PDA

View Full Version : Death and Harry Potter

Lonely Istari
28-06-06, 04:47
LONDON (June 26) - Author J.K. Rowling said two characters will die in the last installment of her boy wizard series, and she hinted Harry Potter might not survive either.

"I have never been tempted to kill him off before the final because I've always planned seven books, and I want to finish on seven books," Rowling said Monday on TV here.

"I can completely understand, however, the mentality of an author who thinks, `Well, I'm gonna kill them off because that means there can be no non-author-written sequels. So it will end with me, and after I'm dead and gone they won't be able to bring back the character'."

Rowling declined to commit herself about Harry, saying she doesn't want to receive hate mail.

"The last book is not finished. But I'm well into it now. I wrote the final chapter in something like 1990, so I've known exactly how the series is going to end," she said.

Some characters might die, but the blockbuster movie franchise lives on. Warner Bros. Pictures has announced that the fifth installment will be released in U.S. theaters, including Imax screens, on July 13, 2007.

In "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," directed by David Yates, the teenage Harry continues to battle the evil Lord Voldemort (again played by Ralph Fiennes (http://javascript<b></b>:;) ) and his followers. Daniel Radcliffe (http://javascript<b></b>:;) is returning as the title character, and Emma Watson (http://javascript<b></b>:;) and Rupert Grint (http://javascript<b></b>:;) reprise their roles as Hermione and Ron. Oscar-nominated actress Imelda Staunton (http://javascript<b></b>:;) plays the malicious, frumpy Professor Dolores Umbridge, who tortures Harry.

In her Monday interview on the "Richard and Judy" show, Rowling said people are sometimes shocked to hear that she wrote the end of book seven before she had a publisher for the first book in the series.

"The final chapter is hidden away, although it's now changed very slightly. One character got a reprieve. But I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die," she said. "A price has to be paid. We are dealing with pure evil here. They don't target extras do they? They go for the main characters. Well, I do."

Rowling is the richest woman in Britain - wealthier than even the queen - with a fortune estimated by Forbes magazine last year at more than $1 billion.

Whatever she writes next, Rowling is sure of one thing: It won't be as successful as Harry Potter.
"I don't think I'm ever going to have anything like Harry again. You just get one like Harry."

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/articles/_a/two-characters-to-die-in-final-potter/20060626140309990001 (http://news.aol.com/entertainment/articles/_a/two-characters-to-die-in-final-potter/20060626140309990001)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EEEEK!!!

madderakka
28-06-06, 04:53
I wish I knew what she meant by main characters but I have a feeling Malfoy is going to die and Snape isn't really evil

EscondeR
28-06-06, 04:54
She mentioned also that many writers kill their main heroes others not to write sequels ;)

Lonely Istari
28-06-06, 05:10
She is certainly revealing nothing here. It's definitely nerve wracking!

but I have a feeling Malfoy is going to die

NOOOOOOO!!! :( lol... he may be a son of a :cen: but I love that character! But I would OF COURSE rather him die over Harry.

Ugh this is just so scary! lol

GodOfLight
28-06-06, 05:14
yes, i 'm pretty certain harry will die. it's gonna be one of this christ-like-sacrifice-for-humanity type deaths.

other pop-culture examples are:

buffy dying at the end of season 5.

lara croft dying at the end of tr4 :p

killing the hero is always popular, just look at the bible and tonnes of other stories people follow and love ;)

anyway, i think she kills off too many people... its a bit too much of a pattern... but yes, i'm sure harry will sacrifice himself for harmione and ron or something. it fits to his over dramatic character.

madderakka
28-06-06, 05:22
If she kills off Harry some very ****ed off people are going to go after her. She'd better not go out alone at night lol

Mad Tony
28-06-06, 06:03
I wouldn't mind if Harry dies, it would be a good end to the series I think.

Angel666
28-06-06, 06:04
I love the HP books and I would actually love it if Harry got killed off. He annoys me alot actually. And as a few of you know, I am a rabid snape fan girl and if he dies JK will never see the end of my hate mail. I read this article earlier in the newspaper and was thinking: who's gonna die? I'm pretty sure Snape gets the repreive *knocks on wood* I think if Moldy Voldie isn't included than I think it will be Bellatrix and Lupin. I don't know why but I don't think Lupin will survive. Or it will be snape. Dammit, now I'm depressed.

Maureen Errant
28-06-06, 07:12
I would be seriously ticked off if Lupin died...................wonderful character.
and Snape as well..............love to hate him:D

Angel_14
28-06-06, 07:40
I hope everyone dies, except Ron, because he's cool :p

BlackGrey
28-06-06, 07:56
For once I'd like the hero to turn around and say, sod this I ain't dying for no one. ''You jump in the blackhole if you think it's so cool, I'm gonna get a cuppa.''

EscondeR
28-06-06, 08:10
yes, i 'm pretty certain harry will die. it's gonna be one of this christ-like-sacrifice-for-humanity type deaths.

other pop-culture examples are:

buffy dying at the end of season 5.

killing the hero is always popular, just look at the bible and tonnes of other stories people follow and love ;)

anyway, i think she kills off too many people... its a bit too much of a pattern... but yes, i'm sure harry will sacrifice himself for harmione and ron or something. it fits to his over dramatic character.

But Sherlok Holmes was to be brought back to life cause of many readers asked for continue of the stories :D ... So no 1 knows how it can be that time ;)

VonCroy360
28-06-06, 08:54
Well, she didn't say nothing in that interview that we didn't knew already; just that she left one character alive (which she meant to kill), and that extra two were killed...

I think one of the three will get killed off...
It's the pattern:
4th book: Cedric
5th book: Sirius, which is obviously more important character
6th book: Dumbledore, and none of the supporting characters is more important than him
7th book: Clearly someone more important than Dumbledore; and here we have only three characters...

Though I think it's stupid if she kills Harry off, that would mean Voldemort will live, and that is not a good end for the series...

:)

Apofiss
28-06-06, 09:04
Ah.. feels that Harry's death is almost inescapable, it should give a nice blast for incomes and outburst for already huge popularity. Wasn't there something about Harry saving his friend before his death?

VonCroy360
28-06-06, 09:22
Ah.. feels that Harry's death is almost inescapable, it should give a nice blast for incomes and outburst for already huge popularity. Wasn't there something about Harry saving his friend before his death?

There was that thing about Neville...
How maybe he is the chosen one, and not Harry, cause the prophecy wasn't really clear...
But Dumbledore already said Harry is the chosen one cause Voldemort made him that way...

ivannnnn
28-06-06, 09:30
I dont like Harry Potter..Silly story

Lara Lover
28-06-06, 11:34
Yeah, I heard about that. I'm alittle disapointed. I hope HP doesn't die. :(

Rivendell
28-06-06, 12:28
I think the people who might die:

Molly/Arthur
Harry/Voldemort
Snape, whether he's good or evil I think he'll meet his demise at Voldemort's hand.

Can't wait for book 7, but then it'll all be over! :(

Ampersand
28-06-06, 12:46
I hope Harry dies, the stroppy arrogant brat. :p

I want Snape to live though, he's one of the few interesting characters left and it'd be such a waste if he gets killed. I wish Sirius would come back from the dead somehow - a great character that was killed off prematurely, imo - but I doubt it'll happen :o

Pablo.CT
28-06-06, 12:51
There might be a massive twist that Harry is actually Voldermort in the future and he has to kill himself in order to stop Voldermort. Probably some wierd crap like that.

Sorry let me rephrase that, Voldermort is Harry in the future

Ampersand
28-06-06, 12:53
Hm, I don't think even JK could pull off something like that, though it'd be funny if she tried. :D

madderakka
28-06-06, 13:23
There might be a massive twist that Harry is actually Voldermort in the future and he has to kill himself in order to stop Voldermort. Probably some wierd crap like that.

Sorry let me rephrase that, Voldermort is Harry in the future
I don't think that's possible because she showed us Voldemort's childhood and parents.

jjbennett
28-06-06, 13:29
Frankly i don't care, if he dies then he does, only the films interest me, i can't get into the books at all.

J.

Ampersand
28-06-06, 13:32
I think it's getting to the stage where the films are more entertaining than the books - for me, the series slumped after the Goblet of Fire. Too much filler, too much teenage angst, too many pathetic crushes.. :o

jjbennett
28-06-06, 13:41
Lol i just realised thats the only book i own and i haven't even read the others. When it comes to fantasy i think films work better for me, things set in the rewal world i find a lot better to comprehend when reading.

I imagine if she does kill Mr Potter though we will have news stories of kids killing themselves.

Rivendell
28-06-06, 13:41
Man I'd hate it if it was Harry is Voldemort, it would make no sense.

Pettigrew owes Harry a debt, he has a silver hand. JKR said that Silver handed Pettigrew won't be killing Lupin the Werewolf, but there's the head Werewolf now isn't there- Fenrir ;) He'll likely attack Harry, and Pettigrew will kill him to return his debt..

Lonely Istari
28-06-06, 17:57
Well, she didn't say nothing in that interview that we didn't knew already; just that she left one character alive (which she meant to kill), and that extra two were killed...

I think one of the three will get killed off...
It's the pattern:
4th book: Cedric
5th book: Sirius, which is obviously more important character
6th book: Dumbledore, and none of the supporting characters is more important than him
7th book: Clearly someone more important than Dumbledore; and here we have only three characters...

Though I think it's stupid if she kills Harry off, that would mean Voldemort will live, and that is not a good end for the series...

Ack! :yik: you are right, there is a pattern of importance! And of the three Harry is most likely to be the one killed IMO b/c Hermione and Ron have to get married!! lol :D

Sirius Black
28-06-06, 18:06
I wish Sirius would come back from the dead

:wve:

Yunaīs Wish
28-06-06, 18:07
Spoilers:

But he still has to find and destroy the Horcruxes/Horrocruxes. Do you think he is one of them? In HP6 they actually deny it, as they say that Voldemort didnīt have a chance. And itīd be pretty stupid if Voldemort meant to destroy one of the pieces of his soul by killing Harry.:confused:

scion05
28-06-06, 18:08
Joy to the world harry's dead :whi:
im actually not bothered lol

egyptiangal
28-06-06, 18:16
I think it's getting to the stage where the films are more entertaining than the books - for me, the series slumped after the Goblet of Fire. Too much filler, too much teenage angst, too many pathetic crushes.. :o

same here, i've been reading the order of the phoenix for like a year now. i just cant get into it for some reason. But I think i need to finish the book before the movie comes out hahaa. I cant remember what chapter i'm on but i think its the chapter that introduces umbridge.

hahaha now i kinda want to read it. go figure:tea:

Lonely Istari
28-06-06, 18:22
Deb, You must finish! Or you are not going to the midnight show of OOTP with me! :D lol j/k. I don't even know if I want to go to the midnight show... too many cheesey teens and people looking for an excuse to make out behind you and distract you through the whole movie! :hea: sorry... bad experience at GOF's midnight show... :rolleyes:

It really is a good book. I know there is a lot of "teenage angst" and that, but I can't help loving the stories. We all went through those years... we can relate, right?

Lavinder
28-06-06, 18:23

I'm all for that though. I think she should even it out though to entertain audiences like you :)

egyptiangal
28-06-06, 18:38
too much teenage angst, too many pathetic crushes..

this part i will have to dissagree w/ u amp. i like the crushes and teenage angst... the problem w/ me is the books are now too damn big! :p

Lonely Istari
28-06-06, 18:40
i like the crushes and teenage angst...

Me tooooo! :D :jmp:

keebz
28-06-06, 21:23
Oh, I LOVE the Harry Potter books!!!!:jmp: I really don't want Harry to die!!:( I'm very sure that either Ron or Hermione will die, though. Thats so sad though, I don't want anyone else to die!!:(

jarhead
28-06-06, 21:32
oh i dont like harry potter. i cant stand them. i dont know why but the books are boring to me. i have onlt read 2 and they were very boring so i figured the rest will be. the films are a bit better, but nothing to jump about.

Elysia
28-06-06, 21:36
Harumph.

First she kills of Sirius, then she maims Bill and now Snape really looks like he might be as evil as originally thought! Who's / what's next?!

JK Rowling seriously has a thing against her own totty...

Ampersand
28-06-06, 21:45
We all went through those years... we can relate, right?

Nope, I can't relate in any way whatsoever. Harry just completely overdoes it imo. ;) Hermione and Ron seem to be following in his drama-queen footsteps. :p

Angel666
28-06-06, 23:13
Alright. Lupin and Snape are both miserable and alone so they must live to keep suffering. It's possible that Harry and Voldemort will both die. I just want snape to LIVE! :( Maybe Moldy Voldy will kill of Hermione and Ron to make Harry lose focus on destroying him. I just don't know. :( :(

Rivendell
29-06-06, 00:16
Spoilers:
And itīd be pretty stupid if Voldemort meant to destroy one of the pieces of his soul by killing Harry.:confused:

Not neccesarily: it's one of the reasons I think Dumbledore himself may have been a Horcrux: Think about the mentality, it would mean that Voldemort wouldn't be able to die unless Dumbledore was already dead ;) I'm sure he wouldn't mind quite as much to be killed (ok, he'd be pretty ****ed) but he'd be even less if he knew he'd bumped off Dumbledore first!

Angel666
29-06-06, 01:36
So your saying that Voldy put a peice of his soul, of himself, into the most powerful wizard in the world without him knowing it? Not very likely.

Yunaīs Wish
29-06-06, 01:41
I donīt want Harry, Ron or Hermione to die. Everyone else might die if Rowling wants. Please, donīt kill them or Iīll hate you:p *ok, Iīll be angry for some time, I wonīt hate you...much*

TRhistorian
29-06-06, 01:46
I predict I'm going to ball again.

After Dumbledor, I would hate to think who comes next.

I have a pretty good idea of how events are going to take place. And if she got rid of Dumbledor just like this; I'd imagine Harry, Ron, and or Hermionie going. The last book is going to have so many twists and I would not be surprized if Harry dies inthe fight with Voldemort.

And she is right, there will never be anything like what she has created ever again in history. Ever.

Lonely Istari
29-06-06, 03:50
Ok, this thread was a bad idea for me hehehe. I have not yet read The Half Blood Prince so I've just read some devestating info! :( Dumbledore??? How could this happen!! I'm sooooo sad now :(

Incase you were wondering... I am waiting for the book to come out on paperback and that is why I haven't yet read it. I have all of the other 5 in PB version and didn't want to by a hardback copy of HBP... now I am fully regretting that decision :( :( :(

Btw, does anyone know when the HBP will be out on paperback??? I've been waiting foreverrrrrrrrrr :hea:

kangaxx
29-06-06, 04:03
may be it's just me but,,,i don't see the extreme inportance in kill Potter!!
it's so easy in a fanfasy world to bring back heroes..even dead ones!;)
more easy will be in land of magic...
remeber how they kill Ripley from Aliens in Aliens4? they make a clone!
in Potter's case i am sure some kind of magic will bring him back again:D

Mary CF
29-06-06, 06:04

She didn't die at the end of TR4... as I recall they said that they would pretend AoD didn't exist, but that doesn't mean that TRL falls between TR1 and TR4.

If I'm wrong please quote a source that proves it, because I don't believe what you're saying. o.O

I also completely don't understand the phenomenon behind Harry Potter. I never found the concept very entertaining... but that's just me I guess.

Cochrane
29-06-06, 06:49
Btw, does anyone know when the HBP will be out on paperback??? I've been waiting foreverrrrrrrrrr :hea:

I think I recently read somewhere that it just did.

There are various points for killing off various characters.

Harry - Hero gives his life to save all the others, blablabla.
Ron, Hermione - The final fight Harry/Voldemort will only be cool if the others don't participate. Having Ron and Hermione dead is a very effective way to make sure that they don't interfere, and it also gives Harry some more emotions he can throw into the fight. Ron also is so opimistic (the kind of "When this is all over, I'll buy a nice little house") that killing him is a very logical thing to do.
Snape - Could he be the typical traitor that later redeems himself by dying for the great cause and allowing the heroes to escape?
Hagrid - I don't really believe in him dying. He was the main parent replacement for Harry in the earlier books, but over time, Harry and company have come to realize that while Hagrid is nice, he is not very bright and he isn't among their top friends anymore.
Ginny - Very obvious choice. Being angry about the dead of a loved one is always a good motivation for fighting. In fact, this option strikes me as too obvious, if it wasn't for the fact that it was explicitly mentioned at the end of HBP I would dismiss it.
Unimportant characters - Well, they're going to die. Lots of them. That might include Hogwarts pupils.