PDA

View Full Version : The most Spectacular Skywatching Event!!!!

angelika
22-08-06, 11:10
HAVE YOU EVER SEEN TWO MOON ON THE NIGHT SKY???

The Red Planet is about to be spectacular! This month , Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10 p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.

By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30 a.m. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month. Share this with your children and grandchildren.
NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/25aug_closeencounter.htm

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/mars_preview_021108.html

Catapharact
22-08-06, 11:13
Me live in a town, away from pollution, on top of a mountain chain, and in a new open coomunity.

Translation: I am so gonna see this.

raiderfun
22-08-06, 11:13
INCREDIBLE ! :cln:

ace_85
22-08-06, 11:15
Wow! Thanks for the link Angelika, I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for this over the next few days. I usually take quite an interest in this sort of thing, so I'm slightly embarrassed that this is the first time I've heard about it :o

Rivendell
22-08-06, 11:18
Don't want to burst the bubble guys, but apparently this "August 27th Mars & Moon story" is a hoax started by a chain email :( It's been scientifically spruced up now though by the look of it.
And apparently the actual event happened in 2003, and wasn't anything as spectacular as it sounds.

Scionic Evil
22-08-06, 11:19
HAVE YOU EVER SEEN TWO MOON ON THE NIGHT SKY???

The Red Planet is about to be spectacular! This month , Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10 p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.

By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30 a.m. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month. Share this with your children and grandchildren.

There's no proof Mars exists, do you not find it odd that every ''astronomer'' agrees with it's existance like the moon. For all we know it could just be a big conspiracy.

angelika
22-08-06, 11:21
There's no proof Mars exists, do you not find it odd that every ''astronomer'' agrees with it's existance like the moon. For all we know it could just be a big conspiracy.

:eek: I just lost all my hair

ace_85
22-08-06, 11:22
Don't want to burst the bubble guys, but apparently this "August 27th Mars & Moon story" is a hoax started by a chain email :( It's been scientifically spruced up now though by the look of it.
And apparently the actual event happened in 2003, and wasn't anything as spectacular as it sounds.
:( After reading the links fully, I think you're right Riv. There are photos dated October, which is impressively modest on the behalf of the author because, if so, they also seem to have cracked the secret of travelling into the future ;)

Angelx14
22-08-06, 11:23

By which one GTM?..

Thanks for the info Angelika. I'd like to see it..:cln:

Edit:

O.o..

raiderfun
22-08-06, 11:23
:vlol: lol

Catapharact
22-08-06, 11:24

Note to self: Rid the world of Hoax playing spammers.

Rivendell
22-08-06, 11:24

*Picks it up and glues it back on.*
There, good as new :D

Angelx14
22-08-06, 11:25
^LOL.:vlol:
I can bet now she looks even better than before.:D

angelika
22-08-06, 11:29

You are actually right. I was so amazed to read it I didn't notice the year.

My apologies
A mod to erase thread,pls

Min
22-08-06, 12:24
Ausome! Look how close australia is to it! And Where I live is way higher than sydney, I should be able to get some excellent shots for you all! Plus I dont live in a city, so now light pollution!

Rivendell
22-08-06, 12:32
Psst, please see above ;)

Angelx14
22-08-06, 12:35
Ausome! Look how close australia is to it! And Where I live is way higher than sydney, I should be able to get some excellent shots for you all! Plus I dont live in a city, so now light pollution!
Look at this min:

Don't want to burst the bubble guys, but apparently this "August 27th Mars & Moon story" is a hoax started by a chain email It's been scientifically spruced up now though by the look of it.
And apparently the actual event happened in 2003, and wasn't anything as spectacular as it sounds

:wve:

Min
22-08-06, 12:39
lol, I know! I was just playing the con, oh well.

Couldnt you tell how sarcastically excited i was?

Besides if Mars was 55km away from tahiti or whatever, we would have a massive collsion, probably destroying the earth

jarhead
22-08-06, 13:01
oh i'll be in the garden waiting for it

Scionic Evil
22-08-06, 13:08
lol, I know! I was just playing the con, oh well.

Couldnt you tell how sarcastically excited i was?

Besides if Mars was 55km away from tahiti or whatever, we would have a massive collsion, probably destroying the earth

Mars does NOT exist i've said this before.