PDA

View Full Version : The General Harry Potter thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Real Life Raider
15-07-07, 00:49
why were the prophecies made in the first place? o_O

The Department Of Mysteries contains things that the Magical World cannot explain: like time, death, the human brain and....prophesies. Therefore every single prophesy ever made is stored there until a time when prophesy is better understood.

Jake Croft
15-07-07, 01:11
No, Nat Tena is very attractive...esp. as Tonks!
Haha i thought i was the only one glad im not :D

Blackmoor
15-07-07, 01:11
*Possible OotP spoilers*

I watched OotP today and thought that in some ways the best film of the lot, but in other ways not so.

The acting was 20,000 times better than normal. In most ways the script was more real and believable, but... I thought they could have built up the tension better.

I loved it at the beginning when Dudley and Harry are running along the edge of the field. Very panicky, a very real sense of danger. I've always thought the Harry Potter films should have had this kind of raw edge to them. The dementor attack was also excellent and quite scary.

Bits like this were brilliant. Especially when contrasted with personal moments (which I thought were handled quite well and sensitively) like the Cho bit and the Harry, Ron and Hermione's special laughing moment.

But the over-arching story felt weak to me. They didn't create a feeling of mystery of what was in the secret room and why Harry was having visions. There wasn't a need in the audience to see what it was that was tormenting Harry and what on earth was in there that was so important to Voldemort. Instead they focused on DA's and Professor Umbridge. Personally I thought that was a mistake because it left the film feeling a bit aimless.

I also thought that although Imelda Staunton is a good actor, the role of Umbridge could have been done much better. When I first read OotP the genius of Umbridge for me was that she seems a mostly harmless busy body at first, it is only as the story progresses that the full evilness and importance of Umbridge is revealed. Imelda's portrayal was formidable from the start. No-one would have been fooled by those pink clothes and kitten plates with her.

I guess it's the time thing as usual. The films don't have the time to do justice with the material. There's never time for a slow simmer, it's straight to full boil after the (considerable) time it takes just to explain what is going on...

Overall though, I thought the Director and writer did well, and I enjoyed the film. :tmb:

Too late now, but I do wish though the HP films had had a different Dumbledore. I don't think either of the one's we've had have done the book Dumbledore justice at all.

Luna was very very good, so was Bellatrix. I'm looking forward to seeing more of both in the future. The main characters generally are really fitting well together now I think. It looks good for the next two films, although... I have a feeling that they ought to do the HP7 film in two parts. :tmb:

Real Life Raider
15-07-07, 01:25
Fantastic review there Blackmoor! I agree 100%

Obviously the screen writers had to do a hatchet job on the book but what was left was pure gold and I especially liked the way the ending was handled.

Looking forward to the DvD release now! :jmp:

AmericanAssassin
15-07-07, 04:06
I think the beginning of OotP was rushed, especially Grimmauld Place, I thought a lot more happen there, but hey, I guess they have to cut a lot out.

True, but they had to fit the rediculously short time frame that Warner Bros. sets for them...

Does anyone think Umbridge's outfits get worse and worse throughout the film?

I thought they did an amazing job with Umbridge. She wasn't nearly fat enough, but she was still great.

WOW! Definitely[SIZE=2] the best HP film yet!

I agree, however, I missed a lot of the content they cut out. :(

gtkilla
15-07-07, 05:01
Just saw it an hour ago and....it's not all that. Goblet of Fire is still the best, IMO, Prisoner of Azkaban is second best, and Order of the Phoenix is third. The ending to OotP was so anti-climatic. Wasn't all that great. Overall, I give it a 7.5.

Dixie
15-07-07, 05:43
O....M....G!!!! CHAPTER TITLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*MAJOR, MAJOR, MAJOR!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

*BEWARE!!!!!!!!*

*LAST CHANCE TO LOOK AWAY!!!!*

There are thirty-six chapters and an Epilogue.

>>>
1. The Dark Lord Ascending.
2. In Memoriam
3. The Dursleys Departing
4. The Seven Potters
5. Fallen Warrior
6. The Ghoul in Pajamas
7. The Will of Albus Dumbledore
8. The Wedding
9. A Place to Hide.
10. Kreacher's Tale
11. The Bribe
12. Magic is Might
13. The Muggle-born Registration Commission
14. The Thief
15. The Goblin's Revenge
16. Godric's Hollow
17. Bathilda's Secret
18. The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore
19. The Silver Doe.
20. Xenophilius Lovegood
21. The Tale of Three Brothers.
22. The Deathly Hallows
23. Malfoy Manor
24. The Wandmaker.
25. Shell Cottage.
26. Gringotts
27. The Final Hiding Place
28. The Missing Mirror.
29. The Lost Diadem.
30. The Sacking of Severus Snape.
31. The Battle of Hogwarts
32. The Elder Wand.
33. The Prince's Tale.
34. The Forest Again.
35. King's Cross
36. The Flaw in the Plan.
Epilogue.

<<<<<<

more spoilers...

The page with the dedication is...longer than usual. I think it is the dedication page...It is the page after the last table of contents page. There is a paragraph towards the bottom...the first word is "Death" but thats all I can make out.

The source also has summaries on EVERY CHAPTER. I'm not going to read them though.

I don't think I'm technically allowed to post a link to the source though.

BTW- These are REAL. The table of contents pages were scanned directly from the American edition.

Dark Lugia 2
15-07-07, 09:04
Is it just me who found Tonks attractive in a weird way... o_0!

I know what you mean, she's puuuurdy :p XD well, she's pretty I can say :p

Rivendell
15-07-07, 10:01
Wow Dixie, talk about spoilerific! :eek:

I just read the title of the first chapter.. Bloody hell, I can't WAIT to read that.

ThomasCroft
15-07-07, 10:06
The Department Of Mysteries contains things that the Magical World cannot explain: like time, death, the human brain and....prophesies. Therefore every single prophesy ever made is stored there until a time when prophesy is better understood.

So bascially a prophecy is produced just because it is? :confused:

Why did Voldemort want it so badly? < I have an idea but please could someone explain it to me?

Rivendell
15-07-07, 10:14
Why did Voldemort want it so badly? < I have an idea but please could someone explain it to me?

If I remember right: Voldemort heard part of the prophecy when Harry was a baby, then went off to kill him, believing that it'd fulfil that prophecy. When he nearly died as a result, gradually gaining power until GoF, he then wanted the Prophecy in its entirety to know what went wrong.

I think.

ThomasCroft
15-07-07, 10:21
^ Ohhh. So how did he hear the prophecy when Harry was a baby? I thought only the person who the prophecy was about could retrieve it.

Sorry about all these questions.

Ada the Mental
15-07-07, 10:44
OMG Dixie! I came across those spoilers as well, I bookmarked the page to check them after finishing the book but of course I wasn't mad enough to read the summaries.
Honestly-The Ghoul in Pajamas?:vlol:

And of course, I was thrilled that Umbridge got what she so thoroughly deserved - getting killed by werewolves. :mis:
Ha! I absolutely loved that bit!And what happened to Wormtail! It was a fantastic chapter in general-though I ended up crying and cursing. This must not happen in the book.
Did you get to read any of the fanfics I posted on page 134, by the way? They're both fantastic!

:D I'm just reading the Wiki page on Lord Voldemort - it's funny reading the way each language has had to alter Voldemort's real name in order for the anagram to work; in French, his middle name is Elvis! :vlol:
I actually picked up a pen and corrected the name to Tom Marvolo Riddle in my translated version of the book. :vlol:

^ Ohhh. So how did he hear the prophecy when Harry was a baby? I thought only the person who the prophecy was about could retrieve it.
Snape-who was a Death Eater at the time- heard Trelawney making the Prophecy to Dumbledore (the first few lines at least) and blurted everything out to Voldemort.
Of course, the Prophecy was also referring to Voldemort so he could retrieve it from the Department of Mysteries. But since Voldemort at the time of OotP was lying low he couldn't just walk into the Ministry of Magic.

Rivendell
15-07-07, 11:08
Did you know that a newspaper has apparently printed the first couple of sentences of the book?

Spoiler:
>
'Chapter One. The Dark Lord Ascending. The two men appeared out of nowhere, a few yards apart in the narrow, moonlit lane. For a second they stood quite still, wands pointing at each other's chests: then, recognising each other, they stowed their wands beneath their cloaks and set off, side by side, in the same direction.

"News?", asked the taller of the two.

"The best," replied Snape.'
<

Oooh. :mis:

Blackmoor
15-07-07, 11:16
This time next week we'll all be reading it!! :jmp: :jmp:

I'm not reading any spoilers. I want everything from the first chapter title to be completely fresh for me. :D

LegenDarY
15-07-07, 13:27

Sorry about all these questions.

Trelawney was at Hog's Head (if I'm correct) with Dumbledore for a job interview. At one point Snape and the bartender bursted in and Snape said the bartender was listening at the keyhole. But in fact it was Snape who overheard the last part of the prophecy that Trelawney was making at that point to Dumbledore and told it to Voldemort.

Voldemort only heard half of the prophecy and acting upon this he made the prophecy a self-fullfilling-prohecy.

This led Snape to be sorry about what he's done and Dumbledore trusted Snape from that point. (At least that's what the books say, I don't believe that, there has to be something else why Dumbledore's convinced of Snape's innocence.)

Sorry, I've read OotP and HBP over the last days, so everything's still fresh in my memory for the last book :D.

:D I'm just reading the Wiki page on Lord Voldemort - it's funny reading the way each language has had to alter Voldemort's real name in order for the anagram to work; in French, his middle name is Elvis! :vlol:

You know, the translation of names is actually a key part in figuring out who R.A.B is. I'm convinced it's Regulus Black, cause over here in the Netherlands, the Black family name is translated as Zwarts.. and the note in the cave said R.A.Z in the Netherlands.

xcrushterx
15-07-07, 13:36
I so totally can't wait for DH :D

I saw OOTP yesterday and I thought that it was AWESOME! :D

HBP here we come xD

ThomasCroft
15-07-07, 13:45
Thanks for the explanations Legendary, Rivendell, Real Life Raider and Ada the Mental! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hyper_Crazy
15-07-07, 13:57
Does anyone think they should bring back John Williams (composed the Prisoner of Azkaban) to do the soundtrack/music?

LegenDarY
15-07-07, 13:59
Thanks for the explanations Legendary, Rivendell, Real Life Raider and Ada the Mental! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

No problem :wve:

Does anyone think they should bring back John Williams (composed the Prisoner of Azkaban) to do the soundtrack/music?
Isn't he from Star Wars? His name is really familiar.

Speaking of music. The last part in the official OoTP trailer is amazing. When they chant the Harry Potter theme for like 1 or 2 seconds. Absolutely amazing.

Another thing I'm very curious about is how they will portait Phoenix's song (when Dumbledore dies in HBP) in the next movie.

Jake Croft
15-07-07, 15:11
Im seriously hoping the ending isnt the one people are betting on...that would be such a let down tbh

Hyper_Crazy
15-07-07, 15:17
Isn't he from Star Wars? His name is really familiar.

Speaking of music. The last part in the official OoTP trailer is amazing. When they chant the Harry Potter theme for like 1 or 2 seconds. Absolutely amazing.

No idea.

I must of missed that lol, I have to watch that now.

Angelus
15-07-07, 15:19
Yes, John Williams did do the music for Star Wars. :tmb:

I can't wait for the last HP book! :jmp:

Hyper_Crazy
15-07-07, 15:21
Yes, John Williams did do the music for Star Wars. :tmb:

I can't wait for the last HP book! :jmp:

Thanks for the confirmination. ;]

Me either! :jmp:

LegenDarY
15-07-07, 15:26
The last few seconds if this trailer:

GLud6yM47u8

Do you hear how they're chanting? The first time I heard it send chills down my spine.

And I knew he was the guy from SW, he's brilliant :D.

Hyper_Crazy
15-07-07, 15:29
Do you hear how they're chanting? The first time I heard it send chills down my spine.

And I knew he was the guy from SW, he's brilliant :D.

I hear it now.

Yes he is, I loved the soundtrack for Prisoner of Azkaban, and SW, they should use him for the last two Harry Potters.

Bonez
15-07-07, 16:13
The. Movie. Is. Amazing. 0_0

AmericanAssassin
15-07-07, 17:23
Oh. My. God. I just read the first chapter title. I love it! It sounds as if the action will start straight away. And, I read the first few sentences. Amazing! I cannot wait for this book! :jmp:

Hyper_Crazy
15-07-07, 17:36
Does Kreacher creep anyone out?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cb/Kreacher.jpg

Angelus
15-07-07, 17:45
That's Sirius' house elf, right? I haven't read OoTP since it was released... :o

Is the film really as good as people have been saying it is?

AmericanAssassin
15-07-07, 17:46
That's Sirius' house elf, right? I haven't read OoTP since it was released... :o

Yes, and he's awesome. Not what I expected, but still good. :D

It's my favorite film in the series, personally. ;)

Hyper_Crazy
15-07-07, 17:48

I think it's the best one so far.

Rivendell
15-07-07, 17:49
Ditto AA :D
It's my fave too. I can see where you're coming from Bmoor about the tension not being built up as it could've been (in regards to Voldemort's feelings, Harry's dreams getting closer and closer to the door..) but all in all, what they did with the material was better than I hoped for!

There were a couple of bits I really missed, but overall - yep, just more than happy. :D

Hopefully I'll see it for the third time in the cinema sometime in the next couple of weeks, then wait for the DVD :tmb:

Bonez
15-07-07, 17:53
ITS SOOOOOOOO GOOD!

I still can't get over how amazing it is. Its not as action packed.. but when the action kicks in its just.. woah.

Bellatrix is SEXY! Evil Evil woman though... she nailed that part.

AmericanAssassin
15-07-07, 17:54
I would love it if WB released an extended edition DVD (like New Line did with the LOTR trilogy). I would love to hear:

"Remember My Last, Petunia!" :cln:

On another note, I could go on for hours of my love for Bellatrix! :jmp:

Angelus
15-07-07, 17:56
I might go and see it next week! Meanwhile, I'll wait the Goblet of Fire DVD to arrive. :mis:

Hyper_Crazy
15-07-07, 18:01
I might go and see it next week! Meanwhile, I'll wait the Goblet of Fire DVD to arrive. :mis:

Ahhh, worst Harry Potter ever, burn it, burn it!!!

ThomasCroft
15-07-07, 18:02
How can people like Bellatrix soooo much? We didn't see much of her! :p

Rivendell
15-07-07, 18:03
On another note, I could go on for hours of my love for Bellatrix! :jmp:

Ooh tell me about it, we should form a club!

"OLOBL" (Official lovers of Bellatrix Lestrange) :p

Bonez
15-07-07, 18:05

Count me in! :D

That would be officially awesome XD Shes just so good :D

AmericanAssassin
15-07-07, 18:06

Oh! I am totally joining! :cln:

Bonez
15-07-07, 18:06
So thats.. 3 members so far haha

Jake Croft
15-07-07, 18:07

Im in!
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/2900/300pxbellatrixhdnj8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
:cln:

Hyper_Crazy
15-07-07, 18:08
I'm in too. :D

Rivendell
15-07-07, 18:09
Her "How's your mum & dad?" line was just so casually sadistic and utterly Bellatrix :jmp:

Not to mention her cheering as she ran away from Harry about how she killed Sirius! :eek: Evil to the core that one, brilliantly portrayed!

Jake Croft
15-07-07, 18:10
I loved the escape scene she was just insane looking and her cackle makes her so much eviler... does she appear in any of the other books?

Hyper_Crazy
15-07-07, 18:12
Evil to the core that one, brilliantly portrayed!

Helena Bohman Carter did a great job playing Bellatrix Lestrange. :tmb:

I loved the escape scene she was just insane looking and her cackle makes her so much eviler... does she appear in any of the other books?

She's in the beginning of Half Blood Price, and she'll be in Deathy Hollows.

Bonez
15-07-07, 18:12
Yeah that mum and dad line was just EVIL!

Jake Croft
15-07-07, 18:14
She's in the beginning of Half Blood Price, and she'll be in Deathy Hollows.

:cln: After rereading through OOTP im definitely going to read half blooded prince shes so cool id of loved her to have more screen time though

Hyper_Crazy
15-07-07, 18:15
:cln: After rereading through OOTP im definitely going to read half blooded prince shes so cool id of loved her to have more screen time though

As far as I remember shes only in the beginning though. >_<

I'm going to read Half Blood Prince soon.

Rivendell
15-07-07, 18:16
Apparently she has a much more significant role in DH :yah:
And so she should! Best Death Eater of them all :D

Lucius is perfectly played too, but.. there's just something about Bellatrix. :mis:

Jake Croft
15-07-07, 18:16
I dont care how long shes in... its worth it :D

Hyper_Crazy
15-07-07, 18:17
I dont care how long shes in... its worth it :D

Someone: Hello Bellatrix.
Bellatrix: I must go now....

Still read it if that happened lol?

AmericanAssassin
15-07-07, 18:18
As far as I remember shes only in the beginning though. >_<

I'm going to read Half Blood Prince soon.

What? You must read it! It's amazing! :D OotP is better though, IMO.

Apparently she has a much more significant role in DH :yah:
And so she should! Best Death Eater of them all :D

Lucius is perfectly played too, but.. there's just something about Bellatrix. :mis:

I don't really care for Lucius honestly... Bellatrix is so cool that I don't care which side wins! :p I'm only joking, but I do love her!

Jake Croft
15-07-07, 18:19
Yeah :D
Wow i need to pre-order deathly hollows yet
She needs a big role so we can see her all the time :p

Hyper_Crazy
What? You must read it! It's amazing! :D OotP is better though, IMO.

I have read it, I mean re-read it lol.

Yeah :D
Wow i need to pre-order deathly hollows yet
She needs a big role so we can see her all the time :p

Lollercoster. XD

I need to pre-order it too.

Sara Croft
Did anyone else fall in love with Luna lovegood btw?:D

Jake Croft
15-07-07, 18:20
My friend auditioned for that part in London :p
I liked her because of her innocent weirdness

Hyper_Crazy
15-07-07, 18:22

I fell in love with her voice lol. 'Dreamy' :D

AmericanAssassin
15-07-07, 18:23
I have read it, I mean re-read it lol.

Oh... :p Well, then that's quite alright. I thought you meant you had never read it...

She did good. She's absolutely 100% different than I expected, but she did well with the content. :D

Rivendell
15-07-07, 18:24
Luna was played very well too I thought. Her voice really forced sympathy for her character, she sounded lonely.
I can't wait to see her again in the next film!

Hyper_Crazy
15-07-07, 18:24
Oh... :p Well, then that's quite alright. I thought you meant you had never read it...

Never!
I need to finish OotP before I start HPB, I'm at the part where Harry uses the fire in Umbridge's office....not that much longer till I finish it then.

AmericanAssassin
15-07-07, 18:31
One thing that I was depressed to see that they left out was that Ron and Hermione were prefects... Did the video game mention that?

Lavinder
15-07-07, 18:35
:( I want to see it, but everyone around me is pretty much anti-Harry Potter and I don't fancy going to the cinema on my todd :p

Hyper_Crazy
15-07-07, 18:37
:( I want to see it, but everyone around me is pretty much anti-Harry Potter and I don't fancy going to the cinema on my todd :p

Just go to the cinema on your own. :D

Rivendell
15-07-07, 18:42
Did the video game mention that?

Yep, I think it does. The video game even does the portable swamps and using the invisibility cloak to sneak into Umbridge's office!

AmericanAssassin
15-07-07, 18:44
Yep, I think it does. The video game even does the portable swamps and using the invisibility cloak to sneak into Umbridge's office!

:yah: Yay, thanx. I must go buy it... One more question: Are there quidditch matches in the game? :p

Rivendell
15-07-07, 18:47
Nope, Umbridge is quick to ban quidditch. You do play as Fred/George in their escape however, but you don't get much control.

ThomasCroft
15-07-07, 18:54

Yes I fancy her no jk!!! I just find her so innocent and kind and I just want to squish her and hug her and eeeeeek!!! :jmp::jmp::jmp: And she's so weird just like me! I want her as my girlfriend.

I wanna start a Luna fanclub!

AmericanAssassin
15-07-07, 19:02
Does anybody know where I could get the European versions of the HP books? Most book stores that I've looked at won't ship here... I want to read The Philosopher's Stone. I've never understood why America got a different title.

Alive_and_Funky
15-07-07, 19:09
Wouldn't Jamie like to go with you? :ton:
I want to read The Philosopher's Stone. I've never understood why America got a different title.
I've heard it's because people in America don't know what a philosopher is. I never really understood why they couldn't have just explained it, or why people in America apparently don't know what a philosopher is. :confused:

AmericanAssassin
15-07-07, 19:10
I've heard it's because America don't know what a philosopher is. I never really understood why they couldn't have just explained it, or why America apparently don't know what a philosopher is. :confused:

How stupid are we? :vlol: And, in the second book I heard that they changed the word "jumper" to "sweater". :p

Alive_and_Funky
15-07-07, 19:17
How stupid are we? :vlol:
Very stupid, according to whoever decided to change the title. :p
And, in the second book I heard that they changed the word "jumper" to "sweater". :p
Also, I've heard that the floor names were changed in the American versions. I think the Ground Floor is called the First Floor, and then I think it continues to change like that.
I've also heard that (at least) one of the lines to do with Sirius and Lupin was removed in the American version of the book too.

AmericanAssassin
15-07-07, 19:24
Also, I've heard that the floor names were changed in the American versions. I think the Ground Floor is called the First Floor, and then I think it continues to change like that.
I've also heard that (at least) one of the lines to do with Sirius and Lupin was removed in the American version of the book too.

That's so stupid. :p Is there a difference between the European adult version and the regular version, besides the covers?

Alive_and_Funky
15-07-07, 19:27
That's so stupid. :p Is there a difference between the European adult version and the regular version, besides the covers?
I've heard that the only difference is that they have different covers (I've only got the regular versions, so I can't check).

LegenDarY
15-07-07, 20:19
I'm so in the OLoBL.. I love Bellatrix, that picture you posted is exactly the one I have on my PSP as a background :D.

I've also made a background out of the Slytherin locket that's on the front of the adult DH book :D.

I've got the exact same problem. I go to the cinema with friends all the time. But no one wanted to go to HP, they're all as anti as it gets. They don't look the movies and don't read the books. Luckily I've found some people at work who are devoted fans as well, so I'm going with them this week :D. Can't wait after reading the comments everyone is giving the movie.

As of next saturday I'm staying out of this thread untill I've finished reading the book. I can't believe the spoilers are rolling in already. I have no intention at all of reading them. So it would help if everybody could be discreet and always use a spoiler warning and white letters.

Jake Croft
15-07-07, 20:27
Post the wallpaper!:D

Angel666
15-07-07, 20:37
Just saw it. I wasnt overly impressed. They cut so much Snape out. :(

Spoilers(sorta)
>>I really wanted to see more of the OWL/Bullying scene and the ones with his family. And what was up with Sirius just standing there when he just got AK'd?! And then the veil just like sucked him up into it instead of him falling back. WTF. <<

Dixie
15-07-07, 20:53
I think we need some general rules for this thread regarding DH spoilers. Like- don't post ANY spoilers from July 20-22. And for the next few weeks make spoilers invisible(white). Something like that...

Angel666
15-07-07, 20:55
Or we should make a seperate thread for Deathly Hallows.

Dixie
15-07-07, 21:21
Or we should make a seperate thread for Deathly Hallows.

Yes, that makes sense. This is, after all, the "general" Harry Potter thread.

EDIT: I made the thread.

BlackGrey
15-07-07, 21:31
The movie is AMAZING.... could have been so much longer and I mean my whole cinema moaned when it ended then clapped and cheered :jmp: . I swear that was flippin' amazing, bella was also amazing and I just loved Luna LoveGod. I really want the next movie, WAH!!! Someone get me a fix of Harry Potter!

Dixie
15-07-07, 21:56
Very stupid, according to whoever decided to change the title. :p

No, the floor names are the same. And they changed the title because they thought that children wouldn't want to read a book with the word "philosophy" or "philosophers" in it. I think they were quite right. If I was eight years old, I would never pick something like that up! But then again, pretty much everyone knows what the philosophers stone is...even when they're eight.

Mytly
15-07-07, 21:57
I want to read The Philosopher's Stone. I've never understood why America got a different title.
Philosopher's Stone isn't very different from Sorcerer's Stone (I've read both). Mainly it's just the American/British words thing, that is sweater/jumper, or sneakers/trainers, stuff like that. There are only a couple of instances of bigger differences, but those are where the American edition has a few more lines than the British edition ... no idea how that happened. :confused: The same is true of HBP - some lines which were cut out of the British version appeared in the American one.

You know, the translation of names is actually a key part in figuring out who R.A.B is. I'm convinced it's Regulus Black, cause over here in the Netherlands, the Black family name is translated as Zwarts.. and the note in the cave said R.A.Z in the Netherlands.
I wonder why they translate the names ... I mean, even when they are translated, the books are still set in the UK, right? So why would a British character have a non-English name? :confused:
I haven't read any of the books in translation, but I have seen the Hindi version of the first three movies. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry ... everything sounded so weird, almost ridiculous. They left most of the main characters' names alone, but the other characters and even the houses had different names ... so Harry was in "Garuddwar" house (while translates as "Eagle-door"), while Malfoy was in "Nagshakti" ("Snake-power"). The worst was the names of the spells, though: Expecto Patronum became something like "Pitrudev Savrakshanam" (can't spell it correctly :o). :vlol:

Ada the Mental
15-07-07, 22:26
Yeah,translating the names is pretty stupid.
I have read both the books both translated and in the original versions (actually I had read books 1-4 in Greek at first). Luckily the translation is pretty good (the English one is much better, of course), and the only names changed were names such as Hermione ( which is a Greek name, anyway),the anagram for Voldemort or the nicknames of the Marauders (which sound utterly ridiculous). What always annoys me is the fact that they always change the spells, and most of them sound way too stupid.

And there are some completely useless changes:Seamus Finnigan became Seamus Miligan, Angelina became Angelika, in OotP Lupin says some random line that was originally Sirius's, and in HBP the translator apparently decided that Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff were actually guys!:confused:

LegenDarY
15-07-07, 23:21
Post the wallpaper!:D

They're nothing special.. I just cut it out and made it fade into black so it wouldn't look like it's part of something else.

http://i18.************/4xpva4p.jpg
Trust me, it looks awesome on your PSP. :D

And this is the one with Bellatrix, just adjust the screen to zoom in a little bit and it will fit perfectly :D
http://i11.************/4ts5t2f.jpg
No changes made to this one, she looks awesome as it is ;).

xdiesp
15-07-07, 23:36
I have been at the movies to watch HP5: I did not like how they scrapped a lot of the political thriller element in favor of the reminiscence one, making the story like one of those recap episodes in shows where they update you on the run about what happened previously. Yet the movie delivered, just in a slightly vacant way this time. The scene at the playground at the beginning was stunning.

Jake Croft
15-07-07, 23:58
Nice wallpapers :D

Angel666
16-07-07, 00:11
My post about my initial reaction was kinda harsh. If I hadn't read the book first I probably would have loved this movie. The acting is amazing (except for Emma in this one. Especially at the beginning.) Imelda Staunton was amazing as was Helena Bontham Carter. I loved her baby voice. Dan really stepped it up especially after the death. But what was up with David Thewlis? (Lupin) He looks completely different from POA. Especially his nose, or maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Dixie
16-07-07, 02:30
^^^
What I learned to do is separate the books and the movies. I consider the books to be one series, and the movies another. The people who say "OMG I CANT BELIEVE TEH LEFT OUT BLAH BAH BLAH!" don't realize that the movies are simply BASED ON the novels, they are NOT direct adaptations.

BoyTRaider
16-07-07, 03:13
OMG!! I can't wait to watch the movie!

Angelus
16-07-07, 08:50
How many people have pre-ordered Deathly Hallows? I've got no money in my account until Friday, so I need to wait until then. :(

Rivendell
16-07-07, 08:52
My mate pre-ordered it for me, I'm going with her to WH Smiths at midnight on friday to pick it up.
In a Harry Costume!

:D

VonCroy360
16-07-07, 08:54
I preoredered it and I'm also going with a friend to pick it up at midnight (1 AM here, rather than to get it by post.
We won't be wearing costumes, though.

:)

Quasimodo
16-07-07, 08:57
Can you imagine the crowds at the bookstores? You'd have to bring a club just to beat away all the young-uns' and grab a copy! XD

L.C
16-07-07, 09:16
Isn't he from Star Wars? His name is really familiar. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Close Encounters, Jaws, just about every blockbuster movie's music has been composed by him. Genius.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002354/

How can people like Bellatrix soooo much? We didn't see much of her! :p

Her "How's your mum & dad?" line was just so casually sadistic and utterly Bellatrix :jmp:

Not to mention her cheering as she ran away from Harry about how she killed Sirius! :eek: Evil to the core that one, brilliantly portrayed!

Count me in. I'm surprised none of you have mentioned my signature. It's been there since Friday night, you know ;)

Ron and Hermione were prefects... Did the video game mention that?Yes, but only very quickly. Blink, and you might miss it.

Very stupid, according to whoever decided to change the title. :pMy take on the reason the title was changed for the US; The Philosopher's Stone is itself an entity that most Americans had no prior knowledge of. Not that the rest of the world knew either, but to make the title more 'theme-oriented' (this is a book about wizards), I'm pretty sure Scholastic decided it would entice more by using a magic-like name. By the time the other books were released, everyone knew what HP was all about, so no need to dumb it down.

How many people have pre-ordered Deathly Hallows? I've got no money in my account until Friday, so I need to wait until then. :( I've pre-ordered at Waterstones. They always seem to have the best HP release parties :)

Mytly
16-07-07, 12:08
How many people have pre-ordered Deathly Hallows?
Pre-ordered weeks ago! :jmp:

I wish I could get it at midnight, but the stores here don't plan to be open then ... so I have to wait till Saturday morning. :( Oh well ... I plan to watch the movie on Friday evening, so it'll be a HP filled evening nonetheless. :D

Angelus
16-07-07, 12:27
Pre-ordered weeks ago! :jmp:

I wish I could get it at midnight, but the stores here don't plan to be open then ... so I have to wait till Saturday morning. :( Oh well ... I plan to watch the movie on Friday evening, so it'll be a HP filled evening nonetheless. :D

I have to order it online, so I may not get it until Monday or Tuesday! :(

Rivendell
16-07-07, 13:17
I feel so slow you know - I've just realised how common the idea of a 'Horcrux' is in terms of creating a seemingly undefeatable/immortal villain.

Voldemort - Splits his sould and seals parts of it in external objects away from his body so he can't die while all the parts still exist.

Sauron - He basically poured his 'essence' into the One Ring - and he lived on while he still resided in the Ring.

Davy Jones - Took his heart out, so his body couldn't be killed while his heart still lived.

It's the principle of splitting oneself up into bits, so the main piece can't die while all the other bits still exist.
Told you I was slow :p

:eek: And today is 2 years since HBP was released!

ThomasCroft
16-07-07, 14:40
:eek: And today is 2 years since HBP was released!

Seriously? Omg ... time goes so quickly. It really only seems a year since I read it!

Alive_and_Funky
16-07-07, 17:40
No, the floor names are the same. And they changed the title because they thought that children wouldn't want to read a book with the word "philosophy" or "philosophers" in it. I think they were quite right. If I was eight years old, I would never pick something like that up! But then again, pretty much everyone knows what the philosophers stone is...even when they're eight.
My take on the reason the title was changed for the US; The Philosopher's Stone is itself an entity that most Americans had no prior knowledge of. Not that the rest of the world knew either, but to make the title more 'theme-oriented' (this is a book about wizards), I'm pretty sure Scholastic decided it would entice more by using a magic-like name. By the time the other books were released, everyone knew what HP was all about, so no need to dumb it down.
I see. Thanks for correcting me. :)

Angel666
16-07-07, 17:58
I preordered months ago. :D I'm so excited! :yah: :jmp: Less than a week left. And I'm not dressing up. :)

Rivendell
16-07-07, 17:59
Ahh come on everyone! Collect it at midnight, go with some mates and dress up! :ton: You won't get a chance to again! ;)

Friday seems like an eternity away, it really does.. Gah!

Angel666
16-07-07, 18:03
I am going with my friend but I don't have anything to dress up in! :p I'm not much of a cosplayer anyway.

Jake Croft
16-07-07, 18:23
Wheres everyone pre-ordered from?

Angel666
16-07-07, 18:26
Books-A-Million. Or as we like to call it: BAM! :)

Jake Croft
16-07-07, 18:28
Haha i wanna pre-order from Tesco but you cant unless its online id rather instore pre-order

LegenDarY
16-07-07, 18:38
Unfortunately I have to work friday night. So I have no idea how I'm going to buy it at midnight. And I'm afraid that if I don't buy it at midnight, that it'll be sold out the next morning.

I'm still working on a plan to figure out how I'm going to get the book at midnight :p.

Rivendell
16-07-07, 18:45
Something interesting I noticed about the cover of the USA Deathly Hallows - could be a spoiler so I'll type it in white:

Harry appears to be wearing Voldemort's locket Horcrux around his neck in the final battle!

I'm probably the nine-hundred-and-ninety-nine-thousandth person to notice this, but it's cool nonetheless.

My speculation about said info:

Will Harry have destroyed it at that point? Or will he be using it as a type of shield? If Voldemort Avada Kedavra's Harry, will it destroy part of himself?

:jmp:

Geck-o-Lizard
16-07-07, 18:50
It'd be fun to go out to Glasgow at midnight dressed up silly, but I never preordered. There's never a shortage of HP books on release day here in Paisley. >_>

Young Snape in OotP was so cute! XD

Angel666
16-07-07, 19:01
Yeah, :D. But they hardly showed him at all. He didn't even have any lines. :( They made a big deal out of casting young maurauders and young snape and only showed ten seconds (if that) of the scene. :(

Ada the Mental
16-07-07, 19:09
Ok.I already know the Marauder's scene (one of my favourites ) is butchered, but how much butchered is it? I've heard you don't even get to see anyone except for James and Snape.^^^

Me and my friends have already preordered the book, though there's no real need where I live. Unfortunately we'll have to wait till Saturday morning, since the bookshop won't open at midnight. :(
We're not really dressing up but if I feel silly enough (and if my friends feel silly as well, I'm not going to be the only one who'll make a fool of herself) I might wear my witch's hat!

I can't believe it's still Monday! This is going to be the longest week!

Harry appears to be wearing Voldemort's locket Horcrux around his neck in the final battle! [/COLOR]

Most probably he will have destroyed the Horcrux by that time, but I think it's R.A.B.'s locket he's wearing. Didn't he keep it as a reminder of what he has to do at the end of HBP? And why would he wear the Horcrux, anyway?

Another thing about the US cover-nor Harry nor Voldy seem to be holding wands. So I guess we'll see some wandless magic!:jmp:
So far we've only seen Dumbledore, Snape, Quirell, Lupin and Voldemort (?) use controlled wandless magic haven't we?

ThomasCroft
16-07-07, 19:11
^^ @ Geck-O-Lizard: I hate Harry's Dad - who was well ugly - for what he did to poor young Snape!!

I love Snape!

No actually I don't for what he did in HBP to poor Dumbledore even if he asked him to.

I hate that Snape arghh.

Angelus
16-07-07, 19:17
You can order the book in Waterstone's for £9! :D I'm going to town tomorrow to pre-order it! :jmp:

Angel666
16-07-07, 19:19
Ok.I already know the Marauder's scene (one of my favourites ) is butchered, but how much butchered is it? I've heard you don't even get to see anyone except for James and Snape.^^^

Sort of spoilery

It is extremely butchered. You see James for like a second. The chapter in the book was extremely embarrassing and kind of hard to finish. In the movie I think they were trying to make it less of a task to watch and in doing so completely dumbed it down. And they never really make it clear or even hint that Snape is spying. But he did have some funny lines while watching Harry's memories. I knew they were going to have to cut out alot but I did expect to see this scene in it's entirety.

Ada the Mental
16-07-07, 19:28
It is extremely butchered. You see James for like a second. The chapter in the book was extremely embarrassing and kind of hard to finish. In the movie I think they were trying to make it less of a task to watch and in doing so completely dumbed it down. And they never really make it clear or even hint that Snape is spying. But he did have some funny lines while watching Harry's memories. I knew they were going to have to cut out alot but I did expect to see this scene in it's entirety.
:yik: Are they mad?
Regarding Snape's worst memory ( and if it's indeed his very worst one, he hasn't had such a hard life after all :rolleyes:)...I suppose we should be glad they even kept it in...

BTW, does anyone else think that Snape was trying to spy on James & Co at the time? Apparently, "he had no fixed idea where he was going"...Yeah right...:pi:
After reading HBP, I don't really think Snape was such an saint himself when he was a student.

Dixie
16-07-07, 19:30
And of course they already close our DH thread. So I guess we'll just be posting our spoilers on here

Angel666
16-07-07, 19:31
I tend to think not. Just a feeling. But I definately agree that he was no saint. :)

EDIT:^ Gah! :yik: Please no book spoilers. And if you do please mark it and put them in white. And don't quote the spoilers cause then you can still see them. :( Please.

xcrushterx
16-07-07, 19:34
It'd be fun to go out to Glasgow at midnight dressed up silly, but I never preordered. There's never a shortage of HP books on release day here in Paisley. >_>

Young Snape in OotP was so cute! XD
Who would you dress up as? lol

I'm not planning on dressing up and going to a book shop, but so many people seem to be doing it lol. I have friend who's gonna do it. I'll ask what shop they're going to and maybe go and join them ;):D

VonCroy360
There's an interesting short article on MuggleNet about the security measures of shipping DH. It's supposed to cost ten million pounds. Click (http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/International__Business/10-mn_pound_security_to_shield_Potter_secret/articleshow/msid-2206188,curpg-1.cms). What do you think how are they transporting it to smaller countries that aren't printng the book themselves? Secure airplanes or it all goes in these trucks?

Bonez
In the books snape has occasionlyl threatened to use that Veritism ( or whatever its called ) on Harry.

Wouldn't he know everything from Harrys Occlumency lessons?

Angel666
16-07-07, 19:36
I think he was just trying to scare Harry when he threatened to use veritiserum on him.

Mytly
16-07-07, 20:49
Another thing about the US cover-nor Harry nor Voldy seem to be holding wands. So I guess we'll see some wandless magic!:jmp:
So far we've only seen Dumbledore, Snape, Quirell, Lupin and Voldemort (?) use controlled wandless magic haven't we?
Actually, I can't think of a single instance of wandless magic from Snape, Lupin or Voldy :confused: ... care to referesh my memory?

Also, about the cover, I don't really get the impression that they are performing magic - they seem to be reaching out for something ... in fact, my first thought on seeing that cover was that Harry was reaching for the snitch. ;)

Regarding Snape's worst memory ( and if it's indeed his very worst one, he hasn't had such a hard life after all :rolleyes:)
Yeah, I remember thinking that when I first read the book ... I mean, other people's worst memories are usually about the loss of loved ones, or something similarly devastating. But the worst thing that ever happened to Snape is that he was bullied a bit decades ago? :rolleyes:

Rivendell
16-07-07, 20:53
I would've said his worst memory was whatever was going on when he was small and cowering in the corner of the room while two people argued.

Bullied by a prat / witness something as your parents argue (did it get physical/ violently magical?) to make you cower in the corner..

Hmm..

Angel666
16-07-07, 21:32
Well, bullying like that can have a profound effect on people and push them to some really bad places. BTW, I'm so getting one of these shirts for the midnight party! :jmp:

http://search.hottopic.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&lbc=hottopic&w=severus+snape

Ada the Mental
16-07-07, 21:40
Actually, I can't think of a single instance of wandless magic from Snape, Lupin or Voldy :confused: ... care to referesh my memory?
Snape was muttering the counter-curse to Quirell's curse on Harry's broom, and Lupin conjured flames with his hands when he tackled the Dementor on the train. Although I suppose they could have both used wands,now that I think of it...
Scratch the Voldemort bit, I checked back and he did use a wand...
Anyway,it's more wishful thinking on my part. I think it'd be interesting to show other ways of using magic.

Yeah, I remember thinking that when I first read the book ... I mean, other people's worst memories are usually about the loss of loved ones, or something similarly devastating. But the worst thing that ever happened to Snape is that he was bullied a bit decades ago? :rolleyes:
Have you read Red Hen's essay about the Pensieve incident being a set-up? I think I agree.
http://www.redhen-publications.com/PensieveGambit.html

Dixie
16-07-07, 21:41
There's an interesting short article on MuggleNet about the security measures of shipping DH. It's supposed to cost ten million pounds. Click (http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/International__Business/10-mn_pound_security_to_shield_Potter_secret/articleshow/msid-2206188,curpg-1.cms). What do you think how are they transporting it to smaller countries that aren't printng the book themselves? Secure airplanes or it all goes in these trucks?

These security measures don't work! Several copies of the American edition of DH have been leaked and spread around on the internet! What they should have done is assigned two armed guards to each book. That way, if one dies, the other can take over while the publishers send reinforcements!

Real Life Raider
16-07-07, 22:39
In the books snape has occasionlyl threatened to use that Veritism ( or whatever its called ) on Harry.

Wouldn't he know everything from Harrys Occlumency lessons?

When Snape threatened to use veritaserum on Harry, Snape was reading Harry's mind but made a mistake.

Snape read that Harry & his friends were brewing polyjuice potion but that was two years ago!

Geck-o-Lizard
16-07-07, 23:44

Well, everyone's got different priorities. If you're a loner with a lot of natural self-respect, you might well find deep humiliation to be more wounding than the loss of those who'd normally be considered loved ones.

Real Life Raider
16-07-07, 23:51
Well, everyone's got different priorities. If you're a loner with a lot of natural self-respect, you might well find deep humiliation to be more wounding than the loss of those who'd normally be considered loved ones.

True

Snape was, by his semi-neglected upbringing very self-respectful (consider his self given title of Half Blood Prince.)

His pride was all he had.

James Potter had his friends and his cocky arrogance and when Potter humiliated Severus, he took away his pride, his self respect and created Snape's worst memory.

BoyTRaider
17-07-07, 00:11
Alright, since I'm currently unemployed, it's pretty hard to go to the movies...
I made a couple bucks today, should I consider going? Is the movie all it's cracked up to be, or is it like last year's Goblet of Fire which missed tons of general keypoints from the book..?

Real Life Raider
17-07-07, 00:30
The general plotlines of OOTP are there, there are no major changes to the story. Most of the grim, tedious non-action scenes of the book are gone.

I myself think this is, without doubt, the best Potter movie to date.

Go see.

:tmb:

BoyTRaider
17-07-07, 00:43
The general plotlines of OOTP are there, there are no major changes to the story. Most of the grim, tedious non-action scenes of the book are gone.

I myself think this is, without doubt, the best Potter movie to date.

Go see.

:tmb:

Alright, thank you very much. :) I'm really excited for it now.

Real Life Raider
17-07-07, 00:45
Meanwhile, the book has arrived.......FULL STORY (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070716/ten-uk-arts-potter-ending-91c27f7.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/RobBo-imagick/booktruck.jpg

Angel666
17-07-07, 01:51
I have a question. Is anyone here into Wizard Rock?

Dixie
17-07-07, 05:59
I have a question. Is anyone here into Wizard Rock?

You mean like Harry and the Potters? I like Draco and the Malfoys...they are pretty much the only ones with decent vocals...

Slightly off-topic here: Are the mods obsessed with thread-closing? They keep closing the DH thread...

Mytly
17-07-07, 06:29
Snape was muttering the counter-curse to Quirell's curse on Harry's broom, and Lupin conjured flames with his hands when he tackled the Dementor on the train. Although I suppose they could have both used wands,now that I think of it...
Scratch the Voldemort bit, I checked back and he did use a wand...
Anyway,it's more wishful thinking on my part. I think it'd be interesting to show other ways of using magic.
There's really no way to tell whether they used wands or not.
But as far as wandless magic goes, yes, it's certainly interesting, and it would be fun to see more of it.
Have you read Red Hen's theory that wandless magic is the Dark Arts? I don't agree completely, but it certainly makes for interesting reading.

Have you read Red Hen's essay about the Pensieve incident being a set-up? I think I agree.
http://www.redhen-publications.com/PensieveGambit.html
Yup. I'm 99% sure it was a setup - after all, if Snape didn't want Harry to pry into his private memories, why did he unload them into the pensieve right in front of Harry? Couldn't he simply have done it before Harry arrived at his office? :rolleyes:
Not to mention that it seems unlikely that putting memories into the pensieve removes them from one's own mind - in GoF, Dumbledore had not forgotten the trials he had seen, even though those particular memories were currently in the pensieve. So why would Snape bother removing those memories unless he wanted Harry to look at them? - and thereby give him the perfect excuse not to teach him Occlumency any more.

Hmm, I partially agree. To a person like that, humiliation may be worse than any other kind of sorrow or loss.

But in any case, we don't know whether that really was Snape's worst memory, or Harry just assumed it was. It's the chapter title (which are from Harry's PoV), but it's not otherwise mentioned in the text.

Rivendell
17-07-07, 08:18
Meanwhile, the book has arrived.......FULL STORY (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070716/ten-uk-arts-potter-ending-91c27f7.html)

Gahhh... It's only Tuesday! So many hours to go until Friday night!

*Twitches*

Angelus
17-07-07, 08:54
I'm going to pre-order the book soon! :jmp:

Rivendell
17-07-07, 09:26
Are you going to get it at midnight then Angelus? :D

Plus I thought of a bit of the Hp5 film I was disappointed got left out!
>>Umbridge and the ministry trying to sack Hagrid, and attacking McGonagall in the process.

I noticed the second post I posted on the first page of this thread suggested this had actually been filmed:

"There were two scenes being filmed today, both come at the end of HP5. First was the recovery of Professor McGonagall after her incident with the Death Eaters outside Hagrids hut; also following the attack at the Ministry and Hogwarts.

Professor McGonagall is resting in her chair, reading the headline 'He who must not be named returns' in her Daily Prophet whilst speaking to Hagrid (today it was Martin Bayford standing in for Hagrid who is such a giant of a man). We couldn't hear the dialogue but he was obviously comforting her after being hit by so many hexes. Dame Maggie Smith looked absolutely wonderful and the new robes, worn by both teachers and students are great.

At the same time this scene was being shot, from both front and rear (with the camera rising up to Hagrid's chest only) the Slytherins were being filmed talking about the aftermath of Voldemort's return with Draco, of course, the centre of attention, declaring his father and other Death Eaters would no doubt now win the battle!"

- Mugglenet.<<

Shark_Blade
17-07-07, 10:00
:yik:*screams* It's getting nearer and nearer and I'm getting restless. The book is coming, yeah! :D:jmp: The final book.Currently reading Order of the Phoenix but haven't seen the movie yet until Friday:D

There's something I noticed back then when I watched HP 2 on dvd last night. When Harry arrived in the Chamber of Secrets, Tom Marvolo Riddle said to Harry.

"How can a baby with no magical power can defeat the greatest wizard of all time? How can you escape with just a scar*stuck wand on Harry's forehead*....while Lord Voldemort power were vanquished?"

I mean...what the hell? Didn't he gave Harry the scar?Why did he said escape with a scar?The scar was not a gift from Voldy? Or is it because it's just a memory, and doesn't have a very clear idea and understanding of what Harry Potter really is because he's just ancient, 50 years old memory and soul or something.

Oddchick
17-07-07, 10:03
've not been reading the thread incase i read a spoiler so sorry if this has been posted before... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6902031.stm *currently freaking out*

Rivendell
17-07-07, 10:36
I mean...what the hell? Didn't he gave Harry the scar?Why did he said escape with a scar?The scar was not a gift from Voldy?

Yeah - he's basically questioning how Harry survived with nothing but a scar instead of dying.
I guess he suspected Harry would have a scar after surviving such a curse:

He's not asking 'How did you get that scar?', he's just saying "I tried to kill you, and all you got was a scar!"

BlackGrey
17-07-07, 10:47
I'm going to be on damn holiday on the day of the release, I'll have to wait FIVE WEEKS to get the seventh book :mad:

Rivendell
17-07-07, 11:13
Ouch Rich, I don't envy you! :hug:

Well, here's me 99% kitted out!
http://i12.************/623f385.jpg
..Debating whether or not to get some cheap potter-specs.. Hmm..

L.C
17-07-07, 11:32
..Debating whether or not to get some cheap potter-specs.. Hmm..I say go for it (sorry for wonky lines, I was working very quickly here):

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/ling2c/RivHP.jpg

Shark_Blade
17-07-07, 11:38
LOL! Very nice there Riv:D
I'm thinking of dressing in a black dark robe when I bought the 7th book.

LegenDarY
17-07-07, 11:39
Nice detail of the scar on your forehead there Chris :tmb:. You should definitely get glasss as well :D.

I was wondering something, I read that you could pre-order the book for $9,- that can't be true right? That way Rowling won't make any money. The book is like 30 - 40 over here.

@blackgrey, I feel really sorry for you, I'm already freaking out because I might have to buy it the next day (cause I can't buy it at midnight because I have to work), and there's you who has to wait 5 freaking weeks. But can't you buy it on holiday? I mean which book store doesn't have Harry Potter books? (The ones that have been living under a cage for the past 20 years)

L.C
17-07-07, 11:40
I was wondering something, I read that you could pre-order the book for $9,- that can't be true right? That way Rowling won't make any money. The book is like 30 - 40 over here.The pre-order price in the UK is approx 9, which is one-half the retail price. The dollar and Euro pre-order prices are probably half their respective normal prices.

Real Life Raider
17-07-07, 11:46
Very good Riv but your scar is back to front! :p

L.C
17-07-07, 12:10
I hope no one here's pre-ordered from ASDA!

Times Online Story re ASDA row (http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article2089458.ece)

:eek:

Rivendell
17-07-07, 12:11
:ton:

Lol L.C - ok, that pic sealed the deal for me - I just bought a pair from Ebay. Hope they arrive before Friday night! :jmp:

Shark_Blade
17-07-07, 12:14
lol it's all over the internet about asda. I'm going to nick mine straight from the bookstore.

Rivendell
17-07-07, 12:17
There's got to be an 'Asda Price' joke in there somewhere.. ;)

Check them out being printed!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,30000-1275566,.html

L.C
17-07-07, 12:26
Cheers for that link Rivendell. And I'm glad you're ok with me taking liberty on your photo; you bear a good resemblence to Harry, I just had to nudge it a bit :D

LOL, my ex is a postman; I bet he can't wait till he has all those books to deliver on Saturday!

I love the way the deluxe edition's shipment boxes are printed :tmb:

And I completely forgot about the stamps being done.

Angelus
17-07-07, 13:27
I've pre-ordered it - 8.99 from Waterstones! :tmb:

Now I just have to wait until Saturday... :jmp:

Rivendell
17-07-07, 16:37
This week is taking far far far too long!

Just re-finished HBP minutes ago, now I'm gagging for the last part. There's still so much to do!

ThomasCroft
17-07-07, 17:23
I'm gonna be gutted once I've read the book. No more Harry Potter EVER AGAIN. :(

Oh well ... we've still got the movies.

maximum_123
17-07-07, 17:38
I Can't believe that it has been leaked on the internet. It must be a fake... I mean... how could it be leaked but oh well! The nerve of people. Since like BBC and stuff found it shouldn't they take it off the web? It's still on the internet :yik:

Geck-o-Lizard
17-07-07, 18:56
I've found the leaked version already. :vlol: It's missing about 200 pages tho. o_O

Angelus
17-07-07, 19:18
I've found the leaked version already. :vlol: It's missing about 200 pages tho. o_O

Pssst... who dies? :D

EDIT: I just Googled "Harry Potter 7 Leak" to see what comes up, and I read something very disturbing... I so hope it's not true. :(

EDIT: The leak I glanced at was fake... I think I'll stop searching now. I can wait until Saturday. :)

Dixie
17-07-07, 19:43
This week is taking far far far too long!

Just re-finished HBP minutes ago, now I'm gagging for the last part. There's still so much to do!

I know what you mean! I woke up today thinking it was Thursday...I'm re-reading HBP, but I spread out the reading so that I finish on Friday, and can just continue to DH the next day. I've been re-reading the entire series (or, from another point of view, reading the entire series for the first time). I started the day the publication date was announced (Begining of Feb.).

I don't know exactly when I'll be getting my book. I simply refuse to go to one of those release parties, but I may run down to the local grocery store at midnight if it's alright with my mum. But they always deface the new HP books by putting "40% off" stickers on them(Gasp!). I might just wait till morning and go to the bookstore to get my reserved copy. They give you the book right out of the box!

Rivendell
17-07-07, 19:54
Pssst... who dies? :D

EDIT: I just Googled "Harry Potter 7 Leak" to see what comes up, and I read something very disturbing... I so hope it's not true. :(

Even if it IS the fake one and you're going to mention who that says dies, PLEASE use white coloured font to hide it, because even if it IS fake I don't want to go through the book thinking "Ooh maybe the fake rumour was true!! :eek:"

I've just been looking at the HP-lexicon Hogwarts maps (http://www.hp-lexicon.org/atlas/hogwarts/atlas-h.html), they're pretty cool! None of them are really how I picture the place though.. I guess we all have different visions of the place! :D

I wonder if WH Smiths will give away any freebees again like 2 years ago? Got a free HP scarf with HBP :jmp:

LegenDarY
17-07-07, 20:02
PLEASE use white coloured font to hide it

No don't even do that, post it in here people: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=102353, that's what the thread is for.

Anyway, I bought OoTP for PS3 today, did anyone else get a sort of Marauders Map with the game? I thought that was a little nice extra :D. I've read OoTP and HBP last week and I'm going to see the OoTP movie thursday, this is going to be/has been 2 hell of a Harry Potter weeks :D. I can NOT wait till friday night.

Angelus
17-07-07, 20:04
Don't worry, I won't post any spoilers in the thread - I've even stopped looking for spoilers now, I've waited 2 years for this book, why spoil it? :)

danitiwa
17-07-07, 20:04
MEGA SPOILERS!

I wasn't too happy with the order of the phoenix movie, they cut all the good stuff and stuffed it right into the most boring scenes! :( I was most disappointed that they cut out the part with the brains in the dep of Mysteries. :D When Ron goes mad, that part made me die of laughter in the book. Also they cut the part about Firenze giving them divination lessons, and the centaurs, gone crazy, cause of the MINISTRY?? Nothing of the sort! I think this was the worst movie in the series, like I said: they cut out way too much. Also I wanted to hear Grawp call Hermionie Hermy. :(

However, I think that Umbridge was extrordinary, I loved her. :vlol: She portrayed that sadistic sweetness very well. Also, Tonks was awesome, especially when she does different snouts on herself at the dinner table. :D Isn't she played by Kelly from "Married with Kids"?

Also there's the cherry on top of the sundade: Bellatrix, Helena was brilliant! (As always. :D) I declare her my next avatar! :jmp:

Ok, now that you've read my incredibly long review, you may comment. :D

HP 7 POSSIBLE MEGA SPOILER.
BTW: About the death thing, on yahoo it said it's either Harry or Hermionie.

Mytly
17-07-07, 20:06
Ouch Rich, I don't envy you! :hug:

..Debating whether or not to get some cheap potter-specs.. Hmm..
OMG! :yik:
:vlol:

Is that a wand? How come it's glowing? :eek:

Dingaling
17-07-07, 20:19
I was about to say something about Rivendell and his glowing wand but I've decided to refrain... might be a cause for banning me if I did :p.

I've enjoyed films 1 - 4 and watch them on a regular basis. I've always found the Potter films to be very well made and can always watch them again and again - they never seem to get old. Granted I think they should be longer as a lot of people say they miss quite a lot from the books and it'd be nice to see everything even if I did have to watch a 4 or 5 hour film :D. Can't wait to see order of the Phoenix whenever that is. I just hope there's a lot more of Dumbley-dore, Hagrid, Snape, McGonagall and Mrs. Norris than there was in Goblet of Fire.

Angelus
17-07-07, 20:21
I was about to say something about Rivendell and his glowing wand but I've decided to refrain... might be a cause for banning me if I did :p.

I've enjoyed films 1 - 4 and watch them on a regular basis. I've always found the Potter films to be very well made and can always watch them again and again - they never seem to get old. Granted I think they should be longer as a lot of people say they miss quite a lot from the books and it'd be nice to see everything even if I did have to watch a 4 or 5 hour film :D. Can't wait to see order of the Phoenix whenever that is. I just hope there's a lot more of Dumbley-dore, Hagrid, Snape, McGonagall and Mrs. Norris than there was in Goblet of Fire.

Was it [Is your wand glowing or are you just happy to see me?] ... because that's what I thought after I saw the picture! :p

Riv, you should buy a black robe! :jmp:

Rivendell
17-07-07, 20:29
:vlol: LmFao guys! :vlol:

Ahh Mytly - there's a simple spell you must learn to make your wand glow, and the incantation is "Photoshoppus!" ;)

Lol Angelus, I don't know about a robe, I mean I wouldn't want to look silly or anything! :tea:

Angelus
17-07-07, 20:31
:vlol: LmFao guys! :vlol:

Ahh Mytly - there's a simple spell you must learn to make your wand glow, and the incantation is "Photoshoppus!" ;)

Lol Angelus, I don't know about a robe, I mean I wouldn't want to look silly or anything! :tea:

Lol! :p Your tie is very shiny... :cln: Did you buy the wand and tie just for Friday?

I'd say buy a robe and some Harry Potter specs - then you'd be ready! :D

Dixie
17-07-07, 20:42
Deathly Hallows is interfering with my school work, and I haven't even read it yet! The assignment I'm TRYING to work on is rather hard...and Book 7 theories keep swimming through my mind. By the way, has anyone else ever had an English prof. that made you write a paper on your Top 5 Beatles' songs?

Mytly
17-07-07, 20:43
Ah, the favourite spell of us Muggles! :D

For a moment I thought you had actually succeeded in making Lumos work! :cln: :p

Dixie
17-07-07, 21:19
I've been wondering about the dedication at the begining of the book...In the other books they've been dedicated to friends and family...wonder who she dedicated DH to? I think it'll be a long dedication thanking the fans and such.

Blackmoor
17-07-07, 21:27
The suspense is driving me nuts now!! I hope it isn't all a bit of an anti-climax after everything.

I've been wondering about the dedication at the begining of the book...In the other books they've been dedicated to friends and family...wonder who she dedicated DH to? I think it'll be a long dedication thanking the fans and such.Good idea. And possibly to Harry Potter himself??

---
@Rivendell. Nice picture, the scar suits you... :cool:

Rivendell
17-07-07, 21:46
I just suggested a Harry Potter comp in fanart, go check'it'out! :D

Angel666
17-07-07, 22:50
Deathly Hallows is interfering with my school work, and I haven't even read it yet! The assignment I'm TRYING to work on is rather hard...and Book 7 theories keep swimming through my mind. By the way, has anyone else ever had an English prof. that made you write a paper on your Top 5 Beatles' songs?

Not about the Beatles but I know how you feel. I just finished my Great Gatsby paper today b/c I know that after I get the book my brain won't function for at least a week.

VonCroy360
18-07-07, 04:29
Umm... I just had a weird dream about the DH release. I somehow managed to read it before 2AM (:confused:). Luna died, and Hermione got a job as a teacher in muggle-school.
Now I really hope I'm not a psychic. :(:)

Angelus
18-07-07, 12:36
It seems Waterstones.com has the book in stock... :confused:

£8.99 - List price: £17.99
- You save: £9.00

Availability : Usually despatched within 24 hours
Stock : 10+

Link: Clicky (http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=5783578)

Clara [CA]
18-07-07, 14:02
It has probably already been posted, but as everyone is waiting...
Discover which Harry Potter character you are ! (http://www.brainfall.com/test10_1.php) :D

Dixie
18-07-07, 16:41
It seems Waterstones.com has the book in stock... :confused:

Link: Clicky (http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=5783578)

That's probably because the book will not arrive before Saturday. If it takes a day to ship, and then 1-3 days to arrive...

TombRaiderLover
18-07-07, 17:35
I'm re-reading Order of the Phoenix in preparation of the film. Currently on Page 490.

EDIT: Now P 596.

Dixie
18-07-07, 17:58
Just re-read chapter 28 of HBP. You know the water charm they use to put out the fire? Well, isn't the charm N.E.W.T. level, because Harry learned it in his 6th year? Yet he tells Hagrid the incantation, and manages to perform it correctly with his pink umbrella. It makes you think, Hagrid is more than just a half-giant, he's a wizard. And based on what he did, a VERY GOOD wizard. Perhaps this will play a role in DH.

Incedently, is Hagrid ALLOWED to use magic? Did Dumbledore manage to reverse Hagrid's sentence after what happened in CoS?

danitiwa
18-07-07, 19:00
Dudez am I the only one who's seen the new movie here? O.o

Chris: THE PICTURE! :vlol: That is gold!!

Rivendell
18-07-07, 19:26
Dudez am I the only one who's seen the new movie here? O.o

Nah, I think a few of us have seen it at least once :p

This time tomorrow it'll be just over 24 hours! :eek: :jmp:

Dixie
18-07-07, 20:10

Unless you're one of the 120,000 people in the US who ordered it from that site...deepdiscounts.com or something....they sent out DH on Tuesday! :cen:

Angelus
18-07-07, 21:22

:eek: And I'm still waiting for Goblet of Fire to arrive on DVD! :mad:

Hyper_Crazy
18-07-07, 22:17
I decided on my next avatar.

The reason for all the random scribbles on it is because if anyone steals it, yeh, they'll have the weirdest avatar ever. :D

http://i14.************/5yur6ls.jpg

Angelus
18-07-07, 22:19
That's an awesome picture! :tmb:

3 daaaaaaaays! :jmp:

AmericanAssassin
18-07-07, 22:20
As I said through PM, amazing avatar HC! ;)

Rivendell
18-07-07, 22:21
Wicked avatar Hyper! :jmp:

Angelus
18-07-07, 22:21
As I said through PM, amazing avatar HP! ;)

Hello AA! :wve:

Are you looking forward to Saturday? :D

AmericanAssassin
18-07-07, 22:23
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it! Mignight madness!!! :jmp: I'm undecided if I'll read the book quickly or take it slow, and enjoy every bit of it... :D

Hyper_Crazy
18-07-07, 22:24
Heh, thanks everyone. ;]

AA - Don't read it quickly, remember this is the last book, take it slow.

LegenDarY
18-07-07, 22:30
It's thursday, this means that it'll be out tomorrow :D.

Angelus
18-07-07, 22:31
:off: Where do I get my new avatar uploaded?

Hyper_Crazy
18-07-07, 22:32

PM Neteru. :)

AmericanAssassin
18-07-07, 22:32

Send it to Neteru. ;)

EDIT: HC beat me to it... Even so...

Angelus
18-07-07, 22:36
Thank you. :tmb:

I can't wait to finally have Deathly Hallows in my hands!

VonCroy360
19-07-07, 05:52
41 hours...

I was just thinking, what do you think will happen to the fan base after all this is over? I mean, I'll still love the books, movies and pay attention to everything that comes out, but do you think most people will just forget about it and "move on"? :)

danitiwa
19-07-07, 06:52

Man I CAN NOT get enough of HBC, and she's one of the luckiest women in the world! Married to a Film Genius, AND her acting is ttly awesome lol. Muahah, I know my next halloween costume! :mis: Bellatrix Lestrange!! :mis: (My next AVATAR however is a black cat. :p)

Rivendell
19-07-07, 08:33
Apparently the NY TImes has obtained the leaked copy, and printed a review of the book which contains huge spoilers.

I'll be a hermit by the time I get the book!

Edit: My glasses arrived! :yah: :D They look well funny- I'll post a pic later :D

Mytly
19-07-07, 09:55
Just re-read chapter 28 of HBP. You know the water charm they use to put out the fire? Well, isn't the charm N.E.W.T. level, because Harry learned it in his 6th year? Yet he tells Hagrid the incantation, and manages to perform it correctly with his pink umbrella. It makes you think, Hagrid is more than just a half-giant, he's a wizard. And based on what he did, a VERY GOOD wizard. Perhaps this will play a role in DH.

Incedently, is Hagrid ALLOWED to use magic? Did Dumbledore manage to reverse Hagrid's sentence after what happened in CoS?
I have always wondered about Hagrid's use of magic. After all, it doesn’t seem possible to live within the magical community without using at least some amount of magic - for example, you need a wand to get into Diagon Alley. So if Hagrid isn't supposed to be using any magic, how did he manage to survive in the magical world at all, let alone for more than 50 years? Also, after CoS (when his name is cleared) he still carries his wand concealed inside his umbrella ... so it's not clear whether he is still allowed to use magic or not. Maybe the fact that he didn't complete his schooling means that he can’t use magic, though his name was cleared?

I guess that he has always used magic, but surreptitiously. He is probably careful not to do so around people he doesn’t trust, but otherwise he probably uses magic just as much as any fully qualified wizard. That’s probably how he can do the Aguamenti spell – it’s a very useful and practical spell. Granted, it’s a NEWT level spell, but after all, Hagrid is much older than NEWT level students – he’s had plenty of time to practise it.

Fish.
19-07-07, 09:57
I honestly don't care for Harry Potter, but my brother does... which means we'll be at Wal-Mart at midnight to get the book :rolleyes:

Angelus
19-07-07, 10:06
41 hours...

I was just thinking, what do you think will happen to the fan base after all this is over? I mean, I'll still love the books, movies and pay attention to everything that comes out, but do you think most people will just forget about it and "move on"? :)

I'd say no - just look at Tomb Raider.

2 days! :jmp: Less that 48 hours to go!

Shark_Blade
19-07-07, 10:12
41 hours...

Maybe. Just like the Star Wars craze, now it seems to die out. But I'll love JKRowlings books always, nonetheless.It's one of the best book series I've ever read, Ever! Ever, ever,ever,ever,ever...:p

A little bit of my life story and how Harry Potter has influenced it. I was 15 years old and my exams (equivalent to OWLs exams sort of) was terrible. I got 4Bs and 4Cs, gosh I sucked back then! I was lazy and depressed, and being a bit rebellious even at that time at school. I got called to the Principal's office and staff room for quite some time too.

One day I stumble upon a Harry Potter book (Sorcerer's Stone) and I read somewhere from an entertainment magazine that the book is actually quite good. It occured to me that "Harry Potter" sounds like a "pot of gold" to me, funny thing. So one day I got hold of the first book and started reading it, and loving it by the end.

One of the character, Hermione, is really annoying being this Know-it-All but something about her caught my attention. I kinda worked out how knowledge is power but people neglected it even though it's right under their nose. She knows magic and she knows it by learning it all by heart through the books that she can muster. The irony is everybody have the same facilities and stuff but do they make use of it to the max? No! Only she does.

So the character has left a remarkable change to me. I was into studying again, I took it really seriously. I asked teachers straight away when I don't understand stuff like she used to. I was commited to class too. I was commited to the school library, hell I even became a school librarian in the end. Ok, I'm not really madly obssess with her, like having posters of her in my bedroom and oogle at her all the time, lol that's weird. I was inspired by her in a good way.:)

And by the time I got to my final exams before going to college( equivalent of NEWTs exam), I was the top student in my school. I couldn't believe it, and I was really happy and honoured.

So I'm very thankful for Rowling's wonderful books that inspire me and many other people's lives. Because Hermione has left such a deep meaning to me, that's why I have my avatar as her when I first join the forum:p

Now it's all over in a couple of days. It's been fun but all good things must come to an end, and it has been good whilst it last.:D

Angelus
19-07-07, 10:15
It's nearly over... I've just finished the last A Series or Unfortunate Events book, too - and I've been getting those books since 2002. :(

I hope Harry gets a happy ending, after everything he's been through. :tmb:

pEhouse
19-07-07, 10:19
I went to the movies last night to see the fifth movie and I have to admit I'm very disappointed.. A lot of stuff was missing or twisted. But it's a book of 1024 pages (in german at least ;)) so I figured it was gonna be nearly impossible to put everything in a 2 hr movie.

Rivendell
19-07-07, 10:22
With 36 hours and 30 mins left until release, I'm finally all kitted out ready for going :D

http://i12.************/5xsy0w4.jpg

You were right L.C - the glasses were a must! :tmb:

xcrushterx
19-07-07, 10:26
With 36 hours and 30 mins left until release, I'm finally all kitted out ready for going :D

LOL Chris :D The look suits you :p 36 hours and 30 mins left to go :jmp: Not long now.

I really CAN'T wait xD

Clara [CA]
19-07-07, 10:26

WOOT ! This pic ROCKS ! :D

Now it's all over in a couple of days. It's been fun but all good things must come to an end, and it has been good whilst it last.:D
:) I agree. Although I'm looking forward to know what happens, I'm a little bit blue because after that, it will be done. Well, the book is already printed and has probably shipped to lots of shops, so... it is over already.

Sara Croft
19-07-07, 10:30
Riv.. How come you have a scar when it was only harry who got it when you-know-who tried to kill him? :confused: :p
Nice costume ;)

I cant wait til' Harry potter and the deathly hallows!

L.C
19-07-07, 10:35

You were right L.C - the glasses were a must! :tmb:Perfect!

Shark_Blade
19-07-07, 10:37
Cool outfit Riv. :D

Rivendell
19-07-07, 11:16
Bah I'm going insane! This week can't possibly go any slower... could it?

I need to find something fun to do to take my mind off it until tomorrow. Any suggestions? ;)

Ada the Mental
19-07-07, 11:29
I had an awful nightmare! I saw that I woke up on July 21st at 5.00 AM (which is a bit absurd)) and I was all excited about getting the book. But then everyone started acting as though the book was not going to be released that day and asking me what I was on about and I wanted to check on the internet that the book was coming out but I was too scared in case I got spoiled. :yik:
I'm going crazy.:tea:

I need to find something fun to do to take my mind off it until tomorrow. Any suggestions? ;)

I know how you feel...I just wish I could sleep till Saturday. It's not as if I have something better to do...

Well you could always spent all the day online , or get something to read, or rent a dozen of movies and watch them all in a row...
I think I'm going to do the latter.

Sara Croft
19-07-07, 11:40

You got the Harry potter movies? If so, watch all the movies you have! :D

Shark_Blade
19-07-07, 11:42
I watched Goblet of Fire before. :D And read the 5th book. And yeah, I do feel time is passing by real slow when you're waiting for something desperately. Come on 21st!!

Lara Lover
19-07-07, 11:59
Cannot wait for the book. It'll take my mind of things thats for sure. :)

I'm going to read the 6th book all today and all tomorrow so I remind myself whats going on with the story so far. Cannot wait.

Anyone else going to the midnight release in their country/area? :p

Shark_Blade
19-07-07, 12:05
^Doesn't everyone? :p

Angelus
19-07-07, 13:49
Goblet of Fire DVD arrived before! I'm off to watch it now!

:jmp:

Shark_Blade
19-07-07, 14:10
^yeah but something bugged me, [rant]there's no J.K. Rowling interview in there. I mean we had them in the second and third movie:/ [/rant over]

Oh and I love that Emma's ball costume has different phase until they finally decide which one to go with, the early ones look ghastly!

LegenDarY
19-07-07, 15:24

I'm probably not, because I have to work. I'm STILL trying to figure out how I'm going to buy the book at midnight. It could be potentially problematic :p.

Lavinder
19-07-07, 15:44

Not me, :p No one I know likes the books as much as me, and my parents are miserable gits, so I'll probably end up getting it late :( I'm going to have to avoid the internet for spoilers :p

LegenDarY
19-07-07, 16:06
If have one HUGE request for visiters of this thread. Since some of us are getting the book a little later, maybe it would be wise to post everything DH related in the DH thread (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=102353).

This way everyone who's read the book can discuss it openly and the rest can still visit this thread without having to be afraid of reading crucial spoilers.

L.C
19-07-07, 16:55
Can you believe this?

Fans queuing up in London (http://photo.wenn.com/index.php?ref=harry%20potter%20fans%20180707&version=int)

Joe_16
19-07-07, 17:16
Saw the new movie a couple of days ago. It was very enjoyable.

Rivendell
19-07-07, 17:22
Can you believe this?

Fans queuing up in London (http://photo.wenn.com/index.php?ref=harry%20potter%20fans%20180707&version=int)

How ace is that? Wish I was there! There must be such a buzzing atmosphere :jmp:

L.C
19-07-07, 17:31
You'd put the other Harry lookalikes to shame, sir!

Rivendell
19-07-07, 17:39
:hug: :D Why thankye fellow muggle!

Just over 29 hours to go! :yah:

Greenkey2
19-07-07, 17:43

Looking like that? Hmmm, the possibilities... :whi: :mis:

My copy's arriving neat and shiny in the post. This time I must force myself not to read the whole thing in one go - I did that with Order of the Phoenix and felt like I needed a week in hospital afterwards :(

Angelus
19-07-07, 18:19
I just had an idea while watching Goblet of Fire...

Maybe Harry's scar is one of Voldemort's horcruxes? And Harry will have to kill himself in order to kill Voldemort...

Greenkey2
19-07-07, 18:22

Maybe Harry's scar is one of Voldemort's horcruxes? And Harry will have to kill himself in order to kill Voldemort...

Interesting theory :tmb: I like it... and not long to find out if it's true :jmp:

Sara Croft
19-07-07, 18:28

I doubt it. Voldemort 'died' by making the scar, and had no chance to make it his horcrux.
Besides, Harry has to be the one that kills Voldemort afaik, so if he had to kill himself he couldnt kill voldemort.

rewak
19-07-07, 18:30
I have to admit it is soooo tempting to just post what happens, i dont know why though. I wont though, dont worry, im a nice person :)

Dixie
19-07-07, 19:51

That's a popular theory, actually. 'Specially with those morons on mugglenet.

I actually got a bit...upset...over the book coming out this weekend(for about a second). See, I ordered a book that I HAVE to have for my English class on monday from Barnes and Noble's website, but it is being delayed FIVE DAYS because apparently Harry Potter is more important.

EDIT: Well, it IS, but that won't matter to my professor.

Blackmoor
19-07-07, 21:12
I have to admit it is soooo tempting to just post what happens, i dont know why though. I wont though, dont worry, im a nice person :)Thank you. I think I'd scream out loud for real if someone did that on here and I read it.

I can't understand how the New York Times (or whichever newspaper it is, I think it's them) can be such killjoys and post the conclusion in such a major piece of media. People have waited years for the answer to this. It's takes a very special kind of miserable person to do that I reckon. And for what? How many more sales have they achieved for that day because of it? Probably what amounts to a paltry few $100,000 profit... :rolleyes:

Dixie
19-07-07, 21:23
Did anyone else wake up to a call from Jim Dale this morning? Ha...If you pre-ordered from Borders you should have...It was an automated message from Jim Dale (the guy that does the audiobooks) reminding you about picking up your book on saturday. I was laughing madly for an hour after listening to it...:jmp:

Dingaling
19-07-07, 21:28
HARRY FLIES ON HIS BROOM AND SMACKS INTO A WALL AND GETS EATEN BY A VENUS FLY TRAP AND DIES IN DEATHLY HALLOWS!** *spoiler*

Haha, I don't actually know what happens :D. I seem to be excited about this for no reason as I don't read the books. I just want to know what happens ^_^. Maybe J.K might make me pick up this final book.

I read a few pages of the first book and didn't like it so I've never really read any others and just watched the films (as a few of you know) but I do always try to give a second chance (it made me pick up "Crackdown" for the 360 after initially not liking the demo - I love the game now). Maybe "Deathly Hallows" will be le second chance.

*Casually walks out of thread and onto MSN to see if someone will talk to him about HP*

** No doubt someone will have just had a heart attack about fake spoiler :p

Lara Lover
19-07-07, 22:17
I need a way to pre-order my copy so I get it first thing on Saturday morning. Any online stores still taking orders so I get it first thing on Sat? :)

rewak
19-07-07, 22:55
Thank you. I think I'd scream out loud for real if someone did that on here and I read it.

I can't understand how the New York Times (or whichever newspaper it is, I think it's them) can be such killjoys and post the conclusion in such a major piece of media. People have waited years for the answer to this. It's takes a very special kind of miserable person to do that I reckon. And for what? How many more sales have they achieved for that day because of it? Probably what amounts to a paltry few $100,000 profit... :rolleyes:

Im not a huge huge huge fan of the series. I like it, i enjoy the movies and i've read the first 2 books and started reading the 4th but gave up in the middle of the Quidditch World Cup (so not very far in). I just wanted to know what happened really, was very curious, but i would never ever go and tell someone who is a big fan (or any kind of fan for that matter) what happens. I think these people who were running along the queues last year shouting spoilers were total (for lack or a better phrase) ****-wits. Id say take an iPod tonight, plug in both ears up load and dont take em out till you've got the book and your safely back home!

Rivendell
19-07-07, 22:57
24 hours to go folks! :jmp:

LegenDarY
19-07-07, 23:03
That's actually my biggest fear at the moment. Someone ruining the end of the book before I've read it.

I mean this is something a lot of people have been waiting for for years. And think about it, the next generation that will read the books will probably know the ending cause it is so wel-known by then. We will be the only ones who will the discover the ending at the END. :D (Or everybody, including the internet, is so nice and considerate in the future that the ending will be kept secret for future readers).

People, since it's already friday, the opening is tonight :D.

EDIT: Wow, what a coincidence I honestly didn't read that Chris. I was typing this post while you posted that.

Real Life Raider
19-07-07, 23:14
24 hours to go folks! :jmp:

Omg....no reading newspapers, internet explorer reigned in, no listening to casual conversations.......

Ok, I'm spoiler proof and ready! :cln:

Lara Lover
20-07-07, 01:00
The countdown begins!

22 hours to go! :jmp:

Dixie
20-07-07, 01:13
See thats why the release isn't fair. JKR said that she wants everyone to be able to get it at the same time, yet the UK is getting it 5-8 hours before the US, depending on where you live.:hea:

Lara Lover
20-07-07, 01:24
Maybe she meant the same date? :p

VonCroy360
20-07-07, 13:32
See thats why the release isn't fair. JKR said that she wants everyone to be able to get it at the same time, yet the UK is getting it 5-8 hours before the US, depending on where you live.:hea:

Umm... Everyone gets it at the same time. I know Croatia is GMT+1, and we'll get it on 1 AM (GMT Midnight) :)

Within hours you will know what happens to Harry, Ron, Hermione and the rest in their final adventure. All the secrets I have been carrying around for so long will be yours, too, and those who guessed correctly will be vindicated, and those who guessed wrongly will not, I hope, be too disappointed! As for me, I feel a heady mixture of excitement, nerves and relief. 'Deathly Hallows' remains my favourite of the series, even after several re-reads; I cannot wait to share it with the readers who have stuck with me through six previous books.

566 minutes...

Jake Croft
20-07-07, 13:55
Wow, asdas selling it for £5 now after 12...
Im going at 12 for it mum just agreed to take me:D

LegenDarY
20-07-07, 13:56
8 hours and 4 minutes.

I have a bad feeling that someone wishes to be funny and shouts out the ending in the book store. Or the person behind the counter wants to be funny and says the ending while I'm paying for the book. If something like that actually happens, I think I will be going in a blind rage.

Other than that, nothing but OVER excitement :D.

EDIT:
Wow, asdas selling it for £5 now after 12...
Im going at 12 for it mum just agreed to take me:D

I don't get it, why is the book so cheap everywhere? Doesn't Rowling want to make any money? And why is it so expensive over here. The book wil probably be around €40,-.