PDA

View Full Version : Men more jealous when wife or girlfriend is fertile

Catapharact
24-06-06, 18:05
Oh this is rich! :vlol: Ladies, would you like to conform this? ;)

Men more jealous when wife or girlfriend is fertile

May 2, 2006
Courtesy University of Liverpool
and World Science staff

Men become more jealous of dominant males when their female partner is near ovulation, and thus experiencing increased fertility, researchers have found.

The scientists said this may reflect an evolutionary mechanism in which males become more competitive during the prime times for mating.

Previous studies had found that women’s preferences for male appearance vary with their fertility, said the researchers, Rob Burriss and Anthony Little of the University of Liverpool, U.K.

During ovulation, when the ripe egg is released from the ovary, women tend to find masculine looking men more attractive and prefer their voices and odor.

During this phase, Burriss and Little said, past studies had also shown that women are more prone to have an affair with a masculine-looking man. Such an appearance is linked to high levels of the hormone testosterone, social dominance and good genetic qualities that can be passed on to offspring.

The new study, they added, has found that men sense this preference shift in their female partners and find masculine men more threatening during their partner’s most fertile phase.

The experimenters showed men images of male faces that were either high or low in “dominant features,” such as a strong jaw lines and thinner lips. The viewers were asked to rate each image for dominance, a dominant person being defined as someone who looked like they could “get what they wanted.”

The viewers normally rated the faces as more dominant if at the time, the viewer’s partner was near ovulation, the researchers found. But this effect disappeared if their partners were using oral contraception, in which case they would have been less fertile.

Participants were asked to provide information on whether or not their female partner used oral contraception and the date of her current or previous menses.

“Groups of animals, such as chimpanzees, can live quite happily together, but when a female is ready to mate the two dominant males within the group become rivals and fight for her attention,” Burriss said.

Mona Sax
24-06-06, 18:12
"No comment." - Eidos ;)

I don't know if guys are more jealous during ovulation - in my experience, most of them don't have much of an idea when that happens. :p

Catapharact
24-06-06, 18:17
in my experience, most of them don't have much of an idea when that happens. :p

Oh we know ;) Lol! I grew up around a household where most of my loved ones live close by.

Me got exposed to all sorts of stuff a guy shouldn't have had any business knowing LOL! (Everything from Leg waxing to... errr.... nevermind.)

Anyway, I guess its when a guy's spouce looks for a more stronger and better suited individual for her offspring that the husband/boyfriend in question starts feeling a bit... useless Lol!

Mona Sax
24-06-06, 18:24
Oh we know ;) Lol! I grew up around a household where most of my loved ones live close by.

Me got exposed to all sorts of stuff a guy shouldn't have had any business knowing LOL! (Everything from Leg waxing to... errr.... nevermind.)

Anyway, I guess its when a guy's spouce looks for a more stronger and better suited individual for her offspring that the husband/boyfriend in question starts feeling a bit... useless Lol!
You're lucky... (if you're a family guy, that is :p). Anyway, you should write a book, "The Female Menstrual Cycle For Dum..., um, Guys". :ton:

Catapharact
24-06-06, 18:29
You're lucky... (if you're a family guy, that is :p). Anyway, you should write a book, "The Female Menstrual Cycle For Dum..., um, Guys". :ton:

*Sigh* Someday...

*Pictures little Umairs and Salieah's running everywhere, and Umair sitting on the couch with a newspaper and earmuffs on his head.*

Lol! Anyway, Nah! Guys do know :). They just don't wanna get into the more "graphics" details involving the whole process Lol! But any red blooded male will surely help his spouce out during a rough cycle :).

Mona Sax
24-06-06, 18:32
*Sigh* Someday...

*Pictures little Umairs and Salieah's running everywhere, and Umair sitting on the couch with a newspaper and earmuffs on his head.*

Ear muffs. Yeah, right. :D

Lol! Anyway, Nah! Guys do know :). They just don't wanna get into the more "graphics" details involving the whole process Lol! But any read blooded male will surely help his spuce out during a rough cycle :).
That's a guy I have to meet yet... usually they're just disappointed they don't get any sex. :(

Wolfguard
24-06-06, 18:34
Facinating stuff. If I decide to date again, I'm sure I'll have grand time observing these subtle behaviors. :D

this effect disappeared if their partners were using oral contraception, in which case they would have been less fertile.

I'm actually worried about the long-term effects this has on humans in general. I mean, will consistant generational use of certain contraceptives cause groups of humans to naturally become less fertile due to unnatural suppression, or will the innate "will to survive" make humans even more fertile to counter that suppression?

Catapharact
24-06-06, 18:40
That's a guy I have to meet yet... usually they're just disappointed they don't get any sex. :(

There are those who love for love and there are those who love for lust alone. Thus I propose a penalty of castiration. I would feel much safe with such a law if I had a daughter Lol!

I'm actually worried about the long-term effects this has on humans in general. I mean, will consistant generational use of certain contraceptives cause groups of humans to naturally become less fertile due to unnatural suppression, or will the innate "will to survive" make humans even more fertile to counter that suppression?

A brilliant question. I would put that in the area of chemical castiration like that performed on petifiles and rapists to reduce their lust. However, contraceptives aren't as powerful as chemical inhibitors, so the old term "what doesn't kills you makes you stronger" may come into effect here.

Love the dedcution work Wolfguard.

Mona Sax
24-06-06, 18:45
There are those who love for love and there are those who love for lust alone. Thus I propose a penalty of castiration. I would feel much safe with such a law if I had a daughter Lol!
It's all in the mix, I guess. Lust without love is obviously useless in a relationship (good for one night stands, though), but love without lust is not worth much either unless both partners want it that way.

Catapharact
24-06-06, 18:50
It's all in the mix, I guess. Lust without love is obviously useless in a relationship (good for one night stands, though), but love without lust is not worth much either unless both partners want it that way.

Oh no doubt lust is part of every relationship. A healthy sex life is part of any good couple's connection (shows how much attractive you find your partner, and you make em feel that way.)

But you said it best, you can't build any support for just get it on like dogs and expecting deep emotional connection.

Jebus
24-06-06, 20:50
all i can say is 'interesting thread'

illuminati30
24-06-06, 21:03
I have heard of this before, and i believe it. Its interesting that when females all live together, their menstrual cycle is in synchrony with each other.

The conraceptive pill can make it harder for a women to become pregnant, for a while after she has stopped taking it, but in time it will go back to normal. I really dont think this will effect future generations. I mean the off spring of the mother, will gain the mothers genes, and if it is female, the daughter will have a natural cycle unless she chooses to disrupt it. You could make the same argument about every drug that inhibits a hormone.

However, i am not saying its not possible. Goes back the the whole, 'use it or loose it' thing, if you want to think in terms of the pituitary function being inhibited. People have been saying things like 'well maybe people will be born without this and without that in the future seeing as we dont use it anymore, the appendix being an example. But these tend to be on an evolutionary time scale.

However, the use of this drug is abused as many women are prescribed it for things like acne. However this drug could reduce fertility in the following way:

What i am about to say sounds totally insane.

Some people believe that the contraceptive pill is womans way of creating the modern man lol

Increased levels of estrogen are being found in the drinking water, causing males to have more female characteristics than before, making her man more 'understanding' of her needs. However, less fertile no doubt.

How does this estrogen get into the water? From the female's urine (those who take the pill) and into the water recycling system, and then into drinking water. Bingo, the modern man has been born! A strange theory, but possible!

http://www.emagazine.com/view/?176

illuminati30
24-06-06, 21:11
but love without lust is not worth much either unless both partners want it that way.

This is true, there has to be an attraction, otherwise it wont work, and the attraction can not be one way either. It ends up being unfair on the other person. Personality is most important, but attraction is also, it just wont work otherwise. I think most people have tried to date a 'nice' person, at some time, and said to themselves 'looks are not everything!' but it just does not work. Its true, looks are not everything, and they do go, but something must attract you to the person.

Have I revealed too much :o

Catapharact
25-06-06, 12:50
Hmmm... Don't think anyone would be able to handle a lover with looks and a prideful mind. From what I know, having such a partner would mean that you have to prove yourself "good enough" for them Lol! And usually some people aren't up for the challenge.

Meh...