PDA

View Full Version : If you could change just 1 gene in your body..

Jonnipants
28-06-06, 22:29
There's always something we inherited that we wish we could change about ourself. If you could remove 1 gene and remould it to your liking, what would it be?

I'd remove the gene that gives me a premature receding hairline (:hea:) and change it into a gene that gave me bluer eyes. :D

Hybrid Soldier
28-06-06, 22:30
My eyes. I need glasses probably for the rest of my life. I can't get laser surgery because the way my eyes are... As good as glasses look sometimes, it's annoying having to put them on and off and cleaning them.

Jonnipants
28-06-06, 22:40
Hmm yeah...I have a lazy eye...it only effects me when I'm very tired or full-up on food...o-o

I have to wear glasses when I eat or I can't see propelry lol....omg I sound like a freak.

tr_mitch
28-06-06, 22:43
Probs the fact that i have a fast metabolism... and i dont put weight on even though i eat a lot of junk food. I'm thin :(

I guess in a way im lucky in that respect... other than that i prob's wouldnt change anything else.

MiCkiZ88
28-06-06, 22:44
I dont know If I have the bald gene in me.. but if I do.. please I want to remove that.. and.. well not so sure what I'd want... maybe a smaller nose xD

Hybrid Soldier
28-06-06, 22:47
Hmm yeah...I have a lazy eye...it only effects me when I'm very tired or full-up on food...o-o

I have to wear glasses when I eat or I can't see propelry lol....omg I sound like a freak.

Yep, me as well. Good thing though, you don't notice it with my glasses on! :D

Probs the fact that i have a fast metabolism... and i dont put weight on even though i eat a lot of junk food. I'm thin :(

I guess in a way im lucky in that respect... other than that i prob's wouldnt change anything else.

Same here man. I had grew a huge amount and now i'm skinny! I'm 110 pounds! :(

Thorir
28-06-06, 22:49
I want faster metabolism. :(

And I don't want to be as muscular as I am...

pythontrainer
28-06-06, 22:49
id like to remove my stupidity gene, im sure there is one :pi: its just what ever i do, where ever i go, i look like a stupid young boy :(

Lenochka
28-06-06, 22:53
And I don't want to be as muscular as I am...
why would you wantto change that!? I think you look great ;)

I dont know If I have the bald gene in me.. but if I do.. please I want to remove that.. and.. well not so sure what I'd want... maybe a smaller nose xD
Your nose is fine cloud... ;)

me well... Hmm lets see... I like who i am. i wouldnt change a thing... ^^

Jonnipants
28-06-06, 22:56

I have the exact gene...how can you complain? I love it

Hybrid Soldier
28-06-06, 23:00
I have the exact gene...how can you complain? I love it

For me, it kind of makes me look like i'm anorexic... like i don't eat or something. I don't want people to think that's what i am.

Jonnipants
28-06-06, 23:05
ohh that's fair enough. I'm just happy with my metab...it;s fast but I'm not too skinny...if i eat too healthy then i become skinny, right now I'm just slim and toned. :D gotta like something about yourself though, right?

I can think of many more flaws ¬¬

xMyrax
28-06-06, 23:11
No idea actually, I'm happy with the way I am xD I might want to change something but right now I cant think of anything

Hybrid Soldier
28-06-06, 23:13
Yep, not that i hate it either, but for my age i'm skinny. Me too, i eat healthy.

Pff, i can't think of anything i enjoy about myself at the moment. :p

Catapharact
29-06-06, 00:46
I gotta say (and mods... this is my personal observation.)

This forum really has the wimpiest bunch of guys I have seen. My recommendation... Don't get involved in a relationship; You'll get hen pecked to death. Man, I am too muscular?! My Nose is too long?! Huh?!?!

Even TR Mitch, who is gay, quite admitted that he is too skinny and needs to gain weight.

Guys... You are GUYS!!!! As in MEN! You have been granted the genetic gift of strength and dexterity... Why would you wanna give it up? Some women wish they had that gift. Wishing you were skinny or so forth really indicates anorexia, and wanting smaller noses... Well... you are taking the Michael Jackson path.

Be happy with who you are. Have some blatent confidence for God sakes...

Me personally... Quite happy with what I am (Duh! 140 pounds of pure strength Lol!)

tr_mitch
29-06-06, 00:47
I gotta say (and mods... this is my personal observation.)

This forum really has the wimpiest bunch of guys I have seen. My recommendation... Don't get involved in a relationship; You'll get hen pecked to death. Man, I am too muscular?! My Nose is too long?! Huh?!?!

Even TR Mitch, who is gay, quite admitted that he is too skinny and needs to gain weight.

Guys... You are GUYS!!!! As in MEN! You have been granted the genetic gift of strength and dexterity... Why would you wanna give it up? Some women wish they had that gift. Wishing you were skinny or so forth really indicates anorexia, and wanting smaller noses... Well... you are taking the Michael Jackson path.

Be happy with who you are. Have some blatent confidence for God sakes...

Me personally... Quite happy with what I am (Duh! 140 pounds of pure strength Lol!)

I'm not gay?

Catapharact
29-06-06, 00:50
I'm not gay?

Sorry... Bisexual.

CerebralAssassin
29-06-06, 00:51
Wishing you were skinny or so forth really indicates anorexia

nope..I wish I was like Batista...so you can say I'm the exact opposite:D

and wanting smaller noses... Well... you are taking the Michael Jackson path.

LOL..I think I have a big nose too but would never do what that guy did :D

tr_mitch
29-06-06, 00:53
This is sexism at it's strongest.... how many guys do you see in a beauty pageant? and yet there are more males taking part than females.... plus people dont have to live up to the steriotypical 'big strong guy' we aint living in the 90's anymore, there are guys that where girls jeans, and guys who want to be really thin..... just because your like it doesn't mean everyone else wants to or likes seeing that...

I also don't appreciate you using me as an example.

MiCkiZ88
29-06-06, 00:57
well that was a bit offending.. cat...

mitch aint gay.. and so aint I...
you probs wouldnt even understand me If I started telling my litle story why I am like this.. and hell no I dont wanna look like mj!

but what's wrong with it that you wish that you could be better than you are now... What's wrong with admiring something.. should you just settle down to what you are and be all miserable.. Hell no! then there would be couch potatoes everywhere!

*shutting up now since I know you are gonna make me swallow my words :D *

Zep Girl
29-06-06, 01:00
I'd get rid of my tourettes gene........if it exists!

DREWY
29-06-06, 01:05
Well Catapharact, in future, maybe before you post your 'personal observations' ,you may consider the thoughts and feelings of others before naming names. Obviously is not appreciated in this case, whether intentional or not. Sentiment in what you said was ok, just be less personal please.

Lara Croft!
29-06-06, 01:05
I'd change the gene that makes me end up always with the wrong guys....:( :(

TRhistorian
29-06-06, 01:39
My eyes.

I am the biggest sucker for blue eyes to the point where no more discussion as to why I am a huge fanatic, definantly not appropreit for general discussion.:ton:

Angel666
29-06-06, 01:42
Faster metabolism. Almost everyone in my family has weight problems and I've had to work really hard to stay as small as I am and I'm not that small.
5'7 170lbs.

Catapharact
29-06-06, 02:00
This is sexism at it's strongest.... how many guys do you see in a beauty pageant? and yet there are more males taking part than females.... plus people dont have to live up to the steriotypical 'big strong guy' we aint living in the 90's anymore, there are guys that where girls jeans, and guys who want to be really thin..... just because your like it doesn't mean everyone else wants to or likes seeing that...

I also don't appreciate you using me as an example.

well that was a bit offending.. cat...

mitch aint gay.. and so aint I...
you probs wouldnt even understand me If I started telling my litle story why I am like this.. and hell no I dont wanna look like mj!

but what's wrong with it that you wish that you could be better than you are now... What's wrong with admiring something.. should you just settle down to what you are and be all miserable.. Hell no! then there would be couch potatoes everywhere!

*shutting up now since I know you are gonna make me swallow my words :D *

Response goes to both of you (and Micki.... Damn straight I am gonna make you.)

And thus my little view of what's wrong with today's world. What would you define as a man? Certainly not some Winey brat going on and on about how he wishes he looked like some anime character (and no, I am not using you as an example but giving a general sense.)

A man can wish to better himself, but do you call getting skinner or having a smaller nose better?! No. Better usually means more athletically fit and able to perfom any given task with minimal amount of difficulties. How does having a smaller nose helps you achieve that?

Women always look for confidence in a man. The oldest wrinkliest guy and not the pretty boys would walk out of a bar with all the pretty girls in his arms if he had enough confidence in himself.

TRhistorian
29-06-06, 02:00

Ugh, can't we focus on something other than sexuality. I'm gay, but I don't focus on things like too skinny or too big. I know I'm the perfect size for my body structure.

The strive to be perfect has been going on since humanity first began. Perfection is nothing but an illusion becuase theres always something that backfires.

I mean I wear girls pants and shirts sometimes, it doesn't matter but people think its the craziest stuff since I don't know what. The thing that loads of people need to learn is learn who you truely are and in some way, you will love it.

Catapharact
29-06-06, 02:01
Sentiment in what you said was ok, just be less personal please.

Understood.

Edit: Let me show you guys something:

* link removed. Elen.

Yours truly is kinda amoung them :whi: Lol! See? There is a 30 year old amoung them. Why do women like him? Simple. He wouldn't change a thing about himself.

Mary CF
29-06-06, 03:50
There's always something we inherited that we wish we could change about ourself. If you could remove 1 gene and remould it to your liking, what would it be?

I'd remove the gene that gives me a premature receding hairline (:hea:) and change it into a gene that gave me bluer eyes. :D

You can't replace an allele with an allele of an entirely different gene, as far as I know. I could be wrong but this is what I understood from my biology courses, which I just finished taking (so my memory is fresh).

In other words, you either have the receding hairline trait or the 'normal' hairline trait. But you can't replace that gene with a gene that defines an entirely different option.

And thus my little view of what's wrong with today's world. What would you define as a man? Certainly not some Winey brat going on and on about how he wishes he looked like some anime character (and no, I am not using you as an example but giving a general sense.)

A man can wish to better himself, but do you call getting skinner or having a smaller nose better?! No. Better usually means more athletically fit and able to perfom any given task with minimal amount of difficulties. How does having a smaller nose helps you achieve that?

Women always look for confidence in a man. The oldest wrinkliest guy and not the pretty boys would walk out of a bar with all the pretty girls in his arms if he had enough confidence in himself.

Ok Catapharact... I like you, but I am really not liking your responses on this issue.

You do realize that in saying this you have implied the following generalizations:

1. women are whiney brats who care excessively about their looks
2. men are strong and all men are or in fact should be genetically predisposed to a state of self confidence

This is sexist. Please reconsider. EVERYONE cares about their appearance to some degree, no doubt even you, and admitting it doesn't make you whiney. What makes someone whiney is when they say something negative (presumably for pity) far too often.

It's normal. Please. Get over it.

DREWY
29-06-06, 04:23
Mary, in defence of Catapharact I think the crux of his post is 'Be happy with who you are'
I don't think he set out to upset everyone here, although he has done that well, if unintentionally.

Off on a bit of a tangent here (and not just to Mary) but I think everything we do is for others. If you were the only person on the planet, would you honestly care where you lived, what you drove or what you looked like? As long as you were warm, got where you wanted to go and could see thru the mop of hair you would be happy. Vanity is all about others, not yourself.

laralives
29-06-06, 04:24
My Hair :p

Hermit
29-06-06, 04:28
My Hair :p

Yaa,me too:)
I need hood to protect my head n hair

Mary CF
29-06-06, 04:29
Mary, in defence of Catapharact I think the crux of his post is 'Be happy with who you are'
I don't think he set out to upset everyone here, although he has done that well, if unintentionally.

Off on a bit of a tangent here (and not just to Mary) but I think everything we do is for others. If you were the only person on the planet, would you honestly care where you lived, what you drove or what you looked like? As long as you were warm, got where you wanted to go and could see thru the mop of hair you would be happy. Vanity is all about others, not yourself.

I would agree with your interpretation of Cat's message, if not for the fact that he specifically directs his 'well meaning' posts to one gender, that being males. :ton:

I agree with what you said in the last paragraph, and I'm glad you think so too. :)

Melonie Tomb Raider
29-06-06, 04:31
Sometimes I wish I had green eyes. I've considerred getting green contacts (non perscription, I have great vision), but I'm still not sure about it. Sometimes I like my dark brown eyes, but at other times I wish they were an emerald green instead!

I'm pretty happy with myself though, I don't think I'd want to change anything major. I think the whole thing with the eyes is that I just want something new! lol. :vlol:

Mad Tony
29-06-06, 06:17
I wish I didn't have really pale skin, everyone always thinks I am ill! and when I am ill, I go red!

egyptiangal
29-06-06, 06:22
i wish my metabolism was faster...A LOT FASTER!

Tomb of Legends
29-06-06, 06:25

Im the same, I eat sooo much and Im thin :o

RAID
29-06-06, 07:24

same here, but I'm not what you would call skinny. But I can picture myself putting a few extra lbs.

I would change my hair. Make it a bit straighter :)

Jonnipants
29-06-06, 07:54
In other words, you either have the receding hairline trait or the 'normal' hairline trait. But you can't replace that gene with a gene that defines an entirely different option.

Interesting. :) Shows how much I know. :vlol: Well, in that case I'd opt for the 'normal' hairline because I love my hair..it's a shame it's been thinning since I was 16

BlackGrey
29-06-06, 08:02

Yeah, I'd like to get rid of my fast metabolism.

Night Crawler
29-06-06, 08:09
This forum really has the wimpiest bunch of guys I have seen. My recommendation... Don't get involved in a relationship; You'll get hen pecked to death. Man, I am too muscular?! My Nose is too long?! Huh?!?!ROFL! It's funny 'cos it's true. :D

tr_mitch
29-06-06, 08:16

Well i've never had any complaints about the way i look, i merely answered the thread, and what you say about women always looking for a confident man, couldn't be further from the truth... You can't say everyones the same and everyones going to go for that type of person.
And what is Better exactly? I'm fit and can keep running around for ages, this doesn't make me any better than say someone over weight person who can't.

Many of my 'girl' mates tend to go for the pretty boys aswell, and just because say someone looks or wants to look like an anime character, doesn't make him any less man then some wrinkled croak, who sits drinking all day. ordering his wife to make him dinner.

I think your living in past Generations.... we may have became more vain and care more about who we look, but that sure doesn't change anything about how 'manly' someone is.

And how can you sit back and judge most guys in the forum calling the majority 'whimpy' when you don't know anything about half of them, you have no idea what people have been through or overcome so dont think you do, and stop labelling everyone, especially by a topic which only discuss' appearance and being 'whimpy' is an aspect of personality!

Thus meaning your steriotypical image of a proper 'man' is completely wrong. Plus why change yourself to be that kind of person? why not look how you want to? And if you don't like all the whining going on in the thread about what people would change about themselves, theres a simple answer... DONT LOOK AT IT.

Melonie Tomb Raider
29-06-06, 09:46
I actually have to say I agree with Cat on this one... I don't know about any of the other girls here, but I certainly wouldn't be interested in a guy who says, "I'm too muscular!" or "My nose is too big!" No offense to the people who said those things. It just sounds extremely demasculating, and well... masculinity is what makes men, men.

I can understand how Cat's statement could be perceived as sexist, but I never felt as if it were for a second. The fact is, men and women are completely different. I've heard it argued that men and women are exactly the same except for anatomical differences; however, I completely disagree.

Basically, Cat's statements weren't directed toward the "whining" itself, but rather the demasculinization of it all. At least that's the way I perceived it. I don't see it as an insult toward women at all. Women aren't supposed to be masculine.

Needless to say, I don't think women should be complaining too much about their looks either. Naturally, to some degree, it's more acceptable as long as it doesn't go overboard. Men aren't the only ones who should be confident in themselves.

Additionally, Cat's comment about Mitch being gay shouldn't be offensive either. I thought Mitch was gay as well. Oddly enough, I've noticed the people who have taken offense were not opposed to homosexuality. If you think nothing of it, why would you be offended by the misconception? Cat never stated it in a derogatory manner.

what you say about women always looking for a confident man, couldn't be further from the truth...

Tell that to any psychologist and he/she will prove you wrong... Honestly, I can't think of a single female that would actually want to be with self conscious man. I would choose a confident guy over a self conscious guy any day of the week.

I guess there is one exception. Women that look for self conscious men want nothing more than to wear the pants in the relationship. A self conscious man will put up with whatever garbage his woman dishes out for him. I don't find that appealing by any means.

I think your living in past Generations.... we may have became more vain and care more about who we look, but that sure doesn't change anything about how 'manly' someone is.

Cat never suggested that men shouldn't care at all about how they look. It's just been taken overboard. If men didn't care at all how they looked then they wouldn't bother bathing, shaving, or combing their hair. Of course men should care about how they look, but not to the extent that they want to look less manly.

If being manly is past generation and being a pretty boy is current generation, I'll stick with the past. Although I disagree with your statement as a whole. Pretty boys aren't this generation. Just because their are some doesn't mean that masculine men are obsolete. Masculine, manly men are still current gen. Regardless of what you have claimed.

Simply stated: Pretty boys are not manly. Period.

BlackGrey
29-06-06, 09:52
Additionally, Cat's comment about Mitch being gay shouldn't be offensive either. I thought Mitch was gay as well. Oddly enough, I've noticed the people who have taken offense were not opposed to homosexuality. If you think nothing of it, why would you be offended by the misconception? Cat never stated it in a derogatory manner.

Yeah that peed me off.

jjbennett
29-06-06, 09:54
Honestly, I can't think of a single female that would actually want to be with self conscious man. I would choose a confident guy over a self conscious guy any day of the week.

I guess there is one exception. Women that look for self conscious men want nothing more than to wear the pants in the relationship. A self conscious man will put up with whatever garbage his woman dishes out for him. I don't find that appealing by any means.
I think i have to agree with you on that, up to a point. Im not too fussed how i look generally although if im goign out i will make (some of) an effort, but yeah when im at home i dont really care how i look.

The genes i'd change would be my slow-twitch muscle fibre ones. They seem to develop rather slowly on my chest, triceps and legs therefore making me have to work extremely hard on the weights.

J.

Melonie Tomb Raider
29-06-06, 10:06
I'm not too fussed how I look generally although if im goign out i will make (some of) an effort, but yeah when im at home i dont really care how i look.

I find nothing wrong with that; in fact, that's a good thing. I've edited my post to further elaborate my thoughts on this. Of course men should care about how they look to a certain degree, but not so much that it demasculinates them.

I wouldn't say your efforts to look good make you less manly by any means. Guys should still try to look good. Girls aren't exactly attracted to hobos. :vlol:

jjbennett
29-06-06, 10:07
Hehehe i thought you meant that anyway, i was thining to attract more women i'd have to not shower!

J.

tr_mitch
29-06-06, 10:08
I actually have to say I agree with Cat on this one... I don't know about any of the other girls here, but I certainly wouldn't be interested in a guy who says, "I'm too muscular!" or "My nose is too big!" No offense to the people who said those things. It just sounds extremely demasculating, and well... masculinity is what makes men, men.

I can understand how Cat's statement could be perceived as sexist, but I never felt as if it were for a second. The fact is, men and women are completely different. I've heard it argued that men and women are exactly the same except for anatomical differences; however, I completely disagree.

Basically, Cat's statements weren't directed toward the "whining" itself, but rather the demasculinization of it all. At least that's the way I perceived it. I don't see it as an insult toward women at all. Women aren't supposed to be masculine.

Needless to say, I don't think women should be complaining too much about their looks either. Naturally, to some degree, it's more acceptable as long as it doesn't go overboard. Men aren't the only ones who should be confident in themselves.

Tell that to any psychologist and he/she will prove you wrong... Honestly, I can't think of a single female that would actually want to be with self conscious man. I would choose a confident guy over a self conscious guy any day of the week.

Cat never suggested that men shouldn't care at all about how they look. It's just been taken overboard. If men didn't care at all how they looked then they wouldn't bother bathing, shaving, or combing their hair. Of course men should care about how they look, but not to the extent that they want to look less manly.

If being manly is past generation and being a pretty boy is current generation, I'll stick with the past. Although I disagree with your statement as a whole. Pretty boys aren't this generation. Just because their are some doesn't mean that masculine men are obsolete. Masculine, manly men are still current gen. Regardless of what you have claimed.

Simply stated: Pretty boys are not manly. Period.

I guess it depends on the country you come from, In england... most male's Gel there hair and try to make themselves look half decent...Heck i even have lad mates who wear makeup and there perfectly straight.
And i'll think you'll find... Most younger lads as myself are what you call 'pretty boys' and so in the near future, you will see a big change. It goes on age i guess, the older generation most likely as young people did not feel the need to make themselves look perfectly presentable.... But with media and magazines and the increase in fashion... i guess in my opinion my generation has been brought up to think 'Hey if you don't make an effort, your gonna be single forever'... which is far from the truth.

And its not the point of being offended by the fact cat said i was gay 'even though im bi' it was used in the wrong context....as if to back up his opinion, which he didn't need to add by any means.

I've been out with lots of girls and have a lot of people who would like to date me 'not big headed or anything' and im hardly the most confident person in the world.
But this doesn't just go for males.... females aswell who don't like to wear make-up and would rather do sports are are just the same....why would a guy go for a female who looks butch? And yet it happens... nowadays more males go for the natural beautiful in a girl rather than the fake/plastic ones, and you can state your opinions by all means... but dont think everybody's going to see you as correct. Its just a matter of opinion and preference.

BlackGrey
29-06-06, 10:12
Yeah but it's peoples expectations of people to look good that make guys feeling really insecure around other gals, like they're not meeting up standards . That's how I feel when I'm around gals/guys , meh. I feel more secure about my self when no ones around :P I think that's why people exaregate thier looks because they're desperate to meet people's standards so everyone's trying to be plastic just to feel good about themselves but some people do it just to be vain.

Jonnipants
29-06-06, 10:25
I guess it depends on the country you come from, In england... most male's Gel there hair and try to make themselves look half decent...Heck i even have lad mates who wear makeup and there perfectly straight.

I have to agree. Where I come from, pretty boys outnumber masculines by a long shot. It's hard to tell WHO is straight or gay here. It's called Meterosexuality and is becomming the norm

MiCkiZ88
29-06-06, 10:28
yep.. Metrosexuality.. Here ''pretty'' boys are really common now.. well been for a while actually.. But that doesnt make them any less worthy that masculine men does that?

why can't everyone be like they want to be?

tr_mitch
29-06-06, 10:29
I have to agree. Where I come from, pretty boys outnumber masculines by a long shot. It's hard to tell WHO is straight or gay here. It's called Meterosexuality and is becomming the norm
Yep thats true.... You could have the most masculin guy... but has the most feminin personality.

I myself am your normal moody teenager, who listens to rock, mopes around all day, and enjoys going out with friends....

But only close my close TRF friends would know this, so you can't always judge people by appearance, especially over the internet.

Melonie Tomb Raider
29-06-06, 10:38
Hehehe i thought you meant that anyway, i was thinking to attract more women i'd have to not shower!

LOL! :vlol:

I guess it depends on the country you come from, In england... most male's Gel there hair and try to make themselves look half decent...

If you read my post, I never said men shouldn't try to make themselves look good. In fact, I said they should care how they look. Although it can go too far. If a man uses more hair products than your average woman, he's officially crossed over to the "pretty boy" group. :p

And i'll think you'll find... Most younger lads as myself are what you call 'pretty boys' and so in the near future, you will see a big change.

Actually, a lot of older men are pretty boys too. By older I don't mean old, but adult age anyway. One word: NSync. Additionally, there are still many, many, many manlier guys in this current generation as well. You act as if they are disappearing. That's hardly the case.

It goes on age i guess, the older generation most likely as young people did not feel the need to make themselves look perfectly presentable.... But with media and magazines and the increase in fashion... i guess in my opinion my generation has been brought up to think 'Hey if you don't make an effort, your gonna be single forever'... which is far from the truth

My generation isn't exactly "old". I'm only 19. And again, to reiterate on what I have stated before, I never suggested that men shouldn't care at all how they look. They should care enough to shower, shave, and make themselves look good.

I've been out with lots of girls and have a lot of people who would like to date me 'not big headed or anything' and im hardly the most confident person in the world.

I never said guys should be big headed. I can't stand arrogant men. Moreover, there's nothing wrong with shy guys either. I think shy guys are incredibly sweet! However, there's a huge difference between being shy and insecure with oneself.

You shouldn't think you're the best thing since sliced bread; on the other hand, you shouldn't hate yourself either. Confidence is knowing who you are, and being content with it. Anything far above that is arrogance. Arrogance and confidence are two different things.

But this doesn't just go for males.... females aswell who don't like to wear make-up and would rather do sports are not really are just the same....why would a guy go for a female who looks butch? And yet it happens...

Sometimes it happens, but most guys prefer women who are women. Not one of the guys. I would have used another example other than sports though. There are many different women who are very feminine, yet love sports.

nowadays more males go for the natural beautiful in a girl rather than the fake/plastic ones.

Since when was a fake, plastic girl more feminine than a natural beautiful girl? That doesn't make sense... That's like saying feminine women were obsolete before plastic surgery was invented.

you can state your opinions by all means... but dont think everybody's going to see you as correct. Its just a matter of opinion and preference.

I don't think everyone will agree with me. Never suggested it either.

And yes, preferences vary; however, the discussion regards majority. Just because I said most women like manly men doesn't mean I meant every woman likes manly men.

You could have the most masculin guy... but has the most feminin personality.

That doesn't make sense. A man that acts feminine isn't masculine, he's feminine.

Here ''pretty'' boys are really common now.. well been for a while actually.. But that doesnt make them any less worthy that masculine men does that?

Cat never said pretty boys were less worthy than masculine men...

tr_mitch
29-06-06, 10:44
A man that acts feminine isn't masculine, he's feminine.

Exactly which is why im saying don't judge people by how they act on the internet or by there pictures... you get to know them... and then you can decide if there masculin or not..

And as for gel... well i dont use it anyway :)

Jonnipants
29-06-06, 10:45
And as for gel... well i dont use it anyway :)

Straighteners and hair spray for me, babes :tea:

BlackGrey
29-06-06, 10:47
Straighteners and hair spray for me, babes :tea:

Loreal Wet Gel does it for me baby!

Ampersand
29-06-06, 10:53
The frizzy hair gene. It's only affected half of my head anyway. :(

tr_mitch
29-06-06, 11:02
If you read my post, I never said men shouldn't try to make themselves look good. In fact, I said they should care how they look. Although it can go too far. If a man uses more hair products than your average woman, he's officially crossed over to the "pretty boy" group. :p
Products are products the end of the day, if someone chooses you use a whole lot everyday then that's there choice... you shouldn't label people because of thiis.

Actually, a lot of older men are pretty boys too. By older I don't mean old, but adult age anyway. One word: NSync. Additionally, there are still many, many, many manlier guys in this current generation as well. You act as if they are disappearing. That's hardly the case.
NSync are bubblegum... they went out ages ago? and they were still young... you find me a 50 year old who gel's his hair and i'll show you some money.

You shouldn't think you're the best thing since sliced bread; on the other hand, you shouldn't hate yourself either. Confidence is knowing who you are, and being content with it. Anything far above that is arrogance. Arrogance and confidence are two different things.

Everybody's different at the end of the day. Usually you find that the more confident people are the people who try to make themselves look good, and arrogance is sometimes a good thing 'why not be arrogant about yourself' its not like your offending anyone.

Since when was a fake, plastic girl more feminine than a natural beautiful girl? That doesn't make sense... That's like saying feminine women were obsolete before plastic surgery was invented.
Come to England... and you will see that a majourity of girl teenagers put that much make-up on that they look orange. And women used to use coal for eyeliner... back in the days... so vanity's been around all the time, and now because Male's are actually in some cases making more of an effort than females... everybody judges them?

That doesn't make sense. A man that acts feminine isn't masculine, he's feminine.

But hasn't this whole topic been discussed about 'pretty boys'... which the term 'pretty' is associated with female, and that they are whimpy for making an effort and stated what they'd change about themselves. So for all you know you could see a man wearing lipstick and eyeshadow... who drinking beer all day and plays football.

Thorir
29-06-06, 11:18
On a second thought, I think I want to change every gene...

BlackGrey
29-06-06, 11:18
On a second thought, I think I want to change every gene...

Join the club :p

Betal
29-06-06, 11:19
nothing:)

ELEN
29-06-06, 11:20
The question is simple: If there is something you would like to change on you. Why did this thread went off topic again, I have no idea. If someone wants to change something, it's their problem. My nose is also big and I wish I had the money to make an operation. Where is the problem? Really, this is anyone's problem and it concerns only me. I would also like to make a body operation and add extra weight. I'm skinny and I don't like it. Again, this concerns me and no-one else.

Although I understand the point that Catapharact tried to make, I can once again see that he failed to pass the meaning. Reason: the way he talks. No-one is perfect, so we have to accept it.

Back to topic.

MiCkiZ88
29-06-06, 11:23
The question is simple: If there is something you would like to change on you. Why did this thread went off topic again, I have no idea. If someone wants to change something, it's their problem. My nose is also big and I wish I had the money to make an operation. Where is the problem? Really, this is anyone's problem and it concerns only me. I would also like to make a body operation and add extra weight. I'm skinny and I don't like it. Again, this concerns me and no-one else.

Although I understand the point that Catapharact tried to make, I can once again see that he failed to pass the meaning. Reason: the way he talks. No-one is perfect, so we have to accept it.

Back to topic.
I'm just glad we have super ELEN here :D

I was just about to say that this went a litle of topic but couldn't have said it better than you :)

Anyways..
I'd like to have green or ice blue eyes :D

tr_mitch
29-06-06, 11:29
Id like them porcelain teeth... even though mine are perfectly straight and white... i think that porcelain veneers look great :D

Janny
29-06-06, 11:39
What I'd like to change about myself? Everything except the color of my eyes. I mean, I'm short, I have wavy hair, poor eyesight ( :hea: ), can be in serious trouble unless I do at least 2 h of sports per week... (and I kinda hate sports)

Edit: Oh, it said just 1 gene that I wanna change, than I'll just pick good eyesight.

Prince of world
29-06-06, 13:21
I love my self :D

da tomb raider!
29-06-06, 13:23
Me? I wish I didn't look so damn good.

Catapharact
29-06-06, 14:52
Alright, time to counter balance this once and for all.

Its one thing I can't stabnd about people, its their attempt to make themselves something they are not. The assumption that its ok to model ones self after some designers concept of beauty or good look is just plain stupid (and thus reflects my opinion on the guys AND girls who follow it.) Its not natural to look like some stick with a pale face and a head full of hair that looks like as if the person just woke out of bed.

Lack of self confidence really irks me off. If I see a man cowering down to verbal assults, it makes me sick; Not only towards the assultsman in question but at the victim for actually taking his/her crap seriously. Being weak in mind is the first kink in a person's armor that needs to be repaired.

TR-Mitch:

Maybe the old ways had merit. Though they may have a more sexist view on society, they did however judged a man/woman by his/her accomplishments rather than looks. Personally, I tend to stay away from self-concious girls even if they looked amazing (its quite a turnoff.) I have met a million pretty faces so what... The thing that makes my fiancee superior to all of them is the fact that she knows who she is and is perfectly comfortable with her alluring body (the only thing she ever changed was her hair colour and she didn't like it Lol!) Apart from that, she would make a politician run for his money with her quick witted mind. You don't find such a person everday (and this forum confimed it even more... Well apart from a few selected cool people ;). ) Accepting one's weakness is a sign of strength but its not enough. One must work on diminishing that weakness.

Long story short; Don't be wimps. Be comfortable in your own sex and your own self.

Now here is a person with the right idea Lol!

Harshness only burns the weak ELEN.

tr_mitch
29-06-06, 14:55
Alright, time to counter balance this once and for all.

Its one thing I can't stabnd about people, its their attempt to make themselves something they are not. The assumption that its ok to model ones self after some designers concept of beauty or good look is just plain stupid (and thus reflects my opinion on the guys AND girls who follow it.) Its not natural to look like some stick with a pale face and a head full of hair that looks like as if the person just woke out of bed.

Lack of self confidence really irks me off. If I see a man cowering down to verbal assults, it makes me sick; Not only towards the assultsman in question but at the victim for actually taking his/her crap seriously. Being weak in mind is the first kink in a person's armor that needs to be repaired.

TR-Mitch:

Maybe the old ways had merit. Though they may have a more sexist view on society, they did however judged a man/woman by his/her accomplishments rather than looks. Personally, I tend to stay away from self-concious girls even if they looked amazing (its quite a turnoff.) I have met a million pretty faces so what... The thing that makes my fiancee superior to all of them is the fact that she knows who she is and is perfectly comfortable with her alluring body (the only thing she ever changed was her hair colour and she didn't like it Lol!) Apart from that, she would make a politician run for his money with her quick witted mind. You don't find such a person everday (and this forum confimed it even more... Well apart from a few selected cool people ;). ) Accepting one's weakness is a sign of strength but its not enough. One must work on diminishing that weakness.

Long story short; Don't be wimps. Be comfortable in your own sex and your own self.

Now here is a person with the right idea Lol!

ELEN's already Stated that this should go back to topic and it has. I wont bother reading your post.

Catapharact
29-06-06, 14:56
ELEN's already Stated that this should go back to topic and it has. I wont bother reading your post.

Your choice. Just don't ever complain about my posts being too harsh if you can't provide a valid argument back. Capiche.

VonCroy360
29-06-06, 14:57
I would probably change the colour of my eyes to light brown or hazel...
:)

tr_mitch
29-06-06, 15:01
Your choice. Just don't ever complain about my posts being too harsh if you can't provide a valid argument back. Capiche.
It's completely off topic. you want to debate? make a thread, you want to talk to me personally pm me. You want to write about what one gene you could change... then post in this thread if not, Dont.

BACK TO TOPIC

Jonnipants
29-06-06, 15:02
My gosh, the hostility.

Night Crawler
29-06-06, 15:02
It's completely off topic. you want to debate? make a thread, you want to talk to me personally pm me. You want to write about what one gene you could change... then post in this thread if not, Dont.

BACK TO TOPIC

Wow, someone can't handle a debate...

Catapharact
29-06-06, 15:04
Little boys and their temper tanturums... *sigh* So sad, but yes, back on topic.

As I said... wouldn't change a thing.

Geck-o-Lizard
29-06-06, 15:04
Well my gran died of breast cancer, and that form of cancer is apparently normally carried down through generations in a gene passed from mother to child. If I have the breast cancer gene, I'd change that one.

Catapharact
29-06-06, 15:05
Well my gran died of breast cancer, and that form of cancer is apparently normally carried down through generations in a gene passed from mother to child. If I have the breast cancer gene, I'd change that one.

My condolances. But I would say thats the most unselfish and the most valid point on the thread yet made so far.

tha_mattster
29-06-06, 15:05
Well it seems gene manipulation does not make for happiness, going by this thread lol! :D

I dont think i'd really want to change anything about me, apart from these damn wings. :rolleyes:

clairelovestlc
29-06-06, 15:06
Id get rid of the " chunkyness" gene, and replace it with an " a little bit taller" gene

tha_mattster
29-06-06, 15:06
I saw a clip of your film, you looked normal height! Or was that guy not tall, but really small? :p

jarhead
29-06-06, 15:08
well hmmm i wouldnt want to change anything. im happy with myself, but i would like to be bit taller. im not that short but i would love to be abit taller and better at PE. is that a gene??

clairelovestlc
29-06-06, 15:10
The guy was really small... they decided they wanted me as the actress, then had to find a short male actor so we could fit in the same frame!

Im 5 foot tall exactly :)

Angel_14
29-06-06, 15:10
I wouldn't change anything. I look perfect for my age (My form my height, my boobs :whi: ) and I think the plastic surgery is for Britney Spears and M. Jackson :D I don't want my nose to fell off! :eek:

tha_mattster
29-06-06, 15:11
This is a statistic truth: the shorter you are as a woman, the more money you earn, and the taller you are as a man the more you earn. So don't worry about it! :D

Ampersand
29-06-06, 15:13
This is a statistic truth: the shorter you are as a woman, the more money you earn, and the taller you are as a man the more you earn. So don't worry about it! :D

5'3" here, is that short enough to earn a small fortune? :p If so, that's good news. :D

VonCroy360
29-06-06, 15:13

Guess not much money for me then...
Ah...
Can we make this "if you could change 2 genes in your body" thread? :o :)

clairelovestlc
29-06-06, 15:16
REALLY?!? * cuts a few inches off her legs*

I actually quite like being petite.. i get attention for it, at big brother the guys were arguing over who got to put me on there shoulders :)

jarhead
29-06-06, 15:19
you lucky thing. im not short for my age, well im taller then some -people i know. im about 5ft 6 and im 15. hmm guess its an average income for me

ELEN
29-06-06, 15:53
Harshness only burns the weak ELEN.

It's not about harshness. Too bad you missed my point. Probably I'm also unable to pass the meaning of what I think. So, here it is: I understand what you tried to say at your first post, but they way you said it was not the appropriate. You refered to a person that you do NOT know and offended him, jumping into conclusions without thinking first. Moreover, you used him as an example and what you said was not what describes him as a person. And as you have probably understood, I'm talking about tr_mitch that apart from his family and close real-life friends, no-one else knows him that well.

I really have no idea why you post like that the last months. You seem to have a "this is a childish post/ thread" caramel in your mouth that you don't want to shallow or spit. Most of the posts you make give me the impression that you think that all kids have come to TRF. It is your personal opinion of course, but regardless of the respect I have for you (and you know it), you need to give them a break. Not agreeing with someone and debating is natural. Not agreeing and offending at the same time someone causes hurt feelings. Anyone could be in his place; that is you, me or another member.

only Croft
29-06-06, 15:54

Then I'm sooooo lucky, I' 1.73 m tall, about 5.6 feet, whoo, I'm going to be rich,rich,rich I tell you MUUAAAHHAAAAA!!!!! :vlol: :D:tea::jmp::ton:

Catapharact
29-06-06, 16:07
It's not about harshness. Too bad you missed my point. Probably I'm also unable to pass the meaning of what I think. So, here it is: I understand what you tried to say at your first post, but they way you said it was not the appropriate. You refered to a person that you do NOT know and offended him, jumping into conclusions without thinking first. Moreover, you used him as an example and what you said was not what describes him as a person. And as you have probably understood, I'm talking about tr_mitch that apart from his family and close real-life friends, no-one else knows him that well.

I really have no idea why you post like that the last months. You seem to have a "this is a childish post/ thread" caramel in your mouth that you don't want to shallow or spit. Most of the posts you make give me the impression that you think that all kids have come to TRF. It is your personal opinion of course, but regardless of the respect I have for you (and you know it), you need to give them a break. Not agreeing with someone and debating is natural. Not agreeing and offending at the same time someone causes hurt feelings. Anyone could be in his place; that is you, me or another member.

OT:

Probably because of the fact that I have had my fill with people ACTING childish. Serously, you have to sit back and read some of these posts sometimes; Either you are gonna end up on the ground laughing or just crook and eyebrow. If I were to see true maturity, I would have atlest expected something more than whining. Something that actually involved constructive argumentation. Laughter is good obviously (I admit I post a lot of Funny threads.) But its one thing I can't stand, its lack of self confidence regardless of your past, and trying to be something you are not.

The old saying "Some people need to be talked to and some people need to be told" quite applies here.

scion05
29-06-06, 16:07
either

red hair 2 brown hair
hazel eyes to lime green

ELEN
29-06-06, 16:15
But its one thing I can't stand, its lack of self confidence regardless of your past, and trying to be something you are not.

No problem with that. This post would be easier for everyone from the beginning.

btw\ lack of confidence = childish? I think I lost you somewhere.

Catapharact
29-06-06, 16:17
No problem with that. This post would be easier for everyone from the beginning.

btw\ lack of confidence = childish? I think I lost you somewhere.

I can give you so many examples of people on other forums that know for a fact that regardless of the harshness, my posts convay the message simple and straightforward. I usually place in the harshness to drive the point home. You can't tell me that it doesn't work Lol!

VonCroy360
29-06-06, 16:20
either
red hair 2 brown hair
hazel eyes to lime green

:eek: You're kidding, right?
I would do anything for both hazel eyes and red hair...
You're one lucky guy...

Anubis_AF
29-06-06, 16:30
Absolutely nothing.

da tomb raider!
29-06-06, 16:34
Well, I guess I wouldn't mind getting rid of the gene that makes me a bisexual. I mean, personally, I don't really mind being one, but sometimes, it prevents me from having a normal relationship with a gal. Or a guy, for that matter. Hey, it's a good thing my current girlfriend understands.

Catapharact
29-06-06, 16:37
Well, I guess I wouldn't mind getting rid of the gene that makes me a bisexual. I mean, personally, I don't really mind being one, but sometimes, it prevents me from having a normal relationship with a gal. Or a guy, for that matter. Hey, it's a good thing my current girlfriend understands.

Huh?! What does bisexuality has to do with infidelity? That's like saying "I would like to have my pervert gene removed since I can't stop staring down women's blouses." Infedelity is a choice, not genetic.

taika
29-06-06, 16:38
make my hair not grow so fast!

da tomb raider!
29-06-06, 16:42
Huh?! What does bisexuality has to do with infidelity? That's like saying "I would like to have my pervert gene removed since I can't stop staring down women's blouses." Infedelity is a choice, not genetic.
Or is it?

Catapharact
29-06-06, 16:45
Or is it?

Its not. If you have principals in your life, its not. Blaming infidelity on genes is like blaming public burping on genetic inheritence. "Oh my dad used to do it, so it must be genetic!"

No. You choose to be who you are.

Legend of Lara
29-06-06, 16:46
I'd destroy the zit-making gene! :p

da tomb raider!
29-06-06, 16:49
Its not. If you have principals in your life, its not. Blaming infidelity on genes is like blaming public burping on genetic inheritence. "Oh my dad used to do it, so it must be genetic!"

Well, firstly, we all have different opinions. Secondly, if you're gay, bisexual, etc, you might understand better. If not, you can't say what you just said, because you wouldn't know. And thirdly, even if it is you're choise, there's gotta be a gene which makes you have these choices. You can't just have them. Either way, you lose. Anyway, I haven't got time for this. You can think what you think, and I'll think what I think. We both can't change each others opinions. That's what our genes do. If you want to conclude this arguement, you can private mail me. However I doubt I'll take any notice...

scion05
29-06-06, 16:51
:eek: You're kidding, right?
I would do anything for both hazel eyes and red hair...
You're one lucky guy...

Catapharact
29-06-06, 16:53
Well, firstly, we all have different opinions. Secondly, if you're gay, bisexual, etc, you might understand better. If not, you can't say what you just said, because you wouldn't know. And thirdly, even if it is you're choise, there's gotta be a gene which makes you have these choices. You can't just have them. Either way, you lose. Anyway, I haven't got time for this. You can think what you think, and I'll think what I think. We both can't change each others opinions. That's what our genes do. If you want to conclude this arguement, you can private mail me. However I doubt I'll take any notice...

OT:

Well then why don't I conclude this here:

So if what you are saying is true, then there shouldn't be any cause for trying murderers/Rapists/Molestors since its in their genes and they can't help themselves.

Actions have concequences, and blaming it all on genetics is a coward's excuse to escape from the results of their actions. Friendly advice... Talk over with oyur girlfriend and discuss as to how your "actions" will effect your future in your relationship.

Lara Croft!
29-06-06, 17:02

:tmb: :vlol: :tmb: :vlol:

Lara's Boy
29-06-06, 17:12
If I could change one, it would be whatever gene is keeping me from maintaining the weight I gain, lol. I will work out and eat pretty regularly, almost gain enough weight to look normal but if I go one day without eating or a couple without working out, I am back to square one!!

da tomb raider!
29-06-06, 17:42
OT:

Well then why don't I conclude this here:

So if what you are saying is true, then there shouldn't be any cause for trying murderers/Rapists/Molestors since its in their genes and they can't help themselves.

Actions have concequences, and blaming it all on genetics is a coward's excuse to escape from the results of their actions. Friendly advice... Talk over with oyur girlfriend and discuss as to how your "actions" will effect your future in your relationship.
Well, I'd like to say on more thing before I ignore this whole thread, then. Firstly, let's face it, most murders, rapists, etc are totally crazy anyway. Secondly, ask yourself this question; What makes you you? What makes you like the food you like, look the way you look, think the way you think, etc. Genes, or choices?

Melonie Tomb Raider
29-06-06, 17:45

Well it looks like I'm going to have financial troubles then. :vlol:

lol that's odd though. Good thing I'm not supersticious. :p

Melonie Tomb Raider
29-06-06, 17:47

I couldn't agree more. Bravo! :D

There is no murdering, raping, or infedelity gene. That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Just another excuse for bad behavior. Whatever happened to responsibility?

tha_mattster
29-06-06, 17:49
Well it looks like I'm going to have financial troubles then. :vlol:

lol that's odd though. Good thing I'm not supersticious. :p

well of course it doesnt mean ALL tall woman will be poor tramps, but on average taller women earn less than shorter women.

Condoliza Rice is quite tall isnt she, and she is the most powerful women in the world!

(edit: just researched her height, she is actually 5 foot 6 and a half! so thats average isnt it?)

Geck-o-Lizard
29-06-06, 17:53

Take a look at it from another angle. Do you choose to be heterosexual? Or are you simply heterosexual because it just feels right? Not everyone feels the same as you do. Please understand this.

Catapharact
29-06-06, 18:24
Well, I'd like to say on more thing before I ignore this whole thread, then. Firstly, let's face it, most murders, rapists, etc are totally crazy anyway. Secondly, ask yourself this question; What makes you you? What makes you like the food you like, look the way you look, think the way you think, etc. Genes, or choices?

Then I guess those who commit infidelity lack morals, not genetically flawed. What makes me me? I would say the environment of strict disapline that I was brought up in. My parents did give me the freedom to make my own choices, but they also made sure I knew that there were concequences to every wrong action.

Trust me, if I were like my parents, I would be greeting everyone here with open arms. My parents always manage to see the good in everyone. I however, don't share that view anymore.

Take a look at it from another angle. Do you choose to be heterosexual? Or are you simply heterosexual because it just feels right? Not everyone feels the same as you do. Please understand this.

Circumstances define one's sexuality. For all we know, the person was abused as a child and therefore lacks the required sef-confidence which he/she looks for in the same sex partner, or maybe the person is the youngest of the siblings and therefore doesn't get the attention he/she needed, and then inturn compensate for it from the first person that shows affection (Which I may add is a Psychological problem, not a genetic one.

saray
29-06-06, 18:31
i would change my hair...it's horrible to care for :(:( *no one look at mem pics* :p

Geck-o-Lizard
29-06-06, 21:18
Sorry, more offtopicness. Just haven't had a good discussion in here for a while. :)

Cat:
What about the instances of homosexuality recorded in animals? Animals that have been brought up in exactly the same environment as their peers, that show homosexual or bisexual tendencies. That encourages me to believe that for the most part, non-hetero sexuality comes pre-programmed in individuals. I'm sure there are many, many gays and bi's who have had totally ordinary and uneventful upbringings before finally clicking on their "true nature".

Also, be careful; too much cynicism is as bad as too much optimism. Don't let the negative side of people overshadow their good qualities (or you'll end up lonely and grumpy, like me).

Melonie Tomb Raider
29-06-06, 22:09
well of course it doesnt mean ALL tall woman will be poor tramps, but on average taller women earn less than shorter women.

Condoliza Rice is quite tall isnt she, and she is the most powerful women in the world!

(edit: just researched her height, she is actually 5 foot 6 and a half! so thats average isnt it?)

The average American woman is 5'4" I think, so Condoliza is a little taller than average. I wouldn't say tall though.

She is very powerful though! :vlol:

Edit: Just checked online. the average height for females in the US is 5'3.7" and males 5'9.1". I think people in the UK are about the same, but average a tiny bit shorter.

tha_mattster
29-06-06, 22:33
People in ireland and scotland are usually shorter than the english. There is less germanic and northern european genes so they dont have the height. Luckily im only half scottish so I got tall english genes :D

Catapharact
29-06-06, 22:38
Sorry, more offtopicness. Just haven't had a good discussion in here for a while. :)

Cat:
What about the instances of homosexuality recorded in animals? Animals that have been brought up in exactly the same environment as their peers, that show homosexual or bisexual tendencies. That encourages me to believe that for the most part, non-hetero sexuality comes pre-programmed in individuals. I'm sure there are many, many gays and bi's who have had totally ordinary and uneventful upbringings before finally clicking on their "true nature".

Also, be careful; too much cynicism is as bad as too much optimism. Don't let the negative side of people overshadow their good qualities (or you'll end up lonely and grumpy, like me).

Last OT (I am so switching over to PM Lol!)

The results in question don't consider the fact that these animals probably suffered neglect as well. Probably as infants, their parents exculded them as the black sheep of the family and thereby only saw accpetence in playing with their siblings. Therefore, they connect more to their own sex.

And my cynicism in only limited to those who can't cope with the world. The world doesn't give a person a hunky dory situation.

dbot
29-06-06, 23:11
id change the gene that gives me weak teeth to one that let me control water

ILG49ers
30-06-06, 01:54
I wish I were taller, so I would definitely change that! I mean being 5'6 isn't that bad, but I feel like I get disrespected sometimes due to it, especially since I play sports.

Seb_01225
30-06-06, 20:55
i dont like my ears :mad:

Mona Sax
30-06-06, 21:16
Circumstances define one's sexuality. For all we know, the person was abused as a child and therefore lacks the required sef-confidence which he/she looks for in the same sex partner, or maybe the person is the youngest of the siblings and therefore doesn't get the attention he/she needed, and then inturn compensate for it from the first person that shows affection (Which I may add is a Psychological problem, not a genetic one.
I haven't been abused or neglected as a child. In fact, I had a perfectly normal childhood, and I've always been pretty self-confident. My parents are straight and rather ordinary, and I didn't see any porn until my mid-teens. And yet I turned out to be very open and comfortable with my sexuality. I don't think there's much validity to the "sexuality is shaped" argument.

Oh yeah, what would I like to change? I'd like to have straight hair, I suppose.

Apofiss
30-06-06, 21:36
Can't really think of any changes... um perhaps a spider-bite should do, except there aren't a lot of high buildings where I live :D

@Mona, aw you having a curly hair? ...and not that I imagine you as Mona Sax as in your avie :whi:

Lavinder
30-06-06, 22:08
My stupid eyes, getting called chinky china is :hea: Come from my lovely nan :(

Or my stupid ugly legs when the rest of my family have sticks! Inhereted that off my nan too.

Or my oily skin around my nose.

Many more...

tazmine
01-07-06, 00:57
I'd like to change the gene that (combined with the same gene from my husband) caused my daughter to have cystic fibrosis.

xMiSsCrOfTx
01-07-06, 01:16
The gene I inherited from my grandmother that gave me Scoliosis (curved spine). Thankfully it isn't that bad, but it has caused me a little back pain in the past.

katmandoo
01-07-06, 01:43
The gene that gives me a chance of getting cancer that i got from my grandmother

Melonie Tomb Raider
01-07-06, 03:11
I'd like to change the gene that (combined with the same gene from my husband) caused my daughter to have cystic fibrosis.

aww that's so sad! :( I hope it hasn't affected her too much. I hear it's a terrible disease.

Mary CF
01-07-06, 04:57
Interesting. :) Shows how much I know. :vlol: Well, in that case I'd opt for the 'normal' hairline because I love my hair..it's a shame it's been thinning since I was 16

It's all good, I wouldn't have known either if I didn't take biology! I forgot to mention that there aren't always just two alleles (different forms of a gene) involved. There can be three, or four, or five... or more. And don't even get me started on polygenic disorders and epistasis! :vlol: Ok I'll stop now. :p And no I'm not trying to rub anything in... hehe... just being a bit of a geek that's all.

Id get rid of the " chunkyness" gene, and replace it with an " a little bit taller" gene

Again, I am sorry to say this twice, but you can't do that. If you get rid of the 'chunkyness' gene your body type will be undefined. Something undefined is impossible in genetics. That can to instability, poor health, or death (depending on what it is). Certain genes can only fit in certain places on a chromosome, they cannot be replaced with other genes that define different traits. This is based on what I learned in my biology course very recently. Unless there has been some scientific breakthrough that proves this wrong, I'm sticking with this.

So what you are saying, in essence, is that manliness is defined by not expressing what you feel is bad about your body image? So in that sense, if I were to not complain about my hair, or my eyes, or whatever, that would make me masculine?

No offense Mel, but I completely disagree with your logic here.

Also - going along with your manly stereotype for just one second here... do you know what one of the things I really disliked about my ex, was?

He was TOO masculine. Sure, he had huge arms, and legs, and was very fit for someone who didn't do a lot in the way of working out. I think it was maintained because his levels of testosterone were too high, but I don't have evidence to prove that. I also think it made him prone to anger, because of what I observed whenever he became upset with me or someone else, even.

He tried so hard to be masculine that it annoyed me. I don't mind guys being afraid to cry, or afraid to admit they did - that is something I don't expect to ever change. What bothered me was how he refused to talk about anything that was even slightly personal - and I certainly didn't pry.

That was part of his ideal, being masculine - shutting the world out from his pain. You may see that as valiant and strong, which I'm sure is what he was aiming for, but it just came across as... what would be the word? Wall-like? I don't know. Needless to say, it got annoying after a while.

There's nothing attractive about a wall. He tried so hard to be masculine that in a way he came out looking like a rock. And I know people refer to dependable people as their 'rock'.. but rocks are also not very comforting.

I don't mean to beat on my ex. I still love him despite all the crap. But I'm just trying to highlight this for you: being insular does not make you masculine.

There, I said it. I strongly believe that while masculinity is equated to strength, there is a difference between being strong and feeling strong, and it's impossible to be one thing all the time. Everyone has self confidence issues.

Voicing them does not make a guy a 'pretty boy' unless he does so excessively.

Just because someone is insecure doesn't mean they will be a doormat.... though I must admit they seem more likely to let themselves get trampled on. All being insecure really means, to me, is that someone will take the smallest things and magnify them to the point where they become an issue (one that normally might not be there at all).

And this is going to be my last post on the off topic portion of this thread... please pm me if you want to continue. Sorry Elen, I didn't see your post!!

Mona Sax
01-07-06, 07:19
@Mona, aw you having a curly hair? ...and not that I imagine you as Mona Sax as in your avie :whi:
Yeah. :)

AnthonyShock1515
01-07-06, 08:13
I would remove the green eye gene, and replace my eyes with brown.

And the bad temper gene, and replace it with a priest.:D

Catapharact
01-07-06, 13:27
Man, got a lot of responding to do Lol!

I haven't been abused or neglected as a child. In fact, I had a perfectly normal childhood, and I've always been pretty self-confident. My parents are straight and rather ordinary, and I didn't see any porn until my mid-teens. And yet I turned out to be very open and comfortable with my sexuality. I don't think there's much validity to the "sexuality is shaped" argument.

Oh yeah, what would I like to change? I'd like to have straight hair, I suppose.

Again I stress your society. I am going to assume that sexual education was part of your curriculum and the media openly promoted sex as a powerful advertisement, am I not correct? Ergo that must have been your link to your openess about sexuality.

I consider sex sacred. I would only share it with the person I KNOW I am going to share the rest of my life with. If it isn't with that one special person, I feel its just another cheap thrill which can be better compensated for by sky diving Lol!

So what you are saying, in essence, is that manliness is defined by not expressing what you feel is bad about your body image? So in that sense, if I were to not complain about my hair, or my eyes, or whatever, that would make me masculine?

No offense Mel, but I completely disagree with your logic here.

Also - going along with your manly stereotype for just one second here... do you know what one of the things I really disliked about my ex, was?

He was TOO masculine. Sure, he had huge arms, and legs, and was very fit for someone who didn't do a lot in the way of working out. I think it was maintained because his levels of testosterone were too high, but I don't have evidence to prove that. I also think it made him prone to anger, because of what I observed whenever he became upset with me or someone else, even.

He tried so hard to be masculine that it annoyed me. I don't mind guys being afraid to cry, or afraid to admit they did - that is something I don't expect to ever change. What bothered me was how he refused to talk about anything that was even slightly personal - and I certainly didn't pry.

That was part of his ideal, being masculine - shutting the world out from his pain. You may see that as valiant and strong, which I'm sure is what he was aiming for, but it just came across as... what would be the word? Wall-like? I don't know. Needless to say, it got annoying after a while.

There's nothing attractive about a wall. He tried so hard to be masculine that in a way he came out looking like a rock. And I know people refer to dependable people as their 'rock'.. but rocks are also not very comforting.

I don't mean to beat on my ex. I still love him despite all the crap. But I'm just trying to highlight this for you: being insular does not make you masculine.

There, I said it. I strongly believe that while masculinity is equated to strength, there is a difference between being strong and feeling strong, and it's impossible to be one thing all the time. Everyone has self confidence issues.

Voicing them does not make a guy a 'pretty boy' unless he does so excessively.

Just because someone is insecure doesn't mean they will be a doormat.... though I must admit they seem more likely to let themselves get trampled on. All being insecure really means, to me, is that someone will take the smallest things and magnify them to the point where they become an issue (one that normally might not be there at all).

And this is going to be my last post on the off topic portion of this thread... please pm me if you want to continue. Sorry Elen, I didn't see your post!!

No. she clearly stated that self-confidence and self-worth is what defines a STRONG man. Excessive insecurity IMO (in both sexes) is truly unwarrented for. A person who can't stand up for one self would easily be stepped on.

And I am going to say this about your Ex; He had no connection with you; Not that he was too manly. Me personally do see his POV in a way. The last thing I would want is to burden my partner with my emotional crap on top of hers; It won't help either of us one bit if we are both down with problems. My priority would be putting her problems in front of mines. She matters more; Period. Its after all her problems have been elimintated will I focus on mines, and I would be first one to tell her (and trust me... She has been my pillar many times over.)

Seriously, how can you help anyone when you don't even think positively about your own self?

Mary CF
02-07-06, 08:46
Man, got a lot of responding to do Lol!

No. she clearly stated that self-confidence and self-worth is what defines a STRONG man. Excessive insecurity IMO (in both sexes) is truly unwarrented for. A person who can't stand up for one self would easily be stepped on.

And I am going to say this about your Ex; He had no connection with you; Not that he was too manly. Me personally do see his POV in a way. The last thing I would want is to burden my partner with my emotional crap on top of hers; It won't help either of us one bit if we are both down with problems. My priority would be putting her problems in front of mines. She matters more; Period. Its after all her problems have been elimintated will I focus on mines, and I would be first one to tell her (and trust me... She has been my pillar many times over.)

Seriously, how can you help anyone when you don't even think positively about your own self?

No... re-read the last few paragraphs of my post... and re-read Mel's. I don't think you fully understand why I said this.

If you read what I quoted in her post, she clearly states that a guy who puts himself down regarding his physical appearance is 'demasculated' (correct word is emasculated.. but carry on). Therefore using this logic, a guy who doesn't complain about his appearance is very masculine. That doesn't even cover what is physically considered 'masculine'.

There is also the well known and well ignored difference between being insecure and being honest. I could say for argument's sake that I don't like my nose (not true... just an example)... but that doesn't make me insecure.

This doesn't include women who don't complain about their appearance, either. I did my reading. You can't argue that she didn't imply this. Self confidence is not a gender-specific trait, you either have it or you don't (or you develop it over time). But just expecting someone to be self confident based on their gender is just... unrealistic, if you ask me.

This also doesn't explain successful businesswomen who demonstrate exeptional self confidence and grace. Are you going to tell me that all women are slightly insecure, and this what makes them feminine? Do you mean to tell me that these businesswomen are more masculine than regular women? Are you beginning to see how many people in society are contradicting your stereotype?

Case in point: if a guy doesn't need a woman to tell him he is attractive, and that makes him masculine... are you trying to tell me that women are inherently insecure and need validation and are approval seekers? I would have to disagree.

Please, people, generalizations are dangerous (yes I see the irony in that comment). I know, because I made the mistake of debating using generalizations, and it just sent me into a spin. I know what I meant, but a particularly anal individual decided to take it the most extreme way possible - even after I explained it. Generalizations are bad. PERIOD.

As to why my ex did what he did, only him or I would have a comprehensive point of view on it (because we were there). I have detached and removed myself from the situation and looked at it as objectively as I possibly could and I still see it almost the same way. I can honestly tell you that while that might be why you would choose to be somewhat insular, it is definitely not why my ex was. I thought long and hard about it and considered all the possibilties that seem even remotely plausible to me... and that definitely doesn't fit.

EDIT: Catapharact, I specifically requested that this be taken to pm if further discussion is necessary. Please do that, I don't think this should be carried any further off topic. Thanks.

Ampersand
02-07-06, 10:04
*coughs*

Nah, never mind the frizzy hair gene, I'd like to change my short-sightedness gene. Runs in the family - my nan has really bad eye-sight, my mum's isn't great, and mine is even worse. :o I blame the PC. :p