PDA

View Full Version : What are you all reading right now?

Elysia
15-06-06, 15:53
I'm reading 'Rat Scabies and the Holy Grail' by Christopher Dawes. It's excellent!

What about the rest of you? Any good recommendations? (I am a book worm, and so always looking out for new things to devour...)

Lavinder
15-06-06, 16:00
I'm reading The Two Towers :D

Elysia
15-06-06, 16:01
I'm reading The Two Towers :D
:tmb: Ahhh, a woman of taste, I see. Wise choice!

Rickéh
15-06-06, 16:03
Im reading nothing, im listening to music and im on MSN :)

Lara Croft!
15-06-06, 16:15
Nothing at the moment,except for your posts!!!!!

CerebralAssassin
15-06-06, 16:18
nothing mainstream LOL

G-Paul
15-06-06, 16:23
Holy Blood, Holy Grail

rika2
15-06-06, 16:24
"Darkover Landfall" by Marion Zimmer Bradley

LiquidKal
15-06-06, 16:24
Eldest by Christopher Paolini.

Not very far into it, and haven't actually picked it up in about a week, but I loved Eragon, so I know I'll love Eldest too.

Can't wait for the Eragon movie either :D

rika2
15-06-06, 16:25
Eldest by Christopher Paolini.

Not very far into it, and haven't actually picked it up in about a week, but I loved Eragon, so I know I'll love Eldest too.

Can't wait for the Eragon movie either :D

I was reading that too... Got bored while they were in the dwarf city. The first one was way better...

Cochrane
15-06-06, 16:25
Too bad the "this forum" joke has already been used…

I'm currently reading "Ben Hur" by Lew Wallace. I'm not very impressed by this book so far, so I don't really recommend it.

Janny
15-06-06, 16:30
I'm into sci-fi, so one of my fave books is Dune, but I love Lotr too, and read The Hobbit last year. I recomened all of the above, great to read, I spent many nights just reading and reading :D

Legend of Lara
15-06-06, 16:36
Im read'n Artemis Fowl n Official PlayStation 2 Magazine UK! :jmp:

Thorir
15-06-06, 16:54
Memoirs of a Geisha. :)

ace_85
15-06-06, 16:59
Finally got around to reading the Da Vinci Code, and I've been told that Anno Domini (by Richard Barakat) is also good, so I might check that out next :)

Lenochka
15-06-06, 17:03
hehe im reading this thread :p

actually im reading a resident evil novel

" Resident Evil: 0 Hour "

Jonnipants
15-06-06, 17:12
My palm.

Woooooooo.... o-o

Kamrusepas
15-06-06, 17:32
Amazingly, nothing. I've had such a hazzle for the past few weeks that I haven't had the time to go to the library.... But I think I will tomorrow :)

ILG49ers
15-06-06, 17:55
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring :yah:

I've seen the movies, but this is my first time reading the books! I'm on chapter 10 right now, and I'm liking it just as much as the movie so far! :D

Ampersand
15-06-06, 17:59
Good for you ILG, they're great books! :jmp:

I'm reading The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco and The Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie. :)

Sofitegan
15-06-06, 18:04
Pride and predjudice, by Jane Austen.

Mad Tony
15-06-06, 18:05
Doctor Who: the Ressurection Casket by Justin Richards (I think)

Lara Coft Baby
15-06-06, 18:28
Im reading "Battlefield of the mind by Joyce Meyer" Its really good so far

tr_mitch
15-06-06, 18:29
I wish i found reading interesting, but i'd rather watch a film... i have a low attention span.

Elysia
15-06-06, 18:29
I wish i found reading interesting, but i'd rather watch a film... i have a low attention span.
As I tell my girls - everyone has abookworm... you just have to find something that it likes to eat! :D

tr_mitch
15-06-06, 18:43
As I tell my girls - everyone has abookworm... you just have to find something that it likes to eat! :D
Lol.... i wish it were true, but i really dont think so... reading gets me angry... and so many pages its like why bother... im kinda lazy like that when it comes to reading, i wish i could just sit down and read, but i just seriously don't enjoy it.

VonCroy360
15-06-06, 18:44
A collection of stories by H. P. Lovecraft

CerebralAssassin
15-06-06, 18:45
LOL..like math for instance..it always likes that!

Budr
15-06-06, 18:57
Holy Blood, Holy Grail

After finishing reading this a few years ago, I was convinced that everything it said was gospel (:D) but after watching the Tony Robinson documentary on C4 a while back I've come to the conclusion that historians can take a source and glean whatever facts they wish from it, in order to back up their side of an argument. Still, a very interesting read, even if you discount everything about Jesus.

To everyone reading LotR, a serious question: do you not find Tolkien's writing style excruciatingly tedious? I'm a big fan of the books - read the trilogy once about 10 years ago and once again in the build up to the films - but I find the prose to be long-winded to the point of tedium and the songs are just a nightmare, although that's more a personal point. It seems every little thing that happens has its "establishing shot", as it were, which takes up about half a dozen pages of protracted description. Cracking stories though, nonetheless.

ATM, I am reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson and it is brilliant.

Ampersand
15-06-06, 18:59
Tolkien's prose is very flowery and descriptive, and it can get a bit boring - this happened most in the first book, when there was a lot of long-winded scene-setting - but at least he can write it well, very well indeed. :D There's nothing worse than a book that's both tedious and poorly written. :)

AnthonyShock1515
15-06-06, 19:02
Well, thos thread, It turns out its a very good read, I recommend it to youngsters, its quite short and the text is reasonably sized, I let a freidns read it and she thought it was amazing. There were so many twists and turns, who could know TLR was a penguin, and that Elens favorite colour was blue, when she lied to Ampersand and told her it was terracotta.

Its an excellent read and its only Ł9.99 in all major bookstores.:D

Elysia
15-06-06, 19:02
A collection of stories by H. P. Lovecraft
Lovecraft RULES!!

I really like Tolkien - although I do tend to skip the songs and Tom Bombadil now (because I knwo the story so well). Yes, the descriptions can be a little long winded (heh, never read the Silmarillion or Book of Lost Tales if you don't like long-winded explanations) but to me it only strengthens Tolkien's dedication to his world - it feels even more alive for having such a rich history.

Oh, and I read 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail' too a few years ago... interesting, but a LOT of assumption and opinion-disguised-as-fact as far as I can remember (I've read a lot of fortean-esque books over the years...) go for Rat Scabies' version, Much more entertaining!

Aww, Mitch... you know, I seriously cannot see how people cannot read. I love reading - it transports me to another world entirely. How can you stand missing out on that? Don't you look at the cover of a book and just wonder at the possibilities contained within?

tha_mattster
15-06-06, 19:04
Elsyia, i'm reading jayne eyre - if you were her governess would you use retalin on the brat? :D

Elysia
15-06-06, 19:06
Elsyia, i'm reading jayne eyre - if you were her governess would you use retalin on the brat? :D
Gods, I hated that book. I had to a study it for my A level. All I can remember is that Jane fell into a lot of ditches and we re-named Mr. Rochester 'Mr. Raunchester'....

AnthonyShock1515
15-06-06, 19:06
LOL Im really reading 'How to sue your mother' by Jaqueline Wilson

After that Im going to start reading 'Demi's first period' by Rhold Dhal

ChocChipCookie
15-06-06, 19:19
Better late than never.........The Da Vinci Code. LOVIN' IT ;)

larasguardian
15-06-06, 19:25
I just love sci-fi and horror:D
right now im reading : The Tommyknockers by Stephen King

Forwen
15-06-06, 19:56
If I was still reading books, I'd probably be off to the book store to get Pratchett's "Carpe Jugulum", but thanks to my state of mind (my "elitist" school long ago hijacked the rights to experiencing books on my own) I don't even care for one of my favourite authors.

Really, when this is all over, I'm gonna gather supplies, barricade this room, throw Eminem into the stereo system and read everything Tolkien-related I'll manage to find (yeah, you gotta hear it to believe it... Eminem's "The Marshall Mathers LP" is my unofficial soundtrack to LOTR).

Jamie18
15-06-06, 20:07
Just finished - IT - Stephen King for the millionth time.

Currently reading (Chapter 2 only) - Star Of The Sea - Joseph O'Connor

I saw it on Richard and Judy's book club ( :whi: ) and bought it, but only actually started reading it a few days ago.

After that I'm going to give Northern Lights - Philip Pullman (+ series) and The Gunslinger - Stephen King (+ series) another run-through .

The Cat Army
15-06-06, 20:25
Almost done with a book called "Vellum:The Book of All Hours."
After I'm done with that I'm going to read "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer.

xMiSsCrOfTx
15-06-06, 20:26
The Secret Life of Bees.

Betal
15-06-06, 20:28
the newest harry potter

sam_raider_05
15-06-06, 20:38
Deception Point by Dan Brown.

Pipolinne
15-06-06, 21:26
I'm glad this thread returned :)!

Deli,by Khushwant Singh

Vermelho ( Red),by Mafalda Ivo Cruz

And,just to remember how wonderful was Lucius,when he entered Hagrid's cabin,in order to tell Dumbledore he was no more H.'s headmaster,HP and the Chamber of Secrets :D!

Budr
15-06-06, 21:38
I really like Tolkien - although I do tend to skip the songs and Tom Bombadil now (because I knwo the story so well). Yes, the descriptions can be a little long winded (heh, never read the Silmarillion or Book of Lost Tales if you don't like long-winded explanations) but to me it only strengthens Tolkien's dedication to his world - it feels even more alive for having such a rich history.

I didn't really mind Silmarillion as much. I am quite a fan of that almost non-fiction, purely descriptive style of writing (some of Stapledon's work, for example). It was just that, at points during LotR, it felt as if Tolkien was having trouble deciding which style of book to write.

Lone Raider
15-06-06, 21:41
I've just finished Holy Blood, Holy Grail, and started to reread Talisman. I'm a bit of a Graham Hancock fan :) In between I read the Harry Potter series continuously :D

I skip Tom Bomadil, too. He's like a relic from "the Hobbit" to me and quite out of place, really. But I love Tolkien's style, and for once, I even like the german tanslation more than the original. German in that style is just wonderful. I recommend to everyone who can read german to give it a try some time :)

TR luver7
15-06-06, 22:38
The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks :) very very very good for u people that enjoy love stories

tlr online
15-06-06, 22:38
The Bourne Trilogy (Identity, Supremacy and Ultimatum)

Rivendell
15-06-06, 22:42
Revision notes, and more revision notes :cln:

I'll be reading LOTR again as soon as my exams finish though. I Love Tom Bombadil bits - I want his house! It's so cosy! Love it! Love it!

Paperdoll
15-06-06, 22:43
I was reading a book with short stories with Miss Marple... but since I don't know where that is, I might as well start reading another one. Any suggestions?