PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo and MS reaction to PS3 controller

illuminati30
25-05-06, 00:17
Nintendo:

Miyamoto Flattered by PS3 Controller

May 22, 2006 - In an interview with Canadian publication the Edmonton Sun, Nintendo super star Shigeru Miyamoto commented that Sony's inclusion of motion sensing technology in its new controller proves the Wii is on the right track.

As to whether or not he thinks Sony copied the idea from the Wii controller, Miyamoto replied: "It's kind of what always seems to happen. But the fact that they looked at what we were doing and decided it was a good path is kind of flattering; it kind of reinforces in our minds that we're doing the right thing."

"What they've done is just take your standard controller and add in this motion-sensing device that's similar to what we did back on the Game Boy (http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/709/709561p1.html#) Color many years ago. Maybe if they were to completely copy and go with a remote and a nunchuk and two motion sensors, I might be a little more concerned. But I don't think they're anywhere close to that."

As for Sony and Microsoft's performances at E3, Miyamoto said: "They're talking about the next generation of the same old videogames (http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/709/709561p1.html#) - it's the same old experiences with new graphics. And while there are people who enjoy that, we're really talking about the next leap in interactive entertainment, and really bringing interactive entertainment not just to videogame fans but to everyone."

Miyamoto also tried to alleviate any worries that the Wii controller will prove too cumbersome for those who just want to sit on their couch and play a game. "The fact of the matter is, if you want to, you can play in much the same style as you did before. You can sit with Zelda and just with little movements you can control the game perfectly well. Similarly with tennis, by kind of slapping the Wii remote against your hand, you can play the game that way if you really want to. As people get better and better at the individual games, it may be that their motions drift from the more exaggerated to the less exaggerated. But at the same time, I tend to find that moving around a bit more tends to be more fun."

And finally, the designer had some comments about the name of Nintendo's new system. "In Japan, a lot of gamers thought it was a strange name, and the comment we got the most was that it doesn't sound like the name of a game system. What we did find with the casual gamers or the non-gamers - because it does sound so different and unique - it doesn't sound like a game system. And that's a plus for them."

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/709/709561p1.html

Microsoft:

Peter Moore Yawns at PS3 Controller

The Microsoft VP is not impressed with Sony's last-minute motion sensing addition.
by Daemon Hatfield (http://uk.ps3.ign.com/email.html)

May 22, 2006 - In an interview with Eurogamer TV, Xbox guru Peter Moore stated he's not worried about the PlayStation 3 controller's motion sensing capabilities.

"At Microsoft we did the same controller six years ago - most people remember that," Moore said. "The gamers' response was muted at best. We remember it being applicable to flying games in particular and some driving games but overall there was somewhat of a collective yawn from the gaming community about the motion sensing technology."

There has been much talk of Sony's controversial decision to remove the rumble feature from the PS3 pad. "The motion sensing, particularly at the sacrifice of force feedback - I'm not even sure that's a good trade off in itself," Moore said.

Moore also had something to say about the PlayStation 3's price point: "When I remember the furore we got for 299 and 399 Euros, I can only imagine what's going on back home for 599 Euros for what looks to me like a platform that's on a par at best with some of the software we're showing."

"But Sony's a great company and I'm sure they know what they're doing, and we'll see if the gamer reacts accordingly."

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/709/709557p1.html

What i say :

Fair play to Nintendo here. All they had to say was positive.

Spitfire
25-05-06, 04:02
Jee more harsh words from Moore, get a life.
Thanks for article, just shows how jealous people get when a new idea is thrown into the mix.

mau3genius
25-05-06, 04:18
I liked the answer of Miyamoto [even though I'm a "Sony Fan"]. Didn't need to 'insult' any company to show his/Nintendo's point of view.
From the 2 or 3 articles of this 'competition' of next gen consoles I see Peter Moore busier on trying to bash Sony with pure stupidity than talking about what Microsoft can improve. He's such an idiot.

Spitfire
25-05-06, 04:22
I liked the answer of Miyamoto [even though I'm a "Sony Fan"]. Didn't need to 'insult' any company to show his/Nintendo's poin of view.
From the 2 or 3 articles of this 'competition' of next gen consoles I see Peter Moore busier on trying to bash Sony with pure stupidity than talking about what Microsoft can improve. He's such an idiot.
my thoughts exactly, seems nintendo is the only mature console talking about itself rather than trying to hit hard spots on the other system...oh yeah JUST ps3 cause it looks like a threat.

DREWY
25-05-06, 05:37
I suppose Miyamoto realizes that imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
After all there is room for all...

Tomb of Legends
25-05-06, 06:10
MS sound like a bunch of moaning losers just because there console sucks. Get this MS, you didnt do ANYTHING new to help the Next Generations!

Live on Sony and Nintendo!!

Melonie Tomb Raider
25-05-06, 08:04
Nintendo are run by more respectable people than MS and Sony. MS is the worst though! They throw around insults like pillows at a teeny bopper pillow fight! It's ridiculous.

Sony usually don't insult, but they like to toot their own horn. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Sony fangirl (although I love Nintendo too!), but I admit their flaws. Still, it's hard to top MS, they're just downright cutthroat!

Tomb of Legends
25-05-06, 08:44
Nicely said Mel!

tha_mattster
25-05-06, 08:47
Microsoft, my god get a better spokesperson that guy seems so bitter and *****y. He says most gamers remember their old motion senser controller, well I play PC games have 2 consoles and frequently check games websites, but I never heard of that old controller!

UNDERTAKER
25-05-06, 10:27
MS sound like a bunch of moaning losers just because there console sucks. Get this MS, you didnt do ANYTHING new to help the Next Generations!

Actually, I don't agree.

MS added the whole concept of buying 2 console packages - a budget package and a premium package (something Sony have copied). MS also created a little thing called Xbox LIVE, an online hub where you can play games online, download demos, trailers and extra game content (something Sony have also copied).

Since MS where first on the market with their console, they where technically the first with Hi-definition support too.

Sony got the idea of a motion sensitive controller from Nintendo.

So if anyone has added nothing new to the next generation, it is Sony hands down :)

interstellardave
25-05-06, 11:02
LOL... people always forget that Nintendo, by their own admission, aren't competing head to head with Sony or MS. They aren't going to say much bad or good about either. They will talk about their stuff. Sony and MS on the other hand, are competing. Expect MS to have some chilly words to say about Sony and VICE-VERSA. People pretend Sony are some kind of Saints. Um, NO, they aren't. If MS is more negatively vocal about Sony, just realize that it's because Sony is the dominant force in the market. It's the little dog that has to nip at the heels of the big dog... not the other way around!

MiCkiZ88
25-05-06, 11:12
WEll said :D ^

So would it be better to have a ps3 with out those abilities? :rolleyes: I gues it would be a really bad idea... and sony is surely to bring some new things on ps3 aswell.. besides blu-ray..

interstellardave
25-05-06, 11:21
WEll said :D ^

So would it be better to have a ps3 with out those abilities? :rolleyes: I gues it would be a really bad idea... and sony is surely to bring some new things on ps3 aswell.. besides blu-ray..

I've been critical of some of Sonys decisions this time around. Some of them I don't personally like but it's up to the public as a whole to decide whether Sony has made any big mistakes or not.

With that disclaimer out of the way though, I've always thought that Sony will have some great things for us on the PS3. I would never doubt that! It's a good thing that MS and Sony are pushing each others' buttons. It would be a good thing for the entire industry, and us consumers, if all 3 consoles enjoy success. More parity between the 3 competitors means a hotter competitive drive in each, and that will equal better games for everyone! :D

meansizzler
25-05-06, 12:00
"At Microsoft we did the same controller six years ago - most people remember that," Moore said.

HAHAHA, that comment about the MS Sidewinder Freestyle Controller was hilarious, did anyone watch the eurogamer interview?...put sony fanboys/gilrs right in their place...I actually remember that controller, they bundled it with some Bike Game when it was released...

Found a Pic...this bring backs memories, anyoen rememeber Moto Racer?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jamshaeed/Images/sidewinderfreestylerpro.jpg

"Revolutionary! Control the activity in 3D action games by simply tilting the game controller. The SideWinder Freestyle Pro translates your body language into game movements for the ultimate immersive experience"

Take that Sony and Nintendo...

Thorn
25-05-06, 12:08
It looks like Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony are at war. Awesome! :D :p

Spitfire
25-05-06, 12:19
It looks like Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony are at war. Awesome! :D :p
and Microsoft at large...but when have they not been

Dingaling
25-05-06, 13:30
Awww, who wants to give Nintendo a hug? :D If anything, I wouldn't expect Sony or Nintendo to say anything bad about each other - they seem to have some R-E-S-P-E-C-T for each other. Go them! Wooo! On the other hand, M$ is being a bit *****y, but the comment at the end was nice: "Sony are a great company..." :D

interstellardave
25-05-06, 13:49
Awww, who wants to give Nintendo a hug? :D If anything, I wouldn't expect Sony or Nintendo to say anything bad about each other - they seem to have some R-E-S-P-E-C-T for each other. Go them! Wooo! On the other hand, M$ is being a bit *****y, but the comment at the end was nice: "Sony are a great company..." :D

Sony didn't say anything in those articles so postivity/negativity can't be attributed to them... and I still want someone to tell me what Peter Moore (who has complimented Nintendo many times himself) is supposed to say about Sony--the dominant market leader whom he is trying to catch? First he factually says they tried this same thing before and in their estimation it's not a good trade off by losing rumble. That's a valid opinion. And if any one of us had the same position he has, you'd mention the high price of the PS3 every single time a microphone was in your face! And if you wouldn't you'd be doing your employer a disservice! :p

illuminati30
25-05-06, 14:01
Jee more harsh words from Moore, get a life.
Thanks for article, just shows how jealous people get when a new idea is thrown into the mix.

No worries! New Avatar is cool :tmb:

illuminati30
25-05-06, 14:03
my thoughts exactly, seems nintendo is the only mature console talking about itself rather than trying to hit hard spots on the other system...oh yeah JUST ps3 cause it looks like a threat.

Exactly, and i hate that Microsoft are trying hard to associate themselves with Nintendo so much. They would just as easy turn on them if need be.

I see it as Nintendo has been in the business so long, that they keep their head down, do their own thing, and let the kids battle it out.

illuminati30
25-05-06, 14:06

Sorry i dont agree, the 360 is an excellent machine, and they made that available to people before the others. The 360 also offers something totally different from the other machines, so creidt where it is due.

Tombreaper
25-05-06, 14:10
Sorry i dont agree, the 360 is an excellent machine, and they made that available to people before the others. The 360 also offers something totally different from the other machines, so creidt where it is due.

Looks like the Japanese gamers stll aren't impressed by the macine, nobody buys it:(

illuminati30
25-05-06, 14:14
Looks like the Japanese gamers stll aren't impressed by the macine, nobody buys it:(

This is true, although i have no idea about sales figures exactly. Seeing as Sony and Nintendo are Japanese companies this is to be expected.

Plus, the console did not take off as expected at its launch, but a lot of time has passed sine then, and the 360 now has some excellent titles. You may well find it is selling very well world wide now.

Tombreaper
25-05-06, 14:20
This is true, although i have no idea about sales figures exactly. Seeing as Sony and Nintendo are Japanese companies this is to be expected.

Plus, the console did not take off as expected at its launch, but a lot of time has passed sine then, and the 360 now has some excellent titles. You may well find it is selling very well world wide now.

The xb360 is still not doing very well in Japan, and it's a fact MS will never do well there.
Japanese gamers are very loyal to their own brandnames, Nintendo and Sony will always outsell MS, by huge numbers.

illuminati30
25-05-06, 14:23
The xb360 is still not doing very well in Japan, and it's a fact MS will never do well there..

Do you know this for sure? Can you show me something that says so? I am just interested.

Japanese gamers are very loyal to their own brandnames, Nintendo and Sony will always outsell MS, by huge numbers.

That may be so, but you must never say that it can not change.

interstellardave
25-05-06, 14:24
The xb360 is still not doing very well in Japan, and it's a fact MS will never do well there.

And yet everyone tip-toes around the big "R" word... but that's what it is (at least in part).

Angel666
25-05-06, 21:12
Nintendo has been around for years and I kind of think of this whole console war as Nintendo being the Adult and Sony and Microsoft being the whiny kids who fight when one plays with the others toys that were meant to be shared.

Tombreaper
25-05-06, 22:01
[quote=Angel666]Nintendo has been around for years and I kind of think of this whole console war as Nintendo being the Adult and Sony and Microsoft being the whiny kids who fight when one plays with the others toys that were meant to be shared.[/quote

Okay:)

Mmm, Sony invented the heat seeking rocket at the end of WW II, sounds kinda motion sensor technology.
Not to speak about the transistor, making electronics possible.
Back then Nintendo was busy on creating wooden puzzles.
Who's the adult here then:)

Speaking 'bout whiny kids? MS anyone?

illuminati30
25-05-06, 22:03
[quote=Angel666]Nintendo has been around for years and I kind of think of this whole console war as Nintendo being the Adult and Sony and Microsoft being the whiny kids who fight when one plays with the others toys that were meant to be shared.[/quote

Okay:)

Mmm, Sony invented the heat seeking rocket at the end of WW II, sounds kinda motion sensor technology.
Not to speak about the transistor, making electronics possible.
Back then Nintendo was busy on creating wooden puzzles.
Who's the adult here then:)

Speaking 'bout whiny kids? MS anyone?

If Nintendo were in world war II i would call them SPITFIRE!

Tombreaper
25-05-06, 22:18
Spitfire??

How about Spiitfiire? They were even faster.

illuminati30
25-05-06, 22:19
Spitfire??

How about Spiitfiire? They were even faster.

blah you dont know the song! And you call yourself a TR fan tut tut :tea:

Tombreaper
25-05-06, 22:21
blah you dont know the song! And you call yourself a TR fan tut tut :tea:

No, right now I can't remember that much. I'm a bit tired:( :)

illuminati30
25-05-06, 22:24
No, right now I can't remember that much. I'm a bit tired:( :)

lol check up on it.

average stalker
25-05-06, 22:25
what the hell is so great about motion-sensing controllers? i find it as an excuse to charge more money for the controller.

illuminati30
25-05-06, 22:26
what the hell is so great about motion-sensing controllers? i find it as an excuse to charge more money for the controller.

Whats so great? emm it moves with you. lol

The controller comes with the console, which is cheap, it has add-ons if you want to buy them.

stereopathic
25-05-06, 23:00
sony obviously felt it was more important to add motion-control than to have force-feedback. they might feel threatened by nintendo's brave push into new territory and are trying to convince potential buyers into thinking it would be a similar experience.

sony isn't stupid. they must feel a little apprehensive about their own price tag. their motion-sensitive controller is probably a little bit ill-conceived, but maybe a necessary evil to capture as much of the market this christmas and next 1st-quarter as possible.

it's going to be a fantastic system for those who can afford to purchase one, but i'd be lying if i said i wasn't leaning towards the nintendo right now. especially after that hullabaloo over pre-owned ps3 games.