PDA

View Full Version : Oilers send Final to Game 7

tlr online
18-06-06, 12:20
The Edmonton Oilers will play for the Stanley Cup Monday night after tying the Stanley Cup Final with an impressive 4-0 victory at Rexall Place Saturday night that erased a 3-games-to-2 lead for the Carolina Hurricanes and evened the best-of-seven series at 3-3.

Monday night (8 p.m. ET, NBC, CBC, RDS, NHL Radio), the Oilers will attempt to become only the second team in NHL history to rally from a 3-1 series deficit and win the Stanley Cup. The only other team to accomplish the feat is the 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs.

The sellout crowd of 16,839, the Oilers' 11th sellout of the postseason, roared from start to finish, clearly basking in the performance of the eighth-seeded Oilers, who moved to the verge of joining previous Edmonton teams anchored by the likes of Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier, to win the Stanley Cup. Should the Oilers complete their comeback Monday night, the Stanley Cup victory might well rank as the greatest achievement in franchise history.

Fernando Pisani, Raffi Torres and Ryan Smyth scored the goals for Edmonton and goalie Jussi Markkanen got the win, despite not seeing a great deal of action as the Oilers threw a defensive blanket over the Hurricanes, who hoped the surprise return of injured forward Erik Cole would provide a needed lift with Doug Weight lost to a right shoulder injury suffered in Game 5.

Cole played gamely, but there were no answers for the Hurricanes in this game as they were thoroughly dominated.

http://cdn.nhl.com/image-upload/oilers_goal_celebration061706_08x194.jpg

:jmp:

www.nhl.com

Catapharact
18-06-06, 12:25
Yeah I was reading it over this morning after glancing over the World Cup Stats. There was this pic of Stall having this shocked disappointed look on his face. It was priceless! Lol!

I am with the not-so-under underdogs Lol! Oilers! FTW!

Hybrid Soldier
18-06-06, 12:55
I honestly can't believe they were able to do that...Well, you never know what'll happen in the final game.

Catapharact
18-06-06, 13:00
Me Newbie to the whole NHL franchise so you guys have to help me out here.

Ok, correct me if I am wrong but Edminton has more veteren players in its roster as compared to Carolina right? Everyone thought it was all over for Edminton when they lost their gollie Rollison. (sp?)

Hybrid Soldier
18-06-06, 13:05
Me Newbie to the whole NHL franchise so you guys have to help me out here.

Ok, correct me if I am wrong but Edminton has more veteren players in its roster as compared to Carolina right? Everyone thought it was all over for Edminton when they lost their gollie Rollison. (sp?)

Yes, i think that is correct about Edmonton having more veteran players. I certainly thought it was over for the Oilers when they lost their goalie because he seemed to play so well it was a big hit to the Oilers when they had to pull Rolison out.

sweet_pea
19-06-06, 15:19
What?? Ice Hockey in June??? :D

average stalker
19-06-06, 15:45
i thought the Oilers were dead when their goalie went down. the oilers are playing the canes with balls and that's something my devils didn't do.

sweet_pea
20-06-06, 02:02
The Oilers could not even score with having two extra men during a power play :p Score is 2-0 Carolina with one more period to go. I forgot how aggressive ice hockey can be.

Hybrid Soldier
20-06-06, 02:04
What?? Ice Hockey in June??? :D

Yep! :tea: