PDA

View Full Version : Why the old controls?

Mr_X
18-06-06, 14:02
I don't understand why people still want the old controls back. They were good at the time the classic games were around, but they wouldn't work with today's technology. One of the biggest flaws many gamers had with the series was that it didn't evolve. It kept the same grid system for 6 games straight. Bringing it back would be taking a step backwards. Also why do we even need moves like sidestepping and the reverse roll? The analog stick in Legend already provides simple navigation. Why waste 3 buttons on moves that can be done much simply by moving the stick? AOD is a good example of a dated control system being used for a next gen game.

Many complain that Legend was too easy, but is that really the fault of a smoother control system? Prince of Persia has shown that you can have a simple control scheme and still have challenging acrobatics. We had simple controls, just no challenge in the acrobatic department.

The remake does need to look back to the original to make some improvements - the sense of scale and exploration as opposed to the linear paths, zero radio contact, variety in foes and puzzles that required you to think. But bringing back the old controls? If the remake featured every likeness of the original game right down to the footprints left in the snow, it wouldn't be a remake. It would be a port, just with prettier graphics. And in that case what would be the point when we already have the original game available to us to play already?

taika
18-06-06, 14:03
I'd also prefer they kept the new controls, well most of them, I'd want them to change swimming controls, and would want it to not have autograb

MiCkiZ88
18-06-06, 14:14
I prefer the new controls.. the controls are so smooth in legend. but swimming controlls would be nice to have back from classics.. and all those movements..

NightWish
18-06-06, 14:15
Who wants the old controls? I don't!You have very limited possibilities with them.

Lenochka
18-06-06, 14:15
because the old controls... are TR. TR is known for its clunky controls. I liked them. If there gonna make a remake of the original at least stay true to the controls...

Lara Lover
18-06-06, 14:18
I prefer the new controls. They're alot easier to handle than the old TR controls. I want to keep the new controls but, Bring back the fast run!

:tmb:

TR freak
18-06-06, 14:25
I prefer the new controls. They're alot easier to handle than the old TR controls. I want to keep the new controls but, Bring back the fast run!

:tmb:
Are they? I found old controls easier. She moves around much faster in legend and sometimes too fast you lose controls. Old controls were alot easier for me. Legend controls are also very easy but no more easy than classic controls. I dont really mind what controls as long as the game in general ends up really good. Swimming controls MUST return to classics tho.

Rivendell
18-06-06, 14:27
Old controls- much better, much more Tomb Raider. By controls I assume you're also meaning Moves? Her moves in Tr1-6 were signature to Lara, by scrapping them they were scrapping a Huge portion of the feel.

Lenochka
18-06-06, 14:27
Swimming controls MUST return to classics tho.

Indeed i hate the swimming in legend. it took so long to get use to using it that way. I love the only swimming controls... ^^

taika
18-06-06, 14:29
Old controls- much better, much more Tomb Raider. By controls I assume you're also meaning Moves? Her moves in Tr1-6 were signature to Lara, by scrapping them they were scrapping a Huge portion of the feel.
I want old moves with new controls, Well.. I dunno. I would like to be able to use the analogue stick but I don't mind if the guns jumps etc were the old ones [I am a PS2'er!]

TR freak
18-06-06, 14:34
Basicly controls should be square jump. Circle roll. Triangle draw/holster weapons. X action button. R2 Sprint, L2 crawl. R1 walk. L1 look. The basic controls should be classic like that and she should be able to jump far like old games. The analog stick should be used instead of d-pad like it was it classics.

taika
18-06-06, 14:35
Basicly controls should be square jump. Circle roll. Triangle draw/holster weapons. X action button. R2 Sprint, L2 crawl. R1 walk. L1 look. The basic controls should be classic like that and she should be able to jump far like old games. The analog stick should be used instead of d-pad like it was it classics.
sounds good:tmb:

Trigger_happy
18-06-06, 14:41
i like the new legend controls. the controls for 1 and 2 were soooo clunky and difficult to use. I much prefer the new controls, but maybe with the addition of a walk and look functions?

Rivendell
18-06-06, 14:42

*Nods head frantically* Yes Yes Yes. :D

I doubt it'll ever be on d-pad again.. Would like it if it was an option though.

BigR4444
18-06-06, 14:57
Who wants the old controls? I don't!You have very limited possibilities with them.

A lot of people with PCs, who have to use the Keboard and mouse prefer the old controls.......If You think about it, the old TRs were a lot easier to control using the WASD keys.........Now try imagining using the WASD keys on your computer to move Lara around on the screen......
As for any console people who prefer the old controls........???
ask them to explain.....

MattTR
18-06-06, 15:15
Because... I DON'T want "any" part of Legend or it's assets in a TR1 remake.

:wve:

I'm sick of Crystal Dynamics changing everything, especially things that were already perfect. I mean it's ok to change the controls a little bit but why use exactly what Legend has? Want them to add the Grapple next?

Cochrane
18-06-06, 16:43
The difference is in the basic idea behind the controls. In the classic controls, with my controller, I tell Lara what to do. Not where I want to go, but rather how I want to go there. In Legend, I tell Lara where I want her to go and she will do it. Telling Lara to go left doesn't cause her to turn to her own left (I tell her how to go), but instead going to the left seen from the camera (I tell her where to go). The problem with AoD Lara was for me that it tried to mix both concepts half-heartedly, but that is off topic.

My preference for the old control system is based on various factors:
1.) It took me a long time to get good with it and I certainly don't want to loose this achievement again (as I did with Legend)
2.) I'm used to the old way of doing things, Legend change of concept got me very confused at first
3.) I actually find the old concept more logical (but that might be caused by the fact that I#m used to it)
4.) I like being in direct control
5.) I prefer playing Tomb Raider with a joystick to everything else. There is no chance playing Legend with a joystick.

I could do with the Legend controls, but bringing back the old controls (possibly updated) would make me much happier.

Lenochka
18-06-06, 16:46
Because... I DON'T want "any" part of Legend or it's assets in a TR1 remake.

I'm sick of Crystal Dynamics changing everything, especially things that were already perfect. I mean it's ok to change the controls a little bit but why use exactly what Legend has? Want them to add the Grapple next?

Exactly CD have re-doen everything about lara. Her looks her weapons her controls even her Biography is now different. I already know there gonna mess this up to. There gonna add all this new legend crap in so it wont even be a remake... it will be like a whole new game just playing levels that look similar to TR1

keebz
18-06-06, 17:09
I really like the new controls. They are so much more convenient and easier to use. They make the game so fluid. Like the poster said, the old controls won't work with TR8. Except, I want the old swimming controls and the 'draw/holster weapon' button. Thats it. Don't fiddle with anything else.
As for the remake, I don't care if they put the old controls. I guess they'll have to.:)

shockwave_pulsar00
18-06-06, 17:26
You all do realize remakes are not exact replicas of the source material right(movies, music, and such all have changes here and there in them)? There WILL be changes made to TR:AE. New things will be added to the game(possibly weapons, levels, monsters, ect). The controls will be like Legend's and not like the original games. I know some of you don't want that, but Eidos would rather have 100,000 new gamers play the game, than just make the game please 10,000 or so old fans.

Anyways, there is something I have noticed about the complaints that some have made on this game that is funny. Some people don't want ANY changes to the game at all, just a graphical update.

They want the same voice actors, music, sound effects, no new guns, no new suprises, and the old controls. With all this complaining you would think they would complain about Lara now having a ponytail in the game, as the original didn't have one.

I love TR 1 and I can see why some get all upset over another developer remaking the game, but its not like CD is coming over to your house, breaking your original copy, and forcing you to buy there game.........*though that would be kinda funny* :D

Janny
18-06-06, 17:30
Old controls, old controls! I mean, it would only be fair to put in the remake the old controls.

Lara's Boy
18-06-06, 17:40
I want the smoothness of the new controls, but the same movement and style from the old ones, especially the ability to press a button and walk, press a button and look (without your guns being drawn the entire time, or using binoculars), and having to press a button to maintain a grip on a ledge.