PDA

View Full Version : Uncanny Valley

Tombreaper
22-06-06, 00:59
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_Valley#The_Uncanny_Valley_in_games

What do you think?

DREWY
22-06-06, 01:04
Cool. Remember see the Heavy Rain clip before, maybe late last year.
Very realistic!

Tombreaper
22-06-06, 01:11
Cool. Remember see the Heavy Rain clip before, maybe late last year.
Very realistic!

Yes, but according to the 'Uncanny Valley' principle this could become a problem in the near future.

Lenochka
22-06-06, 01:37
it kinda confused me...

Tombreaper
22-06-06, 01:56
It's a little confusing, here's another link:

http://www.thewiire.com/features/149/1/The_Uncanny_Valley_and_Wii

Humans find realistic-looking puppets creepy and unappealing:cln:

Lenochka
22-06-06, 02:00
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/otaku_tatu/692.jpg

" Take this still image from a PlayStation 3 game titled Heavy Rain. The woman character is called Mary Smith (quite the original name); the screen is produced in real time. This picture displays just how utterly powerful Sony's next-generation console is, with an almost lifelike woman aiming a cinematically out-of-focus gun before our eyes. The problem is she's a puppet without soul. Her tears, they seem so metallic; her eyes, too firm and unmoving, even for a still image; her face, too clean and without fearful scrunch. Some indescribable quality escapes this woman that makes her not entirely human; she is trapped in the Uncanny Valley. "

That explains it all right there. It is rather scary when you think about it... this pic of of the woman they are describing scares the heck out of me!!!!

Tombreaper
22-06-06, 02:03
ohhh i think i get it. Once they reach that point it will be a creepy concept.

Yes, according to the Uncanny Valley theory, we are going to dislike Lara when she reaches an in-game level of realism like the characters in the CGI movie 'FF The Spirits Within' for example.

Lenochka
22-06-06, 02:12
Yes, according to the Uncanny Valley theory, we are going to dislike Lara when she reaches an in-game level of realism like the characters in the CGI movie 'FF The Spirits Within' for example.

well i kinda thought about that for a while. I dotn think im gonna like lara in the next game. she is gonna be to Next Gen-ish. I never really thought about this idea in general though. its very interesting

stereopathic
22-06-06, 02:13
this is a very interesting concept and i completely agree with the notion that it will incite adverse reactions from gamers in the near future. when human models become so realistic that we stop seeing what is human about them, we wil be forced to confront the qualities that are noticibly inhuman. the problem is that we are probably many years away from having the capacity to program so thoroughly that we stop seeing the faults and start seeing the graphics as real again.

Prince of world
22-06-06, 04:43
very interesting :D

Mad Tony
22-06-06, 06:25
that picture of Tiger Woods actually looked real! it has to be real, hasn't it?