PDA

View Full Version : World's First Hybrid Supercar.

Catapharact
23-08-06, 16:09
For the environmentally concious gung-ho drivers:

http://www.penn-partners.org/evteam/attack3.jpg

"The Attack:"

As the WPEVP has grown and enjoyed outstanding levels of success, we are continuously looking for ways to challenge our students as well as ourselves. In attempt to do so, the students created a unique application of hybrid technology as the result of an intensive summer research program. In their research they found that hybrid electric vehicles have already proven that they can achieve great fuel economy, but this technology had not been used for increased performance. Therefore, the WPEVP students created design plans for the world’s first hybrid supercar.

Modern supercars currently rely on huge engines to produce the power required to propel their occupants to breathtaking speeds. The students have found that coupling a high efficiency engine with a high output electric motor packaged in a lightweight body would exceed the acceleration of all supercars presently available. To achieve this, the students plan to use the K1 Attack as a platform (only 1800lbs) with a VW turbo diesel (200hp) powering the rear wheels, and AC Propulsions electric motor (200hp) powering the front wheels. To keep the weight low, the electric motor will be powered by a 450 volt ultra-capacitor pack (weighing only 200lbs). This configuration will allow the super hybrid to attain an impressive fuel economy of 50mpg and a zero to sixty acceleration under 4 seconds. Under normal driving conditions, the vehicle will solely be powered by the diesel engine. Therefore, the ultra-capacitor pack stores only enough energy for a few minutes of blazing acceleration.

Lara's Boy
23-08-06, 16:15
That's an interesting read, and the car actually looks pretty amazing.

Thanks for the good read, Cat :wve:

Nicky
23-08-06, 16:16
It's beautiful! :eek: I'm so getting one :whi: :D :p

Wonder how much will it cost though :D

Lenochka
23-08-06, 16:18
Wooow! thats one hott little car! Show me where one is in electric blue and im allll over it!

Neteru
23-08-06, 16:18
OOOH! Me likey!!

Catapharact
23-08-06, 16:20
It's beautiful! :eek: I'm so getting one :whi: :D :p

Right now its just a project concept :). Its obvious that ppl are already taking note of its incredible potential. It kinda reminds me of the Spyker C8. With 400 HP in the trunk and an engine that can run on Biodiesel... Its worth it.

Lara's Boy
23-08-06, 16:20

Good point, I noticed how they conveniently left out the price....:pi:

Either way, I really want one now :D

Catapharact
23-08-06, 16:26
As I said, its still a concept.

Here is the team that worked on the car (a bunch of hhigh school kids. See what determination and ambition can lead ppl to do. A perfect example of success.)

http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/8816914257178892.JPG?0.35243076098154546

Andromeda66
23-08-06, 16:31
Now thats a real beauty :eek:

thevman
23-08-06, 16:54
This configuration will allow the super hybrid to attain an impressive fuel economy of 50mpg and a zero to sixty acceleration under 4 seconds. Under normal driving conditions, the vehicle will solely be powered by the diesel engine. Therefore, the ultra-capacitor pack stores only enough energy for a few minutes of blazing acceleration.

Hmmm, I'll stck with my gas guzzler and keep the performance for more than "a few minutes of blazing acceleration"... :cln: I still get to 60 in less than 4 seconds and don't have to wait for any batteries to charge... :D (409RWHP)

http://home.comcast.net/~tuki12/banner3.jpg

Catapharact
23-08-06, 19:05
Well, consider this:

This little puppy can give you all that performance with nothing but distilled vegitable oil in the tank.

400 HP, Enviornmentally friendly, Easy on the wallet and definately a looker. What more can a guy ask for? ;)

Lenochka
23-08-06, 19:36
Well, consider this:

This little puppy can give you all that performance with nothing but distilled vegitable oil in the tank.

400 HP, Enviornmentally friendly, Easy on the wallet and definately a looker. What more can a guy ask for? ;)

Vegtable oil hehe XD so your telling me if i forgot to pick some up at the market i could just pump some out of my car... :p

Wolfguard
23-08-06, 19:55
Cool! It's like a giant Hot Wheels car! Yeah, I'd trade mine in for that. :D

Catapharact
23-08-06, 20:08
Vegtable oil hehe XD so your telling me if i forgot to pick some up at the market i could just pump some out of my car... :p

You could, if you do remember to keep your gas tank clean ;). Remember that its distilled Vegitable oil, so glycerine has been removed out from it.

Wolfguard:

Lol! Now that I think about it, it does. The chassis comes from Acura's Body Kit department.

thevman
23-08-06, 20:42
Only a brief moment of speed due to small battery reserve is still too big a loss, still sticks with gasoline consuming car.

Cochrane
23-08-06, 22:24
I find the idea of using electricity only for performance boosts interesting. I think I heard of some other product that uses this before. I thought it was the Green Goat diesel switcher (http://www.railpower.com/products_gg.html), but that works differently.

About design and performance: Who cares? It's the cool technology that counts.

Catapharact
24-08-06, 01:12
Wha?

Design and performance are totally essentail ;). Whats the point of throwing good money into something if all you're gonna get is a boring design and a slowpoke? Take the Smartcar for instance, or the Toyota Prius, and I don't care how fast it accelirates but I CAN'T STAND the Mini Cooper :p.

This Car however gives you every thing: Performance, Design and practicallity.

LegenDarY
24-08-06, 01:21
interesting.. i think it's really time for people to think about how we are polutting our planet.. if everyone starts using cars like these.. there may be a future for our grandchildren

and the best thing about it is that it's a really good looking car, that will help convince people to buying this car

Catapharact
26-08-06, 22:42
I know, I know... Necroposting. Actually, not exactly... The thread was only at pg. 7. Besides, me not in the mood for creating multiple thread on similar topics.

Anyway:

Diesel-powered "car" edges on half the speed of sound

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/08/dieselmax-350mph.jpg

JCB, a UK firm which specializes in construction equipment (read: making tractors) appears to have become bored with life in the slow lane. At least that's what the company's sponsorship of the JCB DieselMax seems to suggest, as the team piloting the DieselMax just recently broke the diesel land speed record at 350mph (yeah, but does it have GPS?). The feat, which took place at the local Salt Lake City street racing venue on the Bonneville Salt Flats, puts the previous record of 237mph to shame, although it's worth noting that the new record is still awaiting ratification by the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. Unbelievably, the team isn't finished yet, with one crew member excitedly exclaiming that they "still haven't used sixth gear!" We also heard reports from an inside source that during the run the team decided not to turn up the volume to 11, either.