PDA

View Full Version : 1,425,000

Lew
23-08-06, 14:07
When a senior official told MPs he did not have the "faintest idea" how many illegal immigrants there were in the UK it plunged an already battered Home Office into fresh crisis back in May.

Anyone trying to find the answer to that question in the small forest of immigration statistics released by the government on Tuesday will search in vain.

What they should be able to do, however, is work out how many legal immigrants have come to the UK - although, even here, the figures are open to debate and interpretation.

Close study of the plethora of figures - which cover slightly different time spans and may overlap - suggests more than 1.4m non-British people were given the right to live and/or work in the UK in the two years since May 2004.

Of that total, 427,000 were people registering to work from the eight former Eastern Bloc countries which joined the EU in 2004, with the majority coming from Poland.

Add to that the number of self-employed people from those countries - and here we have to take a Home Office minister's estimate rather than official figures - then the total from the eight former EU states reaches "about 600,000".

There are no figures for the number of children or spouses accompanying the self-employed, but we do know that the 427,000 registered workers brought with them 36,000 dependants.

That brings the total of people given the right to live and/or work in the UK from the new EU member countries to 636,000 since May 2004.

Significant increases

Over the same period, migration from outside the EU also reached record levels, something largely overlooked in the coverage of the accession states.

Some 318,330 people were granted the right to settle in the UK in 2005 and 2004 from non-EU countries, according to Tuesday's figures.

The largest increase was in people coming from Africa, which contributed 54,080 new arrivals in 2005 and 39,430 in 2004.

There were also significant increases in people coming from the Indian sub-continent, which contributed 24,235 in 2004 and 28,990 in 2005, and the Middle East, which contributed 9,395 people in 2005, up from 6,045 in 2004.

Immigration from European countries currently outside the EU, such as Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania and the former Soviet Union, also went up over the two year period, to 20,810 in 2005.

Migration from the Americas stayed relatively static.

While many of the people granted right of settlement may have already been in the UK for at least four years, the figure is symbolically important as it represents a more permanent relationship with the country.

If you then factor in people granted permanent settlement under the asylum system in 2004 and 2005, which adds up to 123,000, the total tops a million. (these people might be included in the previous figure, but the Home Office have at the time of publication been unable to clarify the point)

Original Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5274476.stm

Neteru
23-08-06, 14:16
That's about 2% of the entire population of the United Kingdom. A tiny figure.

Lew
23-08-06, 14:20
That's about 2% of the entire population of the United Kingdom. A tiny figure.

Yes but they're all illegal not legal immigrants, which is alot.

Neteru
23-08-06, 14:23
Close study of the plethora of figures - which cover slightly different time spans and may overlap - suggests more than 1.4m non-British people were given the right to live and/or work in the UK in the two years since May 2004.If they were given the right to live and/or work in the UK, they are, by definition, not illegal.

angelika
23-08-06, 15:35
You don't want to know what that number is in Greece,trust me.

Edit: Line removed. Now, now, let's not post like that.

dbot
23-08-06, 15:42
The US has a similar immigration problem. Texas is now a minority majority state, with blacks hispanics and probably asians accounting for more of a percentage than white people. The illegal problem though, i think is almost exclusively hispanic. And of course this issue causes another rift between the republicans and democrats. Democrats seem to want to give them varying degrees of amnesty, while Republicans take the harsher route by wanting to kick them out. At least as far as I know about the situation, which is really very little

Taleigha
23-08-06, 18:33
You don't want to know what that number is in Greece,trust me.

Edit: Line removed. Now, now, let's not post like that.
aww. i want to know what she said...:(

rika2
23-08-06, 18:34

me too...

jarhead
23-08-06, 18:35

me too actually, but greece is a nice country, england is a bit less nice