculation and that PlayStation 3 software will not be copy protected to a single machine but will be playable on any PlayStation 3 console."
So that's that. Sony, as it turns out, isn't doing everything they possibly can to send consumers running to 360, Wii, PC and basically any console other than a PS3.

May 24, 2006

LiquidKal
25-05-06, 03:46
Hopefully this is fake, but if it isn't...

I've never bought second hand games before, and don't sell the games I do have, so that part of it doesn't really annoy me, although I do think its stupid.

What does annoy me though, is the idea that a game will be useless on any other console except the one I buy it for. If that is true, then its ridiculous. It won't accomplish anything except giving people another reason to Mod their consoles. Sony have announced that PS3 games won't be region coded like the previous gen games, which used to be the fuel behind the modding debate, "We mod our consoles to play import games, not to pirate them" etc... And now they're just replacing that excuse with a new one. People won't need to mod to play imports anymore, but they will if they don't want their friends to bring their own consoles around just to play one of their games when you have a perfectly good console already.

If this turns out to be true, then Sony are idiots.
If this turns out to be false, then someone is trying to stir up trouble and they are an idiot.
Either way, the idiot index just raised a notch.

Spitfire
25-05-06, 03:53
If this turns out to be false, then someone is trying to stir up trouble and they are an idiot.

that made me smile :)

LiquidKal
25-05-06, 04:13
Thank you :D

Finally, Jennie Kong, UK PR Manager at SCEE told the UK newspaper The Guardian that "this is false speculation and that PlayStation 3 software will not be copy protected to a single machine but will be playable on any PlayStation 3 console."

This made me smile. Thank god its false.

Spitfire
25-05-06, 04:20
Thank you :D

This made me smile. Thank god its false.
me too!
I was about to say how stupid could they be!

Tomb of Legends
25-05-06, 06:14
Im a huge Sony fan, I have having nothing Fan-Boyish to say but this...

WHAT THE F**K ARE YOU THINKING! SELF CENTRED....GRR!!

JamesFKirk
25-05-06, 07:51
Seems Sony is slowly adopting policies of Microsoft about software...
God save the gaming.

CerebralAssassin
25-05-06, 10:43

nope.not either way.whoever is trying to stir things up is doing so at Sony's expense,to get consumers to hate Sony and run to the other consoles,a smart thing to do :)

UNDERTAKER
25-05-06, 10:51
Thanks for the link Spitfire :wve:

meansizzler
25-05-06, 10:56
$50, just like now. When you buy a game, you purchase the CD/DVD and the right to use the software. The CD's worth is less than 10c, so actually you're already buying licenses for $49.90.

This just reminds me of Steam or Direct2Drive, you pay the full amount for the game don't get in on CD and cannot sell it, but I like that idea, as you can play the game from the HD, , maybe if Sony gave you that feature then it would justify the whole thing...

interstellardave
25-05-06, 10:56
Spitfires' article is dated the same day as the other one, so that's GOOD NEWS! I don't know if anyone is trying to stir up trouble or there was genuine confusion on the part of certain retailers, but it's better for all of us if the story isn't true. Since other big sites aren't reporting this as fact (IGN, Gamespot, etc) then this has be viewed as FALSE right now.

Thank God!!! Now I can still plan on buying a PS3 one day! :D

MiCkiZ88
25-05-06, 11:03
My emotion now :yah: :yah: now I can buy me a ps3.. :jmp:

Spitfire
25-05-06, 12:44
I was always going to buy one but if that whole "game copy protection and liscensing" ordeal was real it would just make me wait for a Modchip...

interstellardave
25-05-06, 13:17
The only thing that still bugs me about this is that I haven't seen a flat denial from Sony (NOT that they haven't said it--just haven't seen it). So even though the rumor still has no factual backing right now it's slightly disturbing that it keeps popping up. Makes me think they just might be thinking of doing something along these lines and are "testing the waters" to see public reaction... or maybe that's my innate distrust of big corporations. I could easily see MS and Nintendo wanting to do this as well, even if they haven't yet. Let's hope no-one ever does.

Dingaling
25-05-06, 13:23
Well SCEE is Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, and the article posted by Spitfire states someone from there (Jennie Kong, UK PR Manager) stated the rumours were false :) So, that's being denied by the European Sony. And since it was from a UK site, it makes sense that Sony Europe would deny it.

Airave
25-05-06, 17:55
Thanks for the "heads-up". I will certainly
base my future buying decisions on who is
buyer friendly and keeps it honest.

Book and other media producers don't pull
this kind of BS. Why should Sony be the one
to dirty the waters? You wear the jacket you
weave.

viper456
25-05-06, 23:58
The liscense will be stored on the hard-drive; if you sell it, it'll be worthless to the purchaser.

MORE SONY ARROGANCE!!!

Now, I'll leave so the flood of Sony apologists can post...

WEll im glad its just a rumour! cause if your ps3 broke it would mean you would have to buy all your games again and GRRR what a stupid thing to spread around! i would love to see which idiots write these rumours to start with :@

Tombreaper
26-05-06, 03:01
All this twaddle for just a rumour, and even worse, a big lie.
Think before you post.

Genocide
26-05-06, 03:17
All this twaddle for just a rumour, and even worse, a big lie.
Think before you post.
I wouldnt say it was a lie...knowing Sony, they probably did consider this as a way of making more money due to the massive ass-whooping they are getting from Microsoft, and soon Nintendo

Tombreaper
26-05-06, 03:32
I wouldnt say it was a lie...knowing Sony, they probably did consider this as a way of making more money due to the massive ass-whooping they are getting from Microsoft, and soon Nintendo

Why don't you go check out the internet, I didn't post because I'm a monkey or something.
(:) )

Mary CF
26-05-06, 04:34
I am definitely not a Sony diehard fan... but on the plus side wouldn't this negate any possibility of someone stealing someone else's games.. because they would be useless?

Then again someone could still do it out of malice. Or they could take your PS3 with it and sell the games AND the system AND the licenses all in one shot. At least thats what I gather from this.

*ponders*

EDIT: didn't read the rest of this thread before posting. oops. Doubted it too, but I don't read news on the net and especially not about Sony.