PDA

View Full Version : Horror Movie Clichés That Need to Die Already

Lenochka
11-07-06, 15:53
Horror Movie Clichés That Need to Die Already

These played-out plot elements have worn out their cinematic welcome.

Maxim Online, Jul 2006

Children singing
Movies: Nightmare on Elm Street, The Blair Witch Project, Children of the Corn
One, two think of something new. Three, four this isn't scary any more. Five, six…seriously, it worked for Nightmare on Elm Street, but it's 2006 and it's going to take a lot more than a whispery version of "Bah, Bah, Black Sheep" to spill our popcorn.

Violin music
Movies: The Shining, Psycho, every other movie ever made
Except for a short period in the '80s when synthesizers ruled, screechy violins have been sitting atop the horror world for way too long. It's not that they aren't a good fit—we just think it's kind of a cop-out to use an instrument that sounds like a pig being slaughtered even when played by a seasoned professional. We'll be impressed when someone makes the ukulele scary.

Bathtubs/showers
Movies: Body Snatchers, The Ring Two, Dark Water, What Lies Beneath, Slither, The Grudge
What makes bathing scenes so popular in horror? Could it be the sense of vulnerability we all feel while bathing? Could it be the thought-free justification of gratuitous nudity? Could it be that no one in Hollywood is screwed up enough to think of a new room in which to spill blood? Our guess is all of the above.

Staticky TV
Movies: Poltergeist, White Noise, The Ring, Pulse
When we see a TV deprived of quality cable programming, we feel sad, not scared.

Satan
Movies: The Exorcist, The Omen, Salem's Lot, Prince of Darkness, Rosemary's Baby, The Amityville Horror, Angel Heart
The Prince of Darkness (the actual prince, not the movie) has a pretty good track record when it comes to appearing on heavy metal records, but his choice of movie appearances isn't quite up to snuff. There have been a couple of great ones, but after watching The Exorcism of Emily Rose, we're a little wary that we might have sold our soul to a falling star.

Hillbillies
Movies: The Hills Have Eyes, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, House of Wax, Motel Hell, House of 1000 Corpses
It's really unfair to assume every person who lives in a dilapidated shack, at the bottom of a hill, with no teeth, bare feet, one eye, a bunch of rotting chicken carcasses instead of a carpet, and a lampshade made of human skin is some kind of weirdo. Erase the hate, people.

Masks
Movies: Friday the 13th, Halloween, Scream, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
It doesn't seem like someone willing to go on a murderous rampage should be all that worried about covering up hideous scars or protecting his identity. Trust us, people are going to be too worried about trying to shove their intestines back into their torso to notice a clogged pore or two.

Circus/clowns
Movies: Nightbreed, Something Wicked This Way Comes, It, Saw, Poltergeist, S.I.C.K., Clownhouse, FreaksSure, we were scared of clowns…when we were like two! Burn! But seriously, how could anyone find these whimsical, beer-soaked ex-husbands anything other than hilarious? It's time to start picking on another irritating, aging performer with a painted face. We hear Gene Simmons is available.

M. Night Shyamalan
Movies: Lady in the Water, The Village, Signs, Unbreakable, The Sixth Sense
Ask anyone what they think about M. Night Shyamalan and they'll inevitably say, "Well, The Sixth Sense was pretty good, I guess. I figured it out right at the beginning, though. I didn't say it out loud or anything…but I was thinking it the whole time. Other than that, The Village ****in' sucked." We're hoping his next movie has a really surprising twist ending that's not really stupid. We're not holding our breath, though.

Bad priests
Movies: Poltergeist II, Children of the Corn, The Blob, Silver Bullet
You can't blame a guy for going on a killing spree or two, especially when you consider the fact that his religious obligations will forever prevent him from getting his trombone rusty. But it's time to move on to rampaging rabbis or throat-slashing Scientologists.

Prisons
Movies: Horror Show, Body Parts, Shocker, Alien 3, Prison
If HBO has taught us anything, it's that exercise yard shankings and routine rape have made jail scary enough as it is. There's no need to rub any more salt in the perforated anus by adding ghosts, ghouls, and other monsters not serving time for petty computer fraud.

I kinda agree with all of these... how about you?

raiderfun
11-07-06, 16:03
Bad priest - poltergeist , i don't think so

Rivendell
11-07-06, 16:08
I think there's quite a lot in that list that taps into the subconscious in a deliberately scary way- just because something is old, doesn't make it less scary. There's reasons for example why masks and hillbillies and even clowns can be scary- the fear of the unknown. It's age old, and just because it's 'cliche' doesn't make it bad!

Legend of Lara
11-07-06, 17:28
I agree with showers/baths, hillbillies, clowns, staticy TV and satan. Those were scary that one time. What next? The horrific mystery of showers/baths, hillbillies, clowns, staticy TV and satan? Those are the most annoying clichés of them all!!!

Genocide
12-07-06, 02:47
you forgot
Uncontrollably falling over
and
saying hello to whoever has invaded your house

PirateRose
12-07-06, 04:20
[SIZE="2"]
[B]M. Night Shyamalan
Movies: Lady in the Water, The Village, Signs, Unbreakable, The Sixth Sense
Ask anyone what they think about M. Night Shyamalan and they'll inevitably say, "Well, The Sixth Sense was pretty good, I guess. I figured it out right at the beginning, though. I didn't say it out loud or anything…but I was thinking it the whole time. Other than that, The Village ****in' sucked." We're hoping his next movie has a really surprising twist ending that's not really stupid. We're not holding our breath, though.

I've never really thought of him as too much of a horror movie guy, or any of his films for that matter.
The Village only sucked because people were expecting it to be a hard core horror. It was more of a symbolic film, well I enjoyed it anyways. =P

Lenochka
12-07-06, 04:23
you forgot
Uncontrollably falling over
and
saying hello to whoever has invaded your house

omg that second one XD

*glass breaks*
" Hello...? "

like there gonna answer back XD

Shark_Blade
12-07-06, 05:17
lmao XD

I just watched "Hostel" by Quentin Tarantino yesterday.
The cliches is that anyone who had sex will be dead.

Sex = death

in scary movies,anyway.

Has anyone seen the "house of wax"? Where their friends are having fun in at night in a tent in some godforsaken jungle.And then the killer just slaughter them when they're doing it.

"House of dead".terrible movie.same old concept.It gotten some of the worst ratings in scary movies history btw. XD XD

Spitfire
12-07-06, 05:20
Um, i know this sounds odd but those things you call cliches are what make horror films horror. As much as they are overplayed they continue to be used because new commers havent seen them and old fans enjoyed them.

I can't see a horror movie, even an original one atleast not using a few of those.