PDA

View Full Version : Laura or Lara: American market couldn't relate to Laura - discuss

paulwork
17-06-06, 10:48
Hi Everyone,

I was watching again my Tomb Raider 1 Movie DVD and in the extras I was watching the EIDOS chief go on about how the American market wasn't able to deal with the name Laura, so they changed it to Lara.

Um - hello - what about America's "Laura Ingalls" from the Little House On the Prairie? The name Laura seems to be out there in America, so what's the deal? Is Laura such a really hard name to pronounce? Some comments from our American colleagues please?!

Yes, it's just a name, but I'm pretty sure there weren't many Lara's if you look back through English Aristocratic history / family trees etc... Not quite sure Laura was either, but why didn't they choose a nice Merchant Ivory Film-esque first name like Annabelle (ok Annabelle Croft was a tennis player, so maybe not) or something?

Changing the name in reality would of course be silly after 10 years - but I just don't see where they got this idea of Lara good, Laura bad...

Dingaling
17-06-06, 11:00
I can't really comment since I'm not American, but in a quite a pretty lot of interviews in America from video game websites and shows, they seem to say Laura anyway. Quite amazing really.

Rivendell
17-06-06, 11:02
That is So weird, I think I must have been watching the exact same thing at the same time you were paulwork O.o

Personally I didn't mind that they changed her name because "Americans couldn't say Laura" - it did annoy me however when this backfired and an Eidos official was talking about Lara as she is now, and calling her LAURA. . Damnit man, it's LARA !

young Lara Croft
17-06-06, 11:17
i prefer Lara! :D

VonCroy360
17-06-06, 11:38
I don't know about americans, but english isn't my native language and I have no problem pronouncing Laura...
Anyway, I'm glad they changed it, cause in my opinion Lara is a prettier name than Laura
:)

tha_mattster
17-06-06, 11:39
So americans cant say Lara? They always say Laura instead? Or is it the other way around?

Mona Sax
17-06-06, 11:44
I think that's nonsense considering that many Americans do call her "Laura". That name's not unusual at all. Heck, even the First Lady's called Laura (wouldn't be surprised if George W. Bush couldn't pronounce his own wife's name, though ;)).

jackali
17-06-06, 11:46
(wouldn't be surprised if George W. Bush couldn't pronounce his own wife's name, though ;)).
:vlol:

MiCkiZ88
17-06-06, 11:47
I prefer the lara croft name instead of Laura cruise.. wasn't that the original?

jackali
17-06-06, 11:49
I prefer the lara croft name instead of Laura cruise.. wasn't that the original?

It was Laura Cruz i think
I prefer Lara Croft also, but that could be because I'm used to it after hearing it and saying it and reading it for 10 years

BlackGrey
17-06-06, 11:56
Sounds like a commener with a name like Laura Cruz :p

jackali
17-06-06, 12:04
Sounds like a commener with a name like Laura Cruz :p

that's why they changed cruz to croft
cruz just didn't sound very aristocratic
and as croft, she blends in better with the british aristocracy

Lara Croft!
17-06-06, 12:08
Even though my name is Laura,for my heroine I prefer Lara with a slight pronunciation like Laura!

Lenochka
17-06-06, 13:18
To me it dosnt really matter how you pronounce a VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS name. She is fake. they could have named her " Madam janny propadopalopalas from the tomb of the cat food " if they wanted. im happy with lara. does it matter how you say it XD
To tell the truth the names sound so much alike it never really crossed my mind hehe....

annnyways continue...

Lara's Boy
17-06-06, 13:26
Hm....I have never had a problem saying Laura before....and several of my friends pronounce it Laura....I watched that interview, and decided I didn't like that man....he seemed overly arrogant without any reason to be. Oh well, as Lenochka said, at the end of the day she is a videogame character.

:wve:

L.C
17-06-06, 14:00
Since I spent half my life in the US, I can clarify that in America, Laura is pronounced as "Larr-a," whereas in Britain (and assumedly the rest of the world), it's pronounced more correctly as "Lorr-a." For this reason, they made the name Lara, which both Americans and British would pronounce the same, which is the equivalent of an American saying "Laura."

Hope this clears up any confusion.

:)

Rickéh
17-06-06, 14:18
My TR Pack it's say on the back:

The Laura Croft Tomb Raider collection
and on the front and the cd's there is Lara :jmp:

kewlkyle64
17-06-06, 15:17
I've lived in America all my life, and people are always calling her "Laura Cruft". It's really annoying. It turns out, over half of all Americans are overweight. And I know from living here that most of them are stupid idiots who don't know why their computer isn't working when the moniter isn't on. It's happened 5 times I've had to go to someone's house, they pay me 5 bucks, I turn on their moniter and leave.

EK-MDi
17-06-06, 15:23
I'm glad it went that way. "Lara" sounds so much nicer than "Laura". No offence to anyone whose name is "Laura" here.

Lara Lover
17-06-06, 15:48
I think Laura Croft is abit strange! lol. I prefer Lara! :tmb:

Jacob x5
17-06-06, 16:20
Laura sounds so much nicer than Lara. :cln:

Tomb Raider Master
17-06-06, 16:22
Lara for me. :)

Andrea Lara
17-06-06, 19:23
I prefer "Lara". I didn't know someone named Lara before. So, in my opinion it fits perfect to her. And I especially like names with 4 letters.

sweetPoison
17-06-06, 19:29
I think that's nonsense considering that many Americans do call her "Laura". That name's not unusual at all. Heck, even the First Lady's called Laura (wouldn't be surprised if George W. Bush couldn't pronounce his own wife's name, though ;)).

:D Bush can't even speak his own language, let alone think of what to say...in English! Look at this clip and see :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7fo98SzCGo&search=bush

Ooh...I prefer Lara!!

GodOfLight
17-06-06, 20:01
the worst thing i ever heard was when i was growing up in germany.

my german friends pronounced it:

Lehra Croft.

can you believe it? most germans think this is the correct american/english pronounciation. LEHRA (EH as in dAre) CROFT. i heard it in some of the movie trailers aswell. LEHRA CROFT. it always made me incredible angry :p

funniley enough, the cant seem to notice that in the games themselves it's pronounced beautifully:

LAAAAARA CROFT :D

Lara Croft!
17-06-06, 20:26
I'm glad it went that way. "Lara" sounds so much nicer than "Laura". No offence to anyone whose name is "Laura" here.

None taken!

sweetPoison
17-06-06, 20:40
None taken!

Oh!! I am guessing your name is Laura!! :D Hi.....Laura!! But can I call you Lara? :D :) :p

tha_mattster
17-06-06, 21:13
I've always pronounced her name Loobobo, but now you guys say I am mistaken?

Lara Croft!
17-06-06, 21:14
Oh!! I am guessing your name is Laura!! :D Hi.....Laura!! But can I call you Lara? :D :) :p

Go ahead!!!My pleasure!!!!;)

sweetPoison
17-06-06, 21:16
Hello Lara!!!!:D

Lara Croft!
17-06-06, 21:26
*looks around*Oh,you mean me????Hi!!!!!!:D

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-06-06, 21:55
Hi Everyone,

I was watching again my Tomb Raider 1 Movie DVD and in the extras I was watching the EIDOS chief go on about how the American market wasn't able to deal with the name Laura, so they changed it to Lara.

Um - hello - what about America's "Laura Ingalls" from the Little House On the Prairie? The name Laura seems to be out there in America, so what's the deal? Is Laura such a really hard name to pronounce? Some comments from our American colleagues please?!

Yes, it's just a name, but I'm pretty sure there weren't many Lara's if you look back through English Aristocratic history / family trees etc... Not quite sure Laura was either, but why didn't they choose a nice Merchant Ivory Film-esque first name like Annabelle (ok Annabelle Croft was a tennis player, so maybe not) or something?

Changing the name in reality would of course be silly after 10 years - but I just don't see where they got this idea of Lara good, Laura bad...

Whoever said Americans can't pronounce "Laura" don't know what they're talking about. In fact, most Americans with that name spell it "Laura". I agree that it sounds a lot more upper class than "Lara". I think Lara is a pretty name though, but still... Saying Americans couldn't pronounce "Laura" is complete bull.

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-06-06, 21:58

that's why they changed cruz to croft
cruz just didn't sound very aristocratic
and as croft, she blends in better with the british aristocracy

Well her original name was Cruz because she was intended to be latin. I think that's why she has brown hair and eyes as well, they stuck with it. Most game characters don't have brown hair and eyes unless thier Latin. Some do, but most don't.