PDA

View Full Version : The General Harry Potter thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Rivendell
26-11-06, 18:47
It's only imagery! :ton:

Ends of the earth and all that! You never know - maybe Wizards still believe the Earth is flat ;) And that belief was there when Azkaban was built, hence why they built it there!

:D

Mytly
26-11-06, 19:00
Yeah, I got the imagery. :D

But I guess you're not a Terry Pratchett fan - in his Discworld series, the world is literally flat, with exactly the sort of waterfall effect at the edges as seen in this picture.

Rivendell
26-11-06, 20:06
I never got into Pratchett, but I know about the elephants and turtle that carry the world though!

Rivendell
30-11-06, 18:20
We're getting another preview clip on ABC this weekend according to mugglenet! :jmp:

Rivendell
01-12-06, 10:02
Post guys! You're making me look like a thread whore :ton:

New information about OOTP trailer

Information about the Australian version of the Order of the Phoenix trailer was released by the government's Office of Film and Literature Classification. They list the trailer as being two minutes long, which is longer than the American version. The international trailer should be released within the next month. We'll keep you posted as more information becomes available.

:jmp:

Ada the Mental
01-12-06, 13:26
Post guys! You're making me look like a thread whore
He,he,he!Spammer:ton:^

New trailer!:yah: I was just reading that on Mugglenet!

Alex West
01-12-06, 18:17
New trailer! We only just had one lol. But I won't complain! ;) :jmp:

VonCroy360
03-12-06, 08:18
Anyone seen the new 13 clips that aired on ABCFamily??

MuggleNet has all the links... ;)

dox online
03-12-06, 08:53
i got a letter from jk rowling iv got it in my safe

Lavinder
03-12-06, 08:58
i got a letter from jk rowling iv got it in my safe

Scan it and show us, i'm interested :):)

dox online
03-12-06, 08:59
will soon

Lavinder
03-12-06, 09:06
Just watched Lunas clip on Mugglenet! I thought that she was pretending to speak dazed but then I realised its actually her normal voice.. :vlol:

Rivendell
03-12-06, 09:17
Oooh Bellatrix grappling Neville! That's going to be something! :D

Lavinder
03-12-06, 09:26
Oooh Bellatrix grappling Neville! That's going to be something! :DI know :D Brilliant aye ?

Rivendell
03-12-06, 10:00
I have to admit I cringed when she pulled tongues..

But her sprawled on the floor with Harry pointing his wand at her = Exactly how I pictured it!

Lavinder
03-12-06, 10:38
I really hope they don't use her as a comedy element :(

Rivendell
03-12-06, 10:46
Yeah, she seems to be doing a great job, but even though HP is seen as a 'kids franchise' - I hope she doesn't focus on this!

Her evil look, posture and 'I had to be sexy too' tells me she's got the right idea ;)

Ada the Mental
03-12-06, 11:02
I don't know...I'm not particularly excited with her now....Especially those moments when she stuck out her tingue or when she miowed like a cute kitty when Harry used Crucio on her....

Wow!I was first disappointed with Evanna Lynch as Luna but I totally changed my mind!Her voice!:vlol:

I do hope that Ron won't be used as comedy element in this filme,too,in order to play up Hermione(which I hate in the films,btw...).

Rivendell
03-12-06, 11:45
I still have faith- remember her cheekyness in OoTp - she mimicks Harry in a baby-voice, and isn't the fight between her and Sirius described as looking as though it was a playfight? I'm sure there was something that made the fight they were having out to be not completely full of effort. :confused:

Rivendell
03-12-06, 12:17
I just checked it out - Sirius isn't taking the fight seriously, he's mocking her and laughing, and when Bellatrix talks to Harry, she talks patronisingly and baby-like.

Apart from when she tortures Neville :mis:

She Rules in this Fight! :D (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBRXWUHODcg)

Ada the Mental
03-12-06, 12:34
There was ckeekyness and playfullness from the part of Sirius-that's why he ended up the way he did!:p He was reckless and too self confident.

Bella from the other hand seems to take her "Master" and his orders too seriously to have time to play.

I pictured Bella more heavy and menacing,less comical,even when mocking Harry.

Not that I find her bad,just not he way I imagine her.I'll have to wait to see the whole film for a priper judgement...
And I can't seem to be able to judge the movies without comparing them to the books...:pi:

Blackmoor
03-12-06, 12:42
"Boo, guess who!"...

Bellatrix looked a bit panto evil lady in this clip...

But then she was a little bit like that in the books too I thought. Hopefully they'll keep it within sinister limits once it's all put together.

Wow!I was first disappointed with Evanna Lynch as Luna but I totally changed my mind!Her voice!:vlol:
I agree about Luna, what a brilliant dreamy voice she has. :tmb: Luna's one of my favourite characters so I'm glad they go someone good. Although she'd be better without such obvious hair extensions. :D
I do hope that Ron won't be used as comedy element in this filme,too,in order to play up Hermione(which I hate in the films,btw...).Yeah I know what you mean. I would never imagine Ron to say to Hermione, "Don't worry I'll go easy on you" when it comes to casting spells. I mean he knows she's much better than him at this stuff.

They always twist these two characters around in the films I think. I didn't like the weepy Hermione in the last film, "Oh Ron, you've ruined everything..." :rolleyes: And they always make Ron really clueless which he is not at all in the books.

Ada the Mental
03-12-06, 12:53
They make him look like a retarded clown,having lines only like "Bloody hell" and "brilliant" and every good line he has,such as "If you kill Harry you'll have to kill us,too" is given to Hermione.
Well,there is a different script-writer for this one...We can hope!

Rivendell
03-12-06, 12:55
Lol that's true, Ron's 'bloody hell' got very old by the end of film 3, give him some proper lines! He has a function beyond comedy in the books you know!

And I agree - Luna's voice is excellent!

Ada the Mental
03-12-06, 12:57
And Umbridge's! "I will have oooorder!" :vlol:

Rivendell
03-12-06, 12:58
Really looking forward to her too! I like that shot of her tottering along after McGonagall, really great!

:eek: The last 4 seconds of this clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc_Qh8hnHPE) - straight from the film?

Rivendell
07-12-06, 08:56
More galleons for Potter

Harry's Gringotts' vault may need expanding. Daniel Radcliffe's net worth of approximately 14 million pounds ($35 million) made him the youngest person to land on the Sunday Times Rich List. JK Rowling also appears on the list, higher than the Queen herself, with a reported worth of 520 million pounds (over one billion dollars).

:mad: Seeeeething!

Blackmoor
07-12-06, 17:39
:mad: Seeeeething!Because he's rich? He got lucky, getting the role of Harry was like winning the lottery... Had to happen to someone. :)

Rivendell
07-12-06, 17:42
£14million!

14!

He, his family and friends needent Ever work again after HP! :eek:

peffect
07-12-06, 17:46
£14million!

14!

:vlol:
good evening!

Ada the Mental
08-12-06, 12:11
£14million!

14!

Nor his great-great-great-grandchildren....Lucky him!

Alex West
08-12-06, 15:22
They make him look like a retarded clown,having lines only like "Bloody hell" and "brilliant" and every good line he has,such as "If you kill Harry you'll have to kill us,too" is given to Hermione.
Well,there is a different script-writer for this one...We can hope!

Lol - sorry but that's how I kind of see him in the books too. :p

I have only watched one of those vid clips - the one about wands - OH and the one about Luna. Luna seems like she's going to be great! :D

Rivendell
11-12-06, 07:17
I've just had a thought!

What if R.A.B and who everyone suspects him to be, ISN'T DEAD, just really good at hiding?

Alex West
11-12-06, 12:02
Oooh intriguing - then I suggest we'd better start a search party asap! ;)

(Just a simple comment like that now makes me want to read HBP again lol)

Mytly
11-12-06, 12:17
I've just had a thought!

What if R.A.B and who everyone suspects him to be, ISN'T DEAD, just really good at hiding?

Yeah, I've read about the idea that R.A.B. faked his own death and is now living in hiding. Some have even suggested that "Stubby Boardman" (of the Quibbler fame) is none other than Regulus Black, and his resemblance to Sirius is why Doris Purkiss thought he was Sirius. (Refer to OotP, chapter "Luna Lovegood", for those who have no idea what I'm talking about. ;))

Rivendell
11-12-06, 12:19
I bet that's it Mytly! You're right, that's just the type of subtle clue that'd be placed in the books before! :D

Mytly
11-12-06, 12:32
Yeah, the idea is that at least one of the Quibbler stories should have a grain of truth. What better than the one that we all "know" was definitely false! ;)

Ada the Mental
11-12-06, 20:40
Yeah, I've read about the idea that R.A.B. faked his own death and is now living in hiding. Some have even suggested that "Stubby Boardman" (of the Quibbler fame) is none other than Regulus Black, and his resemblance to Sirius is why Doris Purkiss thought he was Sirius. (Refer to OotP, chapter "Luna Lovegood", for those who have no idea what I'm talking about. ;))

Hey,I had thought about regi being alive but JKR said that he's dead.But as always in her usual annoying ambivalent quotes....
Don't remember where I read it:
Question:Will we hear from Regulus Black?
JKR:Well he's dead so he's pretty quiet these days...
That's a great theory,though Mytly!:tmb:

Rivendell
11-12-06, 20:42
Ah damn.

Still up for speculation then! :D

JKR's site is all festive now (well, slightly) - I really think we might get the title of book 7 this month!

It was Yule 2 years ago we opened the door, solved the puzzles and learned that book 6 was 'Half-Blood Prince' :D

Ada the Mental
11-12-06, 20:56
Haven't been there since the W.O.M.B.A.T. results came out...I'll drop in for a visit!
hope the door opens soon!;) :jmp:

xMiSsCrOfTx
11-12-06, 21:02
Maybe Sirius was captured by Voldemort. :yik:

Ada the Mental
11-12-06, 21:07
Maybe someone pulled Sirius's body out of there and turned him into an Inferious!:yik: I'd still love him!:D
I'm trying to draw the Lightning Struck Tower scene right now(and it looks pretty bad so far :() and the Shrieking Shack scene.Trying to get sirius looking the creepiest possible!:mis:

Rivendell
12-12-06, 22:23
:vlol: I just stumbled across a funny HP website! I was looking for Death Eater Mask pics on google images, and one led me to a site that can only be described as this:

We have Playboy, the Simpsons have PlayDude, and HP has PlayWitch! :vlol: :yik: :cln: :vlol:

Mytly
13-12-06, 08:43
Hey,I had thought about regi being alive but JKR said that he's dead.But as always in her usual annoying ambivalent quotes....
Don't remember where I read it:
Question:Will we hear from Regulus Black?
JKR:Well he's dead so he's pretty quiet these days...
That's a great theory,though Mytly!:tmb:

Not my personal theory. I was just summarizing what I've read from about a dozen different HP websites and forums. :D

I think the JKR quote is from the Mugglenet and Leaky Cauldron interview on the day after the release of HBP. But as you said, that's pretty ambivalent - she could just mean that everyone thinks he's dead.

Rivendell
13-12-06, 10:20
Maybe she's trying to trick us with the wording 'these days'... meaning, he won't be pretty quite some other time? :p Lol, nah I doubt it.

Blackmoor
13-12-06, 10:58
I think Regulus Black is probably dead. And probably it's for the best. I mean it is the final book... Harry needs to stand alone now (or stand alone with Ron and Hermione) and not get help from brothers of guardians, etc.

He'll be an adult in HP7 and I think he's going to have to act like one. For me that means no getting help from someone who managed to get one over on Voldemort and survive... which Regulus would be if he was still alive after destroying the horcrux.

That'd be too easy. Another "expert" to enlist in the horcrux hunt when in HP6 Harry specifically says himself, it's time now NOT to stand behind other people.

:)

Mytly
13-12-06, 14:30
I don't think Regulus - alive or dead - would be a good guy. The enemy of my enemy is not necessarily my friend. Remember, Regulus came from a long line of pureblood fanatics, and he lived most of his life following their footsteps. Whatever turned him against Voldemort may not be anything like opposition to the latter's ideals, but perhaps just personal vendetta. That is, Reg may be just as much of a pureblood fanatic as ever ... who found out that the leader he was working for was actually a halfblood!

Whether Harry and co. encounter Regulus personally in Book 7, or simply hear his story, I think we can be fairly certain they will not be receiving any direct help from him. Certainly he will be no substitute for Sirius, in terms of personality or his role in the book. Even if Reg badly wants L.V. to be stopped, I doubt he would help another halfblood do the stopping.

Blackmoor
13-12-06, 15:08
Yes that's fair enough, there is no proof of Regulus's character and he may still be an evil pureblood fanatic like his mother...

But in the letter enclosed in the locket it says, "I face death in the hope that when you meet your match, you will be mortal once more".

That bit sounds a little like someone who is wishing Voldemort dead regardless of who does it. And consequently if he is alive, I think he would be likely to help Harry...

Also Sirius says in HP5, "From what I found out after he died, he got in so far, and then panicked about what he was being asked to do and tried to back out..." I don't think it's certain he was totally evil... although this could be another red herring and of course even if it isn't, doesn't prove that he doesn't hate half-bloods, etc, just that he had a change of heart regarding what he was being asked to do by Voldemort.

If he is still alive, I hope that he is portrayed as an evil character and not a Sirius substitute... I want to see Harry have as much opposition as possible in this book, kind of like at the limits of all limits, the end of the line with no help... he pulls through and overcomes evil... :)

Ada the Mental
13-12-06, 17:15
she could just mean that everyone thinks he's dead.
Or that even if he is dead we will hear from him...
I think Regulus was a bit like Malfoy. He didn't know what he was getting into. He tried to play with the bigger kids.
Personally,I think it'd be a bad idea if he's alive.I'm pretty sure he's R.A.B. but I wouldn't want him having a part in the plot other than an explanation of what caused him to change sides.
Oh, and I ckecked the rumors section in JKR's site...Reg is not Stubby...:(

I just stumbled across a funny HP website! I was looking for Death Eater Mask pics on google images, and one led me to a site that can only be described as this:

We have Playboy, the Simpsons have PlayDude, and HP has PlayWitch!
Check this out,too.It has some hilarious Death-Eaters satire and...KKK hoods bashing!:D
http://acciobrain.ligermagic.com/

Mytly
14-12-06, 04:59
But in the letter enclosed in the locket it says, "I face death in the hope that when you meet your match, you will be mortal once more".

That bit sounds a little like someone who is wishing Voldemort dead regardless of who does it. And consequently if he is alive, I think he would be likely to help Harry...

Also Sirius says in HP5, "From what I found out after he died, he got in so far, and then panicked about what he was being asked to do and tried to back out..." I don't think it's certain he was totally evil... although this could be another red herring and of course even if it isn't, doesn't prove that he doesn't hate half-bloods, etc, just that he had a change of heart regarding what he was being asked to do by Voldemort.

If he is still alive, I hope that he is portrayed as an evil character and not a Sirius substitute... I want to see Harry have as much opposition as possible in this book, kind of like at the limits of all limits, the end of the line with no help... he pulls through and overcomes evil... :)

Yeah, it's not impossible that Regulus would help Harry if he were still alive. But I very much doubt that he'd be too happy about it. And I'm almost certain he won't be one of the "good guys" - it would be far too simplistic, and I hope JKR can show shades of morality other than the almost pure black and white she's shown so far (with the exception of Snape, and maybe Draco Malfoy in HBP).

As for Sirius's statements about Reg, remember that Sirius was completely estranged from his family, so what he would have known about Reg's death would have been a second-hand report at best, therefore not very reliable. Or possibly, that might have been the official story given out by Voldemort himself, if he didn't want the reason that Regulus suddenly opposed him to become public.

Oh, and I ckecked the rumors section in JKR's site...Reg is not Stubby...:(

Ouch! :o :hea:

(Note to self: check JKR's site more often.)

a_pok
14-12-06, 11:53
you know...
i have been thinking why did JKR keep the sixth horcrox a secret???
and the answer i came up with is that harry himself is the sixth horcrox....
prouf:in HP and the COS,dumbledor told harry that lord voldemort have placed a part of him inside harry...
so what if this part was his soul???

Rivendell
14-12-06, 11:59
It's a common theory, personally I can't see how he did it other than if he cast the Horcrux making spell at the same time as the AK curse.

I hope Dumbledore was a Horcrux, I think Lord Voldemort would've wanted that because it meant Dumbledore had to die first if LV had to die. Which undoubtedly would make him happy.

I don't think he was though, and I don't think Harry is either.

By the way, what are the ones we have so far?

The diary
The ring
The missing locket
The bit inside LV himself
? Unknown
? Unknown
? Unknown

a_pok
14-12-06, 12:03
It's a common theory, personally I can't see how he did it other than if he cast the Horcrux making spell at the same time as the AK curse.

I hope Dumbledore was a Horcrux, I think Lord Voldemort would've wanted that because it meant Dumbledore had to die first if LV had to die. Which undoubtedly would make him happy.

I don't think he was though, and I don't think Harry is either.

By the way, what are the ones we have so far?

The diary
The ring
The missing locket
The bit inside LV himself
? Unknown
? Unknown
? Unknown

Naginy(LV's snake)
and hufflepuff's cup(the one tom riddle stole from that lady)

Ada the Mental
14-12-06, 12:12
Do you guys think that the Mirror of Erised might be a Horcrux?

The theory that Harry I think it's based on Harry's possesion by Voldie in the MoM.How the hell could Voldie possess Harry when he already has a body?Unless he was just playing with his mind and it was no possession anyway....

a_pok
14-12-06, 12:27
Do you guys think that the Mirror of Erised might be a Horcrux?

The theory that Harry I think it's based on Harry's possesion by Voldie in the MoM.How the hell could Voldie possess Harry when he already has a body?Unless he was just playing with his mind and it was no possession anyway....

no im not talking about possessing harry...
im saying that Lord Voldemort placed a part of his soul inside harry...
or in other words, using harry to become immortal...

Ada the Mental
14-12-06, 12:39
no im not talking about possessing harry...
im saying that Lord Voldemort placed a part of his soul inside harry...
or in other words, using harry to become immortal...
I'm generally talking,not about what you said.;)
OK.For all we know LV just tried to kill Harry.He could use Jame's and Lily's murders.But how exactly is the soul split?Just by commiting a murder?Then everyone who has crashed a bug,would have a maimed soul.But how exactly is a H be created?It surely needs a spell and an incantation.
I can't see how he did it other than if he cast the Horcrux making spell at the same time as the AK curse.
That's exactly my problem with this.Unless he used the Horcrux spell simultaneously with the AV it's impossible he could have done it.And I doubt he did,there's no sign in the books that implies someone can use two spells at once.

a_pok
14-12-06, 12:46
That's exactly my problem with this.Unless he used the Horcrux spell simultaneously with the AV it's impossible he could have done it.And I doubt he did,there's no sign in the books that implies someone can use two spells at once.

maybe its advanced dark magic

Blackmoor
14-12-06, 13:45
As for Sirius's statements about Reg, remember that Sirius was completely estranged from his family, so what he would have known about Reg's death would have been a second-hand report at best, therefore not very reliable. Or possibly, that might have been the official story given out by Voldemort himself, if he didn't want the reason that Regulus suddenly opposed him to become public.True, Sirius probably heard from the Death Eaters whilst he was in Azkaban and how reliable are they?

Whatever the story behind Regulus is, it's going to be interesting to find out what did happen to him and how he managed to get the locket. I don't think there is anyone else RAB could be is there?

-----

About making the horcruxes... Dumbledore believed that the snake was a horcrux that Voldemort made after he killed Bertha or that muggle man in the Ridley mansion... But, when he and Harry duelled and their wands connected, why didn't the horcrux spell reveal itself as Voldemort's wand regurgitated previous spells?

Something else that always bugged me is, how did Voldemort recover his wand? I mean when the Avadra Kadavra spell rebounded on him, him become just thoughts no substance, so he can't have carried it since then. And when people arrived at the site surely the first thing they did was pick up the wand? Anyway how else did they know he was destroyed...

:confused:

Mytly
14-12-06, 14:31
Ah, a nice discussion! :D *rubs hands in glee*

True, Sirius probably heard from the Death Eaters whilst he was in Azkaban and how reliable are they?

Not exactly, since Regulus died two years before Sirius landed in Azkaban.

Whatever the story behind Regulus is, it's going to be interesting to find out what did happen to him and how he managed to get the locket. I don't think there is anyone else RAB could be is there?

I think it's almost certain that R.A.B. is Regulus. For one thing, even the translations of HBP have been printed keeping the initials of Regulus Black in mind (the surname "Black" is usually translated into the local word for black, so it would be a different initial).
Also, the glaring fact that in the year and a half since HBP was released, JKR has said or done nothing to debunk this theory - but she went out of her way to deny the Dumbledore-is-not-dead theory.

Something else that always bugged me is, how did Voldemort recover his wand? I mean when the Avadra Kadavra spell rebounded on him, him become just thoughts no substance, so he can't have carried it since then. And when people arrived at the site surely the first thing they did was pick up the wand? Anyway how else did they know he was destroyed...

:confused:

This has puzzled me too. The most plausible explanation about the wand is that Pettigrew was with Voldemort that night at Godric's Hollow, and he stole the wand after L.V. was destroyed. Then he duly returned it when he rejoined L.V. after PoA, probably claiming that he had been keeping it safe for his master.
As for how everyone knew L.V. was gone, it's tougher to explain, but the best theory I've come across is that Snape's Dark Mark disappeared, and he informed Dumbledore, who sent Hagrid to investigate, ... and you know the rest.

Most plausible theory: The Horcrux creation spell is not two spells (that is A.K. + something else), but one single killing spell (not A.K.) which also transfers the split part of the soul to an external container, thus creating a Horcrux. So when Voldemort tried to kill Harry, he probably had some artifact with him that he would direct his split soul fragment into when the deed was done. But the deed went wrong, and Voldy didn't remain around to direct the soul fragment - which went into the nearest receptacle, namely Harry.

Disclaimer: Almost everything I have stated is plagiarized from Red Hen's essays. ;)

Rivendell
17-12-06, 19:29
You guys realise that on Thursday it'll have been 2 years since we learnt the title 'Half-Blood Prince' ?

We could know the title of the final book next week!

peffect
17-12-06, 19:53
You guys realise that on Thursday it'll have been 2 years since we learnt the title 'Half-Blood Prince' ?

We could know the title of the final book next week!

But I heard,when JKR was taking a shower,a second title came into her mind...she's going to choose or combine ?

Rivendell
17-12-06, 20:29
Apparently she's got 3 running titles for book 7, but hopefully she'll have made up her mind by next week :D

peffect
18-12-06, 15:40
Yesterday,I've finished the 2nd harry potter book in french :jmp:
But still wonder how did ginny found riddle's diary and where ?

Lavinder
18-12-06, 16:39
Yesterday,I've finished the 2nd harry potter book in french :jmp:
But still wonder how did ginny found riddle's diary and where ?

Draco's dad slipped it in the Ginny's trolley :)

peffect
18-12-06, 16:58
Draco's dad slipped it in the Ginny's trolley :)

Ah...how silly I am:hea: :D
But where did draco father find it ?

Mytly
18-12-06, 18:58
Voldemort had left it with him for safekeeping.

peffect
18-12-06, 19:02
Voldemort had left it with him for safekeeping.

Can u explain please !

Ada the Mental
18-12-06, 19:10
Can u explain please !

Have you read HBP? Otherwise it'd be a huge spoiler!

You know it annoys me when I think of JKR sitting in front of her pc,browsing through HP forums (she said it herself that she does that) and smiling when reading all the crazy or spot-on theories...

Can't wait till the 7th book!:jmp:

BlueJunkie
18-12-06, 19:12
Harry Potter, eh? I've seen all the movies - actually I camped out to see the latest one in the cinema. Quite sad, but all my friends did it so I did it. :tmb: Quite good. I've only read the 1st book. :o Can't consider me a fan though. I love them but, I really need to read the books! :cln:

Ada the Mental
18-12-06, 19:14
Harry Potter, eh? I've seen all the movies - actually I camped out to see the latest one in the cinema. Quite sad, but all my friends did it so I did it. :tmb: Quite good. I've only read the 1st book. :o Can't consider me a fan though. I love them but, I really need to read the books! :cln:

You must read the books.Way better than the movies(naturally)!

Mytly
18-12-06, 19:18
Can u explain please !

Without giving away anything in HBP, all I can say is that Voldemort considered the diary very important, and wanted it kept safe in case anything happened to him. He left it in Lucius Malfoy's care before his (Voldemort's, that is) defeat at Godric's Hollow. By the time of Chamber of Secrets, some 11 years had passed since then, and everyone thought that Voldemort was dead. So Malfoy decided to use the diary for his own agenda.

I hope this helps. :wve:

Rivendell
19-12-06, 12:48
There's some interesting stuff been written on her site now!
She had a dream about stuff re:book 7, but I can bet it's all a red herring to make us wonder strange things.

I like the new rumor-debunked: Harry will NOT MERGE WITH LORD VOLDEMORT to become a single entity.

:yik: Who could've thought that one up?? :vlol:

peffect
19-12-06, 16:26
She had a dream about stuff re:book 7, but I can bet it's all a red herring to make us wonder strange things.

I like the new rumor-debunked: Harry will NOT MERGE WITH LORD VOLDEMORT to become a single entity.

Didn't get you riv,cud U xplain more plz ?:o

@mytly : Don't worry I read 'bout the horocrox(Still not sure 'bout the right name,I read the novel in french:)
But I wanted to know 'bout how did voldy give the diray to the malfoys

tomblover
19-12-06, 17:44
I've got all the books in Swedish and the first and the latest one in English. I have all the movies too. And some trivia books. Can't say I'm a fan though. They're just fun to read.

Ada the Mental
19-12-06, 18:17

Crystal Dynamics!:vlol:

About that dream!:vlol: :vlol: :vlol:
Do you think it could be a hint to the location of a Horcrux?
Let's see...Items in the Great Hall...house tables,DD's chair,the hourglasses...
Hey!She said that the Sorting Hat is not a Horcrux but how about the Hat's stand?:vlol:

Rivendell
19-12-06, 19:23
I think she might have given away stuff inadvertantly you know - that Harry is going to be looking in the wrong places, and that he might actually find one in some big open space - or even in a place that isn't hidden at all.

The last place you'd think to look for something so important is right under your nose ;) It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Rivendell
21-12-06, 12:19
i Knew It!

HP 7 Book TITLE is on JKs website, I can't wait to find out what it is!! :jmp: I'm not going to look at spoilers, I wanna work out the puzzles myself!

OH YEAH - Who said it was gonna be announced today?!?? :jmp: :cool:

Rivendell
21-12-06, 12:24
Wow! What a title!! :jmp:

Ada the Mental
21-12-06, 13:10
:hea:What the ****!The sign is still on the door!Or did I miss it?:yik:

Any relation to Sybill Trelawny,Riv?

Rivendell
21-12-06, 14:41
Highlight for title (unless you know it already by now!)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows :jmp:

Coolest title yet Imo !

Ada the Mental
21-12-06, 15:07
I saw the title on Mugglenet!:jmp:
I'm getting over excited again!:jmp:

Rivendell
21-12-06, 15:18
Methinks it's to do with Horcruxes!
>>

'Deathly' - related to death
'Hallows' - "To make or set apart as holy"

(I originally thought the latter was something to do with spirits because of 'Eve of All Hallows')

But it makes sense as a horcrux - related to death and is very important (to LV) :D <<

Ada the Mental
21-12-06, 15:26
It certainly makes sense.
I don't know exactly what Hallows means so I assumed it had something to do with Godric's Hollow since LV attacked Harry and his parents in Halloween.
But I think your theory makes much more sense.

Mytly
21-12-06, 15:45
:jmp: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp:
New title! New title!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*goes completely nuts*
:cln: :cln: :cln: :cln: :cln:

No, Riv, I don't find it the coolest title yet, but then again I hated Half-Blood Prince when I first heard of it. Needless to say, I love it now :D. I guess the new name has still to grow on me. Besides, I guess once we have the context to interpret it in, it will be more interesting (that is, when we get the BOOOOOOK! ;)).

Rivendell
21-12-06, 15:45
Congrats on 2k Ada! :jmp:

I've another thought - 'Hallowed' is "To make or set apart as holy"
, so perhaps 'Hallows' is a place that is "set apart as holy" - but still connected to death.. hmm..

Mytly
21-12-06, 15:54
I've another thought - 'Hallowed' is "To make or set apart as holy"
, so perhaps 'Hallows' is a place that is "set apart as holy" - but still connected to death.. hmm..

Makes sense - besides the name is too similar to Godric's Hollow - it can't be just a coincidence. Even if Deathly Hallows isn't the name of a place, it must have some reference to one I think. Don't really know why, just a gut feeling.
I saw the title on Mugglenet!:jmp:
I'm getting over excited again!:jmp:

Check it out on Rowling's site - it's really cool, all wrapped up as a Christmas parcel. :D

Also, congrats on 2000 posts! :tmb:

Rivendell
21-12-06, 15:57
Makes sense - besides the name is too similar to Godric's Hollow - it can't be just a coincidence. Even if Deathly Hallows isn't the name of a place, it must have some reference to one I think. Don't really know why, just a gut feeling.

Perhaps.
I don't think it's going to be the 'name' of a place, just that 'Hallows' could refer to a place that someone holds very important / sacred.

By the way, why are we still censoring it? It's been officially released! :D

Ada the Mental
21-12-06, 16:06
Congrats on 2k Ada! :jmp:
Thanks!:D didn't notice!

Check it out on Rowling's site - it's really cool, all wrapped up as a Christmas parcel. :D

Also, congrats on 2000 posts! :tmb:
Thank you,too Mytly!
I don't know why but the "Do not disturb" sign is still on the door....:confused:
Anyway,I saw a video of the parcel with the title!

By the way, why are we still censoring it? It's been officially released! :D
Eeee....Good point.But someone might want to solve the puzzles by himself so let's keep it like this for now.

Anyway,I don't think it's refering to a certain place.

I can't wait for the book.I'm hoping for 31/7/07 release on Harry's birthday!
I hope there's an explanation of the exact events on night of Voldemort's attack and what happened next(AKA the Missing Day Theory)...

Mytly
21-12-06, 16:13
I'm hoping for 31/7/07 release on Harry's birthday!

Better yet, 7/7/07 - a perfect date for Book 7! :jmp:

Bonez
21-12-06, 16:43
I personally hate the title :p Though It will probably grow on me..

Ada the Mental
21-12-06, 16:45
^Stil better than the Half Blood Prince.

Rivendell
21-12-06, 16:54
I think so too Ada - when HBP was announced I was like 'what the hell is that?! It sounds so namby-pamby...'
(It's my fave HP book now though!)
This one sounds so mysterious and powerful, I can't WAIT to see the cover art!!!

Ada the Mental
21-12-06, 17:00
I don't know,there's something that bugs a tiny bit(only a bit) about HBP as a book.It felt a bit rushed at times.

As for the cover-I didn't really like the last too.My favourite cover is Giles Greenfield's one for GoF,followed by Thomas Taylor's.
I hope that the cover art won't look like the US versions of the books.I despise them!:yik:

Rivendell
21-12-06, 17:33
Ugh me too, I don't know why either! I think it's just because Harry's face always looks really long and weasley. Not as in 'Ron' , but literally weasle-like.

They should put Harry being attacked by something on the cover I think.
One of the HBP covers looked great, let me see if I can find it.

VonCroy360
21-12-06, 19:31
:cln: OMG. :cln:
Just read it on Muggle Net.

I don't really realise what should it mean, but it really sounds mysterious. :)

As for the covers, here we have american covers and I like them.
My favourites are dutch covers, though, especially the one for HBP - it looks exciting, you can feel the action, but it's still very mysterious, nothing is actually revealed.

Dutch HBP (http://www.harrypotterspage.com/images/photogallery/displayimage.php?pid=5093&fullsize=1)
Dutch GOF (http://www.pottersrealm.com/albums/Book_covers/boek4.jpg)

Greenkey2
21-12-06, 19:32
:tmb: Nice images VonCroy360.

Alive_and_Funky
21-12-06, 19:34
Just read it on Muggle Net.

I don't really realise what should it mean, but it really sounds mysterious. :)

I'm not too keen on the title at the moment, but I'm sure that when I find out what it means I'll like it.
As for the covers, here we have american covers and I like them.
My favourites are dutch covers, though, especially the one for HBP - it looks exciting, you can feel the action, but it's still very mysterious, nothing is actually revealed.

Dutch HBP (http://www.harrypotterspage.com/images/photogallery/displayimage.php?pid=5093&fullsize=1)
I thought Yoda was on the Dutch HBP cover at first glance. :vlol:

LaraLover1125
21-12-06, 19:37
I don't like the title very much...
Deathly Gallows..too boring.

I think that the best title was Order of the Phoenix!

Ada the Mental
21-12-06, 19:40
:eek:These are great,especially the HBP one!
My favourite title was the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Rivendell
21-12-06, 20:12
I don't like the title very much...
Deathly Gallows..too boring.

I think that the best title was Order of the Phoenix!

It's Deathly Hallows! Big difference! :p

Besides, it's very likely to just mean 'Horcruxes', so would you rather Harry Potter and the Horcruxes? Or Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? ;)

I know which one I'd rather!

Those images don't work for me, can't see them :( And I couldn't find the one I was looking for! It was like a fight on a spiral staircase, with the shadow of a robed figure running off. (An HBP cover).

VonCroy360
21-12-06, 21:53
And I couldn't find the one I was looking for! It was like a fight on a spiral staircase, with the shadow of a robed figure running off. (An HBP cover).

That's the Dutch HBP, the one i linked to. ;) :)

Mytly
22-12-06, 08:15
As for the cover-I didn't really like the last too.My favourite cover is Giles Greenfield's one for GoF,followed by Thomas Taylor's.
Which one is Giles Greenfield's work, that is, on which edition?

Ugh, me too. The first four are terrible. The ones for OotP and HBP are okay, but Harry looks far too weird on them. Still, the worst cover art ever has to be of the British edition of OotP - no Harry, and just one big damn phoenix! WTF?! :mad:
I hope DH's cover art doesn't go the same way, that is, by trying not to give away anything on the cover, they wind up showing nothing. :(

[quote=VonCroy360;1435725]:cln: OMG. :cln: As for the covers, here we have american covers and I like them.

Wow, those are fantastic!

Besides, it's very likely to just mean 'Horcruxes', so would you rather Harry Potter and the Horcruxes? Or Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? ;)
Yeah, the name probably is a roundabout way of saying Horcruxes. The single word would not have worked, of course, as no-one outside the HP fan community knows what Horcruxes means.
Also, it would break the symmetry from the earlier books - all the titles so far have had two content words, with a noun (Stone, Chamber, Prisoner, Goblet, Order, Prince) and a word/phrase qualifying it (Philosopher's/Sorcerer's, Secrets, Azkaban, Fire, Phoenix, Half-Blood).

Alex West
22-12-06, 08:58
Just to say that I am liking the new title now that it has sunk in - very dark and mysterious! :D

And I read a great essay about possible horcrux - there's some great theories out there! :p

Ada the Mental
22-12-06, 12:13
Hey I forgot to overreact and get overexcited yesterday,so I'm doing it now!
http://bestsmileys.com/bouncing/10.gif
Which one is Giles Greenfield's work, that is, on which edition?
This one,the British edition:http://www.sfsite.com/~silverag/goblet.html
I just love the dragon!:cln:
Still, the worst cover art ever has to be of the British edition of OotP - no Harry, and just one big damn phoenix! WTF?! :mad:
Yeah,it's boring,plus the yellow looks too bad.
We have the British edition covers here.
But I'm getting the English version,anyway,like I did with the last books.I'm not mad to wait all these months for the translated version.Plus I prefer the original.

Anyway,I think too the title's a paraphrase for Horcrux.
I just remembered,when Jo debunked the rumor that the book is called HP and the Green Torch she said that it wouldn' be that easy for Harry to kill off LV,implying of course that the title would be a way/thing that would help Harry get rid of him.

Alex West
22-12-06, 13:48
My favourite cover (UK) is easily Goblet of Fire - the dragon is great and the style is so sleeek and gorgeous. I also agree that Order of the Phoenix is probably the weakest - the only one not showing Harry! That annoyed me!
Here's hoping for a great new cover for the last book! :D

xcrushterx
22-12-06, 13:49
the title of the new book is harry potter and the deathly hallows

peeves
22-12-06, 13:56
the title of the new book is harry potter and the deathly hallows

Damn. You beat me to it. I was just about to say that till you beat me.

Sorcerer's Stone
Chamber of Secrets
Prisoner of Azkaban
Goblet of Fire
Order of the Phoenix
Half-Blood Prince
Deathly Hallows

Mytly
22-12-06, 18:46
Hey I forgot to overreact and get overexcited yesterday,so I'm doing it now!
http://bestsmileys.com/bouncing/10.gif
:D :vlol:

This one,the British edition:http://www.sfsite.com/~silverag/goblet.html (http://www.sfsite.com/%7Esilverag/goblet.html)
I just love the dragon!:cln:
Oh, that one! I love it too - definitely my favourite HP cover art. :D

Mytly
22-12-06, 18:51
Arrgh! Double post! :yik:
I blame the Load Balancing. :mad:

Rivendell
22-12-06, 19:02
Few pages late there Crushter ;)

peeves
23-12-06, 00:26
BTW I know what happens in the first 5 movies coz I saw the four movies and read the fifth book.
In the Sorcerer's Stone Harry Goes to hogwarts for his first year and learns about the sorcerer's stone. He then teams up with ron and hermione to help stop snape from taking the sorcerer's stone. At the end harry battles quirrell and voldemort and harry touches his face and harry gets unconscious and ends up in the hospital wing then he saved the stone. In the Chamber of Secrets Harry speaks parseltongue and learns about the Chamber of Secrets. He then wonders who opened it a long time ago. Everyone gets petrified harry searches clues to who opened it and harry opens it by speaking parseltongue and goes down with ron and gilderoy lockhart and harry enters the chamber to find ginny lying unconscious he then battles the basilisk and Tom Marvolo Riddle and wins. And saves ginny they leave the chamber via Fawkes. In the Prisoner of Azkaban Harry hears about Sirius Black his godfather accused of killing 13 people. With him in Azkaban Harry cries coz his godfather is locked up. Then he later saves buckbeak the hippogriff by using a time turner with hermione and harry battles the dementors doing so. Then they save sirius and he leaves via buckbeak. In the Goblet of Fire someone put his name in the triwizard cup for the tournament and he battles dragons, leviathans, and in the final task in the hedge maze cedric and harry touch the cup only to find itself turn into a portkey. It takes em to a graveyard and voldemort kills cedric and harry gets trapped behind a statue. He screams miserably and voldemort dropped him from the statue and battles harry and harry flees with the cup and cedric's carcass and when he returns back he cries just because he was tortured and his friend died.
In the Order of the Phoenix harry hears about a meeting called the order of the phoenix. And Voldemort tortures harry using his dreams and snape gives him lessons and later on harry had a vision of sirius being tortured by voldemort at the department of mysteries and he teams up with ron hermione ginny neville and luna and they arrive there to find him not there instead he finds a prophecy and lucius malfoy shows up asking for the prophecy. And his death eaters chase them about and Sirius Lupin Moody Tonks Kingsley and Dumbledore show and voldemort kills sirius and harry cries again. Dumbledore fought voldemort and voldemort fled. Harry was sad and crying. And it ended.

peffect
23-12-06, 00:35
*Eyes open...*

peeves
23-12-06, 00:43
*Eyes open...*
What does that mean?!

Mytly
23-12-06, 08:57
BTW I know what happens in the first 5 movies coz I saw the four movies and read the fifth book.
:rolleyes:
Peeves, do you really think that the rest of the people posting here haven't read the books or seen the movies?! There's no reason for you to give a summary. If someone wants to know, they'll ask.

Aurimas
23-12-06, 09:33

tomblover
23-12-06, 09:55
Here's the Swedish covers, if anyone's interested.
First Book:

http://pslinden.com/images/rowling_harrypotterochdevisessten.jpg

Second book:

http://www.pottersajten.com/cutenews/data/upimages/COS.jpg

Third book:

http://www.barnbokhandeln.com/butik/artikel/shop_image/product/L-9025_harry_potter_fangen.jpg

Fourth book:

http://www.pottersajten.com/cutenews/data/upimages/GOF.jpg

Fifth book:

http://www.temp.sfbok.se/kat/img/47761.jpg

Sixth book:

http://www.temp.sfbok.se/kat/img/52439.jpg

That's all, folks! :D

Rivendell
23-12-06, 09:57
How ace are those last two? :yik: THe thestral is amazing!

tomblover
23-12-06, 09:59
Glad you like them! :D We Swedes are lucky sometimes! :jmp: I like the third book's cover the most! :)

Mytly
23-12-06, 10:02
Wow, love the Swedish covers. The thestral looks great (though its teeth are a bit weird). Why does Harry seem to be levitating in the first one? :confused:

tomblover
23-12-06, 10:04
Why does Harry seem to be levitating in the first one? :confused: I don't know, to be honest. Maybe it just was a nice pose. xD

Ada the Mental
23-12-06, 10:09
voldemort kills sirius and harry cries again.
Are you sure you have read it?
And as Mytly said,we already know that,and if we didn't we also wouldn't like to have it spoiled.;)

Fifth book:

:cln: :eek: I love that Thestral.

Pipolinne
23-12-06, 11:28
Yes,Peeves,your supreme knowledge of all things Potterish leave us completely speechless.

Indeed,it's clearly obvious we wrote more than 600 posts about something we didn't know about,only waiting for your words of wise.

Please :rolleyes:!

And,incidentally,is not Voldemort who kills Sirius. Perhaps you should read the fifth book again,but attentively,this time.

Yeah,Aurimas,I'm glad you stated it was your opinion. For a moment,I thought it could be HP's own opinion!

Ikas90
23-12-06, 11:41
What does the new HP 7 book cover look like?

Alive_and_Funky
23-12-06, 11:41
I don't think the cover has been revealed yet. I hope it's good though. :jmp:

Mytly
23-12-06, 13:56
It's not yet revealed, and probably it's not even been done yet, as JKR hasn't finished writing the book.

Speaking of that, does anybody remember about when HBP's cover art was released? Hopefully, DH will follow the same timeline.

Pipolinne
23-12-06, 14:12
I only remember the revelation of the chapter's titles,not the covers...

Anyway,I think I'd prefer to know the titles of some chapters,than to see the covers,once,so far, HP's never really pleased me.

But I admit I'm waiting for the adult version to be quite dark and mysterious :D!

Mytly
23-12-06, 14:26
But I admit I'm waiting for the adult version to be quite dark and mysterious :D!
Oh, yes! The adult edition covers are lovely, aren't they? I especially like the
Philosopher's Stone one, with the glowing red Philosopher's stone on the cover. The first time I saw the adult editions, I almost felt like buying them just for the covers. :D

Pipolinne
23-12-06, 14:30
Yes! I must buy all seven again,once some of my HP books are already too old and battered,and I'm looking forward to buy all the new adult cover editions!

I think adult ones are more accurate,they fit the books better and are more related to the plot. All that colour on the children ones is a tad stupid,sometimes.

Lavinder
23-12-06, 15:01
What is the difference between the adult and the children versions?

tomblover
23-12-06, 15:13
Can I have a pic of the adult versions?

Rivendell
23-12-06, 15:25
What is the difference between the adult and the children versions?

The cover! :D

tomblover
23-12-06, 15:39
The cover! :D xD That made me ROTFALQAB! (Roll On The Floor And Laugh Quite A Bit!)

peeves
23-12-06, 18:44
Yes,Peeves,your supreme knowledge of all things Potterish leave us completely speechless.

Indeed,it's clearly obvious we wrote more than 600 posts about something we didn't know about,only waiting for your words of wise.

Please :rolleyes:!

And,incidentally,is not Voldemort who kills Sirius. Perhaps you should read the fifth book again,but attentively,this time.

Yeah,Aurimas,I'm glad you stated it was your opinion. For a moment,I thought it could be HP's own opinion!

Well Voldemort ordered his death eater to kill Sirius.

Ada the Mental
24-12-06, 14:19
Laura Mallory named 'Idiot of the Year'
In what won't be the best holiday gift for Ms. Mallory, the Georgian woman who's fighting to have the Potter series banned from local schools, has been named Idiot of the Year by the Washington Post. They write:

This vigilant mother of four has demanded local schools remove Harry Potter from their libraries because, in her analysis, the books are an "evil" attempt to indoctrinate children in Wicca religion. Congratulations Laura, and good luck on your quest to eradicate the dark forces which pollute children's literature
:D

Loved that!
It's annoying.The HP have even been accused for global warming!:rolleyes:

Greenkey2
24-12-06, 14:22
It's annoying.The HP have even been accused for global warming!:rolleyes:

Must be because all the extremist-viewed people are burning them :pi:

Honestly, you would have to have a mind like a drinking straw to consider these fantasy books an 'evil influence'. Why can't they let their kids have an imagination for crying out loud? :rolleyes: Next they'll be banning Lord of the Rings because elves and dwarves don't figure in God's Creation. That's my opinion.

Blackmoor
24-12-06, 14:23
First Book:

http://pslinden.com/images/rowling_harrypotterochdevisessten.jpg

Second book:

http://www.pottersajten.com/cutenews/data/upimages/COS.jpg

Third book:

http://www.barnbokhandeln.com/butik/artikel/shop_image/product/L-9025_harry_potter_fangen.jpg

Fourth book:

http://www.pottersajten.com/cutenews/data/upimages/GOF.jpg

Fifth book:

Sixth book:

http://www.temp.sfbok.se/kat/img/52439.jpg

That's all, folks! :D

All of these covers are gorgeous. :tmb: Harry looks just how I imagine him too, much better than the British covers. And I love the slight quirkiness of each picture. The artist is very talented.

----

I love the new book title - Deathly Hallows... Hmm, intriguing and dark sounding... just how book 7 should be.

Oh I so cannot wait. :D

Ada the Mental
24-12-06, 14:27
Must be because all the extremist-viewed people are burning them :pi:

Honestly, you would have to have a mind like a drinking straw to consider these fantasy books an 'evil influence'. Why can't they let their kids have an imagination for crying out loud? :rolleyes: Next they'll be banning Lord of the Rings because elves and dwarves don't figure in God's Creation. That's my opinion.

Probably because they're too religious or just dull people with no imagination themselves...
They accused the books for global warming because they sell too many copies.People keep complaining that nowadays kids don't read.Now,they're also complaing because they do read.:rolleyes: :pi:

Mytly
24-12-06, 17:55
Laura Mallory named 'Idiot of the Year'
In what won't be the best holiday gift for Ms. Mallory, the Georgian woman who's fighting to have the Potter series banned from local schools, has been named Idiot of the Year by the Washington Post. They write:

This vigilant mother of four has demanded local schools remove Harry Potter from their libraries because, in her analysis, the books are an "evil" attempt to indoctrinate children in Wicca religion. Congratulations Laura, and good luck on your quest to eradicate the dark forces which pollute children's literature
'Idiot of the Year' - I love it! :vlol:
Probably because of Ms. Mallory's quest, even those few children who haven't yet read HP must have started reading them just to see what's so horrible about them - after all, the best way to get a child to do something is to forbid him/her to do it. ;)
So I guess Laura Mallory is actually an undercover publicity agent working for JKR, trying to drum up extra publicity for her books. :pi:

Seriously, though, it's hard to believe that the woman could actually have such deluded ideas - apparently she hasn't even read the books, yet she thinks they are the tools of Satan! :hea: Surely it's just common sense to at least read something before making it your life's ambition to ban it? But I guess common sense is a quality severely lacking in people like Laura Mallory.

Pipolinne
24-12-06, 18:19
Not that I care,but it's interesting to think about religion on HP.

We know they celebrate Christmas,but not Easter,and,actually,there's not a concrete religious reference.

Concerning ancient pagan religions,there's also no reference at all to such religious practices.

Religiously speaking, the dark wizards seem to be as a-religious as the others and,once Voldy was raised in an orphanage,during the 30-40's ,we might assume he had a christian upbringing,but that's also it's never mentioned,too.

Taking this in account,is pretty idiotic a woman accusing HP of publicizing Wicca ( as if that was a crime) even because pure blood families would laugh on the face of a religion created this century,by muggles, based on patches of another religions! :D

Mytly
24-12-06, 18:43
Red Hen has made a good case for all wizards being followers of basically the same religions as their Muggle neighbours, which in British wizards' case would be Christianity. See the essay here (http://www.redhen-publications.com/WizReligion.html).

True, there is no overt reference to God or church in the books, but I think that's mainly because the books are aimed at a worldwide audience, so it's in Rowling's own interest for her to keep the tone as secular as possible. Rowling herself is a Christian, and claims that this fact will be instrumental in the final book. Evidence from the books also points in this direction: the characters celebrate Christmas in a BIG way, and they do seem to have Easter holidays and associated treats (Easter eggs, for instance).

In any case, there is nothing said about any religion except Christianity in all the six books so far, least of all about Wicca, so it's hard to believe anyone could claim that the books are "promoting" Wicca.

Oddchick
28-12-06, 10:37
*jumps into discussion* :D bit off topic but i found this yesterday and wondered if you guys had seen it before or not http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Family_Tree_%28Harry_Potter%29

Ada the Mental
28-12-06, 11:29
Ah yeah.The crazy family tree.All the dates are wrong.
In HP Lexicon's tree,which is supposed to be an exact copy of Rowling's Bellatrix was born when her father was thirteen or something!:vlol:
There other inconsistencies like this!
EDIT:http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8711/blackfamilytreemj2.png

Rivendell
28-12-06, 11:31
Wow! Even if it's incorrect - a Potter in the same pureblood family.

Ada the Mental
28-12-06, 11:36
And a Weasley!Even if they were disowned...

Mytly
28-12-06, 11:42
Wow! Even if it's incorrect - a Potter in the same pureblood family.

Well, James Potter was a pureblood, and all the pureblood families are related, so it's hardly surprising that one turns up on the Black family tree. But just how closely Charlus Potter is related to James - and therefore Harry - is open for speculation.

Ada the Mental
28-12-06, 11:45
The potters could have been quite a big pureblood family.I think that if James and Sirius were second cousins or something apart from friends it'd have been mentioned by now...

Mytly
28-12-06, 11:54
Ah yeah.The crazy family tree.All the dates are wrong.
In HP Lexicon's tree,which is supposed to be an exact copy of Rowling's Bellatrix was born when her father was thirteen or something!:vlol:
There other inconsistencies like this!

From what I recall, it was never meant to be an exact copy. Rowling donated the family tree drawing to a charity auction, and HP Lexicon sent a staff member to the auction to get a look at the drawing and make a copy. So he/she may have made several mistakes while copying, as he/she probably got only a brief look at it.
Of course, given Rowling's terrible command over numbers, I wouldn't be too surprised if the problematic dates were present in the original version as well. ;)

Ada the Mental
28-12-06, 12:00
From what I recall, it was never meant to be an exact copy. Rowling donated the family tree drawing to a charity auction, and HP Lexicon sent a staff member to the auction to get a look at the drawing and make a copy. So he/she may have made several mistakes while copying, as he/she probably got only a brief look at it.
Of course, given Rowling's terrible command over numbers, I wouldn't be too surprised if the problematic dates were present in the original version as well. ;)

Oh,that explains it!

Mytly
28-12-06, 18:41
And a Weasley!Even if they were disowned...
That's probably why Cedrella was disowned - because she married a Weasley. Looks like the Weasleys' blood-traitor ways go back quite far. :D
Btw, Cedrella and Septimus Weasley are almost certainly Arthur's parents - and Ron's grandparents.

Oddchick
28-12-06, 20:51
The potters could have been quite a big pureblood family.I think that if James and Sirius were second cousins or something apart from friends it'd have been mentioned by now...

not necessarily, you don't find out til book 5 that molly and sirius are cousins by marrage. also, theres that whole thing about pure blood families being related ;)

Mytly
29-12-06, 04:48
not necessarily, you don't find out til book 5 that molly and sirius are cousins by marrage. also, theres that whole thing about pure blood families being related ;)
It may not have been mentioned in a general way, but if the Potter on the Black family tapestry was directly related to Harry (like his grandfather or something), then surely Sirius would have pointed it out to Harry when he first showed him the tapestry?
Unless, of course, JKR didn't come up with this full version of the family tree until after OotP was published. ;)
Either way, I don't think that it matters whether the Blacks are related to the Potters - not in a society as small as wizarding Britain, which as per JKR's last estimate, consists of only about 3000 people.

Oddchick
03-01-07, 10:39
no one is posting in this thread anymore :(!

so therefore i've been thinking [dangerous i know;)], and you know what JK said about how we're gunna find out something very important about Lilly? do you think its related to Voldy not wanting to kill her at first? [POA "stand aside girl!"] what do you think ? :D

[sorry if this has been discussed before]

Rivendell
03-01-07, 10:46
I think it might be - especially since she's muggle-born, and usually he would kill her without second thought after calling her Mudblood / something offensive.

Oddchick
03-01-07, 10:49
maybe its linked to snapey somehow..

Ada the Mental
03-01-07, 14:07
I think that Snape might have liked Lily.It would explain a lot of things,such as the hate for James-yeah I know,he bullied him,but at the age of 36 any rational person would have got over that.Not that Snape is exactly rational...:whi:
Also it would make more sense of him to run to Dumbledore and warn him about Voldemort's intentions.
As for Voldie not wanting to kill Lily it could be a small favour for Snape for tipping him off with the Prophecy in the first place...

Oddchick
03-01-07, 16:13
exactly! :D but then, would voldy really give a damn about snape to do a favour like that when it would have been easier for him to just kill lilly?

Mytly
03-01-07, 20:30
Red Hen has a theory (yes, I know I am addicted to that site, and quote way too much from it ;)) that Voldy was hesitant to kill Lily because she was a potions genius, and he hoped to keep her alive and use her talents for his own benefit.
This ties in with the idea that the spells in the Half-Blood Prince's potions book were a collaborative effort between Snape and Lily when they were in school - which makes sense as both were extremely good at potions. Only one of them probably actually wrote them down, as there was only one person's handwriting throughout the book, and that person was probably Lily (remember how Hermione kept insisting throughout HBP that the handwriting in the book looked liked a girl's?)

Oddchick
03-01-07, 20:50
hmmm ahh the posibilities! :D *so excited for book*

Ada the Mental
03-01-07, 23:41
but then, would voldy really give a damn about snape to do a favour like that when it would have been easier for him to just kill lilly?Sudden sense...of kindnes?:vlol:
Red Hen has a theory (yes, I know I am addicted to that site, and quote way too much from it ;)) that Voldy was hesitant to kill Lily because she was a potions genius, and he hoped to keep her alive and use her talents for his own benefit.
This ties in with the idea that the spells in the Half-Blood Prince's potions book were a collaborative effort between Snape and Lily when they were in school - which makes sense as both were extremely good at potions. Only one of them probably actually wrote them down, as there was only one person's handwriting throughout the book, and that person was probably Lily (remember how Hermione kept insisting throughout HBP that the handwriting in the book looked liked a girl's?)
Oh,yeah,I've heard that theory too.Which is quite possible.:tmb: And I've also heard this theory combined with fact that the potion in the cave was green,just like Lily's and Harry's eyes.

Another thing about Snape's book...How on earth did James,and according to Moony in HBP,most of the school know about Levicorpus?Me thinks the Marauders had much too do with this.;)

Oddchick
04-01-07, 17:15
maybe the important thing we find out about lily is linked with the fact that when voldy heard the prophecy, he went after harry's parents rather than neville's parents, thus going after the half blood like himself, rather than a pure blood.

Mytly
05-01-07, 05:30
What exactly could be linked to that? I mean, it was public knowledge that Lily was Muggleborn, and James was pureblood, so obviously their child would be halfblood.

My personal prediction for the Lily-related revelation due in Deathly Hallows:
It will something that turns Harry's view of his mother upside down (as a parallel to the pensieve incident in OotP, which turned his view of his father upside down). Not necessarily in a bad way, though.
We have at least three candidates who could be the source of this revelation: Aunt Petunia, Slughorn and Lupin - that is, three people who knew Lily well.
My bet is on the first two. Aunt Petunia certainly has some information stored away. Remember the scene in OotP when Harry suddenly realizes that Petunia is his mother's sister? That was provoked by a situation when the magic and muggle worlds met, with nearly fatal results (the Dementor attack on Harry and Dudley). So maybe a similar or an even worse such event (a Death Eater attack on No. 4 Privet Drive, perhaps) will provoke Aunt Petunia to speak more about her dead sister.
There's also Slughorn who was dying to talk about Lily, but Harry never gave him the chance - though he shamelessly used Slughorn's affection for Lily in order to get the memory out of him. Maybe, this time, Harry will actually listen to what Slughorn has to say - and I am pretty sure Sluggy has more surprises in store for us.

Rivendell
30-01-07, 22:24
*Waves wand* Threadus Resurrectus!

Ahem. ;)

Anyone else seen the pics of Dan up on mugglenet.com?

Harry Potter like you've Never seen him before. :yik:

Angel666
30-01-07, 22:35
I don't like the Snape loved Lily theory. It's way to cliche for my (and hopefully JKR's) taste. I definately think they had a working relationship as partners in class and maybe were even friends. I'm not sure what to think about Sluggy. My first instict is to not trust him but I don't know.

Mytly
31-01-07, 04:54
*Waves wand* Threadus Resurrectus!

Ahem. ;)
Nice spell. Sorely needed. :D

Anyone else seen the pics of Dan up on mugglenet.com?
*Nods in horror*
Harry Potter like you've Never seen him before. :yik:
:yik: And never will, I hope - as Harry, that is. As Dan, he can do whatever he likes.
Why in the world the pictures are on the Mugglenet site I don't know, considering that they have absolutely nothing to do with HP. :confused:

rewak
31-01-07, 04:59
Link removed. Read the T&C next time about posting sexually oriented material.

Ada the Mental
31-01-07, 12:53
'We as parents feel Daniel should not appear nude. Our nine-year-old son looks up to him as a role model. We are very disappointed and will avoid the future movies he makes
Ok.As very Mytly said very well what the actor does is his own problem,he did this as Dan,not as their 9-year-old daughter's role model which apparently is Radcliff as Harry.I won't start ranting about actors-as-role models etc....

I'm not sure what to think about Sluggy. My first instict is to not trust him but I don't know.
I think he's Ok.My impression is that JK has starting to show in the books that Slytherin=Evil/Gryffindor=Good is not a fact.We were introduced to an apparently OK slytherin character and two insufferable gryffindors(Whaterverishisname MaCLagen and Romilda Vein).And I hope there's more to come because the Gryffindors are good perspective is annoyingly simplistic.

Anti.Enemy
31-01-07, 13:34
Every body! is there going to be a harry potter 5??

Ada the Mental
31-01-07, 13:36
Yup.HP and the Order of the Phoenix.
And HP6 and HP7 and we're currently waiting for the 7th and last(:()book.

Rivendell
31-01-07, 13:40
My friend has just gone to preorder HP7 for me! :D We went to get HP6 together, and we're a right pair of HP nuts :jmp: We might even dress up when for the midnight release thistime :vlol: :D

Shark_Blade
31-01-07, 13:41
:yik: What's with the nude Harry??:eek:

Rivendell
31-01-07, 13:45
It's not Harry! :p

(Unless someone turns that horse into a thestral and gives it the title 'Harry Potter and the Thestral Fetishist' ... :pi: :vlol: )

Ada the Mental
31-01-07, 13:46
My friend has just gone to preorder HP7 for me! :D We went to get HP6 together, and we're a right pair of HP nuts :jmp: We might even dress up when for the midnight release thistime :vlol: :D

:vlol: My best friend is also a HP freak like me.We got told off today at school because we too busy discussing Horcruxes during a Latin test.And dressing up is a very good idea!:tea:
I dragged my mother with me when the 5th and 6th book came out.:vlol:

Shark_Blade
31-01-07, 14:03
I think I will camp out for Harry Potter 7 book. Rumour said that the date will be 07/07/07 . JK rowling too imply in her 6th book that 7 is a magical number, so it could possibly be.

peffect
31-01-07, 15:12
:yik: What's with the nude Harry??:eek:

I'm also shocked!!!

But I don't get it, it's a movie or what?

Rivendell
31-01-07, 15:47
It's a play that's on in London for a short while.

Ada the Mental
31-01-07, 17:09
(Unless someone turns that horse into a thestral and gives it the title 'Harry Potter and the Thestral Fetishist' ... :pi: :vlol: )

I won't be surprised....I've already seen some disturbing Luna Lovegood/Thestral fanart pieces....:pi:

Greenkey2
31-01-07, 17:50
I'm also shocked!!!

But I don't get it, it's a movie or what?

Link removed. It may be wonderful and artistic but it also expressly against our T&C to post links to sexually-related material. Please don't post any more links about it.

peffect
31-01-07, 19:21

tell me more, please.

Rivendell
31-01-07, 19:25
Equus - The Play (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equus_(play)), that tells you about it.

If you'd like info about Dan playing the character in it, then search via google and it gives loads of articles! :wve:

peffect
31-01-07, 19:38
Equus - The Play (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equus_(play)), that tells you about it.

If you'd like info about Dan playing the character in it, then search via google and it gives loads of articles! :wve:

*hugs you*
arigato tomodashi!

Ada the Mental
31-01-07, 19:46
Hey for anyone interesting here's a David Yates interview:http://www.immeritus.org/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=282 Doesn't say much about the OotP....:(

Angel666
02-02-07, 01:49
Release date of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows has been set for: July 21, 2007. :D

http://www.mugglenet.com/

Blackmoor
02-02-07, 04:51
About a week after the release of the OotP film. Good timing! We can all watch that ready for release of the Deathly Hallows.

I can't wait. We actually get to find out everything at last... what happens to Harry, why the Lily's "eyes" connection, what motivates Snape really, what happens to Hogwarts now there's no Dumbledore, the Horcruxes and how Harry finally gets Voldemort...

:D :D :D

I hope it's a huge read, at least the size that OotP book was.

Mytly
02-02-07, 05:01
JKRowling.com was updated today with news (http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en/news_view.cfm?id=97) that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will be released on Saturday, July 21st, 2007, one week after the fifth movie hits theaters.
The hardcover will sell for $34.99 with the deluxe edition fetching $65.00. These high prices could mean the book will be longer than any of the previous six.
:jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp: :jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp:
Less than six months to go! :yah:
*Tries to do cartwheels*
*Remembers that she is completely acrobatically challenged and falls flat on her face*
:cln:

Shark_Blade
02-02-07, 05:44
lol deathly? JK needs to learn vocabulary. Is't it suposed to be deadly? oh well, I'm glad we'll be getting the final book

Rivendell
02-02-07, 07:16
^ Dictionary: Deathly (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=deathly) ;)

I hope they're right and it's absolutely HUGE! :D

Lost Angel 21
02-02-07, 10:16
I'll be in Baltimore with my friend when it comes out...but at least I have something else to look forward to when I go back home...we'll probably see who can finish it first.

Ada the Mental
02-02-07, 12:10
:yah: :yah: :yah: :yah: :yah:
A date at last!!!!!
"...longer than the other six...":cln: i was so disappointed that HBP was so much shorter than OttP!

Rivendell
03-02-07, 08:48
Helpline for readers of Book 7

Waterstone's has announced plans to set up a special helpline for fans after Deathly Hallows comes out this summer. JKR revealed in June that two more characters would die (who she hadn't intended on dying), and the UK book chain says "this could be a similar moment to when Take That split up - there could be a lot of upset teenagers out there. We are looking to set up a helpline for them."

On semi-related notes: The article mentions that Jo delivered the manuscript "recently" to Bloomsbury. Also, JKR is currently "busy editing," according to CBBC.

Lavinder
03-02-07, 09:17
LOL

It sounds funny but I can imagine all the emo's turning more suicidal. Harry Potter effects me alot, I could not read HBP again for about a year because it was so upsetting -blush- :p But I don't think it would get to the point of me needing a helpline :vlol:

xcrushterx
03-02-07, 09:24
A help line Lol:vlol:
I can't wait for this book. I hope it's massive:). I was dissapointed in the size of book 6:(

Ada the Mental
03-02-07, 16:18
Helpline!:vlol:OMG!
I could imagne that:"JK!How dare you kill off X Character!*sob*As if it was not enough that Sirius and Dumbledore kicked the bucket now this character died too!I haaaaate youuuuuuu!"*scream*
So who do you think will die?And how many will they die?
(Grrrrrrrr!Lupin had better survive Jo's massacre or I think JK will need to find a refuge.:mis:)

Blackmoor
03-02-07, 17:10
The only one's I'll get upset about dying are... Ron, Hermione (either of those is too sad), and possibly Mrs Weasley. :(

All the others are too minor as characters or I don't like them much so they deserve it, lol. :mis:

Hagrid might be a sad one but he's so often a cartoony comical character that I don't know if I'd feel it.

I think either Hermione or Ron might die but not both.

Is it really mean to hope some of those Weasley's get thinned out? :o

On the dark side, I think Snape will go and Voldemort, Bellatrix and Malfoy's family.

Rivendell
03-02-07, 17:14
Does anyone think there's redemption to be had for Draco?

I really felt sorry for him in HBP, those last few chapters were so well written - you could feel the struggle inside him when he was facing Dumbledore.

Geck-o-Lizard
03-02-07, 17:17
SNAPE MUST NOT DIE. http://img346.imageshack.us/img346/6030/uhohpk9.gif

All the other characters... hey, it'd be fun to have the final chapter done Unreal Tournament style... Flak cannons only. ;)

Ada the Mental
03-02-07, 17:22
Does anyone think there's redemption to be had for Draco?

I really felt sorry for him in HBP, those last few chapters were so well written - you could feel the struggle inside him when he was facing Dumbledore.

The only chapters I actually liked the Malfoy brat.I used to really dislike him as a villain.Too flat and boring.

Rivendell
03-02-07, 17:24
All the other characters... hey, it'd be fun to have the final chapter done Unreal Tournament style... Flak cannons only. ;)

Like the Battle in the Ministry, only with characters we know - as opposed to lots of random Death Eaters! :D

Ampersand
03-02-07, 17:25

LOL, same here. Harry and co can be annihilated (and good riddance as far as Harry goes), but if Snape dies I'm going round to Rowling's with a torch and pitchfork. :pi:

Lost Angel 21
03-02-07, 17:39
I'm going to be ****ed if Snape dies. The Trio can die for all I care, but the rest of my summer's going to be miserable if Snape dies...

Geck-o-Lizard
03-02-07, 17:43
Or if he turns into a goodie-goodie. That's what ruins A Christmas Carol for me! Scrooge is so badass until he turns good. :vlol:

Best, least likely scenario: it turns out Snape is the evil mastermind behind everything. :mis:
Best, more likely scenario: Snape turns out not to be on the good or evil side, and leaves the battle unscathed.
Worst likely scenario: Harry kills Snape.
Worst possible scenario: Pigwidgeon kills Snape by flying into his mouth and choking him.

Angel666
03-02-07, 17:45

I couldn't agree more. That gives me the best mental picture ever. :D :jmp:

Blackmoor
03-02-07, 18:46
Euwgh no, you Snape Lovers, Snape must die, DIE!! And in a manner that pays him back for all those rotten things he's done to Harry over the years. I can't think how, but I'm sure JK will sort him out. :mis: :D

I see begging involved though, lol. :D

Mytly
03-02-07, 20:33
I think JKR will need a helpline more than her fans ... or more likely a team of highly-paid psychiatrists ... to help her deal with the trauma of receiving a couple of million death threats from enraged fans for killing off certain characters ... :cln:

Is it really mean to hope some of those Weasley's get thinned out? :o
Not mean at all. They are overpopulating the planet. *shoots random Weasleys* :mis:
Seriously though, I am pretty sure at least one Weasley - probably two - will kick the bucket. It's highly unlikely that a family of 9 people (10 if Fleur joins the family early on in the book) would survive the war unscathed. My money's on Charlie (as the expendable one), and maybe one of the twins. Wouldn't it be horrible if only one of the twins died? Considering that we have never seen them apart, and they almost function like one person. :(

Mytly
03-02-07, 20:37
Or if he turns into a goodie-goodie. That's what ruins A Christmas Carol for me! Scrooge is so badass until he turns good. :vlol:

I am pretty sure Snape is going to turn out to be a good guy ... not that I want him to, but that really does seem to be where JKR is heading. :(
Worst possible scenario: Pigwidgeon kills Snape by flying into his mouth and choking him.
Or he trips over Crookshanks and breaks his neck ... :cln:

Ada the Mental
03-02-07, 22:01
I think that from the weasleys that stupid moron Percy will become a Death eater.He's too ambitious not to join the bright-errr,sorry!-dark side.

Also I'm so sure Snape will be proved to be a good guy I almost wish he'll remain "evil".He'll do something and prove his innocence nd then the ministry will forgive him for murdering Dumbledore.

In the meantime Wormtail will sacrifice himself to save Harry.In a Gollum way.I've always thought that the way Dumbledore said to harry that it was good he didn't let Sirius and Remus kill Pettigrew off was similar to Gandalf telling Frodo it was good Bilbo never pitied and did not kill Gollum.
And there's the whole he owes you your life thing.

Oddchick
03-02-07, 22:14
i hope snapey doesn't die, i love him to bits ! :D

and omg at the release date!! i had a major spaz just now to everyone on msn when i read the post on here ANNNNNNNNNND its in the summer holidays, meaning i can't get it spoiled for me! [cuz basically, i'm not leaving the house til i've finished it! hehe ]

smilie overload : :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Mytly
03-02-07, 22:24
In the meantime Wormtail will sacrifice himself to save Harry.In a Gollum way.I've always thought that the way Dumbledore said to harry that it was good he didn't let Sirius and Remus kill Pettigrew off was similar to Gandalf telling Frodo it was good Bilbo never pitied and did not kill Gollum.
And there's the whole he owes you your life thing.
Exactly. When I reread PoA for the first time after finishing LotR, that was my first thought on reading that scene - that Pettigrew will play a similar role as Gollum's in the end.

lorien elf
04-02-07, 05:15
I really hope it's longer than OoTP, as I guess that was the longest, or close to anyway. And, I'm glad it's coming out this year, rather than later of course. Hehe, about the helpline. Like someone already said, I'd be surprised if JKR didn't get any death threats from killing off any likeable characters. She said she'd go after the main ones, so might be Hermione, as was speculated before. I agreed, that it would be the worst to kill her or Ron. They're cute. I wouldn't like it if Harry died so much, but easy to get over, like Dumbledore's death was. Good mention of the twins. I liked them too... and Bill. I hope the Weasley's don't kick the bucket, but Percy's a good choice if one has to. :)

I can't wait to see what's the significance of Lily's eyes and if Snape lives. I liked him better than Tom Riddle; can't wait to see how V. dies, of course.

Blackmoor
04-02-07, 07:02
Not mean at all. They are overpopulating the planet. *shoots random Weasleys* :mis:
Seriously though, I am pretty sure at least one Weasley - probably two - will kick the bucket. It's highly unlikely that a family of 9 people (10 if Fleur joins the family early on in the book) would survive the war unscathed. My money's on Charlie (as the expendable one), and maybe one of the twins. Wouldn't it be horrible if only one of the twins died? Considering that we have never seen them apart, and they almost function like one person. :(I can't imagine Fred without George and vice versa. I wonder if they'll still be jokers at the end of it or whether they'll be matured by what's happened.

I think that from the weasleys that stupid moron Percy will become a Death eater.He's too ambitious not to join the bright-errr,sorry!-dark side.A confrontation with the Dark Lord would definitely knock that arrogant ambitious attitude he has a bit... :mis: But would he go over to the Dark side?? Possibly, if he could justify it as "doing the right thing" in his mind, I think. Could be very interesting seeing what develops with Percy. :D

----
I think most of the Aurora's have to go too. Judging by previous confrontations with Death Eaters, they're not very good at what they do are they? I can't remember them capturing a single one... at the Minstry Dumbledore bagged them all, and at Hogwarts didn't they all get away? (Or maybe one was killed, I can't remember)

Ada the Mental
04-02-07, 16:42
I can't imagine Fred without George and vice versa. I wonder if they'll still be jokers at the end of it or whether they'll be matured by what's happened.
I can't imagine them without one onother,oo.I'd hate it if one of them died.

I think most of the Aurora's have to go too. Judging by previous confrontations with Death Eaters, they're not very good at what they do are they? I can't remember them capturing a single one... at the Minstry Dumbledore bagged them all, and at Hogwarts didn't they all get away? (Or maybe one was killed, I can't remember)

Well after the batte at the Ministry of Magic only Dumbledore,Harry,Lupin and Neville were still standing if I remember correctly.Tonks and Kingsley wre both taken out by Bellatrix and Moody was temporalily knocked out.
After the battle at Hogwarts you're right one Death Eater got killed and all the others escaped.So yes.Aurors seem to be pretty useless.

Blackmoor
10-02-07, 20:49
Which are people most excited about, a new Tomb Raider or OotP film, or Harry Potter 7 book? :D

My order is - HP7, TR:A, OotP film...

Lavinder
10-02-07, 20:54
HP7, OotP film then TR:A for me :D

I don't care if anyone else dies, just leave Hermione and Ron alone :mad: :p

Mytly
10-02-07, 20:54
Which are people most excited about, a new Tomb Raider or OotP film, or Harry Potter 7 book? :D

My order is - HP7, TR:A, OotP film...
Same order here. :D
HP7 and TRA are pretty close contenders, but HP7 wins out by a just a little bit. :jmp:
But the OotP film is a pretty poor third for me - I like the HP films, but they are just fun extras. I really wouldn't have cared if the films had never been made ... as long as I have my books, I am happy. ;)

Rivendell
10-02-07, 22:06
Same order for me too, HP7>TRA>Ootp Film.

I just don't want it to end though! I can tell once I read the final word and slowly close the book, I'll be sat there in a calm state of disbelief for a few minutes.

lorien elf
10-02-07, 22:48
^Heh, same here. I can imagine that she'll wrap it up well, but I still won't be happy that it's over. So it will take a while for that to sink in. That there's no more. I'm actually most excited about the book, those come first. And then the film actually and lastly the Anniversary ed.

Rivendell
11-02-07, 08:27
Dumbledore: back (in some form) in Book 7

The Times Online and The Observer have both released new interviews with the Harry Potter actor.

Of particular interest to book fans, the latter website provides an interesting experience Dan had with Jo during one of her OOTP set visits:

"Jo came down to the set at one point and I said, "Oh hello, why are you here today?" And she said, "Oh I just needed a break from the book - Dumbledore's giving me a lot of trouble." And I said, "But isn't he dead?" And she said, "Well, yeah, but it's more complex ..." I was like, [briskly] "OK, I'm not gonna ask anything else!""

Oo, the plot thickens.

Ada the Mental
11-02-07, 08:35
Was just reading the thing about DD.:jmp::jmp::jmp:
Could it have something to do with DD's portrait?I've always thought of that.

My order is HP7>OotP>Linkin Park's new album>TRA.

Rivendell
11-02-07, 08:36
I think the portrait too! He's still going to be able to talk to Harry really.

(Btw have you seen the TR:A cover?)

Ada the Mental
11-02-07, 08:38
:yik:Not yet!Haven't logged in since yesterday afternoon!*runs off to check*

Blackmoor
11-02-07, 09:20
I've wondered about the portrait too and how much it'll be able to help Harry. Do the portrait's know everything the real people did before they died?? I mean they're not exactly the same are they?

Ada the Mental
11-02-07, 09:27
I remember JKR saying that the portraits are not exactly a 3d personality.Giving an example of Mrs Black portrait.So I guess they wouldn't know too much.
I'll try to find the quote.

Blackmoor
11-02-07, 10:35
I remember JKR saying that the portraits are not exactly a 3d personality.Giving an example of Mrs Black portrait.So I guess they wouldn't know too much.
I'll try to find the quote.:tmb: That makes sense. I mean they can't have Dumbledore in his picture exactly as he was before or else it'll be like he's not really dead at all.

And... I want Harry, Hermione and Ron to sort the next bit out all on their own. Like when Frodo and Sam leave the rest of the Fellowship behind in LotR. The Quest steps up a gear... :D

But the OotP film is a pretty poor third for me - I like the HP films, but they are just fun extras. I like the films a lot, but nothing like as much as the books. All the films seem to need to be twice as long as they are to me. How anyone who hasn't read the books understands what's happening, I don't know. And they don't give enough time to build a story, it's one event after another - bang, bang, bang. Still it is nice to see Hogwarts and Hogsmeade... and Hagrid's hut, and everything... :)

Mytly
11-02-07, 11:02
I think the portraits, in general, are just a sort of impression of the person's basic traits, but they can't really give any new information, or think for themselves. But there might bit more to the Headmasters' portraits, as they are supposed to help and advise the current Headmaster. :pi:

As for JKR saying that Dumbledore was giving her trouble ... I think that might have something to do with DD's own backstory. Think about it, what exactly do we know about DD's personal life or history? Practically nothing more than was mentioned on his chocolate frog card in the first book. I think that just as we had a "history lesson" in HBP about Tom Riddle's life, in DH, we will learn more about Albus Dumbledore, probably via the pensieve too (with the relevant memories left for Harry by DD in his will). This probably won't be quite such a long exposition as it was in HBP, but it will certainly contain some vital information for Harry. Also, it will be a good way to see DD in person again (almost in person, anyway ;)).

And... I want Harry, Hermione and Ron to sort the next bit out all on their own. Like when Frodo and Sam leave the rest of the Fellowship behind in LotR. The Quest steps up a gear... :D
Yet another HP-LotR parrallel! :eek:
Will they be helped / hindered along the way by a Gollum-like character? :pi:

Blackmoor
11-02-07, 11:16
Yet another HP-LotR parrallel! :eek:
Will they be helped / hindered along the way by a Gollum-like character? :pi:Peter Pettigrew? He's the most Gollum-ish character for me. And Harry saved his life and DD said that made him in Harry's debt so there's a twist there possibly. Or somehow Malfoy...

Otherwise it'd have to be someone new, someone we haven't seen before.

I like that idea. I'd like book 7 to have plots within plots that all tie up at the end. HP7 should have its own villian, as well as resolving the outcome of Snape, Malfoy and Voldemort, etc.

Personally that's where I found HP6 to be weakened. There wasn't a book 6 specific villain.

Mytly
11-02-07, 12:22
Peter Pettigrew? He's the most Gollum-ish character for me. And Harry saved his life and DD said that made him in Harry's debt so there's a twist there possibly. Or somehow Malfoy...
Draco Malfoy might be a parallel to Gollum, in that the trio might have to work with him at some point, without really trusting him. (Also, can't you just imagine Ron's unconcealed dislike towards him, just like Sam's towards Gollum? :D)
As for Pettigrew, yes, I certainly see a parallel between him and Gollum - especially in the fact that Harry allowed him to live (just as Frodo did for Gollum), and finally something that Pettigrew does, though essentially selfish, might wind up saving Harry's life, or even the whole quest (just as when Gollum goes after the Ring in the Cracks of Doom).

Blackmoor
11-02-07, 12:56
Draco Malfoy might be a parallel to Gollum, in that the trio might have to work with him at some point, without really trusting him. (Also, can't you just imagine Ron's unconcealed dislike towards him, just like Sam's towards Gollum? :D)Yes that'd be hilarious and I suppose it is possible that Harry might trust Malfoy slightly after seeing him dither on the tower... knowing that he wasn't going to kill DD, and feeling a bit sorry for the position he was put in by Voldemort. But the dynamics can never be exactly the same as Sam and Frodo because Hermione is there too, keeping everyone in line usually. :D

I can though hear Ron saying to Harry something similar to (Sam in LotR) - "Don't you know who you sound like?" as his hatred for Voldemort and Snape intensifies as they hunt for the Horcruxes and he seeks vengenance for DD...

And in fact I can't see how Harry is going to kill these people unless he has a serious change in personna. I don't think he's tough enough, although I suppose he could do it "accidently" whilst defending himself. I definitely can't see him as an "executioner" style of killer, which seeking out Voldemort and Snape to murder them is all about.

Ada the Mental
12-02-07, 12:23
I like the films a lot, but nothing like as much as the books. All the films seem to need to be twice as long as they are to me. How anyone who hasn't read the books understands what's happening, I don't know. And they don't give enough time to build a story, it's one event after another - bang, bang, bang. Still it is nice to see Hogwarts and Hogsmeade... and Hagrid's hut, and everything... :)
I always feel way too disappointed after a HP film.But still I can't prevent myself from feeling excited before.Especially for OotP,it's my fave!:D
But as you said there's not enough time for story development and many people really don't get what's going on.PoA,while visually amazing was the most poorly explained,IMO.The book was practically butchered.My brother and sister had much trouble working out the relation between Sirius,Lupin,Pettigrew and Harry's parents.But that might have something to do with their IQ...:whi:

As for JKR saying that Dumbledore was giving her trouble ... I think that might have something to do with DD's own backstory. Think about it, what exactly do we know about DD's personal life or history? Practically nothing more than was mentioned on his chocolate frog card in the first book. I think that just as we had a "history lesson" in HBP about Tom Riddle's life, in DH, we will learn more about Albus Dumbledore, probably via the pensieve too (with the relevant memories left for Harry by DD in his will). This probably won't be quite such a long exposition as it was in HBP, but it will certainly contain some vital information for Harry. Also, it will be a good way to see DD in person again (almost in person, anyway ;)).
:jmp: I'd love to know more about Dumbledore.There was almost no info about him in the books.
I hope we'll also see a bit of Grindelwald-whatever the dark wizard DD beat was called.

Draco as Gollum?:vlol: The thought of having to work with Malfoy always crossed my mind but HP's Gollum has always been Wormtail for me.

I've also been thinking what JKR might write after HP is finished.Do you think she'll continue another series in the same universe?I don't think I could drop it if I were her.

Blackmoor
12-02-07, 18:31
I always feel way too disappointed after a HP film.But still I can't prevent myself from feeling excited before.Especially for OotP,it's my fave!:D
But as you said there's not enough time for story development and many people really don't get what's going on.PoA,while visually amazing was the most poorly explained,IMO.The book was practically butchered.My brother and sister had much trouble working out the relation between Sirius,Lupin,Pettigrew and Harry's parents.But that might have something to do with their IQ...:whi:Lol, Ada. Trust me it isn't your brother and sister's IQ... I was just watching this film the other day and the way they play the relationships between Sirius, Lupin, Wormtail, etc is really confusing. Lupin goes on and on about how Harry's mother saw his inner beauty or something... it's like she's his old school buddy, not Harry's dad. Which then makes the reunion between him and Sirius just bizzarre... like wtf is going on? How do these people even know each other!

It's a shame because there are some very, very good bits in PoA.

When I first watched it everyone raved about how much better than the first two HP films it was and I couldn't see it. But now, watching it again recently, I can see what they mean... I think the Director tried to make a film that stands on it's own and not just as an episode in the HP franchise, if you know what I mean.

But anyway, despite their "flaws" I can't help loving the HP films too, and I'm really looking forward to OotP. "Hem hem" woman is one of my all time favourite villains ever. She's evil. Luna is one of my favourite HP characters. And I cannot wait to see The Archway (with creepy, fluttery curtain...) at the department of mysteries.

*oooh, all excited*

:D :D

Rivendell
12-02-07, 20:39
http://www.mugglenet.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/aberforth.jpg
Guess who?

"Oo-Ahr, where be them loverly goats then? :mis:"

Mytly
13-02-07, 05:05
Guess who?
Aberforth, at the Hog's Head! He's actually in the movie?! :eek: I am very surprised and very, very happy! :jmp:
I have a soft spot for poor ol' Abe - it can't have been easy being the brother of such an overachiever like Albus. My theory is that Aberforth did whatever it was he did to the goats just to get his parents to pay a moment's attention to him instead of focusing on their little genius, Albus. (Obviously, the plan went a little awry, and Abe got more attention than he intended. ;))

"Oo-Ahr, where be them loverly goats then? :mis:"

Ada the Mental
13-02-07, 12:16
Aberforth!:yah:
Yeah,Mytly,I agree Abe is just a little misunderstood.
Hmmm...A pretty minor character (so far) to be included in the movie.Could it mean something?:whi:

Lol, Ada. Trust me it isn't your brother and sister's IQ... I was just watching this film the other day and the way they play the relationships between Sirius, Lupin, Wormtail, etc is really confusing. Lupin goes on and on about how Harry's mother saw his inner beauty or something... it's like she's his old school buddy, not Harry's dad. Which then makes the reunion between him and Sirius just bizzarre... like wtf is going on? How do these people even know each other!
Exactly what I'm talking about.My sister in particular was stuck with impression that Lily was Lupin's girlfriend.:vlol:
Anyway,if I ignore the book vs movie comparison PoA is definitely my favourite of the four so far.As you said it stands on its own,it's different.

xcrushterx
13-02-07, 12:59
WHo do you think wrote that note that was inside the locket in HBP. I personally think it's Sirius's brother.

Blackmoor
14-02-07, 17:48
Got to be Sirius's brother hasn't it unless JK was getting us all going for nothing. :mis:

I wonder what else Regulus knew and did... maybe they'll find a letter to Sirius somewhere in Grimmauld Place explaining more.

I really want to know what the significance of Lily's eyes is. I hope it's something amazing because the way it's been hyped in the books and films, nothing less than far out amazing is going to do.

And what the other horcruxes are...
And what Godric's Hollow is like...
And what are the Deathly Hallows...
And whether Harry actually does go back to Hogwarts and gets his Newts...

And who'll be the new Head Teacher... :eek:

Mytly
17-02-07, 10:26
Check out the "Found in Translation" series of articles on Mugglenet Editorials (http://www.mugglenet.com/editorials/) - they make for very interesting reading, and are a refreshing change from the constant speculation about Book 7. :D
However, I found the basic premise of the articles a bit strange:
It started with the very title of the first book in the series. What British publisher Bloomsbury was willing to print as Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone became for all time, but only in America, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. It was the process of “translating” the Harry Potter books from their original British English into a language that American readers were expected to understand. At first blush, this seems a bizarre thing to do. Both the Brits and the Yanks read English, don’t they? But as an American reader, I have found plenty of words and concepts in the Harry Potter books, even in their “Americanized” version, that called for a stretch of the imagination. Same language, different worlds.
It isn’t only because the British have different words for things that we all talk about in our own way. They have words for things Americans don’t talk about at all. At times, it is a challenge for us to come up with a mental picture of something mentioned in the books, such as a dish served in the Great Hall.
Do American fans of HP have as much trouble with the British words and concepts in the books as this writer implies? :confused: I mean, I understand that certain British customs - like say, Christmas pudding - may not be practised by Americans, but surely they have heard of them?

xMiSsCrOfTx
17-02-07, 11:43
Do American fans of HP have as much trouble with the British words and concepts in the books as this writer implies? :confused: I mean, I understand that certain British customs - like say, Christmas pudding - may not be practised by Americans, but surely they have heard of them?

It's not like we're mentally challenged. :p Of course we can put two and two together and get the general meanings of things we may not say or do in the US. I'm obsessed with England though, so I'm pretty good with those kinds of phrases and understanding their meanings. :D

Bonez
17-02-07, 11:47
I hadn't thought about that before.. Probably because i'm English.

I hadn't thought about how different countries may have different words for the 'english' tho... I thought they edited it.

Blackmoor
22-02-07, 14:53
I love Borders bookshop's marketing teaser for HP7... with free stickers.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1191847/snape2.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1191847/snape.jpg

Hehehe, although surely they're gonna have mountains of those purple stickers left afterwards? :whi: :D

Ada the Mental
22-02-07, 19:44
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t96/AdatheGrey/youngsnape.jpg
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t96/AdatheGrey/youngmartrio.jpg
I couldn't wait to see a pic of the Marauders but I'm pretty disappointed....
And where's Moony?
I wish they were wearing real robes instead of that uniform.Hanging upside down showing my dirty pants is certainly more dramatic than hanging upside down showing my nice pair of trousers.

Tonks
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t96/AdatheGrey/normal_tonks-1.jpg
Hmmm....Doesn't really look like I imagined her....Like most of the cast!lol

Rivendell
22-02-07, 19:56
Heh I know where you're coming from Ada!

Saw that pic of Tonks before, and thought - "... Wow, she looks so perfect! (ly nothing like I'd imagined.. :pi:"

Blackmoor
22-02-07, 20:44
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t96/AdatheGrey/youngmartrio.jpg
Is that meant to be Sirius and Harry's dad at the front? They don't look cool enough or pretty enough. I thought Sirius especially was supposed to be really gorgeous. Harry's dad looks like a nerd instead of the school's arrogant, scruffy haired Quidditch king.

I think they got the Wormtail kid right though.

Rivendell
22-02-07, 20:46
Indeed Bmoor, Sirius looks as though he's about to vom. :(

Blackmoor
22-02-07, 21:20
Maybe they'll look better closer up, or on the big screen... although Harry's dad looks simply WRONG.

In my mind's eye, I always saw Sirius and James as the cool sixth formers who the younger kids are in awe of... Who lounge around like they own the place, y'know?

What is it you don't like about the Tonks they've chosen? I was expecting her to have short pink hair and look more punky, more quirky, personally... but this one seems OK. She has very "witchy" eyes, if that makes sense. :D

xMiSsCrOfTx
22-02-07, 21:21
Ahh! The young Marauders look UGLY as hell! :yik:

Oh, btw, is the cover art for the new book out yet? I saw a picture online earlier today at school, and it looked reddish..? Just wanted to clarify if that's legit or not. :)

peeves
22-02-07, 21:31
Are you looking forward to seeing the Order of the Phoenix movie? I bet it'll be really exciting.

Lavinder
22-02-07, 22:12
For some really strange reason I have always imagined Tonks to look exactly like Greenkey :D

the hooliganz
23-02-07, 02:20
i really can't wait for the Deathly Hallows book and the Order of the Phoenix, and i can't wait for the cho chang and harry kissing scene

Mytly
23-02-07, 05:11
Is that meant to be Sirius and Harry's dad at the front? They don't look cool enough or pretty enough. I thought Sirius especially was supposed to be really gorgeous. Harry's dad looks like a nerd instead of the school's arrogant, scruffy haired Quidditch king.

I think they got the Wormtail kid right though.
You're right - they look nothing like I'd imagined either. They look like the nerdiest kids in the school rather than the coolest. :(
The Snape kid looks better than the Marauders - in spite of the greasy hair. :rolleyes:

For some really strange reason I have always imagined Tonks to look exactly like Greenkey :D
I wonder whether she will feel flattered or insulted ... :pi:

the hooliganz
23-02-07, 11:29
have they realesed the cover for Deathly Hallows, sorry, i'm late for the updates, i cant wait

Ada the Mental
23-02-07, 12:48
Ahh! The young Marauders look UGLY as hell! :yik:

Oh, btw, is the cover art for the new book out yet? I saw a picture online earlier today at school, and it looked reddish..? Just wanted to clarify if that's legit or not. :)
I've heard nothing about the cover yet!
I personally can't wait to hear how will the the book's title be translated in Greek.I'm getting the book in English,anyway but it might be some clue in the translation.

What is it you don't like about the Tonks they've chosen? I was expecting her to have short pink hair and look more punky, more quirky, personally... but this one seems OK. She has very "witchy" eyes, if that makes sense. :D
Well that's pretty subjective.Her hair is just wrong,IMO.That's not a photo from the movie,so she might be ok,in the end.

But the Marauders look really bad,IMO.Ok I can deal with fact that Sirius doesn't look handsome enough(:whi: :() but James looks like a pure nerd.The neat,brown hair's awful.It's as if they complete ignore the charers; descriptions when they cast the actors.Nevermind....

Wormtail looks ok,though.(I really hope that's Wormtail and not Lupin.:yik:)

Mytly
23-02-07, 20:21
Saw that pic of Tonks before, and thought - "... Wow, she looks so perfect! (ly nothing like I'd imagined.. :pi:"
Tonks doesn't look at all like I had imagined her either. :(
Doesn't this woman look somewhat older than Tonks is supposed to be? :confused: