PDA

View Full Version : Voting: Comic Book Covers

Raider-Boy
27-07-06, 10:29
Firstly, congratulations to all the participants. The standard of entries was so high, and I'm sure this competition will be very close. :p
To vote, please refer back to this (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=68398) thread for all entries. Once you have decided on your favourite, post the name of the participant in this thread, giving a reason for your decision.

You may only vote once, for one entry, and you may not vote for yourself. Remember that the 'prize' for the winning entry is to receive feedback from Top-Cow, the creators of the official Tomb-Raider comic books. Who would benefit most from this prize? :)

For example:

Name: Tomb-Raider

Reason: This entry deserves to win because the costume design was highly original and the work was beautifully coloured.

Voting closes on Sunday 30th July PM.

I hope you have all enjoyed these works of art as much as I have. I am highly impressed by the talent of the members of this forum, and I hope you continue to share your work with us. Good luck everyone.

Raider-Boy :)

Enelya
27-07-06, 11:52
NAME: Tansy

REASON: I like your job because it really sounds like a cover. You are concerned about doing things well, and it's beautifull. There's a great composition and it's dynamic... what else? The way you wrote your title is original (but very not easy to read :p ). Well done! ;)

Lara's Boy
27-07-06, 12:55
NAME: Amlai

REASON: It is such an original work, and so much detail was put into it. All of your work is great, but this is one of the best that I have seen, imo. The color works great, the lines are smooth and clean, and the angle is perfect for a comic cover.

:wve:

VonCroy360
27-07-06, 13:16
They're all brilliant, but...

Name: amlai

Reason: I saw many entries that just had the character standing there, not doing anything; I selected amlai's, elysia's and tansy's as the best, then looking at them, I thought: "we saw the content of tansy's comic in many movies, games, etc." and "we saw the content of elysia's comic in tr1"; amlai's is the only one that makes me want to read it, simply because looking at the cover, I ask myself: what is that strange thing (flame) lara's holding, what will she do with it, and I feel the adventure right away. And offcourse, the editing is brilliant...

:)

Hybrid Soldier
27-07-06, 13:34
Name: Tansy

Reason: The whole layout to the cover is amazing and the color and detail put into it really stands out and it seems to all blend in very well together, and it just looks simply brilliant! My last reason is i'm a fan of your drawings. Great job! :)

Rivendell
27-07-06, 13:36
Well done to everyone, there's some stunning work in this competition!
Holy Crap that's a hard decision to make :(
Though for me,

Name: Elysia

Reason: The poisition of Lara is great, her expression, the mutant! The Detail of it's flesh! And the Atlantean symbols in the background :D
Amazing work, really really good.

jarhead
27-07-06, 13:38
everyone!!

but if i had to pick one it'll have to be elysia

Name: elysia

Reason: its the best colouring i have ever seen and its totaly unique. lara is in her best outfit and although the text and title isnt as exciting, the mutant makes up for it

Lara Croft!
27-07-06, 14:07
I am between Amlai and Tansy....wish I could vote for both of u.....

Reason: I love the TR Chronicles theme,and the rush of blood!!!!

Tansy
27-07-06, 14:07
Name: Amlai

Reason: Because it's so dynamic and bold! The movement in the picture is just so striking, as is the colours and the flames, and the outfit! :D I also like the comic-style shadows used!
It's just great! :tmb:

Oh, and Raider-Boy, you think you could post links to the individual entries on the top post? Because searching through the thread is hard, and it's easy to miss entries!

Tombreaper
27-07-06, 14:29
Great work everyone!

REASON: Superb colouring, beautiful lines, Lara's expression is excellent..it's perfectly balanced, very, very well done!

No-nonsense Artwork, highly effective >> it makes you want to read it!

angelamy16
27-07-06, 15:15
:D NAME: Elysia

Reason: superb colouring and must of taken some time an care to complete.

it was hard to choose between Tansy and Elysia because they were both good

Ward Dragon
27-07-06, 17:32
So many wonderful entries, so difficult to choose...

Reason: The coloring is amazing. I really like the expression on Lara's face. The bacon monster is very cool :)

Pipolinne
27-07-06, 20:27
Name:Amlai

Reason: It has all I look for in a cover: suspense, the suggestion of a mistery that endangers Lara,the illusion the cover drawing is going to reveal us something. I want to know why Lara wanted those gloves :D!

Raider-Boy
27-07-06, 22:00
Tansy: You and Amlai have mentioned the same problem, so either tomorrow afternoon or Saturday I'll post the links to all the final entries. :)
Keep the votes coming everyone; this is gonna be close! :D

Enelya
28-07-06, 07:12
Hello, this is just the complete list of the participants and their entries, i hope I have not forgot someone, but if it is the case let me know ok? ;)

part one:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=1097734&postcount=304

part two:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=1097736&postcount=305

Nisrina
28-07-06, 13:14
Name : Enelya

Reason : To my mind, it is the best cover.
The character is lifelike, the colors are wonderfull and it looks really professional.

Bye

Gomes
28-07-06, 14:45
Reason: Although it's not complete as a cover design it's a stunning action illustration with colours and dynamics that would work very well in a cover.

Raider-Boy
28-07-06, 14:51
Hello, this is just the complete list of the participants and their entries, i hope I have not forgot someone, but if it is the case let me know ok? ;)

part one:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=1097734&postcount=304

part two:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=1097736&postcount=305

Wow! Thank you so much Enelya! That is so kind of you. I was surprised to see my work there; I didn't have a chance to finish it so I decided not to enter. Apart from that it's wonderful! Well done. :D

tha_mattster
28-07-06, 14:54
Elysia
------
I had a hard time choosing between Elysia's and Tansy's entries, but I finally went with Elysia's because it was more in keeping with the tomb raider theme - whereas tansy's was a little to sci-fi I felt.
------

Lara's Boy
28-07-06, 15:28
Wow! Thank you so much Enelya! That is so kind of you. I was surprised to see my work there; I didn't have a chance to finish it so I decided not to enter. Apart from that it's wonderful! Well done. :D

Same here, lol!

Thanks Enelya, you are such an asset to this forum :D :wve:

(and a very talented artist to boot!)

Spitfire
28-07-06, 19:48
Name: Enelya

Reason: As far as real comic covers go i feel her's is the closest. Lara croft is very well drawn and the pose with the round comming out looks great, could use more eye contact or expression but comes very close. The colors is what impressed me the most, looks very comic like and the extra lighting or shadowing color looks beautiful when used through the piece. More props for adding the logos and the background that feels very close to the original tomb raider comics and game.

Joseph
28-07-06, 20:10
3: Amlai

Reason: Crazy, fantastic yet still 100% Tomb Raider Lara involved in great adventures. The flamboyant dynamic style, the transparent drawing, the brightness, the colours promise very vast grand adventures and express Lara the best of all IMO. I'm not into TR comics at all, but this one would certainly tempt me to consume the book!

Tough choice between Amlai's and 7: Elysia, which is a very high quality exciting and promising image as well, dark, precise, crazy and fantastic.

Apofiss
28-07-06, 20:35

REASON: Ok, tehnicly/and style, Tansy's, Enelya's and Elysia's works are indeed high quality/well done and eye atractive also which is the same with amlai's work - more or less, BUT as for comic cover amlai's one is just right powerful IMO, excellent scene for a cover :)

(why not to send at least 3 best works for topcow?)

amlai
28-07-06, 22:33

Reason: mainly, the action scene, witch was very difficult to choose between other participants, it made me wonder who she is shooting to, it created this kind of atmosphere, I guess it was the most intriguer one and that's was that keep my attention. Also the techniques, the implementation of colors was very nice, i think it's a good job :tmb:

Btw...thanks Elenya!

tr_mitch
28-07-06, 22:39
Name- Elysia
Reason- Great image, Very Unique style... Perfect colouring, The use of interaction with another Atlantean creature. Great Lara. Just an all round perfect piece of quality Artwork.

Nostal
29-07-06, 14:14
Mmmh, it's clear to me, it's ENELYA's work the best.

Looks like she's got some knowledge ! ^^

It's far from Michael Turner's work, but close at the same time!

The other works are great, but we talk about a COMIC BOOK here, and the others (to me) aren't in the same world.

Enelya's cover LOOKS LIKE a cover, a REAL one, and doesn't look like a fan art or a videogame artwork.

It's true it's quite dark, but the goal of a cover is to deliver some mystery, after all !

That's what I like in her work !

ara
29-07-06, 14:27
NAME- Tansy

REASON- I dont know why but i relly like it! So i vote Tansy :).

Raider-Boy
30-07-06, 10:39

Reason: It's so difficult to choose between such amazing works of art, especially those that look so professional, but this cover is just outstanding! :D I love the costume, the pose, the title and border art, and how the image displays so well a scene of stealth and danger that it makes you want to pick it up and start reading. I think we may need a feature length comic to follow it up! :p

( Voting ends tonight )

PirateRose
30-07-06, 16:40

Reason: The colors and movement are amazeing, this one is the only one I looked at and said AWESOME, then couldn't stop looking at it.

Lone Raider
30-07-06, 17:25

This one just blew me away. The mutant is outstanding, and Lara's pose incredible. :tmb:

Elysia
30-07-06, 20:23

Reason: A very high-octane picture that really grabs the audience - purely classic comic book stuff, full of energy and danger.

Paperdoll
30-07-06, 20:45

Reason: The over-all feel of it, the action, the outfit, the character, everything gives it an undeniable comic book cover feel. Definitily a winner IMO.

Raider-Boy
31-07-06, 16:16
Sorry; late again! :D Voting is now over, but all votes were in time so don't worry. Enelya has counted the votes and made a graph for me so I will obtain and post them later on this evening (although it is obvious who the winner is!). :) Thanks to everyone who voted.

Raider-Boy
31-07-06, 18:44
Here are the results; thank you so much to Enelya for counting and making this diagram. :)

http://img320.imageshack.us/img320/6921/votingoy9.th.jpg (http://img320.imageshack.us/my.php?image=votingoy9.jpg)

The winner is Elysia, followed by Tansy, Amlai and Enelya. As you can see, it was extremely close, and it's tempting to send all the entries to TopCow. I'm sure the mods will notify them of this thread, so they can check out the entries for themselves. :D

Congratulations to Elysia, and well done to all who entered. I hope you've enjoyed this competition as much as I have. :)

Raider-Boy

tr_mitch
31-07-06, 19:12
This has been one of the best competitions for quality of work i've ever seen on the forums :tmb:
Awesome job to all who entered :D
Especially you Elysia... A much deserved winner.. Great piece! :tmb:

Elysia
31-07-06, 19:17
:eek: Oooooh! In all honesty, I wasn't expecting to win at all... I'm actually quite shocked!

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: Thank you all so much!!

And extra thanks to Raider Boy - what a great contest! :hug:

Lone Raider
31-07-06, 19:20
Yes it was brilliant, and it was ever so hard to decide whom to vote for.
Congratulations to Elysia :hug: , Tansy, Amlai, and Enelya! Great works of art! :tmb:

Apofiss
31-07-06, 19:42
I'm sure the mods will notify them of this thread, so they can check out the entries for themselves.

That's in progress :)

Pipolinne
31-07-06, 19:56
Congratulations, Elysia :)!

I'm glad all the great quality of thse works won't be lost,tanks to your idea,Raider-Boy :)!

Spitfire
31-07-06, 20:37
congrats to the final 4, great works!

Paperdoll
31-07-06, 20:39
Congrats Elysia :tmb: :D

Tombreaper
31-07-06, 21:02
Congrats Elysia, great work! :tmb:

Assassino
31-07-06, 21:46
Well done!:D

Tansy
31-07-06, 22:00
Well done Elysia, your entry was stunning! :tmb:

amlai
01-08-06, 05:07
A perfect first place, congratulations Elysia, outstanding style :tmb:

And well done to everybody envolved :D

Enelya
01-08-06, 06:17
Congrats Elysia!!:D

Your work was one of my favourite! I'm glad you won! Will you tell us what Top Cow will have thought about your job? It would be interesting :p

PS: Please anyone, don't hesitate to correct my mistakes by PM, because I know my written english is far to be perfect and I really want to improve it ! Thanks in advance.

angelamy16
01-08-06, 07:18
Congrats Elysia Well Done Everyone:d

Ward Dragon
01-08-06, 18:36
Congratulations, Elysia :D

jarhead
01-08-06, 19:05
congratz everyone.

every cover was superb

Elysia
01-08-06, 19:08
:hug: thanks again, everyone! :hug:

congratz everyone.

every cover was superb
I second that! :tmb:

Tombreaper
01-08-06, 21:08
:hug: thanks again, everyone! :hug:

Yeah, you're welcome Elysia (okay, I voted amlai), are you going to enter the drawing comp. too? That drawing (aasimar)on DA looks awesome :cln:

kewlkyle64
02-08-06, 03:28
Person: Enyla

Reason: Because it looks like the most real comic cover, some of them are just drawings. It also obviously had a lot of time put into it.

Enelya
02-08-06, 07:36
Person: Enyla

Reason: Because it looks like the most real comic cover, some of them are just drawings. It also obviously had a lot of time put into it.

It's really sweet of you :) , but you know... the voting is over since sunday evening... but thank you so much :D

Lara'sMan
19-08-06, 05:50
congrads