PDA

View Full Version : Which language would you learn?

tha_mattster
01-07-06, 03:55
I have the option to be taught a language as part of my degree, but I cant decide which one I want to pick >.<

I've narrowed it down to Gaelic, Russian or Latin.

Which would you pick and why!

dbot
01-07-06, 04:01
I personally would pick Russian, cause nobody speaks latin anymore, and i dont know what gaelic is.

tha_mattster
01-07-06, 04:09
you heard gaelic in the TR Legend theme tune :p

people dont speak latin in normal conversation but the point is to be able to read the old texts.

Melonie Tomb Raider
01-07-06, 04:12
I wouldn't advise latin unless you're a historian. I looked into learning it myself, but I changed my mind. If I'm going to spend a lot of time and effort learning a language, I want to learn something I can use and communicate with other people with.

Kamrusepas
01-07-06, 07:23
Latin!

Might not be the most practical one, but I love it, it's such an old language with an interesting history :)

tomblover
01-07-06, 07:33
Japanese!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Apofiss
01-07-06, 07:33
Japanese, Spanish or French.. one of these definitely. Not that I would found a seriously practical usage, just a self-imposed education.

tha_mattster
01-07-06, 07:35
learn english first and read the thread -.-

(karate chops for off topicing! ^.^ )

japanesu no choiceru! Butai canu alreaderu perfeceru japanesu spaikero!

Mad Tony
01-07-06, 07:58
Out of those 3, definitley Russian.
I've always wanted to learn Russian.

Angel_14
01-07-06, 08:01
Latin! Kurtis speaks Latin too ^_^:vlol:

NightWish
01-07-06, 08:02
Italian :D - I have my reasons :D :D :D

AnthonyShock1515
01-07-06, 08:08
. Latin is good if you are planning to work with English language or literature. Its not spoken anymore but it gives you a better understanding of loan words and how we inherited words from it. But u couldn't use it to save your life.;)

Russian is quite easy to learn, it has a different writing system to English, there are no silent letters and it only takes about 2-3 weeks to be able to read the russian script fluently. The language is amazing, sentence structure is straight-forward, there are no words 'am' or for 'the' or 'a', so if you are going to the bank, you would say "I go to bank". Its so simple. But unlike English, adjectives have 3 genders, Masculine, Feminine and neuter. So when describing an object, you must first learn what gender the noun is, then find the adjective with the same gender to describe it. It is quite easy for me, it may be fore you, providing you have studied a lanuage before. It is a largely spoken language and could get you out of some sticky situations. This is an ideal choice.:)

Gaelic is quite a small spoken language. It is spoken in Scotland and parts of Ireland. I have never studied this before; but it looks complicated and pronunciation looks quite complex. It may be helpful but giving this is a minor language, native speakers will most likely speak English.

My ideal reccomendation to you would be Russian. It is spoken in over 10 countries and its very useful. But I would hope you have studied another language, such as French when you were at school, otherwise, you may face some complications. But choose what you like, they all sound fun.

Rivendell
01-07-06, 08:14
Personally I'd go for either Gaelic or Latin. That's only because I don't think I'll ever go to Russia, and I've a high interest in celtic languages, and also Latin for it's etymological roots of English.

:tmb:

tr_mitch
01-07-06, 08:17
Finnish and Japanese.

scion05
01-07-06, 08:30
Japanese :D

Jun~Pax
01-07-06, 08:43
I'd go for Latin if you are of the logical kind! I found Latin to be an extremely logical language. It's really easy if you manage to learn the gender of nouns and the correct declinations of the verbs. Additionally it helps you loads to understand any roman based language. You can also design cool ancient artifacts with inscriptions for Lara if you know an ancient language like Latin. :D

I spent several months teaching myself Latin and have never regretted it so far. It's really the most useful language of the three, imo, and you don't have much of a problem with pronunciation either. ;)

jarhead
01-07-06, 08:51
German all the way. my mum can speak german and i so would have loved to do it in school but instead we had to do french. im more likely to visit germany then france and plus a lot of people around that area of europe can speak something. plus it sounds powerfull :D

wouldnt mind learning japanese either

VonCroy360
01-07-06, 09:03
Russian...
I would like to learn it myself...
:)

L.C
01-07-06, 09:24
Do you speak Italian?

I am Italian!

But it's such an ugly language.

How about... Russian?

Who can forget Jamie Lee Curtis wilting away while listening to John Cleese self-dubbed strip-tease in A Fish Called Wanda? :D

ivannnnn
01-07-06, 09:30
French,English,Latin
those r cool :tmb:

Betal
01-07-06, 09:32
french

badboy70
01-07-06, 09:43
i'd like to learn
1. Gaelic
2. Portugese

for the moment Gaelic is my favourite :cln:, i wonder where i can learn it :confused: does anyone knows that ?

badboy70
01-07-06, 09:44
french
french , god, i hate that, every day in school " comment vas-tu" " employe le futur simple"

i hate it:p

tr_mitch
01-07-06, 09:47
french , god, i hate that, every day in school " comment vas-tu" " employe le futur simple"

i hate it:p

I know what you mean... Jaime l'ordinateur... Mon film prfre.... Je travaille.... J'adore Le Monde.... grrr im glad i'll never have to do french again. :jmp:

badboy70
01-07-06, 09:47
I know what you mean... Jaime l'ordinateur... Mon film prfre.... Je travaille.... J'adore Le Monde.... grrr im glad i'll never have to do french again. :jmp:
you don't ??? i still have to learn it for 4 years; 4 days a week :(

tr_mitch
01-07-06, 09:50
you don't ??? i still have to learn it for 4 years; 4 days a week :(
Nope i've been learning it for 5 years... but now im going into 6th form, and can only choose 4 subjects... so i opted to drop french... its weird thinking that i'll most likely never need to use what i've learnt in 5 years again.
Shame really but AHHH well.

badboy70
01-07-06, 09:52
Nope i've been learning it for 5 years... but now im going into 6th form, and can only choose 4 subjects... so i opted to drop french... its weird thinking that i'll most likely never need to use what i've learnt in 5 years again.
Shame really but AHHH well.
i'd die ( not really :p ) to drop french :(

Tomb Raider Master
01-07-06, 11:52
French, Spanish and Greek. :)

Hurrah4Lara
01-07-06, 13:25
I have the option to be taught a language as part of my degree, but I cant decide which one I want to pick >.<

I've narrowed it down to Gaelic, Russian or Latin.

Which would you pick and why!

Oh, you lucky thing, what a choice!

I don't know anything of Gaelic, but surely all three languages will have their great poetry and literature. I have Russian and Latin, though (no-one to speak Latin with :(). If you are wondering how I know such Latin, when I was little I lived in a monastery for a while :jmp:!

I agree with everything Anthony said about Russian, so for a quick command of a useful language, Russian. It has served me well, and may help you too in your career one day. And as a bonus you'll understand tATu's lyrics!:D

But Jun~Pax above is right too. Latin is fab for understanding how many other languages work, and so makes it easier to learn them. Latin brings understanding of grammar, word origins, and logical argument - and it is so concise :cool:! eg in English 7 words to say "birth is the first step unto death" - in Latin 2 "nascentes morimur" :eek:.

I am interested in the great battles of history (it is the 90th anniversary of the first day of the battle of the Somme today:yik:, 20,000 British killed on 1st day alone :(), and it is so cool to read the original words of the generals. I have been reading Caesar's tactics and now Marshall Zhukov (Kursk Salient, 900,000 Germans v 1.3 million Russians, largest armoured clash of all time :yik:).

Sorry to digress, but I am always excited about languages! Oh, and it's also 'cos the England game starts in less than two hours!

H4L:wve: [Jessika]

Legend of Lara
01-07-06, 14:15
I'd pick Latin. I'ts an old language. I like old stuff. The Sega Mega Drive is still sexy after all them years. :)

AnthonyShock1515
01-07-06, 14:36
Here of my personal list useful languages. They are my opinions of them...

French (English is closely related to this, so you dont have to speak to get out of a situation, just look/listen for keywords that sound like the English and you should understand its context)

German ( I think this is an excelllent choice, it is closely related to English and not as close to Latin like other Mediterranean languages. Plus, giving this language is Germanic, it can allow you to learn Norwegian, Swedish and other Scandinavian tongue without problem)

Spanish (I usually avoid this language as I think it is too plain, but it is spoken throughout the world and is the 3rd most spoken language)

Italian ( Its is nice to learn for the fun, but it is quite restricted and not as well spoken. Its more of a school language, and the best advantage is probably reading the pizza menu.)

Greek ( Not that well spoken but it is very beautiful, it is useful when on holiday and is very fun to use. I personally love using this language, the script is no hurdle to conquer and pronunciation and reading a dawdle.)

Russian ( Great language, widely spoken and is very useful. May not be as delacate as other languages but is quite simple to learn. It would be easier to have previosuly studied a language to get the hang of it.)

Japanese ( A very useful language. Starting with writing fiorst is a bad idea as its just as bad as running ito a brick wall! It is quick tricky with grammar and word order can leave you itching your head. Reading can be a challenge but is worth learning later. It is very easy to learn words and has lovely sound when spoken fluent. Only issue is locals tend to speak really fast.)

Arabic ( GOD! This one will make your throat bleed. I havnt even got past pronunciation, just pronuncing one letter made my voice break! Other than pronunciation, it sounds fun, and useful.)

Hungarian ( This language is quite nice. I really enjoy learning it. It is similar to Finnish. Pronunciation is easy and is flows elegantly off your tongue once you use the right facial gestures. Is a beautiful language, sadly neglected.)

Polish ( Now this is tough, most words will trick you with alternative pronuncation. Remeber with this language not all is as it seems. Certain words sound different to how they are written, and can be confusing. This language is quite useful, and is spoken around Europe. I strongly advise learning another language before confronting this one. This one aint friendly.)

Czech ( This language isnt well spoken, and may not be as useful, but it is very beautiful, and natives will be very surprised by your effort to learn it. It isn't very popular but showing your fluency in this language will raise a few eyebrows with the locals.)

badboy70
01-07-06, 14:40
French (English is closely related to this, so you dont have to speak to get out of a situation, just look/listen for keywords that sound like the English and you should understand its context)

it is ? i don't recognize words in french that look like english

AnthonyShock1515
01-07-06, 14:42
^ Well often it is the case.
3/4 of english word originate from French.
But its still useful to know.

For example
Interesting
Interressant

Secretary
Secretaire

Orange
Orange

Pants (Old word is Pantaloon)
Pantalon

Legend of Lara
01-07-06, 14:45
Því ekki að læra Íslensku? :D Það er ekki auðvelt en maður getur notað það tungumál á ýmsum stöðum. Eins og... og... gleymdu því. :pi: Stay away from that language. It's pretty much useless. :p

Catlantean
01-07-06, 14:45
Japanese, Finnish and French come to mind first. I also wish my German was better, I understand most of what other people say, but when I try to say something it comes out a mess :D

Agent 47
01-07-06, 14:47

are you certain about that?....i left school a decade ago and i'm sure our language pre-dates the French language...due to the fact we've been invaded quite a few times

Saxons, Vikings, Romans......to name but three, if any anything our modern language is derived from those..........now if my history teacher lied i'll go slap him lol

AnthonyShock1515
01-07-06, 14:50
are you certain about that?....i left school a decade ago and i'm sure our language pre-dates the French language...due to the fact we've been invaded quite a few times

Saxons, Vikings, Romans......to name but three, if any anything our modern language is derived from those..........now if my history teacher lied i'll go slap him lol

French was brought over by the Normans.
Some Geordie words have been inherited by the Vikings.

AnthonyShock1515
01-07-06, 14:53
v ekki a lra slensku? :D a er ekki auvelt en maur getur nota a tunguml msum stum. Eins og... og... gleymdu v. :pi: Stay away from that language. It's pretty much useless. :p

I agree. That language is Icelandic, spoken in Iceland, and pretty much nowhere else. Nearly everyone there speaks English, so theres no need to spend 6 in the airport for a phrasebook.;)

But I'm surprised by the amount on Manchester United supporters there are there...

L.C
01-07-06, 14:55

For example
Interesting
Interressant

Secretary
Secretaire

Orange
Orange

Pantalon

French originates from Latin, as does Spanish, Italian, Romanian, etc. English is largely a Germanic language, with quite a bit of Latin thrown in.

For those thinking of the future, the United Nations has 6 "official" languages which should serve anyone very well in practically any situation, should they choose to learn them all: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish

tha_mattster
01-07-06, 14:58
I was told the english language was about 60% germanic, 30% french and the other 10% was from other places.

Anyway thanks for all your replies!

Hurrah4Lara
01-07-06, 14:59

And the French! William the Conqueror in 1066!

Anthony is kinda right but his percentage (French-origin word!) is too high (Saxon-origin word!) :D

H4L:wve:

badboy70
01-07-06, 15:02

For example
Interesting
Interressant

Secretary
Secretaire

Orange
Orange

Pantalon
i didn't knew that :)
i did learned that french came from latin and flemish , am i right or do i mix up the languages again ?
edit : i don't know if it is flemish in english,( in dutch : flemish = Vlaams )

edit 2 : and i think dutch ( belgium ) came from flemish and german

ILG49ers
01-07-06, 17:39
If I were to learn another language it would be French, because some of my relatives speak French. I did attempt to learn how to speak French once, but.... lets just say I didn't stick to it. Ill probably give it another shot though.

Agnese Croft
01-07-06, 17:49
Russian is good..it's not hard to learn..

Hybrid Soldier
01-07-06, 17:53
German. Don't know why but it sounds cool to me and i enjoy hearing people speak Germa.

Jamie18
01-07-06, 17:57
I think Russian would be the most useful, as the 21st century progresses.

The most interesting would be Gaelic IMHO.

Agnese Croft
01-07-06, 18:23
Latvian..lol kiddin..you should pic what you like the most..ooh yea, you cant decide..lol

Janny
01-07-06, 18:25
German, it's hard to find a job without knowing that language.

Melonie Tomb Raider
01-07-06, 18:31
Japanese!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

That's what I'm learning. ;)