PDA

View Full Version : The General Harry Potter thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Apofiss
01-11-07, 22:56
A little question from someone who doesn't read HP books, just movies; in the 4th hp movie we clearly can see that L.Malfoy is on the Voldemort's side (one of the death eaters who arrived to Harry's killing party), so, in the 5th movie, again, we can clearly see L.Malfoy having a private debate with the minister himself... so, how come that minister still isn't aware of L.Malfoy's illegal actions???

Rivendell
01-11-07, 22:59
Minister is in utter denial about the Dark Lord's return, and Lucius Malfoy has a lot of money, and lots of which he's probably put into the Ministry itself therefore he's trusted. ... I think.

Apofiss
01-11-07, 23:14
Right... so Harry's word against minister's wouldn't work a bit and the only witness wasn't really able to.. uhm to witness. Sounds well shaped story then.

One more thingy; if Snape already was in OoF (was he, at first?) then how came he was trying to capture, both, Lupin and Sirius in the 3rd movie (old shack scene)?

VonCroy360
01-11-07, 23:16
I think the order stopped 'working' when Voldemort was defeated, and then it was reunited later - at the end of Goblet Dumbledore says that Lupin and some other people should be contacted about fighting Voldemort. So Snape must have thought that Sirius was the one to betray James and Lilly. :)

Rivendell
01-11-07, 23:38
Right... so Harry's word against minister's wouldn't work a bit

At the end of the Goblet of Fire book after the graveyard scene, Harry is mouthing off to the minister about these Death Eaters who are still at large - he mentions Malfoy, and the minister - terrified Harry's telling the truth and in utter disbelief and denial, puts it down to Harry probably being under the influence of a confusing charm. :tmb:

danitiwa
02-11-07, 06:14
Ok since I got zero feedback, I'll just not color my pic.

:pi:

Any more intriguing question's, Richard? :p

Rivendell
03-11-07, 20:44
Oh bollocks. I can't help but feel this is my fault. :whi: :\

Mugglenet:

Gambon 'camping it up'
Daniel Radcliffe will be on ITV's Parkison show at 10:45 tonight, and some excerpts from the interview have been published online. According to The Daily Mail, Daniel said the following about Dumbledore actor Michael Gambon:

"Well, he's been camping it up around the set like nobody's business. There was a scene when Michael had to come in and tell someone how much he loved knitting patterns. He just adored saying that."

However, please note that as the context of this quote is not given, we presume Gambon is merely "camping it up" off set and not actually on camera.

Mytly
03-11-07, 21:02
*Sigh* Yet another reason why Michael Gambon is a terrible Dumbledore. :rolleyes:

danitiwa
03-11-07, 21:05
Oh bollocks. I can't help but feel this is my fault. :whi: :\

Mugglenet:

Eeef, Chris I'll get you for that one!!! XD

But let's be happy it's not EMMA WATSON. Shall we? :) She doesn't even deserve the recognition.

xcrushterx
03-11-07, 21:09
But let's be happy it's not EMMA WATSON. Shall we? :) She doesn't even deserve the recognition.
And why is that? :)

danitiwa
03-11-07, 21:42
And why is that? :)

Because she has the talent of a teaspoon. ;) (Or that's just what I think.) I mean, she switches feet while standing in place, and other signs of horrible acting. Also she's began over acting which is a common teenage mistake. I know this because some of the best actors at our school do this a lot, they overdo it. And this isn't bragging, but I watch myself and make sure I don't do it.

Man, that post sounded know it all-ish... O.o

Ada the Mental
04-11-07, 09:04
Meh, I second/third/fourth/whatever everyone who ever said that Watson's acting is horrible.

'K, got the Greek DH yesterday. My mother's reading it now, but I breezed through it. It's not a bad translation, from what I saw- apart from a couple of lines I noticed that had swapped characters (Grrr!)- but it's too word for word and some of the lines sound so pompous and forced, it's hilarious. :vlol:

:D Yay! Another awesome commission by Makani (http://makani.deviantart.com/art/commish-for-sue-68967848)
That's one HOT Sirius! :cln:

EDIT:"Not in the film, though we did actually film a scene the other day, and I would like emphasise at this point that the script was written before this revelation and I don't think Steve Kloves had any prior knowledge, but there was a scene the other day when Michael had to come in and tell another character how much he loved knitting patterns! Which he just adored saying that."

danitiwa
04-11-07, 09:31
/\
:D Makani is truly a Genius.

Seen this one? :vlol:

http://makani.deviantart.com/art/andromeda-s-revenge-40421580

xcrushterx
04-11-07, 10:10
Because she has the talent of a teaspoon. ;) (Or that's just what I think.) I mean, she switches feet while standing in place, and other signs of horrible acting. Also she's began over acting which is a common teenage mistake. I know this because some of the best actors at our school do this a lot, they overdo it. And this isn't bragging, but I watch myself and make sure I don't do it.

Man, that post sounded know it all-ish... O.o
I always liked Emma. I think she plays Hermione very well, but hey, that's just me ;)

danitiwa
04-11-07, 10:19
I always liked Emma. I think she plays Hermione very well, but hey, that's just me ;)

She looks like Hermione, and captures Hermionie's personality, but she's overdramatic, and she doesn't seem to beleive herself when she acts. That's just me

Rivendell
04-11-07, 11:04

Lol!!! :D

Shark_Blade
04-11-07, 11:15
Oh...:( I really like Emma's acting. :)I mean yeah in HP5 she act horribly, but overall, I think she represents/act great as Hermione. Remember, she's supposed to be snoobish,know-it-all type of person, so of course it could be annoying to some people :p ;)

xcrushterx
04-11-07, 11:27
*Random moment below*

So yeah, I haven't mentioned this to anyone online (I thought I did, but only to my fellow HP obsessed friends at school :D)

Did anyone else like it when Ron walked out and left it just Harry and Hermione for a while? I thought it was great thing to do :D Simply because Harry had never really went on an adventure like that with only Hermione. He had loads with Ron, and (mostly) with both, but not her alone :D I especially loved the Godric's hollow part (the whole thing :D).

Another annoying thing with DH - why were Ron and Hermione not undesirables (most wanted, I think) like Harry? :confused:

Well, I guess I can see why with Ron (Thought he was home with Spattergroit (spelling? :p)), but Hermione never showed up for her Ministry hearing AND they knew she was with Harry (The Lovegood's (Ron was under the cloak, and I assume the only reason Hermione didn't go under either was because they already knew she was there):p) Maybe they did make the list after they all broke into Gringotts, but meh, they should have been when Harry was in Umbridge's office...

*random moment above*

VonCroy360
04-11-07, 11:31
I think it was pretty obvious why was Harry undesirable #1 - being the one to destroy Voldemort and all. Hermione and Ron were helping him, but I'm sure Voldemort wanted Harry more. :)

I also can't remember when was Harry adventuring with Ron alone, without Hermione. Yes, Ron is alone with Harry in the Chamber finale, but Hermione is with Harry in Prisoner finale. All other main parts of the books feature either three of them together or just Harry. :)

xcrushterx
04-11-07, 11:34
I think it was pretty obvious why was Harry undesirable #1 - being the one to destroy Voldemort and all. Hermione and Ron were helping him, but I'm sure Voldemort wanted Harry more. :)

I also can't remember when was Harry adventuring with Ron alone, without Hermione. Yes, Ron is alone with Harry in the Chamber finale, but Hermione is with Harry in Prisoner finale. All other main parts of the books feature either three of them together or just Harry. :)
No, I mean like Undesirable number 2 or 3 :p I'm sure he'd want them all xD

For the last part of the CoS Harry was adventuring alone with Ron (not just the CoS itself) because Hermione was Petrified. :p

VonCroy360
04-11-07, 11:38
For the last part of the CoS Harry was adventuring alone with Ron (not just the CoS itself) because Hermione was Petrified. :p

Umm... yeah, I know. She couldn't go with them because of being petrified and then Ron wasn't in Prisoner finale cause he was also lying in the hospital. I just said I think that after that their participation in Harry's tasks was pretty equal, so I don't see why you think Ron's departure in Hallows was making them more equal, when Harry and Hermione did previosuly went on an adventure alone.

xcrushterx
04-11-07, 11:49
Umm... yeah, I know. She couldn't go with them because of being petrified and then Ron wasn't in Prisoner finale cause he was also lying in the hospital. I just said I think that after that their participation in Harry's tasks was pretty equal, so I don't see why you think Ron's departure in Hallows was making them more equal, when Harry and Hermione did previosuly went on an adventure alone.
I dunno, I just do :)

Probably because the Prisoner finale was only one night, and the CoS (from Her petrification) was much larger than a night (Probably a few months)

:) It's not the number of times I'm thinking of :p. it's the length of time :p

Ada the Mental
04-11-07, 15:47
/\
:D Makani is truly a Genius.

That's definitely one of my favourites of hers! :D :vlol:

Poor Andromeda...would kinda suck to be her after DH,wouldn't it?
I wonder if she ever had anythingto do with Narcissa after the war.
Yes, I cantotally see it:
"Dromeda! Look,I'm so sorry your filthy mudbloo,too, and you are left to look after their half-werewolf/metamorphmagus freaky hybrid brat. Let's play lovely sisters,now!"

Apofiss
04-11-07, 17:38
At the end of the Goblet of Fire book after the graveyard scene, Harry is mouthing off to the minister about these Death Eaters who are still at large - he mentions Malfoy, and the minister - terrified Harry's telling the truth and in utter disbelief and denial, puts it down to Harry probably being under the influence of a confusing charm. :tmb:

So, in the movie, we must presume that these little details (described in the book) still exist... or not.

Any more intriguing question's, Richard? :p

I feel a presence of a hardcore HP expert, Dani :p

Bonez
04-11-07, 18:15

My names Richard too. :D

Annnnnyway.. Anyone see Daniel Radcliffes interview on Parkinson last night? I thought he seemed like a nice guy. His acting has improved aswell judging by that clip of the film he is in. :)

danitiwa
04-11-07, 19:55
That's definitely one of my favourites of hers! :D :vlol:

Poor Andromeda...would kinda suck to be her after DH,wouldn't it?
I wonder if she ever had anythingto do with Narcissa after the war.
Yes, I cantotally see it:
"Dromeda! Look,I'm so sorry your filthy mudblood husband died, our pshyco sister murdered your daugther, that monstrous loser she married died too and you are left to look after their half-werewolf/metamorphmagus freaky hybrid brat. Let's play lovely sisters,now!"
:vlol: Seriously tho, Addie's sitch really sucks. :p No husband and a were-grandchild to take care of.

Oh yes, babycakes. :cool:

danitiwa
04-11-07, 20:08
OMG people... (http://tardleytuna.deviantart.com/art/The-Deathstick-spoiler-60429330):vlol:

Earthcane
04-11-07, 20:11
WARNING: Possible Spoilers!!

I know this is off-topic ( on the current conversation at least), but I have
a burning question thats been eating at me for the past few days,
regarding Book 7. Wasthe Sword of Gryffindor that Neville used o kill Nagini
the real sword or the fake? Ie: which sword did Griphook steal back?

danitiwa
04-11-07, 20:14
/\
Woah. O.O That's a good question actually...

VonCroy360
04-11-07, 20:15
It's probably real, otherwise the horcrux in the snake wouldn't get destroyed.

I was just discussing this with my mom (who just read the book XD). I think Griphook got the real sword as well, but being a real Gryffindor, Neville was somehow able to pull the sword out of the hat (similar to what happened to Harry in Chamber).

danitiwa
04-11-07, 20:17
It's probably real, otherwise the horcrux in the snake wouldn't get destroyed.

I was just discussing this with my mom (who just read the book XD). I think Griphook got the real sword as well, but being a real Gryffindor, Neville was somehow able to pull the sword out of the hat (similar to what happened to Harry in Chamber).

Ahh yes. :tmb: It's interesting though, since Griphook took the sword, after the banke event, right?

Earthcane
04-11-07, 20:20
Yup. I thought only the real sword could kill Nagini, since Basilisk
venom was embeded on it.

Lavinder
04-11-07, 20:20
WARNING: Possible Spoilers!!

I know this is off-topic ( on the current conversation at least), but I have
a burning question thats been eating at me for the past few days,
regarding Book 7. Wasthe Sword of Gryffindor that Neville used o kill Nagini
the real sword or the fake? Ie: which sword did Griphook steal back?

It would have the be the real one, otherwise it would not have been able to destroy the horcrux in Nagini ;).

VonCroy360
04-11-07, 20:21
Ahh yes. :tmb: It's interesting though, since Griphook took the sword, after the banke event, right?

Yup.
I think there is some special magic connecting real Gryffindors and the sword, and that's why the sword came to Neville, wherever it was.
If I remember correctly, there was no sword when Fawkes brought the hat to Harry in Chamber, it appeared later.

Ada the Mental
04-11-07, 20:21

I suppose there must be a connection between the hat and the sword (Griphook must be quite annoyed!). If a true Gryff asks for it, it will show up, no matter where it is.

I wonder if the connection was just because they both belonged to Gryffindor, or if it could work for the other Houses/Founders. For example, if a true Ravenclaw put the hat on and asked for help, the diadem would show up or something.

danitiwa
04-11-07, 20:25
Imagine if Voldy chose to try and kill Neville instead of Harry... O.o That would have been soooo weird...

Earthcane
04-11-07, 20:28
I love neville- even after Voldy reveals that Harry is "dead",
he continues to fight to the last, in Harry's honour. In a way, he's more heroic than Harry could ever be ;)

Anywho, back to the sword. Yup, Ada the Mental, methinks youre onto
something there.

Mytly
05-11-07, 20:44
I suppose there must be a connection between the hat and the sword (Griphook must be quite annoyed!). If a true Gryff asks for it, it will show up, no matter where it is.

I wonder if the connection was just because they both belonged to Gryffindor, or if it could work for the other Houses/Founders. For example, if a true Ravenclaw put the hat on and asked for help, the diadem would show up or something.
No, I doubt it. I think the connection between the hat and the sword is because they both originally belonged to Godric Gryffindor, and he probably charmed them to be part of a set (where one goes, the other will follow, or something like that). So I don't think it would have worked for anyone who wasn't a Gryff.

Geck-o-Lizard
05-11-07, 22:03
*imagines a Ravenclaw using the hat and getting a diadem*

"What the blazes do I need this for?"

*flings diadem at basilisk*

Earthcane
05-11-07, 22:18
Lol! Damn Ravenclaws, they're too smart and stuck-up for brave Gryffindors.
Except for Luna ;)

Rivendell
07-11-07, 21:48
Regarding the OOTP DVD:

The Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will hit stores across the UK on November 12th. According to a new report, the DVD will contain many extras, notable among them is the "DVD-ROM content including timeline and 'link' to a sneak peak of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince."

Really felt the need to emphasise that last bit!

:yah: :jmp: :yah:

VonCroy360
07-11-07, 22:02
I'm quite sceptic about that one. Just seems to good to be true.

For all we know, that could be a link that won't work until they decide to show it to us, which might not happen until next fall.
Or they might give us a video which will feature footage of the few sets and maybe some short interviews, but none of the real movie scenes.

Rivendell
07-11-07, 22:04
Yeah - that's what I'm expecting. The've only just started to film, so it'll more than likely be some pre-production behind the scenes stuff - but still, it might show off some cool set pieces! :D

findme
07-11-07, 22:06
Argh not sure about that one. If it's true, then it'll probably some lame teaser that will give absolutely nothing away. It'll probably have scenes that are micro second long. :S

But I have a feeling that it might be a behind the scenes of it, which is quite reasonable and enjoyable rather than a really bad teaser trailer(something like showing voldemort's hand or summin).

If you know what I mean...

Rivendell
09-11-07, 14:08
CBBC Newsround has announced that Helen McCrory will play the part of Narcissa Malfoy in the sixth Potter flick, Half-Blood Prince. Apparently, WB has "been after" McCrory for some time.

You may remember that McCrory was originally cast as Bellatrix Lestrange in Order of the Phoenix but was unable to fulfill the role due to her pregnancy.

-Mugglnet.

Ahh ... Boob. :pi:
*Still wants Tracy Ann-Oberman to play NM*

Ada the Mental
09-11-07, 18:37
McCrory? As far as looks go, I could see her as Bellatrix...Andromeda? Sure! But Narcissa?
At least let's hope they'll stick to the blond hair.
Anyway, I've only seen her in Anna Karenina and Casanova (where's she has about...two scenes, if I remember correctly)...

Crappy sketch: Molly vs Bella (http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t96/AdatheGrey/NMDBEAAATCH-1.jpg)
'cause I was very bored in class the other day...
Molly looks like a man...:o

Earthcane
09-11-07, 18:41
Well, at least it's a lot better than Nicole Kidman playing Miss Coulter.
For me, I'd like to see someone that actually looks like Draco play his mother ;)

Ada the Mental
09-11-07, 18:51
Well, at least it's a lot better than Nicole Kidman playing Miss Coulter.
For me, I'd like to see someone that actually looks like Draco play his mother ;)
Don't remind me of that. :pi:

I can't wait to see who will play Riddle. And Greyback ( they'd better not cut him!) and Bill (if they bother keeping him in the movie).

Earthcane
09-11-07, 18:53
Greyback!!!!!!!!!!!

My fave character. He has to be in it tho, he catches the trio and takes
the to M Manor to collect his reward.

Ada the Mental
09-11-07, 18:59
Greyback!!!!!!!!!!!

My fave character. He has to be in it tho, he catches the trio and takes
the to M Manor to collect his reward.
I don't know...They could easily replace him with any random Death Eater.

So your favourite character is a twisted werewolf pedophile? :vlol:

Earthcane
09-11-07, 19:05
I don't know...They could easily replace him with any random Death Eater.

So your favourite character is a twisted werewolf pedophile? :vlol:
Yup, he sure is!!

But they have to put hm in, I'm rooting for an ultra-cool, CG
fight sequence between Lupin and Fenrir ;):D

Btw, How is Greyback a paedophile??

Ada the Mental
09-11-07, 19:11
Yup, he sure is!!

But they have to put hm in, I'm rooting for an ultra-cool, CG
fight sequence between Lupin and Fenrir ;):D
Lupin vs Greyback should have been in the books!

But I wouldn't want to see anything like that in the movies if the werewolves looked they way Lupin did in PoA. That was more of a skinny,nekkid wererat thing. I'll credit them with originality,though...

Btw, How is Greyback a paedophile??
He was a bit too fond of little kiddies...:p

daventry
10-11-07, 18:56
Do you guys think that the Harry Potter Movies will be remade into Special Edition DVD Movies some day.

Earthcane
10-11-07, 20:24
Do you guys think that the Harry Potter Movies will be remade into Special Edition DVD Movies some day.
You mean thike the LOTR EE dvd's ??
Yeah, that would Rock ;) I wonder what scenes got deleted?

Rivendell
11-11-07, 16:54
Question time:

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchtype=allproducts&searchstring=order%20of%20the%20phoenix&tduid=a4416b2faa70fd86898f9ca14c7ba87c

HP-OOTP DvD: Two disk set
HP-OOTP Blu Ray: ... . .... Two disk set as well?

:confused:

Edit: Never mind, it's not. :mad: (Not fair!)

BlackGrey
11-11-07, 16:57
Question time:

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchtype=allproducts&searchstring=order%20of%20the%20phoenix&tduid=a4416b2faa70fd86898f9ca14c7ba87c

HP-OOTP DvD: Two disk set
HP-OOTP Blu Ray: ... . .... Two disk set as well?

:confused:

Are you asking us to pick? I'd pick Blu-ray to be honest with you Chris. I was in Curry's watching the new Harry Potter on a HD screen with a DVD player and it looked awful. Then I went over to the PS3, they had on show and the trailer on the PS3 had was totally unique compared to the DVD that was on display :tmb:

Rivendell
11-11-07, 16:58
Nah it's Ok Rich. I just wondered if the Blu-ray version had two disks as well, but it only has one.
So buying that would be quality of picture replacing lots of extras.

I'm torn! I don't know which to go for!

findme
11-11-07, 16:59
i'd go for the Bluray since you have the TV to experience the full. But if the Blue ray doesnt have the DVD extras(no reason why it shouldn't) then get the DVD version. =]

Rivendell
11-11-07, 17:04
Gah! Look at the bloody amount of extra deleted scenes on the second disk!

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/2007/11/7/detailed-report-on-order-of-the-phoenix-dvd-deleted-scenes-and-extras

BlackGrey
11-11-07, 17:07
Gah! Look at the bloody amount of extra deleted scenes on the second disk!

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/2007/11/7/detailed-report-on-order-of-the-phoenix-dvd-deleted-scenes-and-extras

:eek: Maybe you should wait till they release a 2 Disc Blu ray version?

findme
11-11-07, 17:08
That would be loooong. And Chris is not a person who wants to wait when it comes to HP! ;)

Rivendell
11-11-07, 17:10
:eek: Maybe you should wait till they release a 2 Disc Blu ray version?

I just read on amazon that someone had put the same review (under different headings, DVD/HD/Blu ray) that the disks all had the same extras.

Perhaps the blu ray can fit it all on one disk? (They're big, after all).
I'll have a look in the shop tomorrow I think, check out the backs of both boxes.

BlackGrey
11-11-07, 17:13
I just read on amazon that someone had put the same review (under different headings, DVD/HD/Blu ray) that the disks all had the same extras.

Perhaps the blu ray can fit it all on one disk? (They're big, after all).
I'll have a look in the shop tomorrow I think, check out the backs of both boxes.

Blu-ray can hold up to 25GB on a single layer where as a DVD can only hold 9GB. So I imagine there is no need for the second disc :ton: Because 9 + 9 = 18... with 7GBs left :D

Rivendell
11-11-07, 17:15
Well here's hoping that's the reasoning behind it :D

Roll on tomorrow! :jmp:

danitiwa
11-11-07, 17:31
Regarding the OOTP DVD:

Really felt the need to emphasise that last bit!

:yah: :jmp: :yah:

*is horribly anxious* :jmp::cln:

Rivendell
11-11-07, 17:38
Apparently the HBP bits show some filming bits with Harry and Dumbledore - but it's not on the DVD.
It's on some website that you have to have the DVD in your drive to view.
But there is footage! :yah:

Rivendell
12-11-07, 10:49
Today's the day! :D

I'm off to get my copy in a couple of hours, can't wait! Anyone else getting it today?

Bonez
12-11-07, 11:00

I'm off to get my copy in a couple of hours, can't wait! Anyone else getting it today?

I can't afford it today. :(

I am getting Leona Lewis's new album today though. :p But yeah..

Hopefully that footage will get onto the net somehow without needing the dvd. :D

Angelus
12-11-07, 11:09

I completely forgot about it being released today and bought Charmed Season 8, so I have to wait until Friday. By the way, the 2 disc DVD is 9 in Morrisons. :)

Ampersand
12-11-07, 11:42
Got my copy this morning! Two-disc special edition, about 8 at Tesco. *pats it* :D

Rivendell
12-11-07, 13:39
Got the Blu Ray on in the end - it does have the same extras as the 2 disk DVD set, but they're all in HD.

Can't wait to see it again :jmp:

Earthcane
12-11-07, 13:40
Hey Guys, I've got an Urgent HP question.

In Deathly Hallows, we find out that the barman of the Hogs Head
is Aberfort, Dumbledores brother, right??

Well in OotP, why do you think he didnt try to warn Harry of Umbridge's spies
when he saw them set up the DA??

Rivendell
12-11-07, 13:43
Maybe because the spies where there!

"Hey Harry, don't do that - people are looking!"

*Spies assume he's in on it, so Dumbeldore is in on it, so Dumbledore IS setting up an army.. etc*

Earthcane
12-11-07, 13:46
Nope. thats not what I meant ;)

Why do you think he didnt try to get in contact with Harry after the DA meeting? I mean it was the first time he saw Dumbledore's Favourite and everything. You'd think he would have wanted to talk to him in private.
Its only when he chases off the Dementors with his Patronus in DH that the character really gets any life or importance.

Do you think JK had always had in mind that he was Dumbledores Brother??

Rivendell
12-11-07, 13:49
Well still probably for the same reasons.

The spies were there presumably on the Ministry's orders - they couldn't have known Harry was going to enter the pub with a load of students about to set up a secret society. They must have been there to spy on Aberforth because of his relation to Dumbledore. I imagine he was being watched for a while before and after the initial DA meeting.

:wve:

Earthcane
12-11-07, 13:51
Good point.

Just as an afterthought, has anyone got any pictures of him from,
the OoTP movie? I just want to see if theres any resemblance between him
and Michael Gambon ;)

Angelus
12-11-07, 18:03
I got the DVD! :jmp:

I was in ASDA with my mum and I was like "Oh, I'm skint... I'll have to wait until the weekend..." and she ended up buying it for me. :jmp:

danitiwa
12-11-07, 18:26
Well still probably for the same reasons.

The spies were there presumably on the Ministry's orders - they couldn't have known Harry was going to enter the pub with a load of students about to set up a secret society. They must have been there to spy on Aberforth because of his relation to Dumbledore. I imagine he was being watched for a while before and after the initial DA meeting.

Maybe he's just an old stewge? :B

Dingaling
12-11-07, 20:20
Got the Blu Ray on in the end - it does have the same extras as the 2 disk DVD set, but they're all in HD.

Can't wait to see it again :jmp:

Thanks for the confirmation on that Blu-Ray thing (I was reading this yesterday and meant to ask about it). Know how I'll be wanting to watch harry Potter on Christmas Day :D.

Mytly
14-11-07, 11:32
Hey Guys, I've got an Urgent HP question.

In Deathly Hallows, we find out that the barman of the Hogs Head
is Aberfort, Dumbledores brother, right??

Well in OotP, why do you think he didnt try to warn Harry of Umbridge's spies
when he saw them set up the DA??
The impression I got was that Aberforth had no idea that there was a spy there. After all, the person who told the ministry about the DA meeting in the Hog's Head was Willy Widdershins, who is presumably just a petty crook who used this information as a bargaining chip to get out of being thrown in Azkaban. I don't think he was there on the Ministry's orders, or that he went there with the intention to spy on anybody, whether Harry or Aberforth. He just got lucky he overheard such a useful bit of information.

Also, is the fact that Aberforth is Albus's brother public knowledge? Voldemort certainly didn't know it when he went to ask Albus for a job (in HBP), and it's unlikely that he knew it even in DH, or else he would have had Aberforth arrested a long time ago.

VonCroy360
14-11-07, 13:15
Click (http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_7090000/newsid_7093300/7093314.stm).

She actually is close to what I imagine Lavender would look like. Surprised me she's 20 as well, looks like 16 to me. :)

danitiwa
14-11-07, 14:34
Rupert, now you know what you're expected to do. XD

raiderfun
14-11-07, 14:36
Hello guys, :wve:
Yesterday, mummy bought me harry Potter the sixth book :D
Is it good ? :) Who read it ? I'm going to start reading it from today :)

Shark_Blade
14-11-07, 15:45
Take your time and tell us later what you think raiderfun :wve::hug:
Don't want to spoil the fun are we?

Sara Croft
14-11-07, 15:47
Its brilliant! :tmb:

Rivendell
14-11-07, 16:04

Half-Blood Prince is my favourite in the series :tmb:

daventry
14-11-07, 16:08
Who has the DVD of Order of the Pheonix, because i saw on another website that theres 15 minutes of Extra film on the Movie, what is it.

peffect
14-11-07, 18:14
^ I heard we'll have some Extra Bella sceans.

7Th Book Spoiler...

Finished the book but still not familiar with the end. The Epilogue to be correct.

What happened to Luna for exemple? I thought she'll be Nevil's wife...

Ada the Mental
14-11-07, 18:48
I haven't got the DVD yet. :( In fact I've no idea if it's been released here...

Lavender looks pretty much what I imagined her.

7Th Book Spoiler...

Finished the book but still not familiar with the end. The Epilogue to be correct.

Well Luna became something like a naturalist and married Newt Scamander's grandson, and Neville married Hannah Abbot who run the Leaky Cauldron. I think.

Geck-o-Lizard
14-11-07, 18:50

7Th Book Spoiler...

Check out this interview (http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/full_story/1156).

Rivendell
14-11-07, 19:05

So did I, but there aren't any :(

Angelus
14-11-07, 19:15
The film needed some more Tonks scenes. I think I might have missed the whole 2 and a half minutes she was featured.

Earthcane
14-11-07, 19:39
Wow, what a great read!!

I think i've finally decided to change my Favourite character from
Lupin to.......... Snape.
(*committing social suicide*)

WHY, I hear you cry out in anger nd fury? Well, for obvious reasons.
Snape is a real hero.

Ada the Mental
14-11-07, 19:50
Snape's a bit too mainstream these days, IMO. :ton:
Not that Lupin isn't, but whatever.

Earthcane
14-11-07, 20:55
The film needed some more Tonks scenes. I think I might have missed the whole 2 and a half minutes she was featured.
I thot the scene of Tonks having dinner with the gang at Grimmauld Place
was pretty faithful to the books, I mean when she was transforming her
facial features.

Its all the little faithful nods to the books he makes, that makes David Yates the perfect Harry Potter Director.

peffect
14-11-07, 21:14
Well Luna became something like a naturalist and married Newt Scamander's grandson, and Neville married Hannah Abbot who run the Leaky Cauldron. I think.

Oh, thanks!

Thanks for the link. :)
That enlightened some of the things I've been wondering about.

I still do have a question I can't forget about: How does one become a ghost?

@ Riv: You've got the DVD?

daventry
14-11-07, 21:50
What was the extra 17 minutes about Rivendell, do you know.

danitiwa
14-11-07, 21:57

Aah that explains so much, and answers the previous question about the sword, we had it right. :tmb:

J.K. Rowling: Yes, there is very definitely a link to the hat!
J.K. Rowling: Neville, most worthy Gryffindor, asked for help just as Harry did in the Chamber of secrets, and Gryffindor's sword was transported into Gryffindor's old hat -

Earthcane
14-11-07, 22:01
Hey guys. The role of Lavender Brown has been cast for Half-Blood Prince.
Her name is Jessie Cave and sterred in a BBC production called Summerhill.

Links:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_7090000/newsid_7093300/7093314.stm

http://www.mugglenet.com/

(Mugglenet rulez.... ;) )

Here's a pic:

http://i3.************/6t0zal5.jpg

Sorri if this has already been posted ;)

findme
14-11-07, 22:05
Shes too pretty. She shouldve been Ginny imo.

Rivendell
14-11-07, 22:23
What was the extra 17 minutes about Rivendell, do you know.

Yep, the link in this post should work :wve:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=2248986&postcount=2809

Rivendell
15-11-07, 23:04
Check out this avatar :D

*Link stopped working* :\ Never mind.

Earthcane
15-11-07, 23:08
Check out this avatar :D

*Link stopped working* :\ Never mind.
Cool avatar, but the pics are moving too fast! I cant read!
Anyway, I love David Thewlis as Lupin :D

Mister_Creazil
15-11-07, 23:09
Aha, funny avatar. Perverts roam in Hogwarts. :P

Rivendell
16-11-07, 00:10
Finally changed the avatar and signature :D

Geck-o-Lizard
16-11-07, 15:48
Bought the movie today, woop woop! Really shouldn't have - I'll probably need to skip lunch all next week - but it was worth it. :jmp:

daventry
16-11-07, 17:33
I have the DVD and i havent noticed a single Extra 17 min Scenes, its all the same as ive seen it from the Cinema.

Rivendell
16-11-07, 17:39
Have you got the Blu-ray disk?

If so, you have to press SQUARE to bring up an alternative menu, it lists all the extras. :wve:

daventry
16-11-07, 17:46
No just the one Disc DVD i rented from the Video Store.

Rivendell
16-11-07, 17:56
If there's no extras on the disk, I guess all the extras are on disk two.

Geck-o-Lizard
16-11-07, 18:38
Yeah the extras are only on disk 2...

peffect
16-11-07, 20:38
Any one seen The Half-Blood Prince Sneak Peek?
The video on Youtube is no longer available "due to a copyright claim by Warner Bros, BayTSP". :/

EDIT:
Found it!

vbawPz0vHec

danitiwa
16-11-07, 20:57
/\
Cool! :D

I just rented OotP on DVD, it's fun to rewatch, but I've got a sad announcment. :/ They cut the Dumbledore scene at the end, where he explains about the prophecy and etc. Because I saw that part at the Cinema, but it's cut out of the DVD. It's not even in the Special features.

Rivendell
16-11-07, 20:58
Wow, why did they do that?

It's in mine. One of the extras is a slightly extended bit of that scene. No more talking, just Harry walking into the room.

peffect
16-11-07, 20:59
I'm not too happy with the new Quidditch outfits but at least, there's Quidditch! It misses me so much.

EDIT: My DVD also has that scene.

danitiwa
16-11-07, 21:01
Wow, why did they do that?

It's in mine. One of the extras is a slightly extended bit of that scene. No more talking, just Harry walking into the room.

Hm, maybe the disk was scratched? :/ But anyways, that really sucks. I love Dolores Umbridge every time I see the movie. :cln:

And did you see the tour of the studio with Tonks? :D I think I died laughing when she starts playing the guitar. :vlol:

Geck-o-Lizard
16-11-07, 21:29
She seriously seems like a real-life Tonks. I loved that wee movie. :D

Also died laughing at the extra scene showing Trelawney eating apple pie during Umbridge's speech. :vlol: :vlol:

danitiwa
16-11-07, 22:24
She seriously seems like a real-life Tonks. I loved that wee movie. :D

Also died laughing at the extra scene showing Trelawney eating apple pie during Umbridge's speech. :vlol: :vlol:

Oh yeah, when she dips her hands in the drink. :vlol: Emma Thompson is one of the few acting einsteins. :D

And yes, I adore Nat as Tonks. ^_^ I really think they picked the one. And David is my exacty picture of Lupin, and he's smexy... On top of being a werewolf and a horribly misunderstood character. :cln:

Dakaruch
16-11-07, 22:47
yay i finally got the Portuguese version of HP and the Deathly Hallows :jmp:
the book is great so far, great story :tmb:

Angelus
16-11-07, 22:54
I still haven't watched the DVD, and I've had it since Monday! I will definitely watch it tomorrow. :) Are the special features on disc 2 any good?

Earthcane
16-11-07, 23:03
I'm not too happy with the new Quidditch outfits but at least, there's Quidditch! It misses me so much.

EDIT: My DVD also has that scene.
I dont like the whole American football theme, but the new Slytherin robes look
awesome!!

Geck-o-Lizard
16-11-07, 23:06
I still haven't watched the DVD, and I've had it since Monday! I will definitely watch it tomorrow. :) Are the special features on disc 2 any good?

Most of them are pretty crap, but Prof. Trelawney/Emma Thompson's apple pie scene is absolutely hilarious.

Angelus
16-11-07, 23:12
Most of them are pretty crap, but Prof. Trelawney/Emma Thompson's apple pie scene is absolutely hilarious.

So there are some deleted scenes? Cool. :jmp: I might watch this later, actually.

Ada the Mental
16-11-07, 23:17
Peffect, thanks for posting that video! the DVD is not out here yet.:mad:

The new Quidditch robes suck! Well, at least it's in...

And, please, someone tell me that the whole Snape's worst memory is in the deleted scenes!

And yes, I adore Nat as Tonks. ^_^ I really think they picked the one. And David is my exacty picture of Lupin, and he's smexy... On top of being a werewolf and a horribly misunderstood character. :cln:
LOL. He looks nothing like I imagined Lupin to look like. But his acting is quite spot-on, so no complaints there.

danitiwa
16-11-07, 23:20

Ditto, and the Tonks one is pretty good IMO. Fun to see the Gringots door work backstage, I found it so amazing that they actually crafted that thing.

Earthcane
16-11-07, 23:29
Peffect, thanks for posting that video! the DVD is not out here yet.:mad:

The new Quidditch robes suck! Well, at least it's in...

And, please, someone tell me that the whole Snape's worst memory is in the deleted scenes!

LOL. He looks nothing like I imagined Lupin to look like. But his acting is quite spot-on, so no complaints there.
David Thewlis is not how I pictured Lupin at all, but he is one hell of an
excellent actor. So much so that he is how I picture Clockwork without his mask :D

Just while I'm here, has the part of Scrimgeour been casted yet?
Anyone got any good ideas for possible actors? ;)

Rivendell
16-11-07, 23:31
There was a rumor that Scrimgeour was being played by Bill Nighy, but I don't think it was true.

Ada the Mental
16-11-07, 23:34
Take a look at this:http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=213122
Apparently the casting is complete, but no word about Scrimgeour, or Greyback, or Bill or even Arthur. :pi:
I suppose the only listed the main parts?

BTW,Riv, your avatar is too awesome! I'm stealing it! :D

Earthcane
16-11-07, 23:35
There was a rumor that Scrimgeour was being played by Bill Nighy, but I don't think it was true.
I hope not!! How many Fantasies does he have to be in?
( Underworld, PotC, etc.)
But if he were to be in a HP movie, he would be great as Xenophilius ;):D

@ Ada the Mental , I thot Ian McShane was playing Greyback??????

Rivendell
16-11-07, 23:37
he would be great as Xenophilius ;):D

Yes! :jmp: I wanted him as Voldemort, I really did. I just don't like Ralph F's portrayal, his head is too round.

Though.. I guess that's not really his fault.

Earthcane
16-11-07, 23:41
Yes! :jmp: I wanted him as Voldemort, I really did. I just don't like Ralph F's portrayal, his head is too round.

Fiennes sucks as Voldy, not even close!

Here's my perfect Voldemort:

http://i10.************/6ykrfqc.jpg

Tobin Bell.......

peffect
16-11-07, 23:42
I see nobody cares about little Voldy...

Earthcane
16-11-07, 23:44
Orphan Riddle, you mean?

Ada the Mental
16-11-07, 23:46

http://i10.************/6ykrfqc.jpg

Tobin Bell.......
^ Jigsawmort:Hello, Harry.I want to play a game.

Angelus
16-11-07, 23:47
Fiennes sucks as Voldy, not even close!

[IMG]

Tobin Bell.......

He looks like Jasper Carrot!

peffect
16-11-07, 23:47
Orphan Riddle, you mean?

Yesh! I'm dying to see his face.
And after, they're taking that guy from The Chamber of Secrets?

@ Ada the Mental: Lmao!

Earthcane
16-11-07, 23:57
http://i15.************/6qdh0cp.jpg

I can see what Bella sees in him....

Geck-o-Lizard
17-11-07, 01:01

No luck there. Not even a snippet. http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/8903/disappointeduk6.gif

Rivendell
17-11-07, 10:59

It was announced yesterday:

Warner Bros. announced today that "nine-year-old Hero Fiennes Tiffin is playing the role of the young Tom Riddle at age 11, while 16-year-old Frank Dillane is playing the teenage Riddle, who is already on the path to becoming the evil Lord Voldemort."

I assume 'Hero' is a relative of Ralph, so it'd figure. :wve:

peffect
17-11-07, 20:13
^ Ahein! Thanks.

I have a question, for those who have played the games (the 3 first ones).
When ingame and I press Escape, there's a sort of inventory menu that shows up going with a very nice song.
Does anyone know this song's title?
I'm talking about the PC version, BTW.

danitiwa
17-11-07, 20:18
ttp://i15.************/6qdh0cp.jpg

I can see what Bella sees in him....

*drools* Oh yes... O.O =3

He's too... Emm Squidy to play Voldy! :vlol: Nah, It's just.. red hair chris.. And he's too old, Voldy is actually around Bella's/Hagrid/Harry's Parents' etc. Age, so eeh... I'm fine with Ralph, he makes voldy Smexy even though he's bald. :D

But no doubt he'd be an awesome Xeno.

Rivendell
17-11-07, 21:14
Nahhh, he's loads older than Harry's parents! They weren't in school together. :p He's 60 something, which is accurate.

Tom Riddle was 16 when Moaning Murtle died 50 years ago (book 2) so Voldemort is actually around 70 in DH, which is 5 years later.

Geck-o-Lizard
17-11-07, 21:16
Hagrid & Voldie were at Hogwarts 50 years before Harry... Bella, Snape & Harry's parents were at Hogwarts about 20 years before Harry. So Voldemort is supposed to be around 60 years old.

Bonez
17-11-07, 21:17
I don't understand how the books are set in the 90s though? Why aren't they present day?

Geck-o-Lizard
17-11-07, 21:18
Because book 1 was written in 1997...

danitiwa
17-11-07, 21:18
Hagrid & Voldie were at Hogwarts 50 years before Harry... Bella, Snape & Harry's parents were at Hogwarts about 20 years before Harry. So Voldemort is supposed to be around 60 years old.

Aah right, I'm too lazy to do the math lol. =3

Rivendell
17-11-07, 21:19
Aah right, I'm too lazy to do the math lol. =3

Here, I've done it for you. :ton:

Tom Riddle was 16 when Moaning Murtle died 50 years ago (book 2) so Voldemort is actually around 70 in DH, which is 5 years later.

Ada the Mental
17-11-07, 21:26
Nor was Bella with Harry's parent's and Co (who were born in 1960 ) at Hogwarts, as she was born in 1951 according to this (http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizards/blackfamilytree.html). Which also means that she probably never saw Hot!Riddle but Mr. Snakeface.

danitiwa
17-11-07, 21:31
/\
She's attracted to power! Anything wrong with that? :p I for one, think it's really touching she has such a passionate approach to some one as old and ugly as Voldy, not like a playboy bunny, who's just doing it to be famous, but srsly! :pi: No one understands Bella!!!

Here, I've done it for you. :ton:

I sawz, Chris, I sawz. :p

Geck-o-Lizard
17-11-07, 21:52
Nor was Bella with Harry's parent's and Co (who were born in 1960 ) at Hogwarts, as she was born in 1951 according to this (http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizards/blackfamilytree.html). Which also means that she probably never saw Hot!Riddle but Mr. Snakeface.

Oooh I never knew that. For some reason I thought she was in Lucius' year. Thanks!

Ada the Mental
17-11-07, 21:58
I thought she was at least in her seventh year by the time the Marauders hit Hogwarts , because Sirius in GoF was listing the Death Eaters Snape used to hangout with at school and he mentioned the Lestranges as a married couple.
Gotta love JK's Mad MaThz Skillz!!! :p

danitiwa
17-11-07, 22:08
Oh yeah I forgot her hoozbaand. :p What kind of HP fan AM I?! :(

A n00by one! I haven't even memorized the page Dumbledore dies! :p

Earthcane
17-11-07, 23:45
But when he steps out of the Cauldron in the Graveyard, he is described as
being youthful, but icy pale and sinister.
Does that mean that making multiple Horcruxes means you never age?
(A bit Like Elves in LOTR??)

Angelus
17-11-07, 23:49
Oh yeah I forgot her hoozbaand. :p What kind of HP fan AM I?! :(

A n00by one! I haven't even memorized the page Dumbledore dies! :p

Call yourself a Harry Potter fan!? :p

I still haven't watched OotP... I'm going to have a lazy Sunday tomorrow and watch it, along with the special features.

danitiwa
17-11-07, 23:56
Call yourself a Harry Potter fan!? :p

I still haven't watched OotP... I'm going to have a lazy Sunday tomorrow and watch it, along with the special features.

*cries* :p

*glares at Chris and Ada*

Ada the Mental
18-11-07, 18:36
*cries* :p

*glares at Chris and Ada*

Hey! Don't glare at me! I haven't memorized any pages! Only what happens in each chapter...

Check this (http://gallery.the-leaky-cauldron.org/picture/191651) out! A sketch JKR made, it's being auctioned with that copy of "The Tales of Beedle the Bard"!
Dumbledore exactly how I picture him! :D

http://gallery.the-leaky-cauldron.org/picture/191651

Earthcane
18-11-07, 18:43
Hey! Don't glare at me! I haven't memorized any pages! Only what happens in each chapter...

Check this (http://gallery.the-leaky-cauldron.org/picture/191651) out! A sketch JKR made, it's being auctioned with that copy of "The Tales of Beedle the Bard"!
Dumbledore exactly how I picture him! :D

http://gallery.the-leaky-cauldron.org/picture/191651
Wow, tahts so cool! But i did know she could draw, tho :p
Apparently she had some really cool sketch done for the wall-doorway into
Diagon Alley, but Columbus' design team had already finished the CG work for it.

Hah, Hagrid, lol!

peffect
18-11-07, 19:00
The news of Dumbledore being gay is making a beautiful fuss here where I live. I'm starting to not like it.

Earthcane
18-11-07, 19:06
The news of Dumbledore being gay is making a beautiful fuss here where I live. I'm starting to not like it.
It still changes nothing! I dunno why its such a big deal.

peffect
18-11-07, 19:17
It still changes nothing! I dunno why its such a big deal.

Neither do I. But hearing the news circulating like one of those scandalous stars stories does not please me.
And I wonder why JKR felt the need to reveal such unimportant news since the story's over.
Or, at least, she could mention it in the books.
I really don't know what she was thinking about when she said that.
May be her last "**** you" to religion; Or to make us go back to count how many times Dumbledore touched Harry's shoulders

Earthcane
18-11-07, 19:23
If you had a question to ask JKR, peffect, what would it be??

peffect
18-11-07, 19:34
If you had a question to ask JKR, peffect, what would it be??

I'd have a ~bunch~ of questions to ask!!!

Earthcane
18-11-07, 19:38
I thot the 'Song played for Dumbledore' was a really good question.

I would ask her this:

When Muggle children are in Primary school (that's elementary school for you yanks :o ),
learning their 1-2-3's and their A-B-C's, what do wizarding children do??

peffect
18-11-07, 19:47
I thot the 'Song played for Dumbledore' was a really good question.

I would ask her this:

When Muggle children are in Primary school (that's elementary school for you yanks :o ),

The "Dumbledore song" would be a complain more than a question, since there would be any valuable answer to it.
I'm just trying to keep the idea that she wanted some more media around her after the story is over, away from my mind. Because, if it's the case, then she really knew how to do it.

Anyway, concerning your question, I'd say they would be doing, the same? We know that Hogwarts is a wizardery and witchcraft school; But that doesn't mean there isn't other schools...

Just tell me one thing, how do one become a ghost?

Earthcane
18-11-07, 19:49
Ah, the ghost question. You dont just become a ghost, you choose to be,
according to nearly headless nick.

VonCroy360
18-11-07, 19:50
I guess wizard kids are taught the same stuff, only at home. They do need to know how to count and read, don't they? :)

peffect
18-11-07, 19:53
Ah, the ghost question. You dont just become a ghost, you choose to be,
according to nearly headless nick.
Exactly.
But how does one choose to be a ghost, I mean, after someone's death, I want to imagine how they would be given the chance between "dying" and becoming a ghost.
And I wonder why don't all those who die choose to become ghosts instead of vanishing completely from life.

Earthcane
18-11-07, 20:01
Exactly.
But how does one choose to be a ghost, I mean, after someone's death, I want to imagine how they would be given the chance between "dying" and becoming a ghost.
And I wonder why don't all those who die choose to become ghosts instead of vanishing completely from life.
Harry went to a Matrix-esque Kings Cross, because it was of significane to his
life- a symbol of transition from boyhood to manhood, from safety to danger, from
the world of the impossible to the magical world of the possible.

But that was just harry's purgatory, I think JKR meant that everybody goes somewhere different when they die, and get to choose.
I dont know how they get to choose, which makes the book intimately flawed.

peffect
18-11-07, 20:17
I understood that.
But the "Matrixesque King's Cross" was only in Harry's head, what makes that also kind of blurry in my mind.

Geck-o-Lizard
18-11-07, 20:20
But when he steps out of the Cauldron in the Graveyard, he is described as being youthful, but icy pale and sinister.

He didn't have a snake-nose and red eyes in his original body though.

Bonez
18-11-07, 20:20
Because book 1 was written in 1997...

But I'm sure I read somewhere that book 1 was set in 1991 or something like that.

Earthcane
18-11-07, 20:30
He didn't have a snake-nose and red eyes in his original body though.

Yeah, but that's not my point. I mean if you split your soul up so much, is it
impossible to age?

Anywho:

understood that.
But the "Matrixesque King's Cross" was only in Harry's head, what makes that also kind of blurry in my mind.

Yeah, I think JKR just leaves it up to us to decide for ourselves.

Geck-o-Lizard
18-11-07, 20:32
But I'm sure I read somewhere that book 1 was set in 1991 or something like that.

Well, JKR says the idea for HP came to her in 1990, and she had everything planned before she started writing it, so I'm guessing she was refining the planning in 1991 and decided to make Harry's life start at the same time. By the time the book got published, she'd have already worked out most of the timeline, and it'd be easier to keep the books set in the early 90's than to update all the dates.

Yeah, but that's not my point. I mean if you split your soul up so much, is it impossible to age?

My point was that he seemed to have gotten an entirely new body that didn't have anything to do with his original one. So his age wouldn't have mattered.

Mytly
19-11-07, 10:19
Wizarding kids are mostly home-schooled - for example, Molly taught all her kids at home - as there is no such thing as a Wizarding primary school, and sending wizard kids to Muggle schools could be dangerous. Only Muggleborns and those few halfbloods like Harry who are brought up by Muggles are sent to Muggle primary schools.

Exactly.
Read Harry's discussion with Nearly-Headless Nick at the end of OotP - I think he implies that only people who are afraid so of death that they don't want to move on to the afterlife choose to become ghosts. Once you are a ghost, you can never 'move on' - that is never die at all. So most people would probably rather move on to the afterlife rather than become ghosts.

It's set in 1991-92. But that's seems to be an after-the-fact analysis. The only two actual dates given in the first six books are 1492, the year of Nearly-Headless Nick's death (which sets his 500th Deathday Party in 1992), and 1945, the year of Grindelwald's defeat (which is meant to parallel the end of WWII). DH added one more date to these two: 1960, the year Harry's parents were born. On the basis of these dates, fans have calculated extensive dates for all the events mentioned in canon, as well as birthdates. JKR doesn't really seem to have thought things out in such detail, but she has endorsed the fans' interpretation.

IMO, it's quite pointless to wonder about the real-world years the books are set in, as they do not actually relate to any real-world happenings. For example, going by the "official" timeline, Tom Riddle was in Hogwarts throughout World War II - when children were evacuated from London. Yet, it is clearly stated in CoS and HBP that Riddle returned to his orphanage in London during the summer vacations. So whether PS/SS was set in 1991, 1997, 2001 or whatever year you happened to read it in, really makes no difference to the story at all.

pEhouse
19-11-07, 10:26
Actually, we can exactly tell when the storyline of Harry Potter takes place, because in the seventh book it says that his parents died 31 October 1981, which means that Harry was born in 1980.

Necromanser
19-11-07, 11:10
I can say one thing for sure the 4th book was set when or after ps one was invented

Mytly
19-11-07, 16:50
I can say one thing for sure the 4th book was set when or after ps one was invented
Actually, no - and that proves my point that JK Rowling hasn't really taken real-world occurrences into account when writing the series. According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation), the PS1 was launched in December 1994 (that too in Japan - it didn't reach Europe until September 1995), yet Dudley supposedly destroys his PlayStation in the summer of 1994 in Goblet of Fire. Rowling should really do her research better. ;)

Lavinder
26-11-07, 21:13
Here's two for Danitiwa :

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/lavinder/bonhambellygoff2_468x715.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/lavinder/bonhambellygoff1_468x981.jpg

Rivendell
26-11-07, 22:38
So they'll be filming the scene at Spinner's End last of all, I take it :D

Rivendell
28-11-07, 10:00
To all you FF7 fans :D

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4108/snapekillsdumbledoreaq0.gif

Rivendell
02-12-07, 14:22
As we mentioned previously, as part of its "Countdown to 25 Days of Christmas," ABC Family is showing the first three Harry Potter films this weekend, concluding with Prisoner of Azkaban tomorrow night at 6 p.m. ET.

Additionally, at select parts during the broadcast, certain never-before-seen footage from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is being aired. If anybody can capture these videos, please send them in!

Okay, this is starting to annoy me now. Why the hell wasn't it on the DVD release? :confused:

Angelus
02-12-07, 14:29
Okay, this is starting to annoy me now. Why the hell wasn't it on the DVD release? :confused:

Because when Deathly Hallows is released, there will be a new version of every film on DVD with added footage and extra bonus material on it.

That's what usually happens, anyway.

Rivendell
03-12-07, 13:29
You're probably right.

Has anyone seen the box for the OOTP "Deluxe Edition"? :yik:

Hologram of the trio facing Voldemort and his crew when you move your head left/right.
Wish I'd bought that one now! :p

TombRaiderLover
03-12-07, 21:09
You're probably right.

Hologram of the trio facing Voldemort and his crew when you move your head left/right.
The slipcase with the shiny hologram? Got it for Christmas. :p

Geck-o-Lizard
03-12-07, 21:53
You're probably right.

You mean like those plastic hologram cards you used to get inside boxes of cereal?

I got the 2-disk special edition and it has a shiny fresnel-effect sleeve... it's funky but no hologram.

danitiwa
07-12-07, 07:23
Man, this thread has sunk lately. O_O

Well, I have some pigmy puffs for you guys, see if that will get this place up and running again.
http://danitiwa.deviantart.com/art/Pigmy-love-71549192

Here's another adorable one, not by me.

http://darksideup.deviantart.com/art/HBP-Pygmy-Puff-29703010?q=by%3Adarksideup&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps

Angelus
07-12-07, 09:57
You mean like those plastic hologram cards you used to get inside boxes of cereal?

I got the 2-disk special edition and it has a shiny fresnel-effect sleeve... it's funky but no hologram.

Same here. it's designed to look like the orbs in the Mystery department of the Ministry.

danitiwa
07-12-07, 16:30
Same here. it's designed to look like the orbs in the Mystery department of the Ministry.

If I could chose a way to describe the MOM underground building, it would be: A giant toilet. :pi:

Rivendell
13-12-07, 23:56
Amazon bought the copy of JKR's Beedle the Bard for nearl 2m :yik:

PICTURES! :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_6059972_2?ie=UTF8&docId=1000179911&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-0&pf_rd_r=1ZMAK0V8HHJ5YN37Z22A&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=340725301&pf_rd_i=507846

I want one. :(

Rivendell
14-12-07, 11:26
A still from Half-Blood Prince! :jmp:
http://media.mugglenet.com/i//hbpstill1.jpg

First screens of TR8, first screens of HP6 - today is a good day!

Necromanser
14-12-07, 11:30
Amazon bought the copy of JKR's Beedle the Bard for nearl 2m :yik:

PICTURES! :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_6059972_2?ie=UTF8&docId=1000179911&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-0&pf_rd_r=1ZMAK0V8HHJ5YN37Z22A&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=340725301&pf_rd_i=507846

I want one. :(
Lets hope there will be a mass produced copy.

Rivendell
15-12-07, 23:28
More on Beedle the Bard (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_6057542_1/002-8000909-9561643?ie=UTF8&docId=1000180871&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1Z8ENXBGMN70YT1YXJQ4&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=341186801&pf_rd_i=1000179911#review1)
:D

I love the way this is written!
Finally, she confronts him, suggesting that she would trust his lovely words if only she thought he "had a heart." [Spoiler alert!] Smiling (and still proud), the warlock leads the young maid to the dungeon, where he reveals a magic "crystal casket," in which lies his own "beating heart." We did warn you that this was going to be a dark tale, right?

The witch is horrified at the sight of the heart, which has turned shrunken and hairy in its exile from the body, and she begs the warlock to "put it back." Because he knows it would further endear him to her, the warlock "slices open" his chest with his wand and places the "hairy heart" within. Thrilled that the warlock may now feel love, the young witch embraces him (surprising, since we're clearly yelling "Get away from him!" by now), and the horrible heart is "pierced" by the beauty of her skin and the scent of her hair.

:vlol:

PoetOfTheLife
16-12-07, 07:54
Ow,i didn't see this thread:mad: I love HP.I read all books of HP.I love Lupin!

peffect
26-12-07, 16:33
Has anyonoe heard about an 8th HP book?!

The news is put in some sites over the net...
I hope they're not talking about HP Encyclopedia.

Geck-o-Lizard
26-12-07, 16:34
She's not writing an 8th. The only way an 8th book will come out will be if someone else writes it and gets permission to publish it, which I think would be extremely unlikely. I'm pretty sure any reference to an 8th book is meaning the Encyclopaedia.

Quasimodo
26-12-07, 17:25
Has anyonoe heard about an 8th HP book?!

The news is put in some sites over the net...
I hope they're not talking about HP Encyclopedia.

That would be great if it were true; but only if there is an entirely new evil/adversary and protagonist. Or maybe Rowling could pull a Lucas and have it set a 1000 years in the past :p

VonCroy360
26-12-07, 17:32
JK said that is highly unlikey, but if she does decide to write a new book about the world, Harry, Ron and Hermione won't be the main characters. :)

Rivendell
30-12-07, 20:00
Did anyone watch the Year in the life of JK Rowling tonight?
I thought it was great, she's a very interesting person :)

remote91
30-12-07, 20:05
Did anyone watch the Year in the life of JK Rowling tonight?
I thought it was great, she's a very interesting person :)
I did, she seemed like such a nice, normal lady :D It was touching when she went back to her old apartment.

Bonez
30-12-07, 20:06
Very interesting. I liked seeing how she worked and stuff like that. :)

TombRaiderLover
30-12-07, 20:08
I got the 2-disc special edition of Order of the Phoenix for Christmas. :)

Rivendell
30-12-07, 20:08
I did, she seemed like such a nice, normal lady :D It was touching when she went back to her old apartment.

That was mad, I completely didn't expect her to start crying like that! :D

Dingaling
30-12-07, 20:09
I watched it as well (didn't plan to either, was first watching The Simpsons then the adverts came on and I flicked over and started to get engrossed).

Was really quite a good little documentary. Especially the bit where she finishes typing up the 7th book. It was interesting to see how she reacted and finally putting that last character into the story. It's really got to be something after 17 years and then "that's it!".

I loved looking at her little Potter and Weasley family chart :D. She had to know what happened to her characters and how they got on and everything, that was cute. And then James starts to mention things about an 8th book and she's sitting there... sitting... sitting... "No, stop it!". You could just tell things were a-stirring in her head at that moment lol.

I rather enjoyed it :).

I got OotP for Christmas. Rather enjoyed it as well. I liked how there was more focus on the teachers again :). More screen time for Snape though lol.

Bonez
30-12-07, 20:11
That was mad, I completely didn't expect her to start crying like that! :D

Ditto.

I thought she might see it as a Happy Place where her life turned around.

But it must bring memories of her struggles. =/

Rivendell
30-12-07, 20:11
Snape should definitely have more screentime! He was so good in Ootp, the Occlumency scenes were fantastic. He's incredibly good at being Snape :tmb:

Bonez
30-12-07, 20:14
What name do you think she saw in the church book?

I rekon it was Bellatrix. :p

Geck-o-Lizard
30-12-07, 20:21
Man, I never heard about this til it was over. Wonder if it'll go up on Youtube?

VonCroy360
30-12-07, 20:22
Man, I never heard about this til it was over. Wonder if it'll go up on Youtube?

MuggleNet said they'll have it online soon. Can't wait. :)

Rivendell
30-12-07, 20:23

I think it's on Itv2 (Or is it ITV3 on freeview?) tomorrow afternoon. :wve:

Geck-o-Lizard
30-12-07, 20:33
Thanks. I'll try and catch it. :jmp:

Rivendell
31-12-07, 08:53
It's on this website too:
http://www.tvcatchup.com/watch/14856/

Geck-o-Lizard
31-12-07, 14:35
Ahh I enjoyed that. :D Thanks for the link Riv :wve:

Necromanser
31-12-07, 14:37
It's on this website too:
http://www.tvcatchup.com/watch/14856/

Thanks riv.

Rivendell
31-12-07, 17:35
Oh my god :o

Geck-o-Lizard
31-12-07, 17:36
Removed. Inappropriate, you should know that. :rolleyes:

Necromanser
31-12-07, 17:37
What was removed?

remote91
31-12-07, 17:38
Removed. Inappropriate, you should know that. :rolleyes:
Sorry, I did think it was pushing it a little :(

Rivendell
31-12-07, 17:40
The Dumbledore song itself was funny, but the rest was just a bit too much :eek:

Dumble-dumble-dore, Dumble-dore, Dumble-dumble-dore :whi:

remote91
31-12-07, 17:45
Dumble-dumble-dore, Dumble-dore, Dumble-dumble-dore :whi:
Yeah the song itself made me post it but Ron + Harry with the..

enough said.

touchthesky
31-12-07, 20:40
I hope that the next movie is better than the last.

After how good GOF was..I left the cinema dissapointed (both times) after OOTP.

:/

Angelus
31-12-07, 22:56
Is OotP any good for the 360? I downloaded the demo today and it was okay, but I couldn't play enough of the game to judge whether to buy it or not.

Rivendell
31-12-07, 22:57
I imagine it'll be better than the Wii version, and the Wii version was fantastic :tmb:

RAID
31-12-07, 23:01
Check these out: French & Saunders - Harry Potter spoof

Part 1
9onI92OxBHY

Part 2
zjWGgWnd6Ec

Part 3
mIapf3G-eSM

Part 4
0xodve30qfA

Lara's home
31-12-07, 23:05
Is OotP any good for the 360? I downloaded the demo today and it was okay, but I couldn't play enough of the game to judge whether to buy it or not.

Not really. :p
All we do is finding DA members, basically. :/
Graphics aint great, and controls are mediocre imo.

Rivendell
31-12-07, 23:07
But it's a fully interactive Hogwarts - which is worth the buy. Get it cheap somewhere if you doubt it. :)

Angelus
31-12-07, 23:10
Yeah, I might do.

Thanks guys. :)

danitiwa
06-01-08, 18:52
Hey fellow HP fans, I just purchased the HPGOF game, (It was a good price.) and I must admit: I'm fairly disappointed. The last few games were so much better! What the heck happened? First, they expect you to know all the controls by heart without any help, and there's barely anything in the the "options" panell.

Also there's no fun running through Hogwarts? You have to automatically pick a level? Then the acting is just embarrassing, especially the voice of Hermionie. I thought it couldn't get any worse than Emma, I was wrong. :/

The only upside IMO was that the graphics were good.

Carbonek_0051
06-01-08, 18:55
Hey fellow HP fans, I just purchased the HPGOF game, (It was a good price.) and I must admit: I'm fairly disappointed. The last few games were so much better! What the heck happened? First, they expect you to know all the controls by heart without any help, and there's barely anything in the the "options" panell.

Also there's no fun running through Hogwarts? You have to automatically pick a level? Then the acting is just embarrassing, especially the voice of Hermionie. I thought it couldn't get any worse than Emma, I was wrong. :/

The only upside IMO was that the graphics were good.

Well IMO HP:GoF was the worst book, movie, & game....

All the others were fantastic....

Ada the Mental
06-01-08, 19:07
I thought the GoF game sucked so much I never even bothered finishing it.
All the things that made the games fun ( free Hogwarts-roaming for example) were gone. :p

And the OotP seems fantastic but I can't play it because my brother messed up our Playstation again...*cries*

touchthesky
06-01-08, 19:37
I saw the Jkrowling thing finally the other day.
It made me wanna write a book and become a millionaire...

danitiwa
06-01-08, 19:55
@Ada: I just put it back on my shelf and said... What a waste of pocketmoney. :p

Well, now I know it's crap at least.

touchthesky
06-01-08, 19:59
The OOTP game was pretty shoddy imo..I still think the first game is the best game in terms of playing..obviously graphics and stuff have got better.

I'm an old schooler though, and LOVE Harry Potter trivial persuite.

danitiwa
06-01-08, 20:22
The OOTP game was pretty shoddy imo..I still think the first game is the best game in terms of playing..obviously graphics and stuff have got better.

I'm an old schooler though, and LOVE Harry Potter trivial persuite.

I think my fave was the 2nd one. :wve:

Geck-o-Lizard
06-01-08, 20:48
I enjoyed PS the most. It was loads of fun. Never played COS, got through most of POA, never played GOF, and played about two hours of OOTP before giving it up as embarrassingly crap. Plus a little part of me died when I finally found Snape, and he looked exactly like Alan Rickman but sounded nothing like him...

Rivendell
06-01-08, 20:50
Well I think OOtP had the best game, and it was all down to the fully interactive Hogwarts :)

All it needed was a broomstick or a flying thestral and it would've been perfect! :D

danitiwa
06-01-08, 21:01
But GOF is undoubtably(sp?) crap. :pi:

Carbonek_0051
06-01-08, 21:02
Well I think OOtP had the best game, and it was all down to the fully interactive Hogwarts :)

All it needed was a broomstick or a flying thestral and it would've been perfect! :D

I agree 100% on that :tmb:

OotP was a great game the best one so far....;)

danitiwa
06-01-08, 21:05
I agree 100% on that :tmb:

OotP was a great game the best one so far....;)

I still miss dueling and trading. :D

Carbonek_0051
06-01-08, 21:08
I still miss dueling and trading. :D

well you could duel....

Just aim at a slyhterin student do a spell and....BAM! there ya go you have a duel

Rivendell
06-01-08, 21:14

Never played it - never dared too when I read you couldn't explore the castle!

Carbonek_0051
06-01-08, 21:18

It's ok...:o

It just seems like they tried to make like the lord of the rings game and came of as a cheap knock-off......;)

(i just noticed my avatar is up yay)

xcrushterx
06-01-08, 21:18
Very.

danitiwa
06-01-08, 21:22

It is SO BORING. It's like a game you picked off Miniclip with "better" graphics. :yik: Don't buy it, it's a total waste of money. All you do is run around and cast spells at everything, no jumping, climbing, puzzling, just catching beans and pressing four different letters to change spells.

Rivendell
06-01-08, 21:33
No wait- I tell a lie - I played it on the DS. :D It was a fun little game, but I didn't expect anything like HP1-3 on PS/PS2.

:tmb:

danitiwa
06-01-08, 21:35
No wait- I tell a lie - I played it on the DS. :D It was a fun little game, but I didn't expect anything like HP1-3 on PS/PS2.

:tmb:

Eef, I couldn't bear more than three levels. It was so horribly boring. X_X

How is OotP on PC then? Should I get it?

Sedge
06-01-08, 21:53
How is OotP on PC then? Should I get it?
Download the demo from game's official site (http://harrypotter.ea.com/)? :p

Didn't really seem that great to me(from what I can say from the demo), but I guess if you're truly a fan of the series the chance to fully(?) explore Hogwarts and its surroundings may appeal.. At least I read the whole area is rather huge. O.o

Hyper_Crazy
07-01-08, 07:31
OotP is my 2nd favourite Harry Potter game. It's a awesome game mainly because Hogwarts is fully interactive, but one major flaw is the length of the game and how everything seems repetitive. PoA is my favourite as you can explore Hogwarts and has a fair game length. And you can fly Buckbeak around the castle.

GoF was just a disgrace, I'm not even gonna bother talking about it.

Ada the Mental
07-01-08, 19:43
:D Nicked this icon from someone:
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t96/AdatheGrey/7071432.gif

touchthesky
07-01-08, 19:52
I have the 2 disc OOTP dvd but havent even opened it yet.
Are the special features any good?

VonCroy360
07-01-08, 19:55
I have the 2 disc OOTP dvd but havent even opened it yet.
Are the special features any good?

I have to say I was really dissapointed with the special features - a few bonus scenes, one set tour, a documentary about the whole series which doesn't make much sense now that DH is out, and a not too interesting short editing game. Meh.