PDA

View Full Version : Hehe feeling stupid but how do I become a moderator/administrator?

kewlkyle64
18-06-06, 04:22
Hehe... My family is moving to England, and I was wondering how I could become a moderator/administrator. As stupid as I'm feeling right now, I would like to know. Thanks!

Dante Croft
18-06-06, 05:14
First get your posts over 3000 that will give a big help.

mau3genius
18-06-06, 05:19
Hehe... My family is moving to England

Does that relate in some way to your question?

Apofiss
18-06-06, 06:24
kewlkyle64, new mods are invited by mods/admins. Members don't ask such a question I think.

scion05
18-06-06, 08:12
First get your posts over 3000 that will give a big help.

that shant make any difference ;)
mods/admins look for quality ;) and your helpfulness ;)

elliotcroft
18-06-06, 08:14
look at the faq

its not gonna happon theres not been a new mod in ages

jarhead
18-06-06, 09:02
well they look for helpfull poeple who are reliable and arnt gonna give the forum a bad name, and lets rememebr

'people who ask, dont get!!'

Volcano
18-06-06, 09:28
look at the faq

I beleivr Mona Sax became a Moderator a few months ago so a bit recent:D
Or am i wrong?

elliotcroft
18-06-06, 09:29
I beleivr Mona Sax became a Moderator a few months ago so a bit recent:D
Or am i wrong?that was a while ago

Rivendell
18-06-06, 09:32
Aww I live near England - can I be a mod too? ;)

Pipolinne
18-06-06, 09:36
I live in Portugal,and,if you're recalled,Portugal and the UK firmed a cooperation treaty back in 1343. So,may I become a moderator/administrator :tea: ?

jamieoliver22
18-06-06, 09:43
Yeah.. Asking wont get you anywhere...

elliotcroft
18-06-06, 09:46
can i be one?:elliotcroft

computer says no:all mods

Lara Lover
18-06-06, 09:50
I've read somewhere that asking to become an mod/admin will reduce your chances. ;)

elliotcroft
18-06-06, 09:52
I've read somewhere that asking to become an mod/admin will reduce your chances. ;)
thats what i was saying

scion05
18-06-06, 09:52
its true :)

plus youve only been here 5 mins :p

Amidala
18-06-06, 09:54
Such a question isn't appropriate.

Lara Lover
18-06-06, 09:57
Such a question isn't appropriate.

That's what I was going to say.

Because, You come to forums to chat about a topic. And, This forum is about Tomb Raider. Being a mod/admin is great but, I think you register to chat about something, Not to become a mod/admin.

elliotcroft
18-06-06, 09:59
CLOSE THIS AND WE WILL BE :cen: HAPPY!

Titanium
18-06-06, 12:13
Moderators are mainly chosen on many reasons, it doesnt really matter how long you have been here or how many posts you have been made.

They look for dedication to the forum, a helpful person, An active member etc. :)

Reggie
18-06-06, 12:17
If you want to be an admin or moderator then make yourself a forum and try running it, get back to us about how much you want to be an admin/mod then. (it ain't all that glamourous sometimes :p)

rika2
18-06-06, 12:49
you have to kill TRonline (or what's his nick) to become a Mod...

Ampersand
18-06-06, 12:51
Now now rika, don't give 'em ideas. :D

Angel_14
18-06-06, 12:52
I'm an admin. on another site, and I will tell the honest: IT'S BORING!!!! :p

EscondeR
18-06-06, 12:52
you have to kill TRonline (or what's his nick) to become a Mod...

Now no chance for you both :D :vlol:

Geck-o-Lizard
18-06-06, 12:53
Be consistently helpful and kind to other people, respect the forum rules, visit regularly, make sensible and meaningful posts... and don't ask to be promoted. ;)

EscondeR
18-06-06, 12:55

I'm a system administrator in my company, & I can say: Users make me :cen: CRAZY sometime!

Elysia
18-06-06, 12:55
No. Welsh people aren't allowed to be mods... :ton:

Do you know, by law I'm allowed to shoot you with a bow and arrow on Sunday afternoons?

*goes off Riv hunting with a calculating look on her face*...

:D :D :D :D

(this is when Elysia realises that Riv isn't actually Welsh (even though he had his location up as a famous Welsh town for ages...) and adds another line to the 'most embarrassing' thread that is going on elsewhere!!! :p )

Angel_14
18-06-06, 12:59
I'm a system administrator in my company, & I can say: Users make me :cen: CRAZY sometime!

I believe. On that site, some people makes me crazy too, I would ban them in a second, but I don't do it, because I don't have a really good reason... :P I just suffer them...

Elysia
18-06-06, 13:14
Yep - I'm a Global Mod on a Baldur's Gate modding forum, and I am constantly being badgered to sort this out, change that, tell him he can't sopeak to me that way etc, etc... when all I want to do is make innuenduous comments about swords.

:p

daventry
18-06-06, 15:16
:) I made a Thread just like this http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=56857

Theres a Member here who has 12 thousand Posts and still she's not a Mod. :confused:

Im kind and helpful and i make meaningful Posts, but i can sure as heck ask allot of Questions. :ton:

Legend of Lara
18-06-06, 15:20
Why exactly do you want to be a mod? Are you itching to close every topic and start a million polls? :confused:

Lara Croft!
18-06-06, 15:25
start a million polls? :confused:

I'd love to do that!I'd place a whole section just for polls,like in the South Park forums.A poll for everything.....:D

Legend of Lara
18-06-06, 15:29
POLL: Are you human?
POLL: Is your birthday today?
POLL: Do you play TR?
POLL: Do you like making polls?
POLL: Is this a poll?
POLL: How can I make polls?
POLL: Do my polls suck?
Lame joke (c) Legend of Lara. No rights reserved.

Lara's Boy
18-06-06, 15:30

:vlol:

Lara Croft!
18-06-06, 15:36

LMAO!!!!!!Nice ideas!Should I ever be able to fulfill my poll frenzy,you'll be vice president of the poll section!!!

daventry
18-06-06, 15:40
:vlol:

Why exactly do you want to be a mod? Are you itching to close every topic and start a million polls? :confused:
We have enough Excellent Mods, so i'll wait and see when i become one. :)

Lara Croft!
18-06-06, 15:49
Theres a Member here who has 12 thousand Posts and still she's not a Mod. :confused:

The number of posts or how long you have been around doesn't matter!And those 12000 posts could be from good old spamming!

I'm under the impression that when a forums starts,the one who creates it picks his mods and admin.And he asks for more if the forums are expanded or a previous ad/mod quits.

And even then,don't expect him to tell us..."hey everyone!i got an empty seat here....jump in for a job interview".

All the forums "staff" will talk about on who they believe it's suitable for the place and then they will propose that to him!

At least so I think...

Legend of Lara
18-06-06, 15:51
The number of posts or how long you have been around doesn't matter!And those 12000 posts could be from good old spamming!

I'm under the impression that when a forums starts,the one who creates it picks his mods and admin.And he asks for more if the forums are expanded or a previous ad/mod quits.

And even then,don't expect him to tell us..."hey everyone!i got an empty seat here....jump in for a job interview".

All the forums "staff" will talk about on who they believe it's suitable for the place and then they will propose that to him!

At least so I think...

Great point there. :tmb:

Lenochka
18-06-06, 15:53
Posts dont count i think it has to do with the type of person. They have to be helpful, None spamming & very reasonable people like the mods and admins we have now...

MiCkiZ88
18-06-06, 15:55
well.. One thing I've learned.. dont ask. listen.

daventry
18-06-06, 16:03
How true.

By the way, the Member is xMiSsCrOfTx (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/member.php?u=7099) who has 12 Thousand Posts.

Gambit37
18-06-06, 22:25
If you're asking the question, then you're probably an unsuitable candidate! ;)

I admin some other forums and believe me, I would never allow a new member to become a mod, and especially if they actually ask. It takes longer to build respectful, trusting relationships on-line than it does in real life. To be a mod, you need to have shown

1) Good quality, helpful postings (not quantity, that means nothing). Your signal-to-noise ratio needs to be very high, something like around 80-90% of your posts should be easy to read, useful, helpful, insightful. If the bulk of your posts are "Me too!" or "I dis/agree" type posts, you'll never become a mod.
2) An even temper
3) Rational decision making
4) Complete trustworthiness
5) No ego.

In my experience, people who ask to be mods want some kind of power and it isn't about that all. If you want to be a mod to have power, then you're completely unsuitable as a moderator.

Lara Croft!
19-06-06, 00:25
If you're asking the question, then you're probably an unsuitable candidate! ;)

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!

Tomb Raider 5194
19-06-06, 00:38
If you're asking the question, then you're probably an unsuitable candidate! ;) __________________________________________________ ______
In my experience, people who ask to be mods want some kind of power and it isn't about that all. If you want to be a mod to have power, then you're completely unsuitable as a moderator.
Very true, I think mods have to be nice people that know how to handle a situation, like in this forums, if you ask me there's no need for another, though it would be nice to have another :D. :tmb:

tlr online
19-06-06, 00:57
By the way, the Member is xMiSsCrOfTx (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/member.php?u=7099) who has 12 Thousand Posts.

And she is a great member, also. One of our finest.

There a many many qualities we look for, but there is one sure-fire way of not going about it, and that's asking. We are invite only.

It's also not as glamorous as you might think. We are no longer paying for the petrol for the free Ferrari's we give away to our mods and admins.

mau3genius
19-06-06, 02:04
It's also not as glamorous as you might think. We are no longer paying for the petrol for the free Ferrari's we give away to our mods and admins.
And I thought you were decent. There should be a manifestation on that. Petrol's really expensive these days.

DREWY
19-06-06, 02:15
:mad: Yes. TLR is right. I had to trade in the V12 for a boring old V8 Ferrari. Got tired of pushing it to the petrol station and begging for petrol. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/auto/car-smiley-003.gif

Thorn
19-06-06, 02:42
Being a moderator is all about responsibility. I'm a moderator at a skin care forum and hair care forum which I need to attend to a good lot everyday to help members in need, watch over threads, and make sure things stay civil and appropriate. So just letting you know what's expected of moderators. :)

PirateRose
19-06-06, 04:20
Do we have a list anywhere of all the postions. i'm curious to know what they are, I can't seem to find them in FAQ and Members List is turned off.

oh and to be on topic: darn, I'm too mean to be a mod. XD

Winston_the_butler
19-06-06, 04:33
One person I could see becomeing a moderator is someone like tha_mattster. He has a great sense of humor, always seems to post relevantly, and looks out for people breaking the rules. he hasn't even been here all that long, but I think he's shown a lot of those traits.

besides, we could all use a ferrari right? :D

-Winston_the_butler

Jacob x5
19-06-06, 04:37
look at the faq

That makes no sense. :ton: Surely, if we haven't had a new moderator fo a while, then, by your logic, we're due another very soon. :D

DREWY
19-06-06, 04:42
Do we have a list anywhere of all the postions. i'm curious to know what they are, I can't seem to find them in FAQ and Members List is turned off.

Look at "View forum Leaders" on the main page. (under Technical Support)

daventry
19-06-06, 08:28
Wow, theres allot of Mods and a couple of Admins i see there and i thought TLR Online and Elen were the only Admins.

I read somewhere that the Admin MCJ was a Test Program and not a real Person, thats why he has 0 Posts.

Heres a Joke Picture on what Admins and Mods can do on the Forum. http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1007/nukenoobs7ow.gif

kangaxx
19-06-06, 11:35

hehe...so moving it's a requesite,,,weird:):D

Mona Sax
19-06-06, 11:37
hehe...so moving it's a requesite,,,weird:):D
No, that's BS. Just be yourself and don't try to become a mod.

kangaxx
19-06-06, 11:40
No, that's BS. Just be yourself and don't try to become a mod.

i was been hironic Mona, you must know it's my kind of humor;)

Mona Sax
19-06-06, 11:41
Ah, okay. I see. :D

Natla'd
19-06-06, 12:43
Not only do I live in England, but I also have a pair of Lara Croft sunglasses, and my name is an anagram of "I Move Lara"! Surely moderating this forum is my birth right? I eagerly await my invite. ;)

Seriously, I'd love to know what living in England has to do with it. Does the OP think the admins the these forums are a bunch of xenophobes?

Jebus
19-06-06, 13:17
we dnt all need to be mods, let the mods pick themselves, anyway who says they need more mods/admins?:confused:

VonCroy360
19-06-06, 13:53
One person I could see becomeing a moderator is someone like tha_mattster. He has a great sense of humor, always seems to post relevantly, and looks out for people breaking the rules. he hasn't even been here all that long, but I think he's shown a lot of those traits.
besides, we could all use a ferrari right? :D
-Winston_the_butler

Personally, I think a mod should be an ultimate tr fan, he has to know about tr more than us; and, as far as I know, mattster only finished new-gen trs...
But if he wants, I would be more than happy to have him as a moderator...
I don't know what's so good in being a moderator... It eats all your free time...
Well, not that these forums haven't eaten all of my free time anyway...
:)

Winston_the_butler
19-06-06, 14:36
ah. you may be right. :D

Titanium
19-06-06, 14:39
I don't know what's so good in being a moderator... It eats all your free time...

:)

Yeah there isnt that much good about being a moderator. Theres only Supreme power, extra large pm space, Ability to move threads, Ability to lock threads, Ability to make sticky threads, Ability to edit posts etc....

Nothing atall really ;)

VonCroy360
19-06-06, 14:46
Yeah there isnt that much good about being a moderator. Theres only Supreme power, extra large pm space, Ability to move threads, Ability to lock threads, Ability to make sticky threads, Ability to edit posts etc....
Nothing atall really ;)

Looks to me someone want's to be a moderator...

And dealing with stupid threads and annoying members?
I'll just leave the dirty work for others... :cool:

Jamie18
19-06-06, 14:47

http://www.obscuremagazine.com/images/upload/Oprah13.jpg

We're giving away CAAAAAAAAAAARRRS!!

Titanium
19-06-06, 14:48
Looks to me someone want's to be a moderator...

What gave you that idea? :confused:

VonCroy360
19-06-06, 14:49

Oh, I thought these were Aston Martins...
Lost interest in being a moderator... :)

VonCroy360
19-06-06, 14:50
What gave you that idea? :confused:

It's just the passion that you have when talking about moderators... :p

Titanium
19-06-06, 14:54
It's just the passion that you have when talking about moderators... :p

What passion? :confused:
I was just saying the advantages of being a moderator, I wouldnt mind being one but im not passionate to become one :p

jarhead
19-06-06, 14:57
TBH i would rather be a memebr then a mod. i would hate to have any power over other people. i'll have to be with the majority of the people- and their the memebrs and not the mods/admins

Lara Croft!
19-06-06, 15:24
my name is an anagram of "I Move Lara"!

I can't believe you did that!!!!Trying to figure out how your name is connected to Lara!!!