PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of Carribean drifts aimlessly

wantafanta
15-07-06, 22:31
I saw the movie yesterday - but it wasn't as good as the 1st POC. The plot was confusing and the story lacked focus. It had some great special effects and entertaining action scenes. But the film didn't have a start - middle - end to it. It just sort of stopped. I walked away with a shrug. I took 3 kids with me ages 10, 8 and 3. Even they weren't paying attention all the time. But they would to the first movie I would bet. Kids know best what works and what doesn't.

Betal
15-07-06, 22:33
I haven't seen it yet. I will soon:)

wantafanta
15-07-06, 22:35
I wouldn't bother - but go if you must. Some great makeup and SFX but that's not enough to make it a good movie.

tr_mitch
15-07-06, 22:37
I've heard really good things about it, this is the first time i've heard from someone dissapointed.
But yeah i will go and see it, many critics have said it's just as good as potc1.

Betal
15-07-06, 22:38
All my friends love that movie:D

Rivendell
15-07-06, 22:41
So do all mine, I've heard nothing but praise for it except from about 2 reviewers and a few people who think the same as you do. Can't understand how, exactly!

I've seen it twice, and am going again next week- excellent film, a real 'Empire Strikes Back' of Pirate movies :jmp:

wantafanta
15-07-06, 22:42
It's not the kind of movie you'll be thinking about the next day. You'll just forget about it. Believe me, the 1st one was much better than POC-DMC. See if I'm right and post back after you've gone.

Betal
15-07-06, 22:43
Soon me and my family will go:) Then I say what I though about the movie:D

Rivendell
15-07-06, 22:43
Personally I was thinking about it constantly from the moment I left the cinema til I saw it again a few days later. Everything about the film had me gripped, so I'd have to say you're not right ;)

TR3LaraCroft
16-07-06, 01:53
I agree with you wantafanta. I did not care for it. I just felt kind of cheated leaving the theater. There are so many needless thing in the film, everything was shot up in the air and nothing was solved. I will probably wait and see the third one on DvD

This is from the reviews on amazon.com :

"A compelling storyline is traded in for action sequences, and I am left baffled at why the movie is allowed over two and a half hours to tell itself."

that pretty much sums it up for me. 1 or 2 things I liked, but thats about it.

viper456
16-07-06, 02:18
i didnt think much to the first one when everyone was raving about it! its the length, its to loooong my bum gets numb! lol

the second one i thought was waaay better! kept me entertained for all 3 hours :) (bum still hurt but nevermind)

Spitfire
16-07-06, 03:36
way to long...i didnt like it to much but then again i didnt like the original...just saw it for my little cousins.

katmandoo
16-07-06, 03:39
I just got back from seeing it about an hour ago with my gf and I liked it but I haven't seen the first one though. :(

Soma Holiday
16-07-06, 03:59
I absolutely loved this movie, and I love the 1st one too. I dunno, I've seen it 3 times and I like it more the more I see it. I think the story is way underdeveloped, but the dialogue and characters make up for it...I just love it so much haha...but the best is that it reminds me of the original and didn't dissapoint me like most sequels do...

and notice my sig lol...fav part!

Lonely Istari
16-07-06, 04:30
It's not the kind of movie you'll be thinking about the next day. You'll just forget about it. Believe me, the 1st one was much better than POC-DMC. See if I'm right and post back after you've gone.

I think the first movie was probably better, but I definitely did think about the 2nd one the next day. :D I really think it was an interesting story with a lot of unexpected twists. I did get confused here and there, but all in all, I enjoyed the film very much :D

oocladableeblah
16-07-06, 06:53
i wanna see this movie, sequels are usually not as good as the first one

Rivendell
16-07-06, 08:29

That's what I thought, I was pleasantly surprised :D

tr_mitch
16-07-06, 08:38

Scream 2
Jurassic Park 2
X-men 2
Scary Movie 2
Shrek 2

All in my opinion better than the first :)

v.dog
16-07-06, 08:52
You forgot Aliens.I saw the movie yesterday - but it wasn't as good as the 1st POC. The plot was confusing and the story lacked focus. It had some great special effects and entertaining action scenes. But the film didn't have a start - middle - end to it. It just sort of stopped. I walked away with a shrug. I took 3 kids with me ages 10, 8 and 3. Even they weren't paying attention all the time. But they would to the first movie I would bet. Kids know best what works and what doesn't.The movie is a clear case of Second Act Syndrome (SAS). The first one was made as a standalone movie, and was so successful that they could create two sequels. The first sequel is typically the second act, the setup for the grand finale. Star Wars did this, and did this well. The Matrix, did this, and did it poorly.

Being aware of this, I personally quite enjoyed it. The whole 'Jack on a spit' sequence was worth the price of admission.

Lavinder
16-07-06, 09:05
I was hooked all the way through, it is not the most plotly thick movies but it is still very enjoyable to watch. I loved the soundtrack so much, i'm listening to it now!

I found that Kiera was a great humour with her hissy fits, the other movie never made me laugh.

:)

CuteKittenlol
16-07-06, 09:28
I saw that last saturday and i thought it was great :D :tmb:

Trigger_happy
16-07-06, 09:46
i love the movie too, its great!!!! My thoughts is that maybe a thrilling stroy line and hugely developed characters was reduced so that the moie is more about fun and less about telling a really good story- it is meant for kids after all.

Rivendell
16-07-06, 09:51
Don't know why people were saying it had a thin plot, I thought the plot was pretty great!

You have the Faust type demon Davy Jones, who makes bargains with the dying to keep them alive in sacrifice of their soul, and the hero who's trying to cheat this demon by killing him.
They search for his heart which he's stowed away in a hidden chest, and 4 different contenders want it for different reasons.
The E.I.T.C wants it to get rid of all the pirates
Jack wants it to stop the Kraken from destroying the pearl and his life
Will wants to kill Davy to save his father
Norrington wants it to get a full pardon

It provides quite a few great twists and not to mention the last 10 minutes, which sets us up brilliantly for PotC 3!

TombRaiderLover
16-07-06, 11:39
I've heard bad things about it. The review on dvdtimes was terrible.