PDA

View Full Version : The queen of New Zealand Just Died

Min
21-08-06, 07:37
I just walked past the television to see the report on the death/funeral of the Mauri Queen.

She had a massive funeral in which she was carried up a massive hill.

I didnt think anyone would care, but you know. She was a queen :P

NZ is Australia's nemisis btw

Angelx14
21-08-06, 07:43
Really? I even didn't know that.

Autolycus
21-08-06, 07:44
Maybe i don't get out much, but i did'nt even know New Zealand had a Queen.

Rivendell
21-08-06, 07:49
Wow, a Mauri Queen.. Sounds interesting! R.i.P to her, though I just found out of her existance!

Min
21-08-06, 07:51

:vlol: I guess they dont now!

OK better stop being mean now, a kiwi may stumble across this thread

angelika
21-08-06, 07:53
NZ is Australia's nemisis btw

I thought it was an independent country.

Rivendell
21-08-06, 07:55
Most countries don't 'get on' with their next door neighbour.. it's odd.

tr_mitch
21-08-06, 07:57
RIP Unknown Entity.

thepetemaster
21-08-06, 07:58

What are you talking about Riv? Us Brits love France ;)

Sorry to hear about the Queens death, never made the news here at all. Weird.

Elysia
21-08-06, 08:03
What are you talking about Riv? Us Brits love France
Results from an actual survey of Portsmouth children about what scares them the most:

1) Parents dying.
2) Being taken away / kidnapped.
3) The French....

.... ahhhh, nothing beats old, completely irrelevant-in-today's-society prejudices :D

Autolycus
21-08-06, 08:05
I think you're speaking for a small majority,unfortuantly.

Tomb of Legends
21-08-06, 08:12
Bull**** NZ is our Nemisis. The 2 countries get along fine! We havent fired rockets at each other have we XD (because NZ dont have a half decent army XD)

Elysia
21-08-06, 08:13
I think you're speaking for a small majority,unfortuantly.

I just find it infinitely amusing that there are kiddies who can't sleep at night, worrying about the French...

... I wonder if kids from Cherbourg have the same problem? 'Ahhh, mama, I 'cannot sleep... L'Anglais, they 'aunt ma dreams...'

Only in England, I tells ya... :D

Neteru
21-08-06, 08:15
National rivalries, real or imagined are irrelevant to the topic thank you. ;)

NZ mourns death of Maori queen

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41438000/jpg/_41438817_queenap203.jpg

A week of mourning has begun in New Zealand, to mark the death of the revered queen of the indigenous Maori population.

Te Arikinui Dame Te Atairangikaahu died on Tuesday at the age of 75, after a reign of more than 40 years. According to Maori protocol, the lavish ceremonies will culminate in her burial on the sacred mountain of Taupiri. She was the longest serving head of the Kingitanga movement - the royal line, which started almost 150 years ago. The movement was started in an effort to stem the loss of native lands to the flood of white settlers arriving in New Zealand.

'Quiet dignity'

Dame Te Ata, as she was popularly known, died in her ancestral home in the North Island town of Ngaruawahia late on Tuesday. Hundreds of mourners have already congregated in the area to pay their respects. Nanaia Mahuta, family spokeswoman for Dame Te Ata, told New Zealand media that Dame Te Ata was "tireless in terms of ensuring there was a good relationships throughout all peoples of New Zealand." New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark said: "A mighty kauri (tree) has fallen." Dame Te Ata was the longest serving head of the Kingitanga movement, gaining the title of queen the day her father was buried in 1966.

Though the position is largely ceremonial, she enjoyed huge respect among both Maori and other New Zealanders - and was often consulted by senior politicians. She was also recognised abroad as a cultural ambassador for the Maori people - and met many diplomatic and royal visitors. Her successor is expected to be named during the week of mourning. If tradition is followed, one of her seven children will inherit the post.

In a rare interview, given in March 2003, she hinted that one of her sons would be chosen. "My feeling at the moment is that the people are ready for a male heir to take over," she said. The Maori people make up about 15% of New Zealand's four million people.

Story: bbc.co.uk (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4797003.stm)

New Zealand Maori choose new king

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41994000/jpg/_41994906_afp203bodyking.jpg

Elders from New Zealand's indigenous Maori population have named 51-year-old Tuheitia Paki as their new king.

King Tuheitia, a university manager and cultural adviser, was chosen at a secret meeting in Ngaruawahia village. He is the eldest son of the previous monarch, Te Arikinui Dame Te Atairangikaahu, who died last week. Dame Te Ata held the throne for 40 years, making her the longest-serving monarch in the 150 years since the Maori began choosing their leaders.

Public approval

King Tuheitia has a wife, Te Atawhai, and three children. He is the seventh Maori monarch - all are from the same family line and were each chosen by Maori leaders from other tribes. His naming and enthronement happened shortly before the funeral of his mother Dame Te Ata, who died at 75.

Thousands of Maori had gathered at the traditional meeting place in Ngaruawahia for both events and before King Tuheitia was crowned, the crowd was asked if he should become monarch. Having been given the people's approval he was then crowned in a simple ceremony which involved him being tapped on the head with a Bible - the same Bible was used to crown the six previous Maori monarchs.

Full story: bbc.co.uk (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/5269822.stm)

Autolycus
21-08-06, 08:18
I just find it infinitely amusing that there are kiddies who can't sleep at night, worrying about the French...

... I wonder if kids from Cherbourg have the same problem? 'Ahhh, mama, I 'cannot sleep... L'Anglais, they 'aunt ma dreams...'

Only in England, I tells ya... :D

:vlol: :vlol:

Min
21-08-06, 08:19
Bull**** NZ is our Nemisis. The 2 countries get along fine! We havent fired rockets at each other have we XD (because NZ dont have a half decent army XD)

I meant rugby and cricket And just in general you idiot!

Thanks for the info neturu, I missed the report so I didnt get all the details

Angelx14
21-08-06, 08:25

Same here.:D

Greenkey2
21-08-06, 10:53
Thanks for the info Min and Neteru :wve:

Scionic Evil
21-08-06, 10:55

like those damn scots.

Cochrane
21-08-06, 11:01
Why is there any problem with English and Scottish? As seen from here, both speak the same language and sit all day on the same island, so they are practically the same, aren't they? :D

Andromeda66
21-08-06, 11:45

I know :(

Scionic Evil
21-08-06, 11:59
Why is there any problem with English and Scottish? As seen from here, both speak the same language and sit all day on the same island, so they are practically the same, aren't they? :D

HELL NO! that is an insult to an englishman

Autolycus
21-08-06, 12:10

HELL NO! that is an insult to an englishman

Ditto!!

laracroft2122
21-08-06, 12:19
RIP

Blackmoor
21-08-06, 16:46
:D LMAO, if only!! I lived with a French person and they know that to defeat the English they only have to put up a few "Queue Here" signs...

Or so they told me anyway. ;)

Scottlee
21-08-06, 16:49
"Min", please refrain from trashy insults.

Twiin
21-08-06, 17:08
Hmm, please don't start with the Scots vs English thing - I'm half English, and half Scottish by heritage, and I don't see the big problem!

Real Life Lara
21-08-06, 17:14
Hmm, please don't start with the Scots vs English thing - I'm half English, and half Scottish by heritage, and I don't see the big problem!

Amen ;) Same here with the half thing.

RIP to her anyway... I too never knew about her but its always sad hearing about the death of someone so I hope the country and everyone are alright.

Scionic Evil
21-08-06, 17:48

The only good thing between the english and the scottish is Hadrians wall. (bah shame it's crumbled now).

Rivendell
21-08-06, 17:52
Wow! Let's let the passing of this N.Z queen spawn some inner kingdom racism!

:whi:

Scionic Evil
21-08-06, 18:02
Wow! Let's let the passing of this N.Z queen spawn some inner kingdom racism!

:whi:

We are the ones who have given so much to this world.

We are the ones who have touched this planet like no others.

We are the ones who have so much of which to be proud.

Walk on. Stand tall...

We are the English!

Rivendell
21-08-06, 18:41
Indeed! (http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_sounds/hg/whokill.wav)

Taleigha
21-08-06, 19:05
oh i wont sleep tonight.

Walk on. Stand tall...

We are the English!

omg. have you seen Braveheart? i mean... walk on? stand tall? i couldnt do that if i was english. and it aint just braveheart - i mean the trouble the english cause... dont get me started. im gonna shut up now.

Lone Raider
21-08-06, 19:10

Walk on. Stand tall...

We are the English!

Gosh. How very touching.

Pipolinne
21-08-06, 19:14
Is interesting to know the Maori had a queen,as such a loved and respected one!

I remember watching the "Whale Rider" film,about how it was difficult for a woman to become a Maori leader. I wonder if perhaps they or the book author took inspiration from Te Arikinui Dame Te Atairangikaahu's life.

Scionic Evil
21-08-06, 19:14
Indeed! (http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_sounds/hg/whokill.wav)

http://www.partypants.co.uk/images/wigs-ginger-beard-jock.jpg

lol

Scionic Evil
21-08-06, 19:30
oh i wont sleep tonight.

omg. have you seen Braveheart? i mean... walk on? stand tall? i couldnt do that if i was english. and it aint just braveheart - i mean the trouble the english cause... dont get me started. im gonna shut up now.

The trouble English cause?

If Scotland wasn't part of the Union it wouldn't survive! It's us English who are funding you. Why do you think 850,000 scots are in England?

In Scotland, students get free university education (paid for by English taxpayers).

Also, the real funny part is, England needs NEITHER the EU OR Scotland for ANYTHING! hence why labour and the EU are trying to carve England up into little feeble bite size scotland pieces

The bottom line is that without England, Wales and Scotland are stuffed.

Real Life Lara
21-08-06, 19:33
The trouble English cause?

If Scotland wasn't part of the Union it wouldn't survive! It's us English who are funding you. Why do you think 850,000 scots are in England?

In Scotland, students get free university education (paid for by English taxpayers).

Also, the real funny part is, England needs NEITHER the EU OR Scotland for ANYTHING! hence why labour and the EU are trying to carve England up into little feeble bite size scotland pieces

The bottom line is that without England, Wales and Scotland are stuffed.

No, the bottom line is this thread is a memorial of respect to a Queen who has just passed. Keep it that way and take the Scottish/English debates elsewhere. They have no place here.

Scionic Evil
21-08-06, 19:34
Scotland isn't Scottish
I came across an interesting morsel the other day, and thought I'd share it with you?

The kilt was invented in Ireland. So was Scotland, which is named after the Scoti who were Irish. Scottish is a dialect of Irish. The bagpipes were invented in Asia. Porridge was invented in Ancient China, as was whisky, which was also independently discovered by the Italians. Haggis was invented in Ancient Rome. Hogmanay is a French invention and a French word, and clan tartans were invented by the English.

Scionic Evil
21-08-06, 19:36
No, the bottom line is this thread is a memorial of respect to a Queen who has just passed. Keep it that way and take the Scottish/English debates elsewhere. They have no place here.

hey i didnt start this arguement

Taleigha
21-08-06, 19:36
It's us English who are funding you.
me? why must you assume im scottish bawsack?

Real Life Lara
21-08-06, 19:37
Didnt say you did, but it should stop here. ;)

Ill finish with the phrase 'we're all human.'

Scionic Evil
21-08-06, 19:38
Didnt say you did, but it should stop here. ;)

Nope we arn't all human. Read some social darwinism.

Real Life Lara
21-08-06, 19:39
Nope we arn't all human. Read some social darwinism.

Oh for :cen: sake, I give up...

Taleigha
21-08-06, 19:39
well exactly. and thats really great about all the facts and stuff 'scionic guy' but im not really interested.

Elysia
21-08-06, 19:42
Sorry... I'm English / Irish (grandfather) and married to a half Welsh bloke... but Braveheart? That's the biggest bloody fantasy story out! Yes, the English have been responsible for some pretty poor behaviour (as has every single bloomin' nation out there....), but 'True, brave Scots vs. Evil English lairds'? It's all bollocks, you realise? Droit de Signeur, William Wallace being anything other than a criminal, the 'English wanting Scotland'... it's all utter Hollywoodised tosh.

Oh, and Scionic Evil... you're not endearing yourself to anyone and just living up to the stereotype the English have been trying to shake off for a long time... you're not doing us fellow English people ANY favours.

Taleigha
21-08-06, 19:46
Sorry... I'm English / Irish (grandfather) and married to a half Welsh bloke... but Braveheart? That's the biggest bloody fantasy story out! Yes, the English have been responsible for some pretty poor behaviour (as has every single bloomin' nation out there....), but 'True, brave Scots vs. Evil English lairds'? It's all bollocks, you realise? Droit de Signeur, William Wallace being anything other than a criminal, the 'English wanting Scotland'... it's all utter Hollywoodised tosh.

thats a great story! tell it again...

Scionic Evil
21-08-06, 19:48

Oh, and Scionic Evil... you're not endearing yourself to anyone and just living up to the stereotype the English have been trying to shake off for a long time... you're not doing us fellow English people ANY favours.

All i've done is point out the facts about Scotland and Wales.

tha_mattster
21-08-06, 19:53
All i've done is point out the facts about Scotland and Wales.

You havent given any facts, you've just spat out a load of prejudiced crap.

Scionic Evil
21-08-06, 19:55
You havent given any facts, you've just spat out a load of prejudiced crap.

Are you completely thick? Scroll back and read my comments, it's all fact.

Elysia
21-08-06, 19:56
Are you completely thick? Scroll back and read my comments, it's all fact.
Would you like to stop insulting people? Whether is is 'fact' or 'fiction', there's no excuse for being rude to people...

Taleigha
21-08-06, 19:58
i just realised something - she's right! this is about that woman from new zealand. and yet some putz had to turn it into some 'english are better than everyone' debate. so typically english...

Blackmoor
21-08-06, 20:02

The bottom line is that without England, Wales and Scotland are stuffed.Yes we do need Scotland and Wales. Because we are the United Kingdom of Great Britain. And most of us like it that way thank you.

And it's not true to say Scotland and Wales wouldn't be anything without England. Because of our shared history as a nation, London has become a focal point for the interests of all the countries... and it's wealth has benefited accordingly. It is here where most of the nation's wealth is situated as a result.

Everyone has contributed.

It's as ridiculous as saying Norfolk or Yorkshire would be nothing without the rest of the country.

Rivendell
Isn't there something in the T&C about racially inciting posts? :confused:

Scionic Evil
i just realised something - she's right! this is about that woman from new zealand. and yet some putz had to turn it into some 'english are better than everyone' debate

As i said i didnt start the arguement.

Taleigha
21-08-06, 20:03
The only good thing between the english and the scottish is Hadrians wall. (bah shame it's crumbled now).
oh DIDNT you??

Real Life Lara
21-08-06, 20:04
As i said i didnt start the arguement.

Better not to continue it either then ;)

Scionic Evil
21-08-06, 20:05
oh DIDNT you??

that's a fact not an insult. Like the best thing between the english and the french is the sea.

Elysia
21-08-06, 20:06
Oh, for the love of Pete, give it a bloody REST!

RIP NZ Queen.

Taleigha
that's a fact not an insult. Like the best thing between the english and the french is the sea.
...youre an idiot.

Yes we do need Scotland and Wales. Because we are the United Kingdom of Great Britain. And most of us like it that way thank you.

And it's not true to say Scotland and Wales wouldn't be anything without England. Because of our shared history as a nation, London has become a focal point for the interests of all the countries... and it's wealth has benefited accordingly. It is here where most of the nation's wealth is situated as a result.

Everyone has contributed.

It's as ridiculous as saying Norfolk or Yorkshire would be nothing without the rest of the country.
i like blackmoor ;)

Taleigha
-deleted-

Dingaling
21-08-06, 20:09
Rest in Peace Kiwi Queen :)

Scionic Evil
21-08-06, 20:09
...youre an idiot.

i like blackmoor ;)

No i'm not an idiot, i'm just fighting for England or what's left of it

"There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word,
which means more to me than any other.
That word is ENGLAND"

Elysia
21-08-06, 20:11

"There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word,
which means more to me than any other.
That word is ENGLAND"
And at the grand old age of 16.... BNP website, is that-a-way if you want to continue, you know.

NOW - can ALL camps pack this in? Please?

Rivendell
21-08-06, 20:13
Does anyone remember the days of peace? When the birds and the bees would fly in harmony? The English would talk to the Welsh, The American and Canadians would chat happily, the Scottish and Irish would laugh with eachother, and then something happened, and now the birds are trying to eat the bees, but the bee's are stinging & everyone's quarrelling.

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/confused009.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)
When are the days mentioned above coming back guys?

Scionic Evil
21-08-06, 20:16
And at the grand old age of 16.... BNP website, is that-a-way if you want to continue, you know.

NOW - can ALL camps pack this in? Please?

I have no interest in BNP i'm a proud UEP member though

Taleigha
21-08-06, 20:17

youre fighting for england? ugh, join the army or something and get back to the subject at hand.

Scionic Evil
21-08-06, 20:25
youre fighting for england? ugh, join the army or something and get back to the subject at hand.

Join the army? lol that's my point entirely theres no english in it. Our country has no protection

Elysia
21-08-06, 20:29
Oh, for the love of...

Come on, Riv. Lets go and talk about the AE trailer somewhere... this topic'll get locked anyway.

Neteru
22-08-06, 07:19
If any member posts off topic again in this thread, your post will be deleted and you'll be taking a break from this forum.

GodOfLight
22-08-06, 07:32
i had hoped it would be the queen of england. it's about time old lizzie kicks the bucket...

badboy70
22-08-06, 07:35
i had hoped it would be the queen of england. it's about time old lizzie kicks the bucket...
that's friendly :D

Min
22-08-06, 07:48

:vlol:

and would everyone please stop hi-jacking my bloody thread! This is southern-Hemisphere buisness, I dont give a rats arse how much the english hate the scots or vise verser.

And yes thanks Neteru, who cares. My kiwi jokes are just that, jokes. Its natural in australia and NZ we always insult each other, tough love.

Untill youve lived in australia you cant tell me my insults are trashy.