PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras!

taika
24-05-06, 19:55
Hi guys,
I am looking to buy a new digital camera. I want a good one which can produce good quality photographs. Photography is something I am interested in. I just don't really know a lot about cameras. I want something not too expensive (100-200) There are some good ones on www.ebuyer.com I just don't really know a lot about good cameras. Does anyone have any recommendations?

meansizzler
24-05-06, 19:57
Ask here..

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80

taika
24-05-06, 19:58
thank you meansizzler I will

RoseTyler
24-05-06, 20:04
I'm really sorry but if you want a decend digital camera then you'll have to pay at least £500 for one.

I'm speaking from personal experience when I say they are ALL rubbish. And not only that but they make you look totally different. Even the 'good' expensive ones. The one I have just now is a Sony and is worth £1000 and its quite rubbish. The pictures turn out grainy unless you take them in broad daylight.

:(

Still they're fun just to mess around with and develop pictures quickly and easily. :D I want a normal camera though.

MiCkiZ88
24-05-06, 20:23
I'm really sorry but if you want a decend digital camera then you'll have to pay at least 500 for one.

I'm speaking from personal experience when I say they are ALL rubbish. And not only that but they make you look totally different. Even the 'good' expensive ones. The one I have just now is a Sony and is worth 1000 and its quite rubbish. The pictures turn out grainy unless you take them in broad daylight.

:(

Still they're fun just to mess around with and develop pictures quickly and easily. :D I want a normal camera though.
My olympos takes pretty goo pics...

stereopathic
24-05-06, 21:16
i'd look at canon. if you want a good point-n-shoot with some versatility, the canon powershot a530 is a nice camera. it's got a quick reaction time (shoots quickly after pressing the button, kinda hard to find in economical digitals), takes nice pictures, and the ISO can be set up to 800. in the US it's a $200 camera, which means it should fit into your price range. it's a 5 megapixel but shoots very high quality.

if you want a camera that you can learn photography with, you should probably avoid a point-n-shoot. which means the price will go up significantly.

and take rose's advice on her sony. sony makes a lot of really fine products but cameras is NOT one of them. a 7 megapixel sony takes worse pics than a 5 megapixel canon.

Tombreaper
24-05-06, 21:36
Mmm, all good digital cameras can perform very well.
I use Cybershot for over 4 years, results: 9 out of 10 photos were good (near 10.000 images with my first camera, near 8000 with my second:) )

Waylander
24-05-06, 21:58
If you are interested in photography, try to get a camera that has some manual controls, like shutter speed control. It'll allow much more creativity.

stereopathic
24-05-06, 22:04
waylander's absolutely right. you'll need shutter speed, apperture and film speed controls to actually learn photography.

Tombreaper
24-05-06, 22:12
waylander's absolutely right. you'll need shutter speed, apperture and film speed controls to actually learn photography.

Yeah, film speed control, best is to learn photography on an analoge camera first.
I did that too:)

Punaxe
24-05-06, 22:13
Mmoaaa I don't think that's the way to go nowadays. If you're gonna be digital anyway... :p
And yeah, look for some manual stuff. Canon PowerShot used to have that back in the day (A75 etc), nowadays I'm not really into those small ones anymore. Ask at a shop, and say that you want to be able to control as many aspects as possible, but that it should also be able to do it automatically.

Tombreaper
24-05-06, 22:17
Mmoaaa I don't think that's the way to go nowadays. If you're gonna be digital anyway... :p
And yeah, look for some manual stuff. Canon PowerShot used to have that back in the day (A75 etc), nowadays I'm not really into those small ones anymore. Ask at a shop, and say that you want to be able to control as many aspects as possible, but that it should also be able to do it automatically.

I know punaxe, but back then is was very usefull for me.
Now I can handle my digital camera with ease, no secrets on my camera:)

Waylander
24-05-06, 22:23
I learned on a film SLR that I bought in 2002. Before that I knew nothing about aperature, ISO, shutter speed so I had a lot to learn. When I got my first digital camera it was a point and shoot with no manual control. I was so used to have plenty of control I felt so restricted with the digital.

If you want to take really good photos you should learn about shutter speed and aperature.

Joseph
24-05-06, 22:25
I use a Powershot G5. Very fine camera! :tmb:

But of course i have complaints, hey it is a 3 year old. Biggest complaint is the small lens makes geometry-deform like a fish-eye, clearly visible in pictures of paintings (or any object you know the shape should be square), so i always have to correct that in Photoshop. That's why i will upgrade to a bigger lens camera some day.

Besides that, it is an excellent camera to use (easy, and high quality pictures). I payed 720 euro's back then, today such cameras are less than 500 euro's.
Powershot series of today has the same handy-ness, but lesser in quality.

Punaxe
24-05-06, 22:30
Doesn't zooming in help for the deformation?

Mine does it too a little (58mm diameter lens), because it's a wide angle lens. If you switch to tele (i.e. zoom in a little :p), there won't be any deformation on my cam.

Joseph
24-05-06, 22:32
Doesn't zooming in help for the deformation?

NO! That makes it even worse!
Your camera simply has a better lens i guess. :tmb: