PDA

View Full Version : US judge rules wiretaps illegal

Neteru
21-08-06, 14:55
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41984000/jpg/_41984822_bbc203hand.jpg

A secret wiretapping scheme brought in as part of the Bush administration's war on terror is unconstitutional and must stop, a federal judge has ruled.

The programme, approved by President Bush in 2001, allows for the monitoring of millions of US citizens' phone calls abroad without the need for a warrant. Civil liberties campaigners brought the case against the programme, which was uncovered by the US media. The White House says the scheme is legal and is seeking an appeal.

In her 43-page ruling on the case, Judge Anna Diggs Taylor in Detroit said that the surveillance programme violated protections on free speech and privacy. "Plaintiffs have prevailed, and the public interest is clear, in this matter. It is the upholding of our constitution," Judge Taylor wrote.

Full story bbc.co.uk (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5260892.stm)

Catapharact
21-08-06, 15:01
Already read this one.

Yeah, that's one win for privacy. So I guess they'll still be snooping around MSN Messengers :whi:.

Neteru
21-08-06, 15:30
Like they don't already?

Catapharact
21-08-06, 15:35
Offcourse they do. As soon as you write the word "Terrorist" or "Bomb," etc. you can bet your boxers that you are gonna be recorded.

Geck-o-Lizard
21-08-06, 15:37
I guess they've heard about my terrorist plan to blow up the Glasgow SECC during the next Oasis concert, using a variety of bombs implanted in delectable fruit!

Oh noes! D:

(Very glad to hear wiretapping's been made illegal. Privacy - 1, Big Brother - 0) :D

Mona Sax
21-08-06, 15:37
Thank god Bush can't **** with the judiciary like Berlusconi did in Italy (although I'm convinced he'd try if he could).

Catapharact
21-08-06, 15:41
I guess they've heard about my terrorist plan to blow up the Glasgow SECC during the next Oasis concert, using a variety of bombs implanted in delectable fruit!

Oh noes! D:

You do know that you just triggered an Interpol investigation on you :p Lol!

Geck-o-Lizard
21-08-06, 15:45
Ooh I hope so. I'll offer 'em a fruit salad when they pop round... :D

Cochrane
21-08-06, 15:54
Thank god Bush can't **** with the judiciary like Berlusconi did in Italy (although I'm convinced he'd try if he could).

I think the current lawsuit shows that he already tries.

On the other hand, this allows for all new kinds of government services, as illustrated in this story:

An old man, a muslim living in the USA, wanted to dig up his garden. So he sent an E-mail to his son, who was living quite far away, and asked him to help. The son replied with an e-mail saying "No, father, you must not dig up the garden! I've hidden the thing there and the unbelievers must never find it!".
The very next day, FBI, CIA, NSA and most other acronyms were sprawling around the old mans garden, looking under every stone, digging out close to all earth. They did not find anything.
The day after that, the old man recieved a second e-mail by his son. It read "I'm sorry, father, that I could not come over to help you dig your garden. My schedule is just too tight. I did everything I could to help you from here, and I figure your garden should be dug up know."

jarhead
21-08-06, 15:59
Ooh I hope so. I'll offer 'em a fruit salad when they pop round... :D

lol

glad its illegal, i bet we'd get done if we tapped into their hpone conversations

Paul H
21-08-06, 18:07
I think the current lawsuit shows that he already tries.

On the other hand, this allows for all new kinds of government services, as illustrated in this story:

An old man, a muslim living in the USA, wanted to dig up his garden. So he sent an E-mail to his son, who was living quite far away, and asked him to help. The son replied with an e-mail saying "No, father, you must not dig up the garden! I've hidden the thing there and the unbelievers must never find it!".
The very next day, FBI, CIA, NSA and most other acronyms were sprawling around the old mans garden, looking under every stone, digging out close to all earth. They did not find anything.
The day after that, the old man recieved a second e-mail by his son. It read "I'm sorry, father, that I could not come over to help you dig your garden. My schedule is just too tight. I did everything I could to help you from here, and I figure your garden should be dug up know."

:vlol::vlol::vlol::vlol: