PDA

View Full Version : Britain bakes as temperatures sore

Greenkey2
18-07-06, 17:13
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/natur/nature-smiley-015.gif

I'm about as central as you can get in England. The thermometer in our hall currently reads 28 degrees Celsius.

At least I'm not on the London underground: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5191604.stm

I must have drunk about ten bottles of water today. Is anyone else feeling the heat?

Mona Sax
18-07-06, 17:14
Why do you bake when temperatures are already high? :ton:

Scottlee
18-07-06, 17:15
Is anyone else feeling the heat?

Yes :(

Our office is having a special wear-what-you-want day tomorow, in anticipation of another scorcher.

Andromeda66
18-07-06, 17:15
Awww you baking at 28 :hug: :D

JasonDavies15
18-07-06, 17:17
Absolutely baking over here it's 32 degrees celcius in Southend in Essex. I am so sticky and very hot and bothered.

Catapharact
18-07-06, 17:18
You guys... Pffftt... 28 Degrees C? I consider that Candlelight Lol!

29°C is the evening Temperature here.

JasonDavies15
18-07-06, 17:20

29C is the evening Temperature here.

Yeah well over here in Britain we arn't used to hot temperatures.

tha_mattster
18-07-06, 17:20
@cat:

well you live in a desert :P

If i want warm weather I would live in england, but as I live in scotland I do not expect this sort of weather! I hate it! I'm moving to norway :mad:

Nicky
18-07-06, 17:21

LOL exactly! :D We down here even get 28 in May and it's considered cool.

If you guys are baking at 28, I wonder what would you do if you got our 38 and 40 degrees :whi:

interstellardave
18-07-06, 17:21
Yeah well over here in Britain we arn't used to hot temperatures.

The mugginess makes it a lot worse than a dry heat (which I'm certainly assuming Cat has in Saudi Arabia). Where I live in the USA it's usually a very muggy kind of heat as well--quite brutal, especially if it's over 38 celcius (100+ fahrenheit).

Greenkey2
18-07-06, 17:24
I did say it was 28 degrees indoors, in the shade, in the coolest part of the house. Thank god we have good insulation :D

Outside the ground is too hot to stand on. I know because I foolishly went out to water the plants wihtout any sandles on and had to pour water on my feet to stop them burning :(

The local weather says it's been about 34 degrees today. That's waaay too hot by our humble English standards :rolleyes:

Besides, it's British perogative to complain about the weather :p

interstellardave
18-07-06, 17:26
I did say it was 28 degrees indoors, in the shade, in the coolest part of the house. Thank god we have good insulation :D

Outside the ground is too hot to stand on. I know because I foolishly went out to water the plants wihtout any sandles on and had to pour water on my feet to stop them burning :(

The local weather says it's been about 34 degrees today. That's waaay too hot by our humble English standards :rolleyes:

Besides, it's British perogative to complain about the weather :p

I'm guessing no air-conditioning? Run out and buy one!

rachkitten
Its been awful today in Britain. The temperature today was about 32 degrees, in the weekend i went out to a theme park and it was 34 degrees celcius :eek:
I cant cope, the heat is UNBEARABLE!!!

BlackGrey
Too hot, can't stay near pc, sitting in one place is a bad idea :cln:

Catapharact
18-07-06, 17:27
@cat:

well you live in a desert :P

Misconception. Not all of Saudi Arabia is a desert. I live at a place called Taif; A lush valley town situated on top of the Al-Shifa mountain chain.

LOL exactly! :D We down here even get 28 in May and it's considered cool.

If you guys are baking at 28, I wonder what would you do if you got our 38 and 40 degrees :whi:

LOL! BTW: I may be dropping by Greece next year :). University Trip; Gonna see the area around the Franchthi Cave.

The mugginess makes it a lot worse than a dry heat (which I'm certainly assuming Cat has in Saudi Arabia). Where I live in the USA it's usually a very muggy kind of heat as well--quite brutal, especially if it's over 38 celcius (100+ fahrenheit).

Depends where you live in Saudi Arabia. The Coastal areas are specially Muggy. the Humidity is so severe sometimes that you can't survivie one bit without a case of bottled water in your car Lol!

Scottlee
18-07-06, 17:28
I wonder what would you do if you got our 38 and 40 degrees :whi:

We would walk around naked, is what we would do. You Greeks are crazy. How anyone can live in anything above '30' is beyond me, and that goes for all you Mexican, Indians, and everyone else laughing at the English.

We like to be cold, and 28 degrees is just horrible. :( I can't wait for Autumn.

Lenochka
18-07-06, 17:33
its hot in the U.S. at the moment also...

tha_mattster
18-07-06, 17:34
Misconception. Not all of Saudi Arabia is a desert. I live at a place called Taif; A lush valley town situated on top of the Al-Shifa mountain chain.

I googled some pics of al taif and it looks like a desert to me :ton:

Ampersand
18-07-06, 17:36
It is too hot, but I'm OK indoors. :) But I've been to the Philippines (in winter, admittedly) and it was supposedly hotter - I had no problem with it then though, it was a different sort of heat. :o

Catapharact
18-07-06, 17:36
I googled some pics of al taif and it looks like a desert to me :ton:

http://www.sais.8k.com/taif.html

Enlightment ;).

Nicky
18-07-06, 17:37
LOL! BTW: I may be dropping by Greece next year :). University Trip; Gonna see the area around the Franchthi Cave.
Wow, really? :) If you do, you can contact me :)

We would walk around naked, is what we would do.
Interesting prospect :whi: :mis: :D

You Greeks are crazy.
This, we are :p :D

interstellardave
18-07-06, 17:38

Enlightment ;).

Ahhhh... high elevation accounts for lower temps and more rainfall... makes sense.

tha_mattster
18-07-06, 17:39
yes I looked at pics, and yes I do see some trees but it still looks awfully dry.

Lavinder
18-07-06, 17:40
It is going to be 38C where I live tomorrow :hea:

Catapharact
18-07-06, 17:40
Wow, really? :) If you do, you can contact me :)

Hopefully. The Classical Studies department has been quite unerfunded but then again, the trip usually is reserved for further research. Man... My head hurts just thinking about that damned Term Paper on the Franchthi Cave Lol!

Greenkey2
18-07-06, 17:41

Enlightment ;).

Nice....but I'd still prefer Antarctica right now ;)

Oh dear; just realised I've spelt soar as sore :o Well, those of us who are sunburnt probably are, so it's partly true :p

Catapharact
18-07-06, 17:41
Ahhhh... high elevation accounts for lower temps and more rainfall... makes sense.

Yep. The problem is though, the mountain chain also accounts for the rain show effect on lower elevation towns. The moutains suck up all the rain Lol!

Elysia
18-07-06, 17:42
My husband lived in Saudi for all of his childhood, and even he is finding the heat oppressive... not so much the temperature (it's over 30oC), but the mugginess. We just aren't prepared for it over here - in Saudi, the day was structured around the heat and everywhere had air con (even in the 80's - 90's) or fans to help keep the air moving. In the UK, things are built to keep the cold out, not to keep us cool! We also have no choice but to keep on working during the middle of the day - my classroom hit 35oC+ today at 1.30pm (during Period5). There is even talk of them sending kids home early tomorrow if it gets as bad as that again.

Catapharact
18-07-06, 17:44
My husband lived in Saudi for all of his childhood, and even he is finding the heat oppressive...

Awwww... He is getting Soft :p Lol! (I Joke, I joke ;) )

BTW: There goe my pale skin. About time too. I usually get all tanned up right in the begining of Summer.

tha_mattster
18-07-06, 17:47
http://www.truecolorearth.com/tce-Scotland-snow.jpg

http://www.gesource.ac.uk/satellite/1226.jpg

Come on! it is a bloody desert :jmp:

Catapharact
18-07-06, 17:50
Come on! it is a bloody desert :jmp:

You need to visit the major cities to get a glimpse of how modernization has transformed the country :).

Usually, Summer is the best time to perform the Umrah (Sort of like a mini-Hajj.) I usually do it once every month. The holy mosques have the latest in comfort technology. Even the tiles are Cool to the touch Lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDkklvShg_o&search=Saudi%20Arabia%20Mosques

Beautiful, Neh?

xMiSsCrOfTx
18-07-06, 17:54
Where I live, yesterday, it was about 112 degrees farenheit. Well, maybe not quite that hot, but it definitely felt like it with the humidity. It was REALLY hot!

Neteru
18-07-06, 17:54
29.5° inside here right now. I have the fan about 6 inches from me. Too damn hot.

Lenochka
18-07-06, 17:55
Where I live, yesterday, it was about 112 degrees farenheit. Well, maybe not quite that hot, but it definitely felt like it with the humidity. It was REALLY hot!

omg i live rather close to you... like one or 2 states away and yes it was HOT. man that was the hottest it has been in a lonng time XD i took like 4 showers to cool off... right now i have 2 air conditioners running its 72 degrees in my house at the moment. Lays on the cold basment floor hehe

Catapharact
18-07-06, 17:56
29.5° inside here right now. I have the fan about 6 inches from me. Too damn hot.

You sure its not because the Devil decided to abdicate his trone to you? :mis::p Lol!

tha_mattster
18-07-06, 18:00
You need to visit the major cities to get a glimpse of how modernization has transformed the country :).

Usually, Summer is the best time to perform the Umrah (Sort of like a mini-Hajj.) I usually do it once every month. The holy mosques have the latest in comfort technology. Even the tiles are Cool to the touch Lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDkklvShg_o&search=Saudi%20Arabia%20Mosques

Beautiful, Neh?

I think you have misunderstood me :)

I dont mean the country is purely a desert with no civilisation! Just the climate and landscapes. The cities look much more modern than the ones in my country. There is a great program called Inside the Middle East on CNN, that often has features about saudi arabia. I would love to go there - if there was an ice age :ton:

TombRaiderLover
18-07-06, 18:01
I am very hot. :(

Catapharact
18-07-06, 18:03
I think you have misunderstood me :)

I dont mean the country is purely a desert with no civilisation! Just the climate and landscapes. The cities look much more modern than the ones in my country. There is a great program called Inside the Middle East on CNN, that often has features about saudi arabia. I would love to go there - if there was an ice age :ton:

No, I understood you well. Just that yes there are major areas of the country that lack greenry. But with modern advances in agriculture, things have changed.

Hey, I took two weeks worth of freezing rain in Taif. If I can handle that then you guys can handle the Arabian Sun ;).

Jamie18
18-07-06, 18:03
I think it's always different when you're at home (in the British Isles).

Every year I go to places where it's in the 40s or 50s and right now in the 20s and 30s I am more uncomfortable.

Part of it is that you aren't prepared for it - you don't expect it - but another big part is the fact that very very few homes in the British Isles have things such as air-conditioning, swimming pools, etc.

If you live in a naturally warm country then you're better equipped to deal with it - you're supposed to on an everyday basis, whereas over here we're prepared for rain and drizzle.

As well as that, peoples' bodies over here just aren't used to it.

In saying that, it's not as hot where I am as it is in the south of England.

Neteru
18-07-06, 18:14
You sure its not because the Devil decided to abdicate his trone to you? :mis::p Lol!Presuming the Devil is other than myself. :mis:

Gabi
18-07-06, 18:22
You sure its not because the Devil decided to abdicate his trone to you? :mis::p Lol!

LOL Cat :D

It's still 32 degrees Celsius here, quite something for good, old Derby.
I agree with those who said that it is the mugginess that makes it worse here and the fact that England just is not prepared for this kind of heat. I used to live in the south of Spain, Sevilla to be more precise, and sometimes temperatures soared up to 45 degrees and more, but I did not suffer from it half as much as I do now.
Mind you, age might be a factor as well :p .

Andromeda66
18-07-06, 18:25
I think it's always different when you're at home (in the British Isles).

Every year I go to places where it's in the 40s or 50s and right now in the 20s and 30s I am more uncomfortable.

Part of it is that you aren't prepared for it - you don't expect it - but another big part is the fact that very very few homes in the British Isles have things such as air-conditioning, swimming pools, etc.

If you live in a naturally warm country then you're better equipped to deal with it - you're supposed to on an everyday basis, whereas over here we're prepared for rain and drizzle.

As well as that, peoples' bodies over here just aren't used to it.

Agreed. And the English have a better resistance to cold than I do...having seldom felt anything below 10 C . My city has a very tropical touch to it. So the temperature doesnt fluctuate so much.

Greenkey2
18-07-06, 18:38
At least during the daytime we can take measures to keep us cool - drinking etc. :)

But I really don't like trying to sleep when it's hot and muggy :hea: I want to be able to turn the gravity in my bedroom off so I don't get so sticky and uncomfortable :jmp:

Neteru
18-07-06, 18:46
but I did not suffer from it half as much as I do now.Gabi, you're supposed to take your thermals off in the summer. :D

Pipolinne
18-07-06, 18:56
I wish we had 28 here,all Summer! Now, it's about 35,raining and storming,which is very uncommon,in Portugal!

JamesFKirk
18-07-06, 19:00
Don't go to CZ this weekend, unless you want to get fried. It's gonna be 37°C (== 100°F). Guess I'll just hide in the fridge. ;) :D

Elysia
18-07-06, 19:03
I can personally vouch that it is damn hot in Southern England.

So hot I may have to resort to nakkie-net surfing... :ton:

jarhead
18-07-06, 19:08
lol elysia

yer its hot down south and was shocked to find out that theymeasure the temperature and the predicted temperature is in the shad. gonna be about 35C+ tomorrow and ive got to spend all day in school sitting around for 6 hoursd with littlwe shade and every class has at least 1 wall complete of glass :(

scion05
18-07-06, 19:12
30 summat here...
us gingers are going pink :(

Jamie18
18-07-06, 19:15
I can personally vouch that it is damn hot in Southern England.

So hot I may have to resort to nakkie-net surfing... :ton:

WHOO!

I'm tempted but I'm sticking to everything else at the minute - I don't think I should push my luck :ton:

jarhead
18-07-06, 19:18
my classroom hit 35oC+ today at 1.30pm (during Period5). There is even talk of them sending kids home early tomorrow if it gets as bad as that again.

i feel for you, my mum had to stand in a classroom for 2 hours, which had the sun blaring at it and it had windows, a wall full of them,. i think the school mgiht be sending us home this week if it gets hot, a couple of weeks ago, when it was around 30C, 5 kids fainted because the school still insist on shirts a ties and looking smart. we get told off for habving water fights aswell but the admin staff have air con in there offices and we have to spen 5 hours a day in a stuffy clamy room

Night Crawler
18-07-06, 19:34
I'm guessing no air-conditioning? Run out and buy one!
There's no point, it'll be freezing, cloudy and wet again in a couple of days! :D

I'm currently sporting the lobster look. It burns! It's supposed to be even hotter tommorrow.

jarhead
18-07-06, 19:36
yer, its incredible unusual to get this higher temperature, and for a porlonged period of time.

a hot summer just means a wet a drearfull autumn and well probaly a wet winter too. :( wish we could have a nice pleasant indian summer

TombRaiderLover
18-07-06, 19:37
I am soooooo cooooooooooooooooollddd! :vlol:

jarhead
18-07-06, 19:40
Ive Got Frostbite In My Ear!!!!

Night Crawler
18-07-06, 19:41
Ive Got Frostbite In My Ear!!!!Wind chill ;)

TombRaiderLover
18-07-06, 19:43
Big Brother, I'm so cold!

RoseTyler
18-07-06, 20:03
Agh I'm far too hot! I'm so glad I don't live in London right now, its worse down there... although its not that far from where I am :eek:

jarhead
18-07-06, 20:04
Wind chill ;)

well you knew what i mean, i dont watch BB a lot anymore and i only live about 20/30 miles form london

Paperdoll
18-07-06, 20:05
28C? We had 34 today and it was a good day O_O

jarhead
18-07-06, 20:07
but portugal has far hotter weather then qwe do here. i think it was march or early april when we had T-shirt weather and coat weather a week apart

Paperdoll
18-07-06, 20:11
It was raining today :D but still it's funny to see how people consider 28C to be boiling when most people here would kill for that temperature XD

jarhead
18-07-06, 20:14
it was 35C over here, and it was a bit hotter in the sun, and well these isnt mcuh shad to be honest so any shade there was, was taken. i am not complainy, its hot and school is gonna be a pian trying ton concentrate in 36C with the added fact of ebing behind a wiondow :( but i know it could be worse

Hurrah4Lara
18-07-06, 20:45
Whoa! I'm in Kent and it is half nine pm and still sooo hot! And, a message for tha mattster, our "commie-garden" is brown as a desert:ton:! Friends, remember the Jasminum I planted at the beginning of the year? Well, now it is taller than I am :jmp:!

[Hello Catapharact, I've been waiting for a chance to say Thank You about those historic battles fora you told me about.]

Anyway phew, pass the cold drinks round everyone :eek:!

H4L:wve:

Elysia
18-07-06, 20:51
*sweats*

That's it! I am officially living in the bathroom now... cool, cool bathroom...

jarhead
18-07-06, 20:52
oh yes, our bathroom is usually taken up by the 2 dogs, that or the small paddling pool we fill up for our feet.

Titanium
18-07-06, 21:02
Could reach 37 celcius tomorrow "holds head"

CerebralAssassin
18-07-06, 21:05
haha..you guys wouldn't last in st.louis...I'm in the middle of the bloody continent..no breezes from the sea no nothin':(

tombraider123
18-07-06, 21:07
I live in the hottest recorded area of the UK. It's going to be 38C here tomorrow, seriously I can barely stand 30 - WE NEED SNOW! Lol

SpongeBob Lover
18-07-06, 21:12
oh yes, our bathroom is usually taken up by the 2 dogs, that or the small paddling pool we fill up for our feet.
yeah my dogs do that too :D

xLaRaMasTeRx
18-07-06, 21:17
I think it's fine the heat. I mean, I've lived in other hot countries were tempatures are over 40C. It's fine for me. What I do is just got a couple of fans all along the house and that'll be fine for me. Another thing is drink water. It's very good and keeps you cool. :p

Tomorrow is going to be the hottest day of this week as reports say. Can't wait but, I'll be working from 10am - 4pm and it can get really warm in that place. :(

I hope everyone enjoys the sun as we can as Britain don't get that much sun like this! ;) :p

jarhead
18-07-06, 21:28
my mum teaches some thai students and well they dont even feel hot in 25C so they dont have a clue what the fuss is about, but they cant stand the british winter. its easy for people who live in hot countries to say how moany we sound because of the 'hot 'waether, which isnt hot in your climate. but i doubt you like our winters and well the bottom end of the entire year and the beginning of the next when its cold for most of the 4 months .

no offence to anyone but thats it :D

Raydai
18-07-06, 21:33
It depends totally on the climate. Here in the UK and the Netherlands, over 30 degrees is very hot. But in Spain where it can be over 40 degrees you don't feel it because of the much more wind out there then here.

xLaRaMasTeRx
18-07-06, 21:35
It depends totally on the climate. Here in the UK and the Netherlands, over 30 degrees is very hot. But in Spain where it can be over 40 degrees you don't feel it because of the much more wind out there then here.

Exactly. Over here, it's like no wind? :p Just heat. That's why I need lots of fans in my house :)

laracroft2122
18-07-06, 21:36

Well excuse me cat but incase you haven't relised you live in Saudi Arabi, in a desert, we live in the UK, normally very cold. We are not used to this heat. You come to our country you'd probably be walking round in wooly clothes and boots 24/7

deepbluesea
18-07-06, 21:39
35 tomorrow and I'm a cold weather person. I'm working outside with no shade, gonna be v hot. help

xLaRaMasTeRx
18-07-06, 21:40
35 tomorrow and I'm a cold weather person. I'm working outside with no shade, gonna be v hot. help

Don't worry, Deepbluesea. Wear light clothes like shorts and t-shirts. Maybe a hat, suncream (of course!) and bring some water with you to work. It'll be worth your while. :tmb:

That reminds me I've only got a few bottles of water left :o

jarhead
18-07-06, 21:45
i think this weather isnt too bad, unless your wokring or at school. i feel for anyone who has to work outside 24/7 and especially if they burn easioly.

in school you are allowed to drink water, but theres no water fountain and the water in the vendings is wayu over priced. its like 3 times more then the newsagents, who refuse to serve us :mad:

CerebralAssassin
18-07-06, 21:51
hmmm..have the brits heard of a little something called..umm..the A/C?just a thought...http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/evilgrin/evilgrin0029.gif

Tomb of Legends
18-07-06, 21:56
28 degrees Celcius! :vlol: Thats cold! XD Try 32 degrees celcius, thats North Queensland for ya!

jarhead
18-07-06, 21:58
why is everyone going on about 28C, our themometre registered about 25C in the sun,

DREWY
18-07-06, 22:12
Marble Bar in West Australia had 3 months of continuous 100 deg plus days. (not near me)
30-35 is considered normal summer weather over here. Normally have a couple of 40-45 days too.
At least the pommy tourists will have a bit of color this year, even if it is red! :ton:

CerebralAssassin
18-07-06, 22:21
Marble Bar in West Australia had 3 months of continuous 100 deg plus days. (not near me)
30-35 is considered normal summer weather over here. Normally have a couple of 40-45 days too.
At least the pommy tourists will have a bit of color this year, even if it is red! :ton:
hey people..here's your man to look up to LOL!!

Gabi
18-07-06, 22:28
Gabi, you're supposed to take your thermals off in the summer. :D

Oh!!!!
Does that mean I have to take my woolen socks, scarf and gloves off as well??

:ton:

tha_mattster
18-07-06, 22:36
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/5190544.stm

Jamie18
18-07-06, 22:37
hmmm..have the brits heard of a little something called..umm..the A/C?just a thought...http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/evilgrin/evilgrin0029.gif
It wouldn't really be worth it for a couple of days a year.

DREWY
18-07-06, 23:07
Reverse cycle A/C is the way to go. Heating and cooling in one!

clairelovestlc
18-07-06, 23:08
im loving the weather!!! i live in cambridge and my thermomter was reading 38 degrees today, went for a lovely long drive with the roof down ( and the air con on aswell!) was great

its supposed to be even hotter tomorrow :D

i have finally recovered from last weeks heat stroke, so i can return to enjoying the weather :)

LegenDarY
18-07-06, 23:12
the heat doesn't bother me at all.. i was born in Serbia.. the summers are always extremely hot there..

i really enjoy this weather.. but everyone here in the Netherlands is complaining about the heat.. it's very funny :p

jarhead
19-07-06, 07:22
our classroom temperatures are well hot, my mum stuck a thememoter in the garden, a east facing wall and by midday it read 40C, imagine that, shining on a piece of glass and then sitting the opposite side.

wish i could go for a drive or a walk but i have to go school :(

tr_mitch
19-07-06, 07:25
Arghhhh the road's are melting.

jarhead
19-07-06, 07:28
im sitting in a east facing consevatory :(

and well im walking on the pavement so if they melt, im not gonna leave the house :p

Gomes
19-07-06, 07:33
It's not an issue of temperature alone. I am Portuguese and I find this weather in Britain unpleasant. It's not hot but it feels sticky and there is something bad in the air.

Still, it's a great summer comparing to previous years.

BlackGrey
19-07-06, 14:48
Suffering Here!!!

tha_mattster
19-07-06, 14:50
My poor dog is panting so much :(

Can we not use science to have snow all year round? Like...nuke some tectonic plate in the Atlantic, and change the gulf stream's course?

MiCkiZ88
19-07-06, 14:51
hmm.. it's been 33c here.. It's nice :D... though thet old people suffer :( ...

BlackGrey
19-07-06, 14:52
:( My dogs just sort of laying there with it's head near the water, looks unhealthy. Keeps heaving for breath.

Titanium
19-07-06, 14:52
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/5193486.stm

MiCkiZ88
19-07-06, 14:53
Again, I'M SUFFERING!
hmm.. is hot weather that bad? you prefer cold, windy, rainy ol england then xD ?

tha_mattster
19-07-06, 14:54
I do :jmp: Can't wait for winter :jmp:

Titanium
19-07-06, 14:55
BBC news

Dozens of schools across England have closed or are sending pupils home early because of the soaring temperatures.

But a 15-year-old girl at a school in Doncaster was told to go home to get her blazer after leaving it at home because of the heat.

BlackGrey
hmm.. is hot weather that bad? you prefer cold, windy, rainy ol england then xD ?

I appreciate winter so much more XD NEED SNOW AND RAIN! GIMMMEEE!!!

CuteKittenlol
i feel the heat it was 35 degrees at school today :(
and we wear black trousers!!!!!! it was horrible, its not so bad now because im sat next to a fan lol :p

jarhead
19-07-06, 14:56
we live in cold windy england, we get used to it.

and try and get your dogs into the bathroom or kitchen, or whereever you have tiles as they are cold ;)

BlackGrey
19-07-06, 14:57
we live in cold windy england, we get used to it.

and try and get your dogs into the bathroom or kitchen, or whereever you have tiles as they are cold ;)

lol poor Toto, I had to drag him into the kitchen, poor thing wouldn't move :( Edit: Yes my dog is called Toto, like the dog from the wizard of Oz:D

tha_mattster
19-07-06, 14:58
is your dog dead by any chance?

BlackGrey
19-07-06, 14:59
is your dog dead by any chance?

not quite... still breathing and wriggles when I poke it.

MiCkiZ88
19-07-06, 15:01
I do :jmp: Can't wait for winter :jmp:
winter!? It's -40c here then! :yik:

jarhead
19-07-06, 15:02
you poke your dog, :eek:

and i bribed mine with crackers, and then i told them to sit forcefully whilst i got them a bowl is freezing water and well then they were fine

edit, our winters are only -5, -10 maximum, we hardly get snow anymore and well its always rain and wind

BlackGrey
19-07-06, 15:04
you poke your dog, :eek:

and i bribed mine with crackers, and then i told them to sit forcefully whilst i got them a bowl is freezing water and well then they were fine

I only poke to check.You should of seen mine with the bowl of water, went at it like something possesed and was so eager to drink it dunked it's whole head and then retreated to the corner. Before then coming over to me at the table and licking my feet the cheeky git.

Twiin
19-07-06, 15:05
Apparently, it was hotter than the Caribbean in UK yesterday! I'm melting....

MiCkiZ88
19-07-06, 15:06
edit, our winters are only -5, -10 maximum, we hardly get snow anymore and well its always rain and wind
Here it's always windy and snowing xD And some times it goes below -40c
but rarely.. usually it's -20 or -25

but last winter was really cold.. -52 at some place :eek:

so it's like 70 or 80 degree change here! xD

jarhead
19-07-06, 15:06
today we looked at the BBC weather thing for countries round the med, britain is hotteer then athens, spain, italy and coratia and the majority of europe, only the 2 cities are hottter.

to our shocking surpirse, baghdad was 48 :yik:

poor british troops

tha_mattster
19-07-06, 15:07
I poured water on my dog's head, but it just slides off his coat. :( He has some sort of special oily substance in his fur I think. ^.^

BlackGrey
19-07-06, 15:09
I poured water on my dog's head, but it just slides off his coat. :( He has some sort of special oily substance in his fur I think. ^.^

Mine doesn't like water much, I still spray it with a spray bottle full of water. Gets confused poor thing.

Janny
19-07-06, 15:15
Whoa, I feel like I'm living on the other side of the Earth, the weather is very cool where I live, rainy and kinda cold.

Hope you guys find a way to keep cool these hot days, drink lots and lots of water or juce, always does the trick for me.

Rickh
19-07-06, 15:16
Its here now like erm 36 degrees :hea:

Rivendell
19-07-06, 15:17
The day before yesterday was quite warm. I think yesterday was a bit cooler, there was a nice breeze.

Today, is UNBEARABLY Scorching. I can't stop breathing like a dog, it's too much :(

Greenkey2
19-07-06, 15:18
My cats are all hiding away in cool, dark hidy holes during the day.

All except Jasper....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/milwardfamily/images/cats/jaspercroppedfur.jpg

Two days ago he actually jumped in the bath and sat looking from me to the tap :vlol: So I ran some cool water for him and he let me get him totally soaked before he jumped out, shook himself and sauntered off. He likes keeping cool this way :D :D :D

The heat is still getting to him though....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/milwardfamily/images/cats/catnip.jpg

"Ugh.....tooo hot......."

tr_mitch
19-07-06, 15:19
It supposed to thunder and lighting later, which will hopefully clear up the stickyness, but then get hot again... which will make it even more unbareable.

Rickh
19-07-06, 15:20
Strange. My dog is lying all day in the sun :o
An hour ago i did some water on him so that he doesnt dry out XD.

jarhead
19-07-06, 15:22
oh i wish it rained, it will make it a bit muggy but hey, its rain. i love storms, bigger the better, but we dont much storms here

jarhead
19-07-06, 15:22
and well my dogs arnt stupid, if they are hot they know wwhere the water is and the cool places, the bathroom, and underneath my units in my bedroom

scion05
19-07-06, 15:50
.... *dies*

CuteKittenlol
19-07-06, 15:52
*Gives scion kiss of life* :D

scion05
19-07-06, 15:53
*dies of cutekittens stuffing breath*

http://smilies.vidahost.com/cwm/cwm/eek5.gif

CuteKittenlol
19-07-06, 15:54
*lets scion die in a gutter*

Dingaling
19-07-06, 16:25
5 degrees in Scotland is considered a heatwave - these temperatures are ridiculous! Where is our usual rain and dull weather?! I want my rain!

Other than that, it is pretty and all, but the hot weather is bad for my eczema so I'm trying to get away from it as much as possible. I think I'll just sit in a bucket of ice for the next few days :)

Tombreaper
19-07-06, 16:55
Better check your computer CPU temperature too !!

Twiin
19-07-06, 17:02
Man, it's apparently the hottest EVER day in the UK - temperatures reached 37 degrees celcius!

jarhead
19-07-06, 17:07
no, its the hottest day in july, the hottest is 38.3 i think in faversham

jackles
19-07-06, 17:07
People from other countries have to remember that for us this is record breakingly hot! Normally our summers resemble tepid cups of tea! I was watching one of the kids from school today who comes from Nepal and he seemed quite happy in his sweatshirt................... I meanwhile was wilting in the shadows! We have no air con...carpets every where....and dinky little fridges that barely hold a bottle of water never mind an ice cube! My bedroom has hot water pipes running through it and its hell!!

Maybe its my old age but this heat seems rougher than the heat we had as kids....thing is normally i love the heat and love being abroad but this is something else!

jarhead
19-07-06, 17:09
it does feel 'raw'

perhaps its because its stuffy but theres no wind what so ever. :mad:

tlr online
19-07-06, 17:10
I'm right on the South Coast and we (missus and I) think it's going to thunderstorm any moment. It's been scorching all day tho.

jackles
19-07-06, 17:12
Im in berkshire, dunno what the temp is though! Sitting here with a laptop on my lap is a really bad idea!

jarhead
19-07-06, 17:15
yer, well i supose a hot laptop could have consequences

and at least your by the sea, were slightly inland, so its no breeze and well we've been resrting to cold water and well sitting around with our feet in it

jackles
19-07-06, 17:17
Consequences!!!!! eep!

*moves lap top quickly off lap and puts it on sofa sharpish!* ;)

i wondered what that smouldering sensation was! ;)

thevman
19-07-06, 17:20
Mid 90's F and very humid(90%) here in the midwest for the past week! Sucks to sweat in the shade while standing still! :cen:

Night Crawler
19-07-06, 17:25
I'm enjoying the heat, it's a great summer we're having so far, don't really understand why everyone is complaining.

Sitting in front of the computer isn't gonna cool you down! :)

jarhead
19-07-06, 17:27
i am regulary going to stand in ice cold water and then post, and then ice cold water. im not that hot now, just sweating, like its clamy.

gonna storm later so its gonna get a whole lot more humid

Apofiss
19-07-06, 18:25
Luckily the heat wave is gone for now (around Latvia) which was 32 - 36 degree >< ...now it comparatively cool, 24 - 28 *enjoys that!* ..few hours ago I heard it's almost 40 degree in france/paris O.o

TombRaiderLover
19-07-06, 18:27
Apparently something has happened to the Severn Trent pump, so I might not have water for a while.

*dies of thirst*

Remember m . . . eghhhhhhhhh . . .

TombRaiderLover
19-07-06, 18:28
My cats are all hiding away in cool, dark hidy holes during the day.

All except Jasper....

Two days ago he actually jumped in the bath and sat looking from me to the tap :vlol: So I ran some cool water for him and he let me get him totally soaked before he jumped out, shook himself and sauntered off. He likes keeping cool this way :D :D :D

The heat is still getting to him though....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/milwardfamily/images/cats/catnip.jpg

"Ugh.....tooo hot......."
Poor thing.

jarhead
19-07-06, 18:46
Luckily the heat wave is gone for now (around Latvia) which was 32 - 36 degree >< ...now it comparatively cool, 24 - 28 *enjoys that!* ..few hours ago I heard it's almost 40 degree in france/paris O.o

oh we read about that, 32C during the night in paris i think

scion05
19-07-06, 18:54
my fave kitty.....

Thorir
19-07-06, 19:13
It's around 23-27 here in Oslo these days. :)
I think it's just right! Everyone walking around half naked! :D
Lots of hotties to see... :mis:

It's not unusual to have days over 30 as well. We had a few days with 33 degrees in June. :)

jarhead
19-07-06, 19:23
well were looking forward to the 28C next week.

rather strange because a month ago we were complaing of 25C and now we cant wait. i thought oslo would be colder then that, didnt think it got hot up there

Thorir
19-07-06, 19:41
Oh, it get's very hot here in the summer. If the weather is good. :)
But in the winter it easily gets around -15...

jarhead
19-07-06, 19:42
-15, oh im in dream land

Rivendell
19-07-06, 23:05
Now it's just getting stupid. It's after midnight, and it's still FRICKIN' BOILING!! :( :whi:

tr_mitch
19-07-06, 23:06
In some part's its raining, though it hasn't got to us yet :(

Thorir
19-07-06, 23:44
Quit complaining, British lads. :D

Mad Tony
20-07-06, 06:01

Well i'll be moving out of Britain to Austalia or America in the near future :ton:

scion05
20-07-06, 07:58
its cooler today... but still hot :(

Elysia
20-07-06, 08:02
But... but... but... complaining is what makes us British! It's a grand tradition!

:p

Angelx14
20-07-06, 08:07
lol, it seems that later in here will be rain.:D

Elysia
20-07-06, 08:08
There's a storm a-comin'. My head's playing me up, and I always get headaches before a storm. (It's also so muggy here I could cut the air with a knife... I had about 2 hours sleep last night, it was so uncomfortable.)

pintoX
20-07-06, 08:56
HAHA
why don't you come live in greece?
28 degrees is what we have in the winter :D
I WISH that we had 28 in the summer - where it goes above 40 many days...
anyway today here in athens is windy and not so hot!

ChocChipCookie
20-07-06, 10:04
But... but... but... complaining is what makes us British! It's a grand tradition!

Too true! We really are whingers especially when it comes to the weather. I mean if it was cold and raining we would be moaning about another 'typical British Summer'. But when it's actually sunny and hot like summer should be, we're still complaining - we're never satisfied! And I'm the worst cos I'm always grumbling about the weather - OMG it's muggy today :(

Greenkey2
20-07-06, 10:10

Too right :D
grumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumbleg rumblegrumble.....traditional.....grumblegrumblegr umblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumble

CoxyAppo
20-07-06, 10:20
i'm loving the hot weather! :D Pretty heavy rain over night is great, better than through the day!!!!

UK Outlook - Thursday:

London- 82 Deg - thundary showers
Manchester - 80 Deg - thundary showers
Liverpool - 78 Deg - sunny intervals
Birmingham - 78 Deg - sunny intervals
Newcastle - 78 Deg - light showers
Glasgow - 73 Deg - sunny intervals
Cardiff - 75 Deg - sunny intervals

Greenkey2
20-07-06, 10:28
Oh I love hot weather IF it rains or has a really good storm at night :D. It washes the air clean and freshens up the daytime - all this humidity is what really gets us down.