PDA

View Full Version : Onyx - The mother of all Phones.

Catapharact
21-08-06, 22:16
Good God... me likey very much.

http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/08/onyx1.jpg

The Onyx - Synaptics' ClearPad concept phone

This is totally on the concept design tip and so won't ever actually be produced, but check out the Onyx, a prototype handset that Synaptics and Pilotfish put together that uses Synaptics' new ClearPad touch screen. We're still not totally sold on button-less phones -- we crave the tactility -- but the Onyx lets you do stuff like close an app by drawing an "X" over it with your finger, send messages by swiping them off the screen, and answer a call simply by placing the phone against your cheek. Don't expect to ever actually get your hands on the Onyx, but Synaptics is planning to make ClearPad available to manufacturers around the end of the year, so there's a decent chance that phones like it could start showing up within a couple of years.

Source: http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/08/21/the-onyx-synaptics-clearpad-concept-phone/

laracroft2122
21-08-06, 22:17
That phone...my god...must have

tr_mitch
21-08-06, 22:19
It looks pretty chunky, more of a weapon than a mobile.

Catapharact
21-08-06, 22:26
Concept design. Won't be going onto production until they figure out how to miniturize the technology so that this would be the new Razor..

DREWY
Hard to get an idea of scale, but it looks like the old 'bricks' we used to carry around. Worked well but cumbersome.

Lara Croft!
Yeah,I'd look like a primitive if I holded that phone....I would turn it around,biting and smelling it.....UGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

jarhead
21-08-06, 22:27
looks ok, but it'll get scratched, bent/snapped and rendered useless with in a few seconds, and think of the costs

Catapharact
21-08-06, 22:29
PEOPLE!

Its not huge; Its about the size of your current cellphones. The pic is a closeup shot of the design :p.

tr_mitch
21-08-06, 22:32
looks ok, but it'll get scratched, bent/snapped and rendered useless with in a few seconds, and think of the costs

Agreed, The screen is too wide.... You'd be worried about putting it anywhere through fear of cracking/smearing/scratching the screen.

But of course appearance is not everything, Content is important to... So if its got lot's of awesome stuff, then i'd think about it.
Unless it came with a big rip off price tag.

jarhead
21-08-06, 22:34
PEOPLE!

Its not huge; Its about the size of your current cellphones. The pic is a closeup shot of the design :p.

so if the button things ( areas to press on the screen) look smallish now, then there gonna be tiny,

i think its gonna be impraticle

Catapharact
21-08-06, 22:34

a) Unless you clean your table with cellphones, you have nothing to worry about.

b) Every new concept costs a lot in the begining. Take DVD players for instance. In time, they'll go down in price. This phone isn't for sale however; Its a concept designed to show the touchpad ability on phones.

laracroft2122
21-08-06, 22:35
a) Unless you clean your table with cellphones, you have nothing to worry about.

b) Every new concept costs a lot in the begining. Take DVD players for instance. In time, they'll go down in price. This phone isn't for sale however; Its a concept designed to show the touchpad ability on phones.

Come on people this phone is mint

PS. Cat got 4,444 posts :D

tr_mitch
21-08-06, 22:37
Come on people this phone is mint

I've now lost my interest in the phone now you used the word 'Mint'. :o

laracroft2122
21-08-06, 22:38
I've now lost my interest in the phone now you used the word 'Mint'. :o

What's wrong with Mint

tr_mitch
21-08-06, 22:39
What's wrong with Mint

English Culture.

jarhead
21-08-06, 22:40
Chav

No

Arghhh!!!!!

tr_mitch
21-08-06, 22:41
Chav

No

Arghhh!!!!!

Indeed and he's only 11, I need to get a plane ticket out of this country fast.

laracroft2122

I am not a chav
Not only chavs use the word "mint"

Have you guys got nothing better to do then write sarky comments about peoples language

jarhead

let me join, the chav culture is growing in youth

laracroft2122
21-08-06, 22:43
let me join, the chav culture is growing in youth

Excuse me - I am normal - And it is quite hard not to use language when your put in a high school with a worked out percentage of 90% chav!

jarhead
21-08-06, 22:45
Excuse me - I am normal - And it is quite hard not to use language when your put in a high school with a worked out percentage of 90% chav!

90% chavs

you have my deepest sympathes

it twas a joke, there are some chavs in my school, but the goths/grungers out do em :D

laracroft2122
21-08-06, 22:46
90% chavs

you have my deepest sympathes

it twas a joke, there are some chavs in my school, but the goths/grungers out do em :D

I can't stand it - Through the corridors, playing rave! I CANT STAND IT!
Thank you for your sympathies tho. Although mint isn't just a chav word although I hear it about 50 times a day

Catapharact
21-08-06, 22:46
*wacks everyone back on topic.*

New topic of discussion (along with the old topic.)

Cingular's answer to the blackberry.

Cingular 8525 (HTC Hermes) renderings leaked?

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadgetmobile.com/media/2006/08/8525-small.jpg

If you're familiar with the Hermes and you know that it's coming to Cingular 'fore too long, these supposed renderings of Cingular's variant (henceforth known as the 8525) should come with no surprises -- except one, that is. Note that the Hermes' front-facing cam is conspicuously missing here, allegedly removed at Cingular's request since their video calling infrastructure isn't quite ready for prime time. Of course, we would've preferred that they leave the cam in, disable it, and cut a new firmware down the road to re-enable it when video calling is live rather than ask HTC to cripple their hardware, but we're sure the corporate suits had their reasons.

refuse
21-08-06, 22:48
Looks really nice, i wouldent be buying it though.

tr_mitch
21-08-06, 22:49
They are pretty cool, but they strike me as the type of phone only office men would have, not really something i could see a female or teenage carrying around.

Catapharact
21-08-06, 22:50
The new Hermes is perfect for me. It has all the tools I need when I am out on corporate project; Built in Camera, Wireless Internet capability, Cellphone...

Simply perfect.

jarhead
21-08-06, 22:50
they look a tad to business like for me, and a bit chunkier. good idea though but looks more like a PDA then a phone

Catapharact
21-08-06, 22:52
It is mainly ment for corporate use; That is why I posted it :p.

Comeon... You're telling me that I am the only white collar 20 something on the forum? Lol!

tr_mitch
21-08-06, 22:54
The new Hermes is perfect for me. It has all the tools I need when I am out on corporate project; Built in Camera, Wireless Internet capability, Cellphone...

Simply perfect.

Haha, my steriotype pretty much hit the nail on the head then.

jarhead
21-08-06, 22:54

Comeon... You're telling me that I am the only white collar 20 something on the forum? Lol!

well comming from a place where yesterday a kid got a drain cover smashed in his face for a phone, i dont think i'll be getting a phone to suit a business man, knowing there gonna cost a few bob,.

and well im too lazy to have a job :o , na im too busy with studies to get a job

Catapharact
21-08-06, 22:58
Haha, my steriotype pretty much hit the nail on the head then.

It did. Then again, I don't expect teenagers to have the cash to afford such items.

Hmmm... There is UNDERTAKER though. Then again, I don't think he is a teenager.

tr_mitch
21-08-06, 23:02
It did. Then again, I don't expect teenagers to have the cash to afford such items.

Hmmm... There is UNDERTAKER though. Then again, I don't think he is a teenager.

Your wrongly mistaken there... I myself am working part time aswell as in full time education, and am pay for my recently new computer, My internet bill... Which i had fitted into my room, and a trip to New York next year.... All being paid by my own money.

The parents kinda want me to grow up to fend for myself, and not have everything served on a plate like most teens... and i can perfectly see where there coming from.

If i wanted a brand spanking new exspensive phone, i'd do extra shifts and save up to get it.
But i'm sure if most typical teenagers pleaded with there parents enough, they'd get what i get... But of course they wouldn't get the satisfaction that what they have is theres by there own cause.

DREWY
21-08-06, 23:03

No me too. I work on building planning and construction, much like you do? Probably on a smaller scale. Residential.

PEOPLE!

Its not huge; Its about the size of your current cellphones. The pic is a closeup shot of the design

This was my point, we had nothing to give us an idea of scale.

Catapharact
21-08-06, 23:09
Your wrongly mistaken there... I myself am working part time aswell as in full time education, and am pay for my recently new computer, My internet bill... Which i had fitted into my room, and a trip to New York next year.... All being paid by my own money.

The parents kinda want me to grow up to fend for myself, and not have everything served on a plate like most teens... and i can perfectly see where there coming from.

If i wanted a brand spanking new exspensive phone, i'd do extra shifts and save up to get it.
But i'm sure if most typical teenagers pleaded with there parents enough, they'd get what i get... But of course they wouldn't get the satisfaction that what they have is theres by there own cause.

Thus you see where stereotyping gets you (though... It has its magic in converting a few dochbags into productive members of society.)

Becareful as to how you stereotype. I judge by action, not by image. Same applies to you (just don't get on my bad side. Simple as that.)

Kudos. You work and not laze around and complain all day as to how life is unfair.

No me too. I work on building planning and construction, much like you do? Probably on a smaller scale. Residential.

Glad to know that :D. I work on a larger scale, yes. Al-Ertifa has been the leading corporation for many projects. Lately it has been pipeline work but we have done projects as big as muli-dealer showrooms and buildings.

tr_mitch
21-08-06, 23:15
Becareful as to how you stereotype. I judge by action, not by image. Same applies to you (just don't get on my bad side. Simple as that.)

I do judge my actions, In fact my two closest friends are everything the opposite of me, They've never worked a day in there lifes... and don't intend to untill the back of mum and dad sadly closes.

(just don't get on my bad side. Simple as that.)
Ahhh you must know me well enough by now to know that i'm not the type of person to care. ;)

Catapharact
21-08-06, 23:18
Ahhh you must know me well enough by now to know that i'm not the type of person to care. ;)

You've got balls. I'll respect that much. You seemed to have cared a lot before as I remember *cough* PM *Cough.* Looks like I have done my work.

tr_mitch
21-08-06, 23:22
You've got balls. I'll respect that much. You seemed to have cared a lot before as I remember *cough* PM *Cough.* Looks like I have done my work.

Would it help if i said that was only to make a certain other member feel a lot better.
And no 'Kudos' to you unfortunately... I've always been the 'You mistake me for someone who gives a damn' type person.
Just when that all happened, i was relatively new to there forums... I pretty much know everyone now, so theres no point in me bothering to pretend like i care about half the threads anymore.

JACOBryanBURNS
21-08-06, 23:23
No...I'm pretty sure this was the mother of all phones:

http://www.pocahontastimes.com/mtntimes/sharpphone.jpg

;)

Catapharact
21-08-06, 23:27
Would it help if i said that was only to make a certain other member feel a lot better.
And no 'Kudos' to you unfortunately... I've always been the 'You mistake me for someone who gives a damn' type person.
Just when that all happened, i was relatively new to there forums... I pretty much know everyone now, so theres no point in me bothering to pretend like i care about half the threads anymore.

Its because until I get a really clear picture as to who you are and not who you mask yourself to be; I'll have my assumptions.

Harsh Truth:

As much as you could assume that you are unique... You are not. Ppl like you come a dime a dozen and always will. Until I see actual sense of responsibility on your part (which I don't see... Believe me,) you're still a toddler who keeps repeating "I don't give a damn."

Cheerio :wve:.

RoseTyler
21-08-06, 23:30
I don't like this phone... doesn't really look like a phone. I'll stick with my Samsung :D

tr_mitch
21-08-06, 23:31
Its because until I get a really clear picture as to who you are and not who you mask yourself to be; I'll have my assumptions.

Harsh Truth:

As much as you could assume that you are unique... You are not. Ppl like you come a dime a dozen and always will. Until I see actual sense of responsibility on your part (which I don't see... Believe me,) you're still a toddler who keeps repeating "I don't give a damn."

Cheerio :wve:.

But the truth is, I really don't give a damn. I don't see myself as unique because i know i'm damn well not, and i'll definatley not try to be something i'm not... Since that's what i've always said and always will say to my friends and people i meet in life.

You can believe all you like my friend.... But the 'Harsh Truth' is i really honestly 'don't care' what you think of me ;) And untill you learn that, you'll always be making asumptions of who i really am.
Farewell :wve:

RoseTyler
21-08-06, 23:32
Hmm interesting... I thought this thread was supposed to be about a phone :confused: :vlol:

DREWY
21-08-06, 23:34
Settle down and take a breath you two. Sticks and stones and all that :wve:

Edit: Thanx Rose, you beat me too it :tmb:

Catapharact
21-08-06, 23:38
Nah! As you can see; No insults, No flaming.

He has his view, I have mine.

Back on topic.

BoyTRaider
22-08-06, 00:03
Wow! That phone is amazing. :tmb:

Angelx14
22-08-06, 05:40
Don't like phones. But looks good.:)

Neteru
22-08-06, 08:53
Good God... me likey very much.

http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/08/onyx1.jpg

Reminds me of my current buttonless landline phone, which I love. Very stylish.

http://www.magicboxproducts.co.uk/images/PhoneImages/518596828_Large%20Touch%20Single.jpg

Tomb Raider Master
22-08-06, 09:05
God! :eek: That mobile is awesome! :tmb:

badboy70
22-08-06, 10:04
*drools* that's a phone i want :jmp:

Catapharact
22-08-06, 10:56
Reminds me of my current buttonless landline phone, which I love. Very stylish.

http://www.magicboxproducts.co.uk/images/PhoneImages/518596828_Large%20Touch%20Single.jpg

Two questions Net:

- What's the price of that elegent piece of machinery?

- Where did ya get it from? (or is there a place where I can order it from the web?)

Neteru
22-08-06, 11:19
Mine cost me £50 at a shop here in UK. I don't know if you could get it on the web, or even if it's suitable for telephone networks outside the UK. Check the makers website Magicbox (http://www.magicboxproducts.co.uk)

Min
22-08-06, 11:25
I think its really quite ugly!

Catapharact
22-08-06, 11:26
Mine cost me £50 at a shop here in UK. I don't know if you could get it on the web, or even if it's suitable for telephone networks outside the UK. Check the makers website Magicbox (http://www.magicboxproducts.co.uk)

Thanks for the link. I e-mailed them concerning the specifics regarding the Touch phone (man I like the name Touch; Goes right to the point Lol!)

Neteru
22-08-06, 11:33
LOL It's very odd using it at first, because it requires just the slightest touch. It really is like a Star Trek TNG command module. :D

tr_mitch
22-08-06, 11:34
My dad has one of them touch phone, I don't like them at all.
You have to take it slow and half the time you either touch it too gently or too hard.

Catapharact
22-08-06, 11:39
LOL It's very odd using it at first, because it requires just the slightest touch. It really is like a Star Trek TNG command module. :D

Sounds even better. It would be the perfect addition for the wreck room; Already got a futuristic theme going for it Lol!

Neteru
22-08-06, 11:44
You have to take it slow and half the time you either touch it too gently or too hard.I don't find that at all.

tr_mitch
22-08-06, 11:46
I don't find that at all.
It depends, What type of phone have you got?
The button's are close together on the one i'm talking about, I'll try and find a picture... And taking a picture is almost impossible without clicking something else by accident.

Neteru
22-08-06, 12:16
I have the one pictured immediately above. I can imagine though that with a smaller mobile it would in fact be a nightmare.

tr_mitch
22-08-06, 12:38
http://www.probuem.ru/i/uploads/LG_Chocolate.jpg
See the buttons are so close that one accidental slide and you could press cancel and shizz.
It's pretty damn annoying.

Neteru
22-08-06, 13:18
Yeah. That's the problem with a lot of technology nowadays I think. Buttons crammed far too close together.