PDA

View Full Version : Ps3?

WhosaidAODwasbad
28-06-06, 22:23
I was wondering the PS3 was looking good! Then the price came out 500-600 dollars, ok its still somewhat resonable! But now I read that games could well be between 60-100 dollars! I am seriously changing my mind now! I remember paying 60-70 dollars, but come on discs are cheap even if its blu ray! anything between 50-60 is okay but 60 dollars is what you pay for collector editions and stuff like guitar hero if thats the case ok, but if games are 65-70 dollars looks like only 3 a year now!:( I don't like xbox but its looking quite entertaining!

viper456
28-06-06, 22:28
i would love to open a ps3 up for xmas...but the way the prices are going its not going to happen :( lol

where did you get the prices for the games? that seems a little steep even for the ps3 lol

Hybrid Soldier
28-06-06, 22:29
I was wondering the PS3 was looking good! Then the price came out 500-600 dollars, ok its still somewhat resonable! But now I read that games could well be between 60-100 dollars! I am seriously changing my mind now! I remember paying 60-70 dollars, but come on discs are cheap even if its blu ray! anything between 50-60 is okay but 60 dollars is what you pay for collector editions and stuff like guitar hero if thats the case ok, but if games are 65-70 dollars looks like only 3 a year now!:( I don't like xbox but its looking quite entertaining!

Then go with your instincts! Go with Xbox or the 360! It's the way of the future. Eventually everyone goes to Xbox. Hahaha. :p

viper456
28-06-06, 22:30
Then go with your instincts! Go with Xbox or the 360! It's the way of the future. Eventually everyone goes to Xbox. Hahaha. :p

haha in the past year i have actually got a xbox and a 360, so i guess this might be kinda true EEK lol

UNDERTAKER
28-06-06, 22:31
PS3 does look good, but there is no way Sony can justify the price tag.

Who cares about blu-ray? I certainly don't! All my movie collection is in DVD format! Blu-ray can hold more game info, but I guarantee that we will still be getting games which can be completed in 10-12 hours!

Who cares about 1080p? I certainly don't! The maximum resolution my HDTV can do is 1366x768 and 1080p TVs cost an enormous sum of money!

The system is only slightly more powerful than the 360. However, the PS3 is more difficult to program for so we won't see this extra potential for a number of years (like PS2). So this difficulty in programming sort of rubs out any head start the PS3 has.

I am really looking forward to PS3 (can't wait for MGS4) but I am so glad I have a 360 too. I think Sony have got such a struggle ahead of them.

Hybrid Soldier
28-06-06, 22:34
haha in the past year i have actually got a xbox and a 360, so i guess this might be kinda true EEK lol

Yep! I'm a Nintendo person, but after looking at the game variety between Wii and 360. 360 definatly wins because it has games i love to play...shooting!

Before i used to critisize Microsoft and how everyone has an Xbox/Xbox 360. Now i'm going to be one of those people soon!

viper456
28-06-06, 22:37
PS3 does look good, but there is no way Sony can justify the price tag.

Who cares about blu-ray? I certainly don't! All my movie collection is in DVD format! Blu-ray can hold more game info, but I guarantee that we will still be getting games which can be completed in 10-12 hours!

Who cares about 1080p? I certainly don't! The maximum resolution my HDTV can do is 1366x768 and 1080p TVs cost an enormous sum of money!

The system is only slightly more powerful than the 360. However, the PS3 is more difficult to program for so we won't see this extra potential for a number of years (like PS2). So this difficulty in programming sort of rubs out any head start the PS3 has.

I am really looking forward to PS3 (can't wait for MGS4) but I am so glad I have a 360 too. I think Sony have got such a struggle ahead of them.

Yup! and if thats the case waiting a year or two for the price to come down and better games doesnt seem that bad does it :)

Yep! I'm a Nintendo person, but after looking at the game variety between Wii and 360. 360 definatly wins because it has games i love to play...shooting!

Before i used to critisize Microsoft and how everyone has an Xbox/Xbox 360. Now i'm going to be one of those people soon!

i like the look of the Wii too! :D lol

WhosaidAODwasbad
28-06-06, 22:41
I love PS3 but its really going to bug if software prices are more than 60 I mean we spent the last ten years at the 50 dollar mark! Plus spending 600 dollars no way I will get the dumb down version thats a rip! If they can keep it down to 50-60 dollars that would be great Sony is has my loyalty for at least the next coming months just have to wait and see! Dang you microsoft for uping the price tags!!!!!!!!! Especially since what if I get a crappy game I thought 50 dollars hurt what about 10 dollars 20dollars more!

I don't think I could go xbox, no final fantasy, no Ratchet and Clank, no crazy japanesse games NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

DREWY
28-06-06, 22:42
I have a psone, PS2 and an XBox. I've been waiting for the release of PS3 before making up my mind between PS3 and a 360. But it looks like I'll have to sell one of my arms to afford a PS3 so I may have to go the 360 route.
(and playing 1 armed would cramp my style a bit) I need an unbiased opinion.

viper456
28-06-06, 22:43
I love PS3 but its really going to bug if software prices are more than 60 I mean we spent the last ten years at the 50 dollar mark! Plus spending 600 dollars no way I will get the dumb down version thats a rip! If they can keep it down to 50-60 dollars that would be great Sony is has my loyalty for at least the next coming months just have to wait and see! Dang you microsoft for uping the price tags!!!!!!!!! Especially since what if I get a crappy game I thought 50 dollars hurt what about 10 dollars 20dollars more!

I don't think I could go xbox, no final fantasy, no Ratchet and Clank, no crazy japanesse games NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

thats why im so angry about the prices :( i love final fantasy, and ps tends to have more fighting games! and i like that dort of thing! stupid console wars ! JUST MAKE ONE CONSOLE AND MAKE US ALL HAPPY! lol

WhosaidAODwasbad
28-06-06, 23:54
Exactly, I am kinda leaning towards the Wii if not the PS3 I love nintendo games just not enough third party support, like Tomb Raider! Doubt the 8th one will be one there just a pS3 exclusive maybe 360!:)

Sony, and nintendo should team up Link and Mario, Final Fantasy and solid snake on the same system the best system ever!

Agent 47
29-06-06, 01:13
for me price is irrelevant...my console loyalty is with Sony, so i'll get a PS3 for sure, you see i'm not the sort of person to abandon ship just because of tech failures and price...

what annoys me about console wars is the hypocracy......all the people *****ing about Sony are guareneed to be former owners who loved the system...until a new toy came along (xbox now 360)

i hear people **** off PS3, and yet these same people say how awsome MGS4 looks and will buy a PS3 anyway...man that sucks, you either like a machine/company or you don't

NOTICE: not having ago at anyone in particular, just had to sort out a similar arguement on my own board so i'm a bit peeved

Q: what's the deal anyway with buying a console just for a certain game, we now live in an age where "exclusives" no longer mean what they are meant to....i just find it odd, the future for exclusives will be done via the relevant consoles download service i feel, but in the shop games will have the same content

360 owners...DONT waste money on PS3, MGS4 will end up on it anyway

kinda funny really, one of my mods hates Sony so much i find it laughable:jmp:

TRhistorian
29-06-06, 01:30
Sony needs to get their heads out of this dream-world cash crop. They know alot of the biggest profits are from videogames and eventually that will end them up in profits going way down.

Honestly, how many parents would buy their kids a $600 machine with games that range from $60-80? I don't blame them for not buying them, its a waste. No one in their right minds are going to part with that money unless they are ready to go though a major money loss.

I can pretty much bank on the fact that nearly half the teenagers and such will not be able to buy this, its uncalled for. Playstation and Sony are about to go through some serious hurt when X-Box 360's are a little less than $400 now.

I can see the $200 for the PSP. Thats completely logical and a really good price for a movie player, mp3 player and a videogame consol and the other thousand things that PSP can do. What will PS3 do that we already haven't seen other than next-generation graphics, and besides the Blu-Ray mirror installed?

What Sony doesn't realize by basically giving the PS3 a hard drive, they have basically dug their own grave. The fault that Microsoft keeps making is that the X-Box is basically a computer. So what can you do to a computer?

Hack it.

I know loads of people who have hacked their X-Box's and 360's and basically turned them into a computer with over 5,000 games stored on them. Sony keep on reasuring the public that their system will not fall victim to this, but if something that Microsoft made can be hacked, what makes them any different?

Its the mistake that business competitors make, and this can relate to Legend. The desire to be better than the other ends in creating something basically the same, and eventually turns up biting you in the arse.

Microsoft has already won this year and I'm banking on the next. It is better to make something original than copy ideas and bend them and make something out of it, that can relate to Legend as well.

Tombreaper
29-06-06, 01:40
PS3 for me, I only trust Japanese companies (and Philips)

WhosaidAODwasbad
29-06-06, 03:26
Microsoft is winning the next gen wars because they are the only one but overall Sony is still kicking there butt with titles like guitar hero and god of War and there sequels and final Fantasy will put pS3 in a place were it can lose for a while until it gets second gen out! Unless PS3 is totall bug free! I don't really want an Xbox because its pushed towards shooters and online, PS3 is going online but I have no broadband service where I live! Backwards compatiblity angles towards me because i have abouy 30 or 40 PS2 PSone titles! I am scared of PS3 and Xbox but probably Xbox because many are declearing it not next gen just a step up! And PS3 titles look as good if not better than second gen Xbox 360 titles. Sony could blow them away in a couple of years with graphics and content! Hopefully in the coming months I can make a sure and confintent decision! Please post any articles about PS3 if you can or want in the coming months! I know lara will be a way to see which system to get especially if she goes semi-exclusive sony again!

Thanks

Mad Tony
29-06-06, 06:06
I have already pre-oredered the games and I am a bit miffed.
But Blu-Ray is the next generation in discs, I'm sure the prices will come down soon.

Prince of world
29-06-06, 06:12
I wait to buy Ps3 untill the price drop :D

VonCroy360
29-06-06, 09:45
Now that is a bit too much.
I think if they sell the console so expensive, the games should be cheaper...
Also, the Wii is quite cheap, but the games will probably be quite expensive...

Who cares about blu-ray? I certainly don't! All my movie collection is in DVD format!

Well, there won't be no DVDs in the future...
You'll have to buy yourself a Blu-ray or HDDVD player...

It's the way of the future. Eventually everyone goes to Xbox. Hahaha. :p

The why PS2(old-gen) still sells better than Xbox 360 (next-gen)?
:p

Night Crawler
29-06-06, 09:57
Well, there won't be no DVDs in the future...
Of course there will, some people have spent years building up thier collections, they can't be expected to just throw them all out just because something new has come along.

Most of the people I've talked to about blu ray turn their nose up at the idea and don't see the point. All it really offers is more disc space and it's not really needed for movie DVD's.

I know that DVD replaced VHS but I really can't see the same thing happening with Blu Ray.

VonCroy360
29-06-06, 10:03
Of course there will, some people have spent years building up thier collections, they can't be expected to just throw them all out just because something new has come along.
Most of the people I've talked to about blu ray turn their nose up at the idea and don't see the point. All it really offers is more disc space and it's not really needed for movie DVD's.
I know that DVD replaced VHS but I really can't see the same thing happening with Blu Ray.

I wanted to say there will be no more new movies coming out on DVDs...
but blu-ray and HDDVD players will support DVDs cause of old movies...
:)

UNDERTAKER
29-06-06, 10:33
I wanted to say there will be no more new movies coming out on DVDs...
but blu-ray and HDDVD players will support DVDs cause of old movies...

Provided that joe public actually accepts the new format...

VonCroy360
29-06-06, 10:59
Provided that joe public actually accepts the new format...

And who would want to stick to DVD if these two are clearly better and the price of the players will soon drop down...

interstellardave
29-06-06, 11:06
And who would want to stick to DVD if these two are clearly better and the price of the players will soon drop down...

The thing is that one of those 2 formats will win, not both. Sony wants me to act as if Blue Ray is the sucessor to DVD and commit to it right away (and commit to it with a PS3, which will be about as good a Blue Ray player as the PS2 is a DVD player--which means not as good as the cheapest stand-alone Blue Ray players will be!). No thanks. It just isn't prudent. If Blue Ray does win out I'll buy a good stand-alone Blue Ray player once they come down in price. I'll not be using a PS3 to play those movies anyway.

Cochrane
29-06-06, 11:20
With the current fight between HD DVD and Blueray, I expect that the DVD format will continue to live longer than originally expected. Until one of the two formats clearly fails or players that can play both become cheap enough, many people will avoid buying a player for either format.

VonCroy360
29-06-06, 11:26
I think movie companies will make movies for both formats...

If not, blu-ray wins, cause many people will buy PS3, and as the new format players are really expensive, they won't be buying separate video player, so blu-ray will have more players which means more people will want blu-ray movies...

interstellardave
29-06-06, 11:30
I think movie companies will make movies for both formats...

If not, blu-ray wins, cause many people will buy PS3, and as the new format players are really expensive, they won't be buying separate video player, so blu-ray will have more players which means more people will want blu-ray movies...

Not so cut and dry... HD-DVD players should be a lot cheaper--cheaper than the PS3 and easier to get ahold of during the holiday season. Might be more HD-DVD movies available too. I'm not buying into HD-DVD either though; in fact it's too early for me to pay attention to either format. During the holidays I'm going to start looking around, to get a sense of what's available for both formats.

UNDERTAKER
29-06-06, 11:32
Plus, the 360 will have an optional HD-DVD unit available soon. Actually, the 360 console + the HD-DVD drive is still cheaper than the PS3!!

interstellardave
29-06-06, 11:35
Plus, the 360 will have an optional HD-DVD unit available soon. Actually, the 360 console + the HD-DVD drive is still cheaper than the PS3!!

I'd be wary of the quality of that too (as opposed to a stand-alone player) but at least MS is making these things optional--which you would think to be a consumer-friendly approach. But they still get most of the hate while Sony can "do no wrong"!

Agent 47
29-06-06, 12:39
I'd be wary of the quality of that too (as opposed to a stand-alone player) but at least MS is making these things optional--which you would think to be a consumer-friendly approach. But they still get most of the hate while Sony can "do no wrong"!

that's odd, i seem to sensing alot of Sony hate...but there you go, i see the other side of the coin

people say "oh Sony can do no wrong"...erm regardless of my loyalty....they screwed up the PS2 launch,the first batch were faulty, power packs for a certain black slim-line model were faulty....yes folks Sony can do no wrong......NOT

people act as if Microsoft do no wrong and that they are the saviour of gaming.....Microsoft add something new to their machines it's fine and dandy,Sony add new stuf to their consoles and they get accused of ripping someone off or copying...hmmm...seems to me regardless of what console you support niether party can win......but the hypocracy is beyond belief....
"i loved Sony once...until Xbox came along" "i sold my PS2 to buy a 360 but why is that game not coming to this format?"..."tough no-one made sell the PS2 tis your own fault"......these are basic arguements and not my views.

it was mentioned that no-one will buy a PS3 due to it's initial price point, the other side to that arguement is if a person wants one bad enough they will, and to proove a point how many gullable saps paid double retail price for a 360 on e-bay quite afew i guess.........

the point is....no matter what console you have, enjoy the games that are on it but don't go crying to mommy when a game you really want is console exclusive and you happen to have the wrong console, and that works both way's

This thread has the potentential to degenerate into a flame war between pro xbox and pro Sony fans so i'm walking away.....as i say, just enjoy the games that you want to play on your chosen hardware.....i still think exclusivity sucks though...ON ANY CONSOLE:D

WhosaidAODwasbad
29-06-06, 14:41

Can't be positive about that, they said anywhere between 250-150 dollars so if anything it would only be fifty less than the PS3 60gb version! Plus microsoft has confused consumers of what there HD-DVD can really do at E3 Peter Moore stated that it would only be a movie player. Who wants to by an add on thats only a movie player?! PS3 can play Blue ray movies, and is all of the PS3 are only going to be Blue ray discs. Whether or not developers make all there games HD is still a question, because Blue ray can hold it but they don't have to do it. MOstlikely it will be hi-Def though. And many are on Blue rays side, I betting it will mostlikely win especially with all the support plus they will only have to use 1 blue ray compared to 2 HD-DVD discs for extra features on movies less Discs mean cheaper in the long run, And soon people will pick up blue ray or HD-DVD and PS3 is the cheapest way to get the blue ray, plus blue ray will play original DVDs and they will practically look in hi def. So there should be no worry like it was with VHS where you are like ah man I have to buy Star Wars on DVD again or BAtman! iTS STILL A big jump but it plays DVD's so backward compatiblity stops the DVD from automatically come obsolete!

I am still in question because both have great ideas and games, I no I can practically release the power of the PS3 because I have a HD ready TV that goes to 1080i not p but its enough. Plus the backwards compatiblity looks good considering playing final fantasy tactics from PS1 and Ratchet and Clank and TR legend in HD awesome!

WhosaidAODwasbad
29-06-06, 14:44
Hey I was about to sell my PS2 for an Xbox 360 but then I thought about it what am I going to loose all my TR everything Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, final fantasy! I stuck with Sony even though it sucked I finally got a good PS2 after the fourth or fifth one! Thats why always buy a one year warrenty from Gamestop!

interstellardave
29-06-06, 14:48
Can't be positive about that, they said anywhere between 250-150 dollars so if anything it would only be fifty less than the PS3 60gb version! Plus microsoft has confused consumers of what there HD-DVD can really do at E3 Peter Moore stated that it would only be a movie player. Who wants to by an add on thats only a movie player?! PS3 can play Blue ray movies, and is all of the PS3 are only going to be Blue ray discs. Whether or not developers make all there games HD is still a question, because Blue ray can hold it but they don't have to do it. MOstlikely it will be hi-Def though. And many are on Blue rays side, I betting it will mostlikely win especially with all the support plus they will only have to use 1 blue ray compared to 2 HD-DVD discs for extra features on movies less Discs mean cheaper in the long run, And soon people will pick up blue ray or HD-DVD and PS3 is the cheapest way to get the blue ray, plus blue ray will play original DVDs and they will practically look in hi def. So there should be no worry like it was with VHS where you are like ah man I have to buy Star Wars on DVD again or BAtman! iTS STILL A big jump but it plays DVD's so backward compatiblity stops the DVD from automatically come obsolete!

I am still in question because both have great ideas and games, I no I can practically release the power of the PS3 because I have a HD ready TV that goes to 1080i not p but its enough. Plus the backwards compatiblity looks good considering playing final fantasy tactics from PS1 and Ratchet and Clank and TR legend in HD awesome!

Yes, both systems will have hi-def games, up to 1081i. I'm skeptical about 1080p both because very few can take advantage of that anyway and I've seen where developers have said that it's a major resource hog to make games at 1080p. Most devs for both systems will make games 720p/1080i and leave it at that.

Also, I've seen regular DVD's "upconverted" to real High Definition and it's not pretty! On some really nice Televisions too. Better to play movies at their native resolution...

WhosaidAODwasbad
29-06-06, 14:50
Yes, both systems will have hi-def games, up to 1081i. I'm skeptical about 1080p both because very few can take advantage of that anyway and I've seen where developers have said that it's a major resource hog to make games at 1080p. Most devs for both systems will make games 720p/1080i and leave it at that.

Also, I've seen regular DVD's "upconverted" to real High Definition and it's not pretty! On some really nice Televisions too. Better to play movies at their native resolution...

REally is this an HD-DVD Player? I haven't even seen one of those yet, only the movies! Right Toshiba has an HD-DVD player out now and Samsung has a blue ray that just came out?

interstellardave
29-06-06, 14:55
REally is this an HD-DVD Player? I haven't even seen one of those yet, only the movies! Right Toshiba has an HD-DVD player out now and Samsung has a blue ray that just came out?

I think it was a DVD player converting the DVD's to High Definition... but there's no way around the fact that when you try to take something at lower resolution and display it at a higher resolution it can look mighty pixely. The bigger the image the worse it will look in my experience. I'm sure any HDDVD or Blue Ray player that is playing actual HDDVD's or Blue Rays looks fantastic though!

WhosaidAODwasbad
29-06-06, 14:56
A Question could you guys tell me what the high end XBox 360 comes with in the retail box at the store? And does anybody no what the high end PS3 will come with in the retail box? I no it will have a 60gb detatchable Hard drive and a Wifi and some other things but what about accesories, controllers, Free game?

Legend of Lara
29-06-06, 16:22
I'm beginning to doubt the Ps3's graphics. John Woo's Stranglehold used to look awesome but that was just pre-rendered crap. The in-game footage looks like a Ps2 game. Worse, the kickass Killzone trailer was pre-rendered also and won't even be released! :(

interstellardave
29-06-06, 16:26
I'm beginning to doubt the Ps3's graphics. John Woo's Stranglehold used to look awesome but that was just pre-rendered crap. The in-game footage looks like a Ps2 game. Worse, the kickass Killzone trailer was pre-rendered also and won't even be released! :(

Right you are! A lot of games that looked awesome very early on did not impress quite as much at this past E3 when obvious game footage was shown. Some "newer" titles did impress people but we still have to wonder "is it real gameplay or is it not?"

NOTE: I'm not bashing the PS3 it's just that, for the price they're asking, I'm sure as heck going to be extra critical of what they're showing. At that price I expect to see a significant difference between most PS3 and 360 games. If not then I expect Sony to price the PS3 the same as what I paid for the 360 (and they will get there eventually).

jarhead
29-06-06, 16:28
theres no way im getting a PS3. the graphics are ncie and all but there not very different to the xbox 360, and that the xbox is far chepaer. sony over priced the system and now the games. good for you if you buy one and enjoy it but i shant be for atleast a couple of years. too expensive, too over hyped and too pointless.

Legend of Lara
29-06-06, 16:35
I'm getting the PS3 soley for Sonic the Hedgehog. No, I won't swallow my pride and buy XBox 360.

interstellardave
29-06-06, 16:41
I'm getting the PS3 soley for Sonic the Hedgehog. No, I won't swallow my pride and buy XBox 360.

I fail to understand how pride is gained/lost by buying a PS3 and not buying a 360, or vice-versa??? :confused:

Agent 47
29-06-06, 17:06
theres no way im getting a PS3. the graphics are ncie and all but there not very different to the xbox 360, and that the xbox is far chepaer. sony over priced the system and now the games. good for you if you buy one and enjoy it but i shant be for atleast a couple of years. too expensive, too over hyped and too pointless.

correction..............Sony don't price games....the publishers and retailers do

your other points
too expensive.......agree
too over hyped.......no more so than the 360
too pointless..........if you say so, technology advances, FACT

EDIT: NO console is pointless,they serve a purpose, and ALL get hyped beyond belief.......all developers show their best footage at E3 NOT JUST SONY

Sony Microsoft and Nintendo ALL lie about what their machine can/can't do, they want our money simple as.:(

thompa89
29-06-06, 19:12
i think ps3 is ugly and they still have their ***** orginal controll
>>LOL<<

Hybrid Soldier
29-06-06, 19:15
correction..............Sony don't price games....the publishers and retailers do

your other points
too expensive.......agree
too over hyped.......no more so than the 360
too pointless..........if you say so, technology advances, FACT

EDIT: NO console is pointless,they serve a purpose, and ALL get hyped beyond belief.......all developers show their best footage at E3 NOT JUST SONY

Sony Microsoft and Nintendo ALL lie about what their machine can/can't do, they want our money simple as.:(

Agent 47!? Sweet! :D

I agree though. No console is really pointless. All have their own ways of doing things.

nickp364
30-06-06, 02:09
When did Sony say they are charging $100 for a game? It's probably going to be the same as XBox 360. ($60)

UNDERTAKER
30-06-06, 02:16

Sonic the Hedgehog is also being released for 360...

interstellardave
30-06-06, 16:06
Get used to Higher priced Blue Ray games too... check this out:

"PS3 Games Not Necessarily $59.99
Sony says higher price points are possible.

People were understandably upset when companies decided next-generation meant charging everyone $10 more for their games (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151823#) -- especially when the price was applied to last-generation ports like GUN (http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3141605) and Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3140295). Nonetheless, most have sucked it up at this point, but no one anticipated Sony (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151823#) would actually up the ante when PlayStation (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151823#) 3 dropped in November.

Yet SCEA president Kaz Hirai isn't promising a $59.99 price tag for PS3 games this fall. In an interview with PSM, the Sony leader explained. So, what I can say now is, I think it would be a bit of a stretch to think that we could suddenly turn around and say "PS3 games now $99.99" I don't think the consumers expect the software pricing to suddenly be double," he told the magazine. "So, if it becomes a bit higher than fifty-nine bucks don't ding me, but, again, as I said, I don't expect it to be a hundred bucks."

In other words, consumers should expect PS3 games to cost somewhere between $59.99 and $99.99. He doesn't expect them to be a hundred dollars, but it's only a "stretch" to expect it. Have we moved back to the cartridge ages here? Wasn't disc-based media supposed to make everything cheaper? I don't want to remember how much my parent's paid for several of Square's older SNES (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151823#) releases during Christmas.

Sony's cocky enough to price their hardware above the competition, but we don't seriously expect them to change consumer expectations for software prices. We hope."

Agent 47
30-06-06, 17:20
pure BS IMO, just another a cheap shot at Sony.....plus i bet the guy was misquoted

i can counter every arguement in that post...

for starters, places on the web that are already taking pre-orders on launch games have them listed between the region of $35.99 and $49.99....amazon for example ;)

i expect the most we in the UK will pay for games is £50 max.......it's the price of the memory stick thing that concerns me

so what if Sony are "cocky enough" to price above the competition....i don't see the problem, shows confidence in the product i guess....but as i say, it could be more friendly on the pocket.....we do so hate to spend money lol:D :mad:

interstellardave
30-06-06, 17:28
Misquoted? Those look like complete sentences strung together to me... sentences in which he is obviously implying that games will be higher than $60.00. Of course he's not going to come out and just say it but when you say "I don't expect it to be 100 bucks" what is he really saying? Why isn't he saying "they will NOT be higher than $60.00" then? Oh well, people didn't believe the rumors about how much the system was going to cost until Sony made it official.

As for Amazon or any other internet sites, since when do they know anything?!

Dingaling
30-06-06, 17:29
Sony always said that the PS3 would be expensive. And they've also said that they want the PS3 to be futureproof and if I remember correctly they wanted the PS3 to last at least 10 years.

Moaning about the expensive rip-off price and the moaning of people not having 1080p HDTVs is particularly - I don't want to say stupid, but it's the only word I can think of - stupid considering the warnings Sony did give on their PS3 product.

Altho', moaning is fun so moan away :D

interstellardave
30-06-06, 17:32
they've also said that they want the PS3 to be futureproof and if I remember correctly they wanted the PS3 to last at least 10 years.

True... and I'll believe them only if they don't release another system for 10 years (never gonna happen). :D

Agent 47
30-06-06, 18:10
True... and I'll believe them only if they don't release another system for 10 years (never gonna happen). :D

never gonna happen...............at a guess ill say

PS3 2006
PS3 Slimline 2009
PS4 Mentioned 2011
PS4 Released 2014

:jmp:

"As for Amazon or any other internet sites, since when do they know anything?!".................play.com pretty much have the same pricing also...£550 for a PS3 with 5 games i do believe

ah well..........but yes the other dude is correect in that the PS3 was alway's gonna be expensive...............the only part the bothers me is the fact we in the UK are unlikely to get the wallet friendly model which is unfair IMO, as for price of games, well i only buy games i want anyway so cost is irrelevant :cool:

xMiSsCrOfTx
30-06-06, 18:13
Jesus, $500-$600 is just too much. I'm sorry, but that's a lot of money, even though the PS3 is awesome, amazing and totally cool. :p Oh well... Maybe I'll get lucky and get it for Christmas or something. That seems to be the only way I would. And a possible $100 price for games? You've got to be kidding me! This better be one hell of a console.

interstellardave
30-06-06, 18:23
never gonna happen...............at a guess ill say

PS3 2006
PS3 Slimline 2009
PS4 Mentioned 2011
PS4 Released 2014

ah well..........but yes the other dude is correect in that the PS3 was alway's gonna be expensive

LOL, that's some release schedule!

And it's true Sony isn't really lying about it being expensive and all--but they do keep making vague statements. That's why I interpret their statements pessimistically rather than optimistically. It's like they want us to get used to the idea of paying more for the PS3 (and I think the games as well from that statement) but they want to keep us in suspense as long as they can. And that's good business because it keeps those on the fence thinking about the PS3--and not the 360 as an alternative.

Agent 47
30-06-06, 18:27
LOL, that's some release schedule!

And it's true Sony isn't really lying about it being expensive and all--but they do keep making vague statements. That's why I interpret their statements pessimistically rather than optimistically. It's like they want us to get used to the idea of paying more for the PS3 (and I think the games as well from that statement) but they want to keep us in suspense as long as they can. And that's good business because it keeps those on the fence thinking about the PS3--and not the 360 as an alternative.

the schedule was a mere stab in the dark.....wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be true hehehe

but yeah! i see your point in that they are being vague, but i'm sure the games won't be too expensive, that would be bad for business IMO :)

interstellardave
30-06-06, 18:31
the schedule was a mere stab in the dark.....wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be true hehehe

but yeah! i see your point in that they are being vague, but i'm sure the games won't be too expensive, that would be bad for business IMO :)

Believe me, I'd rather you be right than me! ;) I'll still wait for a system price drop even though it bums me out. I'm always an "early adopter" for all these kinds of things but this time I just can't justify it--not to my wife (all big purchases are mutually agreed upon) or even myself! :(

Agent 47
30-06-06, 19:22
Believe me, I'd rather you be right than me! ;) I'll still wait for a system price drop even though it bums me out. I'm always an "early adopter" for all these kinds of things but this time I just can't justify it--not to my wife (all big purchases are mutually agreed upon) or even myself! :(

i actually think that's a very sensible attitude to have...........it's cool that you and your wife make sound decisions together

KUDOS :cool:

interstellardave
30-06-06, 19:25
i actually think that's a very sensible attitude to have...........it's cool that you and your wife make sound decisions together

KUDOS :cool:

Thanks! My wife is cool too, because she likes video games and electronics of all kinds. She'd rather me buy her DVD's than a piece of jewelry! :)

UNDERTAKER
30-06-06, 19:43
Analyst: PS3 could be third

DFC Intelligence says Sony could "easily go from first to worst"; thinks brand strength, market position can't overcome $600 price.

In the next-gen console race, there are three main competitors: Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony. While many would love to see someone come out with some sort of "Everybody is a winner, hooray!" scenario, the simple truth is one company is going to be declared the loser. Though the finish line is still far down the road, industry analysts are already predicting who will break the tape and who will bring up the rear.

Sony has clearly been the favorite in recent years thanks to the unparalleled success of its PlayStation and PlayStation 2, but one analyst firm believes that the company may tumble down from the top of the heap. In a memo sent out today, San Diego-based DFC Intelligence explained how Sony could go from first to worst.

Though the memo contains the disclaimer that the prediction is "only one of several possible scenarios," DFC appears to be leaning towards Microsoft and Nintendo coming out on top through the next generation.
The main reason DFC sees a slide for Sony is the $600 price tag on the high-end version of the PlayStation 3. Though Sony has touted the machine as inexpensive relative to the hardware contained within it, DFC doesn't think consumers will see it that way.

"Sony has done very little to justify why the system is worth a premium price for consumers that don't care about raw hardware performance and are not hard-core audio/visual consumers," DFC said. "Unfortunately we believe that represents over 90% of the consumers in the marketplace."
DFC recognizes that software plays a large part in buyers' decisions, and points out that the PS2 was so successful because of its diverse portfolio of games and large third-party support. The broad range of software made the PS2 "a complete entertainment system for the family priced under $300," said DFC.

"With the PlayStation 3 the company is going after the high-end power user. It is almost as if Coca-Cola not only decided to go with a new formula, but also decided to exit the low-brow soft-drink business to go into high-end wines," DFC explains. "Of course, there is a market for high-end products but it is 1) a very different consumer type and 2) not nearly as big as the blue collar mass market. Wal-Mart sells more toys than FAO Schwartz and McDonald's sells more beef than Ruth's Chris Steak House."
There doesn't seem to be much of an easy way to right the ship either. According to DFC, Sony may have drastically underestimated the competition and will have a lot of trouble cutting the price, particularly in time for the critical 2007 holiday season.

"A $600 price point is okay for launch but it will not fly in holiday 2007. If Sony wants to drive unit volume 2007 needs to be not only the year of price cuts, but the year of drastic price cuts. There is going to be a shakeup in the video game industry and even if Sony executes perfectly there could be a new market leader in two years."

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6153458.html

Lenochka
30-06-06, 19:47
awwwwwwwww my poor sony : (
they might be the losers, I really hope not.

WhosaidAODwasbad
30-06-06, 21:57
Nice article Undertaker but you can't always believe the anaylist! Most developers are scared of the price, but if the power of the machine is true that it is maybe Two three times more powerful than Xbox 360 people will flock to it! These days Graphics aren't just going to cut it anymore its titles and exclusives and what your game system can do overall! 600 dollars is heft but if can do what they say I'll be willing to pay a price of a regular computer and get the PS3! I'll wait and see still searching all over the place! I know for sure that mostlikely the PS3 will be slow, but in a couple of years it could be the thing to get!

Tomb Raider 5194
30-06-06, 22:28
I hope the PS3 console goes well, I mean Sony must have something planned they wont just go down like that.:(

Lenochka
30-06-06, 22:32
I hope the PS3 console goes well, I mean Sony must have something planned they wont just go down like that.:(

Indeed im betting there hiding some features from us. They dont want to bring all the hype at once. they most likely gave us a little taste and will give us more...or so i think...

Legend of Lara
30-06-06, 22:58
They've already revealed tons of features but I think there's more. Maybe they'll later reveal an in-built coffee machine. :D

Hybrid Soldier
30-06-06, 23:01

I don't think so. If they keep the price at the range, i wonder if anyone will be buying one at all.

Myself, i'm crazy for video games but not that crazy to be paying that much.

UNDERTAKER
30-06-06, 23:08
but if the power of the machine is true that it is maybe Two three times more powerful than Xbox 360 people will flock to it!

Where on earth did you hear that? :vlol:

2 or 3 times more powerful than 360? Hmmm, no I don't think so...

Legend of Lara
30-06-06, 23:13

Sources have been saying that.

The PS3 will be 2 times more powerful than it's nearest next-gen competitor, the 360.
The PS3 will be 50 times more powerful than the current PS2.

WhosaidAODwasbad
01-07-06, 01:14
Several Articles rumors say that the PS3 is Two to three time more powerful! This is if the PS3 is fully unlockable power doubt full but no doubt the PS3 is more powerful than the Xbox all the xbox is an IBM on steroids!

kill bill
01-07-06, 01:15
it will be realased in x mas.ether this year or next.on news paper

Lenochka
01-07-06, 01:16

i heard somewhere in a news article that the PS3 made the 360 look like an N64 or something like that. It was stunning!

UNDERTAKER
01-07-06, 01:47
I think too many folks have been listening to Ken Kutaragi!

WhosaidAODwasbad
01-07-06, 02:03
No I looked at both specs Xbox 360 is good and can easily get awesome power, but PS3 is no doubt more powerful it will just be harder to harness the full capabilities. Which if they do, look out for Naughty Dog one of the best to do so in the business it will blow Xbox 360 away in some respects! You know in the long run I will either get a Xbox 360 and a Wii or PS3 and Wii there is no way I will pass up nintendo's console these gen. It is utterly awesome, mostly because of its price. Hey everybody loves Mario and Link!

Tomb Raider 5194
01-07-06, 02:15
Well yes I will certainly buy a PS3 and the Wii, because the PS3 is going to be something great no doubt about that. :tmb:

Legend of Lara
01-07-06, 14:12
The PS3 will by all means flatline the 360 but I honestly think it'll have a pretty hard time defeating the Wii. GameCube was pretty close to winning the current-gen war after all.

UNDERTAKER
01-07-06, 15:28
Quite alot of ridiculous statements are being made in this thread. I have no idea where folks are getting their info from but it really is wrong!

Agent 47
01-07-06, 15:39
Quite alot of ridiculous statements are being made in this thread. I have no idea where folks are getting their info from but it really is wrong!

yes i agree.....anything positive about the PS3 is wrong..... in the eye's of xbox fans....go figure :ton:

UNDERTAKER
01-07-06, 15:45
It's not that at all 47. I'm getting a PS3 too! So the more powerful PS3 is the better for me :)

But folks saying things like "Gamecube almost won the current gen war" and "PS3 is 2x or 3x the power of 360". It's just ridiculous and inaccurate. No offence of course :)

Yuna´s Wish
01-07-06, 15:48
What you say is true Undertaker! That info is wrong. I wonder which is the source. The gamecube would have never won the war. And the PS3 is superior but not that superior.

Agent 47
01-07-06, 15:53
It's not that at all 47. I'm getting a PS3 too! So the more powerful PS3 is the better for me :)

But folks saying things like "Gamecube almost won the current gen war" and "PS3 is 2x or 3x the power of 360". It's just ridiculous and inaccurate. No offence of course :)

no offence taken (i'm not easily offended lol) but you are quite correct about the Gamecube.....it is miles off PS2 and xbox, and basically it didn't stand a chance IMO....i do feel the Wii will perform better though.

and yes,the power of PS3 is in my opinion equal to 360...if it is better it won't be by much that's for sure :tmb: