PDA

View Full Version : Official Metal Gear Solid Discussion Thread!

Mad Tony
16-06-06, 16:49
what do think of these games? what is your favourite? who is your favourite chracter? and prettey much anything else related to Metal Gear Solid!:D

For me:

My Favourite MGS game is the first one
My favourite character is either the ninja (Grey Fox) from MGS1 or Snake.

I think the Metal Gear Solid series are on of the best games around!

Thorir
16-06-06, 16:52
Snake is HOT and his voice is sexy. :D

I think EVA is my favourite character. :)

Alive_and_Funky
16-06-06, 16:54
I've played the first and the second so I'd say that I like them both as much as each other.
My fave characters are Snake, Raiden and Otacon.
Metal Gear Solid is one of my fave game series :D!!!

Mad Tony
16-06-06, 16:54
Snake is HOT and his voice is sexy. :D

I think EVA is my favourite character. :)

for me it would be the other way around with Snake and EVA! lol:p

Lara Croft!
16-06-06, 16:55
I used to watch my brother play the first game...I was too scared to play it myself....It is a great game!Whenever,the guards saw him,I was more panicked than my brother!!!And it had so many great guns....like Nikita!

Alive_and_Funky
16-06-06, 16:57
And it had so many great guns....like Nikita!

And the FAMAS :D.

Mad Tony
16-06-06, 16:59
but we can't forget the classic....

SOCOM!!!

Alive_and_Funky
16-06-06, 17:00
Has anyone played Twin Snakes?

Mad Tony
16-06-06, 17:01
Has anyone played Twin Snakes?

No, i haven't got a gamecube.

I think its just like the first MGS but with better graphics and the features of MGS2

Alive_and_Funky
16-06-06, 17:04
No, i haven't got a gamecube.

I think its just like the first MGS but with better graphics and the features of MGS2

That's right. I've never played the actual original but Twin Snakes is the one I have.

Mad Tony
16-06-06, 17:06
i've got the original!

It is the best!!!

you know Phsycho mantis?

when I was about 7, I watched my Big brother defeat him without using the cheat! apparently everyone else knew except him!

he was sweating like mad after that boss battle!

Alive_and_Funky
16-06-06, 17:08
i've got the original!

It is the best!!!

you know Phsycho mantis?

when I was about 7, I watched my Big brother defeat him without using the cheat! apparently everyone else knew except him!

he was sweating like mad after that boss battle!

I've managed to get a couple of shots at Mantis. I like it when Campbell tells you to plug the controller into control port 2.

Mad Tony
16-06-06, 17:18
I've managed to get a couple of shots at Mantis. I like it when Campbell tells you to plug the controller into control port 2.

I don't remember him saying that?

proboly because I didn't try shooting at him!

Alive_and_Funky
16-06-06, 17:19
I don't remember him saying that?

proboly because I didn't try shooting at him!

I called him on the Codec a couple of times and then he told me to do it.

Mad Tony
16-06-06, 17:21
lol, my brother is never one for calling campbell on the codec and asking for help, campbell normally lies!

Alive_and_Funky
16-06-06, 17:22
lol, my brother is never one for calling campbell on the codec and asking for help, campbell normally lies!

Just like:

Snake: Is they're something you're not telling me?

Campbell: ...

UNDERTAKER
16-06-06, 17:37
Favourite MGS - Metal Gear Solid (PSone)

Favourite character - Shalashaska aka Revolver Ocelot

TombRaiderLover
16-06-06, 18:28
My second favourite game of all time is Metal Gear Solid.

Mad Tony
16-06-06, 18:49
My second favourite game of all time is Metal Gear Solid.

then what is your favourite game of all time? (must be a tomb raider game?)

TombRaiderLover
17-06-06, 12:13
then what is your favourite game of all time? (must be a tomb raider game?)

It's Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

Don't worry, though, Tomb Raider is is my top five.

jackali
17-06-06, 12:21
I like MGS
it's a good game series

MiCkiZ88
17-06-06, 12:21
damn I love metal gear solid 1 and metal gear solid 2.. those are my favourites! heck Raiden wasn't bad at all.. but he seems a hellofalotta badder in metal gear solid 4 :D

TombRaiderLover
17-06-06, 12:27
I'll probably be playing 1 and 2 at my friend's house today.

jackali
17-06-06, 12:31
damn I love metal gear solid 1 and metal gear solid 2.. those are my favourites! heck Raiden wasn't bad at all.. but he seems a hellofalotta badder in metal gear solid 4 :D

aww, poor Raiden, he got raped

TombRaiderLover
17-06-06, 12:31
aww, poor Raiden, he got raped
*gasp*

jackali
17-06-06, 12:38
*gasp*

he did, in "Metal Gear Raiden: Snake Eraser"

Catapharact
17-06-06, 22:12
I am a fan of the original. IMO, nothing came close to MGS and nothing ever will.

The storyline of MGS just can't be contended with. Each character in the story provides so much to the whole plot that you really can't rule any of them out (...except maybe that worthless twit Otocon. There were time where I felt like just diving in the game and beat the living hell out of em.)

Anyway, each character had their own personal tragedy so you can't lable anyone totally good or totally bad. Liquid Snake felt disposed of, Sniper Wolf was trying to avenge her fallen people, Grey Fox wanted peace to his soul, and so on...

All in all, best game ever made.

dbot
17-06-06, 23:34
the MGS series is probably one of the most crafted game series around. I had to do a paper on Hideo Kojima, and he puts more thought into his games than most other developers/directors do. Each installment in the MGS series has its own theme, as well as broader themes that span the whole series.

Plus the attention to detail put in each game shows a real sense of craftsmanship. So much so, that when i dont see that kind of attention in other games, i feel a bit let down. (For example, in TR: Legend, when lara talks into her mic, but her mouth isnt moving)

As for me, my personal favorite is MGS3. When i first heard it was going to be set in the 1960's, I was a bit unhappy. Then I got the game, and played it through, and afterwards i thought it was pretty good, but not the best in the series by any means. Then one day i started playing again and paid extra attention to the storyline, and I was completely demolished by it. MGS3 is the second game to ever make me cry.

Metal Gear Solid is far and away my favorite game series, and I could go on and on about it. I love it so much that I would pay the 500-600 bucks for a PS3, even if i could only own metal gear solid 4. And I am not kidding.

Tombreaper
18-06-06, 01:42
Short answer: Best games (MGS series) ever.
Nothing can beat the graphics, gameplay, storylines, music, characters, attention to detail in the games etc etc.
Can't wait for MGS 4 and PS3:)

Alive_and_Funky
18-06-06, 14:57
Each character in the story provides so much to the whole plot that you really can't rule any of them out (...except maybe that worthless twit Otocon. There were time where I felt like just diving in the game and beat the living hell out of em.)

:vlol:

Legend of Lara
18-06-06, 14:59
I luv MGS! LUV IT LUV IT LUV IT LUV IT LUV IT!!!

TombRaiderLover
18-06-06, 15:00
I luv MGS! LUV IT LUV IT LUV IT LUV IT LUV IT!!!
When I read that, I thought of 'Unfabulous.' Or was that what you were going for?????

Legend of Lara
18-06-06, 15:09
"luv" is short for "love" :cln:.
I paticulary loved MGS3 and it's Snake VS Monkey mode. :jmp:

TombRaiderLover
18-06-06, 15:09
"luv" is short for "love" :cln:.

Urm, yes, I know.

Catapharact
18-06-06, 15:15
Errrr... back on topic:

Notice how perfectly Metal Gear Solid blends game play and story. Some of the game play concepts are just simply brilliant (such as finding Meryl's Codec Number on the back of the CD case.)

And as I said, you never feel that there is a useless boss or a worthless character in the game. They all proved so much to the story line. The speech given by Sniper Wolf while she was dying in the Snow Fields was just heart wrenching.

"Ok Hero... Set me Free..."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Catapharact/Wolf__s_End_by_radicalein.jpg

Legend of Lara
18-06-06, 15:24
Know what else I love about MGS? That guy who read your PSone's Memory Card's "mind". :D

Tombreaper
18-06-06, 15:24
The cutscenes in MGS3 look better than next gen Legend:cln:

Catapharact
18-06-06, 15:35
All of the MGS games have been way ahead of their time. I remeber finishing the Original MGS for PS and thinking... "Did I just play that magnificent game on PS?!?" Lol!

MGS 2: Sons of Liberty took things to a whole new level, give player even more a free form abilities to disable enemies (and using them in creative ways such as human shields, etc.) However, though this game excelled in gameplay, it lacked a good story.

Enter MGS: The Twin Snakes (A recreation of the original MGS with MGS2 graphics and gameplay.) Though it felt the same as the original MGS, some of the new actions and the new cutscenes (especially involving Grey Fox) were very welcomed.

MGS: Sanke Eater: Another Masterpiece which embodoes the soul of MGS1. Good storyline and brilliant gameplay (though I hated the concept of changing Camos.)

And thus I wait for MGS4: Guns of Patriot.

A little something for the masses:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Catapharact/wolfhound.jpg

Alive_and_Funky
18-06-06, 15:49
Notice how perfectly Metal Gear Solid blends game play and story. Some of the game play concepts are just simply brilliant (such as finding Meryl's Codec Number on the back of the CD case.)

I remember that bit. I was looking around the areas on Twin Snakes for 20 minutes until I remembered the picture on the back of the case.

MiCkiZ88
18-06-06, 15:49
Damn.. I just can't get enough of this game.. and metal gear solid 4 looks incredible!

Tombreaper
18-06-06, 16:03
Damn.. I just can't get enough of this game.. and metal gear solid 4 looks incredible!

Yeah, Hideo only wants this/his game on BD. Pity it's long waiting still.

Catapharact
18-06-06, 16:12
I remember that bit. I was looking around the areas on Twin Snakes for 20 minutes until I remembered the picture on the back of the case.

Ditto Lol! The man kept talking about a data disk and I was like "Huh?!" Lol!

Well a few characters in the series were a drad disappointment. Otocon for instance should be spending his days somewhere in a small apartment in Japan, planing his next trip to a anime convention and not taking part in a special ops. I mean look at the guy!

Otocon (in the game): "I just switch this on and pretend I am not here... It makes me feel safe."

Catapharact (outside of the game): *Twitch* *Twitch* Solid! Give me your Socom! I am blasting this Emo back to broadway!

Another disappointing character has to be Raiden. Uh Raiden... This ain't a fashion show. You are a soldier for God's sake! Go get a trim! And while your at it, resolve your issues with your girlfriend before siging up for a blackops!

Sheesh!

Alive_and_Funky
18-06-06, 16:15
I like Otacon and Raiden, but I know what you mean about Otacon not being suited to Special Ops.

Catapharact
18-06-06, 16:20
IMO, Those two turned a perfectly serious and thought provoking game into an anime misadventure (and me no likey anime.) MGS should stick with introducing the tough manly type.

Grey fox... Now THAT'S a cool character.

His lines... Man such poetry!

"I am like you... I have no name."

"Neither enemy nor friend. I am back from a world where such words are meaningless."

"Make me feel it! Make me feel alive again!"

dbot
18-06-06, 18:00
Another disappointing character has to be Raiden. Uh Raiden... This ain't a fashion show. You are a soldier for God's sake! Go get a trim! And while your at it, resolve your issues with your girlfriend before siging up for a blackops!

Sheesh!

I dont think Raiden was really a bad character at all.
An inexperienced, somewhat overconfident ("I feel like some kind of legendary mercenary" or something to that effect) soldier thrown into a situation like he was in that quickly grounds him and forces him to grow and mature on the spot. I think the main problem was that he wasnt Snake, and his situation with that *****, Rose. Plus he ties into the "soldiers as pawns" theme that the MGS series has. Notice how he was frequently uninformed, and got every question he asked someone else wrong. Literally every time he starts a statement with "So.....", it's usually responded to with "No...."

Plus, if you havent seen Raiden in the 15 minute MGS4 preview...holy hell.

Alive_and_Funky
19-06-06, 17:31
I wonder if a Wii MGS game will be released?

Mad Tony
19-06-06, 18:38
does anyone remember that part of MGS2, when your inside arsenal gear and the colenel starts harrasing you, and then he says " I need scissors, 61!!!

that bit made laugh head off!!

tr_mitch
19-06-06, 18:40
Raiden's awesome, he's more flexible and good at gymnastics, like a ninja.... im glad he'll be in mgs4.

Bit annoyed that Snake is so old... i dont think i'll enjoy playing an OAP.

Mad Tony
19-06-06, 18:41
Raiden's awesome, he's more flexible and good at gymnastics, like a ninja.... im glad he'll be in mgs4.

Bit annoyed that Snake is so old... i dont think i'll enjoy playing an OAP.

lol

Colenel: Snake, you must infiltrate the old peoples home and recover your medication, do not get spotted! if you do, you will be hit with walking sticks!

Alive_and_Funky
19-06-06, 18:43
lol

Colenel: Snake, you must infiltrate the old peoples home and recover your medication, do not get spotted! if you do, you will be hit with walking sticks!

Who's seen the trailer? The ending with Snake is quite worrying.

tr_mitch
19-06-06, 18:43
lol

I know! Sucks dont it.... My names snake and i have a weak bladder.

Catapharact
19-06-06, 18:46
I know! Sucks dont it.... My names snake and i have a weak bladder.

As opposed to seeing a 14 yr. old pulling off a black ops? Yeah... probably would last like 3 sec. in a gunfight.

tr_mitch
19-06-06, 18:50
As opposed to seeing a 14 yr. old pulling off a black ops? Yeah... probably would last like 3 sec. in a gunfight.

Black ops?

Catapharact
19-06-06, 18:52
I dont think Raiden was really a bad character at all.
An inexperienced, somewhat overconfident ("I feel like some kind of legendary mercenary" or something to that effect) soldier thrown into a situation like he was in that quickly grounds him and forces him to grow and mature on the spot. I think the main problem was that he wasnt Snake, and his situation with that *****, Rose. Plus he ties into the "soldiers as pawns" theme that the MGS series has. Notice how he was frequently uninformed, and got every question he asked someone else wrong. Literally every time he starts a statement with "So.....", it's usually responded to with "No...."

Plus, if you havent seen Raiden in the 15 minute MGS4 preview...holy hell.

Would like the man better if he acted more like a soldier. His presense in the game suddenly turned the whole story into the usual RPG Cliche (Guys with wacky hair carrying blades.) If he was a bit more streamlined into the part of a solider, it would have been better. I totally disliked MGS2.

Oh and yeah, he looks like quite the guy in MGS4. He finally matured enough. Still needs a haircut though.

Catapharact
19-06-06, 18:53
Black ops?

Black operation. Unsactioned by the government. Undercover infiltration is usually a key senerio in a Black ops mission. Its what Solid Snake did on Shadow Moses.

tr_mitch
19-06-06, 18:55
Still needs a haircut though.

His hairs fine!

Catapharact
19-06-06, 18:57
His hairs fine!

Try shooting straight with all that fuzz in front of your eyes. Style isn't an issue on the battlefied; Practicality is.

Even Hideo made fun of the man's hair with the "No where to hide" teaser trailer. Lol! Solid kicked the living daylights out of Raiden.

tr_mitch
19-06-06, 18:59
Try shooting straight with all that fuzz in front of your eyes. Style isn't an issue on the battlefied; Practicality is.

Even Hideo made fun of the man's hair with the "No where to hide" teaser trailer. Lol! Solid kicked the living daylights out of Raiden.

It's a game not reality.
Adds more to the character!

Catapharact
19-06-06, 19:02
It's a game not reality.
Adds more to the character!

I liked the MGS games BECAUSE of their depiction of Moden combat and POSSIBLE futuristic arsenel (DARPA indeed has actually developed Stealth Camoflauge and Exoskeleton suits, believe it or not.)

Actually I say it takes away from the character; Makes him look like a sissy boy (Which I doubt he is.) And then the argument with Rose... God what was Hideo thinking...

tr_mitch
19-06-06, 19:04
I liked the MGS games BECAUSE of their depiction of Moden combat and POSSIBLE futuristic arsenel (DARPA indeed has actually developed Stealth Camoflauge and Exoskeleton suits, believe it or not.)

Actually I say it takes away from the character; Makes him look like a sissy boy (Which I doubt he is.) And then the argument with rose... God what was Hideo thinking...
A sissy boy because he has long hair?

Catapharact
19-06-06, 19:06
A sissy boy because he has long hair?

Seriously, how many soldiers do you see with hair that looks like as it had gone though a bottle's worth of conditioner? Lol!

tr_mitch
19-06-06, 19:07
Seriously, how many soldiers do you see with hair that looks like as it had gone though a bottle's worth of conditioner? Lol!

How many soldiers do you see that are practically dying of old age... walking around with a beard?

Catapharact
19-06-06, 19:10
How many soldiers do you see that are practically dying of old age... walking around with a beard?

About 30% of black ops leaders are former Veterns above the age of 4o. They are usually called by the nickname "Old Dogs." After that, they take up central command to direct other special operations agent in the field. Being a black ops operative requires experience and tons of it and even then some of them aren't considered good enough.

Just play the Splinter Cell series. It will give you an idea of a more realistic look at Black Ops.

Hmmm, wonder where Melonie is. She can help put this in better prespective.

tr_mitch
19-06-06, 19:15
About 30% of black ops leaders are former Veterns above the age of 4o. They are usually called by the nickname "Old Dogs." After that, they take up central command to direct other special operations agent in the field. Being a black ops operative requires experience and tons of it and even then some of them aren't considered good enough.

Just play the Splinter Cell series. It will give you an idea of a more realistic look at Black Ops.

Hmmm, wonder where Melonie is. She can help put this in better prespective.

Don't worry about it, im just saying that just because Raiden has long hair doesn't make him any less of a solider. Thats like saying to someone 'your too tall, everyones gonna fill you full of lead'.

Catapharact
19-06-06, 19:19
Don't worry about it, im just saying that just because Raiden has long hair doesn't make him any less of a solider. Thats like saying to someone 'your too tall, everyones gonna fill you full of lead'.

Its more of a practicality issue. Trust me, as a black ops agent, you go though so much s*** that hair is the last thing on your mind. Now, if it was tied back out of the man's eyes. that would be a different story. With his long hair, a Sniper could probably pick him off a mile away.

Hmmm.... *Pictures Sniper Wolf putting a bullet though Raiden's head.*

Bonzai! Lol!

Alive_and_Funky
19-06-06, 19:21
Its more of a practicality issue. Trust me, as a black ops agent, you go though so much s*** that hair is the last thing on your mind. Now, if it was tied back out of the man's eyes. that would be a different story. With his long hair, a Sniper could probably pick him off a mile away.

Hmmm.... *Pictures Sniper Wolf putting a bullet though Raiden's head.*

Bonzai! Lol!

Is that why they cut your hair off in the army?

Catapharact
19-06-06, 19:24
Is that why they cut your hair off in the army?

A few reasons:

1) Yes. If you are without your helmet, you need to keep a low profile.

2) You don't know how long you are gonna be in the battle field and it could be a while before you have a bath. Long hair gets dirty and thus is unsanitary.

3) You don't get a chance to comb your hair often with bullets flying over your head Lol!

4) Short hair profile = Mind games. You look more tougher with short hair.

tr_mitch
19-06-06, 19:28
A few reasons:

BRING IT!

dbot
19-06-06, 21:22

Having short hair makes your upper body look bigger too. Or maybe thats what you meant.

Tombreaper
19-06-06, 21:50
Yah, snake has long hair, and it doesn't make him less tough.
Conan has long hair too btw.

G-Paul
19-06-06, 22:22
Don't want to get in between your dispute here, but I just wish to express my love for the MGS series(particulary for the first one).You guys pretty much covered all the good stuff so far......I for one, would like Kojima to attempt to direct a movie ....I can definately see this guy rivaling with Woo himself in the near future.
Favourite character.....the Boss.Am I the only one to find killing the female characters in this series rather disturbing!?It's a damn shame to see such beautiful ladies go to waste.K is an odd one....

Catapharact
19-06-06, 22:23
Having short hair makes your upper body look bigger too. Or maybe thats what you meant.

Right on Target.

Yah, snake has long hair, and it doesn't make him less tough.
Conan has long hair too btw.

Difference:

They both had it pulled back and tied away from their eyes thus allowing visibility. Another reason being both these warriors had to access to a barber shop for quite a while Lol! where as Raiden did.

BRING IT!

Alright Junior, I say this as an advice; Never challenge someone older to a fight.

Sun Tzu: "Always fight a battle you know you can win."

Forget about all that "Size doesn't matter" crap. Size DOES matter.

Catapharact
19-06-06, 22:24
Am I the only one to find killing the female characters in this series rather disturbing!?It's a damn shame to see such beautiful ladies go to waste.K is an odd one....

You aren't the only one. I nearly felt like back handing Snake when he decided to finish off Sniper Wolf Lol!

tr_mitch
19-06-06, 22:25
Size DOES matter.
I tell myself that every day :D

Apofiss
19-06-06, 22:37
Favourite? The first one of course! (havent played 3rd, eh..) Simply superb dialogs between characters! lol :D

Solid Snake:

You haven't even taken the safety off, rookie.

Revolver Ocelot:

I've been waiting for you, Solid Snake.

Gray Fox:

Hurt me more!

:D

dbot
19-06-06, 22:43
Favourite character.....the Boss.Am I the only one to find killing the female characters in this series rather disturbing!?It's a damn shame to see such beautiful ladies go to waste.K is an odd one....

the women of MGS are all incredibly strong, which is cool. Someone once said the best female characters are characters first and females second, and The Boss is probably one of the best female characters ive ever seen in any medium.

Even EVA knew what she was doing when she took out those guards when you first meet her, what with the blinding them and bandit shooting and all.

The Boss and Sniper Wolf are probably the better examples, I think

Catapharact
20-06-06, 00:47
the women of MGS are all incredibly strong, which is cool. Someone once said the best female characters are characters first and females second, and The Boss is probably one of the best female characters ive ever seen in any medium.

Even EVA knew what she was doing when she took out those guards when you first meet her, what with the blinding them and bandit shooting and all.

The Boss and Sniper Wolf are probably the better examples, I think

Couldn't flippin agree more. MGS women (Most of them anyway) broke away from the usual cliche of Bimbos in clad strappings or girly girls. They gave something more to the game that just a set of knockers.

I mean check the Dialogue out:

Sniper Wolf: "Don't you know that 2/3rd of the world's greatest assasins are women?"

Me: Dang! You don't say!

Mad Tony
20-06-06, 06:10
Gray Fox:

Hurt me more!

:D

that guy is very weird, but still, he's proboly one of the best chracters ever!

Jebus
20-06-06, 06:39
im a massive fan, my fav characters are Solid Snake, Solidus Snake, Big Boss (Snake from MGS3) and Boss

Alive_and_Funky
20-06-06, 15:11
I tell myself that every day :D

Catapharact
20-06-06, 16:24
that guy is very weird, but still, he's proboly one of the best chracters ever!

I second that. I find more value in him than Raiden. He is proof positive that manly men can be agile gymnists (His moved blew mee away, and I do Capoeira.)

However, he had to die. You can't keep reviving an old character again and again (refering to Classic MG games.)