PDA

View Full Version : New Tomb Discovered in Valley of The Kings, Egypt

tha_mattster
29-06-06, 17:46
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41318000/gif/_41318858_vall_of_kings3_416.gif

Archaeologists in Egypt expecting to find a mummy during their excavation of a burial chamber in Luxor have instead discovered a garland of flowers.

The 3,000-year-old garland is the first to be discovered.

It was found in the last of seven coffins which archaeologists had hoped would contain the mummies of royal queens or even Tutankhamun's mother.

Researchers and media had been invited into the chamber, near Tutankhamun's tomb, to watch the coffin's opening.

The chief curator of Cairo's Egyptian Museum said the surprise find was "even better" than discovering a mummy.

Click for map of Valley of the Kings

"I prayed to find a mummy, but when I saw this, I said it's better - it's really beautiful," said Nadia Lokma.

"It's very rare - there's nothing like it in any museum. We've seen things like it in drawings, but we've never seen this before in real life - it's magnificent," she said.

Experts say ancient Egyptian royals often wore garlands entwined with gold strips around their shoulders in both life and death.

The burial chamber was the first to be discovered in the Valley of the Kings since Tutankhamun's tomb more than 80 years ago and was found by chance.

It is the 63rd tomb to be discovered since the valley was first mapped in the 18th century, and was unexpectedly found only five metres away from King Tutankhamun's.

However, the chamber's discovery did disprove the widely accepted belief that there were no tombs left to find in the Valley of the Kings.

The Valley of the Kings, near the city of Luxor in southern Egypt, was used for burials for around 500 years from 1540BC onwards.

from here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5127918.stm#map

So it can easily make sense for lara to go back there and find new tombs :jmp:

Legend of Lara
29-06-06, 17:47
Cool. :cool:

tha_mattster
29-06-06, 17:51
http://www.thebanmappingproject.com/

(click 'Atlas of the valley of the kings' really cool maps!)

MiCkiZ88
29-06-06, 17:53
hmm.. I was there 1 years ago and there was some activity at that area.. our tour guide said something but I can't remember what she said..

but cool find!

I want to back there.. since I haven't been in all of the tombs... :p

daventry
29-06-06, 18:24
Very Cool, thanks Mattster.

tr_mitch
29-06-06, 18:25
I once had a dream that i was walking through egypt... and i tripped over a rock, only to find its a tomb! Man someone beat me to it :(

tha_mattster
29-06-06, 18:32
I once had a dream that i was walking through egypt... and i tripped over a rock, only to find its a tomb! Man someone beat me to it :(

I dont think you quite understand how archaeology works lol :p

RAID
29-06-06, 18:33
That's awsome :tmb:

Thanks for sharing :tmb:

tr_mitch
29-06-06, 18:34
I dont think you quite understand how archaeology works lol :p
Of course i do... its pretty simple really.... Some bog standard British girl... goes randomly looking in a place and happens to come across a tomb... and avoid almost certain death lots of times, finds magical artifacts... and skips of back to her Mansion.

You see! :D

And that is what archaeology is alllll about.

tha_mattster
29-06-06, 18:36
Of course i do... its pretty simple really.... Some bog standard British girl... goes randomly looking in a place and happens to come across a tomb... and avoid almost certain death lots of times, finds magical artifacts... and skips of back to her Mansion.

You see! :D

DOH! :hea:

pythontrainer
29-06-06, 18:47
And that is what archaeology is alllll about.

And thats the end of ThAt chapter :D *flicks tie over his shoulder*

...ps cool find :tmb: i always find myself watchin the discovery channel and watching those "secrets of the acient egyptians" type programmes :D MUCH better than BB :o

Catapharact
29-06-06, 18:48
It was found near the area where King Tut's mummy was found. So there was something there and it took 80 yrs. to find it.

Lara Croft!
29-06-06, 18:49
This conversation made me put Gammaray's Valley of the kings CD in the computer...

VonCroy360
29-06-06, 18:50
Interesting...
I though there was nothing there left to find...
:)

Lenochka
29-06-06, 18:50
ohhhhhhhhhh this news has been around for a while i have been watching it on the discovery channel. they are actually showing the people digging everything up. they found a pure gold baby coffin it was fasinating...

pythontrainer
29-06-06, 18:52
Interesting...
I though there was nothing there left to find...
:)

I think we should begin sivving the ENTIRE surface of Egypt!!! theres always somthing to find there!! kinda like my backgarden :D