PDA

View Full Version : Reincarnation

Paperdoll
17-07-06, 15:24
Wether it's a part of your beliefs or not, I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on this. We had quite a few "What's your religion" threads but I think we should try something a little different this time :p Do you believe in it, what do you think of the overall concept, etc.

I don't particularly believe in it, I don't have a very strong belief that it will happen but I consider it as a possibility. I think it's a rather optimistic concept in the sense that there's not a particular bad ending to it, you keep on learning and progressing. I don't know much about it so I think that this thread, besides allowing us to know everyone's view (wether they believe in it or not) will allow us to know a bit more about the concept.

Now post away :D

Lara's Boy
17-07-06, 15:25
I don't believe in re-incarnation, but I think it is an interesting view. I believe the traditional Baptist belief....once one has died, they either go to Heaven or Hell.

:wve:

CuteKittenlol
17-07-06, 15:27
I dont think anything happens when we die, thats it your dead end of. How would we know if we had been reincarnated anyway :confused: ? thats what confuses me, IF we had all been reincarnated how come non of us remember our 'past lifes'?

Catapharact
17-07-06, 15:30
Nope, don't believe in it. Though it is an interesting idea. Certainly my kinda punishment Lol! You walk as a lesser creature eveytime you commit attocities in your life.

Lara's Boy
17-07-06, 15:31
That is the question I have always had....how does one know they have been reincarnated? How did the tradition of reincarnation begin? To me, it seems there would have to be a repeating cycle of lives.....How did the first 'life' come to be repeated, and is it only repeated in certain people? I don't know, it is kinda confusing for me, lol

xMiSsCrOfTx
17-07-06, 15:31
Nope, don;t believe in it. Though it is an interesting idea.

Yep, I agree with you.

Paperdoll
17-07-06, 15:32
That also depends on your view of a lesser creature :p for the ancient greeks (if my philosophy teacher didn't lie to us XD) it was worse to reincarnate as a woman than as a bee.

That's the only view I studied of reincarnation (Socrates) and from what I remember the spirit would be sort of erased before entering a body.

Mad Tony
17-07-06, 15:36
I don't believe in re-incarnation, but I think it is an interesting view. I believe the traditional Baptist belief....once one has died, they either go to Heaven or Hell.

Same Here ;)

Catapharact
17-07-06, 15:37
That's the only view I studied of reincarnation (Socrates) and from what I remember the spirit would be sort of erased before entering a body.

You have to look at the Buddist view :). Its a bit more elaborate.

StarCroft:AOD
17-07-06, 15:37
The life is a complete mistery if I have'nt seen that it doesn't means that doesn't exist; There's a God, anything is posible. Sorry.:)

Paperdoll
17-07-06, 15:38
I'll have to look up some books on it when I get off school, never actually had the motivation to do it until I started studying it in school :D

Catapharact
17-07-06, 15:39
I'll have to look up some books on it when I get off school, never actually had the motivation to do it until I started studying it in school :D

You should :). I also recommend you look up their view of Nirvana and enlightment. Its quite interesting.

Paperdoll
17-07-06, 15:40
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitily look those up :tmb:

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-07-06, 16:16
No, I don't believe in reincarnation. :wve:

illuminati30
17-07-06, 16:19
Nope, don't believe in it. Though it is an interesting idea. Certainly my kinda punishment Lol! You walk as a lesser creature eveytime you commit attocities in your life.

Dunno about lesser creatures, but did you know you are gay in the next life? :tea:

Rivendell
17-07-06, 16:20
I believe in it.

I don't believe "When we die our souls are put back into a higher/lesser creature according to our actions in a previous life", and I don't believe we get to choose who or what we come back as either; I think it just happens. I just believe our souls, part of the spiritual energy of the universe that links everything together, is recycled into another being sometime after we die.
I don't believe in heaven or hell in the conventional sense what so ever.

jarhead
17-07-06, 16:21
i dont believe in it. i would be curious as to why people believe in reincarnation and that. however i dont believe in it and i never will

illuminati30
17-07-06, 16:23
I think i must have been a male chauvinistic arrogant homophobic God feaing arrogant pig in the last life.

I come back this time as a male feminist less arrogant (most of the time :D ) gay, God loving arrogant pig this time :D

illuminati30
17-07-06, 16:25
That also depends on your view of a lesser creature :p for the ancient greeks (if my philosophy teacher didn't lie to us XD) it was worse to reincarnate as a woman than as a bee.

:vlol:

Who taught you that? Although i guess bees are pretty cool and they dance the ring of infinity, and the female dominates. I guess the human female does have to put up with substantially more **** than the queen bee.

Paperdoll
17-07-06, 16:27
I guess they didn't like women that much :p Socrates even prefered to spend his last hours of lfie discussing philosophy with his buds than with his wife :vlol: I'd ask my philosophy teacher again but then I'd have no escape other than a 5th floor window XD

Rivendell
17-07-06, 16:29
Lol! perhaps that's where the idea comes from that talking to plants helps them grow- not only physically, but mentally too ;)

illuminati30
17-07-06, 16:31
Socrates was an ancient Greek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greece) philosopher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy) who is widely credited for laying the foundation for Western philosophy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_philosophy).

I guess they didn't like women that much

I guess not!

Catapharact
17-07-06, 16:31
Well you have remember that Ancient Greeks (Especiall Athenianas) looked down upon womens the weaker sex. Women at the time had no rights. They were supposed to be simple hoursewives and Baby Factories; nothing more. Socroties even refers to love as a homosexual affair since he didn't want to mention women.

Spartans were a different story.

Lavinder
17-07-06, 16:33
I don't know really what to believe. We will never know untill we have died, but it is still fun to guess.
I believe that there is a possibility (being a LOST fan and all :p.. Boar.. )

jarhead
17-07-06, 16:35
could you imagine being a boar if your reincarnated.

im a sciency man rather then spiritual, so in my mind its impossible to come back to life after you have died only then to become a different animal

Rivendell
17-07-06, 16:39
I've just realised why I don't think we'll come back as a 'lesser' creature.
I don't think there are lesser creatures. I think there are creatures, full stop. It's human arrogance and dominance that makes them 'lesser beings' - but we're all alive, we're all here: what really makes one more important and one 'lesser' than the other? Because humans have that 'intelligence' thing? So what! Doesn't really make us more important in my mind.

(Great thread btw Paperdoll :tmb: )

illuminati30
17-07-06, 16:43
I've just realised why I don't think we'll come back as a 'lesser' creature.
I don't think there are lesser creatures. I think there are creatures, full stop. It's human arrogance and dominance that makes them 'lesser beings' - but we're all alive, we're all here: what really makes one more important and one 'lesser' than the other? Because humans have that 'intelligence' thing? So what! Doesn't really make us more important in my mind.

(Great thread btw Paperdoll :tmb: )

I agree with you, although the bible says we are better than them all, and some people choose to believe that.

Rivendell
17-07-06, 16:46
One of the reasons i disagree with the Bible. ;)

Catapharact
17-07-06, 16:47
And thus it comes down to misinterpertation again. God gave humans the mastery over animals yes. But God also said to treat the animals with kindness and compassion since they are God's creatures as well.

Catlantean
17-07-06, 16:48
Not sure I believe in any sort of afterlife, but out of all the possibilities reincarnation seems most logical. Perhaps God, Devil, Heaven and Hell aren't really meant to be comprehended by human logic, but when you think about the enormous number of people who have died in the history...Heaven is organized in a smart way so that only a tiny percentage (if any) gets in, but wouldn't Hell be bursting at the seams by now?

Rivendell
17-07-06, 16:50
^ Reminds me of that old exam paper / Hell exothermic / Endothermic joke ;)

17-07-06, 16:55
So that's why in the end of AOD the kurtis weapon...? forgot is name... is acting weird...

Rivendell
17-07-06, 16:55
Because Kurtis came back from hell? :confused:

17-07-06, 16:57
Maybe his soul is now contained in that weapon:p

Rivendell
17-07-06, 17:09
Welll.. spiritually speaking..

Kurtis controlled that weapon via psycho/telekinesis as far as I'm aware. This is often referred to as a 'psychic power'. Personally I believe that psychic energy is somehow connected to the soul; so perhaps part of Kurtis' soul is connected to that weapon, savvy?

;)

ILG49ers
17-07-06, 17:14
I don't believe in reincarnation. :wve:

17-07-06, 17:17
Yeah but I mean his complete soul is now in that weapon so him still can have full control of that; according to the fmv it's so weird that kurtis doesn't show up if he's alive? Ah I hope this is not off topic:o

Ampersand
17-07-06, 17:22
I don't believe in reincarnation. :)

(Don't wanna be an ant in my next life! *wail* :( :D)

Paperdoll
17-07-06, 17:23
It is a bit... reincarnation is regarding living beings, not inanimate objects. That's what the chirugai is, as far I know, it's not an alien :p

Amp just for that you'll turn into a hippo!!! :vlol:

Thorir
17-07-06, 17:23
Not really... The thought is interesting, but I don't like the idea of Karma. I think it's sort of depressing to think that you will keep living until "you get it right" in a way...! I don't believe in right or wrong, and there's no rewards in the afterlife.

I believe more in the Kami aspect of Shintoism. :)

tr_mitch
17-07-06, 17:51
I really don't know what to believe, as there's no definate answer... In a way i do kinda believe it it... and i want to believe in it. I don't like the idea that death is the end and your never ever, ever,ever, ever :o going to be alive again. Thus i don't believe in Heaven and Hell, so reincarnation for me, is the only thing that's keeping me from being scared of Death.
I believe we come back as new people again, are souls in a way are recycled.

Mona Sax
17-07-06, 18:04
I don't believe in reincarnation. The Buddhist version that divides humans and animals in "levels" (live a good life and you ascend) is interesting, but it fundamentally contradicts my belief that all creatures are equal.

Of course everything is possible, but I find the "final curtain" theory (You die and that's it. No heaven, no second chances) to be the most likely because I don't believe in souls and I think body and spirit are inseparable.

Rivendell
17-07-06, 18:07
Mona, I think you're the first person I've met who doesn't believe in the soul! O.o

tr_mitch
17-07-06, 18:08
Of course everything is possible, but I find the "final curtain" theory (You die and that's it. No heaven, no second chances) to be the most likely because I don't believe in souls and I think body and spirit are inseparable.

It's the most believable theory... But the most feared, I hate to imagine that it's all over when you die... full stop.. Never again.

I don't believe in reincarnation as animals or insects, but as different people yes, i guess we just have to wait and see huh?

Mona Sax
17-07-06, 18:14
It's the most believable theory... But the most feared, I hate to imagine that it's all over when you die... full stop.. Never again.

I don't believe in reincarnation as animals or insects, but as different people yes, i guess we just have to wait and see huh?
We'll definitely have to wait and see, that's why people telling you they know what's going to happen are very dubious.

It's understandable that many people are afraid there might be no afterlife at all, but I think the thought is quite liberating. If you don't have a second shot, you have to make the best of the time you get. And all the "you're going to hell" threats aren't so impressive anymore either... :D

tr_mitch
17-07-06, 18:22
We'll definitely have to wait and see, that's why people telling you they know what's going to happen are very dubious.

It's understandable that many people are afraid there might be no afterlife at all, but I think it's quite liberating. If you don't have a second shot, you have to make the best of the time you get. And all the "you're going to hell" threats aren't so impressive anymore either... :D

I'm sure that will wipe the smile right off there faces. I see it this way and i know im going a bit Off topic of reincarnation.

I respect people who believe in certain beliefs I.e the bible.
I myself do not belong to any religion, and i never will... It annoys me when some christians say 'Believe in the bible or you will go to hell'... Well i'm sorry but to me, there's as much point believing in the bible as a harry potter book.

If god is real and everything... Surely he can see why we might doubt his existance, we're supposed to believe everything written in a book? I don't think so.
Most religious people i know, tend to be very spiteful... They've made people cry by scaring them into 'what they believe is right'... and i know not all religious people are like this by any means, but it's just personal experience.
And that's probably the reason i resent religion so much, i see it as the cause of all wars and conflict, When it's meant to be something which makes the world better.... So far, i'm yet to see anything good come out of it.