PDA

View Full Version : The General Harry Potter thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Geck-o-Lizard
20-10-07, 10:58
*falls off chair* :vlol:

Rivendell
20-10-07, 11:01
Lol!! :D

Makes me want to reread DH's Dumbledore/Grindelwald sections to see how big the hints are!

Ada the Mental
20-10-07, 11:02
Imagine if Gambon starts to play him with a limp-wristed campness now - after all, I don't think he's read the books still.. :whi: :vlol:
Or if he starts swaggering, Jack Sparrow-like! :vlol:

I heard that Gambon later said that he listened to the audiobooks, but take that with a pinch of salt.

Angelus
20-10-07, 11:02
Lol!! :D

Makes me want to reread DH's Dumbledore/Grindelwald sections to see how big the hints are!

"Dumbledore lovingly stared at Grindelwald. Grindelwald returned the look by blowing a kiss in the direction of the love of his life: Albus Dumbledore".

Errrr... no hints there.

Geck-o-Lizard
20-10-07, 11:03
I'm almost cringing thinking of how badly he'll be able to ruin HBP with his current style. He'll be screaming at Harry during their lessons worse than Snape did. :|

Ada the Mental
20-10-07, 11:05
"Albus" *eye-twingling*
"Gellert!" *soppy eyelash-batting*
"Oh, Al! What piercing blue eyes you have!"
"Why thank you, my dearest Gell!"

BTW, Abe & Getti The Goat =FTW!

Rivendell
20-10-07, 11:12
Albus: Ahh Grindelwald... You and me forever!
Gelert: Yes, we will rule the world!
Albus: ..What?
Gelert: What do you mean 'what'? Isn't that what you were thinking?
Albus: Oh.. Err, yeah - sure.
Gelert: What did you mean?
Albus: Nothing, Grindy-pooh.
Gelert: I told you not to call me that or I'd kill your sister!
-
Funeral Scene

Aberforth:.... Poofter. *Breaks nose*

:p

Mad Tony
20-10-07, 11:17
Wow. Looks like I never got the hints that were given in the 7th book. :yik:
Can't believe it.

Geck-o-Lizard
20-10-07, 11:19
-
Funeral Scene

Lmfao. :vlol:

VonCroy360
20-10-07, 11:22
Anyone heard the info provided by JK on her reading in NYC?

Click (http://www.mugglenet.com/app/category/show/79).

Quite interesting, although I hoped Neville will end up happily with Luna. I haven't seen Dumbledore/Grindewald thing coming though. She could have put some hints of his feelings and the depth of it in the book as well - would have made it more interesting.

:)

EDIT: Just realised I missed the last two pages of this thread. :vlol:

Geck-o-Lizard
20-10-07, 11:25
Luna went off with the great-grandson of Newt Scamander to look for rare magical creatures around the world, I believe...

VonCroy360
20-10-07, 11:27
Luna went off with the great-grandson of Newt Scamander to look for rare magical creatures around the world, I believe...

Yup, but I still hoped she would come to her senses one day. Meh.
:)

Ada the Mental
20-10-07, 11:47
Yeah, because, you see, he wanted to stay and teach at Hogwarts while she really wanted to travel the world, so that wouldn't really work. Of course, is secretly still in love with Neville, 'cause Nev= Awesome.

-
Funeral Scene

LMAO! :vlol:

Rivendell
20-10-07, 11:50
I never liked Nev before DH. I only actually started to like him in the last few chapters where he screamed and shouted right at Voldemort to-his-Face (at last! Daring Gryffindor spirit shining through!) and then lopped off Nagi's head. :D

Ada the Mental
20-10-07, 12:04
I never liked Nev before DH. I only actually started to like him in the last few chapters where he screamed and shouted right at Voldemort to-his-Face (at last! Daring Gryffindor spirit shining through!) and then lopped off Nagi's head. :D

:mad: How dare you not like Nev before DH! Neville had always ruled! He just ruled even more in DH! :ton:
I was grinning like an idiot when he showed up through the portait.
Actually I was grinning like an idiot throughout the entire chapters before the Battle, because I hadn't realised how much I had missed Hogwarts!

I think was grinning up until Harry saw Lupin dead. Then, I was all OMFG!NO!WTF! *rips book*

Lavinder
20-10-07, 12:40
Imagine all the poor hardcore Christian children having to burn their books now, -slight pause- , :vlol:.

Mad Tony
20-10-07, 12:42
Imagine all the poor hardcore Christian children having to burn their books now, -slight pause- , :vlol:.It's not just hardcore Christians who are against homosexuality you know. Most if not all religions oppose homosexuality - whether or not all followers of that particular religion oppose it too I don't know, most likely not everyone.

Lavinder
20-10-07, 12:45
It's not just hardcore Christians who are against homosexuality you know. Most if not all religions oppose homosexuality - whether or not all followers of that particular religion oppose it too I don't know, most likely not everyone.

Mad Tony, seriously, do you believe I live such a sheltered life to think only Christians are against homosexuality :p? It's just easier considering the few posts above were talking about Christians.

jamieoliver22
20-10-07, 12:47
It's not just hardcore Christians who are against homosexuality you know. Most if not all religions oppose homosexuality - whether or not all followers of that particular religion oppose it too I don't know, most likely not everyone.

What religion are you then?... :pi:

Mytly
20-10-07, 12:47
Wow, my respect for JKR finally managed to climb out of the pit it had fallen into after DH. Finally, finally she's mentioned homosexuality - and not only that, but she's actually made one of the main characters gay! :eek:

The morality police will be all over this, of course. :pi:

O-M-G!
Well, I had thought so after reading DH, but a) I thought I was apparently infected with slasher-itis, from all the shippers in the fandom and b) I never expected Rowling to actually talk about it!

Stay tuned for all the "ZOMG! JKR Corrupts Children" narrow-minded BS, which will no doubt follow...:rolleyes:
Agree wholeheartedly. After wondering momentarily about Al and Gell while reading DH, I immediately dismissed the thought, thinking that there was no way JKR would ever go there.

BTW, Abe & Getti The Goat =FTW!
That's my favourite ship! :D
Btw, did anyone love the fact that Aberfoth's patronus is a goat? :jmp:

-
Funeral Scene

:vlol:
"I told you not to call me that or I'd kill your sister" - ah, that's a better explanation the the convoluted story in canon. ;)

:mad: How dare you not like Nev before DH! Neville had always ruled! He just ruled even more in DH! :ton:
I was grinning like an idiot when he showed up through the portait.
Actually I was grinning like an idiot throughout the entire chapters before the Battle, because I hadn't realised how much I had missed Hogwarts!

I think was grinning up until Harry saw Lupin dead. Then, I was all OMFG!NO!WTF! *rips book*
Ada, I can't believe how alike we think - I feel exactly the same way about Neville (not to mention Hogwarts), and my thoughts were exactly like yours when reading the battle scenes DH. (Ok, except for the ripping book part - I wasn't likely to rip the most expensive book I've ever bought :p).

Mad Tony
20-10-07, 12:49
Mad Tony, seriously, do you believe I live such a sheltered life to think only Christians are against homosexuality :p? It's just easier considering the few posts above were talking about Christians.I guess. :p

What religion are you then?... :pi:Christian. But why does that matter?

abc123
20-10-07, 12:51
Dumbledoor was one of my favorite characters. Was.

jamieoliver22
20-10-07, 12:51
I guess. :p

Christian. But why does that matter?

Just wondering... Is that why you are against it then?

Mad Tony
20-10-07, 12:52
Just wondering... Is that why you are against it then?When did I say I was against homosexuality? All I said was I was shocked when JK said Dumbledore was gay. I just didn't expect it.

Ada the Mental
20-10-07, 12:57
Wow, my respect for JKR finally managed to climb out of the pit it had fallen into after DH. Finally, finally she's mentioned homosexuality - and not only that, but she's actually made one of the main characters gay! :eek:
Can people lay off the whole Sirius/Remus thing now? I hate that ship! :p

That's my favourite ship! :D
Btw, did anyone love the fact that Aberfoth's patronus is a goat? :jmp:
A stag?! How dare he, the stupid Death Eater! It's a GOAT! :vlol:

Ada, I can't believe how alike we think - I feel exactly the same way about Neville (not to mention Hogwarts), and my thoughts were exactly like yours when reading the battle scenes DH. (Ok, except for the ripping book part - I wasn't likely to rip the most expensive book I've ever bought :p).
Figure of speech. I would never rip my bookie.
I'm still mad at my sister because she threw water on it when I told her Hedwig was dead. Pg 58-63 are a mess.http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/traurig/sad-smiley-009.gif
She'll pay for this...

Shark_Blade
20-10-07, 13:08
Holy ****! Dumbledore is what?? :yik: Well I don't really mind the gayness but that was like very surprising. Very.

Lavinder
20-10-07, 13:09
I'm still mad at my sister because she threw water on it when I told her Hedwig was dead. Pg 58-63 are a mess.http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/traurig/sad-smiley-009.gif
She'll pay for this...

Melt that evil!

Does anyone else think JK was having a bad day when she killed the bird? :cln:

Rivendell
20-10-07, 13:26
Finally, finally she's mentioned homosexuality - and not only that, but she's actually made one of the main characters gay! :eek:

That's partially one of the things that surprised me most.
1. I didn't think she'd refer to homosexuality - ever.
2. If on the off chance she did, then it'd turn out that one of the tiny-sub-characters was, and that Ron mentioned it in some offhand joke.
3. She has mentioned homosexuality, and it's only one of the most important characters in the books!

It's interesting that she's announced this now after the books have been released. I wonder if she's planned that? Some way of beating down intolerance, as in those who are anti-gay fall in love with the books, really like Dumbledore as a character, then BAM, guess what everyone? Dumbledore's gay!
It could provoke three responses.

1. Oh, ok.
2. Yayyyy!
3. Oh ****, I don't like him now.

If the third, then perhaps JKR's release of this information now might be her trying to make people think outside that narrow-minded box. If those people start to think "Well, he's still the same person I used to like", then I think JKR has done a good job.

:tmb:

Ada the Mental
20-10-07, 13:47
BTW, what exactly do you people think those Muggle boys did to Arianna?
I think the text implied that it was something more than beating her into a pulp.

Mad Tony
20-10-07, 13:51
BTW, what exactly do you people think those Muggle boys did to Arianna?
I think the text implied that it was something more than beating her into a pulp.How old were they again? I have an idea about something but it depends on how old they are.

Shark_Blade
20-10-07, 14:15
2. If on the off chance she did, then it'd turn out that one of the tiny-sub-characters was, and that Ron mentioned it in some offhand joke.Is it the time when Ron said to Harry that his flies is open? - Deathly Hallows
:rolleyes: :vlol:

Ada the Mental
20-10-07, 14:21
How old were they again? I have an idea about something but it depends on how old they are.

No idea. :confused: They were mentioned as children, I think...But from what Aberforth said and Ron and Hermione's reaction I got the impression that they raped her.

Mad Tony
20-10-07, 14:21
No idea. :confused: They were mentioned as children, I think...But from what Aberforth said and Ron and Hermione's reaction I got the impression that they raped her.Yes, that was my idea too.

Angelus
20-10-07, 14:37
Melt that evil!

Does anyone else think JK was having a bad day when she killed the bird? :cln:

I do! She just randomly killed of characters! :confused:

My guess is that Ariana was raped, but JK Rowling didn't want to directly say it because of younger readers, but she thought that older readers would work it out.

Sara Croft
20-10-07, 14:43
Dumbledoor was one of my favorite characters. Was.
lol. :rolleyes:

vespertea
20-10-07, 14:46
Dumbledore... gay. Can't say I'm okay with it.

Rowling coming out now and saying that he's gay seems a little fishy. Her attitude is starting to **** me off, and now that she's changed the sexuality of the second most important character in the series, I'm very disappointed. Seems like a tongue-in-cheek sort of thing to do.

If she left sexuality out of the book period then you would have a very fine piece of work (none of this Cho or Ginny crap). But I guess I'm just a narrow-minded homophobe since I don't want to accept Dumbledore's new, intimate inner feelings.

Rivendell
20-10-07, 14:48
now that she's changed the sexuality of the second most important character in the series, I'm very disappointed.

Changed? :confused:

vespertea
20-10-07, 14:50
Changed? :confused:

*revealed. My bad. :whi:

Angelus
20-10-07, 14:51
Dumbledore... gay. Can't say I'm okay with it.

Rowling coming out now and saying that he's gay seems a little fishy. Her attitude is starting to **** me off, and now that she's changed the sexuality of the second most important character in the series, I'm very disappointed. Seems like a tongue-in-cheek sort of thing to do.

If she left sexuality out of the book period then you would have a very fine piece of work (none of this Cho or Ginny crap). But I guess I'm just a narrow-minded homophobe since I don't want to accept Dumbledore's new, intimate inner feelings.

Looks like.

It's quite sad, actually.

Mad Tony
20-10-07, 14:51
If she left sexuality out of the book period then you would have a very fine piece of work.I actually agree. There was no real need to introduce Dumbledore as gay. Should've just left the readers to their imagination.

Sara Croft
20-10-07, 14:53
I actually agree. There was no real need to introduce Dumbledore as gay. Should've just left the readers to their imagination.
I think its a good idea. Take abc123 for example. He used to lvoe Dumbledore, but sicne he was gay it changed his view on him, but if he was straight he wouldnt care. She just shows people that the greatest person can be gay, and that it dosent change how strong he/she is.

Rivendell
20-10-07, 14:54
Can't help but think if JKR had announced that Dumbledore was once head-over-heels in love with a girl who used to be in his year at Hogwarts, except that she broke his heart by practising the dark arts, people would be a lot more sympathetic.

:wve:

vespertea
20-10-07, 14:55
I actually agree. There was no real need to introduce Dumbledore as gay. Should've just left the readers to their imagination.

Right.

Looks like.

It's quite sad, actually.

Hello. :wve:

Geck-o-Lizard

Hell just keeps getting colder. I agree with you. I enjoy interpreting the characters my own way, and having definite limits put on them is frustrating... If I had my way, I'd edit out all the romantic relationships from the book. I feel a bit like Voldemort now though... http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4928/anxiousns1.gif

Rivendell
Wow.

Geck-o-Lizard
20-10-07, 14:59
Just to clarify... I don't have a problem with homosexuality. I don't have a problem with heterosexuality either. I just don't really enjoy hearing about either of 'em. :)

Rivendell
20-10-07, 15:01
I feel a bit like Voldemort now though... http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4928/anxiousns1.gif

Lol!!
Let's just wait for the revelation about his sexuality. ;)

Geck-o-Lizard
20-10-07, 15:01
Maybe that's why he was so scared of Dumbledore... :vlol:

randomrhys
20-10-07, 15:02
Just to clarify... I don't have a problem with homosexuality. I don't have a problem with heterosexuality either. I just don't really enjoy hearing about either of 'em. :)

i totally agree

vespertea
20-10-07, 15:03
Lol!!
Let's just wait for the revelation about his sexuality. ;)

"Hey guys, guess what. Voldemort's was into furry fandom. :wve:" - Rowling

Rivendell
20-10-07, 15:04

Albus: Hello Tom, it was foolish of you to come here tonight.
Voldemort: ...Why.. Wh..what are you going to do to me? Albus.. Al- Put-that-thing down-and-stay-away-from-me!!!
*Flees*

Can imagine Voldemort acting like Stewie.. "Turn off the windscreen wipers, they don't work - it's making it worse!!"

vespertea
20-10-07, 15:12

Voldemort: ...Why.. Wh..what are you going to do to me? Albus.. Al- Put-that-thing down-and-stay-away-from-me!!!
*Flees*

Can imagine Voldemort acting like Stewie.. "Turn off the windscreen wipers, they don't work - it's making it worse!!"

LMAO.

Angelus
20-10-07, 15:14

*Flees*

THROW THE ***** OUT!

Geck-o-Lizard
20-10-07, 15:28
Language! Don't dodge the censor please.

Angelus
20-10-07, 16:17
Language! Don't dodge the censor please.

It was a mistake! I was thinking of you the whole time! It'll never happen again!

Rivendell
20-10-07, 22:34
Anyone seen this bit? :D

In answer to the question "Did Hagrid marry?" Rowling replied that sadly, no. The half-giant had a flirtation with a giantess but she found him "a tad unsophisticated" and the relationship never went forward. In response to the audience's groans of dismay, Rowling said, jokingly, "OK, I'll write another book." And when the audience continued to express disapproval added, "at least I didn't kill him."

Angelus
20-10-07, 22:35
"At least I didn't kill him".

Might as bloody well have. Where was he in DH? It was more like he camoed rather that featured in the book.

Rivendell
20-10-07, 22:41
I don't think I'd have cared if he did to be honest. I thought he had at the start, after Hedwig.

Every death after that was very unmoving for me, as were the aftermaths of them.
Dumbledore's death in HP6 was so charged up, and the funeral just made it 10 times worse/sadder to read.

DH was like BAM - dead, BAM - dead. *Distant Boom* - Oh Harry, by the way, they're dead.

I couldn't believe none of them moved me! The only bit that made me even the slightest bit choked up was when Harry was walking, willingly, to his demise.
I guess I was just hoping so hard that neither Hermione, Ron, Arthur or Molly would get killed.
To be honest when Bella started to fight Molly, I thought that was it for her. But surprise, look how that turned out eh? :D

Angelus
20-10-07, 22:45
I don't think I'd have cared if he did to be honest. I thought he had at the start, after Hedwig.

Every death after that was very unmoving for me, as were the aftermaths of them.
Dumbledore's death in HP6 was so charged up, and the funeral just made it 10 times worse/sadder to read.

DH was like BAM - dead, BAM - dead. *Distant Boom* - Oh Harry, by the way, they're dead.

I couldn't believe none of them moved me! The only bit that made me even the slightest bit choked up was when Harry was walking, willingly, to his demise.
I guess I was just hoping so hard that neither Hermione, Ron, Arthur or Molly would get killed.
To be honest when Bella started to fight Molly, I thought that was it for her. But surprise, look how that turned out eh? :D

*Distant Boom* - Oh Harry, by the way, they're dead.

The only deaths that got to me were Lupin and Tonks lying there side by side. I started getting moved towards the end because I knew that this was it for Harry Potter forever. I get like that when anyone I like ends. :D

Hedwig's death was a real "WTF http://forums.beyondunreal.com/images/smilies2/dot.gif" moment. It was just so... unnecessary.

Fred's death got to me because I've always loved the twins.

Rivendell
20-10-07, 22:48
I think that was just an indicator right at the start from JK - No-one is safe :mis:

Speaking of unnecessary stuff in DH, which would you have kept - the Harry wand, or the super-uber-ace Elder wand?? :D

Angelus
20-10-07, 22:53
I think that was just an indicator right at the start from JK - No-one is safe :mis:

Speaking of unnecessary stuff in DH, which would you have kept - the Harry wand, or the super-uber-ace Elder wand?? :D

Both. :D But if I had to choose, I would have chosen the super-uber-ace Elder wand. :D

I've got this image of JK Rowling cackling like a mad woman, shouting "I'LL KILL THEM ALL! IT'S MY BOOK! THEY'LL ALL DIE! AND NO-ONE WILL SURVIVE! HOW'S YA LIKE THAT, EH?"

Rivendell
20-10-07, 22:55
:D

It's mine, I'll do what I want!!
*Waves wand* Dead! *Waves wand* Gay! *Waves wand* Dead!

Angelus
20-10-07, 22:57
:D

It's mine, I'll do what I want!!
*Waves wand* Dead! *Waves wand* Gay! *Waves wand* Dead!

LMFAO! :vlol:

*Waves wand* Gay!

*Waves wand* Spotty! *Waves wand* Ginger!

Rivendell
20-10-07, 23:01

*Waves wand* Greasy hair!! *Waves wand* Buck-toothed, frizzy-haired know-it-all!!

Angelus
20-10-07, 23:03

*Waves wand* Greasy hair!! *Waves wand* Buck-toothed, frizzy-haired know-it-all!!

The gay comment is still making me laugh!

*Waves wand* Clumsy oaf who grows up to be a brave person and chops off Nagi's head *Waves wand* Someone else write the book! I'm having too much fun with these spells!

Rivendell
20-10-07, 23:04
*Waves wand* Piles of cash.. *Waves wand* Sued! *Waves wand* Sued again! :D

Angelus
20-10-07, 23:06
*Waves wand* Piles of cash.. *Waves wand* Sued! *Waves wand* Sued again! :D

:vlol: :vlol: Hilarious!

By the way I've just been told that Angel in my avatar looks like you... :pi:

EDIT: Imagine the look on the poor soul's face who reads our posts! :vlol:

Rivendell
20-10-07, 23:09
I've just been told that Angel in my avatar looks like you... :pi:

:eek: Wow, it does a bit. Freaky. I've not noticed it before, my monitor's quite dark.

And damn, I hope JKR isn't reading this! I'm not taking the mick Ms Rowling, honest!! ;)

Angelus
20-10-07, 23:12
:eek: Wow, it does a bit. Freaky. I've not noticed it before, my monitor's quite dark.

And damn, I hope JKR isn't reading this! I'm not taking the mick Ms Rowling, honest!! ;)

I've never really noticed either. It's the under 5kb rule... makes it look all crappy. :(

I gave up reading Philosopher's Stone the other week. I might start it again soon, but the book is very child friendly compared to the later books.

Rivendell
20-10-07, 23:16
So true. That's my least fave book - sure, it's the one that got me hooked, but the later ones are soo much better. They get longer, darker, and more mature. I love the way her writing style/Harry's story grew with the audience! It grew with Harry, and even more so I think for the readers who are lucky enough to roughly be Harry's age when reading it. Makes the experience even better. :tmb:

I always used to picture classrooms in my school when reading the books, even some of my teachers! :eek:
Which is quite strange, as I always read Flitwick as being a lady, because one of my teacher's was quite tiny and Flitwick-like :D

Geck-o-Lizard
20-10-07, 23:34
Hell just keeps getting colder. I agree with you. I enjoy interpreting the characters my own way, and having definite limits put on them is frustrating... If I had my way, I'd edit out all the romantic relationships from the book. I feel a bit like Voldemort now though... http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4928/anxiousns1.gif

I revoke this statement. Dumbledore/Grindelwald has grown on me like bushfire... they're so cute! Nowhere near as nauseatingly annoying as Ron/Hermione or Harry/Cho.

Rivendell
20-10-07, 23:43
Got me thinking - I wonder if Rita picked up on any of it in the Life and Lies book? ;)

It's also got me thinking about a cartoon I want to draw tomorrow :mis:

Geck-o-Lizard
20-10-07, 23:44
Got me thinking - I wonder if Rita picked up on any of it in the Life and Lies book? ;)

Yes same... I wonder how many of the characters knew about it.

Rivendell
20-10-07, 23:46
Indeed, that'll be something interesting to look out for in the next read-through. Other character's reactions to Dumbledore. McGonagal in particular, I bet she knew.

Geck-o-Lizard
20-10-07, 23:49
Yeah. There are so many little hints to future things that you'll never notice until you read through them all again after finishing. Like in OotP, Petunia mentioned Lily & Snape's conversation about Dementors. Harry thought it was James & Lily, and with his impressive short-term memory, the detail was lost to the wind in seconds.

Rivendell
20-10-07, 23:55
That annoyed the heck out of me! By that time it was clear that when JKR wrote "Blah blah quickly changed the subject / hastily moved on" that said character was hiding something very relevant.

Harry just let that one pass, I couldn't believe it! I'd have had him question the bejesus out of her - he already thought he was expelled, he probably thought he was going to go live on the run with Sirius - why didn't he push his luck with her..

Bah, someone should re-write the HP books with a bigger comedy element in which Harry threatens answers out of everyone. :mis: :D

Geck-o-Lizard
21-10-07, 00:03
Harry uses his errant magic to keep the Dursleys under control when he's a kid, and by the time he receives the letter to Hogwarts, he's ruling their household with an iron fist. He gets to Hogwarts and gets sorted into Slytherin, and gets taught how to weasel information out of people by his housemates. He no longer has any trouble finding out everyone's plans, and destroys Voldie's horcruxes before Dumbledore even realises that's what he's looking for.

Then he goes on to become the next Dark Lord. :jmp:

Rivendell
21-10-07, 08:09
Well I'd read it! :D

Here's a transcript of most of what she said the other day.

Q: Did Neville ever find love?

Of course. ... To make him extra cool he marries the woman who becomes, eventually, the new landlady at The Leaky Cauldron, which I think would make him very cool among the students, that he lives above the pub. He marries Hannah Abbott.

How did you decide that Molly Weasley would be the one to finish off Bellatrix?

I always knew Molly was going to finish her off. I think there was some speculation that Neville would do it, because Neville obviously has a particular reason to hate Bellatrix. ..So there were lots of optios for Blelatrix, but I never deviated. I wanted it to be Molly, and I wanted it to be Molly for two reasons.

The first reason was I always saw Molly as a very good witch but someone whose light is necessarily hidden under a bushel, because she isn't in the kitchen a lot and she has had to raise, among others, and george which is like, enough... I wanted Molly to have her moment and to show that because a woman had dedicated herself to her family does not mean that she doesn't have a lot of other talents.

Second reason: It was the meeting of two kinds of - if you call what Bellatrix feels for Voldemort love, I guess we'll call it love, she has a kind of obsession with him, it's a very sick obsession ... and I wanted to match that kind of obsession with maternal love... the power that you give someone by loving them. So Molly was really an amazing exemplar of maternal love. ... There was something very satisfying about putting those two women together.

How different would the last two books be if Arthur had been killed in the middle of book five?

I think they would have been very different and it's part of the reason why I chose my mind. ... By turning Ron into half of Harry, in other words by turning Ron into someone who had suffered the loss of a parent, I was going to remove the Weasleys as a refuge for Harry and I was going to necessarily remove a lot of Ron's humor. That's part of the reason why I didn't kill Arthru. I wanted to keep Ron in tact ... a lot of Ron's humor comes from his insensitivity and his immaturity, to be honest about Ron. And Ron finally, I think, you see, grows up in this book. He's the last of the three to reach what I consider adulthood, and he does it then [ when he destroys the horcrux] and faces those things. So that's part of the reason. The only other reason I didn't kill Arthur was that I wanted to come full circle. We started with an orphan, someone who lost their parents because of the war. ANd so I wanted to show it again. ... Even though you don't see Teddy, I wanted to express in the epilogue, that he gets an even better godfather than Harry had, because Sirius had ihs faults, I think we must admit. He was a risky guy to have a s a godfather. Because Teddy gets someone who really has been there, and Harry becomes a really great father figure for Teddy as well as his own children. I hasten to add that I didn't kill Lupin or Tonks lightly. I loved them as characters...so that hurt, killing them.

Q: In the Goblet of Fire Dumbledore said his brother was prosecuted for practicing inappropriate charms [JKR buries her head, to laughter] on a goat; what were the inappropriate charms he was practicing on that goat?

JKR: How old are you?

Eight.

JKR: I think that he was trying to make a goat that was easy to keep clean [laughter], curly horns. That's a joke that works on a couple of levels. I really like Aberforth and his goats. But you know Aberforth having this strange fondness for goats if you've read book seven, came in really useful to Harry, later on, because a goat, a stag, you know. If you're a stupid Death Eater, what's the difference. So, that is my answer to YOU.

[loud applause]

Did Dumbledore, who believed in the prevailing power of love, ever fall in love himself?

My truthful answer to you... I always thought of Dumbledore as gay. [ovation.] ... Dumbledore fell in love with Grindelwald, and that that added to his horror when Grindelwald showed himself to be what he was. To an extent, do we say it excused Dumbledore a little more because falling in love can blind us to an extend, but he met someone as brilliant as he was, and rather like Bellatrix he was very drawn to this brilliant person, and horribly, terribly let down by him. Yeah, that's how i always saw Dumbledore. In fact, recently I was in a script read through for the sixth film, and they had Dumbledore saying a line to Harry early in the script saying I knew a girl once, whose hair... [laughter]. I had to write a little note in the margin and slide it along to the scriptwriter, "Dumbledore's gay!" [laughter] If I'd known it would make you so happy, I would have announced it years ago!

Q: Since Ron is able to speak Parseltongue in the last book, does that mean that parseltongue is a language that most witches and wizards can learn or must a person be born with some ability to speak Parseltongue.

JKR: I don't see it really as a language you can learn. So few people speak it that who would teach you? This is a weird ability passed down through the Slytherin blood line. However ROn was with Harry when he said one word in Parseltongue, which I do not know so I cannot duplicate for you, but he heard him say "Open," and he was able to reproduce the sound. So it was one word. Whether he could learn to speak to snakes properly is a separate issue. I don't think he could. But he knew enough, he was smart enough, to duplicate one necessary sound.

Q: [Speaker thanks Jo for the Dumbledore answer.]

JKR: You needed something to keep you going for the next 10 years! Oh, my god, the fan fiction now, eh? [Applause.]

Q: What did Dumbledore write in the letter to make the Dursleys take Harry?

JKR: Very, very good question. As you know, as we find out in book seven, Petunia once really wanted to be part of that world. And you discover that Dumbledore has written to her prior to the Howler...Dumbledore wrote to her very kindly and explained why he couldn't let her come to Hogwarts to become a witch. So, Petunia, much as she denis it afterwards, much as she turns against that world when she met Uncle Vernon, who is the biggest anti-wizard you could ever met in your life, a tiny part of her, and that's the part that almost wished Harry luck when she said goodbye to him in this book, she just teetered on the verge of saying, I do know what you're up against and I hope it's OK. But she couldn't bring herself to say it. Years of pretending she doesn't care have hardened her. But Dumbledore appealed in the letter you're asking about, so that part of Petunia that did remember wanting desperately to be part of the world and he appealed to her sense of fair play to a sister that she had hated because Lily had what she couldn't have. So that's how she persuaded Petunia to keep Harry. Good question.

Q: When Harry was stabbed by a basilisk in the Chamber of Secrets, since he was a Horcrux shouldn't it have been destroyed then?

JKR: I have been asked that a lot. Harry was exceptionally fortunate in that he had Fawkes. So before he could be destroyed without repair, which is what is necessary to destroy a horcrux, he was mended. However, I made sure that Fawkes wasn't around the second time a Horcrux got stabbed by a basilisk fang, so the poison did its work and it was irreparable within a short period of time.... I established early in the book, Hermione says that you destroy a Horcrux by using something so powerful that there's no remedy. But she does say there is a remedy for basilisk poison but of course it has to be administered immediately and when they stab the cup later - boy I'm really blowing this for anyone who hasn't finished the book - there's Fawkes, is my answer. And thank you for giving me a chance to say that because people have argued that quite a lot.

Q: Why couldn't Harry speak to a portrait of Dumbledore throughout the last book>

Well there are two reasons, three reasons actually... Teh last bit, why did he have to decode? As Dumbledore says to Harry...to tell Harry about the Hallows was to tempt him. And Harry, throughout all seven books has been incredibly impetuous and reckless. That's one of Harry's biggest flaws. He does tend to act without thinking, and Dumbledore knows this about Harry. He wants him to work it out slowly enough to gain wisdom along the way. That's why he passed the information through Hermione, who is the most cautious person in the books, as you know. And Dumbledore says explicitly, so your good heat isn't overcome by your hot heads. Or I may have paraphrased myself slight there so forgive me. "She doesn't even know her own book!" [laughter] Yes so that's one reason. Harry needs to decode. He said, he does say in this book, he's frightened by his decision not to race for the wand, because he had never chosen not to act. So that's Harry's real big coming of age moment, that he's decided to hold back for the first time very in his life. So the other two reasons that i have for him not t speak to Dumbledore's portrait, first of all, I crated a lot of rules for this world and then later had to navigate my away around them. But this rule was always good, and the rule was that portraits could only move between portraits in the same building. so if I'm in a picture and you're in a picture and we're both in Carnegie Hall, then we can move into each other's pictures. Otherwise we can only move only to other places where we have a portrait. You can't just move willy nilly through all the - the Louvre, the Met - you can't do a world tour, as a picture person. You are limited by geography. So there was that reason. And then lastly of course, the third reason, is it really would be too easy and I wouldn't have had a plot.

Q: Many of us older readers have noticed over the years similarities between the Death Eaters tactics and the Nazis from the 30s and 40s. Did you use that historical era as a model for Voldemort's reign and what were the lessons that you hope to impart to the next generation?

It was conscious. I think that if you're, I think most of us if you were asked to name a very evil regime we would think Nazi Germany. There were parallels in the ideology. I wanted Harry to leave our world and find exactly the same problems in the wizarding world. So you have the intent to impose a hierarchy, you have bigotry, and this notion of purity, which is this great fallacy, but it crops up all over the world. People like to think themselves superior and that if they can pride themselves in nothing else they can pride themselves on perceived purity. So yeah that follows a parallel. It wasn't really exclusively that. I think you can see in the Ministry even before it's taken over, there are parallels to regimes we all know and love. [Laughter and applause.] So you ask what lessons, I suppose. The Potter books in general are a prolonged argument for tolerance, a prolonged plea for an end to bigotry, and I think ti's one of the reasons that some people don't like the books, but I think that's it's a very healthy message to pass on to younger people that you should question authority and you should not assume that the establishment or the press tells you all of the truth.

[Loud applause.]

Q: What did it feel like completing your first Harry Potter book versus completing the last.

JKR: What a great question. It felt strangely similar actually. Both feelings were more alike than with any of the other books. When I finished the first book, there was this incredible sense of achievement that i'd actually written a novel, i"d actually finished my book. And it was after seven years of writing and making notes and rewriting. And then when I finished the seventh book, that was 17 years. WIth the seventh book there was a huge feeling of loss as well. I couldn't believe I was done. And it took me weeks, as my poor, long-suffering husband will attest. He's here. [applause] Yes, you should clap him, he's very patient! [ovation] He's not the type to stand up and take about but trust me. Toward the end of a book i'm not that easy to live with. Yes Neil would bear witness to the fact that for weeks, really... it felt like a bereavement. I knew it was coming. I was prepared, I knew it would hurt, and it was huge. So, that's why I'm glad to be here and talk about it. Thank you.

Voice: Excuse me, Ms. Rowling?

JKR: Hello.

Voice: I have a question.

JKR: God? [laughter] And they say I don't believe in you! [Ovation.]

Voice: May I approach teh stage?

JKR: Sorry, I missed that, what was that? You may approach the stage, I always wondered what oyu looked like.

Announcer: Actually I don't have a question but I do have a little surprise. [Explains that they've picked some more questions from competition winners, randomly chosen to surprise sweepstakes winners.]

Q: Does Malfoy owe Harry a debt?

JKR: That's a great question and a lot of people wanted to know that. When Dumbledore said to Harry, Voldemort won't want a close associate who is in your debt, I wasn't implying by that there was any kind of magical bond there. It was more that Dumbldore's extensive wisdom and knowledge of human nature, he knew as Harry later thinks in book seven, he knew that Pettigrew would react a certain way to having saved his life. ... He's weak, fundamentally weak. Pettigrew is a very weak character. He's not someone I like at all. He's a weak person and he likes to gravitate to people who are stronger. Dumbledore is right. Pettigrew had an impulsive mercy... would Malfoy e in Harry's debt? I think the very worst burden Harry could have put Malfoy under was this one, that Malfoy has to feel any kind of gratitude. So I tried to show that slightly in the epilogue when they look slightly at each other and there's a, "Hi. It's so embarrassing, you saved my life. No one will ever let me forget it." I think, does he owe him a debt, probably not. I think Malfoy would go back to being an improved version of what he was but we shouldn't expect him to be a really great guy any time soon.

Q: Harry often wondered about his parents lives before he died. What did Lily, James, Remus, Lupin and Sirius do after Hogwarts?

JKR: To take Remus first, Remus was unemployable. Poor Lupin, prior to Dumbledore taking him in, lead a really impoverished life because no one wanted to employ a werewolf. The other three were full-time members of the Order of the Phoenix. If you remember when Lily, James and co. were at school, the first war was raging. It never reached the heights that the second war reached, because the Ministry was never infiltrated to that extend but it was a very bad time, the same disappearances, the same deaths. So that's what they did, they left school. James has gold, enough to support Sirius and Lily. So I suppose they lived foff a private income. But they were full-time fighters, that's what they did, until Lily fell pregnant with Harry. So then they went into hiding.

Q: Did Hagrid ever get married and have children?

[Aww from crowd] JKR: Oh, did Hagrid ever get married and have children? No. [awwws again] I may change that immediately due to the look on your face. Yes! He had 22! - No, no, Hagrid never did marry and have children. I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. Oh I feel terrible now. I'll write another book! [Ovation] Realistically, Hagrid's pool of potential girlfriends is extremely limited. Because with the giants killing each other off, the number of giantesses around is infinitesimal and he met one of the only, and I'm afraid, she thought he was kind of cute, but she was a little more, how should I put it, sophisticated than Hagrid. So no, bless him. [Awws] I kept him alive, come on! [Applause.]

Q: Is Severus Snape's portrait in the headmaster's office?

JKR: Some have been asking why hasn't the portrait appeared immediately. It doesn't. The reason is that the perception in the castle itself and everyone who was in the castle, because Snape kept his secret so well was that he abandoned his post. So all the portraits you see in the headmaster's study are all headmasters and mistresses who died, it's like British royals. You only get good press if you die in office. Abdication is not acceptable, particularly if you marry and American. I'm kidding! [laughter] I digress. I know, because I thought this one through, because it was very important to me, I know Harry would have insisted that Snape's portrait was on that wall, right beside Dumbledore's. [Applause.] As for whether Harry would go back to talk to him, I think, I'm not sure he would have done. Snape, I was really [?] the week after I finished the book. And I went to a chat room - not a chat room, what am I talking about? [laughter] I never go in chat rooms. I went onto a fan site because I was looking for questions to put up on my Web site, which is sometimes difficult. And I was so heartened to see that people on the message boards that people were still arguing about Snape. The book was out, and they were still arguing whether Snape was a good guy But that was really wonderful to me, because there's a question there, was Snape a good guy or not? In many ways he really wasn't. SoI haven't been deliberately misleading everyone all this time, when I say that he's a good guy. Because even though he did love and he loved very deeply and he was very brave, both qualities that I admire above anything else. He was bitter and he was vindictive... but right at the very very end, he did, as your question acknowledges, acheive a kind of peace together and I tried to show that in the epilogue.

daventry
21-10-07, 08:09
Professor Dumbledore is Gay, it is said by JK Rowling herself when she was interviewed by Fans.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1289212,00.html

Rivendell
21-10-07, 08:10
That's so, like eight pages ago :ton:

vespertea
21-10-07, 08:30
Well I'd read it! :D

Here's a transcript of most of what she said the other day.

Awesome! Thanks, Rivendell. Interesting read.

Angelus
21-10-07, 12:10
That's so, like eight pages ago :ton:

Wow, that transcript was great. Thanks Riv! :tmb:

Reggie
21-10-07, 12:33
Just found out Dumbledore is supposed to be gay! :yik:
Didn't see that one coming.

Joe_16
21-10-07, 12:37
I've just read that as well. Rather random.

ThomasCroft
21-10-07, 13:03
I'm pleased Dumbledore is gay. Eventually, some sort of recognition that homosexuality does not make you a freak or a bad person. I just wish she'd made it more clear in the books so the message would have gotten out to more people.

Rivendell
21-10-07, 15:16
Oh I think it'll / has already spread like wild fire. :)

That Laura Mallory woman is going to have an utter field day.

Necromanser
21-10-07, 15:21
why do you all think dumbledore is gay but I know his brother aberoth is a zoophile

Bonez
21-10-07, 15:24
why do you all think dumbledore is gay

Because JKR said it herself. :)

Rivendell
21-10-07, 15:25
Because JKR said he was (http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1674069,00.html?imw=Y)!
And she also pretty much confirmed there was more than just dodgy charms going on with those goats too! :vlol:

Necromanser
21-10-07, 15:26
@riv-lol :vlol:

Bonez
21-10-07, 15:27
And she also pretty much confirmed there was more than just dodgy charms going on with those goats too! :vlol:

Necromanser
21-10-07, 15:30
@riv-I always wonder why old dumby was so kind to ron and harry

Mytly
21-10-07, 19:38
@riv-I always wonder why old dumby was so kind to ron and harry
Because he wanted to sleep with them? Oh yes, after all that's the only reason why he would be kind to them. It couldn't possibly be because he was a good headmaster and cared about his students. :rolleyes:

Geck-o-Lizard
21-10-07, 19:49
Saw OotP at the Imax today. It was good. :jmp:

Rivendell
21-10-07, 19:51
Gahhh jealous I am.

I've never been to an Imax, but I'd LOVE to see OOtP on one!

raiderfun
21-10-07, 19:53
So Dumbeldore is gay right ? :D

vespertea
21-10-07, 20:21
So Dumbeldore is gay right ? :D

No, it was all just a joke. :tmb:

OldFart
21-10-07, 20:24

Oh YEAH ? ? ? :)

I mean, "Homosexuality in British Public Schools" !??! ....

Nope, that NEVER happens, does it ??? ;p

Rivendell
21-10-07, 20:27

Lol don't tease him! :p

Yeah Badr, it's true. :wve:

vespertea
21-10-07, 20:31

What if it was a joke, though? Imagine Rowling coming back a week later and being like "jk, guys, i was just kiddin, dumbledore's as straight as a stick lol"

She'd probably be assassinated or something. :rolleyes:

Geck-o-Lizard
21-10-07, 20:55
Yeah. The rabid fangirls would probably skewer her. :p

raiderfun
21-10-07, 21:30

Ok, quite funny for an old guy ! :p

What if it was a joke, though? Imagine Rowling coming back a week later and being like "jk, guys, i was just kiddin, dumbledore's as straight as a stick lol"

She'd probably be assassinated or something. :rolleyes:

LMAO XD ! :vlol:

daventry
22-10-07, 08:36
I thought Dumbledore was in love with Professor Minerva McGonagall (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0001000/), she sure looks like she has a crush on him in the Movies.

Shark_Blade
22-10-07, 10:48
The scene where Dumbledore was dancing with Minerva at the Yule Ball was really misleading then:pi:

danitiwa
22-10-07, 11:00

:vlol: :vlol:ALBUS MY LOVE!
The scene where Dumbledore was dancing with Minerva at the Yule Ball was really misleading then:pi:

Hm, I think Dumbledore and Minerva had something more than Jk actually gave off. Well, we all know they were close at least.

@The whole gay pedofile Dumbledore thing: (Right at the end. :D)
Bi4Ljpd6OqU

Hmm, if only I could rip DVD's, I'd make the best mash of a Herbert the pervert voice+Dumbledore. :vlol: :cln:

Shark_Blade
23-10-07, 05:25
Maybe JK was upset by Michael Gambon's acting then she decides to put shame on the old man's face.:pi:

Dumbledore: Harry! Did ya put ya nam in da gobla de fiyaaa? *mouth foaming*

JK: OMG, who the hell does he think he is? Well, I'll make him the laughing stock of the whole world. I'll make him GAY! Yes, that's what I'll do! *jumps on sofa and starts singing "it's raining men"*

@Dani: Cool video :D

danitiwa
23-10-07, 05:27
Maybe JK was upset by Michael Gambon's acting then she decides to put shame on the old man's face.:pi:

Dumbledore: Harry! Did ya put ya nam in da gobla de fiyaaa? *mouth foaming*

JK: OMG, who the hell does he think he is? Well, I'll make him the laughing stock of the whole world. I'll make him GAY! Yes, that's what I'll do! *jumps on sofa and starts singing "it's raining men"*

:vlol: Lmfao at the mouth foaming. :vlol:

Ada the Mental
23-10-07, 11:59
I really hope she doesn't reveal McGonagal's orientation now, or something like that. :yik:

Not least because putting 70-year-old school teachers and sex in the same sentence is blasphemy!

Geck-o-Lizard
23-10-07, 12:26
To be fair, she wasn't always 70. :p

Plus it's likely Dumbledore died a virgin... his love was unrequited. So there's nothing there to scar your precious minds with.

Shark_Blade
23-10-07, 12:46

Plus it's likely Dumbledore died a virgin... his love was unrequited. So there's nothing there to scar your precious minds with.I heard of the 40 year old virgin, but Dumbledore a virgin?Perish the thoughts!:p

Necromanser
23-10-07, 13:42

Plus it's likely Dumbledore died a virgin... his love was unrequited. So there's nothing there to scar your precious minds with.
What about Grindelwald

Geck-o-Lizard
23-10-07, 13:56
Unrequited. Not returned. Grindelwald never loved Dumbledore back, apparently.

Necromanser
23-10-07, 14:03
@geck-o-lizard-maybe he did you never know what jk is capable of
off topic:whats that on your avatar

Geck-o-Lizard
23-10-07, 14:10
off topic:whats that on your avatar

Randy, one of the comic relief characters from the graphic novel Steampunk: Manimatron.

danitiwa
23-10-07, 15:09

:vlol: Aawww. :p

Scottlee
23-10-07, 18:37

And rightly so. When it comes to realism you can get away with anything in the Potter universe - crying mandrakes, vanishing train platforms, heads appearing in the fireplace. I WILL NOT however tolerate Rowling trying to imply that any woman finds a pair of moon spectacles sexy.

ThomasCroft
23-10-07, 18:44
And rightly so. When it comes to realism you can get away with anything in the Potter universe - crying mandrakes, vanishing train platforms, heads appearing in the fireplace. I WILL NOT however tolerate Rowling trying to imply that any woman finds a pair of moon spectacles sexy.

Grindelwald's a bloke.

Ain't ya heard the news? :whi: ...

danitiwa
23-10-07, 18:48

:vlol: It's like: Oh Albus, I love the way you sport that pointy hat... And that beard is the most attractive thing in the world. :vlol:

Nah, Dumbledore became a Buddhist, he looks not for pleasure. :D

xcrushterx
23-10-07, 18:50
Where is the news (post, article whatever lol) of JK confessing Dumbledore's gay? Me wanna read LOL

danitiwa
23-10-07, 18:59
Where is the news (post, article whatever lol) of JK confessing Dumbledore's gay? Me wanna read LOL

Nowhere, it's just a thing the GHPT made up to be funny. :p

xcrushterx
23-10-07, 19:00
Nowhere, it's just a thing the GHPT made up to be funny. :p
You're serious? It was just a joke? I was planning on telling my friends he was gay tomorrow, lol. They'd find it interesting... :(

Rivendell
23-10-07, 19:04
It wasn't a joke at all, here's a list of news links:

http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&ned=uk&q=dumbledore+gay&btnG=Search+News

xcrushterx
23-10-07, 19:06

:yik:

Was it supposed to be obvious or something? Because it wasn't lol.

Rivendell
23-10-07, 19:07
Nah, not at all.
That's why people are surprised, and it's one of the reasons I don't understand why people are making a fuss about it - it wasn't implied in the books, so imo, it hasn't changed anything about them.

xcrushterx
23-10-07, 19:09
Nah, not at all.
That's why people are surprised, and it's one of the reasons I don't understand why people are making a fuss about it - it wasn't implied in the books, so imo, it hasn't changed anything about them.
That is soo going to give people the wrong idea of some parts of the books. Didn't he mention in one of them that he loved Harry? I think it was probably not such a smart idea to give that info away.

danitiwa
23-10-07, 19:12

By Jove, I must have missed that part. :eek:

WTF?! JK ACTUALLY CONFESSED?! :yik: That's just very unusual IMO.

Herbert anyone? :vlol:

*dursleys press answering machine*
Dumbledore: Haven't s*een that nic*e Potter boy for a while.

Dumbledore: Was* wondering when that nic*e Potter boy went off to!

Dumbledore: Miss*ing that nic*e Potter boy, need some one to bring in the good news*!

*Snitch flies through window*

Dumbledore: Go fetch Hats*y!

*Hat gets Snitch*

Dumbledore: Look*s like the good lord has s*ent me a topic s*tarter!

Hat: Mmmmmm

Dumbledore: Mmmmmmmm

Sedge
23-10-07, 19:16
I bet a bunch of fanart is so going to follow, hmm.. :mis:

xcrushterx
23-10-07, 19:18
I bet a bunch of fanart is so going to follow, hmm.. :mis:
Wow, Sara :eek: I think that's the first time I have seen you post with the ":gay:". Especially on such an appropriate occasion LOL

FourBalls
23-10-07, 19:24
Wow, Sara :eek: I think that's the first time I have seen you post with the ":gay:". Especially on such an appropriate occasion LOL
I guess she just forgot :p

But to express my shock on the whole Dumbledore thing...I'm gonna have to say...:eek:

Sedge
23-10-07, 19:38
:D Well I think it should be more like..

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/sedgez/albusgay.png

danitiwa
23-10-07, 19:39
:D Well I think it should be more like..

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/sedgez/albusgay.png

Sedge, you've always had a talent for smiley making. :vlol:

Geck-o-Lizard
23-10-07, 19:45
Love it! :vlol:

Rivendell
23-10-07, 19:53
Lol! Class :D

Angelus
23-10-07, 20:00
That gave me a little giggle! :D

ThomasCroft
23-10-07, 20:03

Rivendell
23-10-07, 21:35
Mugglenet have published a good article on the matter :tmb:

In Defence of Dumbledore

The recent revelations about Dumbledore's sexuality have provoked a huge amount of debate, and quite rightly so. The issue is important, and Dumbledore is one of the most loved and respected characters in the series, so we shouldn't be surprised that just about everyone wants to offer an opinion on the matter. What has been disappointing, and to me at least (although perhaps somewhat naïvely), surprising, has been the negativity of some of the reactions.

The truth of the matter is this: whether Albus is attracted to women or to men makes not one jot of difference to his ability as a wizard, a headmaster, a fighter against Voldemort and a mentor to Harry. It doesn't make his intentions or reasons different, or affect the importance of any of his actions or achievements. And yet, whilst a large amount of the debate on the issue has been constructive, there is still a very loud and significant voice within it shouting that JKR has let us down, Dumbledore has let us down, and questioning how we can never look at either Albus or the books in the same way again. Most ludicrously of all, the suggestion has been repeatedly made that this information puts an entirely different light on Dumbledore's relationship with Harry.

I suggested that my surprise at the vitriol directed in Dumbledore's direction by some (although certainly not all people) was naïve, and my reasons for this are as follows: I believed that the world was moving towards being a more tolerant place, where discrimination was being driven out wherever it was found. It wasn't long ago that racism was rampant and accepted as a general part of society; now it is not. The same is true of sexism, anti-Semitism, religious discrimination of other types and so on. I'm not saying that no racists, sexists or anti-Semites still exist, but to be one has become the socially unacceptable stance rather than the other way round.

I had believed that we were moving in the same way with homophobia, and that it was becoming a social taboo to discriminate against someone based on their sexual orientation (which after all hurts nobody else and involves activities between consenting adults only). This is certain true to an extent, but it only takes an event like the announcement about Dumbledore for it to become clear how much work still needs to be done in accepting everyone as equals regardless of their sexuality.

The bottom line is that discrimination, of all forms, is unacceptable. Very few people these days think it is acceptable to treat somebody unfavourably because he is black, or because she is female. JKR herself, during her US tour, described the HP books as a "prolonged argument for tolerance", where she has quite deliberately moved to make her characters real and human, with all the idiosyncrasies that come with it. She has, at every turn, resisted making her heroes square-jawed hunks with copper-flecked eyes, and her heroines images of perfection that shine with radiant beauty. This is one of the things that made Simon Walters' 2006 attack on her portrayal of overweight characters (which resulted in our "Fat is a Feminist Issue" article in defence of JKR) so ridiculous. Dumbledore's sexuality is part of this process of tolerance that Jo is promoting.

Let us be certain about one thing: Jo didn't make this up on the spot, and the evidence - particularly with regards to Albus' relationship with Gellert Grindelwald, is there for all to see in the books. Dumbledore was always gay, but the issue hadn't been brought up and stated explicitly because it wasn't relevant. When the news came out, it wasn't because JK suddenly decided to announce it, it was because she was asked a question and answered honestly. She made Dumbledore gay for the same reason that she made Dean and Kingsley black, Harry have glasses, the Weasley family have ginger hair, or Hermione have buck teeth and an unusual name: she wanted to make the point that you can be any of these things and still be the hero, still be the good guy. In her own words, she wanted to promote tolerance.

It should be pointed out at this stage that it isn't my right, or anyone else's, to tell anybody else what to think. I certainly don't want to promote an Orwellian society where Thought Criminals are sent to Room 101 for reprogramming. What I do want to do is to raise issues and educate the reader where necessary so that they can make informed decisions for themselves rather than just going with the herd mentality of thinking what somebody else has told them to think, or holding a prejudice simply because the people around them do.

It is the right of everybody to think what they want to think. It is not their right, however, to discriminate against anybody based on their opinions. Whilst freedom of speech is an important right, it often interferes with other human rights: specifically the right for freedom from intimidation or discrimination. When such rights are in direct opposition, it is the right to freedom from discrimination that must always win out. Racists often use freedom of speech arguments to justify promoting their views, but society has correctly placed greater importance on the right to freedom from intimidation for those they try to oppress. Therefore, whilst this editorial makes no attempt to tell people what to think, it must also be made clear that nobody has the right to discriminate against any group of people, whatever they think of them. And accusing JKR of letting us down or misleading us, or threatening to abandon the books altogether, just because it turns out that one of the characters is gay, is discrimination. It's as simple as that.

The case of Dumbledore is typical of the type of discrimination in question: JKR announces his sexuality, which is of no relevance whatsoever to his ability to do his job or his contribution to the fight against Voldemort, and a certain (and rather large) group of people start flinging accusations at him...

Doesn't this throw a different light on his relationship with Harry?
No, of course it doesn't. Homosexuals and paedophiles are not the same thing. Dumbledore's relationship with Harry is not affected by Dumbledore's sexuality. If you think that Dumbledore was pursuing an inappropriate relationship with Harry just because you now know that he's gay, surely when you thought he was straight you thought he was doing the same with Hermione or Ginny? This whole argument is ridiculous: just because Dumbledore was attracted to men does not mean he was attracted to Harry, or to young boys in general.

But now I can't think of Dumbledore without imagining him with other men!
Why on earth not? When you thought Dumbledore was straight, could you not think of him without imagining him with women? Why on earth would you think about that aspect of his life whenever he's mentioned? When he's talking to Harry about Voldemort, or carrying out his headmasterly duties, this sort of thing isn't relevant in the slightest.

JKR has let us all down by making Dumbledore gay!
In what way? Does it make his wisdom any less wise? Does it make his leadership of Hogwarts any less successful? Does it make him any less of a good and honest man? In a word, no! His sexual orientation is of no consequence to his work or worth. The only reason for feeling "let down" can be an irrational dislike of homosexuals in general, which is totally unreasonable.

In all honesty, it is true to say that society has come a long way with regards to treatment of gays. It is only a matter of decades ago that in some cultures practicing homosexuality was an imprisonable criminal offence, whilst in others homosexuality was seen as a mental illness. Thankfully such days are gone, but a certain portion of the reaction when a public figure such as Dumbledore "comes out" still proves that there is a long way to go.

So why is it that homosexuality is seen as such an unacceptable behaviour in the first place? Surely it is simply a matter of preference, a recognition of one's own personal feelings, that affects nobody else? Homosexuals form relationships with other homosexuals, so why on earth does it matter to anyone else?

The fact is that there are very few, if any, rational justifications for homophobic behaviour. OK, some people might see homosexuality as something that they would find revolting if they were asked to do it themselves, and I quite accept that. There are things that I feel the same way about: I would find it revolting, for example, to work in an abattoir or to eat a banana (they disagree violently with me). But I still respect others who are happy to do these things, and this is the key. Just because homosexuality is not your own preference, this is no reason not to respect other people's choices or to accuse JKR of letting people down by making Dumbledore gay.

The real reason that homosexuals are discriminated against lies with classic "them and us" human behaviour. It makes people happy to feel that they are "better" than other people, and so notional groups are formed, where people with differences - be they based on skin colour, gender, religion or sexuality - are singled out and identified as inferior. By convincing ourselves that we are "better" than the other group (although what "better" actually means is undefined), we feel better about ourselves. It's all about self-esteem.

You'd be hard pushed to find someone who'd admit that this is their reasoning, however, and to be fair, the vast majority of people probably aren't even aware that this is why they are doing it. They're just doing what everyone else is and following the pack. And so when justification is called for, debate inevitably heads in the one direction that can offer some morsel of reasoning for allowing such discrimination: religion. This is the direction that the Dumbledore debate has headed in, because it is the direction that debates about sexuality always go.

The justification is as follows: it's OK to denounce homosexuality because the Holy Book (be it the Bible, the Koran or whatever) states clearly that it is an aberration in the eyes of the Lord. End of story? Well, not quite. Now, I'm not claiming to be any sort of expert on Islam or the Koran, so I shall leave this subject well alone. Having been brought up as a Christian, however, I am something of an expert on the Bible, and so it is on this that I shall concentrate.

And the truth is… yes, the Bible clearly states that homosexuality is a disgusting thing in the eyes of God. It says this in the book of Leviticus, the chapter in which the laws passed from God to Moses are listed. This would appear to be pretty damning evidence at first sight, until you consider that the following laws are also specified:

* The punishment for adultery is death.
* Anyone consulting a medium is to be stoned to death.
* Anyone so much as lighting a fire in their house on the Sabbath is to be put to death.
* It is forbidden to cut your hair, or to wear clothing made out of more than one fabric.
* It is, however, perfectly acceptable to sell your children into slavery should you choose to do so.

So anybody who cites the Bible as the reason to denounce homosexuality, but who has ever had a haircut or worn a polyester and cotton shirt, actually has a moral obligation to have themselves stoned to death at the earliest opportunity.

Of course in today's society such a thing would be regarded as utterly barbaric, and quite rightly so. And this is the point. I didn't quote these laws from Leviticus in order to bring the Bible into any kind of disrepute, I did it to illustrate an important point. The fact is, the Bible was not (to quote another source) faxed from heaven. It does not contain the word of God, as dictated by God. It contains the word of God as interpreted and retold by men, often hundreds of years after the event, having been passed down from generation to generation by word of mouth.

The Bible is a document of its time, with its content reflecting the spirit of the times in which it was written. Back then, the laws described in Leviticus were no doubt seen as totally reasonable, but they are not today. And it is no more relevant today to discriminate against homosexuals than it is to insist on stoning someone to death for heating their home.

One important and relevant point is that Jo herself is a Christian, but an enlightened one who recognises that the general message that religion delivers (in simple language, be nice to everyone no matter how different from you they are) is more important than the minutiae of wording put together in a time when the standards of society were very different to those of today. She had not let anyone down by making Dumbledore gay, because his sexuality is irrelevant to his value in the story. To suggest otherwise is to discriminate against homosexuality in general, which (as it is a personal matter and one that affects nobody else) there is no valid reason for doing.

We now know for sure that Dumbledore was gay, and we also know (given the information provided in Deathly Hallows) that Snape was straight. This knowledge makes no difference at all, in either case. They still thought the same things as they thought before, did the same things as they did before, and had the same value as people as they had before. And for those who insist this is not the case, it would appear that Jo could teach you a lot about the issue of tolerance.

Linky (http://www.Mugglenet.com)

BlackGrey
23-10-07, 21:44
Good article :tmb:

xcrushterx
23-10-07, 21:47
I wonder if she expected such a drama. Oh well... Lets just hope that all fanart that references to this is rejected everywhere :pi:

ThomasCroft
23-10-07, 21:58
That article was simply amazing. You don't realise how much that has helped me right now.

Geck-o-Lizard
23-10-07, 22:43
Bravo to Mugglenet! Fantastic article!

Shark_Blade
24-10-07, 04:50
I really am indifferent to the whole Dumbledore's gay. He's still a great character nonetheless. :)

danitiwa
24-10-07, 04:52
Mugglenet have published a good article on the matter :tmb:

Linky (http://www.Mugglenet.com)

Too looong... :O :pi:

I know, I'm such a lazy ass.

Shark_Blade
24-10-07, 05:04
Gah! Just watched dumbledore on deviantart :( I don't care what they did to Michael Gambon but leave Richard Harris alone.:(

danitiwa
24-10-07, 05:39
Anyone seen this? :vlol:

http://mairelyn.deviantart.com/art/DUMBLEDORE-IS-ALIVE-PROOF-25416001

Geck-o-Lizard
24-10-07, 07:18
*falls off chair*

That's fantastic :vlol: :vlol:

Joe_16
24-10-07, 10:50
I finished reading Deathy Hallows last night. I enjoyed it, but it certainly wasn't the best in the series.

The over reliance on polyjuice potion annoyed me a bit. I thought they would at least try and learn how to become an Animagus or something, to at least give it a little bit of variety.

The destruction of the Horcruxes was a bit meh. I was expecting each one to be some massive event. The Ravenclaw one just seemed very boring, and Rowling didn't even bother going into any depth on how Ron and Hermione's adventure into the Chamber of Secrets went. Once they had destroyed the first Horcrux, the others just seemed to follow without the same sort of struggle or anything.

Voldemort just sitting on his arse waiting 'for Harry to come to him' seemed a bit daft. Isn't he supposed to be the most powerful and evil wizard of all time?

Also it just seemed like Rowling let Harry off dying simply because Harry had accepted death. So Rowling just thought, how brave, no death for you now.

danitiwa
27-10-07, 18:39
/\
I think you made some good points. She was a bit lazy at some parts. But nothing is perfect. ;) (Except Bellatrix... XD)

Speaking of Bellatrix, thought you guys might be interested in this:

http://i21.************/2hdxnwi.jpg

Ada the Mental
28-10-07, 18:33
But nothing is perfect. ;) (Except Bellatrix... XD)
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t96/AdatheGrey/molly.jpg:ton:

So, Guillermo Del Toro wouldn't mind directing DH. How great/awesome/fantastic/etc would that be? *thinks of Pan's Labyrinth* :jmp:
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/10/26/guillermo-game-for-harry-potter/

Geck-o-Lizard
28-10-07, 18:38
If he directed DH, I'd have a nerdgasm. Pan's Labyrinth was incredible, and DH would give him loads of stuff to work his magic with. (Pun intended)

Rivendell
28-10-07, 18:39
If he directed DH, I'd have a nerdgasm.

:vlol: :vlol: :vlol:

danitiwa
28-10-07, 18:45
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t96/AdatheGrey/molly.jpg:ton:

So, Guillermo Del Toro wouldn't mind directing DH. How great/awesome/fantastic/etc would that be? *thinks of Pan's Labyrinth* :jmp:
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/10/26/guillermo-game-for-harry-potter/

And yes, I think he'd be awesome for the job, especially with HBP, it's a bit dark and gritty so perfect! Especially the horcrux part at the end.
If he directed DH, I'd have a nerdgasm.

What a word. :vlol: *adds to dictionary*

Rivendell
30-10-07, 00:41
Just watched this video again for the first time since, a couple of days before DH's release.

Made me realise just how much of a truly historical event it was :tmb:

F2dN_gSPgtE

findme
30-10-07, 00:45
Oh the memories! ^

And about Dumbledore being gay. Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I dunno I think JK just made that up on the spot, just because now Harry Potter is over, she wants to stir things up to get more media.

:S

lara_rocks
30-10-07, 06:28
Oh the memories! ^

And about Dumbledore being gay. Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I dunno I think JK just made that up on the spot, just because now Harry Potter is over, she wants to stir things up to get more media.

True..
It was neverr mentioned in the books so I agree, she probably did make it up on the spot lawl
Woo Half-blood prince will start filming in febuary ^^

danitiwa
30-10-07, 06:38
Oh the memories! ^

I think so too, she never even gave any signs of it in the books.

Geck-o-Lizard
30-10-07, 08:23
There's no way she made it up on the spot just to be controversial. She's not petty like that. She's done MASSIVE amounts of planning and backstory for every character; she would have decided on Dumbledore's personality and other attributes ages ago. She did give small hints in DH that Dumbledore felt a stronger bond than friendship to Grindelwald, but it was never necessary to go into explicit details.

hera7days
30-10-07, 11:26
There's no way she made it up on the spot just to be controversial. She's not petty like that.

I agree. Furthermore, IMHO it's not even just that she wouldn't use controversy, she really doesn't need to. At this point, she could say, "Harry had a bagel for breakfast in chapter # of book x" and fen would go nuts.

Plus, prior to this, she told a scriptwriter to omit some heterosexual line from Dumbledore's part, so that gives me pause. (I've heard this a few places. Uh... google dumbledore, gay, and script, and something will come up if you want to read a better description of how it went down.)

Geck-o-Lizard
30-10-07, 11:50
Yeah that was when he guy directing HBP wanted to add a line referring to a girlfriend Dumbledore had in his youth. JK was like, "uh, no you don't!"

peffect
30-10-07, 20:44
A little something I wanted to share, in case you've not seen it, yet.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/7955/promoodp061su0.jpg

Rivendell
30-10-07, 20:52
^That's so cool! :D

Signore Voldy looks so wrong in a black shirt though.

danitiwa
30-10-07, 20:59
^That's so cool! :D

Ditto. :vlol:

Geck-o-Lizard
30-10-07, 21:23

Yes! What was with his designer suit in OotP? http://img346.imageshack.us/img346/6403/thinkingpq3.gif

danitiwa
30-10-07, 21:24
Yes! What was with his designer suit in OotP? http://img346.imageshack.us/img346/6403/thinkingpq3.gif

He looked good at the train station tho.... :D

Voldy wears Chanel... Rawr. http://i6.************/4qyidzb.gif

Rivendell
30-10-07, 21:24
It really annoyed me. ROBES. He wears HOODED ROBES. Not Armani tuxes. Sheesh. :hea: He's the Dark Lord. Not an albino bank manager.

Geck-o-Lizard
30-10-07, 21:26
He's the Dark Lord. Not an albino bank manager.

:vlol: :vlol: :vlol:

Angelus
30-10-07, 21:29
Where are his red eyes?

EDIT: Maybe it's the drink that causes them... :pi:

Rivendell
30-10-07, 21:30
Lol, don't get me started - I'll end up ranting about the "Not KKK" in Goblet of Fire. :pi: Shouldn't really, they were a lot better in OotP.

danitiwa
*Annoys Chris*
I was imagining him in a Loius Vuitton brown tux when Harry Kills him. :p

He is in desperate need of Dior sunglasses.

Joe_16
It's always comforting to know that the Dark Lord still takes the time out to look smart.

Geck-o-Lizard
30-10-07, 21:35
Lol, don't get me started - I'll end up ranting about the "Not KKK" in Goblet of Fire. :pi:

http://acciobrain.ligermagic.com/hpdestorage.jpg
(http://acciobrain.ligermagic.com)

Sara Croft
30-10-07, 21:36
I've just been reading some of the books (for the nostalgia loel) and I must say Harry is such a whiner. Sure he lost his parents, but does he really have to moan about them being dead all the time? :p

Rivendell
30-10-07, 21:37
Acciobrain rules :D

danitiwa
30-10-07, 21:39
I get a bit annoyed by how perfect Harry is in every way, a hero, noble, honest, strong in personablah blah blah. WE ALL HAVE FAUTLS, Miss; Just Kidding Rowling. :p

Rivendell
30-10-07, 21:43
How cool is this!!

http://bloghogwarts.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/nevillegini.jpg

danitiwa
30-10-07, 21:45
/\
Seen plenty of those powerpuffy ones. They're sort of cute. :D

Sara Croft
30-10-07, 21:45
Power puff potter! :eek:

MrBear
30-10-07, 21:50
hopefully we won't see any Power Puff Potter Puppet Pals :p

Geck-o-Lizard
30-10-07, 21:56
Good grief, I hope not. D:

To clear that horrible mental image, here's a really impressive fanart:
http://sally-avernier.deviantart.com/art/Snape-and-the-bad-encounter-67698811

danitiwa
30-10-07, 21:56
This might sound extremly n0Ob, but does anyone know JK's actual name?

Sara Croft
30-10-07, 21:57

Its awsomely well drawn, but Harry looks absolutely mental. :p

Mister_Creazil
30-10-07, 21:58
Joanne Kathleen Rowling

danitiwa

That's good indeed. :tmb: :D I was always wondering how jealous Snape would be of James. Only annoying thing in the pic is that James looks like he's wearing leiderhosen, and Harry looks like a changeling/dark child...
Joanne Kathleen Rowling

Aah thank you. :tmb:

Mister_Creazil
Harry Potter, the books are good. Movies are only good for Emma Watson. =] And like... The last book was pretty amazing. A Prince's Tale had to be the BEST chapter. :P I'm sad.

Rivendell
31-10-07, 10:59
Mugglenet:

During the first 48 hours of its release, the French translation of Deathly Hallows, Harry Potter et les reliques de la mort, sold 1.15 million copies. This breaks the previous record of 800,000 set by Half-Blood Prince.

Yay!

Plus I love the French title! Reliques de la Mort, rolls right off the tongue - fantastic. :D

VonCroy360
31-10-07, 13:57
Plus I love the French title! Reliques de la Mort, rolls right off the tongue - fantastic. :D

I don't actually like the alternative 'Relics of death' title - sounds pretty boring and kind of cheap if you know what I mean. :vlol:
The croatian translation's title is 'Darovi smrti' which would be translated as 'gifts of death'. Imo that sounds kind of mystic and quite more interesting. :)

danitiwa
31-10-07, 20:53
/\
Patriot. :p

I've never read a Serbian/Croatian version, so I don't know. I'm happy with the Deathly Hallows thanks. :p

Ada the Mental
31-10-07, 20:56
Which reminds me that the Greek version of DH is out in a few days! :D Yay! I'm getting it, I have all the others in both versions and my mother has to read it, too.

Did anyone see the updates in JK's site?

VonCroy360
31-10-07, 21:21
I've never read a Serbian/Croatian version, so I don't know. I'm happy with the Deathly Hallows thanks. :p

Yup, I agree that the original title sounds the best.

But seriously, Relics of Death? Sounds like a not too inventive name for an LE level. :confused:
But I guess it's still better than her other title - she also actually thought of naming it HP and the Elder Wand. :p

Geck-o-Lizard
31-10-07, 21:26
HP and the Deathstick would've kicked so much more ass.

Lavinder
31-10-07, 21:28
HP and the Deathstick would've kicked so much more ass.

Whenever I read that I imagine it in some strange manly powerful voice O_O.

But yeah, it would kick arse.

Mytly
31-10-07, 21:28
The croatian translation's title is 'Darovi smrti' which would be translated as 'gifts of death'. Imo that sounds kind of mystic and quite more interesting. :)
That does sound more interesting. So is that 'Darovi' = Death's, and 'smrti' = gifts, or the other way around?

Did anyone see the updates in JK's site?
Yup. Wizard of the Month is ... Harry Potter. And apparently he joined the Auror office at the age of 17 - so immediately after the end of DH, presumably. Which means he never went back to Hogwarts for his seventh year, and never sat for the NEWTs.

The little time turner near the "Do Not Disturb" room is really cute - a really cool way to access the archive. I love seeing the days and nights go by really fast as the time turner turns. :D

VonCroy360
31-10-07, 21:30
That does sound more interesting. So is that 'Darovi' = Death's, and 'smrti' = gifts, or the other way around?

The other way around. XD

Ada the Mental
31-10-07, 21:30
HP and the Deathstick would've kicked so much :vlol: Definitely! "Deathstick" always cracks me up for some reason.

Or it could have been HP and The Three Teenagers In A Tent Whose Only Achievement Was Not, Yet, To Be Dead- would have summed up the book nicely.

Mister_Creazil
31-10-07, 21:32
I like that story. =] But the three teenagers in a tent was kind of tensing, eh? It built tension inside me... lol. Whether they'd get caught or not.

Ada the Mental
31-10-07, 21:41
Yup. Wizard of the Month is ... Harry Potter. And apparently he joined the Auror office at the age of 17 - so immediately after the end of DH, presumably. Which means he never went back to Hogwarts for his seventh year, and never sat for the NEWTs.
So ,since she didn't change Harry, there won't be a new one ?

You know, I would have expected Harry to insist on finish Hogwarts or at least having full Auror training to prevent people talking about preferential treatment or something like that. But I guess when you've just vanquished a Dark Lord...

I like that story. =] But the three teenagers in a tent was kind of tensing, eh? It built tension inside me... lol. Whether they'd get caught or not.
Yeah, it definitely created tension and showed the dynamics between the Trio, but I really missed most the other characters. Wish we could have seen more of the Order. :p

Sedge
31-10-07, 21:43
Finnish translation for Deathly Hallows will be "Kuoleman varjolukset". That actually sounds quite interesting, brave translator for not going with the alternative "Relics of Death"... Would have been something like "Kuoleman pyhäinjäännökset".. err. XD
Varjolus... Hallow. Varjolus. Hmm. I like it! :D
..just forgot what hallows were though. :pi: *opens the book*

Rivendell
31-10-07, 21:48
If they ever continue the Welsh HP books then DH will be something along the lines of "Cysegr Marwol", roughly translated as 'Fatal consecrated things'. :D

So far we've only got Maen yr Athronydd (Philosopher's Stone) and that was about 5 years ago, so I'm not holding to hope that we'll get the rest :whi:

Mister_Creazil
31-10-07, 21:49
Wasn't it true that after JK Rowling had pronounced Dumbledore being gay, she had told people she'd write another book?

Rivendell
31-10-07, 21:50
She was joking. :p

Mister_Creazil
31-10-07, 21:51
Lmao. She shouldn't have joked! xD

xcrushterx
31-10-07, 21:52
I severely hope she doesn't start another book. I wouldn't be able to stand the downer mood I was in after I finished DH again... :pi:

And because I prefer it when things end, they stay ended. Even if I really loved the series, when it's done it should stay done.

Mister_Creazil
31-10-07, 21:53
Well, maybe she could bring out a new series? Like Christopher Paolini, after his third book on the Inheritance Trilogy, he's taking a break then he's trying something else. I think she should try this. :)

Rivendell
31-10-07, 21:54
She probably reduced some poor kid to tears by saying that ;)
"OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG She's gonna write another book!!!!!!! Did you hear her? DID YOU?! OMG!!!"

"Relax, she's joking.."

Five years later, the kid is let out of the mental assylum - her only long lasting problems being a nervous twitch and a violent spasm whenever HP is mentioned.

findme
31-10-07, 21:57
Movies are only good for Emma Watson. =]

Oh NO YOU DIIN'T

that girl can't act for ****. Sure she is pretty and all but she really can't act.

Mister_Creazil
31-10-07, 21:58
She does act too poshly, but I don't think she's that bad. Rupert Grint isn't the best at acting either. and Daniel Radcliffe, in the paper the once it said he sleeps with his fans, but whichever fan calls him by 'Harry' and not 'Daniel', he kicks them out. That is what gave me a downfall of being a Daniel Radcliffe fan, because that is just outrageous.

Joe_16
31-10-07, 22:01
How old is Emma Watson?

xcrushterx
31-10-07, 22:01
How old is Emma Watson?
17, I think.

Mister_Creazil
31-10-07, 22:03
Yes, she's 17. Rupert's the young one, I think. xD

findme
31-10-07, 22:03
She does act too poshly, but I don't think she's that bad. Rupert Grint isn't the best at acting either. and Daniel Radcliffe, in the paper the once it said he sleeps with his fans, but whichever fan calls him by 'Harry' and not 'Daniel', he kicks them out. That is what gave me a downfall of being a Daniel Radcliffe fan, because that is just outrageous.

She doesn't act too poshly, she just DOESN'T act. She overdramatizes and goes beyond character in the 1-4 films and in the latets one she doesn't even bother, it felt like she just woke up on a really bad day. Rupert acts as good as Dan I think.

Daniel Radcliffe sleeps with his fans? You read too much tabloid mate.

EDIT: Rupert's 19 I think, Dan 18, Emma 17

Mister_Creazil
31-10-07, 22:04
Tabloid? I found it in 'The Sun'. I don't think Rupert Murdoch would have wanted that displayed in a newspaper if it was false, he wouldn't have allowed it.

Ada the Mental
31-10-07, 22:06
She doesn't act too poshly, she just DOESN'T act. She overdramatizes and goes beyond character in the 1-4 films and in the latets one she doesn't even bother, it felt like she just woke up on a really bad day.
Man! Just watch the scene where Moody's showing the kids the Unforgivables. That's some serious overacting.

findme
31-10-07, 22:06
Tabloid? I found it in 'The Sun'.

Exactly. It's THE SUN. The Sun IS a tabloid

They makeup tons of ****.

Mister_Creazil
31-10-07, 22:07
Lmao, I'm suprised Murdoch lets The Sun write all this stuff, because I bet it starts off arguments between people.

findme
31-10-07, 22:09
Lmao, I'm suprised Murdoch lets The Sun write all this stuff, because I bet it starts off arguments between people.

It ain't the first time. ;) No one bothers with the Sun when they want real stories. People just go for page 3 girls and pathetic gossip.

Rivendell
31-10-07, 22:10
I don't think Rupert's a rubbish actor either - but I think the scriptwriters should be smacked about a bit and made to actually study Ron's character in the books. He doesn't just hang around with Harry, whimper, and go 'Bloody 'ell' every other word.

Mister_Creazil
31-10-07, 22:11
And his fear of spiders come in every now and then. =]

Sara Croft
31-10-07, 22:12
Rupert is the best actor, then Emma and then Daniel. Daniel Radcliffe is a good looking harry potter, but sometimes .. Especially in the third when he 'cris'. omfg...I find Emma good. :]

xcrushterx
31-10-07, 22:14
I actually think Emma plays Hermione very well :)

Mister_Creazil
By the third, when he cries, do you mean when Emma and Rupert take off his cloak, and he's there, like whimpering, whatever you call it. Lol. I think a best line from a Harry Potter film is the one in Order of the Pheonix.

'So how was it?'
'Wet...'

Rivendell
Dan's getting much better. Muuuch better. He's improved so much in the last two films. :tmb:

I get shivers watching the slow-mo reaction of Sirius's death, when Lupin is holding him back and he's screaming - you can see the veins pulsing on his head and neck. It's quite scary, but really well done. :D

Joe_16
31-10-07, 22:15
There was a scene, can't remember what film it was where she comments about Ron having the emotional range of a teaspoon! I don't know why, but that made me laugh. The way she said it.

Mister_Creazil
31-10-07, 22:17
Another good line was Fudge....

'He's back!'

I mean, how obvious? AHA! The film was at an end when Fudge realised he was back.

Sara Croft
31-10-07, 22:18
By the third, when he cries, do you mean when Emma and Rupert take off his cloak, and he's there, like whimpering, whatever you call it. Lol. I think a best line from a Harry Potter film is the one in Order of the Pheonix.

'So how was it?'
'Wet...'
Yeah I ment that scene. I almost cried too, but for different reasons. :p And yeah, that line is a good line. (Taking out of the book, as it should be:tmb:)
Dan's getting much better. Muuuch better. He's improved so much in the last two films. :tmb:

I get shivers watching the slow-mo reaction of Sirius's death, when Lupin is holding him back and he's screaming - you can see the veins pulsing on his head and neck. It's quite scary, but really well done. :D

Yeah, I liked him quite alot in the OotP, but I just dont seem to like his acting that much. But it could also be something with the lines he gets. I mean.. He whipes alot more in the movies then in the films I think >_>
Either way, I still think his the worst of the three. :/

findme
31-10-07, 22:21
*cringes*

All the movies make the comical lines from the book sooouunnnddd so cheesy.

Rivendell
01-11-07, 06:09
Groan, here she goes again..

J.K. Rowling updated the News Section of her official site earlier today saying that she could not approve of "companion books" or "encyclopedias" to her series.

The Harry Potter author and Warner Bros. filed suit in a Manhattan Court today against Harry Potter Lexicon owner Steve Vander Ark and several defendants for publishing "an unofficial encyclopedic companion to the 'Harry Potter' series," saying it "infringes copyright and attempts to cash in on the successful brand." The Harry Potter Lexicon is slated to be released by RDR Books on November 28.

Roger Rapoport, the publisher and owner of RDR Books said the companion novel "only promotes the sale of J.K. Rowling's work and we intend to publish on schedule as planned."

:rolleyes:

danitiwa
01-11-07, 06:38
/\

*Reads in an annoying Hermionie tone*

Merlin's Beard.... :pi:

Ada the Mental
01-11-07, 06:40
I can't believe she's actually suing the Lexicon! :rolleyes:

danitiwa
01-11-07, 06:42
Fame has made her greedy. That's deffo.

I felt that when she wrote DH she was sort of like: "Ooh Alrrrigght, it will get me more money then I can keep swiming in it."

Mister_Creazil
01-11-07, 08:46
Fame has made her greedy. That's deffo.

I felt that when she wrote DH she was sort of like: "Ooh Alrrrigght, it will get me more money then I can keep swiming in it."

Why do you think that? Do you find it poorly written compared to others?

Legend 4ever
01-11-07, 10:05
I do find it like that. DH was not at all interesting and the ending was really stupid.

Shark_Blade
01-11-07, 11:12
I do find it like that. DH was not at all interesting and the ending was really stupid.
Yeah, I agree with that. Like wtf Harry's son was named Albus Severus Potter?? It's hideous! Eww, I cringe like a LOT when I read that part, it reeks with uber cheesiness.

I feel like she's too lazy or out of ideas to write the epilogue so she did it ridiculously because she thinks that "I'm the author, I can write however I want" without thinking about other people's feelings IMO.

Legend 4ever
01-11-07, 11:21
True. I thought I would explode. It was really cheesy and uninspired.:hea:

Geck-o-Lizard
01-11-07, 11:31
Actually the published epilogue wasn't the one she'd originally planned. The one she wanted originally turned out way too heavy on the details (I think she tried to give some info about all the main characters' fates) and it didn't flow, so she changed it.

But it WAS really cheesy, lmao.

hera7days
01-11-07, 11:33
Yeah, I agree with that. Like wtf Harry's son was named Albus Severus Potter?? It's hideous! Eww, I cringe like a LOT when I read that part, it reeks with uber cheesiness.

I feel like she's too lazy or out of ideas to write the epilogue so she did it ridiculously because she thinks that "I'm the author, I can write however I want" without thinking about other people's feelings IMO.

At least he didn't name his son something stupid like Scorpius*. Anyway, cheesy or not, I loved the epilogue because I was so tried of crap happening to Harry and pals that I was just glad to see they caught a break. :D

*actually, I think that name's kinda cool...

Rivendell
01-11-07, 18:23
OH MY GOD Seriously, you guys, you gotta check this out!

JKR's written The Tales of Beedle the Bard!!!

Another update was made to JK Rowling's official website today, in which it was announced in the news section that not only has Jo written 'The Tales of Beedle the Bard', the book of fairytales mentioned in Deathly Hallows, but also that the seventh of these rare, handwritten items will be auctioned for charity, The Children's Voice, with a starting price of £30,000.

The book includes the previously heard, "The Tale of the Three Brothers", as well as new stories, "The Fountain of Fair Fortune", "The Wizard and the Hopping Pot,", "Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump" and "The Warlock’s Hairy Heart".

The auction will take place at Sotheby's on December 13th 2007.

Thanks to everyone who sent this in!

Legend 4ever
01-11-07, 18:25
Amazing, but we ain't gonna get them.

Rivendell
01-11-07, 18:27
Amazing, but we ain't gonna get them.

I'll settle for someone typing it up online. Give it a few months - there may even be scans. :p

Legend 4ever
01-11-07, 18:28
Yeah, well, I hope. Still, it would be better to publish it in a normal way afterwards.

Rivendell
01-11-07, 18:30
She might in a few years, never know. Hopefully as a children in need thing again like Quidditch Through the Ages.

The BBC video about them looks amazing though - each of the 7 books has a unique hand crafted cover, they look stunning!

Legend 4ever
01-11-07, 18:34
Well, that's amazing. Here we are not getting HP 7 in Serbian since our publisher owes money to Bloomsbury and they took them the license. I had to buy Deathly Hallows in Croatian. But I read it in English too.

danitiwa
01-11-07, 19:22
Why do you think that? Do you find it poorly written compared to others?

Yep. It looked like she just wanted to get it over with, IMO it's like she was just as random as she could possibly get to make it interesting. :p

BEAUTIFUL FAN ART! :eek:

http://ellaine.deviantart.com/art/The-Winner-Deathly-Hallows-60825118

danitiwa
01-11-07, 20:06
Quick question, and sorry for the double post. But did *SPOILERS FOR DH*
Snape's patronus become a Doe because of Lily?*Close spoiler*

Rivendell
01-11-07, 20:54
^ Yep. Sort of like Tonks's for Lupin. :wve:

danitiwa
01-11-07, 20:55
^ Yep. Sort of like Tonks's for Lupin. :wve:

Aah, see I'm working on a picture... =3 XD

xcrushterx
01-11-07, 20:58
Aah, see I'm working on a picture... =3 XD
I don't get it though, lol. Was hers a doe, too? =\

Off-topic - Chris - Love the new av :D Did you make it?

Geck-o-Lizard
01-11-07, 21:10
I don't get it though, lol. Was hers a doe, too? =\

I'm guessing hers was a doe because of James being a stag animagus... but I have no idea why Snape's patronus took the feminine form. Is Snape really a woman?! :eek: Though it didn't say whether Tonks' wolf was male or female.

danitiwa
01-11-07, 21:11
Ok, HP fan art, finally. :p
People that haven't read DH might not know what I'm on about here. :p But I doubt it's a spoiler.
I call it... D'oh. (http://i4.************/6h4kcy0.jpg) <It SHALL be colored, in a mo'.
@Grace: I was wondering the same. :vlol:

xcrushterx
01-11-07, 21:12
I'm guessing hers was a doe because of James being a stag animagus... but I have no idea why Snape's patronus took the feminine form. Is Snape really a woman?! :eek: Though it didn't say whether Tonks' wolf was male or female.

Possibly... with that hair and all xD

jackali
01-11-07, 22:18
Snape's patronus took the feminine form. Is Snape really a woman?!

Because it was a representation of a certain someone.

Mytly
01-11-07, 22:50
Is there any reason why a man's patronus has to be male, and a woman's female? :confused:
I'd say that Snape's patronus was female because it was meant to represent Lily - if it had been male, it would have been a stag, and represented James. ;)