PDA

View Full Version : Troy: Personal Amends.

Catapharact
18-07-06, 15:20
Well it took me a while to actually apprecite the movie.

Those who have read the illiad before were obviously quite disappointed in Troy since it took away all what the book stood for. To show Troy without the presence of Greek pagan gods would be like making a movie on the bible without referencing anything about divinity. Not only that, the movie twisted quite a bit of important events; Ajax didn't die before Achillies.

However, going though the movie again pointed out quite a lot of things. The presence of the gods was implied rather than actually shown in front (though some would argue, that is not good enough.) Furthermore, the main Heroes are far more complex than I gavethem credit for. I give more credit to Achillies as a leader than Hector; Achillies doesn't hesitates in battle and is resolute in his actions; Its either do or die for him; No middle ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf4IoxEUmHM&mode=related&search=Troy

Out of the entire movie, this one scene spoke volumes about Hector and Achillies.

Catapharact
18-07-06, 16:12
BTW True fact:

this is the last scene of the movie they shot....brad hurt his achilles haha how ironic so they put this fight scene till the end and after the hurricane torn down the set...they had to rebuild it....sweet stuff

tha_mattster
18-07-06, 16:22
I saw the film at the cinema. I didn't enjoy it. Not a fan of the actors in it. It was better than alexander though! Angelina Jolie's worst performance ever.

What is the problem with Achilles heel? Was it a curse or something?

ILG49ers
18-07-06, 16:26
I thought the movie was really good! While it wasn't great, it still was a really interesting film, IMO. :tmb:

Catapharact
18-07-06, 16:30
Well the critics didn't wuite like it since it tore the illiad apart; The movie twised the turn of events in the poem quite a bit.

However, I kinda took it as a more... "Open Senerio" depiction of the poem. Hector was still Princely and Achillies still the Egotist (Ego achieves ppl ;).)

Metaldud
18-07-06, 17:53
I liked it, but I do agree that it does twist Homer's depictions of the war in ways few can. For instance, the war as described by Homer was 10 years long, but it looks like it only takes 2-3 weeks, and the characters don't age one bit. Strange indeed. Add to that there may never have actually been a Trojan horse, in that what could have destroyed Troy's walls might have actually been a battering ram or even natural disaster, according to various archeologists.

Catapharact
18-07-06, 19:48
Oh yes definately. See the illiad refers to the fact that the Trojans "Broke Down their walls" to let the Horse in.

Figure of Speech? Maybe.

Paperdoll
18-07-06, 20:09
I saw the film at the cinema. I didn't enjoy it. Not a fan of the actors in it. It was better than alexander though! Angelina Jolie's worst performance ever.

What is the problem with Achilles heel? Was it a curse or something?

If I remember correctly, Achilles was submersed by his mother (not sure about this) in some magic water/river while she grabbed him by his heels, so that part wasn't submersed, being vulnerable.

I actually enjoyed the movie specially because of the lack of gods' interference. It sort of gives it a more "realistic" feel. I've seen too much movies with gods messing around so it was nice to see a change :D

Hurrah4Lara
18-07-06, 21:21
Thanks for starting this thread, Catapharact, I'm gonna see this film - it sounds good :jmp:!

I'm pleased that you and others in this thread know the Iliad - it's one of my faves. And now I shall try to play a little joke on you :D:

(excuse the English - I am translating/remembering a famous translation)

Ego achieves ppl

Restrain the haughty spirit in thy breast, better far is gentle courtesy.:ton:

H4L:wve:

CerebralAssassin
18-07-06, 21:29
Illiad?!?>>>>>>>>http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sick/sick0021.gif

I had to put up with that crap in high school!!:mad: !

Wolfguard
18-07-06, 22:15
Awesome scene. Yeah, I didn't think the movie was as bad as everyone said it was. It wasn't the greatest movie, but it was nowhere near abyssmal.